[/[Print]\]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
City of IF -> The Greatest Fantasy Story Ever

#41:  Author: thebean203 PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:56 am
    —
Blythe...I know someone named Blythe...

#42:  Author: ArgonautLocation: California PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:20 pm
    —
Thank you for your compliments Miss Alba. (though I may look better as a drawing than I do as a photograph :wink: .)

Also I just love that phrase "The Boba Fett of geography" hahaha fantastic!

#43:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:31 pm
    —
Well I have never visited any of those places you listed, Alba. But I know I did like Arizona. I visited it once, and loved the hot weather there. It wasn't as humid as the East Coast, otherwise I would have been drying out real badly. Very Happy

#44:  Author: Solomon BirchLocation: England..... but Japan beckons..... PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:54 am
    —
Hahaha! I loved that Boba Fett comment too! Wonderful! Laughing :biggrin:

#45:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:57 am
    —
I would vote Arkansaw (sic?) as a place to be bored to death in.

Gah! *shudders with the recollection*

#46:  Author: SchoolMarm! PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:09 pm
    —
Solomon Birch wrote:

Noticed one thing:

Quote:
The prince drummed his fingers boredly on the arm of his father's throne

I think the sentance would work better as:

Quote:
The Prince boredly drummed his fingers on the arm of his father's throne

Or something else.

Allow your beloved SchoolMarm! to provide you with a small hint, Mr. Birch: the correct answer is "something else".

Try to imagine the depth of my disappointment, children. When I first saw that Mr. Birch was going to attempt a usage correction, I naturally cringed with foreboding, a reaction born of long and painful experience. However, I then saw that our would-be grammar maven properly identified not only the errant sentence, but (mirabile dictu!) the offending word itself. At that moment, your SchoolMarm!, who is nothing if not a romantic at heart, felt just like a mother bird who watches her chick stretch its wings and fly free for the first time.

Needless to say, after those first strong flaps, our Mr. Birch lost control and crashed into the yard below, where he was snapped up by a tomcat before he could let out a single chirp of dismay.

A suggestion, Mr. Birch: before you start rearranging things in a sentence, you should first consider replacing them with ACTUAL ENGLISH WORDS. "Boredly"?! Really, Mr. Birch, you can do better. Your generous and forgiving old SchoolMarm! now presents you with an opportunity. If you correct your correction quickly (and correctly, of course), she will not even mention the atrocious spelling exhibited in your pre-correction SENTENCE.

#47:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:17 pm
    —
Hurrah for Schoolmarm! Very Happy

Give him six of the best miss!

#48:  Author: Thracia AlbaLocation: The Golden State PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:34 pm
    —
"Boredly" isn't a real English word? Sad But I've been using it for years! What will I do? What can I say? "In a bored manner/fashion"? "..." No, actually, I can't think of anything else. This is quite a stunning revelation, though, SchoolMarm!. I think I need to sit down...

#49:  Author: SmeeLocation: UK PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:37 pm
    —
*Smashes open the 'In case of Marm!' box and quickly takes out the flask of Sake and pours it down Soily's throat.*

Speak to me boy Wink

#50:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:44 pm
    —
Thracia Alba wrote:
"Boredly" isn't a real English word? Sad But I've been using it for years! What will I do? What can I say? "In a bored manner/fashion"? "..." No, actually, I can't think of anything else. This is quite a stunning revelation, though, SchoolMarm!. I think I need to sit down...

hehe. But you also use 'grody'. I think I am going to use that word for the name of a character in a story!!

#51:  Author: Thracia AlbaLocation: The Golden State PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:22 pm
    —
Ooh, cool! As the Chili Peppers would put it, "dream of Californication..." Soon you all will be totally corrupted! Mua-hahahahahahahaaaa! Cough.

#52:  Author: Solomon BirchLocation: England..... but Japan beckons..... PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:39 am
    —
Yeah, well, this is going to sound like I'm just making excuses (which I am, but.... just... shush), but as long as a word doesn't make any sense at all, and you're not writing an english exam, then I don't mind. Sure, if it's a horrible mistake then cane my behind, but let's just consider it to be another one of Thrace's lovely Californianisms, shall we? Wink

Shall I go to the headmaster now...? Shocked

Last edited by Solomon Birch on Tue May 16, 2006 8:11 am; edited 2 times in total

#53:  Author: Mother GooseLocation: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:39 am
    —
I agree "boredly" does sound funny and is not in the dictionary, but I'm inclined to let it pass. After all, "excitedly" is a perfectly good word.

You could say listlessly, apathetically, with a bored look, or some other phrase if you want to avoid the break in the flow (among people who don't recognize the word).

But yes, Soily, you can report to the headmaster for "your" for "you're"
and "Calafornia" for California!

#54:  Author: SchoolMarm! PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:24 am
    —
Mother Goose wrote:
I agree "boredly" does sound funny and is not in the dictionary, but I'm inclined to let it pass. After all, "excitedly" is a perfectly good word.

This is true, Ms. Goose, and if the prince had found the act of drumming his fingers exhilarating, your point may even have been relevant.

Thracia Alba wrote:
What can I say? "In a bored manner/fashion"? "..." No, actually, I can't think of anything else.

Oh dear. Such an imaginative story, Ms. Alba, and yet you find yourself stymied by such a simple puzzle? Allow me to help, since Mr. Birch has not seen fit to remedy his error.

"Bored, the prince drummed his fingers on the arm of his father's throne."
"The prince, bored, drummed his fingers on the arm of his father's throne."
"The prince restlessly drummed his fingers on the arm of his father's throne."
"The prince apathetically drummed his fingers on the arm of his father's throne." (thank you, Ms. Goose)
"The prince drummed his fingers on the arm of his father's throne and thought to himself, "Oh, I am bored. I am so incredibly bored. Bored bored bored."

Mother Goose wrote:
But yes, Soily, you can report to the headmaster for "your" for "you're"
and "Calafornia" for California!

Most observant, Ms. Goose: you get a gold star. But I urge all of you children to examine Mr. Birch's missive even more closely, for you will spot a rare beast indeed: the reverse "its"/"it's" error. As you know, it takes no great skill to spot an "it's" occupying the spot properly claimed by "its": you need only examine the writing of Mr. Smee, Ms. Wing, Mr. Reiso, Mr. Alegria, Ms. Alba, Mr. Ofthenight, Ms. Phang and Ms. Stoat to see numerous examples of this error. But the reverse mistake is far less common. Thank you for providing us with an excellent example, Mr. Birch.

And no, you may not go to the Headmaster's office, Mr. Birch. Ms. Fauna is much too soft to provide any meaningful discipline for the students. You will instead approach my desk. Hmm, I know my ruler's around here somewhere...

#55:  Author: Thracia AlbaLocation: The Golden State PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:07 am
    —
Mrs. SchoolMarm!, Ma'am, you both terrify and intrigue me at the same time. Thank you for pointing out that "boredly" is not a real word, or else I never would have known (until, of course, some other intelligent person came along and pointed it out). I solemnly swear, from this day forth, to never again use the non-word "boredly", whether it be within speech, poetry, or prose.

I'll just use one of my other ninety million non-words instead. Wink

#56:  Author: The Powers That BeLocation: Santa Monica, CA PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:33 am
    —
Thracia Alba wrote:
*hangs head in shame* So I've been found out for being a hopeless Californian. What's next? Sushi, yoga classes, surfing? all is bleak. Sad

Bah. Be proud! California is a truly wonderful place to live.

That is, as long as you don't live in Orange County...

#57:  Author: Thracia AlbaLocation: The Golden State PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:51 am
    —
Here, here! Amen, brutha!

#58:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:53 pm
    —
Quote:
As you know, it takes no great skill to spot an "it's" occupying the spot properly claimed by "its": you need only examine the writing of Mr. Smee, Ms. Wing, Mr. Reiso, Mr. Alegria, Ms. Alba, Mr. Ofthenight, Ms. Phang and Ms. Stoat to see numerous examples of this error. But the reverse mistake is far less common. [/quote]

Who knew so many of us make that error. But then again it has been nearly two years since I wrote my first SG, so hopefully my writing has improved and I don't write in such a way that offends the Marm here.

Quote:
Thank you for providing us with an excellent example, Mr. Birch.

Best take that as a compliment, Soily. LOL.

Quote:
Needless to say, after those first strong flaps, our Mr. Birch lost control and crashed into the yard below, where he was snapped up by a tomcat before he could let out a single chirp of dismay.

LOL. Poor Soily. To be some cruelly treated.

#59:  Author: Thracia AlbaLocation: The Golden State PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:27 pm
    —
Quote:
As you know, it takes no great skill to spot an "it's" occupying the spot properly claimed by "its": you need only examine the writing of Mr. Smee, Ms. Wing, Mr. Reiso, Mr. Alegria, Ms. Alba, Mr. Ofthenight, Ms. Phang and Ms. Stoat to see numerous examples of this error. But the reverse mistake is far less common.

Really? Blink I always thought I was pretty good about that. I must be slacking off...

#60:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:17 pm
    —
I find myself making that simple mistake as well, but I do always try and correct it.

How kind of you to bring it to my attention, I was unaware you participated in the enjoyment of any of my stories.

#61:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:30 am
    —
I didn't think Marm was reading mine either. She must she just read and not comment.

#62:  Author: Thracia AlbaLocation: The Golden State PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:30 pm
    —
So should I feel honored that our resident 'Marm(!) took the time to point out my horrific grammatical error? Or perhaps that's more Soily's honor, since she pointed out his error in correcting my error (not error, really, just a really awkward sentence).

#63:  Author: OldJoeLocation: On mah steed. PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:05 pm
    —
Ah voted fer following the gal.

#64:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:33 pm
    —
It wasn't that bad an error. Besides she just used Soily as an example. She just decided to list off other names of those authors who also have the same problem. You and I included. Wink

#65:  Author: Idea masterLocation: Sneaking Idearium into your beverages. PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:50 pm
    —
I must say, I've caught up on this story, and am enjoying it so far. There's too much funny stuff to list, so I won't even try to.
But yeah. He's a teenage male (Albeit a clueless adventurer type), what's he gonna do?
And sleeping through an earthquake is nothing, compared to me. I've slept through a hurricane, a concert, and half of Las Vegas. At night.
Oh, and half of school, total. But there is light at the end of the tunnel...glorious, beatious light that took me four years to get to! And finally, it is MINE!!! MUWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
*Cough* Ahem. Roll

#66:  Author: Thracia AlbaLocation: The Golden State PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:44 pm
    —
Laughing Congrats, IM! We'll have to throw a big IF-style party for you and you, Rave, Soily, and any other grads I'm leaving out. I was actually pretty sad when I graduated in '04 (w00t!), mostly because it meant I couldn't be in the marching band anymore. Ah, those were some good years... <-- Total band geek x 1,000.

I was hoping one of the emerging Californians who read this story would get the "Norridge" earthquake reference... But then again, it was a stupid reference.

Last edited by Thracia Alba on Thu May 18, 2006 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

#67:  Author: The Powers That BeLocation: Santa Monica, CA PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:47 pm
    —
Thracia Alba wrote:
I was hoping one of the emerging Californians who read this story would get the Norridge earthquake reference... But then again, it was a stupid reference.

Worry not, your many California references are recognized and appreciated.

*wanders away, muttering graduated in 2004?! oh, i'm so old!*

#68:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:04 am
    —
Yay!! IM is graduating also! Actually my graduation is next Saturday, the 27th. *eyes begin to tear* Four memorable years, full of sorrow, grief and a little bit of happiness. Actually a lot of happiness since I have had such good friends those four years.

So when shall the party be hosted?
Wink

#69:  Author: Thracia AlbaLocation: The Golden State PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:49 am
    —
Idunno. I just suggested it. I never was good at this whole party-organizing stuff; something about being a total flake, hm...

#70:  Author: Solomon BirchLocation: England..... but Japan beckons..... PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:01 am
    —
Well, no 'graduation' for me. Just study-leave before my exams. Great. Woo-hoo. Time to sit at home, attempting to revise, but being unable to because of the mind-numbing boredness. Ah well. Soon I shall have months and months of mind-numbing boredness before I bugger off and get out of the country! :biggrin:

#71:  Author: Thracia AlbaLocation: The Golden State PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:42 pm
    —
Sorry, I don't know how the heck your school system works over there. Some English girl tried explaining it to me but, well... she wasn't very clear. Or maybe I'm just dense. Could be, hmmm...

So where will you be going, O Soiled One? Japan, as your location thingy mentions?

#72:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:25 pm
    —
I am thinking that is a likely choice, Alba.

#73:  Author: Araex PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:54 am
    —
He's a Japanese obsessive-ish, as far as I know. So yeah, not much, but I'd guess Japan.

#74:  Author: Solomon BirchLocation: England..... but Japan beckons..... PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:15 am
    —
Yeah, Japan is one of the destinations. After California and Australia. And if we have time, and money, Hong Kong is also on the list. :biggrin:

I can't wait. I'm going to be so poor at the end, but I can't wait. Very Happy

#75:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:18 am
    —
Solomon Birch wrote:
Yeah, Japan is one of the destinations. After California and Australia. And if we have time, and money, Hong Kong is also on the list. :biggrin:

I have never managed to get around to Japan, but I hear it is very expensive. Sad

#76:  Author: Solomon BirchLocation: England..... but Japan beckons..... PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:20 am
    —
Well, it can be, but like most places, if you look hard enough you can find cheaper alternatives. We've found a hostel that is really cheap, and you can eat well in Japan for about £6, so it's not that bad. Not much worse than most places.

#77:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:11 pm
    —
And you're going to get abducted and sold as slaves on the market. Ok, maybe I'm just being optomistic.

#78:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:36 pm
    —
Sounds like fun, Soily. I wish I had the time and money to go to Japan, and all those other countries. But alas, I am just going to Mexico for a few days this summer. I can't do that much since I have to deal with all the college stuff.

#79:  Author: Thracia AlbaLocation: The Golden State PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:27 pm
    —
Solomon Birch wrote:

Oooh, ooh, come over to Cali! I'll pick you up at LAX and we can explore the terrifying (it's actually not as bad as most people think; you just have to know the right areas) jungle that is Los Angeles, and we can go to the beach and throw rocks at surfers, and we can post pictures in the Open Forum and everyone will be soooo jealous. Or something like that. Wink

It really is promising to be a lovely Summer, though. If it'll stop being so darn gloomy and rainy (in my area), that is.

(Oh, and just in case anyone's thinking I'm slacking off on getting chapter seven done, I just want to say that there is no truth in that whatsoever, so stop spreading ugly rumors. Wink )

#80:  Author: SmeeLocation: UK PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:59 pm
    —
Wow - 17 votes - I think that's verging on an IF record.

Woo - go Thracia Razz

City of IF -> The Greatest Fantasy Story Ever

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 8 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
Page 2 of 3