ARENA OF DEATH! Game over man! GAME OVER!!!
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

City of IF -> The Vault

#1: ARENA OF DEATH! Game over man! GAME OVER!!! Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:28 am
    —
You are walking down the street one sunny afternoon when the Public Announcement Magic Mirror suddenly flashes red and yellow, catching your eye. You, and others around you stop as the large mirror clouds, obscuring your reflection.

The cloud is suddenly replaced by the image of a presenter stood outside a large building. He his holding a microphone in his hands and his antenna are waving excitedly.

“Citizens of IF!” he booms. “Are you a deadly warrior, powerful mage or cunning assassin? Do you wield a mighty sword, cast potent spells or dispatch your enemies ruthlessly? Can you hold your own against enemies bent on your destruction?

Chinaren Enterprises* is pleased to announce, coming soon to this very thread:

THE ARENA OF DEATH!!

Entry is a mere 40Fables, and entry forms can be found in our booth over in the marketplace forum.

If you don’t wish to enter, then come along for a fun day out for all the family! (Kids and seniors half price). Watch and cheer as your favorite hero disembowels that pesky wizard! Scream with delight as that powerful mage toasts that Paladin with a well placed fireball!

Fancy a quick wager? Place bets on who will walk out of the arena alive! It’s fun fun fun!!

So don’t touch that control wand! The ARENA OF DEATH will be here soon. Now for some messages from our sponsor, writer of such Storygames as 'Narg the Nasty' and 'A Story of Greed'…”

*Chinaren Enterprises is a subsiduary of Chinaren inc.

---

Do you:

Carry on with your walk and forget about the whole thing?

Make a note to watch carefully when it starts?

Rush over to the MARKETPLACE forum to immediately enter the competition?

Last edited by Chinaren on Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:29 pm; edited 14 times in total

#2:  Author: evilhomer28 PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:56 am
    —
this seems like an rp and a way for you to be greedy and get loads of money

#3:  Author: ShogunLocation: In your nightmares, feeding on your fears. PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:05 pm
    —
Chinaren you greedy bastard! I like it!

#4:  Author: SmeeLocation: UK PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:22 pm
    —
*Mage walks in and stares at all the silly people with swords and daggers. An unfortunate sneeze sends out a fireball and they all die.*

"Whoops, sorry" Smile

Great idea Chinaren.

#5:  Author: Ingrothechundyer PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:33 pm
    —
Interesting... Very Happy

#6:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:29 pm
    —
evilhomer28 wrote:
this seems like an rp and a way for you to be greedy and get loads of money

It's not a RP (I don't believe) 'cos only I will be writing the chapters. It is experimental, and it is because I am enterprising* and want loads of money, Shocked but mainly 'cos I thought it would be fun.

The difference is. Well, go the shop in the marketplace. It will be open soon and everything will be explained there.

*Okay, greedy. Very Happy

#7:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:42 pm
    —
founds fairly kl

you're not going to try and make us pay to watch are you?

#8:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:12 pm
    —
lordofthenight wrote:
founds fairly kl

you're not going to try and make us pay to watch are you?

Didn't think of that!! Shocked Very Happy Wink

#9: Prologue Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:49 pm
    —
The view is far above the thriving city of IF. Soaring through the low clouds on a clear and sunny day. It swoops down lower, lower until it is skimming the rooftops. Over major streets and minor lanes, past the Huge Mayoral mansion of Key and the other grand houses of the Council aristocracy.

On it goes, flying lower now, over the heads of busy citizens going about their daily business. Here we are in Muaddib’s district, a squalid place where ladies of disrepute gather and call out ‘Fancy a good time fella?” to the passing rogues.

Up again, over the red tiled rooftops and back into the more reputable parts of town, towards a large round building reminiscent of the Roman Coliseums. Hordes of people are flocking to the white structure, and many more are selling various goods in small stalls around it.

Now we sweep up and over into the Arena itself. Crowds line the stands, and a wave of noise washes over us. We soar out over the white sands where midgets in clown outfits riding dogs are fighting mock battles.

Finally we turn to a balcony overlooking the stadium. As we zoom in closer and closer we can see two figures with microphone-orbs in their hands. One is wearing a kind of tweed jacket and has three eyes and red skin. The other is wearing a robe of black and white squares, making him look a little like a chess-board, and had two antenna which wave about frantically over his bald head.

Closer, closer, closer….

“Welcome welcome viewers to the First annual ARENA OF DEATH tournament! My name is Bob McBobsky and with me here today is my good friend Bub Bubbabub.”

“Yes indeedy! Thank-you Bob! And it’s a wonderful day here in the ARENA OF DEATH, brought to you by Chinaren Enterprises, vote for him in Storygame of the Month!”

“Thank-you Bub! And the good citizens of IF are already streaming into the arena for the contest, which promises to be an action packed gore-fest!”

“That’s right Bob! If you haven’t entered yet, get yourself down to the Market place RIGHT NOW and enter.” He holds his hand to his ear a moment, “And I have just been informed that the first two contestants will have their entry paid for by Chinaren himself!”

“What a guy eh Bub?”

“That’s right Bob, a stand up fellow if there ever was one, generous to a fault.”

“Yes indeedy! Bub and I will bring you LIVE commentary on the action as it happens direct from our flying-eyes which roam the arena. So what are you waiting for? The crowds are eager for blood! Get yourself over to the market place RIGHT NOW and sign up! We are waiting…”

<fade to black>

#10:  Author: Dobs PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:16 am
    —
Like it. Sine me up!!! Very Happy

#11:  Author: Muaddib PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:22 am
    —
Quote:
Here we are in Muaddib’s district, a squalid place where ladies of disrepute gather and call out ‘Fancy a good time fella?” to the passing rogues.

Lol, Im so happppy I voted for Shady Stoat. :biggrin:

#12:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:57 am
    —
...Drink Smoka-colaaaaaa....

...and now, back to our hosts... Bob and Bub!!

"Welcome back folks! This is Bob, and with me is Bub overlooking the Arena. The Mayor himself has just sat down in his private box! I understand he is sponsoring one of the competitors! But wait! The first contestants are entering the ARENA OF DEATH!"

"Yes sir Bob! These brave men, women and things are the first to put their money where there gonads (or equivalent) are in our booth on Market street!"

"Look at these fine three contenders Bub! Raise your tankard of mead and salute them!" (Drinks from large glass of ale).

"That's right Bob, just now we can see three figures coming out for the opening ceromony. When we get enough contenders the spectators will choose who will be the first onto the killing fields!"

"So who do we have Bub?"

"The first in line is a short fellow. A brave halfling no less!" Squints at a piece of paper "Let's hear it for Bungo Kneecapper - the Homocidal Hobbit!"

"It says here that Bungo's favorite weapon is the pick, and he is wanted in three cities for abusive language and granny snatching!"

(Crowd cheers)

"Who's next Bob? Do I see an ELF on the grounds?"

"You do indeed! Here we have the delectable Silex the Elf, and her famed longbow!"

(Crowd yells obsenities)

"Whooo! The crowd seem to like her Bob!"

"Sure do Bub! Finally, for now, we have a real hero here!"

"For sure! Standing a full two meters tall, this giant of a man has wavy snow-white hair and the strong, chiselled features that mark him as a true hero."

(Women cat call from the crowd and throw flowers and knickers)

"Popular with the ladies too it seems! Look at the size of that axe!!"

"Right on Bub! So ladies and gentlethings here are the first three to enter the ARENA OF DEATH!

We need more hero's to enter the field before battle can commence, so head on down to the market place and sign up!

What's the worst that could happen?"

<switches back to adverts>

"Do you suffer from excessive nasal hair?....

#13:  Author: Shady StoatLocation: England PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:30 am
    —
chinaren wrote:

What's the worst that could happen?"

*wryly* I'm sure you'll be the first to let us know...

#14:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:49 pm
    —
im still liking it

dont make us pay to watch - some of us are poor

#15:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:59 pm
    —
lordofthenight wrote:
im still liking it

dont make us pay to watch - some of us are poor

Only joking! Watching will be free of course!

You aren't that poor, you easily have enough Fables to enter!

#16:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:19 pm
    —
...."this isn't your baby Smee, I was with Key all the time..."

<cuts to holding picture. Voice over speaks:>

"We interrupt 'IF Those Were Our Lives' to bring you this important announcment from the ARENA OF DEATH!"

<cut to Bob standing outside a shop in the marketplace>

"This is Bob McBobsky here down in Market street. I am standing outside with our two newest competitors AND the news that the entry fee has now been slashed to only 20Fables!"

(turns to a mean looking man in armor)

"This is Barak the Cleric. Entrant number 4. What do you think of this news Barak?"

"Well, I'm pretty *beep*ed off with it Bob, I mean why do I have to pay 40Fables when some other rat only has to pay 20? Let me tell you..."

"Yes, thank you Barak." (turns to the other figure, a thin person in a long dark cloak and a mask)

"Here is entrant number 5, do you have any comments for us?"

(Competitor speaks with a low hiss) "I willll tear outtt your brainss and eatt them for breakfastttt."

"Excellent excellent! So there you have it! Come on down here and sign up! Now, back to 'If Those Were Our Lives...' "

<cuts back>

..."No way is that my baby! Look at it! It has a forked tail!..."

#17:  Author: D-LotusLocation: Hollywood, USA PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:10 pm
    —
Lol, this is good, but make sure you progress on the other storygames, especially those that have been paid for.

#18:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:07 pm
    —
D-Lotus wrote:
Lol, this is good, but make sure you progress on the other storygames, especially those that have been paid for.

Never fear, they are all moving on. Well, with the possible exception of Planet:X, I seem to be low on inspiration for that one, so we may put that on pause for a while.

Voting for GREED will begin today. I am pretty busy today and over the weekend, but things will still keep going! It doesn't take me long to write a chapter once I get started.

Narg ep11 is already in the works, GREED will have a short poll and, when bidding for Key the Chamber pot finishes then I will start work on chapter 3. My Cubeworld story is already written for about another 4 chapters so I only have to cut and paste it, 507 will take a little longer, but I am still well within the one post a month minimum!!! Very Happy

Now sorry, I have to actually do some work. Bah.

[/b]

#19:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:56 am
    —
wow - i suddenly noticed i do have money

in which case i'll be entering

#20:  Author: Hyperion PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:16 am
    —
Right LotN, that will be 70 fables for the death tax, 90 fables for the night tax and 20 fables for the tax tax please...

#21:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:45 am
    —
fair enough

if you give me your soul

#22:  Author: Idea masterLocation: Sneaking Idearium into your beverages. PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:40 pm
    —
chinaren wrote:
Here is entrant number 5, do you have any comments for us?"

(Competitor speaks with a low hiss) "I willll tear outtt your brainss and eatt them for breakfastttt."

RUN FROM THE ILLITHID! I hate mind flayers...devourers...grr. Vampiric ones are no better. And if you don't understand this random outburst, then you've not played enough Baulder's gate.

Hyperion wrote:
Right LotN, that will be 70 fables for the death tax, 90 fables for the night tax and 20 fables for the tax tax please...

I will tax you all into oblivion! NO SETTING FOOT IN MY MANSION GROUNDS! Survivors may not live to the lawsuit.

lordofthenight wrote:
fair enough

if you give me your soul

Hmm. Sell your soul for 200 fables...nah. I'd rather have world domination! Or destruction, whichever one is harder to achive.

#23:  Author: ShogunLocation: In your nightmares, feeding on your fears. PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:12 pm
    —
Most excellent! I can't wait for the next annoucement. I like that part in the beginning 'bout fauna, smee and Key!

#24:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:30 pm
    —
two points IM, illithids shouldn't talk to the 'inferior' races, they should simply stun them with a mind blast and brainwash them into being there slaves

and i'm going to rule the world - not you, i have back up, support and plans already made

#25:  Author: ShogunLocation: In your nightmares, feeding on your fears. PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:42 pm
    —
Yes, and I'm one of Night's "backup" Wink

#26:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:48 pm
    —
you are? *surprised look*

you're welcome to the the brethren of the five eyes, but i didn;t know you were alreay a member *check list* who are you really then?

#27:  Author: ShogunLocation: In your nightmares, feeding on your fears. PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:02 pm
    —
I was kidding.....But what the heck! I'll join anyways!

#28:  Author: D-LotusLocation: Hollywood, USA PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:24 pm
    —
Well, this story better have a decision point soon, or Key will find out and demolish the arena. Very Happy

#29: Start your voting! Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:38 pm
    —
<voiceover>

"And it's 13 O'clock and it's time for....

ARENA OF DEATH!! Here's your hosts... Bob and Bub!"

<Canned cheering and camera switches to Bob and Bub in the Arean>

"Welcome welcome one and all! This is Bob MCBobsky..."

"...and I'm Bub Bubbabub..."

"We are here today to start the eyeballs rolling! Lined up on the white sands of death are our first eight competitors. We have met five of them already, so Bub, who is number six?"

"His name is Rathier Bob, apparently some sort of scribe?"

"Mmm, he looks like a libarian with that book under his arm!" (laughs)

"Entrant number seven is Rufus, he is some kind of mage, not sure what though.." <flicks through his papers looking puzzled>

"well, we had better hope he can stand the pace Bub, he looks to be about 80 years old, all tall and thin with that white hair!"

"Finally we have some hoity toity foreigner, a grey elf warrior by the name of, how do you say this? Le Chevyl...iieee.y Mal-fat?"

"That's Le Chevaliey Mal-Fait Bub, he's from the far shores of the city of OF!"

"Damn Johhn Foreigner to me Bob!"

"Okay people! Let's get this show on the road! You can see down there on the sands our contestants, eager to meet their fate! Now then... WHO shall be the first into the Arena?

"The first round will send three contestants into the ring at the same time, and it may not be fatal! Survivors of the first round will go into a decider to join the winners in round 2."

"Let's cut to the chase Bob! Spectators, please vote for who should go into the arena! The three competitors with the most votes will be first in!"

"Details on each competitor will be posted in our shop on Market street!"

"That's right Bob, and remember it's not too late to join!"

"So what are you waiting for? Let's get voting!!!"

<pauses and turns to Bob>

"Did you see the rack on that Elf Bob? I wouldn't mind giving her a... Eh what? We're still on air? Oh fu..."

<Cuts to adverts>

#30:  Author: Idea masterLocation: Sneaking Idearium into your beverages. PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:49 pm
    —
Let's see how well that Librarian fights...
Cause everybody hates a know it all.
"Those that think they know it all upset those of us who do."

#31:  Author: KeyLocation: The Royal Palace PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:04 pm
    —
I voted for the foreigner. I want to see how the City of OF trains its fighters. Smile

#32:  Author: Shady StoatLocation: England PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:19 pm
    —
Bungo the Halfling. I want to see how much of the Arena Merchandise he manages to steal Very Happy

#33:  Author: SmeeLocation: UK PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:23 am
    —
"Bungo Kneecapper - the Homocidal Hobbit!"

Let no granny's be safe. Shocked

I love the foreigner from OF though. Laughing

#34:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:30 am
    —
i voted for mal-fait as well

obvious reasons really

#35:  Author: PhangLocation: Phang's House of Mints PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:15 pm
    —
Idea master wrote:
I will tax you all into oblivion!

I suggest you change that before I am unable to control the inevitable outburst.

Besides, the r...
*claps hand over mouth* You have 1 day...then I cannot survive without releasing the powerful might of such an outburst...

#36:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:18 pm
    —
mal-fait's ahead - wowness

#37:  Author: Hyperion PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:03 pm
    —
Ugh. I finally gave him the money, minus the undeath tax... I'll be in soon. Rufus has no chance against a Blademage. :o

#38:  Author: D-LotusLocation: Hollywood, USA PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:31 pm
    —
I voted the foreigner.

#39:  Author: Hyperion PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:42 pm
    —
Ugh. Whoever goes in first, knowing Chinaren, will die horribly. Arena of Death suggests all sorts of nasty traps. He'll be the canary in the coal mine... Very Happy

#40: Current voting Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:10 am
    —
<Announcers voice:

“At 10pm we once again encounter the horrors of the damned with our daily Movie of the week: “IF came from the Grave.” First though, we have a special edition of our regular ‘Interview with Some Bloke in a Bar’ featuring special guest host Bob McBobsky”…

Scene cuts to a intro with ghastly music, featuring clips from past episodes including ‘The One where Smee smacks the Chief Judge in the ear when he was drunk’ and ‘Shogun’s infamous scene with the transsexual spider creature’… Finally zooms in on Bob standing in a corridor in front of a metal door, with microphone orb in hand…>

<Bob speaks in a low voice>

“Welcome viewers, whilst we wait for the crowd to decide who shall enter the first match of round one, we have been granted the special privilege of an interview with our gracious Mayor of the City…Key himself. We are outside the entrance to his private box in the arena waiting for his bodyguard to open…” <interrupted as a large creature in a black suit and sunglasses opens the door behind him.> “…and here we go!”

<Bob turns round and follows the bodyguard. The camera follows jerkily showing Bob’s workmans’ bum as he climbs the stairs panting heavily. They enter a lavishly decorated corridor and then, after a short body search where the camera is bounced around, they finally enter Key’s private box.

Camera pans around to show a richly furnished room, with Jacuzzi, swimming pool and sumptuous furniture. Erotic oil paintings line the walls and scantily clad young maidens are draped around the place, oiling each others backs. And fronts.

Finally the camera swings around to see the rotund figure of the Mayor, dressed in fine silk garments, reclining on a couch. Two maids are holding and peeling grapes and another one is feeding him the ready ones. A mug of ale is perched on a small oak table by his arm, and the remains of stuffed and roasted swan, half eaten, is next to that. A naked girl is kneeling by the couch and the shape of her head can be seen bobbing up and down under his robe.

Key sees Bob and the camera come in and hastily shoos the girls away. They run off giggling, and at least one of them wiping her mouth.

Bob: “Mr. Mayor, sorry to intrude when you are busy with matters of state, we appreciate your time is valuable.”

“I'm always happy to speak with the press, Bob. It's a wonderful night to be down here at the arena.”

“So, I won’t waste your time but get straight to the questions. Firstly, many people are wondering, are you a sponsor of one of the candidates?”

“I'm glad you asked that, Bob, because I want to set the record straight about this. I'm a big supporter of this tournament because of the contribution it brings to the local economy, and I'm looking forward to the show like everyone else, but there's absolutely no truth to these rumors that I've personally sponsored a candidate. That would be a conflict of interest, and I would never do that.“

“I see. And is there a Mrs Mayor of IF?”

“Oh, yes, of course. She flies in and out of the City from time to time, taking different forms and changing her name. A few of the long-term residents of the City have had sightings of her. A wonderful woman, the love of my life.”

“Ah. I have heard some reports you were seen with some of floozies the other night down in Muaddibs' district?”

“No comment.”

“Is it true you have a horde of Fables stacked away in a secret house in the City?”

“Ha ha! That's a good one, Bob. No, as anyone can see, I've got the same stories to write and bills to pay as any working family in the City of IF. Why just recently, I was forced to ask for donations just to preserve my dignity in the Auction of a local popular thread. But that's a story for another time. Piles of fables, ha ha!”

“Do you have any comment about the running of the Council and the rumors of all night orgies at the Town Hall?”

“Ha ha! You're such a kidder, Bob. Well, all I have to say is: how come I wasn't invited? Ha ha!”

“Could you say a few words to the competitors please?”

“Warriors, I salute you! May the best fighter win, and the rest of you die in an entertaining way!”

“Thank-you for taking the time to speak to us Mr. Mayor.”

“My pleasure, Bob. Good luck to you, and I hope I can count on your support in the next election.”

<Bob turns and speaks to the camera>

“So there you have it folks. Our very own mayor tells it like it is! Remember to vote on the competitors for the first match of round 1! This is Bob McBobsky live, from the Mayors private box…”

<Mayors voice from off camera>

“Have you done? Now get that bastard camera out of here, and if I ever see you again I will have your head torn off and…”

<Screen goes black as camera is forcibly turned off>

#41:  Author: Hyperion PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:48 am
    —
Chinaren the Deranged wrote:
A naked girl is kneeling by the couch and the shape of her head can be seen bobbing up and down under his robe.
Umm... then it says
Chinaren the Diseased wrote:
At least one of the girls was wiping her mouth.
Other than the sheer disturbingness, it is great! Very Happy

#42:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:09 am
    —
yeah it was great - the corrupt mayor fitted perfectly

as well and the ending

#43:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:14 am
    —
*Note:*
Key actually did give the answers in the above interview.

#44:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:17 am
    —
lol, cool

#45:  Author: KeyLocation: The Royal Palace PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:34 am
    —
True, but the description of the scene was purely from Chinaren's imagination. Cool

#46:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:55 pm
    —
well the discriptions were highly amusing, as were the interview responses (and the questions).

Chinaren, how long are you going to wait before ending the poll and posting the next chapter up?

#47:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:40 pm
    —
lordofthenight wrote:
well the discriptions were highly amusing, as were the interview responses (and the questions).

Chinaren, how long are you going to wait before ending the poll and posting the next chapter up?

The next stage in this (longer than I anticipated) process will begin today! Smile

#48:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:44 pm
    —
Ok, that is good to hear. Will the fights be starting in this next one or will that be the one afterwards?

#49:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:48 pm
    —
<View of the Arena from high in the air and a fanfare of trumpets (badly played) as a voiceover speaks: “Ladies and Gentlethings! Welcome once again to the ARENA OF DEATH! Camera switches to Bob and Bub with a new presenter, a slinky white female>

“Welcome back one and all! This is Bob McBobsky here with the exciting news that the first round competitors have been chosen!! Bub?”

“That’s right Bob, the game is finally getting underway, and about time too! The first entrant is our very own visitor from the City of OF the grey Elf Le Chevaray Mal-Fatty!!”

<Cuts to a picture of the Elf on the Arena ground smiling coolly and nodding as the crowd boos.>

“That’s Le Chevaliey Mal-Fait Bub!”

“Whatever Bob, damn foreigner, let’s hope a good bit of IF steel will show him not to stick his grey nose in where it doesn’t belong!”

“Er, quite Bub. For the other entrants there was a tie, so the judge had to make a ruling. The decision is in and we have our very own Halfling entrant: Bungo Kneecapper!”

<Picture of Bungo raising his fists in salute, to the roar of the crowd>

“Finally Bob, to complete the trio we have that lucky number 13! Yes that’s right! The 13th Necromancer is the third entrant!”

<Picture of the dark hooded figure, not moving at all. The crowd ‘oooh’s>

“So there you have it good citizens. Our three competitors now have a short time to prepare themselves for the match.”

“And here with us to help analyze the moves made out on the field is none other than famous IF actress, the oh so Sexy ‘Whisper the White’, who you may have seen in the latest Episode of ‘Narg the Nasty’ playing the Ice Queen! Hello Whisper, tell us what is it like working with Narg?”

“Oh, he’s such a man Bub!” <wraps her arms around herself sexily> “We had quite a thing going off-set you know!” <giggles mischievously>

“I see! Well, I look forward to hearing more, but in the meantime who is your favorite in this match? The Elf maybe?”

“Well guys, it is a tough one. We haven’t seen any of them in action yet, so we don’t know their moves, but my pick for this round, if you must have it, is the Necromancer. He’s so cooold!” <Shivers excitedly>

<Bob turns back to the camera> “Thank-you Whisper! Okay folks, we have just received the map for the first round of the competition. In this round the three entrants will race to secure a flag. Each competitor will be teleported in at a random point around the edge. Somewhere in the field there is a red flag. Whom-so-ever gets the flag and places it on top of the brick tower in the south-east area wins the round.”

“Of course, if the other two competitors are unable to compete, either through injury, death or other incapacitation, then the one remaining wins the round.”

"...and bets are now being taken in our shop in the marketplace

“So there you go! Whilst the Arena and competitors are getting ready we will cut to commercials, but don’t touch that control! We will be back soon with the gut spilling action of round one, match one of: THE ARENA OF DEATH!”

<Leans back and shuffle papers as the camera zooms out. Behind him Bub leans over and touches Whisper’s leg: “So, how about you and me going downstairs and…>

Le Chevaliey Mal-Fait the Grey Elf vs The 13th Necromancer vs Bungo the Halfling

- - - -
Author’s note:
The three competitors have 24 hours to PM me with any strategies they may wish to adopt. If they wish to contact the other players PM me and I will pass any messages along. Only ONE PM per strategy e-mail allowed!! – Chinaren.

Last edited by Chinaren on Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

#50:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:53 pm
    —
I like it. Good writing as usual, especially with the introduction of the Ice Queen.

#51:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:55 pm
    —
lordofthenight wrote:
I like it. Good writing as usual, especially with the introduction of the Ice Queen.

Thanks!

Yes, I noticed! Now fixed! Very Happy

...and under the new FABLE rules I got 0137.08 Fables for that! Methinks the prices of things are going to go waaay up!! Inflation!!!! Shocked

Last edited by Chinaren on Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

#52:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:05 pm
    —
300? wow. i thought key put a limit on but oh well *wants to become an author now*

plus i sent you my tactics blurb, happy reading

#53: Match 1 round 1!!!! Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:13 am
    —
<Titles roll and theme song plays as various views of the Arena and the competitors flash up. Finally the music ends and we focus once again on our commentators…>

<Roar of the crowd can be heard in the background>

<Bob is speaking to Bub as the camera closes in>

“..so I said to her, not with those legs sweetheart!” <Bob and Bub both laugh. Bob turns to the camera>

“Good citizens of IF. Here we are finally ready to begin the contest. The first three competitors are in the teleport rings as we speak. Our flying eyeballs are roaming the Arena floor ready to catch the action live as it happens. The audience is ready and we are just waiting for the Mayor to open the games…”

<cuts to a picture of Key standing on a platform with a white cloth held in his outstretched hand. He seems to be having trouble standing and is being supported by a bodyguard. He speaks…>

“Brave warriors, fight hard and well. Let no mercy be show! I now announce the games… OPEN!” <Key drops the cloth and then bends over and vomits over the nearby seats, spewing on half a dozen dignitaries…>

<Picture cuts to the arena and Bob’s voice is heard>

“Here we go! The competitors are in the arena and the flying eyes are now seeking them out.”

“That’s right Bob, each entrant is ‘ported to a random location and not even the judges know where they will land.”

“And we have found the Elf! He has landed in the wooded area!”

“A suitable place for him Bob, sneaky foreign devil.” <Camera shows Mal Fait lurking cautiously in the trees, sword drawn.>

“…and there is Bungo, he has landed in the rocks to the west, he seems to have fallen down a hole! A bad start for the Halfling!”

“Where is the necromancer Bub? We haven’t seen him yet, but we can see the flag! Right in the middle of the arena next to the wooden hut!”

“We can see the necromancer now! He is near the bridge and heading for the hut. Look at him go, not a very seemly gate for a mage of doom!”

“..but effective non-the less Bub, if one of the other competitors doesn’t do something about this the match could be over before it has begun!”

“The Hobbit has seen him Bob! He has crawled out of his hole and has a clear view of the flag and the undead guy! Look look, he is loading up his sling, he’s not going to let that mage get the flag without a fight!”

“It’s a tough shot Bub! That guy isn’t staying still, look at him weave, he is nearly at the flag!”

“There’s the shot! Oh! A miss!! He missed!” <Crowd groans>

“The 13th Necromancer is at the flag and… wait! What’s this!??”

“It’s a booby trap Bob! That sneaky Chinaren (sponsor of Arena of death and producer of such storygames as Narg the Nasty) has booby trapped the Arena!!”

“Oh! That’s just plain mean. Look at that! For those of you listening on magical shells, a large spike has shot out of the ground and stuck the necromancer through the arm!”

“The other two competitors are not letting this opportunity go! Look, the Halfling is circling around and here comes the elf! Running straight for the flag and the necromancer, that sword could make a mess if he gets within range!”

“But our magic user isn’t helpless Bub! He is waving some kind of stick, maybe a wand? Yes yes it’s a wand! There are two figures appearing from the ground right in-front of the elf!” <Bob’s voice raises to a high pitched excited scream> “The necromancer has raised the dead! The Necromancer has raised the dead! Right in the middle of the arena!”

“The elf isn’t fazed though! Those guys from OF aren’t cowards, whatever you say about their toilet habits. Look at that! He has cut one down and barely slowed!”

“But the other one isn’t going to let him past, they are trading sword strokes. Meanwhile the necromancer has grabbed the flag, and he his off and running back to the fort.”

“But where is the Halfling Bob? He has sensibly stayed out of the encounter in the middle of the arena.”

“The Elf is hurt! The Elf has sustained the first combat injury of the tournament!”

“It doesn’t look fatal Bob, he is still fighting, looks like a cut to the leg. And there goes the undead! The elf has finally managed to overwhelm it!”

“But at what cost Bub? The dark mage has the flag and he is over the bridge and heading like a Necromancer out of hell to the fort!”

“The elf is in pursuit! He is faster but his wound is slowing him, and look! There is the Halfling! He is at the entrance to the fort already! How did he get there that fast?”

“The necromancer is turning! He has decided to confront the Elf. Out comes the wand again, he is summoning, summoning… No! Nothing! It must be out of charges and look at Mal-Fait grin! He has he upper hand now and he knows it!”

“So does the necromancer Bob! He has thrown the wand down and has decided to make a break for the stone fort again.”

“Oh this is going to be close! They are both near now! And Mal-Fat is close! He swings! He scores! A non-fatal wound to the necromancer, but he is hurt, and he can’t ignore the elf now! The Necromancer has brought out his knife!”

“No time for magic now Bob, it’s blade on blade action, and there is only one possible outcome to a mage and a warrior in hand to hand…”

“But here is Bungo again! Oh MY GOD! He has grabbed the flag from the mage! What a nerve! What cheek, what sheer audacity!! These Halflings are sneaky bastards all right!”

“The other two aren’t happy about it either Bob, they are fighting each other to catch up with the short guy, and look at that! It’s a three way struggle on the stairs to the roof for the flag!”

“Who would have thought it would come to this Bub? An unseemly pulling match, it degrades the whole meaning of ‘death match’!”

“I don’t know Bob, that was a nasty blow the necromancer gave the elf with his knife, those things are…”

“WAIT! Bungo has broken free! He is racing up the stairs and the other two are slowing each other down in their efforts to catch him! He’s done it! The Halfling is on the roof! He is on the roof! Bungo wins the match!

“Look at that little guy Bob! He is waving that flag about like there is no tomorrow! What a guy!”

<Camera switches back to a sweating Bob and Bub in the commentary box>

“What a close call Bob! A narrow win for Bungo Kneecapper!”

“That’s right Bub! No fatalities this match, which means the other two will go into the round 1 play-offs later on.”

“No fatalities this time! But there is plenty more to come! Don’t change that dial! Don’t speak to your friends! Stay tuned for the after-game show and match two coming soon to..”

THE ARENA OF DEATH!!!

<cuts to adverts...>

#54:  Author: Shady StoatLocation: England PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:44 am
    —
Yey for the hobbit! Interesting quasi slap-fight at the end - and here was me, expecting casualties galore.

I guess I must have been reading too much 'Good vs. Evil' Wink

Exciting first chapter... now who's next, I wonder Shocked

#55:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:46 am
    —
Ooo so close. I nearly had the necromancer. Damnedable halflings. I will get you next time my small little friend. And then I shall feast on your soul. Mwhahahahahaha.

Ahem.

Good story Chinaren. I probably should have read your first post more carefully - I hadn't realised it was capture the flag - but alas. Woe is me. I'll be back.

#56:  Author: SmeeLocation: UK PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:39 am
    —
Excellent, I knew I should have backed the halfling with money rather than just words.

A great first round.

#57:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:09 am
    —
Hmm, I've got a plan on how to do well next time. It involves gambling. Mwhahaha!

#58: Post match... Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:30 pm
    —
<Camera cuts to Bub on the Arena floor>

"This is Bob McBobski here on the Arena floor waiting for the first match contestants to come off, and here comes Bungo Kneecapper!”

<Bob rushes over to Bungo who is sweaty but happy. Thrusts a mike-orb in his face>

“Bungo! Great win out there today! Tell us, how do you feel?”

“I feel freeking great Bob, now get that freeking orb outa me face before I shove it daan thee throat.”

<Bungo pushes past and acknowledges the roar of the crowd with a wave of both hands>

“So there you have it, the first match winner is very happy. Now back to Bub and Whisper in the studio!”

<Camera cuts to studio which shows an empty chair. Moans and other sounds can be heard…>

“oohh baby! Yes that’s it! Come to papa! Ahah aha ah…What? Fu…”

<There is a scramble and Bub appears from the floor looking flustered and disheveled. Whisper can be seen moving off camera pulling her dress down. Bub takes a seat and smoothes his clothes.>

“That’s right Bob, what a guy. Ahem. So then viewers, press your voting wands and choose three more competitors to enter the Arena for Round 1 match 2! And don’t forget to go over to our shop in the marketplace for betting slips and other sundry items, including our new line of T-shirts and mugs and more more more!”

“This is Bub Bubbabub saying ‘don’t go away now’! We will be back after these words from our sponsor!”

<Cuts to adverts…>

<Want fast action Storygaming? Brutality and humor? Then check out Narg the Nasty in the Fantasy Forum right now…>

#59:  Author: Ingrothechundyer PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:12 pm
    —
Get Blademage out there Very Happy

#60:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:14 pm
    —
i voted for the elven woman. mainly because elves rock. no, scratch that. completely because elves rock.

especially darkelves/drow/druchii

#61:  Author: ShogunLocation: In your nightmares, feeding on your fears. PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:28 pm
    —
%#@*% Hobbit! I thought I had a machete, Chinaren? Oh well... I vote BladeMage, we need some taller halflings out there!

#62:  Author: KeyLocation: The Royal Palace PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:45 pm
    —
I voted for the librarian. Maybe if he's in we'll finally get to see somebody get killed. Cool

#63:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:50 pm
    —
**Note**

I made a mistake in the poll. Rathier is the 'librarian' Rufus is the white haired old man (mage).

Many apologies.

#64:  Author: KeyLocation: The Royal Palace PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:05 pm
    —
OK. Then count my vote for Rathier then.

#65:  Author: Hyperion PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:18 pm
    —
I'm Elachor the Blademage, iijit, not Blademage the Half-Elf! I'm a Half-Elven Blademage named Elachor! SHEESH!

#66:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:57 pm
    —
Hyperion wrote:
I'm Elachor the Blademage, iijit, not Blademage the Half-Elf! I'm a Half-Elven Blademage named Elachor! SHEESH!

Well, if you had put down all the pertinent information in a single PM to me, like everyone else did and I asked, instead of half-coherent postings scattered through a couple of threads then you may have had something more accurate put in!

You still have time!

#67:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:49 am
    —
<we return to "The foulness of Dr.Muaddib's island" after this message from 'The ARENA OF DEATH!">

<Cuts to Bub and Whisper in the studio. Whisper is speaking quite heatedly...>

"...well I wasn't the drunk one trying to feel up some elf slut!>

"I was drunk! Ha! You were the one showing her knickers to all and...Whaaa? Ah, yes." <Turns to the camera>

"Exciting news Arena fans! The results for match two have just come through, and the competitors are: Whisper?..."

"Competetor one, Bub is, oh, you will like this Bub! It
s your favorite Elven bitch! Silex the Slapper!"

"Ahem, yes Silex the Elf. Moving quickly along..."

"Competitor two is Rufus the mage!"

...and finally the third competitor for match two is Rathier the Librarian!"

"Rathier is a warrior mage, a real man, not like some jumped up presenter." <Turns her nose up at Bub>

<Bub turns red>

"So folks, keep tuned for match 2! It promises to be an action packed spectacle! Now we return you to our feature film, 'The Perverted Island of Doctor Muaddib...'"

<Camera zooms out and Whisper stands up and stalks out of the studio. Bub puts his head in his hands and slumps forward on his desk...>

#68: Round 1 Match 2. Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:49 am
    —
Round 1 Match 2.
Rathier the Warrior Librarian vs Rufus the Mage vs Silex the Elf.

<…the great detective stood up and with a certain finality turned and pointed to Nanny Stoat. “The Maid could not have done it, as she was in Smee’s room at the time partaking in carnal activities. No, in-fact the murderer was none other than…” <Cuts to the Arena Floor where Whisper is holding a mike-orb up to Rathier the Warrior Librarian. Rathier still has a book under his arm, but now he also has two large swords strapped to his back.>

“So tell me Rathier, are those swords as heavy as they look?”

“Well Whisper, once I have taken care of business here, how about you and me go somewhere and you can examine my weapon in detail?”

“Sure thing handsome. Kick some elf ass out there, it’s time for you to head towards the ‘portal rings.” <Gives Rathier a rather long lingering kiss for ‘good luck’ before turning back to the camera.>

“This is Whisper the White on the Arena Floor, now back to Bob and some other lecherous turd in the studio…”

<Camera cuts to Bob and Bub in the commentator’s box>

“Yes, thank you indeed Whisper! This is Bob McBobsky coming here to you live from The Arena where the second match is about to begin.”

“Let’s hope there is a bit more action this time eh Bob?”

“Sure Bub, and with a couple of mages out there I would say that the spells are going to fly!”

“Let’s just review the entrants again shall we? We have Rufus the mage, an old man with a staff and little else it seems. My contacts in the betting office have told me he is the outsider here today, but I am not so sure, you can never tell with mages.”

“I don’t know Bob, my money is on the Elf! She is at home with fast action, and let me tell you I can speak from experience here, and she is a dead shot with that bow!”

“Finally there is the warrior mage, the smart money seems to be riding on him, with his blades and magic combination.”

“And the flying eyes are out over the Arena now. Remember, this round is a classic ‘capture the flag’ situation where the competitors have to retrieve the flag and get it to the top of the tower in the south east area.”

“That’s right Bub, of course, if the other two contestants are disabled, then the last ‘man’ standing takes the match.”

“And there goes the starting chime!” <Crowd roars>

“The three entrants have been ‘ported into the arena and the eyes are scanning the area looking for them.”

“There’s the flag Bob, up in the north sector between the woods and the water.”

“And the eyes have found the elf, she is right in the north west corner, in the woods. An excellent position for her, should suit her skills well.”

“The other two have also been found, and they are all close! Rathier is only a little to the south of the elf, and Rufus the mage seems to be stuck in a bush not far away to the east, they are all in the woods!”

“The Mage is clambering out of the bush, not a very dignified entrance for the old man. There is the elf, she is moving south-east, look at her go! She knows how to use the cover.”

“And the librarian is taking time out to read his book! A little bit of an odd place to catch up on his reading don’t you think Bob?”

“I think there must be something more to it than that Bub, and... yes indeed! Look at that! Some sort of large homunculus is climbing from the pages! Ooh! Nasty too, a small black creature, all claws and teeth. That is going to cause someone trouble. A sneaky move from our librarian!!”

“And here comes Silex! The elf has caught sight of Rathier and it looks like she is preparing to finish him off with her longbow! She fires!!”

“Oh! Good shot! Rathier is hit, look at that! A good solid hit to the shoulder. Classic shooting from the Elf girl there Bub!”

“Here comes Rufus the mage, he has seen both the others and he appears to be getting ready to cast a spell. It’s a three way battle! Things are getting interesting down in the woods tonight!”

“But Rathier’s pet is on the floor and now the librarian is pointing at the Elf. This could be a problem for the Elf Bob, that summoned creature looks vicious.”

“I am not sure; Silex is readying her bow again. It is going to be close, but I think she will probably put one in the creature before it gets to her. And Rufus is casting some sort of magic, looks like it is aimed at the Elf as well, but what is he planning? I can’t see anything happening. Could it have mis-fired?”

“I don’t know, but the homunculus is closing fast on Silex and… and… What is she doing? She is just standing there looking at her bow and… Ohhhh the creature is on her!”

<blood and guts fly as the creature tears into Silex>

“Oh my word!! What a waste of a good elf! There’s not going to be much left for the recovery teams to pick up there!”

“The first fatality of the Arena games! Silex the Elf is out, there can be do doubt about that, mauled to death by the Librarians little pet. What a nasty way to go! I don’t know what the mage did but it seemed to confuse the archer just long enough to stop her firing that decisive arrow.”

“Meanwhile, back to the arena floor and there are two competitors still out there. With the homunculus still feasting on Silex, Rathier has reverted to a more conventional approach and taken out one of his swords. Has he seen the mage Bob?”

“I don’t think he has Bub! He seems to be moving south, and look at Rufus, he can’t believe his luck! He is casting another spell.”

“Oh! I know that one, it’s a fireball! A classic combat spell Bob, one of my favorites!”

“There it goes, but Rathier isn’t slow! He has heard something. He turns, he has seen it! A huge ball of fire bearing down on you can’t be hard to miss!”

<Huge explosion causes the screen to white-out for a moment>

“Wooah! That was a biggie Bub! And where is the librarian? I can see the mage, he is smiling to himself, as well he may after that piece of magic but I can see no trace of Rathier.”

“I can’t see him either. The eyes have lost him, perhaps he has been fried? There are small fires all around the impact area. I can see the judges conferring with each other; they are obviously discussing this!”

“The mage is looking uncertain and OHHH! Where did he come from!!?”

“Rathier has just appeared right next to Rufus and taken a big chunk out of the side of the Mage with his sword! That’s got to hurt!”

“The mage is falling back, as one would expect! Rathier swings again, but the mage blocks with his staff, he is not as old as he seems Bub!”

“But this must surely be nearly finished Bob, the librarian is all over the mage!”

“There! A hit! No? What happened there?”

“It’s some sort of shield! The mage has activated some sort of defense shield and Rathier can’t get through!”

“Not for lack of trying though Bub! Look at him swing!”

“The mage is getting back to his feet, and he is off! That wound doesn’t seem to be slowing him much, he is running away!”

<Crowd boos>

“And the spectators don’t like that at all!”

“Look at him go! The mage is dodging in and out of the trees with Rathier hot in pursuit and swinging away with his sword!”

“Now the mage is swerving and doubling back, nice dodge there, what is he doing?”

“He is heading straight for the homunculus! The creature has seen him, but the mage seems to have thrown a quick cantrip at it! What did it do?”

“The homunculus is ignoring the mage and going for Rathier!”

“It leaps but Rathier dodges and swings his sword! The creature is hit but not down! It’s jumping again and ooh! Rathier is bitten by his own foul summoning!”

“That’s what I call irony Bub!”

“Rathier cuts again with his sword and he has hacked the beast in two!”

“That’s that dealt with, but the mage has got away!”

“Rathier is standing up. He is still in the game but that bite doesn’t look pretty. He must be losing blood fast!”

“OH! Look there! Rufus the mage has stepped out to confront the warrior librarian and the two are staring each other down! It is a face-off!”

<Western style ‘showdown’ music plays. Rufus and Rathier stand, hands at their sides, staring each other down. The crowd goes quiet. An imperceptible movement and then a flash of action…>

“And Rathier swings his sword and charges at Rufus! Rufus raises his hands and LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT FIREBALL!”

“OHHH! It has engulfed Rathier! The Librarian isn’t going to walk away from that one! There he is! I can see Rathier’s burning form still running but he is aflame all over. The skin is melting away from his body! That’s got to hurt!”

“But not for long Bob! Yes, indeed, there go the legs! All I can see of him now is a blackened charcoal figure! I knew I should have brought some steak along with me today!”

“Rufus the mage takes it! Rathier is, quite literally, toast and the old mage has shown he is not an adversary to be trifled with!”

“That’s for sure Bob! Rufus wins match 2 of round 1 and is the only one left standing! Now that’s what I call a Death-match!”

<Zoom out and fade to black...>

#69:  Author: Shady StoatLocation: England PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:27 am
    —
Wow! 2 deaths for the price of one. Remind me not to tangle with Rufus Shocked

I'm beginning to get into this whole Arena of Death thing. I might even hazard a bet on the next match.

(BTW, did it have to be 'Nanny Stoat'? I sound like I should be 'trip-trip-trapping' over some troll's bridge!) Wink

#70:  Author: SmeeLocation: UK PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:33 am
    —
Well, even if anyone took my bet about Rufus grabbing the flag first it wouldn't have paid out. He didn't even need to worry about the flag. Shocked

Go Rufus. Very Happy

A quick thing I spotted...

Quote:
Round 1: “The Elf is hurt! The Elf has sustained the first combat injury of the tournament!”

Round 2: "“The first fatality of the Arena games! Silex the Elf is out"

It appears being an Elf isn't very lucky Very Happy

*Wanders off wondering what Rufus did to the elf*

#71:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:10 am
    —
mal-fait didn't really sustain the first injury though - afterall the necromancer got hit with a large spiie from chinaren's bombs

#72:  Author: Guest PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:57 am
    —
...which is why I changed it when I was proofreading it to 'combat injury' instead of the simple 'injury' I initially penned.

#73:  Author: Guest PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:04 pm
    —
So how many concursants are left?

#74:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:09 pm
    —
Anonymous wrote:
So how many concursants are left?

If you go the start of the Marketplace thread here then you can see a list of competitors and their status.

#75:  Author: Idea masterLocation: Sneaking Idearium into your beverages. PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:02 pm
    —
NOOO!!
My...precious...Rathier...
Why did you fry him?
I will have revenge!
Damn you Rufus!
DAMN YOUUUUUUUUU!

#76:  Author: D-LotusLocation: Hollywood, USA PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:22 pm
    —
Hmmm, too bad I don't have any money, or I would participate more. Very Happy I hope that with the new chapter I'm writing, I'll be able to cover my debt.

#77:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:28 pm
    —
Well, there is a little way to go here yet, and just wait until the sequel! Oh yeah!!!! Laughing

#78:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:32 pm
    —
there is going to be a sequel? is it still going to be the same or are there going to be various twists?

for instance you could start having two on two fights, and then larger ones. this would lead into team games - where tow sides battle it out for supremecy.

and then you could make bloodbowl out of it too - two teams of maniacs playing american football - with no rules

*goes off into corner to calm down*

#79:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:34 pm
    —
Well, yes. Wait about 20 minutes and you will hear about it from Bob and Bub! Wink
<continues writing manically>

#80: Match 3 begins! Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:04 pm
    —
Round 1 Match 3.
Barak the Cleric vs Lawrence the Vine vs Echopoop the Blademage

<cuts to a clip show showing highlights of the competition so far with dramatic music in the background. Slowly fades to the studio and Whisper, Bob and Bub…>

“Welcome back to the Arena of Death viewers! This is Bub Bubbabub here, with my good friend Bob McBobsky and Whisper the White getting ready for match 3 of round 1!”

“Yes indeed, the competitors are in the teleport rings as we speak Bub, but first we have an important announcement, which we will tell you about right after this message from our sponsors…”

<Cuts to commercial… Shows a hot chick in leather wielding a short sword and killing Mind Flayers. Voice over: “Do you like your women hot and feisty? You want babe on blood action? Come on down to SKALDIN! the Hot new Storygame by Sorrow_A in the fantasy section!” Fades out and then back to Bob in the studio…>

“She looks hot that Skaldin eh Bob?” <Nudges Bob>

“Sure does Bub. Now here is Whisper with some exciting news!”

“Thanks Bob!” <Leans forward into the camera, showing amble cleavage.> “The bosses here at TV-IF1 have just release some exciting news! I am pleased to be able to tell you that coming soon will be:

ARENA OF DEATH 2!! - BLOOD PARTY!” <Leans back and fans herself> “I get all excited just thinking about it! Oooh!”

“Ooh indeed Whisper! Yes, we don’t have much detail yet, but we promise you it will involve all the action and more you have come to expect from ARENA! Now, back to our third match. How is it going Bub?”

“The competitors are in the rings, there is the siren and there they go! The competitors have been 'ported out.”

“The three this time are Barak the Cleric, the ladies favourite Lawrence of Vine and the mysterious Blademage elf: Echlopoopy, or some such name, can’t make these runes out clearly.”

“…and the eyes have it! Yes, the eyes have spotted the flag. It is floating in the middle of the lake in the north east corner! What a devious place to put it!”

“There is the Cleric! He is right next to the bridge, hunkering down holding that mace and looking around.’

“Where is the Hero? Ah! Yes he is just south of the woods in the open. Look at him just standing there cool as a cucumber!”

“The blademage is standing on the rocks on the far west Bub, he has a good view over the Arena from there, but the others must be able to see him too! Yes, look! Lawrence the vine is raising his Axe over his head in a heroic pose!”

<Women in the arena audience scream and throw knickers.>

“Yes indeed Bob, and what is happening now?...”

- - - -

What IS happening loyal readers?

This time I thought I would get more reader participation.

I would like suggestions and strategies for the three contestants! What course of action should they take? Go for the flag (in a tricky position) take out one or the other competitors? Lie low? Suggestions and discussions please…

In the meantime, betting can take place over in the marketplace shop...

Last edited by Chinaren on Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total

#81:  Author: Sorrow_A PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:26 pm
    —
First off, you made my character sound like a slut. No No

Second, if we're doing a sequel t' this then I'm getting Derri in there.

Third. . . seeing as the flag is in such a tricky location, I just say we have a bloodfest. Either that, or somebody pull a Moses and part the waters. Perhaps the Cleric or Blademage could do that while the hero hacks their legs off.

#82:  Author: KeyLocation: The Royal Palace PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:48 pm
    —
Parting the waters would be cool, and appropriate for Barak. Maybe he can wait for someone to chase him in and then have the waters roll back in and drown them, a la Moses.

#83:  Author: Sorrow_A PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:38 pm
    —
*psst! Key! Chinaren is richer than you!*

In fact, Key, you're only the 4th richest person in IF. I guess you really don't have piles of Fables stacked in warehouses in odd places.

I like the idea of having the waters roll back on them . . . but how would he get out of the water? Confused

#84:  Author: Ingrothechundyer PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:49 pm
    —
It could make for an interesting story. Cleric parts the water and races in followed closely by the hero. The blademage shoots his magical blades and kills the cleric. With the cleric dead the waters roll back in on the hero who despretly tries to swim to safety.

The blademage shoots at him while he ducks and weaves diving underwater from time to time.

Look he's grabbed the flag and is pulling himself toward the bank. Wait he's gone. Did the blademage succed in killing him?

Tune in to our next broadcast.

<< cut to commercials
Ingrothechundyer has a new story out with only four people commenting so far.
<< end of commercials

Oh look the hero is on the bridge but the blademage is blocking his way. Look at the swords clash. etc... etc... etc...

#85:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:52 pm
    —
Hehe, Ingro just finished the match off! Wink Good suggestions so far, and I like the parting of the waves idea. What about the other two. Look at the map (somewhere in this thread!) and remember their positions. Lawrence is between the water and Blademage.

I am going to be busy today, so you will have until tomorrow at least to formulate ideas.

#86:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:24 am
    —
just ignore the flag - go and kill each other

lets have a nove three way death here - with no winner

Quote:
getting ready for match 3 of round 2!”

surely thats round 1 chinaren?

#87:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:30 am
    —
Fixed, thanks LotN!

#88: Match 3 conclusion... Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:02 pm
    —
“The Blademage is responding! He has leapt down and is running towards Lawrence the Vine, swords held high in some fancy pose.”

“The Vine has accepted the challenge! Look at them go!!”

<Picture cuts to split screen and slow motion as the two meet. Lawrence swings his axe and then it stops, ‘Matrix’ style and the POV swings round 180 degrees before continuing again at normal speed…>

“Woah! Did you see that move Bob? The Elf leaned backwards and avoided the blow from the axe!”

“Cool!”

“The Blademage is counter-attacking, the swords are fast, but Lawrence is responding in kind with some moves of his own!”

“What a show these two are putting on! Fighting on this level is what the crowd like to see!”

“Oh come on now Bob! What the crowd like to see is killing and blood!”

“And there is some blood now! Lawrence has managed to somehow get through the Elf’s defense and given him a nasty cut to one arm. The Blademage has dropped a sword!”

“Meanwhile where is that Cleric?”

“He has been taking advantage of the distracted warriors and has moved up to the water area. He seems to be praying Bub!”

“Oh! Look at that! Divine intervention! The Cleric is parting the waters of the Arena water hazard!”

“Just like that famous Cleric from ages ago Bub, what was his name?”

“Bosos or some such, he led his evil undead army across the Green sea to wage conquest of the Holy Lands Bob. A great man, if only he could be here in the Arena today!”

“Amen to that Bub! And Lawrence of Vine has seen the Cleric and has abandoned the wounded Elf to chase after him! Echloplop, or whatever his name is, is not chasing…”

“The Cleric has seen the massive figure approaching and is picking up the pace! He has reached the flag and has grabbed it. Bosos would be proud!”

“The Vine is coming down to meet him. It is a fight at the bottom of the sea!”

“But what’s this? The Cleric is casting another spell… wait it’s… Haha yes! It seems to be some sort of entanglement spell Bob! Lawrence the Vine is all tangled up in, rather ironically, a load of vines!”

“Hahaha! That Cleric sure has a sense of humor! Look at him as he races past the entangled fighter! This could be a problem for Lawrence as the Cleric leave the wet area!”

“Oh yes! Of course! There he goes back to dry land. He is turning, looking. There is goes! The waves are un-parting! Lawrence is left all a-tangle under-water. Hope he can hold his breath Bob!”

“The Cleric is running south with the flag towards the fort!”

“He is looking left and right as he goes Bob, he is wondering where the other competitor is no-doubt!”

“He is nearing the fort and… Oh! Look at that, The Blademage has leapt off the top of the fort and landed on him! Attack from above. Sneaky!”

“The Cleric is down, he is wounded but I think he is alive and the Elf has snatched the flag at the last minute and is running up the stairs!”

“The sneaky bastard has done it Bub! Echloplop the Blademage has taken it at the last moment!”

“That’s the idea Bob! Let others do the work and then take it at the last moment. It seems to be becoming a trend around here.”

“So there you have it folks! The Blademage goes through to round 2, the Cleric will go into the play-offs and Lawrence the Vine will go to the bone-yard!”

<Cuts to ads…
View of a poor man, struggling alone near a river. Voice over…
“What’s it like to survive as an outcast? Fleeing from an oppressive regime? Find out in the unlikely named Ingrothechundyer’s top story: Eango’s tale! and don’t miss his other storygames; tales from troop 88 and The story of Turos! Only in ‘The City of IF!’”

…cuts back to the studio…>

“Well, a tactical match there, what do you think Whisper?”

“I think that these guys should stop pussying around and get some blood action on! Come on Bob, I mean a drowning? Where’s the fun in that? I want some gore!”

“Well said Whisper! And I think you will be getting your wish!” <Turns back to the camera> “Stay tuned folks for the play-offs between the losers but survivors of round 1, and then we will be in round 2, where only one can walk off the field alive!”

<zooms out to a high view of the Arena, then cuts to the scheduled children’s programme, ‘What Uncle Rodney did with Susan in the park’…>

#89:  Author: D-LotusLocation: Hollywood, USA PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:32 pm
    —
Lol, pretty good

#90:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:30 am
    —
do you want us to give our tatics for that round as well?

#91:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:10 am
    —
Indeed. Indeed!

#92:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:51 am
    —
and is it capture the flag again?

#93:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:51 am
    —
Hahaha! No no. The time for games has past! Smile

#94:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:53 am
    —
ok then, its on its way

#95:  Author: D-LotusLocation: Hollywood, USA PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:40 pm
    —
What is the next round going to be like? Just a threeway battle?

#96: Round 1 playoffs. Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:10 pm
    —
Round 1 playoffs.

Barak the Cleric vs the 13th Necromancer vs Le Chevaliey Mal-Fait

<Picture of the Arena and voiceover… “but before debut screening of our late adult night feature film ‘Shady does Stockholm’ we join Bub and Whisper in the Arena studio…” Cuts to studio…>

“Yes indeed! Welcome back to the Arena where we will shortly be viewing the Round 1 play-offs, where only one of the competitors will walk out alive.”

“Yes Bub, it’s a brutal fight to the death! Oh! It makes me all tingly!” <rubs her front parts>

“er.. ah, yes. Maybe I was a little hasty the other day…”

“Ohh! Yes Bub! And I didn’t mean it about that slutty Elf! You couldn’t help it!” <Leans forward towards Bub>

“Oh Whisper! I was wrong! Can you forgive me?” <Leans towards Whisper>

“Of course Bub! Come to me!” <Grabs Bub and the two do some serious lip wrestling, slowly falling from view behind the desk. Shortly other noises can be heard…>

“Oh oh oh! YES! Oh Bub! You’re such a man! Give it to me big boy! Oh baby that’s it…”

<Hastily cuts to Bob in the area>

“Ah... Well, thank you Bub and er, Whisper. This is Bob McBobsky on the Arena floor with the three competitors about to enter the Arena.” <Thrusts the mike-orb towards the Cleric.> “Anything to say Barak?”

“Yeah Bob. I am going to kick serious ass out there today. And when I meet that farking hobbit in the next round he will be in for a seriously unhappy time.”

“Woah! I will look forward to that. What about you dark mage?” <The 13th necromancer>

Speak to meeee again mortal and I willll turn you into dussst

“Great great! And finally, our visitor to IF the dark elf Mal-Fait…”

“I will defeat these two and go on to claim victory for the city of OF!” <Crowd boos and throws fruit>

“Okay then! You heard it here first. Now, before we go back to the studio here are some messages from our sponsors…”

<Cut to ads… Shows a leather clad ranger and a large wolf by his side fighting various evil monsters…Voice over…”Follow Detriment the ranger as he battles the evil Mind Flayers is a new storygame from Sorrow_A! In the Fantasy section now!” Cuts back to studio where Bob has joined a Whisper and Bub. Whisper is pulling her dress straight as she speaks…>

“Ohh, I have seen that story with the ranger! He gives me Goosebumps all over!" <Looks at Bub and starts to move towards him, but Bob interrupts…>

“Yes indeed! I have just had word the contestants are in the ‘portal rings and there’s the starting siren! They are off!”

<Bub> “Yes Bob! This match is a death match. Only one competitor must be left alive, or at least able to walk, or crawl away... The eyes are searching them out now…”

<Whisper> “There is that Elf from OF! He is on top of the tower in the South East corner. He has a good position there to see over the Arena!”

<Bob> “…and the 13th Necromancer is next to the rocks on the west side.”

<Bub> “I can see the Cleric, he is just south of the woods, in the center.”

<Bob> “Alright then! The competitors are in place! Let’s see what they do!”

- - - - -
Right then people! Time for your input! Whilst I have strategies sent by the sponsors, let’s have some ideas as to how the competitors should fight this one out! Last time you had some good ideas. I am hoping you will have more this time!

#97:  Author: D-LotusLocation: Hollywood, USA PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:32 pm
    —
The guy from OF waits until the other two kill each other, and then loses anyway.

#98:  Author: Shady StoatLocation: England PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:54 pm
    —
Personally, I think the necromancer should be able to raise the dead spirit of that guy who drowned in the river. They probably haven't dredged him up yet, and then it's two against the other two. Shocked

#99:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:05 am
    —
Now there is an idea!

#100:  Author: Ingrothechundyer PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:35 am
    —
I tend to think that the elf should stay in the tower and shoot any approaching competitors (if he has a bow)

#101:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:41 pm
    —
Quote:
meet that farking hobbit in the next round he will be in for a seriously unhappy time.”

when did the cleric meet the hobbit? it was mal-fait and the necromancer in round round

Quote:
I tend to think that the elf should stay in the tower and shoot any approaching competitors (if he has a bow

can i add a bow to my inventory - seeing how i couldn't think of one ealier?

#102:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:33 pm
    —
Quote:
lordofthenight wrote:
Quote:
meet that farking hobbit in the next round he will be in for a seriously unhappy time.”

when did the cleric meet the hobbit? it was mal-fait and the necromancer in round round

Ah, er. Yes. But they had an argument over the last cream bun in the Arena canteen. Yes. That was it. (Ahem).

Quote:
I tend to think that the elf should stay in the tower and shoot any approaching competitors (if he has a bow

can i add a bow to my inventory - seeing how i couldn't think of one ealier?

Sorry! Too late for that! Actually, I am rather glad no-one thought to get lots of missile weapons, I hadn't planned for them!

Maybe in A2!

#103:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:17 pm
    —
ahh well
in that case i think the elf - namely me - should...kill them both
yep, thats the full extent of my tactics

apart from what chinaren already knows that is

#104:  Author: Sorrow_A PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:44 pm
    —
Here's another old skool D&D idea!

Simply raise the body of Lawrence the Vine, draw a spirit of a great mage (or preferably necromancer) from the Abyss, entwine them, and there you have it, the kick-ass stamina of a warrior with the huge magical power of a mage! If it's a necromancer, then you can have him summon a huge undead horde!

Then have Lawrence the Undead Mage turn on his master after brutally slaying Barak the Cleric. Of course, then you have the City of OF champion elf against Lawrence, and possibly Lawrence wins!

That would make for an interesting outcome . . . nobody would be expecting it, either. Scare the audience.

Also, if the undead mage actually fights with his master, then have Mal-Fait and Barak team up . . . distastefully, obviously, but it is what must be done.

(YOU MADE A MISTAKE WITH THE ADVERTISING AGAIN! AAARRGH! Detriment is the story, Derri is the ranger. Yenal is the wolf. It's a good story. CLICK ON THE LINK!!! NOW!!! And Derri is simply possessed and left nearly-dead, he doesn't kill the mind flayer . . .yet.)

#105: Round 1 conclusion... Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:33 am
    —
“The necromancer is climbing down the rocks, and meanwhile the Cleric is heading towards the water. What is he doing?”

“He had a confrontation in the water last time if you remember Bob. Maybe he is going to try that trick again?”

“It won’t work on these two Bub, they were watching the match and I doubt they would fall for that!”

“Meanwhile, Mal-Fait is crouching down and looking on. Looks like he as decided to play a waiting game!”

“The necromancer has reached the Arena floor and here comes the wand again!”

“Yes, we saw that trick before. He raised the dead in his first match and it nearly won the game for him, will he try the same trick?”

“It looks to be the case Bub! Here they are! Two undead have just been raised! They are looking around and the Necromancer is pointing towards the lake, towards the Cleric!”

“That could be a tactical mistake Bob, remember the Cleric is probably the most suited of all our contestants to deal with the undead!”

“…and look! The Cleric is matching the necromancer at his own game! Whilst we were watching the necromancer he was busy casting a spell, and something is coming out of the water! What is it? Could it be…?”

“Yes! Yes it is Bob! It is none other than Lawrence the Vine! Round one loser to Barak. Ha, how’s that for cunning!”

“The Cleric is pointing towards the tower, it seems he saw our Dark Elf there somehow.”

“Yes, off the undead fighter goes, and here are the two skeletons from the necromancer! The Cleric has seen them!”

“He is whipping out his religious symbol. Here it comes, a predictable move, but a sound tactic!”

“He is turning the undead! There goes one in a pile of dust, but the other one is now listening to Barak, it looks like the cleric has converted it!”

“Yes indeed! He is turning back to the necromancer, and both the undead and the cleric are advancing on the Dark mage!”

“This isn’t looking good for the necromancer Bob!”

“No it isn’t, look! The Cleric is sending in the undead to attack whilst he casts another spell.”

“The undead is keeping the necromancer busy, let’s see how he likes to be on the receiving end eh Bob?”

“Meanwhile our visitor from OF has left the tower and is heading for the dead Lawrence of Vine! I guess he wants to take him out whilst the other two are busy!”

“Good thinking! Yes, look at him go! The undead Lawrence isn’t having an easy time of it and..Ohhh! That would hurt if the fighter was still alive!”

“Yes, Mal-Fait has hacked off a limb! And there goes his head! Lawrence is down again!”

“Yes, for the second time in this competition Lawrence the Vine has been killed! How humiliating is that!?”

“And look! The necromancer has been slowed! The Cleric has cast a slow spell on him. Now Barak is moving in to help his newly recruited undead! The necromancer has been hit! And again, and again!”

“And again Bob! Ohhh! The Cleric is making sure! How flat can you pound a guy’s head?”

“There is just a mush of blood and brain juice left Bub, I guess you can’t be too careful with these necromancers!”

“Look at that! Mal Fait has snuck up behind the Cleric and stuck him in the arm!”

“The cleric has turned, but he is injured! The undead is engaging Mal-Fait, and with the Cleric injured this is a pretty even fight!”

“Sure thing, I would put my money on the fighter in close combat with the Cleric, but the undead evens it up a bit but no! No! Mal Fait has done the undead in!”

“Now it is just the cleric and the Dark Elf Bub, and the cleric knows he is in trouble! He is trying to cast a spell! He is… he is…”

“He is DOWN! Mal-Fait is standing over the prone figure of the cleric! His sword is held high and he is looking at the crowd!”

“The crowd is showing thumbs down Bub! I guess bravery and good tactics don’t mean much in the Arena!”

“Ohhh! There it is! The coup-de-grace! The Dark Elf from OF has struck and struck decisively! Off comes the Clerics head!”

“The Dark Elf seems to have a bit of a fancy for decapitation Bub, and there he is, waving the head about over his head, gore and blood everywhere!”

“…and the crowd is loving it!”

“What a fight, what a fight! Mal-Fait, the visitor from OF is through to round 2!”

<Camera returns to the studio>

“Well, there you go Bub! The play-offs have resulted in Mal-Fair going through to round 2!”

“That’s right Bob, a deserved victory there for the visitor from the stinking city of OF! What say you Whisper?”

“Oh, I think… I think… I love you Bub! Come to me my precious!”

“Oh Whisper!”

“Oh Bub!”

<Bub and Whisper go into a clinch whilst the camera hastily shifts to Bob.>

“Oh get a room you two!” <turns to camera over the sounds of panting in the background> “Finally then, I just have to say get over to the City Auditorium and vote for ‘Good vs Evil vs Money’ before the close of the poll, don’t let that Smee slug take it folks!”

<Camera pans out>

“This is Bob McBobsky reporting from the Arena and saying… Don’t go away! We will be right back with ROUND 2 of THE ARENA OF DEATH! After these messages…”

<cuts to hardcore scenes from ‘Good vs Bad vs Money’ with voiceover… ” Want filth? Then vote for Chinaren in Story Game of the Month! You know it makes sense…”>

#106:  Author: Shady StoatLocation: England PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:49 am
    —
Huzzah for Mal-Fait! All that blood, all that gore, all that undead!

Wooo - I'm getting all tingly Wink

#107:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:51 am
    —
LOL!! Clapping

#108:  Author: Ingrothechundyer PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:57 am
    —
Nice job on the story Smile

Who's left in the arena now?

#109:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:00 am
    —
If you go Here you can see a competitors list.

I will post the prelims and voting for round 2 as soon as I have figured out what I am going to do with it!! Very Happy

#110:  Author: Sorrow_A PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:26 am
    —
Huzzah! Huzzah!

Just out of curiousity, if this is the first time we've done this Arena of Death thing, and it's a new arena, then where did the bodies come from when the necromancer raised the dead (twice)?

Unless we put a special layer of dirt in the Arena filled with dead bodies. I wouldn't put it past you though Chinaren.

#111:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:53 am
    —
woooooooonessssss

nice one mal-fait - ahem.

#112:  Author: Sorrow_A PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:26 pm
    —
Just to clarify. Chinaren, you haven't been accepting bribes, have you? It seems suspicious that LOTN's character, who is obviously hated in all of IF, hasn't been assassinated yet. And if you haven't, then that's a good idea. Very Happy

#113:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:57 pm
    —
No, no bribes in this one, my GvEvM thread is for that!

I have a (rather simplistic) system of dice worked out, and roll for winner as well as who survives/injured/killed etc. Once I know the results I write the chapter. I will make a slightly more complex system up for Arena 2.

For the necromancer's undead, well it was a wand of Undead Summoning, hence there didn't need to be any bodies in the grounds, though there probably was! Wink

#114:  Author: D-LotusLocation: Hollywood, USA PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:10 pm
    —
Lets see the round 2 play offs now!

#115:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:49 am
    —
who says there hasn't been assassins after him - maybe he just killed them first

#116:  Author: Sorrow_A PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:22 pm
    —
Ooo, I didn't think about that.

Hey, what if he's sleeping? I bet he has a proximity alarm or some such, though . . .

#117:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:34 pm
    —
or maybe just really good elvish senses

maybe he has daemonic agreements and bargins

bartering away his soul for more power and protection

and im getting carried away here

#118: Round 2 rules Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:28 am
    —
<”and finally tonight Key, our beloved Mayor, was in a pickle when some wag hoisted his underwear up the City Hall flagpole. The Mayor was heard to say: ‘The *bleep* *bleep* *bleep* Smee *bleep* *bleep* *bleep* with a donkey *bleep* rubber hose *bleep* *bleep* *bleep*’ Ha ha. What a joker, our mayor eh? Please join us with our weekly news roundup at 10, but for now, over to Bob McBobsky in the Arena of Death…”>

<cuts to Bob in the studio…”>

“Welcome back fight fans! This is Bob McBobsky here, in the Arena of Death! Let’s just remind you all that we have four hard core nutters who have moved on into round two. The action will start soon, but first I will explain the rules…”

<turns to another camera angle>

“The four finalists will all enter the Arena together. The layout will remain the same, but with one key difference, there will be a number of chests scattered about the Arena. In some of these chests will be Arena Orbs. To win the coveted title of the First Ever Arena of Death a competitor must collect ten of these orbs. Of course, there are no rules as to how he or she collects the orbs, so if they were to take some from another competitor, then that’s just good luck for them!”

“I need to remind all finalists to submit their tactics for approval to the co-ordination department, and all spectators that betting should be completed before the finals commence. Finally, I want to remind all of you happy citizens of IF that BLOOD PARTY will be commencing in the near future, so you should keep a close eye on our shops in the marketplace!”

“This is Bob McBobsky, coming to you live from the ARENA OF DEATH! Stay tuned folks, the best is yet to come!”

<Fade to black>

#119:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:43 am
    —
ok then

sounds like ignoring the globes and killing everyone is the plan for this trick

#120: FINALS begin!!! Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:57 am
    —
<Deep voiced male voiceover while shots of the Arena games show.

Blood! Gore! Mayhem and carnage! Swords and sorcery! We have seen it all in the ARENA OF DEATH! But more is to come! Let’s go to the Arena now for the stunning finals of ARENA OF DEATH! Here, as ever, are your hosts Bob and Bub…”

cuts to the now familiar faces of Bob and Bub. Bub is talking to Bob in a low voice…>

“…bitch has given me the clap…” <lights come up and both hurriedly turn to the camera>

“Welcome citizens of IF! This is Bub Bubbabub here, with my good friend Bob McBobsky, and here it is! The one you have all been waiting for! Finally, we are entering Endgame of the world’s first ever Arena of Death! You can cut the atmosphere here with a spoon, right Bob?”

“I think you mean knife, but I know what you mean Bub! The crowd is shouting and singing, and a few scuffles broke out earlier but it is all under control now. The militia has asked me to say that if anyone is caught with ale, they must share it with the officers.”

“…but back to the action in the Arena Bob. Our four finalists are in the portal rings as we speak. Remember, this round sees the familiar Arena layout, but with chests dotted around at random. In some of these chests are Arena ‘orbs’, who knows what is in the others? Who ever is the first to collect ten of these orbs, by whatever means they can think of, will win the championship!”

“It’s a game that offers several strategies Bub. There’s the starting siren! The competitors have just been ported into the game, let’s catch up with the action from our flying eyes on the Arena floor…”

“There is Bungo Kneecapper, just north of the bridge and right next to a chest!”

“I can see Rufus the mage not too far away, he is just north of the hut in the center of the arena. Remember, Rufus showed some pretty devastating moves in round 1, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was top of the hit list for the other players!”

“Oh yes, one to watch, and here is another one, the filthy Elf from OF has arrived just north of the rocks and just south of the wooded area. He is in plain sight of Rufus, and vice-versa!”

“Finally, I can see the Blademage, he has landed in the stream to the south of the bridge! Oooh, that’s going to annoy him! And Bungo has seen him land, I don’t know if the warrior has seen the hobbit though!”

“And look at the Orb-chests! There must be about 20 of them! There are three between Rufus and Mal-fat alone, with one of the bridge and several in the sandy zone near the Blademage.”

“It’s going to be an interesting fight Bub! What do you think the competitors are going to do?”

>>>>

Well? What do you will they do? The sponsors have PMd me their strategies already, but suggestions from the spectators are now welcome! Go go go!

#121:  Author: Sorrow_A PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:15 pm
    —
Well, Bungo has a pretty good vantage point to start throwing some knives around, or rocks. The Blademage wouldn't like that.

Of course, Mister OF Elf already has some grudge against the halfling for beating him in the first match.

Rufus, from what I remember, thrashed Rathier completely (COMPLETELY) in the first round -- he's got some tricks up his sleeve. But a regular old FireBall won't get him anywhere, now -- time for some unorthodox ownage.

The Blademage might have a little trouble seeing his target . . . the dude's a bit short, and the Blademage is underwater, which could hamper a few things.

#122:  Author: KeyLocation: The Royal Palace PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:04 pm
    —
Looks like Malfait and Rufus are going to tangle first, since they landed so close to each other. For Rufus, I'd say stick with what works - go with a fireball again. If I were Malfait, I'd try to close the distance quick before Rufus can cast, and be ready to jump out of the way of whatever he throws at me. Once Malfait closes, he's got the advantage.

#123: Arena of Death - The end! Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:37 pm
    —
“The Blademage is wading out of the stream Bob, he is heading for the chest near the Halfling.”

“Yes, I don’t think he has seen Bungo, who is crouching down behind it and is using his abilities to merge into the landscape.”

“Those little people Bob, I always said you couldn’t trust them, sneaky little bas…”

“Wait! Let’s see what happens here! The Blademage is approaching cautiously, he still hasn’t seen the hobbit, he is looking…Oh!”

“Yes indeed Bob, that has to hurt! Bungo Kneecapper has leapt out and pickaxed the Blademages’ kneecaps! I guess that name was really earned!”

“…but the Blademage isn’t helpless, even on the floor with blood streaming from his legs. He has lashed out with his big sword and given the hobbit a nasty cut along the shoulder. Bungo has had enough, he has run for cover into the wooden hut!”

“Meanwhile Rufus has leapt for cover himself, in the rocks, and Mal-Fatty is skulking around the hut, keeping close to the walls.”

“I can’t see clearly Bub, but I think the mage is busy casting some sort of spell. It doesn’t look like a fireball, but I don’t know what affect it has had.”

“Mal-Foot has seen him though, he is crouching low and zig-zagging towards the mage, wary of those fireballs!”

“…and here comes one now! Rufus has seen Mal-Fait and look at it go! A huge ball of fiery death heading for the Citizen of OF!”

“But look at him roll! The slippery elf has dodged the fireball with only peripheral burns!”

And it has hit the wooden hut! The hut has just exploded in a HUGE ball of fire!”

“Oh my! Bungo Kneecapper was in there Bob! Rufus has just made some hobbit toast!”

“Meanwhile the Blademage has opened the first chest and has found two Arena Orbs! Eight more and he wins the competition!”

“Rufus has also seen a chest Bob, hidden away in the rocks. He is opening it… Oh! Booby trap! It’s a booby trap box!”

“Indeed, indeed Bub, Rufus simply wasn’t careful enough. Some sort of needle trap by the look of it, a classic chest trap!”

“Yes, they are often poisoned as well, and Rufus does seem to be staggering around somewhat.”

“Meanwhile the Blademage is dragging himself towards the bridge and the chest. I guess with his knees out of operation he is trying to get as many orbs as possible.”

“But Mal-Fart has seen him! He has decided to ignore Rufus for a moment and dispatch the Blademage. The Blademage has seen him!”

“He is trying to crawl away, no! No, now he is turning and he has thrown one of his blades! But the visitor from OF ducks and closes fast!”

<Bub winces> “Ohh, there goes the Blademage Bob! Nastily gutted by the gutter slime that is the Elf from OF! A nasty end for the brave Blademage who was down and practically defenseless, at the hands of a dirty foreigner!”

“That’s the way the skeleton crumbles Bub! Now, what is Rufus doing?”

“He is not looking well Bob, that needle must have been coated with something unpleasant for sure!”

“…and now here comes Mal-Fait, heading into the rocks to take care of his last opponent! He certainly seems to be having a lucky streak today!”

“Yes, I am sure there is a saying about scummy dogs getting all the luck Bob! Rufus is trying to climb up onto a rock, maybe to get a better view of the surroundings, but he is struggling.”

“Here is Mal-Fait, he has entered the area himself, carefully, he knows that the Mage is a dangerous opponent, but I guess he doesn’t know he is not at his best. There may be hope for the mage if only he can fight off the affects of the poison before Mal-Fait gets to him!”

“Oh no! No chance of that Bob! Mal-Frog has seen our brave hero from IF staggering around. He is pausing though; maybe he thinks it is some sort of trap.”

“He is looking around and… Oh he is going in! Rufus has seen him and appears to be trying to cast a spell, but the poison is confusing him. There is a lightning bolt, but it misses! It has hit a rock next to the dark Elf and showered him with shrapnel.”

“But it isn’t enough to stop him! He has closed and ooooh!” <Quick shot of Bub covering his hand with his eyes in the studio> “That was so uncalled for!”

“I agree Bub! There is simply no call for that sort of painful mutilation of an enemy in civilized society. Some things they do over there in OF are just plain sick!”

“Finally though, Mal-F**k has raises his sword and down it comes! Rufus has finally been put out of his misery, and the winner of the first ever Arena of Death is the tourist from OF!”

<Crowd boos>

“Yes, there won’t be much celebration here tonight Bub!”

<Cuts back to the studio. Bub turns to Whisper>

“So Whisper, your comments and thoughts on that match?”

“Oh Bub! Bub!”

“What is it Whisper?”

<Whisper leans over and whispers something to Bub>

“WHAT? You sure?”

“Yes Bub! I am with child!”

<Bub falls backwards off his seat and the camera cuts back to Bob>

“Well its congratulations all round today!” <puts his hand to his ear> “…and I have just heard that the Mayor himself is going to present the award to Mal-Fait. Let’s go over now to watch!”

<Camera cuts to the Mayor, dressed in his Mayoral robes in which various bottles of alcohol can be seen stuffed in the pockets. The Mayor takes a trophy and an envelope from two scantily clad maidens on either side of him and turns to the bloodied Mal-Fait. Camera zooms in on the mayor as he hands the Trophy to Mal-Fait and begins his speech :>

“As the Mayor of this illustrious city, let me thank all of the competitors, living and dead, for their efforts in this great competition. Now, we have in our midst a surprising winner - a competitor from our sister city with which we have an always-friendly rivalry, the City of OF.

Now I know there are some among you who might be a bit, put out, shall we say, by the fact that our City's greatest tournament was just won by what some call a "@#$%% nasty stinking foreigner.” But let's put all that behind us and be good hosts. We don't really know why he won. Maybe the other competitors all ignored him because they know that everyone from the City of OF is a wimp. Who knows?

The important thing is that Le Chevaliey Mal-Fait won fair and square. I'm hereby bestowing on him an official City of IF honor, as promised. I'm also granting him a special award of 200 fables in cash. Now ordinarily, if I were to give a large cash award like this, I would suggest that the recipient acquire some security to protect him from thieves and muggers and the like, which as we all know infest even the greatest of cities. However, in this case I'm sure that as Mal-Fait has just bested the greatest warriors in the City of IF, he would have no problem defending his 200 fables in cash against anyone who might be interested in a little extra money to have a good time this weekend.

Besides, the first priority of the City of IF security is to defend City of IF citizens. No, I think it's pretty clear that Le Chevaliey Mal-Fait will be all alone with the 200 fables which I am now putting in his pocket, but I'm sure that the citizens of IF will treat him well, or, if not, that he will be well able to defend himself. After all, we've got nothing to prove, do we, despite the fact that this upstart just beat our best heroes? We're bigger than that.

Congratulations, Mal-Fait, and good luck in your future life, however long that may be.”

<Key backs away and, encircling the two maiden’s waists, staggers off back to the mayoral box. Mal-Fait raises his trophy and shakes it at the crowd, who boo. He glares around, then, putting his money in his pouch, takes a sword out and marches off towards the Arena exit… Camera pans back to the studio, where Bob, Bub and Whisper and sat once again.>

“Well Bub, so ends the first every ARENA OF DEATH!”

“That’s right Bob! It has been a roller coaster ride of highs and lows that’s for sure!”

“Indeed it has Bub, and before we go let’s just pause a moment to remember the fallen, who gave the ultimate sacrifice so that we could have a bit of entertainment for a few minutes.”

“Let’s not forget Chinaren Bob, for bringing us such a great show!”

“Indeed Bub, a selfless act by a selfless man. The least we could do to say thank-you is vote for him in the upcoming polls in Storygame of the Month, in the City Auditorium, his StoryGame of Good v Evil v money is long overdue for a win!”

“Sure thing Bob, and let’s not forget his new Story of a Picture, or SoaP competition in Experimental either, plus all the other stories which can be found in his sig!”

“So then, this is Bob, Bub and Whisper saying thank-you for watching, don’t forget to keep an eye out for Arena of Death 2 – Blood Party! Coming soon.”

“From us all – Goodbye for now, see you again soon!”

<Camera pans out as they all shake hands and hug, then cuts to various scenes of the Arena and then to a shot of Mal-Fait, outside the Arena, surrounded by angry citizens, wielding his sword trying to get through the crowd… It draws back into the sky, higher and higher until the Arena, then the city is lost in the clouds….

Fade to black.>

Last edited by Chinaren on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total

#124:  Author: Shady StoatLocation: England PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:36 pm
    —
Boooo! Hssss!

I mean... well done Mal-Fait. Jolly well played, old sport! Wink

No, seriously, I don't mind who won the tournament. For me, the real stars were Bob and Bub. Well written, China! Cool

#125:  Author: SmeeLocation: UK PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:35 am
    —
Excellent stuff. Very Happy

Quote:
For me, the real stars were Bob and Bub

Indeed they were.

Well done Chinaren.

Only a shame my character Rufus came second. Nevermind. Smile

Happy Writing. Smile

#126:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:55 am
    —
wooness - victory

just a few things though

Quote:
“Meanwhile Mal-Fait is dragging himself towards the bridge and the chest. I guess with his knees out of operation he is trying to get as many orbs as possible.”

“But Mal-Fart has seen him! He has decided to ignore Rufus for a moment and dispatch the Blademage. The Blademage has seen him!”

i think the first mal-fait was meant to be the blade mage as it was he who got kneecapped.

Quote:
“I agree Bub! There is simply no call for that sort of painful mutilation of an enemy in civilized society. Some things they do over there in IF are just plain sick!”

surely thats meant to be the city of OF?

and once again - wooness. killing someone from behind is always much more fun

#127:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:02 am
    —
Thanks Lordy, fixed!

And congratulations! Very Happy

#128:  Author: Ingrothechundyer PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:10 am
    —
Very nice ending.

#129:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:13 am
    —
Thanks Ingro.

I forgot to mention, Key actually wrote his speech, so credit to our beloved mayor for that part please!

I think Key should do something in humor!

#130:  Author: Sorrow_A unlogged PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:20 am
    —
Aaaaww, a nice happy ending for everyone!

Isn't this your first completed storygame? Congratulations.

Quick question. Are Bob, Bub and Whisper going to be in Arena 2, or are you going to have a new batch of cannon fodder--er, hosts?

#131:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:23 am
    —
keep them, keep them

jim and bob are mine though

#132:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:36 am
    —
Quote:
Isn't this your first completed storygame? Congratulations.

Well so it is!! Woo! (Take a swig of beer to celebrate) Cheers

For Bob/Bub, I don't know yet. I am torn. They are good characters I think, with a bit of history now, but new ones, or maybe just one, would give me some new stuff to work with.

(ponders as he rushes off to the W.C, as they like to call it here).

#133:  Author: Hyperion PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:29 pm
    —
"Bloody hell. I hate losing Mirror Images. I'll be drained for DAYS!" *fades*

City of IF -> The Vault

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 8 Hours

Page 1 of 1