Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
City of IF Story, Part VI

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Key
King

Topics: 207

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: City of IF Story, Part VI Reply with quote

Latest installment of the history of the City posted here.

Comments welcome, as always.
Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Topics: 46

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: City of IF Story, Part VI Reply with quote

Bravo, masterfully done, our gracious king!
Key wrote:
What do you do?

Generally I maim people.
Oh, and burn stuff.
And take over the city with any means possible.
Oh wait...you mean...what is my writing style...
Well, I like magical worlds.
And being sarcastic.
And burning stuff.

...No plans yet.
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Topics: 58

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent ending to the Story of IF. It reflects many of my own sentiments regarding personal enjoyment of the site. Although the reasoning seems obvious to me, any newcomer browsing the city streets will now have further fuel for thought as he contemplates joining the populace of our fine city.
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent - as others have said - a great finish to the story.

I actually think this final chapter is so important for new people to read it might be worth highlighting it in the FAQ's.

Trying to look at the home page as a new user, I would almost certainly read the FAQ's straight away, but would probably leave the link to The Site's History until later either out of desire to get to the forums, or because I've already decided the site isn't for me - therefore missing this vital ''sales pitch' not found until chapter 6.

If it was highlighted at the end of the FAQ with a link - "What can this site offer me?" - I think it would get the views it needs to make an impact. Plus it should then be read before the new person registers - maybe reducing the number of new members who are registering without finding out what the site is about.
Key
King

Topics: 207

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent suggestion, Smee. I've taken you up on it. Very Happy
Argon18
Citizen

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The City of IF is text-heavy right now: there are lots of great stories but not so many great visuals. As I mentioned in the previous section, graphical and animated storygames are a big part of the City's future; if you have these skills your contributions are welcome, whether you're adding images to your own storygame, creating them for someone else, or collaborating with a writer on a text-and-graphics storygame.

I'm all for that since I think pictures help to tell stories with more richness and detail as an aid to the imagination more than anything else.

I tried to enhance my stories with 3D models to try and keep the characters and scenes consistent and be able to carry on the story. This applies to both the text-and-graphic style and the comic book style.

I've also aquired some skills in Flash since it's easier to fit into the memory and download limits of web pages. Both 2D illustration and 3D images can be used in this manner with a lot more interactivity than straight ahead text storytelling can be done with the scripting that Flash allows. Branches can be developed and votes can be tallied with it automatically with more of a graphic interface.

I'd be happy to discuss the details with anyone who wants to get more indepth about it.

Click get the animated comic of the Writer's Nightmare on DVD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: