Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
The Hero and the Assassin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree. It's safer.
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ofcourse we enjoyed it. it makes some sence to me. maybe weaver understands since he talks..well.. *coughcrapcough* *clears trought* what I said nothing.
Very Happy *Waiting for next chappy.* Smile
DukeReg
Citizen

Topics: 4

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* I keep missing polls.

So if I understand it correctly, the beast wants to wander around in full control of Inthas' normal body? Agree for sure.

This is almost a blessing, because he will be relatively weak and incapable of causing anywhere near the damage of his big ugly form, even if he is going completely loco.

As for the beast trying to use Inthas form to fool or manipulate Xsyle... I'm sure smarter, more charming monsters have tried and failed. Wink

Eventually the beast will calm down a bit and they can try to make more progress.

Completed SGs:
Tempting Fate
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagree. Try to compimise if you can. Perhaps offer the beast the same thing he offers you, that he can walk in your body, but with you.

Keep talking. Bargin like you have never have before. Just try to keep the deals even, so that Inathas and the beast both get they want, but that Inathas remains in control of his body.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New poll...voting begins now.

"Music makes you braver."

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rai i hope you'll understand i boted disagree, what i meant was he had to listen to the beast and disagree his thought.

Smile hope you understand, because if he doesn't trust the beast and doesn't let it have what it wants it'll go beserk. and if it asks for more then disagree. thus coming to a conclusion of dins answer.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking for a tie-breaker...otherwise I'll have to do it myself.

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broke the tie. Unleash!
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fenny for the tie-breaker...see what I said about me an my tie-breaker luck? Enjoy.
--------------------------

Chapter Twenty: Untouchable

Inthas could do nothing but accept, nothing but give the beast what it wanted. He felt it's smugness as it let him take over, guiding him and instructing him in the ways of his new body, his new powers. Inthas wasn't as stupid as the beast...no wait. The beast wasn't stupid, merely basic. It didn't have the complex needs that required complex thoughts.

That was probably why Inthas could read the suspicion written in Xsyle's face while the beast only noted her words as she made them do any number of little things. They seemed annoying and pointless to the beast, endless repititions of movement. Even if it was combat movement, the beast didn't see how learning these patterns was going to help when the blood was actually flowing. But it was willing to take Inthas's word for it.

Slowly the training session wound to an end, the dream world fading away. Before Xsyle could change him back Inthas allowed the beast to the front. He never really knew how the beast did it but one moment they were in the dream world...the next Inthas was stuck in the back of his own mind as his body woke up. Other self will watch now while He does His work. He will have the small female and Other Self will have nothing!

Inthas wanted to do something, anything, but he was not in control. He'd made the bargain and now, despite all his trying, he couldn't break the beast down. He could only groan, a prisoner in his own mind, and watch what happened when the beast tried to take down Xsyle.
-------------------------

Xsyle knew something was wrong the moment she woke up...Inthas was staring at her with an intensity she could feel. "Well...last night was rather productive. Another night like that and I might consider you capable of not getting killed in battle. Maimed most likely...but not killed." Her suspicion deepened when Inthas stood in a fluid manner unlike his usual self...it was much more like a big cat getting ready for the stalk.

He did not speak to her, another unusual thing, nor did he move sulkily, which was the biggest tip off yet. "You're still the beast..." With a wide grin Inthas lunged at her with a growl. He hit the metal side of the room with a meaty thud, Xsyle having neatly side-stepped him. You should listen to your Other Self...he knows better than this. She snarled at him.

Other Self is weak! Other self may not be able to take you but He can! Another rush, another neat side-step with a quick foot trip added in to make the beastial Inthas hit the floor again. This time Xsyle had had enough.

I do not want you filthy little half-blood! Come at me again and I shall make you beg. Inthas turned to her, muscles bulging, nostrils flaired, hair swept into feral eyes. His lips drew back in a snarling smile.

You are too weak to change...too weak to take me.

If that is what you think then test your luck. If you win then you have your rights...if you lose you shall work with your Other Self to become One Self. The beast laughed.

He and Other self can never become one. No Other self can ever bond with Us.

If I still had my eyes you would know different. Normally all she would have needed to do was stare Inthas down...but she didn't have that painless option now. Cracking her knuckles she grinned...finally an excuse to legitimately beat the piss out of the boy.

He played right into his part as well although he no longer charged her. Now he circled cautiously, trying to find a weakness in her defense no doubt. She grinned...better had tried and failed. Blind or not she could still take Inthas any time of the day or night. He waited until he had circled three times before trying to strike at her left shoulder from slightly behind her.

She sprang into the air, the swipe blurring past underneith her, spinning around and landing a kick that blew Inthas across the room. Your reflexes are disgraceful runling. He hissed, drawing himself up off the floor with wounded grace. Xsyle wasn't even winded as she cocked her head to the side listening. That was when beastial Inthas must have either picked something up from the Inthas trapped in the back of his mind, or shown some basic cunning.

He took off his shirt and began to toss about with it, slapping in different directions while he growled and padded softly. It would have worked if it had been any other blind person but Xsyle. Xsyle, however, had only been truely blind once...in that garden where everything had been making noise. Here, no matter how hard he tried, he was still just one thing making noise.

She let him think he had her off balance and, sure enough, he took the bait, trying to tackle her from behind. You can imagine his surprise when she slipped past him, digging her fingers into the soft flesh of his throat while another steely arm locked both of his down. Struggle as he might he could not break free, her grip on his windpipe growing tighter all the time. He jerked back with his head, trying for a headbutt to her face. Her head, however, was somewhere by his shoulder.

He tried to sweep her legs, both were obvious tactics both probably offered by Inthas to the beast, but she neatly avoided both times. Give it up runling...I'm above your abilities. Slowly the struggles ceased and she released him before he lost conciousness. He fell to the floor on hands and knees, coughing and gasping for breath.

How can you do that?

I'm Untouchable. You'll learn. She placed her hands on hips, head cocked toward him. You'll learn or you'll die runling. He spat on the ground.

And I suppose you'll kill me Tainted One? You'll spill my blood like you've spilled the blood of thousands of others. You'll embrace your darkness once again to lay me low? A grim smile spread across her features showing dazzling teeth, two of which were slightly pointed.

Only if I have to to save your hide. Now work with the man, not against him. You'll have far better results if you do.
-------------------------------

The beast left him with a whump, retreating to a corner of his mind muttering about 'Ganheathers' whatever those were. Poking the beast he asked but got no reply save more grumbling about being 'treated like a runling' whatever a runling was. Inthas felt he had been well worked over even though it could have been worse. And his abused throat allowed him no speech whatsoever.

For a few moments they just sat there, Xsyle leaning against one wall, Inthas curled up against another. He thought he was imagining it at first when a foggy mist crept into the corner of the room. He certainly couldn't mention it to Xsyle, who seemed oblivious, not with his voice out of serivice. Instead he watched it until it crept back out again.

'Strange', he thought, and wondered. 'What should I do about that?'

Well, what can he do?
----------------------

Sorry bout the wait. Hope you liked.

DukeReg
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is strange about the mist exactly? Is it something he has picked up with his new senses, or was he just not expecting it?

Completed SGs:
Tempting Fate

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...Inthas is really...weak.
Anyways, cool chapter Rai, now just let me catch up on the rest....
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Reg: What seems strange is that the mist seemed to have a mind of it's own...it acted like a living thing.

To Fenny: Inthas is not weak, as you'll find out when things get going. It's just when you compare him to Xsyle he's a marshmellow in tinfoil wrapping...Mostly he's just naive.

DukeReg
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if Inthas really can't talk at all, can he at least crawl? If he crawls to a place where it will get to Xsyle before it gets to him, he should be fine.

I'd be surprised if she didn't know something was going on anyway. Not being able to see seems more of a quirk than a handicap for her. Unless the colour of the mist is significant in some way that Inthas recognises and can communicate, I think Xsyle has more chance of doing something about it than Inthas does.

Completed SGs:
Tempting Fate
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can crawl. He's a little brused up, especially on his throat, but he's otherwise okay. He's just a little weak and shouldn't be thinking about fighting.

And you're right...Xsyle has spent years eliminating possible handicaps. She's one of the best assassin's after all...

DukeReg
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalanna Rai wrote:
one of the best

Shocked You mean there's other assassins who are even in her ballpark?

Completed SGs:
Tempting Fate
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two best assassin's ever on record are Shade and Adara. It's assumed they met even though they were active in different time periods since both are koshugon and, therefore, almost ageless.

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New poll...make some voting magic.

Items

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hallo there *comes out darkness of my world* I think it be cool like hide he knows. Very Happy wear something protective when you hide, like maybe a helmet of somesort. Smile haha maybe he'll have a close cut from his enamies. I think. Now let me think of the little secrit your hiding. Smile ... g2g.

Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...hmmmm...*closes eyes and reaches out for a button*
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's time to draw you back in. Enjoy.

Chapter Twenty One: The Eater of Dreams

Inthas knew he needed to relax as much as he could for now, regain his strength and wait for the aches to subside. He debated mentioning the mist to Xsyle but his throat would allow him no more than a rasping hiss. As he slowly crawled across the floor he resigned himself to the fact that she probably already knew it was there. This was Xsyle afterall...she seemed to know everything.

He looked at her, standing there in the center of the room. He'd have accused her of staring at him even though she could do no such thing and was, indeed, facing the door to his left instead. Reaching his blankets he wrapped himself up, rubbing his bruised arms and making sure he hadn't rebroken his nose. He finally managed to coax a whisper from his bruised throat. "It's time's like this I wish I'd never left home." Xsyle turned to him.

"You'd rather be back in the halls of your Order hum? In the Cloudthorn Keep?" Inthas remembered the Keep's hallways like he'd been there yesterday...indeed to his mind he'd been there only scant months ago not well over five-hundred years. But it wasn't the carved granite blocks and fluttering hangings of the Keep he was missing...it was his real home.

"No Xsyle. Before I went into service for the Order I lived on a farm with my parents...or well with my mother. My father was a traveler of sorts...mother always claimed he was a caravan guard. We worked the farm and waited for him to return, he never came back at the same time, never staied for the same amount of time...that much I can recall.

I remember that my mother woke me one night not long after my little brother was born. She was crying and told me she'd dreamed my father had died. I was too young to believe her...maybe five at the time. But when papa didn't return the next year I knew something was wrong...he'd been gone for a long time before Vanni was born and with the passing of another year...well he'd never staied away that long.

Mother tried her best to keep the farm going but it had been hard before when it was only herself and I and Father was bringing home money when he returned. Now with the three of us and no other source of income...well when that knight rode into our yard and lodged at our house for the night...." Xsyle nodded.

"At the tender age of six your mother thought that an order of knights could better provide for you than she could....Is that right?" Inthas nodded, then vocally affirmed.

"Things did get better for her though...she married a wealthy man in town and sold off the farm. It was better for her health and at least Vanni had a better chance at a father than I did." Inthas's eyes took on a misty quality...a rare thing. "I sometimes remember him you know...as a smell and a big pair of rough hands that picked me up and tossed me in the air...and never missed catching me." Inthas coughed and grimaced as pain flaired in his throat again. "When Mother died I was off on my test to rise to the rank of Paladin. I was hunting down Adara."

Xsyle moved toward him now, pressing her hand on his throat again. A cool sensation spread from her fingertips and, in moments, the healing was complete. "Thank you."

"You're voice was so low you weren't giving me enough echo to map your face. It's disconcerting that...a disembodied voice in your ears." Inthas laughed.

"Good to know there's something you don't like out there." Xsyle snorted at him.

"There's a great deal of things out there I don't like Inthas, myself first and foremost amoung them. Now if we could quit with the nostalgic moments and move onto a useful discussion...such as what you've learned about your beast I'd appriciate it." With a sigh Inthas began answering Xsyle's questions.

"Xsyle...what about you?"

"What about me?"

"You came from somewhere. You had family. What were they like? Where were you born?" For a few moments she tapped her fingers on the stones...then a smile split her face. Inthas groaned...he knew that smile.

"Tell you what. You start showing improvement and, when you reach maturity, I'll give you my history as a present. Or you can just keep acting like the idiot I know you're not and you'll remain in the dark. Is it a deal?" Inthas took and shook the hand she extended.

"Deal." It was at that moment he noticed the fog again but this time...this time it covered the ceiling. It had snuck in without his noticing and only now as Xsyle's contacte flaired his senses wide open again could he detect it's subtle movements. "Xsyle...?"

"I know Inthas...I felt it's presence last night. It's also marked on the map. Remember the Grappion? This creature is like that. It's a Caelrog a Dreaming One. Normally they were kept as pets by my people since they bestowed wonderful dreams upon their owners if they were well treated. This one, however, is a miasma of evil. It stalked us last night in the Dream World for part of the night...had it found us sooner I would have had a terrible time fending it off without trapping us in that world for far longer than we wanted."

Inthas looked back at her. "So what are we going to do about it?"

"It depends..are you brave enough? And can you work with your beast well enough?"

"Just tell me what needs doing."

"Caelrog are as invunerable as fog for the most part. You can hack at them all you want and deal them no damage. You can cast any spell and it will absorbe the energy for food. However, if you can strike the heart of the beast while it's unprotected, a single mighty blow will kill it. I will go to sleep and fight the monster there. Since it will have to concentrate most of it's energies upon me there it's heart will be prime for the striking. But you'll need the beast to help you locate it and then you'll need it to help you deal the blow."

For a moment Inthas despaired. "Isn't there another way?" Xsyle shrugged.

"You can try holding it off in the Dream World if you want and I'll seek out it's heart. But I warn you, there's no way to kill it in the Dream Worlds. You'll have to play hit and run, keeping a close eye on the way back to your own body or else it'll strand you there and devoure you. Your choice Hero...seek the heart or keep it distracted."
-------------

What will he do?

Hope you liked.

Sallume92054

Items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalanna Rai wrote:
And it's time to draw you back in. Enjoy.

Chapter Twenty One: The Eater of Dreams

"You can try holding it off in the Dream World if you want and I'll seek out it's heart. But I warn you, there's no way to kill it in the Dream Worlds. You'll have to play hit and run, keeping a close eye on the way back to your own body or else it'll strand you there and devoure you. Your choice Hero...seek the heart or keep it distracted."
-------------

What will he do?

Hope you liked.

Given that he's not had overwhelming success with his beast, I think he'd rather not risk going rogue when trying to fight something. I don't know. He's got enough of a devil may care attitude to risk things, but enough good cause to want to work out a compromise with his beast. I think he's going to try to keep it distracted and try to keep the beast on a short leash at the same time. I also think that he's going to have a very interestesting time of it. Perhaps actually teaching his beast something about the strategy of the human side of him. Instint and beastial abilities are fine, but there is something that being small, pink and not very tough that teaches you some caution. Give him what for from the beast for trying to keep it distracted. And the beast gets a real lesson about thinking verses instincts. I'm looking forward to the poll. See you then.

Dave
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again I love your suggestions and will definetly take them into my writing pool of thought. You've misread the DP slightly though.

His choice is either to strike the Heart of the Eater of Dreams or go into the dream world and distract the Eater while Xsyle strikes at the heart.

Also you read all this in one sitting? Wow. *bows deeply with great appriciation*

dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Sallume.

Don't take the chance of the becoming rogue. Also I agree that in the dream world our 'hero' may be able to teach the beast a lesson or two about caution.

Besides, with Xysle's skill, experience, and training, she should be able to find the heart relatively quickly verses Inathas who probably struggle at the task.

So to the Dream World we go.

Items

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both Din and Dave-sallume....

the dream world would be a great place to face it....

Since it works almost everywhere. Smile
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New poll...vote.

DukeReg
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted to go after the heart, for 2 reasons.

Firstly, Inthas and the Beast together, at this time, are almost useless for anything but going into a controlled rage and tracking down and destroying things. This is what needs to be done to the heart.
The dream, however, requires restraint and caution, and focus on avoiding the enemy and remembering the way back to the body. He is not ready for this, and could easily end up trapped away from his body.

Secondly, over the course of the story I have come to believe that if Xsyle sets out a plan without hesitation, it is probably the best plan available. Inthas had to ask her for alternatives, but I don't see why the alternative is more attractive.

Completed SGs:
Tempting Fate
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright I've let this alone long enough so now, net willing, is the next installment. Enjoy!

Chapter Twenty Two: In the Dark

Inthas stared at Xsyle's cloth-bound eyes, wishing he could look beyond the cloth and know what lay behind it, however ruinous. He looked at her form, her figure, and though he knew her to be older than nations, older than lakes and rivers, he could not think of her as so much older than himself. He wanted to know how this slender whip of a female, with delicate bone structure and chorded muscles like silk-bound wire, had come to shoulder the weight of the world. And to do that he needed to prove himself.

"You seek the heart, I'll distract the beast." She nodded and he continued, eager to explain his reasoning. "When I faced the Grappion it taught me something. You distracted the beast just long enough for it to be destroyed even though you could do nothing to kill it. If throwing rocks at a menace only magic could lay low worked in reality I'm sure the struggles between myself and my beast will be like blood in the water for this..."

"Caelrog." Despite not having eyes Inthas could feel her attention boring through him. "If this is what you wish then so be it Inthas. I will strike at the Heart instead and I shall be as swift as permitted." Her hand flicked out to caress his brow and, before he could contemplate the meaning of those last words, Inthas was falling into the Dream World.
----------------------------

Xsyle listened as Inthas hit the floor, his breathing light and regular. She could feel the Caelrog all around her, pressing in on her own awareness even as it dampened sound. She didn't know if it was smart enough to figure out that she depended upon sound to hear or whether it was just taking pains to keep it's prey asleep but it was playing havok with her 'sight'. Still she knew this chamber well enough to find the door unaided, open it, and slip into the hallway beyond.

Nobody knew how hard it was for Xsyle to actually make noise as she moved. Trained most of her life to be as silent as a shadow, as stealthy as a controlled breath, it was apalling to her to be forced to hum. It was galling to allow her feet to slap the floor with what seemed like leaden thuds even though they were hardly louder than a childs footstep on tile. Her breath hissed in and out as her hands slid into her gauntlets, fingers flexing to make sure all settled well.

Using her teeth to tighten the ties in place, lips deftly fastening buckles, she allowed her claws to scrape the stones of the wall. The screeching echos illuminated her world, showing her the tunnel she followed and those than branched off of it. Throwing out her 'feelers' she caught a whisp of the Caelrog and tried to lock on. It was like trying to take a handful of mist and clasp it tight. But if anyone could manage such an impossible task it was Xsyle.

Indeed after the first few attempts in which it slipped from her grasp, Xsyle merely allowed her psyche to sweep it, brushing as gently against it as a feather. Indeed it was better this way, the beast would dismiss her as a threat if she seemed indifferent of it. Yet still, every contact made it realize that only one of the pair was within it's dreaming clutches. At this rate it would be aware of the physical being stalking it...and that wasn't good.

"But how else am I to find it? It make no noise and I cannot see it." She stopped for a moment, pondering her options. There seemed only one answer. She allowed her humming to fall away as her voice, full and lilting, swept out before her in the Old Tounge. It wasn't just a song, it was a war song, a call to arms. In moments she could feel the chill as the one she had called answered her.

Lady, it has been long since last you walked these halls. Welcome back.[i]

Xsyle turned toward the chill that crawled up her left side, inclining her head at the formal words in slightly archic Old Tounge. [i]Galdern I thank you for the welcome old friend and pardon my bad manners for desturbing your rest.[i]

[i]I was not resting Lady, none of us do here. We only walk in circles inside this mountain, once our home now our prison, dreaming of light and vengance. Why have you called?

Xsyle grinned. Always like Galdern to be both long windedly poetic and tacturn in the same sentance. The Eater of Dreams desturbs the rest of my pupil. I will not stand for such. Yet I cannot track the beast by sight, smell, sound, or psy-sense. Thus I ask you Galdern to lead me to my prey.

A long laugh issued from the spirit. Were it any but you Lady I'd say this was a sign of weakness. But since it is you I know it to be a sign of cunning. The creature pays us spirits no heed any longer as we are no longer flesh and can do it no harm. You, however, it would do well to fear. I take it this student of yours is the same you led past me some time ago?

It is. What say you of him Galdern?

He is the spitting image of his father Lady, I can only hope he weilds one tenth the power and sense his Lordship exercised in life.

Xsyle cocked her head at the spirit. Despite her best efforts she really had no idea what Inthas truely looked like. She was half tempted to ask Galdern who Inthas's father was. Obviously it was someone Xsyle would know as well. There had only been three koshugon that Galdern had called 'Lordship' and all three were well known to Xsyle.

But now was not the time. Now was the time for fighting, for striking at her foes. Ah it felt good to know something was going to die at her hands in moments. Lead on Galdern if you please.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure Lady.

Slowly Xsyle padded off in the wake of the spirit, easily able to track him via his chill. Her steps ceased to make noise, her humming dropped to the lowest timbre possible, barely outlining the world she moved through. Like the very shadow of the spirit that moved before her, Xsyle went to face the Eater of Dreams.

Inthas ran, legs pumping, heart pounding so loud he could hear nothing but his own ragged breathing. And still the creature behind him gained. Other Self is too weak! Other Self cannot outrun the beast! Other Self should not run from the
Caelrog! Other Self should fight! He would fight!

"Really? Would you? Fine then, you take over." And just like that Inthas ceded control to the beast. "Just remember how well you did against the female earlier. I did try to warn you."

Pah! Other Self is weak...

"But not foolish. You depend too much upon strength and instinct, I don't. I depend upon training and stratagy...and you'll need that to fight this creature."

The beast was stubborn, refusing to see it Inthas's way. No. Other Self has already admitted He can deal with the Caelrog better. Other Self will sit and watch while He slays his foe!

Inthas couldn't help but laugh when the beast tried to slash into the monster persuing them. An ordinary creature would have been sent reeling and bleeding from the powerful blow. The Caelrog instead swirled around the blow, exactly like striking into a painting made of colored smoke.

IS NOT RIGHT!

"I tried to warn you. Run!" For once the beast took Inthas's advice and turned and began sprinting away. "Not so fast! Don't run in terror...run as if chasing long winded prey. Fleet of foot but sustainable." Inthas felt a thrill of joy as the beast adjusted to his instructions. Behind them the spirit form of the Caelrog let loose a primeval bellow at loosing it's prey. And though it strove it could not match the fleet footed koshugon half of Inthas.

"We cannot let it give up the chase though else the Xsyle will not be able to slay it and we shall be trapped here." The beast grunted assent and slowed, letting the monster behind them nearly catch it by the tail, then it sped up again.

How does Other Self know this? And this Xsyle...the old female?

"Yes the female is Xsyle and I wouldn't call her old if you don't want another 'lesson." Inthas felt the beast wince. "As for how I know this...it's what I do. This is why Xsyle wanted us to become 'One Self'."

It can't happen. Other self and Him are too different.

Inthas thought for a moment. "Not so much different as opposite. You are what I am not, impulsive, decisive, reliant upon instinct and strength. I am thoughtful, restrained, dependant upon my training and lessons to see me through. All these things can be found in most people...I'm sure we could find a way to work ourselves together."

The beast was quiet, slowing again as it thought in it's limited way. It quickly sped up again as the Caelrog nearly caught hold of it. Inthas could feel the way it had relaxed control. Before it wouldn't have even listened too him, nevermind allow him to speak freely. Yet maybe that session with Xsyle had knocked more sense into it than Inthas thought.

Other Self knows about these things more than Him. How would we do this thing?

Inthas tried to remember...what had Xsyle said. He wished she were here now but wishing wouldn't make it so. Then it came to him in a flash. "We must fight, together, as One." Instantly the beast whipped around in mid stride until it was charging back toward the Caelrog. It reached out to embrace Inthas who felt himself sliding into the beast.

It was an odd sensation, like finding a part of yourself long lost and missing. For a moment it was still 'Him' and 'Other Self'...and then it was just Inthas. He instinctively put his head down, presenting a hard skull cap and protecting his eyes, as he rammed through the Caelrog lashing with his tail as he bolted past. This felt right and Inthas knew it was keeping the monster off balance.

Springing off at a quick pace again, Inthas launched himself in the air, landing and scattering the monster's manifestation once again. "Come on you bastard. Try me."

We are here Lady. Shall I guide you in for the strike?

Xsyle chuckled. Now that she was practically on top of the Caelrog she didn't have to exert herself to find it. Galdern was being polite but not even were she missing all her limbs and her will to move would she have another guide her for the telling blow.

No thank you Galdern. You have been most kind but I release you back to your wanderings. And I give you my word that soon shall the Battle Call come and you will be at last free. She could feel his bow.

Then I shall retire Lady and see that the army is ready to march upon your orders. May our talons be wet...

And our flanks be dry. Farewell.

For a moment the chill of the spirit enveloped her as Galdern left then she was alone with the beast. Centering her body on the creatures central point she waited for the last of the energies eddying around it to vanish. The slight exchange between Galdern and herself had gone unnoticed, the Caelrog was used to speech amoung the spirits...no it was not quite fully concentrated upon it's dream prey.

Xsyle could only will Inthas on...

And then the opening came. Hurling both of her hands, the talons on her gloves blurring faster than sight, the metal heating in the friction of air passage, Xsyle plunged toward her target. She let out a screech of joy as she connected, feeling the Caelrog scream silently under her blow.

It detonated like a the explosion of a small sun, thousands of years of hatred, malice, and twisted magic blowing Xsyle backwards. Her training allowed her to twist around and catch herself on the wall, the force driving her hands into the rock itself...
--------------------------------

Inthas suddenly came awake alone in the room. Sweat soaked him and he was exhausted yet jubilant. Slowly he went to stand...and noticed the world around him was funny, he was looking from the wrong prespective. He stared at his hands and was mildly horrified to find they were still his beastial taloned paws. "What! How...what's wrong with me?"

Something had gone wrong...but what?
----------------------------------------

So what's gone wrong with Inthas? Is he permenantly stuck in his Beast form or is this temporary? If it's temporary how might it be fixed?
-----------------------------

Hope you liked.

DukeReg
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be temporary. He should have to get used to being one with the beast before he can change his form at will. Xsyle will help of course.

Completed SGs:
Tempting Fate
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I F5 Duke Reg as always...like I always say, "It is always best to surrender to wiser heads than your own."

Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok let me start at what i think.

It should be willing or unwilling- temporary. It means that- yes he'll have to know how to work with the beast, but still he'll have trouble conrtolling actions, and mainly the beast will give him ideas and mabye something about hell or anything about history or the past.

nightshade Razz g2g... Wink
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll's up.

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally! A New chappy! Enjoy!
-----------------------

Chapter Twenty Three: Powers Unfold

Inthas fought down a rising surge of panic. "Think!" His voice was a deep thundering bass rumble, hissing slightly through his sharp teeth. He paced around the room a bit noticing where it had once seemed large it now seemed small. As he passed one of the metal walls, covered in grime it had accumulated over the years, he noticed his reflection in it's remaining mirror-like surface.

He didn't know the standard size for koshugon but he estimated himself to be on the large side if the size of the room was any indication. It might be a half-breed thing or it might be inherited, he had no way of knowing. He was covered in a thick pelt, like a tigers sans stripes, that was dappled in shades of honey gold, tawny yellow, and buff creme, dark along his spine, fading along underbelly and limbs.

He had a pair of horns on his head, perfectly placed to slash or gut an opponant with a shake of his head. Or to lock up against another male mating...where had that thought come from? A gleam between those horns announced the thick bone plating that reinforced his upper skull. He had fangs, two visible pairs that showed when his mouth was shut, opening his mouth revealed sharp teeth that locked together. If he took a bite of something, and didn't want to let go, that something would be giving up a chunk of flesh to free itself from his grip.

His hands were paw-like, set on the end of strong arms. The fingers were none too flexible, with only rudimentary movement, and the alabaster talons were sharp and slightly curved...like flaying knives almost. His feet were paws, thickly padded and made for silent movement, talons poked out from the tips of the toes and gripped the rock underfoot. Flexing them a bit he watched them retract, then fully extend. The one in the middle was hook shaped and far bigger than the other two...a killing weapon.

His tail was thick, crocodilian almost, made for balance durning runned and movement and delivering bone crushing blows. He had strong shoulders, even if his arms were less mobile than his human arms, with strange interconnected spines rising off them. His haunches were massive, his legs four-jointed and built for massive amounts of speed and power. His body was thin, flat ribs almost inter-locking without gaps. His head was a large wedge shape on a thick neck, eyes massive and huge ears were almost flat against his skull. Along with flaired nostrils it wasn't hard to see why he had better senses.

He stared at his reflection a long time before a single thought snapped him out of it. 'I wonder what Xsyle looks like?' Suddenly he realized Xsyle hadn't returned and felt guilty that he hadn't been looking for her. He almost bellowed her name out...then realized how futile it would be here in these honeycomb passages in the solid rock.

Instead he sniffed for her scent, which wasn't hard to find with it's saturation of taint and old blood, and began to track her through the laybrinth maze of twists and turns. He finally found her in a strange room, maybe once the living room for a family, hanging from a wall. Her arms were entombed in rock to the elbows and her feet were braced against the floor, cheek pressed hard against the stone. She looked like she was resting, gathering her strenght.

The moment he entered the room her head snapped toward him, smile quirking her lips. "It seems you've learned something from all this."

"I think I can safely say I've learned to work with myself...anything I can do to help you?" He expected her to brush him off with a brusque no. Instead she nodded.

"You can use your inner senses and pick up the gem that's laying around over there." She nodded with her head to a blasted patch in the center of the room. Inthas could barely make out a glint of light as something shimmered there. "Then you can put it in your soreal and go outside so I don't hurt you when I pull free of this."

Inthas was shocked to realize he was still wearing his soreal. His other clothing had vanished but the magical gem had actually sprouted tendrils it seemed, weaving them into a loose collar around his neck. He touched it gently before pacing over to where he'd seen the gleam, inner senses open and carefully tuned away from Xsyle. He spotted it quickly enough, a gem like the Grappion stone only pale silver instead of blood red. Scooping it up and depositing it in the soreal, he quickly shuffled out of the room.

He stood there for a few moments, puzzling over the similarities of this new stone and the one he already had, when there was an odd sound. It sounded like rock turned to water and, moments later, Xsyle walked out shaking something off her hands. She turned her face toward him, cloth-bound eyes aiming uncannily at where his own eyes were.

"It's time to leave now. We've done what we came to do. I have unfinished business at the Dark Mage's Tower...you have friends imprisoned there." With that she turned and began to stalk away.

Inthas, for all his longer stride, found himself pressed to keep up with her silent tread. "Xsyle...Your drake friend impressed me last time...but I think I'd be a bit much for him to carry like this. We need to get to the tower...but it's on the other side of the land. We'll never get there in time." Her laughter stung slightly since he couldn't be sure if it was good natured or not.

"Oh ye of little faith. I've grown tired of hiding, truth be told, both from my foes and the...Gods." The last came out wrong, like a rotten scrap of meat or...or a title undeserved. "It's about time I step up again and make things happen."

Inthas blinked at her. "You make things happen?" She stopped so suddenly he nearly trod on her, only her own reflexes kept it from happening. "Xsyle...have you repudated the Gods?" From under his feet a sigh came.

"I only served them to minimize the damage they were doing to Pharl Inthas. Truth is...they're not Gods. They're not even real dragons for what it's worth. They're Akrons, the Star-Serpents that strike at realms that have none to guard them. They come in the guise of Gods, inspiring the people to believe in them and give them yet more power...but the people of Pharl no longer believe in gods."

Inthas stared down at her. "How can you say that? Of course they believe." Her hand patted his leg softly, the talons of the glove whispering of pain against his skin but doing no damage.

"No, Inthas, they don't. They've seen their lands corrupted, their people slaughtered and tormented, their herds die, and their crops fail. They've seen the koshugon, the chosen Race, vanish from this world. Each time they've called upon the Gods. Each time the gods have denied them. Inthas...the power you weild never came from the Lord. It was always within you, your half-blood birthright. The only powers they ever gave you were those that bound you closer to them. Trust me Inthas...I know."

She began moving again and Inthas followed her. "So what will you do now? Overthrow them in a bloody divine coup? That would certainly etch your name in the history books Xsyle...the assassin of Gods. You'd be greater than Shade...greater than Adara even." Xsyle laughed again.

"Inthas...I am Shade." He sucked in a breath as though he'd been punched. He should have known, he realized, but it he'd never really thought about it. Now he felt...he wasn't sure how he felt about it. "By your silence you're shocked. Would it help if I told you I was also the Black Bard? I'm quite the character where history was concerned...but that is what it is...history."

She twisted around a bend in the tunnel before he could ask another question but his mind was still whirling. The Black Bard...Adaria then? That's who Xsyle really was? What a fool she must really think him. He wondered how many of the rumors he'd heard about her were true...he could believe more of them than not although some he know clearly knew to be false.

He finally caught back up to her in a massive stone all. Huge glyphs were inscribed on the smooth polished walls, no two the same, each calling to him in a voice he didn't understand. There was power here and it thrummed along his veins. Xsyle spoke, her voice carrying in the room. "Welcome to the Crossroads. Each of these glyphs was once the gateway to another community of our people. Now there are only ruins at the end of these roads, but two of those ruins lay close to the Dark Mage's Tower."

She slowly pointed. "One is the city of Bakatla, once a great river city and center of trade. Now it sits in the middle of the Deadmire, the corpse of a once great beauty fallen to rot and ruin. It's no more than two days away from the Tower."

Inthas considered the Deadmire, a marsh that was uncharted for the most part. Strong men went in, crippled lunatics came out. He'd seen some of his mentors broken by that lightless place. Yet where they were headed was even worse from the little he knew. Xsyle had lost her eyes in that Tower...that was as good as a death sentance for him.

She then pointed to another. "And this was Ketarika, the forest city. It was from us elves learned how to build their towns in living trees, and Ketarika was the greatest of all the Natural Homes. Now it is ensconced in the blasted remains of the wood around it, a wood crawling with plant and animal abominations. These are recent changes, made while you slept the first time. It had a different name when you were awake but that forest is now called Cravenslade. It's less perilous but farther away..."

Inthas knew little about the forest but plant and animal abominations didn't sound like anything he wanted to run into. She'd also said it was less dangerous but a longer route. Just once couldn't he find speed and safety in the same passage? Still...they might be swifter if less resistance were encountered. But the Dark Mage might expect attack from that direction, if he expected attack at all.

Once again Inthas wondered why Xsyle, or whatever her real name was, was leaving it up to him to choose...
----------------------------

Right, another travel option. I know it seems boring but it's actually a big choice...

DukeReg
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This chapter could do with a proofread, Rai.

Go the less perilous, farther away option. The time gained going the other way could be more than canceled out by the trouble they run into.

Completed SGs:
Tempting Fate
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*grimaces* Sorry Reg, it was late, I was tired...and now I'm just making excuses.

I do see what you mean though, I'll start running a spellcheck on my late night ramblings from now on...

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more suggestions? Last call...

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as Reg was the only one to make a suggestion I'll act on his for the next chappy. It'll be up in a couple of days.

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, new chappy. I was considering cliff-hangering this story but I've got a better plan instead...Enjoy!

Chapter Twenty Four: Cravenslade

"We go to Cravenslade." He felt confidant he could deal with anything in this new form. Not for nothing were the koshugon known as the Guardian race and a half-koshugon must have powers of their own right. Inthas was more than willing to find out what they were and what better to test them upon than creatures that deserved naught but death anyway.

Nodding her head Xsyle struck the glyph a ringing blow and a chime resounded through the room. Slowly the lines of the glyph began to glow, changing and reshaping themselves into something far different, something that made the ElfGate look like a weak hole in the fabric of Pharl. Standing aside she looked up at him again, cloth-bound eyes seeing nothing yet finding his own easily enough. "Now go Inthas."

He started forward only to stop when he realized she wasn't coming with him. "You're not coming?" She shook her head.

"No Inthas. I have another purpose. I must distract the three Akrons so that you might succeed." For a moment there was silence as he looked from the Portal to his companion.

"Are you sure? I..I don't know if I'm strong enough to do this Xsyle. What if I need help?"

She patted his leg again, gentle but firm. "Inthas...there comes a time when every male must leave his mother's care and strike out on his own. He must carve his own territory from the perils that wait him and hold it against all who would take it away from him. The only difference for you is that the whole of Pharl is your territory and great forces wish to take it away from you." She moved away, toward another glyph striking it till it opened.

Turning over her shoulder she smiled. "Fear not Inthas. Every male had those he could call upon in need. If your need is great, call for me and I will come. I ask only one thing of you," he strained his ears to catch her words so softly were they spoken. "Don't slay the Dark Mage. Break him, bind him, cow him into submission, but slay him not...or we shall be enemies." With that she stepped into the light of the glowing glyph and was gone, leaving him with his own journey to make and his own problems to encounter.

Taking a deep breath he stepped through and into the light. Every hair rose off his body and it felt like a viscous liquid was being rubbed along his skin. Then, with a pop, he fell a few feet onto a floor of rotten wood. Losing his balance, he scrabbled for purchase to no avail as the rotten timber gave way benieth him and he plunged through.

He bounced off several protruding ledges of wood, each of which splintered as he hit it, and crashed through several more rotten floors until he impacted hard on the ground. All around him splinters of wood rained down, several hitting him but none broke the skin. He lay there for a few moments, panting and waiting for his strength to return. Every sense he had was screaming for him to get out of this place, the Taint hung thickly.

Worse he could hear the movements of something close. Forcing himself to his feet, he glared around himself and, locating the source of the sound, began to growl softly. He remembered what Xsyle had said about needing to claim his territory and, at that point, instinct took over. Opening his jaws as wide as they'd go he sucked in a massive lungful of air and roared his challenge across the forest. It was time to grow a spine...

In his tower where he was hunched over a workbench, Roven heard something that made his head snap up and a shudder corse through his body. It came again, reverberating through every bone he had, striking against his inner self. "Impossible!" He snarled as his eyes changed. "There cannot be another!" Yet, as a sharp crack in his spine signalled the beginnings of his change, he was proven wrong.

Moments later he stepped out of the shredded remains of his robe, crossing lightly to his window. Sparing a look in the mirror, he snarled. It had been a long time since he'd been in his beast form and he took the time to study himself and assess the changes.

He had lost the extra bulk he'd had in his adolescent years and had slimmed out into a lithe form, his pelt mixtures of near-black, mahogany, and rich red-brown. It swirled in no real pattern save when light might spark the red highlights clear. His long, thick tail lashed in irritation and his massive ears were flat, spreading out from the sides of his head.

His arms were long and slightly bulky, years of training had allowed him to keep near human dexterity in his long thin fingers with their short, sharp, ebony talons. His stride was silent, his neck flexible, his entire bearing one of nobility. The spines on his shoulders flexed a bit as he shivered.

His massive blue eyes snapped sparks as he tore them away from his reflection. Scanning the horizion for the source of the sound, he barely twitched when Myrrila thudded into the room. "You too?" He barely spared her amber-furred form a glance.

"Yes me too. You realize what this means don't you?"

"There's a powerful half-breed out there." She cowered in his shadow despite being slightly larger than he was. "He's issuing a challenge." For a moment they both stood there, waiting and listening. Finally Rovan turned away.

"Interesting. Well we'll see how far it gets him. I'll be interested in seeing the fool willing to challenge the Cravenslade..."
-----------------------------

Inthas stood, waiting. His eyes were narrowed to pin-prick slits, every little movement catching his attention. Slowly, the entire forest began to shudder and shake as something huge moved toward him. Slowly, as trees snapped like matchsticks, a massive form covered in blighted moss and dangling strips of rotten hide moved out into his line of sight.

Twice his size the skeletal beast reared back and roared it's own challenge right back at him. The smell of rot rolled over him, making him almost gag, and corpses could be seen stuck in it's massive tombstone teeth. It's bones were covered in blood both fresh and not, running in a thick ooze that made the ground under it's clawed feet squish. It's huge talons tore open holes in the turf that instantly festered and it's bony tail turned tall trees into rotting stumps as it smashed them flat.

It's empty eye sockets burned with a poisonus green fire that seemed to drip down it's cheeks, a green fire that was echoed by a similar glow in the center of it's boney chest. Were it not for the covering of rotten pelts and plants the thing would be wholly skeletal...and wholly abominable.

For a moment Inthas doubted he could do then. Then shook away his fears and roared back in the thing's face. This surprised the abomination and it sat back to study him for a moment. Finally it opened it's mouth but this time did not roar. This time it spoke in a voice so full of corruption and Taint that it shrilled against the ears. "Why do you challenge me lord's son? Have I displeased my Master?"

Inthas was unprepared for this. What was the beast talking about?And how should he answer?
---------------------------

Well, what will Inthas tell the beast?

Hope you liked.

DukeReg
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"All that matters is that you have been challenged! I have no patience for your questions."

In other words, he is in a bit too much of an impatient animal state to stand around playing 20 questions with an evil abomination. He'd just ignore the confusing questions and stick to what he knows.

Completed SGs:
Tempting Fate
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sighs* Are there no more suggestions? If there isn't another by tomorrow I will act on Reg's suggestion and write the chappy...and I'll have to make it the final chappy at that. It'll probably leave room open for a sequel, most likely since not all the loose plot strings are tied up, but it will effectively end this one.

dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it too late to offer a suggestion Rai? I hope not. I've just managed to find the time to read this.

I disagree with Reg. I do not Inathas should be so bold as to challenge this thing straight off.

Question it first.

Why does it call him, "My lord's son?"

Ask what it is? What's purpose? Find its tale.

Xysle did in the beginning, why not Inathas?

Do not be a fool, I say, ask questions. If you don't like your answers, then fight, but after, not before.

I hope I am not too late.

So what will they do?
Another round of questioning?
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
Differences lead to battle royale?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Uneasy alliance?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3
Who Voted: dragon_fire372, DukeReg

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: