Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Fable/medal idea
Goto page Previous  1, 2

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 339

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gold medal prices have shot as high as 1,000 fables - would you really be willing to spend that much though?

They have? No one told me.

I said somewhere else we would need to get the balance right. Too high and people wouldn't buy any. Too low and people would buy loads and it wouldn't be 'worth' anything.
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there enough incentive to get the authors to part with their fables to pay for these medals?

If they are awarding them to the people who read stories anyway, then why bother spending the fables.

Just a point that may change things...
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Topics: 58

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to give people things. I've had the thought of buying someone a custom title before...let them pick it and then I pay for it. Some of us are more generous than others. Smile
Muaddib
Comrade

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its expensive for some of us though. I have to earn about 200F more to be able to buy my new title.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
Is there enough incentive to get the authors to part with their fables to pay for these medals?

If they are awarding them to the people who read stories anyway, then why bother spending the fables.

Well, I think we won't know unless we try. I know I would. I have already 'provisionally' marked out two authors for medals.

As I initially said, I stole this idea from Writing.com, which has a gazillion types of 'Merit Badge'. People use the Writing.Com 'Gift points' (much like our Fables, but without the personality) to buy other authors these badges.

Hence I thought it may be worth us trying them out. Like I said, they may be something to spend Fables on that everyone can use. I also realise that newcomers won't be able to afford to give out a lot, but that isn't really a bad thing, as it usually takes people a while to get used to the rules.

Like I said, if we put the paid Fables in the thread then we won't use up any sig space. We just put the larger picture in the Honors section.
Ravagerrr

Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:

I completely agree, Smee. That's why the medal for giving out a medal should be included.

Lordy wrote:
Most of us already know who the best posters on the site are - Smee, Fauna, Shady, C'ren, Ravey, Ravay and ect. They know it and I doubt they need a medal to prove it to themselves. Adding them adds a level of comlication that isn't really necessary.
]

Thanks for the compliment Lordy... Still, I agree with you further. This would be largely a way to encourage new members. (ALSO GUILD COMPETITIVENESS)
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we do need more Non-Forum Guilds to be competitive though first.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Ravagerrr

Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China, I can see why u would want to limit the number of awards... that I can agree with. Still, I think for the afore mentioned reason, eliminating the award for giving an award would be a hindrance to the whole award giving process. Furthermore, is it the tallying of the awards at the end of the month and then again at the end of the year that would be too complex for now?
Ravagerrr

Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordofthenight wrote:
Yes, we do need more Non-Forum Guilds to be competitive though first.

Not sure what u mean exactly...
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravagerrr wrote:
China, I can see why u would want to limit the number of awards... that I can agree with. Still, I think for the afore mentioned reason, eliminating the award for giving an award would be a hindrance to the whole award giving process. Furthermore, is it the tallying of the awards at the end of the month and then again at the end of the year that would be too complex for now?

From vast experience* at various projects, both online and in RL, I have found that whenever a new idea comes up, it starts simple and then people say: "and we can do this and that as well" and it soon becomes a massive beast. When it is started the beast is so big and complex it usually falls over and dies at birth.

On the other hand, if you keep it simple to start with, it is easier to get going and you see how it works, making adjustments as you go. Then, after a little while, you add to it and it grows as it goes along.

I think your award for award idea is a good one, but it would double the initial workload at least. I can think of about a dozen more possible awards as well. However, if we keep it real simple at first we can see how it goes and then add to the system as we go along.

I don't disagree with your ideas, to the contrary, I just think we need to be a little patient before implementing them.

*Trust me on this one.
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean Ravay, is that the Forum Guilds - Fantasy, H&E and Sciffy - aren't designed to be competitive, just to encourage reading of their stories.

The non-forum Guilds such as IFlanders and EVIL are there to be competitive, to try and be better than all other guilds. At the moment, there are only two competitive guilds though.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Ravagerrr

Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO BOTH: I see...
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Topics: 17

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment, Lordy. And you're right, I personally don't think those of us who do seem to be the best posters need such materialistic recognition. As long as we know that an author appreciates our suggestions and comments, that is a prize in itself.

Quote:
I think your award for award idea is a good one, but it would double the initial workload at least. I can think of about a dozen more possible awards as well. However, if we keep it real simple at first we can see how it goes and then add to the system as we go along.

It wouldn't hurt to try the idea. I think we have tried many different changes on this site, and some have worked, some have not. Like you said before, don't try to flesh out the whole idea in one go since there is a likihood of it dying out due to complications.

Samadhi Traveler 2005 Nano Wrimo winner (53,019 words)

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
-Confucius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: