Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Murder by Magic. 7. THE MURDERER REVEALED!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking it's time to pull a Nancy Drew and go see if I can't find the count's personal journals, every Wizard I've ever known has them. If something's bugging him in his afterlife, the precursers might just be found in his personal musings...

"Music makes you braver."
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Topics: 17

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, Crymmy. At least there could be concrete evidence.

Samadhi Traveler 2005 Nano Wrimo winner (53,019 words)

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
-Confucius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Topics: 9

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story so far, C-Man. I like.

But definitely talk to Simon and Josh, but seperate. Find out what's going on here.

Abattoir Chapter 2!
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay then.

Speak to Josh and Simon seperately seems to be a given, as well as check the murder scene out.

Hence what I think I will do is do those anyway. Having said that, there will still be "room" in the next chapter for some other activity, so I will put a few other suggestions in, like:

Try and search the Count's room.

Rummage through else's room. (Suggest)

Make a point of speaking to some other not-yet met guest.

Any others?
Lordy
Citizen

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, it seems you want to do a combanation of all of them really. Makes it hard to put up a poll.
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be useful to find out what our Master knows about ghosts as well - I'm assuming he'll have more knowledge than us, and it might give us a clue as to what we're looking for in the Count's rooms.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, as threatened, a poll is up.
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Topics: 18

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted! :biggrin:

*holds breath* Shocked

Thesopholis - A Noir Sci-Fi Story - Chapter 8 is up! Read it here
The End of the Voyage - Chapter 9
Shady the Furry Goblin! [Demon's, Satan and Slobadan Milosevic!] - Chapter 3
The Quest for the Legendary Rubber-Duckie! - Chapter 3
One Last Bullet.... Chapter 3
Green Eyes - Chapter 5
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted for more information on Count and ghosts, and winning.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted.

Went for the talk to other guests not introduced yet. Opens new ground, and may give clues to Sam's murder.

-Confucius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, polls closed, I will start attempting to write the next chapter.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Chapter 3. Questions. Reply with quote

Chapter 3. Questions.

Etrax addresses Heath and the young man in black. “You two, take Simon and Josh to separate rooms, keep them there until I have chance to speak to them. Go now.”

The two nod, and move off in separate directions with their charges, both whom are sobbing. Etrax turns to you and the witch. “Let us examine the poor girl” he says, and you follow him into the room.

“Mmm,” says your master. “Look here. The covers pulled back rather wildly. Seems to be no evidence that of a struggle.”

“She isn’t laying in a sleeping position though” you point out.

“If what young Simon says is true” Etrax muses, “and he found her seemingly asleep at first, to find her condition later, he would naturally have pulled back the covers and cradled her in his hands. What say you Madam Witch?”

The witch is look about the room. “There is a smell of magic around here” she says.

“What is the cause of death?” you ask.

The witch pushes forward before Etrax can respond, holding her hand above the body and muttering Magic cantrips under her breath. “Mmm” she says eventually. “The shield outside limits my power, but I am confident she was killed with some sort of magical ray.”

Etrax rubs his chin. “Death spells needs a lot of power, with the shield draining magic, who would have enough strength for such?”

The witch moves back. “Not me for sure, none of the others either, from what I felt last night.”

“What time did she die?” you ask.

Now it is Etrax’s turn to move over the body. Casting a spell you have seen him use before he concentrates hard, sweat dripping from his brow before he finally concludes. “Phew, I have never had to try that hard to cast a simple divination.” He looked at the witch, “I think you understate you ability Madam Witch.”

Veerch makes a dismissive gesture.

“She died sometime between 1am and 3am,” says Etrax. “I can narrow it down to no further than that.”

“Who was in the hall with you last night?” you say.

“Simon was with us until about 2 in the morning,” he replies, “though he was very drunk and Avanor had to help him to his room, this one. Bridgette left earlier in the night, about half past midnight, maybe a little later. The only other was the Major.”

You glance at the witch, but decide to ask anyway. “Any useful information?”

Etrax sighs. “It was most frustrating. Simon seems to have a dislike of Josh, though I get the feeling that it is because Josh disapproves of his relationship with Sam. However, he didn’t say much whilst Avanor, Josh and Sam’s father present.” He stops suddenly. “Avanor! Someone will have to tell him.”

Veerch speaks. “I will do that.” She moves off immediately, and you are glad you don’t have to perform that particular errand.

“So, motive” you say. “Why would someone kill Sam? Could Simon have done it in a drunken stupor and not remember?”

“Let’s go and find out shall we?”

You both move to the doorway, to find the butler approaching. Etrax explains the situation, and the man promises to stand outside the room and let no one in.

“I don’t suppose we can contact the outside world by any chance?” asks Etrax finally.

The man shakes his head. “Not with the shield up sir. We are completely on our own.”

Etrax motions to you. “Go and speak to Josh, I will see what Simon has to say.”

You nod and head off towards your room, where the butler says Josh is.

You find him sitting on the bed, eyes red and swollen. Harrow, who was in the blue suit last night, is sitting on the bed next to him, his arm around Josh’s shoulders. The young man in black, who’s name you still don’t know is standing up, seemingly deep in thought.

He looks at you as you enter. “And who might you be?” he asks.

“I am here with Etrax Rigel, Investigator. May I ask your name?”

“I am Malcolm, I was a schoolfriend of Rudolphus and a friend of the family.”

“Indeed,” you say. “I would perhaps like a word a little later then, if I may.”

He nods and then looks around. “I will leave you to it,” and leaves the room.

You approach Josh and Harrow, who looks up and then stands infront of Josh protectively. “What do you want? Can’t you see he has had a terrible shock? Can’t you leave him alone for a few minutes?”

“I am afraid I have to ask him a few questions. It won’t take long.”

Harrow looks at you closely, but steps back eventually in a whiff of strong perfume.

“Josh?” You squat down in front of the figure. “I am sorry about your sister. I didn’t really meet her for long, but she seemed a nice girl.”

Josh nods, but doesn’t say anything.

“Who would want to kill her? Have you any idea?”

“It was that brute Simon!” Harrow interjects. “What can you expect from the son of a merchant?”

“Please, Harrow. Let Josh speak” you say.

Harrow pouts, but remains quiet and you speak to Josh again.

“Josh? Would Simon kill Sam?”

Josh remains still for a second, and then shakes his head. “I don’t think so,” he replies in a croaky voice. “Simon may not have been good enough for Sam, but he wouldn’t kill her. At least… no. No.”

“At least what? Is there something?”

“No. Well, maybe. Sam was not so sure about the marriage, she had some doubts, but I think they were just normal doubts. She seemed happy enough with him, though I never understood what she saw in him myself.”

“They were always arguing. Don’t forget that” said Harrow again, able to contain himself no longer.

“Is this true?” you ask them, “about what?”

“Just normal stuff, she said Simon was always busy with the business, but she understood that. I don’t think there was anything that bad.”

“Where were you last night?”

“In my room all night,” he says.

“Alone?”

Josh nods. “Yes, the Major is very particular about us not sharing rooms until we are married.”

“And you wouldn’t… you know?” You prompt.

“No he wouldn’t” says Harrow, sitting by Josh again and putting a hand on his arm protectively. “Why are you asking him? Josh wouldn’t kill his own sister! Leave him alone!”

You sigh. “One more thing then. What were you doing near the room this morning? What happened?”

“It was a coincidence. I was near the room when I heard Simon shouting. I knocked on the door and then opened it when he didn’t answer. I saw him on the bed with Sam’s body…in his…arms. Sam’s…” he breaks down again, weeping.

“See what you have done now?” says Harrow wrapping his arm around Josh again. “Why don’t you just leave him alone. Go on!”

“This is my room,” you say. “Take him back to his.”

Harrow walks Josh out of your room holding his weeping friend up just as Etrax walks in.

“Find out anything?”

“Josh says he was alone last night, but I saw Bridgette slip into his room. I suppose he is scared of the Major, he says they must remain apart until they are married.”

“Mm, well, he is a fierce character that is for sure,” says Etrax. “I think I am inclined to believe Simon. He says he slept on the couch last night and woke to find Sam lying in bed. He went to join her, but when she didn’t move he discovered she was dead. Josh came in and practically attacked him.”

“What now?” you say.

“I am curious about the Count actually. Everyone here is here because of his invitation. I would like to find out more about his story.”

“We could try looking in his study” you suggest.

“Hm. Well, master wizards are not usually so free with their belongings, I wouldn’t want to activate some booby trap and be sent straight to the lower slopes of some level of Hell.” He looks at you. “That is why I have an assistant. His office is up the hall, first right. Large doors. You can’t miss them. Off you go.”

You wonder why you don’t shut your big mouth, but nod anyway and walk out. Up the hallway, you take the first right and don’t have to go far before you encounter a large set of double doors.

Taking a deep breath you push them open, half expecting to be fried by magic. Nothing happens, so you step cautiously into the room.

It is a large study, furnished with expensive carpets, paintings and fine furnishings. There is another door in the opposite wall. To one side is a large desk. You walk around and look it over.

A few magic books are open, their contents way beyond your level of understanding. There are some drawers, and you open those, but find nothing that seems to be of interest.

About to give up, you notice a small leather bound book tucked away in the corner. Picking it up you flick through it. It seems to be a diary of some sort, written in crabbed handwriting and blue ink which is hard to read. The last entry stands out, and is dated a little over three months ago.

As my death looms I grow moribund, yet I have somehow managed to put forth the effort and arrange matters so my time in Limbo should not last for too long. With my affairs in order, I find myself at a loose end. The intrigues are done. My time is past. Now I sit around and drink whisky all day, awaiting the end with a fatalistic mood.
I still feel that some other force is working against me, but my castings have revealed nothing but shadows. Who could it be? A current enemy? I can think of none who would expend the magic to arrange such, I am effectively part of the past now as far as my colleagues are concerned. Unless it is someone who is no longer living of course. Is it Rudolphus? Does he blame me for his death in some way? I cannot believe he would. I regret, now, not investigating the circumstances more as young Malcolm insisted, but the Peelers insisted it was an accident. So if it not my son’s spirit, then who could it be? Unless? But no, she died many years ago. Would I have a second chance I would have done things differently. Giving them away seemed the right move at the time, but who knew she would take it so badly?
I will find out myself soon, assuming the Almighty judges me favorably of course. I have done my fair share and more of dark deeds, yet I have made my peace and on the whole I believe I have made a positive balance to the world. What more can a man ask?

You pocket the book and look around some more, but a noise outside makes you start and you move away quickly. The door opens and the butler looks in.

“You should not be here sir,” he says reprovingly.

“Sorry,” you say and slip past him, back towards the scene of the crime.

You find Etrax outside the room, making notes. He sees you approach and beckons you forth. “Find anything?”

You hand him the diary, which he slips into his pocket. “One more thing,” your employer says. “The witch did some more checking. Seems that Sam was pregnant. About 2 months.”

You raise your eyebrow, but before you can speak shouting interrupts you. Etrax hurries off towards the noise, and you follow.

The door to Josh’s room is open to reveal Simon, Harrow and Josh in a three way shouting match.

“…don’t know what you are talking about! Josh doesn’t care less about you!” Harrow was shouting.

“You! You are Josh’s little lap dog! Always there, undermining me! You better get out of my way little man, before something nasty happens to you!”

“Like it did to Sam? Are you threatening me?” Harrow yells back.

“Step back Simon, get away from me!” Josh says, pushing at him.

“Oh yes! I was never good enough for you was I? Never good enough for your precious family, your darling sister? Well, I know about you too! You are hardly perfect!”

“I don’t know what you are talking about, as usual” Josh retorts.

“Don’t think I don’t know! You are having an affair! You are cheating on Bridgette!”

>>>>>>

Okay, I am tired, so I thought I would stop there. Rather sudden I know, but I was struggling to find a place!

Thoughts and comments about what to do next please. Like I have said before, this is a new genre for me, so any feedback on how I could improve is appreciated!

<<<<<<

Last edited by Chinaren on Thu May 11, 2006 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Topics: 18

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deeper and deeper.... Shocked

Noticed one mistake:

Quote:
I think you understate you ability Madam Witch

Should be 'your'.

I'm not really very good at these things. I suppose he should break up the argument and find out if its true that Josh is having an affair, who with, why, etc. and then he can confront him about lying earlier and tell him he saw Bridgitte going into his room.

*holds breath* Shocked

Thesopholis - A Noir Sci-Fi Story - Chapter 8 is up! Read it here
The End of the Voyage - Chapter 9
Shady the Furry Goblin! [Demon's, Satan and Slobadan Milosevic!] - Chapter 3
The Quest for the Legendary Rubber-Duckie! - Chapter 3
One Last Bullet.... Chapter 3
Green Eyes - Chapter 5
jnmrcs
Builder

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice !

I think they should wait until all of the conversation ends. Then you will have more information to confront them.
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“Hm. Well, master wizards are not usually so free with their belongings, I wouldn’t want to activate some booby trap and be sent straight to the lower slopes of some level of Hell.” He looks at you. “That is why I have an assistant. His office is up the hall, first right. Large doors. You can’t miss them. Off you go.”

Great paragraph.

Hmm, being a dectective he should probably listen in without being seen by anyone, and find out as much as he can. Then go in and break up the argument before it reaches critical levels.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Ravagerrr

Items

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He he... its amusing how the author might believe he hasn't left off at a DP only to find out that his readers do indeed see a DP at this point! Yes... break up the fight and demand to get to know what is happening. Someone needs to take charge here and organize a meeting to get all pertinent information out of everyone all at once, a hearing if you will.

Ok, here's my idea for how u can fix this story... it IS very confusing.

U need a synopsis at the beginning of the first thread.

The first part of the synopsis briefly explains the plot and the mystery to be solved.

The second part should detail the characters. Get some pics for them and post 'em with a quick bio and description of when they were introduced. They are the 'suspect list'.

Third, we should be able to see a map of the 'known' parts of the mansion, if possible, with all events so far shown on the map. This visual aid will bring us into the story and give us an idea of where our curiosities might wish to take us for investigations.

As I suggested to Rave for her mystery 'Glassbreaker', u should wrap up each chapter with a synopsis of the clues that have been given. Also a good idea would be to maintain all of the 'clues' as a whole for the last section of the Synopsis.

Sometimes if you, as a part of the Synopsis, boil everything into a quick description of events, it can clear up confusion left by the drawl of description. The descriptions are good but they can clutter the underlying message of the situation and fog the plot.

The story is good, it just needs some aids to go with it to help us sort out the myriad details of the case.(not diseases btw).
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice chapter, China. I like.

Ok, if that wasn't enough bombshells dropped in one sitting, I don't know what is.

Alright, if he's any sort of professional about it, I think I have to F5 the above comment by Lordy on the whole just kind of eavesdrop on the arguement for a while. Be careful when you break it up eventually, though. You definitely don't want anyone to think you're taking sides.

Abattoir Chapter 2!
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Very intriguing, China. I agree with Rav, you may want to keep track of who's who in this story.

As for what to do. May as well wait for the conversation to end. A lot of information could be easily dropped.

Quote:
Josh nods. “Yes, the Major is very particular about us not sharing rooms until we are married.”

This line threw me off as I was reading the chapter. It's Simon that was to marry Sam, right? So why would Josh be saying that line?

-Confucius
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments all.

Quote:
U need a synopsis at the beginning of the first thread.

The first part of the synopsis briefly explains the plot and the mystery to be solved.

Will do.

Quote:
The second part should detail the characters. Get some pics for them and post 'em with a quick bio and description of when they were introduced. They are the 'suspect list'.

I was looking for some pics before I put up the Character list, but I will do that later and just put up the descriptions first.

Quote:
Third, we should be able to see a map of the 'known' parts of the mansion, if possible, with all events so far shown on the map. This visual aid will bring us into the story and give us an idea of where our curiosities might wish to take us for investigations.

Oh, a map. Never thought of that. I will get to work on it.

Quote:
As I suggested to Rave for her mystery 'Glassbreaker', u should wrap up each chapter with a synopsis of the clues that have been given. Also a good idea would be to maintain all of the 'clues' as a whole for the last section of the Synopsis.

The clues. Mmm. I am not sure about this. There are some clues I was hoping would be a little less 'obvious', and putting them in a list would kinda negate the point a little bit.

Tell you what. I will put up clues as people point them out. How's that?

I will get to work on the synopsis now. I will put it in the first post of this story, so please check that out. Soon.

[EDIT]
Sorry, been really busy today. I will try and do this tonight, but if not it may be Monday.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, phew. I have put a synopsis and an initial character list at the start of this thread.

Let me know if you see any anomolies, it is quite hard keeping track of everything!
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good chapter Chinny - and the synopsis and character list are great. Very Happy

I F5 the idea of waiting until the argument fizzles - no knowing what else might be blurted out in the heat of the moment.

I look forward to the second part.

Happy Writing Very Happy
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sign buzzes - it's scary. In a weird freaky kind of way.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinaren wrote:

Let me know if you see any anomolies, it is quite hard keeping track of everything!

No kidding. For Glassbreaker I have to keep a notebook of all the facts I have introduced. It's no wonder mysteries are one of the harder genres to write. All the info that has to be organized. Very Happy

-Confucius
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems most comments are to wait and listen, maybe step in if it gets heated.

So, in that case, what other characters would you like to concentrate on, or what other actions to do next?

Anything specific that you feel a burning urge to follow?
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking we need to find more information about guests. We don't know much about all of them, so maybe if they all met in one place and discussed who they are, a common theme or something could be found.

My two pennies.
Very Happy

-Confucius
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenwing wrote:

Quote:

This line threw me off as I was reading the chapter. It's Simon that was to marry Sam, right? So why would Josh be saying that line?

He was saying that about Bridgette, his fiance.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Chapter 4. History. Reply with quote

Chapter 4. History.

“Cheating? Me? What a lie!” Josh goes pale and staggers backwards as if he had been struck.

“Retract that statement you cad!” shouts Harrow.

“What’s this have to do with you Harrow? Mind your own affairs boy,” Simon sneers back, looking down his nose scornfully at the other young man.

Harrow turns red and launches himself at Simon, hands going for the other boys’ neck.

“What is going on here?” Etrax barges past you and strides over to the two, dragging them apart by their collars.

“He attacked me! He is deranged!” gasps Simon, pointing at Harrow.

“He was slandering my friend, I couldn’t stand by and let that happen.” Harrow pulls free from Etrax’s grasp but doesn’t seem inclined to continue the fight, so Etrax leaves him be, turning to Simon instead.

“I think you should rest for a while young man. I have arranged another room for you. Let me show you the way.” He turns to Harrow and Josh. “The same advice goes to the both of you. A bit of dignified reflection is called for.”

The other boys nod, and Etrax ushers you and Simon out of the door, a friendly hand upon Simon’s back.

You walk up the corridor in silence for a short while, around a corner and to another, smaller, room. Etrax opens the door and Simon walks in and stands by the bed, looking uncertain and lost.

“I am sorry to question you just now,” says Etrax, “but what did you mean when you said Josh was having an affair? With whom, and how do you know?”

Simon looks at the two of you with a sour expression on his face. “I was told in confidence. I am sorry I mentioned it now. Please don’t ask me more, I am embarrassed enough to have sunk to slander and gossip.”

Etrax nods slowly and is quiet for a moment, looking the young man over. After a minute he sighs. “One more thing Simon, I don’t really wish to break this to you really, but better to hear it from me than someone else by accident. Did you know that Sam was pregnant?”

“What? Oh my god!” Simon sinks down upon the bed. “How… how long?”

“About 2 months.”

“Two months? Two months? Are you sure?” The boy has turned snow white.

“Quite sure. Is everything okay?” Yu say, which earns you a Look from Etrax. “Sorry, sorry, what am I saying?”

Your employer pulls at your arm, nodding to the door. You take the hint and leave, Etrax stays a few moments more and then follows you out of the room.

“Will he be okay?” you ask.

Etrax nods. “I will get Veerch to check in on him, maybe give him something.”

You stroll back down the hallway, towards the room where Sam was killed. As you approach the butler walks up to you. “Sir. Whilst I don’t appreciate your rummaging around in the Count’s private study, I can understand your desire to know more. I have something for you, a photo of the Count. Before he died he removed nearly all his documents to some secure place. Only this photo was left behind. I feel he would not have left it by accident.”

He passes an old photo to you. The picture shows a stern man, the Count you realize, though he is somewhat younger that the portrait in the dining room. He is with a younger woman who is holding two babies. You flip the photo over, but all that is written is a date, 1900. Some twenty years ago.

“Who is the woman?” you ask, but the butler just smiles. “I am happy to pass this over to you, but I will not be accused of idle gossip. Good day to you both. Lunch will be served at noon exactly.” He bows and walks off.

You show the photo to Etrax. “What do you think?”

“Interesting. The count only had one son yes? Who are these two then? And who is the woman?” He hands the photo back to you. “Ask around as you go. Someone may know something. In the meantime, I want you to speak to Malcolm, find out more about Rudolphus. I will go and consult with Veerch again.” He seems to shake for a moment. “A formidable woman that witch.” Etrax turns and strides off.

You look at the back of your employer for a moment and then shrug. Realizing you didn’t eat anything this morning, you check the time. Nearly ten o’clock, too late for breakfast. You sigh and wander towards the dining room anyway. Maybe there is something left over.

The large room is nearly empty, but Malcolm and the young woman identified as Alice are sitting at the table, eating boiled eggs.

“May I join you?” you say.

“Take a seat” gestures Malcolm. “This is Alice, a friend of mine.”

“Delighted I am sure” Alice says.

“A pleasure to meet you. You are here with your father are you not?”

“Yes. He is upstairs reading.” Alice returns to peeling her egg.

“Would you like one?” asks Malcolm, pushing a bowl over to you.

You nod your head in gratitude and pick one out, blowing your fingers as the egg is still hot.

“You mentioned that you don’t think Ruldophus’s death was an accident?” you ask, after a few moments picking away at the shell.

“You are not still on about that are you Malc?” asks Alice. She turns to you. “Everyone else says it was an accident, only Malcolm doesn’t agree.”

“The potions were not right” Malcolm says stubbornly. “I was there when he took them from the stores, the Hedrax mix was purple, it should have been red.”

“Hedrax can look purple if it isn’t a strong mixture,” Alice replies. “I am a potions major” she explains to you. “You will just have to accept it, Ruldolphus made a mistake. A tragic mistake. Put it behind you Malcolm.” She rolls her eyes at you as she finishes her egg. “Now, if you two boys will excuse me, I must check on my father.” She stands up and strolls off.

“I know what I saw” says Malcolm as she left the room. “Hedrax could look a little purple I know, but only a little. This was deep purple.”

“Why didn’t you say something at the time?”

“I didn’t know then. I only found out later. I would have said something if I had known of course.”

“Mmm. I don’t suppose you recognize the people in this picture do you?” You shove the photo towards Malcolm who looks it over.

“That’s Count Cronos isn’t it? I don’t know the others.” He flips it over. “Mind you, I was barely born then, I wouldn’t know them I guess.” He hands it back to you.

“Do you know anything of Simon and Sam’s relationship? Were they close? I mean, I know they were to be married, but did you know of any problems?”

“I don’t know them very well, but I do know that Simon is… was very much in love with her. He was most upset when he had to go abroad a couple months ago on business with his father. He was away for three or four weeks, and Sam didn’t go with him.”

“A couple of months ago you say? Interesting.”

“Who would kill Sam? She was a lovely girl from what I know of her. I wasn’t close but…”

“She was pretty though, it could be jealousy.” You shrug. “I am sure my master will figure it out.” You stand up. “Thank you for the egg. I will not eat more just now, lunch is not too far off.”

Malcolm nods and watches you as you take your leave. You head back upstairs, trying to find Etrax, but he is nowhere to be seen. You walk past a room with the door ajar. Glancing in you see Harrow by the fireplace. He is dropping a piece of paper into the flames. You stop and knock. Harrow jumps violently and swings around, a guilty look on his face.

“Hello? Can I help you?” he says, trying to recover his composure.

“Just wanted to make sure you were okay. After this morning I mean.”

“I will be fine, thank-you for asking. It is Josh you should be worried about.”

You nod, and feeling Harrow doesn’t want you there, you back out of the room and return to your own suite, where you lie on your bed for an hour, mulling the morning’s events over.

About eleven you decide to walk about again. You step out of your room and walk up the corridor, almost bumping into Josh coming the other way. The boy looks flustered and red in the face.

“Are you okay Josh? You should be resting.”

“I will be fine,” Josh pushes past you.

You shrug and continue up the hallway, past Harrow’s door, which is now closed. You consider trying to speak to him again, you didn’t show him the photo before, but decide against it. There will be plenty of time to question him later. You walk a little further, then downstairs and through some more dusty hallways until you come to the gardens.

You stroll around the grounds for a little while, admiring the displays. The gardener nods in appreciation when you mention how nice everything looks.

Eventually you decide to head back to the hall for lunch and you find most others already gathered there, only Josh is missing, and he walks into the hall a minute after you, face still pale. Bridgette moves across to him and gives him a hug.

Etrax sees you and beckons you to join him at the table. “Anything?” he asks as you sit down.

“Nothing conclusive.” You relate your mornings investigations.

Etrax nods and strokes his chin. “I have been speaking to Veerch. I was curious as to how such a powerful spell could have been used to kill Sam with the shield in place. The witch says that it would take a powerful magician, or…”

“or…?” you ask.

A distant scream echoes about the hall before Etrax can answer. You look up, as does everyone else.

“Upstairs!” shouts Malcolm.

You rush upstairs, along with Etrax and several others, to find a maid outside of what you recognize as Harrow’s room, screaming and pointing.

You reach the door first and look inside. There, sprawled on the floor is Harrow. Blood has soaked the front of his clothes, spread out in a red circle from the knife embedded in his chest.

>>>>>>

Ahh! Murder, again!! Harrow, Josh’s staunch ally is lying in his room, stabbed through the heart. Who could have done such a dastardly deed? What should the detective, and his trusty companion of course, concentrate on next?

Sorry for not putting up a poll for the last chapter, I didn’t feel there were enough different suggestions to warrant it. I did follow the one most said though. I will try not to do that again, but this whudunnit sort of thing is quite hard to do a good decision point. At least for me it seems.

Anyway, suggestions please!

<<<<<<

Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa... Cool. First to read. Hmmm...

Ok. I think he obviously needs to ask the maid what she was doing, what she saw, the usual.

This one was not killed with magic, completely different modus operandi, so I suspect a different killer, probably Simon, as he would be incapable of most spellcasting.

Talk to Josh first. Find out what was up with Harrow. Try and find out if he'd been purposely baiting anyone other than Simon, as he seemed a troublemaker. Look around for signs of what he was burning too. And for sure, talk to Simon and make sure he's got some kind of iron clad alibi, because right now, he's right at the top of the list on this one.

Abattoir Chapter 2!
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing else to add...
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could well have been magic - I mean, how much power could it require to make a dagger move? Or the weapon could have been materialised past the shield. Just because it looks mundane you shouldn't assume it is.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that will be a waste of magic... don't you think that?
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends how magic works in this place - there may be no mana as such. Or it could well be easier to assassinate someone using magic to control the dagger than to actually stick it in them.

If they materialise a dagger, then there's no chance of fingerprints. Plus no chance of it being traced back to them - and with a pair of detectives around, that could well be on a persons mind.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the detectives have there the equipment to find fingerprints? I don't think so. But in that part you are right, no finger print. The problem here is the magic shield. You have to use so much magic for that, that I thought it would be a waste of magic. But maybe I'm wrong.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shield acts as a 'restraint' for spells. Hence any spell cast needs more energy and concentration, thus making anything other than fairly small spells too hard for most 'normal' users.

However, I am sure Etrax could manage a fingerprint spell. Very Happy
Lordy
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is there some form of mana here - as in would there be any point using magic where mana could do?
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lordy wrote:
But is there some form of mana here - as in would there be any point using magic where mana could do?

Er, mana is used to power spells. Some people can handle larger amounts of mana than others and cast more powerful spells. Most people can only handle a small amount, but some can handle more, much more. These people are the Master Wizards.

The shield, as I said above, makes each spell require more mana than usualto cast, hence the spells are harder to cast, but still possible if you can handle the manaload.

There, not bad considering I just made that up.
Lordy
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I still think it would be foolish just to assume that magic wasn't involved in the murder, though it probably was solely mundane means.
Araex

Items

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obvious suspicion - Josh killed Harrow. Though they were friends, he overheard that Sam was pregnant, and the child was concieved when Simon was away. Had anything ever been noticed between Harrow and Sam?

It's probably all wrong though.
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really like the drecrease the numbers here don't you, C'ren? LOL.

Hmm. Araex make a good point about Sam. She's two months pregnant when she is murdered. But her husband is gone on business those few months...Suspicion certainly lies on Harrow, who seemed to may have had a crush on her. And the avenging brother would of course kill for his sister.

Check for fingerprints on the knife. And then Yu should question everyone's whereabouts before then. Harrow was probably killed between 10 and a little after 11 am. At around 10 am Yu sees him looking guilty while standing next to fireplace. So that would leave an hour window for the murderer to do his dirty deed. Josh seems to be a likely candidate with his odd behavior, I would question him first.

-Confucius
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll is finally up then. All the suggestions/options can be done, but the one to vote for is the one I will concentrate on.

Happy voting.
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: