Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Dear Dotty: The Column

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> Dear Dotty.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

The Powers That Be
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dotty,

I was born a Cripple with a twisted arm. My parents, Leader-fearing law-abiding citizens, sent me away when I was three, knowing that my deformity was a sign that God does not love me.

Here at the Cripple-Home we are taught that we are worthless, stupid and if it were not for our merciful Leader we would have been killed at birth, as was done in the past. Recently, however, I have begun to doubt this. I know that I am smarter than most of the staff here, and I know that I could do so much for Our Leader, despite being a cripple.

I learned the art of writing in secret just so I could send you this letter. Dotty, I only want to become a productive member of our society and I feel sure that I am capable of this. Please help me.

Crippled in Croyden

Dear Crippled,

In my line of work, I read so many heart-breaking stories from sad and desperate people that I constantly fear that I will grow hardened and incapable of emotional response. Your letter, though, moved me to tears and I could not help but answer. I know that all right-thinking citizens will be as shocked as I was to hear of your appalling experiences.

First, let me be very clear and assure you that you are not worthless, and God does love you as He loves all of Our Leader’s children. I cannot believe anyone has told you otherwise, and you can be sure that I will be forwarding your heart-wrenching and eloquent letter to the authorities in Croyden to investigate. You and your kind are a gift that has been given to our great society, a gift that proves God’s dedication to our noble battle against the heathen. I feel shame that you have not been properly educated about your essential role.

I know it is difficult to understand, but it is right and proper that you live in the Cripple-Home, apart from the rest of society. As it is written in the Good Book, “the Lord said, ‘no man with a crippled foot or hand…may come near.’” (Leviticus 21:17-19) Some misguided people have taken this passage to mean that society must be protected from the cripples, but Our Leader teaches us that the truth is quite the opposite. You are far too precious to be exposed to the diseases that run rampant in our society. Your body (the parts of you that aren’t crippled, anyway) must remain a paragon of health. When the time comes and you are taken to the battlefields, the noble surgeons of Our Leader’s Throng must not hesitate to put every normal part of you into the body of a soldier who desperately needs it.

God loves you, Crippled, and Our Leader needs you. Your deformity is a sign only that you were not meant to serve as a single, complete person. Through your many many healthy parts, however, you will be a more productive member of society than most. I hope this helps set your mind at ease. I sincerely thank you for your brave and touching letter.

Dotty

Dotty is the country’s most popular advice columnist. She has helped hundreds of people like you. To write your letter to Dotty, simply post it here. Dotty reads every letter, but due to the volume of mail she receives, she cannot respond to every one. Letters may be edited for style or length.

The Powers That Be
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Editor:

We hope you enjoyed Dotty's latest column. Feel free to post any comments on this column or on any Dotty-related topic at the link below. Dotty thanks you for your support.

Post a comment!

Write a letter to Dotty!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Dear Dotty. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: