Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Eld Journeys- Chapter Seven: The End
Goto page 1, 2  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Eld Journeys- Chapter Seven: The End Reply with quote

Well since humor is the only genre that seems to work for me here's an idea that's been brewing for quite some time. Enjoy.
--------------------

One: Who Are All These People...

Through the green twilight of an undisturbed ancient forest an echo reverberated against the massive tree trunks. The echo suddenly became the staccato beat of horse hooves as twin smears of light and darkness sliced through the tranquil world like two bullets through kevlar.

One was obviously a unicorn, glowing white with a pearly horn that emitted a rainbow halo. His cloven hooves danced over the moss carpet, avoiding all manner of traps and pit falls created by roots and long lost branches. He rolled his sapphire eyes and switched his lion-like tail in an irritated manner. "If you don't stop bouncing I'm going to shove all eighteen inches of my horn up your..."

"Hey watch your language unicorn! Some of us don't care for that kind of tone." The unicorn turned a disgusted eye on the speaker, a drow who was clinging to the back of the surging equine next to him. The drow returned the gaze levelly, his white eyes mildly disapproving. "Humph, some creatures of light have no manners."

The unicorn turned his head to retort when a fragile voice piped up from his back. "Oh please stop fighting! I'm sorry, really I am! It's just that questing to save the world makes me nervous and when I'm nervous I have to go more often." The unicorn whipped his head around to stare at the elf maiden on his back.

At the moment she was clinging to him with her long delicate fingers, trying desperately to cross her legs at the same time, not easy to do while riding a bounding unicorn at speeds well over that any normal horse could maintain. The unicorn blinked at her twice before an acidic voice broke into his thoughts.

"Watch your path not the incontent elf!" The unicorn whipped his head around, narrowly missing a low hanging branch, and stumbled a bit before recovering his stride. The dark beast running next to him slowed a bit so that it's eyes were level with those of the elf maid. "You were warned before we left that we weren't going to be making rest stops. I suggest you hold it."

The elf opened her mouth to argue but noticed a glimmer of fire deep inside the beasts copper eyes. "I'll try." After all now was neither the time nor place to argue with the nightmare. With a curt nod the muscular nightmare extended her stride, effortlessly drawing abreast of the unicorn again.

You see these four had been chosen, brought together by chance, fate, destiny, and luck, to save the world. So why were they running at breakneck speeds through a tranquil forest with no danger in sight if not to find a bathroom? Couldn't tell you really. They'd set off at dawn like a pack of nukahounds were slavering at their heels and hadn't slowed yet.

The unicorn was beginning to show signs of strain. Lacey sweat was frosting his coat and his mouth came open from time to time to gasp for breath. Next to him the nightmare seemed to be in better condition save that smoke curled from her nostrils and every so often a random jet of steam would scald the unicorn's side, although that could have just been a nightmaric joke.

The drow seemed carved from stone, his only care in the world that he did not slide from the back of the nightmare even though it was a losing battle. It was like trying to hold onto hot oil, you were constantly slipping and being scalded to boot. Still it was better than riding the bouncing unicorn that sprang along like some deformed deer.

The elf's eyes were watering by now and she was biting her lip. The unicorn was being spiteful she concluded, hitting every bump with the sole intended purpose of causing an accident. Finally she could take no more. "Pull over."

"Say what?"

"My back teeth are floating, pull over please...or else." The unicorn swung to a stop next to a handy clump of bushes.

"Would m'lady like a rag?" She shot him a grateful look, blithely ignorant of the fact that the unicorn had only stopped because he didn't want to bare the humiliation of the nightmare pointing out that his coat now looked like 'yellow snow' instead of it's usual pristine white.

A little ways ahead the nightmare came to a dead stop, bowing her head so that the drow shot off her back like a greased arrow. "If you haven't noticed the goat with one horn and Lady Pees-a-lot have stopped a few paces back. I felt like taking a break myself. If you have a problem with this I suggest you deal with it since I don't care about your needs in the slightest."

The drow groaned and rubbed his head. When they finally camped for the night he knew he'd have a nice new set of pink bruises to admire. Glaring at the nightmare's rump, even though he knew it'd do no good, he dusted himself off, checking the sundial on his wrist even though it did no good in the forest's eternal twilight. Standing there hands on hips tapping his foot he waited for this moment to pass and for them to get back on the trail.
----------------

That night, as they made camp a little ways away from the clump of bushes, the drow sat with his heads in his hands. They'd lost an entire day. He felt a sharp point in his back and heard the unicorn clear his throat. "Scrape my coat clean if you will. And braid my mane before bed so that it's nice an wavy when I wake up tomorrow."

"Have the elf do it. I'm getting a headache." The pressure point intensified and the unicorn pawed the dirt behind him.

"The elf is busy thanking the bushes for their timely intervention with another visit and the nightmare has vanished...besides she lacks thumbs. That leaves you." With a sigh and the reasoning that he didn't want to add skewering from a unicorn to his growing list of injuries.

He was halfway through braiding the unicorn's mane when a snicker behind him confirmed that the nightmare had returned. "Well I didn't know you had it in you. Braiding unicorn hair, must list that on your resume."

"There's a lot about me you don't know nightmare."

"I know you're a virgin and just for the record I normally don't travel with unicorns, elves, and pansies."

"I normally don't travel with nightmares."

"Shows." For a moment the unicorn watched as the drow and the nightmare stared each other down, then he stepped hard on the drow's foot.

"Less talkie more workie. I'm more important than some restless footed nightmare. Where were you by the way?"

"Yes where?" The elf had arrived sometime during the conversation and now stood, shivering slightly since she refused to let them build a fire. The nightmare snorted a jet of flame, irritation clear in her whole posture.

"Who are you? My dam? Fine I was hungry, needed some food." The unicorn gazed at her archly with a derisive snort.

"Plenty of good grazing here. Tender green grass and leaves." The nightmare gave a lopsided grin clearly showing long fangs from which sulfurous saliva dripped.

"Sorry grass just won't float my boat. However, hunting isn't all it's cracked up to be in this forest. Game seems to be a little sparse barely enough to take the edge off. The elf has bladder issues when nervous, I've got temper issues when hungry. Fair warning, keep your distance."

"Are you trying to tell us you've been so..." the drow struggled to find a suitable non offensive word and gave up. "Because you're hungry?"

"No I'm generally that way but I'm not the only rude one in this group. You haven't even had the decency to tell me you name." For a moment there was silence as the four of them realized they knew next to nothing about each other...not good if these are your companions in a world saving endeavor.

The elf smiled sheepishly, brushing golden tresses out of green eyes. "I'm Penilessia, Penny for short, Sevari. I'm an archer, here by the request of the Goddess Cahomie."

The drow nodded, white eyes gleaming from his black skinned face. "I am Gault N'Cobet, theif, sell-sword, and former member of the Night Court. I represent the God Ometh in this venture."

Striking a grand pose that made him look like something of legend, the unicorn tapped horn with hoof, filling the space around them with a bell like note. "I am the great Photasmos, light-stallion of the Star Herd. By Namonia Sunhoof's grace I aid you." He paused waiting for the reverent awe that never came before de-posing. For a moment the nightmare just stood there before sighing.

"Feyrvex. Don't thank the Gods for me, I'm not doing this because I want to but because if I don't the Night Steed would use my hide for a stall cover." She didn't show flame, fang, or any other weapon, in fact she belched rather loudly to end the statement before wandering off into the night. "I'll take first watch."

"Why?" Penny called. "This is an elf wood. Nothing bad's going to happen..." But even as she said the words a cold fear ran down her spine. Creatures of evil were approaching, things too horrible to mention.

---------------------
What are these horrible creatures?
------------------

Hope you liked, and it's vauge for a reason, be paitent.

"Music makes you braver."

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:19 am; edited 11 times in total
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 339

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, glad you put that disclaimer in at the end, I was about to ask questions. I look forward to the why's and wherefores..

Horrible creatures eh? That's a tough one. Mutating slime monsters of some kind perhaps? Mmmm, I will have to think on this.'

Interesting start Rai, interesting start...

Very Happy

P.S Hungry. No 'e'
Ryuzhin

Items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was quite good to. Quite humorous too. I wait on hands and knees for Two.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked Ryu but unless you give me ideas there won't be a two...

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centipedes maybe? Lots of little wriggly wormy bugs. Flesh eating of course.
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's...it's...too horrible to name. Sorry Rai, but I can't bring myself to write bunnies down on a civilised site like thi....

Oh. Wait. I just did. Bunnies it is then.

One point however - drow (if you're using drow, not dark elves) have red eyes. So they can see in the dark.

Unless they're Drizzt, in which case they're special.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Lordy I know they usually have red eyes but Gault is special...you'll see.

And bunnies? Anything special or are you just sending the nightmare a tasty snack?

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - just bunnies. The world's scariest creature they are.

Of course, that may just be me, so feel free to use the Monty Python bunny if you feel.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll is up.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tie breaker anyone?

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still need a tie breaker...the last one made a three way tie. Wink

DELETED

Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the votes folks, now I can write the second chapter...Enjoy.
------------------------

Two: Why are They Staring at Me?

The dark closed in around him making him feel claustrophobic. Sounds too unfamiliar rustled against his sensitive ears. Needless to say that Photasmos was ready to call it quilts and head back to his nice quiet pond by the nymph grove when it happened. The first pair of red eyes popped up and started to hop towards him.

"Right. Back off you...you..." He held his horn higher, casting brilliant illumination into the darkness of the suddenly sinister elfwood. The light fell on the creature, or now creatures, that were hopping forward with methodical speed. "Right...RUN!" Photasmos took off, showing the creatures the speed which a frightened unicorn could muster, tearing loose all the braids in his mane and tail loose.
---------------------

Back at camp Feyrvex had been dozing until the unicorn's terrified shouts had woken her from a sound sleep. Snorting pure flame she trotted to the edge of the clearing and had to hit the grass as the unicorn bounded right over her in sheer terror. Turning quickly her neck snaked out, catching his tail between her teeth. He hit the ground with a whoomp that knocked the air out of him. "Sit." Fyervex hissed between teeth and tail.

The other two had been roused by the noise and now Penny and Gault stood looking at the two in consternation. "What's going on here? Fyervex, spit that out." The nightmare was only too happy to comply, wiping her mouth on her foreleg. "Anyone care to explain."

She tossed her mane. "No clue. Pretty boy came dashing back here looking for the nearest bed to hide under and hasn't said a sensible word to me since he took over the watch." The unicorn was quivering near the ashes of the fire, tears running down his muzzle. "Oh quit being a coward. What could be that bad."

"Yes." Said Penny. "This is an elfwood." But she didn't sound very sure of herself and soon enough excused herself to go and visit the bush once again. Gault knelt down next to the unicorn, speaking in soft tones that made Fyervex feel sick to her hooves. Trotting out into the trees a little way she sniffed the air.

At first she didn't smell anything funny, then she turned her head and got a good whiff. Had she been any less a nightmare she might have acted just like the unicorn. Instead she simply turned around and trotted back to camp, her flames a little dim. Gault had managed to get Photasmos back on his feet and Penny was back looking much relieved. "We have a problem."

The others turned to look at her. "We've got a small army of B.U.N.N.I.E.S. coming our way and they're rapidly multiplying." The unicorn fainted. Gault looked mildly peeved.

"I just spent five minutes getting him on his feet and there you go making him faint. Couldn't you have doctored the truth a little and kept him aware?" Fyervex snorted.

"I'd say I'm sorry but I'm not." Penny splashed water on the unicorn, who spluttered a bit and struggled to his feet.

"Oh my mane and tail will be horribly snarled in the morning."

"If we live that long." Gault glared at Fyervex who didn't seem to care one bit. Penny, who'd been struggling to follow the conversation, now jumped in.

"Excuse me...Fyervex...but did you say Bunnies had terrified Photasmos?" Both Gault and Fyervex looked at Penny like she'd lost her mind.

"Not Bunnies you idiot elf! B.U.N.N.I.E.S. Breeding-Undead-Numerous-Nemeses-In-Easter-Suits. Small undead creatures that breed like rabbits and have a fondness for soiling childhood myths. They're horrible and just one touch from them will turn you into a creature made entirely of chocolate."

"Oh, I wouldn't mind being chocolate." Penny said missing the point entirely. Gault and Fyervex shared a glance.

"Feel free to liberally apply hand to forehead and chant the word 'Stupid' repeatedly. I'd be doing that but I lack hands." Photasmos neighed shrilly and stood on tippy hooves.

"Oh Gods! We're surrounded!" Turning around the other three found they were indeed surrounded by the horribly cute undead menace. Each one of the creatures was holding two brightly colored eggs in their forepaws and grinning to show a mouth full of pointed fangs. "They look hungry. It's a good thing they only eat chocolate and carrot cake."

"What about 'their touch turns creatures to rotten chocolate' do you not understand?" Catching the drift of the nightmares words the unicorn promptly fainted again. "Well he's going to be a real help...and we actually need his purifying light. If he could scribe a circle in the turf with his horn that might buy us some time." The nightmare turned and trotted toward the biggest, ugliest, of the creatures. All the eyes turned onto her.

"Why are you staring at me huh? We're on the same side...evil." They all looked around. "Yeah see, evil." She reared up, displaying her sharp hooves, long poisonous fangs, and her searing flames. The bunnies seemed to confer a moment before turning their focus onto the rest of the group, bypassing the nightmare entirely.

Watching as the circle tightened around the others she chuckled. "Suckers." It was unclear whether she meant her companions or the B.U.N.N.I.E.S.
--------------------

The others had finally managed to wake the unicorn up and, after convincing him it would save his own life, scribe the circle in the turf. The B.U.N.N.I.E.S. came to a halt on the edge of the turf, staring at it like a little kid stares at the asparagus on his plate. It was obvious they could not, or would not, cross the line. However it was also obvious that the little group couldn't leave. If they couldn't leave the circle then they couldn't save the world.

What were they going to do?
-----------------------------------

Right hope you liked.

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, obviously the Nightmare is just going to leave, letting the group get eaten - eventually - by the B.U.N.N.I.E.S.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what they should do. I don't do monsters. Seriously. I don't.

Toss a carrot? Convinence the little monsters there is a huge mountain of chocalate somewhere very, very far away?

When it comes to monster, there's only one thing I do: HIDE UNDER THE COVES, CLOSE MY EYES, AND HOPE THAT WHATEVER I JUST SAW IS NOT REALLY THERE AND I DON'T GET EATEN.

Now that I think about, maybe that's what these 'heros' should do.
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that'll work out wonderfully for the heroes. Honest.

Come to think of it, what's the plural of B.U.N.N.I.E.S.? B.U.N.I.E.S.?

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
DELETED

Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got a chuckle out of it. Oh and Lordy. B.U.N.N.I.E.S are just B.U.N.N.I.E.S. Only instead of being Breeding-Undead-Numerous-Nemeses-In-Easter-Suits they become Bred-Undead-Nightmaric-Nemesis-In-Easter-Suit.

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok. I suppose that works.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, the sun comes up and turns them all to stone. After a few caustic remarks about it still being midnight, they run away before the B.U.N.N.I.E.S. king Monty finds out. Then the elf (who is really quite intelligent but often has trouble connecting the dots) points out that Monty would turn to stone too. There is a short, supposedly witty conversation, ending with the question "what are we doing, anyway?"
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just waiting for review results guys...then I'll get this show back on the road.

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations - this Storygame has passed the Review Board. Your 300 fables have been refunded.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. There they are, Rai.

NOW POST!!!!!!!
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot I have made it out of New Storygames...but if I could only make it over to Jester Park...sorry for not specifying that right off the bat.

And I'll be back around to put up the poll later.

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your wish, is my command - one Jestertranslocationary movement Razz
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much Smee...hope you'll keep hanging around...when you're not off conquering WarCrack that is. Wink

Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now. That's a shocker.

The reveiw board works.

On topic: Whill they actually turn to stone, or will their suits merely crystalize?
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aggh, I missed this one, obviously too wrapped up in my own project (shamelessly advertised in sig below red ) which I would love to see end up over here one day. *Ahem.*

Any chance of putting up another suggestion? Or is it too late? I think Nightmare's idea of convincing the bunnies she was evil was a great idea. I think each of the others should have a go at doing the same, each in their own way. Would to wonder how it could turn out! If it is too late to add another one no worries, I'll go for one of the existing options.

The 100% fantasy genre has never really been my cup of tea, but I have to say, Kalanna, Eternal Wars I found captivating, and I think bringing humour into this area is very interesting. It will certainly keep me on board with this one. This is looking good - not as detailed as the last one, but I am already looking forward to the next chapter!
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it Crunchy, glad you caught up. And no, you cannot add any options, although you might save that idea for a later problem, I'm sure it will apply.

As for Eternal Wars...I'm glad you like it...it's taken me eight years to work most of the bugs out.

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right-O! The first new chappy in ages...Enjoy!
-----------------------

Chapter Three: So What Good Are You?

Fyervex leaned against one of the old trees, wishing with all her might that she had a crunchy snack to enjoy while watching the debicle her 'companions' had gotten themselves into. The B.U.N.N.I.E.S. had come to the edge of the ring and were gazing longingly at the creatures within. The unicorn was about a hair's breath away from wetting himself, the elf had wet herself, and the drow was gazing at her with a stern stare of disapproval...which would get him nowhere.

One of the B.U.N.N.I.E.S. glanced back at her, chittering something to the rest of the group who chittered back in an obviously negative manner. With another angery chitter the creature turned and began to hop toward her, watched by it's peers who were trying desperately to see what was going on while seeming not to care. "I'm going to give you to the count of three to turn around...if you don't you won't like what happens next." It stopped then insolently hopped forward. "One."

It hopped closer. "Two." It started to hop and Fyervex reared back, channeling a superheated blast of flame into her angery snort. As the B.U.N.N.I.E.S crumpled to ash she said. "Three." Looking at the others she gave an angry stare. "Did I mention I'm bad at math?" They quivered a bit but turned around, not another one daring to come after her.
---------------------------

Meanwhile, back in the safe circle, the rest of our intrepid questers had taken Photasmos's oversized blanket and pulled it over all three of their heads. "Well this is really helping." Photasmos, now that he couldn't see the danger, had regained his old arrogant tone. "Why don't one of you figure something out. Can't either of you do magic?" Penny shook her head.

"Papa said we had enough mages in the family, that it was time one of us became a respectible archer like all good elves should. It was either that or bake cookies."

"What's wrong with cookies?" Obviously, judging by the wounded tone with which he spoke, Gault had a love of cookies and the baking of them. Penny sighed.

"Nothing really...except that...well...I really hate the Keebler troop marching song. And the uniforms...and the permi-grins they all wear. They're creepy...although not as creepy as those things outside. How could something so evil get into an elf wood?"

"Evil? I hate to inform you elf but you've been traveling with a Drow, albiet a very strange and polite one, and a Nightmare...how much more evil do you need?!" Penny hadn't thought about that. Now Gault cleared his throat.

"This still isn't getting anything done. We can't hide under here forever." It was at that moment that there was a strange series of noises from outside, a large crash followed by all the B.U.N.N.I.E.S. uttering the one intelligible word they could say 'shiney' and then nothing.

"Alright children...you can come out now. All the scarey monsters are gone." Photasmos shoved Gault in the back, forcing the drow off balance and out from under the blanket.

"They're gone, it's clear." With that the blanket fell and revealed a still smoking Fyervex and a completely B.U.N.N.I.E.S free clearing. "What happened to them?" Gault still hadn't set foot outside the circle. The nightmare shrugged.

"Beats me. One minute I'm standing here all quiet and threatening and their looking for a way across that circle. The next there's a big Frizbee in the sky and they all go chasing after it." The rest of the group all looked first at themselves, then back at the nightmare. Before anything else could be said the nightmare added, with extreme venom in her voice. "And if any of you want to call me crazy you can always go check for yourself."

Naturally not one of them wanted to risk another encounter with the horrid Easter-based fiends. Instead they packed camp with extreme haste and took off in the direction they'd been heading the day before, Photasmos complaining the whole time about Penny's wet seat. "Well," she replied testily. "At least I didn't use your tail to..." He jarred her hard enough to stop her sentance.

They all had to follow Fyervex, and Gualt, since they were the only two with extreme Nightvision. Penny's was good and Photasmos was decent, but the Nightmare and the Drow were born into such conditions. It wasn't long, certainly before dawn, when they burst out of the elf wood and onto a hard packed path.

Dropping her head down Fyervex took a good sniff while Penny slipped off to change her cloathing. Returning suitably fresh she was just in time to hear Fyervex's revelation. "We've left the Amazing for Ordinary. Take a good look behind you...that's the boundary between Magic and Mortal." Looking behind themselves they saw the woods stop, a barrier shimmering across them and a small sign saying 'Keep Off Grass'.

"But...but...I've never been to Ordinary! I suppose they don't have a nearby Herd Range I could visit to arrange a passport?" Photasmos's statement drew another derisive snort from Fyervex.

"Fool...they don't even have Unicorns in Ordinary! To them you look like a horse, or a goat...or maybe even a deer depending on how they're feeling. It's the drunken ones that'll recognize you." The unicorn looked pale, quite the achivement for him since he was already snowy white, and the drow turned a speculative eye on the nightmare.

"You speak like you've been here before." She gave him a flat stare.

"I have. It's not pleasant, especially the further from Amazing you get. Here on the boarder things are frozen in what they call 'The Mideval Ages'. That means people are willing to believe in magic, even if they'll do any number of horrible things to you if they figure out you've got it, and creatures like Photasmos and myself. However, the further from the boarder you get, the less like home it will become."

Penny groaned. "Why do we even have to come this way huh? What am I doing so far from home." Photasmos snorted.

"You're on a quest from the Gods girl. We're supposed to be...ah...ah...anybody have any clue what we're supposed to be doing?" Penny obviously didn't and neither did Photasmos. Gault was empty handed...that only left the Fyervex who stared at them all like they'd grown second heads.

"Wait a second am I the only one with any clue as to what's going on here! Didn't any of you think to ask why you were being picked and what you were being picked for? Obviously not since you're all sitting there with blank looks." The nighmare sighed.

"It's like this. A person from Ordinary managed to get through the barrier and into Amazing. While this happens often it's generally because the Gods want it to. This guy crossed over by complete mistake. He wandered around, had a few adventures, and now he's writing books about it, successful fantasy stories."

"Well what's so bad about that." Photasmos pawed the ground. "I don't see the problem..."

"The books arn't the problem. The problem is that he stole one of the Founding Stones. He's currently using it as a paperweight on his desk. If we don't get it back before the Summer Solstice, then Amazing will cease to be Amazing and will become..." Fyervex looked around conspiratoraly. "Amazing will become Slightly Unusual. Our powers will diminish, our races will die out, and most of the magic will be lost forever."

Now they were all properly scared. Photasmos couldn't even muster the brainpower to snort, all of it going into contemplating the changes that would happen to his neat little world. It certainly made sense that that Gods would act...but their choice of champions didn't. Shouldn't they have brought forth the mightiest of mighty heros? Each with weapons and armor imbued by the Gods themselves?

Why had they picked an elf maid with bladder issues, a drow that seemed very unmanly, a nightmare that could probably kill them all and not feel bad about it, and...himself? "Well why are we standing here! We need to go get that Founding Stone."

"Hold your humans Unicorn. The man in question lives very near the center of Ordinary...close to a place called Futuristic. I've only been to Futuristic once and I don't care to go back...everything is all chrome and spacey..." The Nighmare stuck out her tounge with an 'ugh'. "That part of Ordinary, just like this part of Ordinary, is influenced by it's neighbor. It's got things like Computers, Space Shuttles, and Hot Pants. Worst of all, they ride around in metal things called SUV's...no horses hardly at all. We'll stick out like...well like A Connecticut Yankee's in King Arthurs Court."

The other three said "Huh?" at the same time. Fyervex shook her head.

"Nevermind...it's a book I encountered on my travels through Ordinary...the tale of someone who spent some time in Amazing then returned."

Now the other three said "Oh." at the same time. Photasmos pawed the ground again.

"So what are we going to do? Get disguises and sneak in? I don't know about you but there is no way I'm going to be able to blend with normal, nonmagical horses...nevermind parading around as a human...Fyervex....Why are you looking at me like that?" The Nightmare had donned an appraising expression and now grinned at the Unicorn.

"Isn't there a spell that will change you into a human temporarily? I know I've got one..." Photasmos backed up.

"There is no way I will ever..." The nightmare snorted.

"Ever..." Now she pawed the ground.

"Ever..." She flicked her tail and there was a flash.

"Ever be human. Ever." Photasmos suddenly felt strange...and cold. The others were snickering at him. "What's so funny?" Gault, cheeks a bright silver, unpinned his cloak and draped it over Photasmos. With a surprised look, Photasmos reached up a hand and held the cloak closed. "I don't get it what's the joke?"

"Hold out your left forehoof." Going along with it Photasmos stuck out his left forehoof...and screamed as a pale human hand occupied the space it should have. "Just as I thought...there was a spell that worked on Unicorns."

"What did you do!" Pink patches appeared on his face as Fyervex stared evenly at him.

"Made you human of course. It's the only way to travel through ordinary." She made a different set of gestures and suddenly a very beautiful woman in dark clothing stood before him. "See, it's how I travel." Photasmos glared.

"So why do you get clothes and I'm naked?" The woman smiled.

"Easy...you weren't cooperating...and I didn't know your size. Now for you two." It didn't take much, reversing Gault's colors so that he now had black eyes and white skin, although the white hair stayed, and blunting their ear tips. "Right, we can pass through this part of Ordinary."

Photasmos, with Gault's help, had managed to struggle into some of the Drow's spare clothing. "Well, what will we do when we get to the point when our disguises don't work?" Fyervex shrugged.

"Well I don't know about you but my stuff always changes to suit taste and timeperiod...no reason it should do that this time." With a grump Photasmos turned and looked at the rode they were standing on. It seemed to stretch forever infront of them.

"Well we might as well get moving...any idea where we are?" The woman shook her head.

"Nope but I can see an Inn from here...maybe folks in town can give us directions." Photasmos looked at the others, who looked at him. Going into an Ordinary town could go very well...or not. Hadn't Fyervex said these people were suspicious of magic...

What to do?
---------------------------

Open decision, do they go to the inn, if not what are they going to do?
---------------------

Hope you liked.

Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the government of Amazing has an agent planted in Ordinary somewhere.

For, you know, intelligence...

Okay, sad cliche, but I'm still going with it.
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option - split up, but with one of them going to the inn. It's an opportunity for the characters to get into all sorts of bother. Laughing

For all 4 of them to go to the inn might be too suspicious.

Besides, whether their disguises are good or not, their ignorance for the Ordinary cultures is bound to give at least one of them away eventually, whatever decision they choose. Smile
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why they contact the agent.

As another factor, there are also some fanatics from amazing who wish to unite all the worlds through communication and are attempting to install a talk network.
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other options...if not poll goes up tomorrow.

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send one of them in to the inn maybe. Ummm. I will have to think on this more...
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll's up...vote them to their doom.

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I forgot to tell you guys that the poll was up.

Items

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say spilt up... see what they can find. Cool
Mother Goose
Respected Citizen

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops...voted before I reread the chapter. I just realized it's morning ("before dawn") and not the most likely time to be going to an inn. Well, maybe after the sun comes up and the inn is open for business, one of them, probably the Nightmare since she has the most experience in Ordinary, can go there, make a reservation for four for the night, and then they can split up, see what they can find, and meet back at the inn to make plans for the next stage of the quest.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right time for a new chappy...Enjoy
------------------------

Chapter Four: None at All

"I say we split up." The other three stared at the nightmare with suspicion which shortly proved well founded.

"Why?" Fyervex smiled grimly at Gault. The smile they'd all begun to associate with really bad things happening to the rest of them. They all shivered instictively as she gave her answer.

"Because I don't want to get caught thanks to one of you acting like a moron." Turning and setting off down the road she called over her shoulder. "And becareful what you say to people...I don't want to see you hung or anything else." The three of them glanced at each other and Photasmos scuffed a foot in the dirt, swearing aloud when he stubbed his toe.

"I suppose this means we've got to figure out different names to use...well at least Gault and I."
-------------------------

Three hours later, the sun was finally up, Photasmos and Gault had managed to figure out suitable names to go by. "Remember," Gault hissed to Penny. "I'm Gerry, he's Phil." Penny nodded thanking her lucky stars that her nickname was Ordinary sounding. They weren't even sure that these names would work...afterall. What sounded ordinary in Amazing might just be amazing in Ordinary.

They'd decided that Penny and 'Phil' would go to the inn under the guise of travlers that had recently been robbed. That would explain why 'Phil' was naked and Penny was wearing men's clothing. 'Gerry' meanwhile, would wander down the road like a lost traveler, pretending to be illiterate and dim. "Afterall...who know's what kind of script they use here in Ordinary. I doubt it's Common or Drow Standard."

Agreeing that, barring any horrible mishaps, they'd meet back here tomorrow morning, they set off. Penny would look back later and realize what utter and complete fools they'd been.
---------------------

Fyervex had snuck through the town under cover of night, stealing a few provisions from both farmhouses and fields...although a couple of the shops had tempted her. She'd had a brush with the single village guard shortly after dawn and, after plying him with some stolen rum, managed to drag all the information out of him she needed.

It was the Queen's Fiftieth birthday, and a Thursday. She was in the village of Tweederly, the cutest little town in all of Polfolkdown. And he was a very drunk guard and she shouldn't tell any bandits because they'd be sure to rob the guardhouse and make off with all the gold inside.

After taking all the gold from the strongbox in the guardhouse, Fyervex was feeling rather proud of herself. Procuring also, from the confiscated items storeroom, a well made lute and a silver rapier, she made sure nobody was looking. Then, with a snap of her fingers, she exerted a tiny bit of power to change her black garb for something in midnight blue...allowing silver stitching to glimmer on hems and a few orniments to tangle in her hair.

Checking herself in a shop window, real glass somebody was making a fortune in 'Fine Undergarmets for Genteele Men', she was satisfied that she looked the part. Trampling around a bit to look suitably travel stained, she headed for the inn. "I hope they're in the mood for a traveling bard who's been on the road too long to have any real news."
---------------------

Gualt, or 'Gerry' was wandering down the road, singing a rather simple tune, when he bumped into another traveler. "Pardon me ma'am." He stumbled away a bit, not even glancing at the face. It wasn't until he was banging into the Inn door that he realized he had bumped into Fyervex. But the sounds from inside the inn were sounding much more interesting.

Opening the door he was forced to duck a flying footstool. A full fledged bar-fight was in progress, amazing for this early. And it seemed to revolve around two figures huddled in a corner which he recognized as Penny and 'Phil'. He was about to ask what was going on when somebody broke a couple of chairs over his head and he fell to the ground...
-----------------------

Photasmos, 'Phil', didn't know how things had gone so wrong. The villagers had totally been buying his story until one of the barmaids had gotten a peek under his cloak and then...well she'd screamed to the whole world that he was a freak of nature. Phil didn't know what was wrong. White skin, white hair, everything looked fine to him. Then he'd noticed his tail and that's when he realized something was wrong.

The damn nightmare hadn't finished the spell! Whether from spite or just to cause a nice distraction she'd left him his long silky tail. Naturally the men had wanted to examin Penny and that's when 'Phil' had stood up for her. So what if he was an albino freak with a tail...nobody was going to touch the elf on his watch. And thus, the barfight ensued.

'Phil' noticed 'Gerry' show up...and watched him get beaten to the floor. He rolled his eyes...that was two people to get out, besides himself. "Where is the nightmare?" He knew he couldn't wait around, knew she could probably take care of herself...but he was half hoping she'd show up and help him out.

What to do...
------------------

What's he going to do?
------------------

Hope you liked.

What is outside?
Dog?
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
A WTF is that?
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2
Who Voted: LordoftheNight, Mephistopheles

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: