Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Chapter 1- The Crew

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> Galleons of the Stars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Chapter 1- The Crew Reply with quote

Okay, teaser time is over. Time for the meat of the story to begin...Enjoy!
--------------------

Chapter One: The Crew

In one of the two Elder Boys' dormitories at Our Angel of Compassionate Mercy Orphanage, three young men waited in tense silence. One, an Arcex, was reading a book while sitting on his bed. His white wings were long enough to drape over the sides and rest on the floor, despite being folded well over his head. He seemed calmest of the three, pages turning at regular intervals.

Another, this one human, was standing next to the window, gazing out through the thick, rain-spattered, leaded glass into the gloomy gray day beyond. He fidgeted every now and then and licked his lips often. His clothes were ill-fitting, the sleeves on his shirt an inch too short already. He was growing again, at last. Maybe now he'd catch up to the others.

The third was neither human nor Arcex. He was a Canin and he sat close to the door on a chair, eyes closed. One ear was lifted, listening for any sound in the corridor, any footstep headed their way. He opened his eyes and glared at the Arcex as the winged youth turned another page. "Keep it down will you Ambrois?"

The Arcex looked up, flicking blond hair out of sky-blue eyes. "Come on Donovan. My page turning can't be disturbing your concentration that badly." Donovan snorted, both ears flicking back slightly as he smiled, pointed canines gleaming in his mouth. Before he could reply, however, there was a shout from the window watcher.

"Gimme a hand guys, he's coming!" The three of them crowded around the window as another youth rapped on the glass. Quickly, Ambrois reached out and unlatched it, the three of them dodging backwards as the window swung in. Three arms reached out to grab hold of the youth on the outside, hauling him in quickly.

Ambrois shut the window again and began to fan his wings and dry the water that was spreading in a dripping puddle from the new-comer. The youth that had been at the window crowded close. "Did you get it? Did you get it!"

The wet youth laughed, holding out a slightly sodden paper package. "Yes Saul, I got it. Yunni was in a good mood today, somebody else had bought him his rum already. He told me some new stories and he gave me this." With a flick of his wrist, the wet youth tossed the package into the air and stripped the paper off of it mid-flight.

Without it's wrapping it was revealed to be a record cube. "There it is boys. Pictures of every known Pirate and their ships...and it's all at our fingertips..." For a moment the four young men stood around it, gazing at the fruits of their hard work.

Donovan tapped the wet youth's shoulder. "You're amazing Jasper, simply amazing. Now we can put faces to the tales, see the ships that fought the battles..." The Canin's soulful brown eyes grew misty and he moved off toward his bed. "Just think..."

Setting the cube down on his bed, Jasper stripped off his wet clothes and began to rummage in his own chest, the small chest all orphans were provided to store their personal things. Pulling out some dry clothes he'd just finished changing when Donovan gave the signal that someone was approaching.

The youths flew into action, mopping up the last of the wet water, hiding the wet clothes, and burying the record cube at the bottom of Jasper's chest. They were all sitting on their beds, save Jasper who had was by the still wet window, when the door opened to admit the Controller. He scowled at them all, rapping his stout strap against his hand.

"Alright...one of ye was up to mischief again. Which of ye was it?" He whirled around and pointed a big, meaty fist in Donovan's face. "Was it ye mutt boy? Was ya out side without permission again?" Donovan's ears were plastered back against his head, his tail twitching against the side of his leg as he spread his hands. His short, stubby nails were clean, the pads on his finger-tips and palms a dull black.

"No sir! I've been taking my punishment sir, we all have."

"Sir, none of us have left the room, as per your and Master Cowley's instructions." The Controller squinted at Ambrois, but the Arcex's face was nothing but angelic. He was wearing a 'butter wouldn't melt in my mouth' expression, his wings flowing gracefully behind him. His book, place carefully marked by a single finger, was at his side, his other hand gesturing to the other youth's in the room. "What made you think we'd been out?"

"Ye opened yer window..." The Controller began, smacking his stout strap against his palm again.

Jasper turned and looked at him. "That was my bad. I needed some fresh air and I didn't see any harm in just sticking my head out." He patted ruefully at his damp hair and gave a roguish smile. The next thing he knew he was up against the wall, pinned by the Controller's bulk. Despite being several inches taller, Jasper was still only 16 and growing into himself. He was no match for the burly, angry man that now had him by the shirt.

"Ye'er not ta be out! At all!" The strap unrolled and Jasper's green eyes went flat and cold. If this man beat him one more time...Suddenly Ambrois was there, a restraining hand on the Controller's bicep.

"Sir...he hasn't been anywhere near his sister in five days. He needed the air sir before he got sick." The Controller froze at Ambrois's words, cold eyes boring into Jasper's for a few moments. Then he released the youth, stepping back a few paces and shrugging off Ambrois's grip. Jasper slid down the wall, legs turning to jelly from the effort to restrain himself.

"That's a load of bunk it is...but I'll go tell Master Cowley." Slowly the Controller began to leave the room. At the doorway he whirled around, staring at the young men. "But I'm watching ye! And real close-like at that..."

The moment the door shut Ambrois took Jasper by one arm, Saul taking the other, and they hauled him to his feet. For a moment, Jasper was unsteady, then his legs firmed up again. "Thanks guys...you know it takes it outta me."

Saul shook his head. "I still don't see how you hold it all in Jasper? If I had a temper like yours..." The youngest of the four shrugged. "Well I'd probably be in Lock-Up by now." At the mention of Lock-Up Jasper stiffened. That had been hell for him to endure...the first time he'd gone without Jade being there for any long period of time. It had nearly killed both of them.

The four young men sat down on Jasper's bed, just shaking their heads about the whole matter. They were all as different as could be, yet they had known each other forever. They had all grown up in this Orphanage, the only home they'd ever known, and were just as close as brothers in-spite of the differences.

The eldest was Ambrois at 17. Like all Arcex he was tall and lanky, with a build tending toward the lean side. His massive wings had a span nearly double his height of 5'11", their feathers as pure as the snow. Yet, like all other Arcex, he could not fly. The muscles of his upper torso that drove his beautiful wings were not powerful enough to lift his body in true flight. This didn't stop him from casting an angelic appearance.

He had long blond hair that was constantly getting in his blue eyes and wasn't much of a fighter. He preferred intellectual pursuits and, of course, always set a high standard for himself. Because of his non-offensive and studious nature, and his amazing ability to bullshit nearly anyone into believing anything, Ambrois got them out of quite a bit of trouble...and he never let them forget it.

Jasper was the next in age, at 16, and the group's outspoken leader. Already taller than Ambrois by several inches, his form was beginning to fill out into what might be a powerful frame some day. His red hair was kept cropped short although it had gotten long on top lately, and his dark eyes were always gleaming with some sure-fire get them in trouble scheme. He was the best person to have beside you in a fight though, and he never backed down no matter the odds.

His attitude, however, challenged anyone who tried to tell him anything without including the word 'please' at the end of the sentence. Rebellion ran hot in his blood and his temper often seemed like a living thing. It didn't take much to get Jasper's blood up and once his temper sparked it could have amazing effects...which invited terrible consequences. It was Jasper's temper that had landed them confined to their room for the next three weeks.

Donovan was also 16 but chrono-testing put his birthday cycles after Jasper's. A Canin, Donovan was much like those far off ancestors that had been closer to foxes and wolves of old Earth than they were to dogs. He was two inches shorter than Ambrois and stocky, his shoulders already wider than any of the other boys'. His legs and arms were powerful and thick, his tail a bushy fan that was often set wagging by a good joke.

His ears, a little droopy but still very wolf-like, and his sleepy eyes hide a surprising wit behind them. Loyal and faithful, Donovan would do anything to help his 'brothers'. Because of his keen senses of smell and hearing, Donovan was often the one keeping watch or tracking them down when they'd all split up. His fluffy brown hair and olive skin would be shined with sweat and he'd be puffing away as he ran to round them all up in time.

And lastly there was Saul, the youngest of the group at 15. His hair was black, his eyes clear grey and he was finally beginning to grow out of his punitive 5'4" frame. He was a still very young-looking and was often mistaken for a child by visitors. While that had upped his chances for adoption in the past, now it was just annoying. However, his small frame did carry one advantage...Saul was very quick..

Saul was often the one getting into the most trouble, the one most often needing to be defended or aided in a fight. Saul had noticed early on he had a talent for taking things that did not belong to him. Despite all disciplinary attempts to the contrary, he continued to hone and ply his craft. This could be helpful for the boys when they were allowed out since they were never given any pocket money and Saul often liberated a few coins from the unwary passerby. Indeed, much of the boys' meager savings had come thanks to Saul's quick fingers.

Now though, as they sat deep in conversation about the cube and tried to pry what new stories Jasper had learned out of him, Donovan's ears perked up. "They're coming." Quickly the boys scattered back to their own beds and did their best to look bored as the door swung open.

In the hallway stood the Controller, strap hanging from his belt. He crooked a finger at Jasper with a nasty smile. "Master Crowley wants to see ye Jasper boy. Come on."
-----------------------------

What could Master Crowley want to see Jasper about?
---------------------------------

There it is...chapter one. Hope you liked.

"Music makes you braver."

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
6104 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, how about crowley is letting him see his sister? Or maybe he wants to punish him for opening the window, and with no one there to help him out, he gets royally angry, and starts to do some beating himself. His friends show up before anyone dies, but they have to escape the orphanage and set off on their own adventure.
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Topics: 68

Items
Legends
5764 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a relative has come to claim Jasper... or is it a fake relative who knows something about his family/parents and needs jaspers blood to get what he wants.....
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF?? Are you reading my mind....The blood part hit a little too close to home Ne-ne...

dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOhhhh...Rai, You are slipping. Giving away hints like that, naughty girl.

My two cents on the DP: It's our steely winged Thin Man from chapter 1 claiming to be Jaspers relative and wants to see him, immediatly. Of course, a few coins properly hurried the process, and no idnetification was necessary since they look 'so a like' *smiles, hint, hint*
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
5764 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry i didnt think to mention my psychic proclivity... btw you almost ripped off my half formed idea of a post apocolyptic pirate space story..

maybe we are twins...

Maybe it should be a dashing bold goodlooking bad guy so jasper falls for it - he always assumed he was the son of a hero..
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Ne-ne...seriously. Get outta my head...

NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
5764 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*opens little hatch and climbs out finding herself on top of Kalanna Rai's head..*

THERE! you happy!

im just glad i didnt mention the ... oops almost mentioned it.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I figured I'd put this poll up before I took my trip. Have fun voting, new chappy when I get back!

The Meaning Of Fear
Respected Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
2439 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BWAHAHAH!!!!

I broke ze tie!

Doors to the truth, an SG where a boy is propelled into worlds he is unfamiliar with. He crosses many worlds, and sees many things that force him to throw away his innocence, once, and for all. Fourth Chapter, out for viewing!
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 339

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, missed the voting.

I would have said someone who wants the cube. He's been given the wrong one, the one they have has valuable information on it. Shocked
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was going to put this up tonight...UnderDark ate all my time. Tomorrow I promise.

And btw...I'm blending all three poll options just to make things interesting. Don't know how I'll pull it off yet but I will*.

*I generally do...

Hak
Citizen

Topics: 12

Items
Legends
758 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay slim man! I'm trying to make it into a manga... Thanks for permission to draw this!!! Thankyouthankyouthankyou
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Galleons of the Stars All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: