Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Chapter 10: The Quiet Moments

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> Galleons of the Stars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Chapter 10: The Quiet Moments Reply with quote

Okay, without further ado, it's time to present the new chapter. Enjoy!
-----------------------------

Chapter Ten: The Quiet Moments

Jasper turned hard eyes from the blazing ship to the wounded pirate and quickly surmised that while the Muse was toast Angelo could be saved if he worked quickly. "Ambrois! Can you get a good look at the wound?"

The young Arcex shook his head, blond hair swirling in the light of the burning ship. "I'm afraid if I take pressure off of it we'll be in some seriously deep shit." He gave Jasper a tortured look, one the young man could easily understand. It's one thing to find out who your father is and realize he's been dead almost as long as you've been alive. It's another to find your father alive, well, and more importantly, interested in getting to know you as a son. To suddenly be in danger of having him die litteraly in your arms was something Jasper wouldn't wish on anyone who's ever believed themselves an orphan.

Angelo coughed and spat, a wad of shimmering silver blood flew through the air. "Nice distance." Saul observed before being sharply elbowed in the gut by Donovan. "What?" The younger boy asked with a shrug, getting only an eye roll in response.

Jasper knelt infront of Angelo, taking in the strange sensation of being eye level with the slim man. "Angelo, I need to know if you've got anything else stashed on the island that might help?" For a moment the shining silver eyes of the pirate and the dark ones of the red-headed youth locked. Jasper saw the sharp clarity in that gaze, the will of a man who was steel in more than name. A flash of something, some wild insight, lit those silver orbs.

"Oh shit...the alcohol!" He coughed again and Jasper winkled his nose in exasperation.

"How can you think of drinking at a time like this?" He asked sharply, then backed up a hair as one of his half healed bruises began to ache.

Angelo looked at him. "Humm let me see. Kneeling in the mud as my ship burns, surrounded by people with no medical training, a slug the size of my little finger wedged somewhere internally, and my blood is leaking out of the gaping hole in my side. Oh this is the perfect time to think about drinking. But that's not the alcohol I'm talking about. I've got some 'special stuff' in my pocket and..."

"I'll get it!" Saul said with a lunge toward the coat pocket nearest him. He'd been dying to see what kinds of stuff a famous pirate would pack around but, so far, hadn't had a chance. Before anyone could say anything, he plunged his hand into the coat pocket...and promptly pulled it back out with a strangled scream. His fingers had been lanced open, nearly to the bone. Something moved in Angelo's pocket, wiggling a little before subsiding and looking like a normal pocket again.

Angelo laughed, a laugh which turned into a cough that brought up more bloody foam. "Now Jasper mate. If you'll reach into that pocket there," he said indicating his right pants pocket. "Fish around until you get your hands on something large, hard, warm and..." catching the look on the Jasper's face Angelo had the sense to look mortified while Jade reached over and smacked Jasper in the back of the head. Obviously her brother had shared his thoughts with her.

"NOT THAT you hormon crazed teenager!" Angelo roared. Turning his voice down just a bit he continued. "There's a vial in my pocket that might stop me from bleeding to death but I'm a little preoccupied holding myself up and intact to reach it so if you don't mind..."

Closing his eyes and wondering why he'd ever thought Angelo Steel was an awsome being in the first place, Jasper stuck his hand into the indicated pocket. He had to admit, there was a lot of...stuff...crammed in it when there didn't seem to be anything in it at all if you were just looking. Suddenly his fingers brushed up against something that fit the slim man's description. He closed his eyes and pulled on it, hoping his dirty mind wasn't right. To his surprise, a vial did indeed come forth, sparkling with a luminescent glow like the dawn.

The glow pulsed all around it, small sparks of light swirling and dancing in the air. It was beautiful, so beautiful that Jasper almost forgot about giving it to Angelo until the pirate cleared his throat. "Any day now mate...Saul, hold my shoulder will you?"

"Is your coat going to try and eat me again?" The youth asked suspiciously as he hesitantly steadied Angelo's right side so that the pirate could take the vial in his right hand. When nothing happened, Saul took a little better grip and watched as Angelo pushed the rune emblazoned on the vial's top. A small hole opened in the lid and the pirate took a small sip. He winced and made a face...like a man who's just taken a shot of vodka for the first time.

Angelo looked back at Jasper and gingerly extended the vial. "Two drops in the wound. Any more and you'll do more damage than the bullet." Making sure the red head had ahold of the precious stuff, the pirate turned to Ambrois. "You're going to have to let go son."

For a moment Ambrois thought about saying no. If he let go Angelo was in real danger of the punctured lung collapsing. If he didn't let go, though, the slim man was going to bleed out and there wasn't a damn thing the young Arcex could do about it. Another explosion rocked the Muse, dancing in Angelo's eyes as he began to remove his own hand which was still trapped under both of Ambrois's own. "Trust me....trust me Ambrois." With a massive gulp Ambrois pulled both hands back swiftly and watched as the blood really began to flow.

Jasper leaned in for a moment, hands trembling so badly that Ambrois was forced to take the vial from him and let two drops fall into the wound. Angelo cried out in pain, that strangled cry all stoic men seem to make when they're having a limb or some such cut off. A tear rolled down his face as, suddenly, the blood stopped running. In an almost macabre fashion, the flesh of the wound began to seeth as it knitted itself back togther. Just before it closed, Cobalt's spent slug was pushed free of the newly healed flesh, glimmering in the mud.

For a moment, nobody moved as Angelo panted in pain. Then, on shaking legs, he stood and wiped the sweat off of his brow, leaving a streak of silver blood like some savage warpaint. A final explosion rocked the crippled Galleon and Angelo looked at the gathered orphans, his gaze lighting on Jasper and Ambrois especially. "You might want to move to the right a smidge...and you might want to do that now..."

Heeding his advice the pair stepped to the side just in time to miss Angelo's sword as it came keening downward, like a bold from the heavens above. Tangled around it's hilt were two valuble chains. One was a sliver pendant in the shape of a curled feather, the third and final piece of the medallion Jasper and Jade wore around their necks. The other was an electric blue gem on a golden chain which pulsed and danced with it's own light. Ambrois recognized it instantly as the light reached out to him.

Angelo gently untangled the pair, wrapping the silver pendant into his hair so that it restrained his ponytail. The other he held for a moment before extending it to Ambrois. "I think you two need to get to know each other better."

Ambrois took it with trembling fingers and slipped it about his neck, feeling the warmth and peace that the small gem seemed to exude. There was the strangest feeling, like wings brushing the edges of his mind. Then, as if some magical door had been found or some forgotten seal been broken, the voice of his mother filled his mind. "Ambrois, my son, I shall never leave you again."
--------------------------

Angelo had been resistant to Jasper's suggestion of attempting to salvage some of the Muse. He'd simply sat there, strong drink the pygmy's had brought him in hand, rubbing the hilt of his sword and glaring at the wreck of the once proud ship. But Jasper could be very pursuasive when he put all of his stubborn energy behind something. So now the orphans waited while Angelo scaled the side of the ship in a few neat moves and vanished over the rail.

Jade drew her brother aside, allowing Donovan to lick the wounds on Saul's fingers and Ambrois to his convorsation with his mother. I'm proud of you.

Jasper shot her a startled look. What did I do?

You kept your cool, kept your head. Shit, Ambrois was one step away from becoming a wreck and breaking down on us. Saul and Donovan looked a little hurt but I think that's because neither of them happened to have any marshmellows or other items to roast on a stick. And me...well you know how I can get. But you, you really thought on your feet.

Jasper turned away from her, his jaw working. His mental sheilds were as strong as ever but that didn't stop Jade from getting a small peek at his feelings. She put an arm around his waist and leaned her head against him. It was Cobalt's choice, not yours Jasper. You didn't make her do it.

But was it my fault that she felt she had to do this? I havn't been paying much attention to her and you know how she can get when she's feeling ignored.

Jade spun her brother around, her passivness smothered in her rightous anger that one pluni wench could have caused so much damage to the person who meant everything to her. I don't care how she felt. To be honest, Jasper, I didn't like her from the first. She was conniving, manipulative, and shallow. She took one look around and, when she couldn't get Ambrois into bed, she set her sights on you. Jade nodded at her brother's surprised look. You didn't know that did you? That she went after Ambrois first?

Now Jasper's anger flaired and he looked at the ruins of the Muse, at where his best friend sat with the blood of his father on his hands, speaking to a spirit long dead. He looked at Saul, who was idly flexing injured fingers, at Donovan who's drooping ears told that the canin felt the despondence in the air. At Jade who stood looking at him with tears standing in her still furious, worried eyes. What had happened to them? Where was the laughing, mischievious crew that had taken off from the orphanage with him? Where were his stalwart companions?

His fists clenched as he ground his teeth, an inferno sparked within him that Jade did nothing to restrain. As the gleam of murder entered his eyes, something suddenly happened that had never happened before. The fire changed to ice, from hot, spur of the moment rage, to cold, calculating, vengeful fury. She's going to suffer. For the pain, the hurt, the damage she's done...Oh God. Angelo...Jade she knows all about Cele and the secret of the Muse! She knows who we are! She knows about these! He held his pendant up by it's chain, watching the way it leaned toward Jade's.

I know Jasper. And knowing Cobalt. She's going to play all that information for all it's worth. Which, I imagine, is quite a lot in the pirate world...considering... For a moment brother and sister shared a perfect understanding as Jasper's ice spread to Jade and Jade's methodical paitence flowed back to her brother. Nobody pissed off the twins and got away with it...nobody.
-------------------------------

The sun was rising on the next day before Angelo was back, covered head to toe in soot and other debris. He was wiping his hands on a rag only marginally less filthy than they were as he grabbed a hanging vine and slid down. His soft landing woke none of the orphans, who slept where they had dropped, covered in furs provided by the pygmy's. For a moment Angelo allowed his gaze to sweep them before he noticed Cele's pulsing glow.

He stood over his son a moment, resisting the foreign urge to towsle the young Arcex's hair. The blue mist that had, in life, been his wife rose like smoke to curl around him. How bad?

Bad enough. I can't repair her with just spit and good looks Cele. I'm going to need some supplies for this. I've scavenged enough to put the communicator back in working order though. It's just a matter of who to call.

Why not call... Anglo caught what Cele was about to say from the images she couldn't quite hide from him.

NO! Absolutely not. Let him rest Cele, don't desturb him.

But if Mange is going to go after the Articles he needs to know Angelo. I think he'd be a little more pissed if he finds out about this at the last moment. Surely...

No Celestina, I am not going to do that until it's the eleventh hour...eleven thirty if possible. I'll call Vixen, she'll get a kick out of bailing me out. The spirit returned to the gemstone as Angelo returned to the Muse's blackened communications unit. With a few curses and feathers laying in just the right places to make the right connections, it surged to life.

"Calling Outlando de Amour, Vixen you up?"

"Angelo? Is that YOU?"

"Who else love? Feel like helping out an old swashbuckler dear?"

"Let me get a shirt on then give me the coordinates."
-----------------------------------------

It wasn't until evening that the ship touched down, anchoring far from the coast. Angelo had been rather tight lipped to the orphans as to the identity of the 'help' he'd called upon. Indeed, Ambrois hadn't gotten very far asking Cele about it either, his mother suddenly going tight-lipped and huffy whenever he tried. He gathered that, whoever the help was, it wasn't someone she cared much for.

A long boat slowly rowed ashore, the oarsman easily handeling the surf and skidding it right up on the beach. Donovan was the first to realize something was up as he caught the scents, jaw dropping. "Uh guys...I've got a strange feeling about this."

Donovan's jaw drop was mirrored shortly by Saul, Jasper, and to a lesser degree, Ambrois who simply stared. The figure that rushed up and embraced Angelo, who might as well been a steel rod for all the emotion he showed, was clearly an attractive female canin. An attractive female canin rather obviously attracted to the slim man himself...obviously. "Angelo Steel...damn but I could just eat you alive! What is your secret to looking so fabulously young?"

Angelo took a swig off of his current bottle. "I'm pretty much pickled by now Vixen. But let's cut the small talk. Did you bring the gear or are you going to tow me?"

The canin's eyes sparkled, a coy smile playing on her lips. One of her delicate fingers with its elegant nail traced a design abscently on Angelo's chest. "Oh both darling...but I've got a little favor to ask you first?"
------------------------

What is this mysterious favor she asks? Use your imagination here guys, anything goes.
-------------------------------

Well, phew, it was long again but not multiple parts. And it got what it needed to done. Hope you liked!

"Music makes you braver."

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:43 am; edited 4 times in total
Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
6104 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, she wants to reach in his pocket for something long, warm, and hard, but she doesn't want it to remain there for very long either Wink

OR, she keeps teasing him until he agrees to the favor, then grabs the bottle, tosses it into the ocean, and asks why he chose the drink over her. reveal some of their past.

good chappy rai. thoroughly enjoyed it. Smile

eminem

without the threat of death,
there is no reason to live at all

marilyn manson
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
10415 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought sorting Angelo out was very well done and humourous.

The female canin - hmm. Does she live on this planet, then?

I think she wants to be taken somewhere. Somewhere very dangerous, where there will be someone that doesn't like Angelo very much.

Smile
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
5046 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it rpg-style! She clearly needs him to get something from the pygmies for her, something that she's been after for a long time, and they've never given to her.

Tea Cures All.
Player of Fates
Citizen

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
1803 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She wants hard sex and a ride to a distant planet that can only spell trouble for Amby and his crew. Hey! Someone had to say it!

Pretty Thing
Vampires just got a whole lot Hotter

The Business
The fine print can kill you.
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
5046 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone had to think it, yes... No-one had to say it.

Anyway, Mess-head came up with a similar idea.

Tea Cures All.
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
9744 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*raises hand guiltily* I'm afraid I'm going to have to admit that,.. that was what first came to my mind as well...

And oooo....Cele is jealous!

Btw, I love the twins more and more every time you feature them Rai.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*a mysterious draconic figure slips in and hangs a sign on the door which reads 'Now Polling' before slipping back out again*

Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
9744 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*clicks and ties it* Ooops.... I'm sorry Rai! *flies off at top speed yelling, "I'm really sorry!" over her shoulder*

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bangs head on desk* Not the whole 'lets combine options' trick again.

*remembers the poll still has a couple days to run* I've got hope...only four votes...I've got more readers than that....

*dashes off to find them*

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I realize it was a short poll but I need to keep things moving along! It was tied for the 'quality time' and 'going somewhere dangerous' so they'll be blended. Luckily I can do that.

Carry on to the next installment!

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Galleons of the Stars All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: