Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Chapter 11: The Favors

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> Galleons of the Stars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Chapter 11: The Favors Reply with quote

Okay, here's your belated IFmas gift. Enjoy!
----------------------

Chapter Eleven: The Favors

Angelo took another long swig off of his bottle, throat working as the liqour burned a trail into his gut. "Oh I'm sure you do Vixen. But honestly love, is this really the time and place for that?" His eyes flicked toward the orphans, three of whom stood with gaping mouths and bemused expressions.

Vixen cuffed him playfully on the shoulder. "Not what I was going to ask but since you offered I'll take you up on that later. You know my ship, you'll be able to find your way to my quarters right?" Angelo rolled his eyes at her hissed whisper, taking another drink.

Wiping his mouth he replied quietly. "As if I'd get drunk enough to forget." In a louder voice he added. "But if that wasn't the favor...what was?"

Vixen opened her mouth to speak, then shut it again with a shake of her head. "We'll discuss it after you've got that wreak of yours patched up enough to be towed out. Where am I towing yout to by the way?"

Angelo winked, walking over toward where several hov-crates of supplies were being unloaded. "Oh I guess I'll have to tell you that later." And before Vixen could make any comments about his straining himself or wearing himself out, Angelo vanished into the foliage surrounding his ruined ship. The crate carriers followed a moment later.

For a few heartbeats Vixen was left standing alone with the orphans, a circumstance that terrified her. Get a grip Vix...they're just kids. And doesn't that one make dirty thoughts pop into your head. Oh ewww...what am I thinking?! Angelo hurry your Arcex butt up...
----------------------------

Two days later they were well out from the planet, the pygmy's saying many tearful goodbyes to Angelo...which took the form of several cases of strong homebrew jungle liqour. The orphans had gotten another shock to learn that the foxy mama, as Saul called her, was none other than Vixen Cura called 'Heartbreaker'. If the stories about her were to be believed she'd escaped a life as a courtisan to become a pirate. And from her looks and attitude those stories couldn't have been very wrong.

And while she'd teased Angelo about looking young, the orphans still hadn't been able to piece together his age, Vixen certainly didn't look fourty. Donovan made the comment that Canin were notoriously long lived, the second longest lived race infact, but still there was no denying Vixen defied all the conventions of aging. And that didn't help Jade when it came to being surrounded by barely leashed teenage males. Not when Vixen paraded around in skimpy outfits like the one she wore now.

In her short black shirt and low rise jeans, she was a walking invitation to have dirty thoughts. The only ones that seemed immune, besides Jade who was the only other female on the ship, were Ambrois and, surprisingly, Angelo. Ambrois was being nagged by his mother for the most part and would have shot venomous glances at Angelo had the pirate ever been around. But Angelo had borrowed a personal sustaining field and was working feverishly on the Muse every spare moment he had. That was probably the other reason he was immune to Vixen's charms...that or past prolonged exposure.

Ambrois had finally made Cele stop talking and was massaging aching temples when Angelo returned from the Muse, shaking his long mane of hair as he set the sustaining field down. Ambrois grumbled a greeting at him, adding an evil glare for good mesure, and went back to rubbing his temples. Angelo raised an eyebrow.

"She's pretty pissed at me isn't she?"

"You think?" Ambrois replied sarcastically. "She's laying into me like I'm the one who's cheating on her."

Angelo paused halfway through the door, wings stiff in irritation. Turning back into the room, he reached out and neatly snagged the blue gem necklace, lifting it off Ambrois's head in a neat motion. He stared into it's depths. The vow was 'till death do us part' Cele. While I'm profoundly glad you've stuck around you've got to remember I AM still alive and I DO still have my own needs to attend to. You come first, you always do, and you've still got something I gave to you long ago. So quit acting like a jealous child with a bag of sweets and stop putting our son through hell. You keep going the way you are and you're going to burn what little Ability he's got right out of his brain.

A spark jumped off the gem to sizzle on Angelo's hand and a cold voice blasted back at him. When you compare what I'm giving up to stay with you to what you'd be giving up to stay faithful it seems a paltry amount.

Angelo's laugh cut off the rest of her tirade. You're still deluding yourself Cele. But I love you for that. Now, I want you to apologize to Ambrois for making him suffer and I want you to behave or I'll take you back to the ship now. It's repaired enough for that.

You wouldn't!

Yes I'd rather not. I DO enjoy your company afterall. Who else would stand up to me like this? And who else would I actually listen to? With the spirit placated, Angelo flipped the gem back to Ambrois just as Vixen came through the door looking like a meal any man would want to eat.

"Oh? Am I interrupting something?" She walked over to Angelo and had she been a cat would have wound herself around his ankles. "Because I'd hate to be rude but we do have a pressing engagment." Her words were a throaty purr.

Angelo shrugged as Ambrois averted his gaze, allowing himself to be tugged away. "You do realize that I don't actually owe you any favors Vixen. If my tally is correct, you already owe me a tow and enough parts to build a new ship thrice over."

Her tail flicked across the back of his legs as her fingers walked up his arm to his shoulder. "Well, while I must admit I've been waiting for this an awful long time Angelo, there's something that you actually do owe me for doing this. You see...I wasn't nearby by chance."

"Ah," was all Angelo said as the Canin pushed him along the passages that led to her cabin. As soon as she'd ushered him inside she whirled and locked the door while he wrinkled his nose at the decor. "Really Vixen...I thought you had better taste." The whole room was done in black and grey, silks and velvets. A posh and pampered room, as soft as Vixen was always claiming not to be. He wandered toward a small table covered in knicknacks only to have her leap toward him.

She shoved him onto the black dan-silk comforter that covered her bed, a kiss silencing anything else he might have said. It was broken fairly quickly as Angelo pushed her back a bit. She giggled and snapped her fingers, the cabin lights going out to be replaced by a few scented candels. "I raided most of this from a pluni noble's ship. It's a bit too frilly for me but it is comfortable." She made another attempt at a kiss and was rebuffed.

"I've got three rules and you'll hear them or I'll leave." Vixen stared at him surprised as his hands moved across the soft down fur that covered her skin in an unnoticable coat, sending a tingling sensation across her body. "One, don't stroke my wings. Two, don't touch my hair. And three, watch out when you kiss me." Before Vixen could ask why, Angelo's wings beat once and the candels were snuffed.
---------------------------

The next morning dawned clear and bright, soft chimes going off in the orphans quarters and signaling the change of the pre-dawn watch. They went ignored as the orphans enjoyed the luxury that was Vixen's guest quarters. Jasper and Jade had shoved their beds together and slept with very little seperating them. Ambrois hung from an Arcex hammock just to the right of, and above Jade. The tips of his wing brushed against her side gently as he swayed. Donovan had curled around himself, nose buried deep in the scented blankets so that he wouldn't have to smell the scent of the ship's owner and Saul gurgled like a fountain, a line of drool sticking a patch of his hair to his pillow.

Ambrois woke first as a jolt of the ship sent his hammock swaying a little harder than it had been, his wingtips dragging across Jade on one side and Jasper on the other. He slowly sat up, his eyes lingering on Jade for a moment. If only she knew how many crew members he'd rebuffed, all of them seeking her. On silent feet, he slipped out of the room and headed for the galley to still the pain in his belly. Walking in he found Angelo reclining in a chair, feet on one of the big tables, nursing a bottle of something that could have eaten the paint off the walls.

He barely glanced at his father, who seemed no worse for a sleepless night spent, as he retrived a plate of mixed fruits. Yet he had to say something, or his mother would never give him peace of mind again. He walked over noticing that Angelo was muttering under his breath to his bottle, had to be the bottle since no one else was around. He stopped before Ambrois could make out what was being said, silver eyes turning to flick over his son. "Morning. Sleep well?"

"Fine thanks." It came out cooler than intended as did the words that followed it. "I trust you had a good night?"

Angelo had been about to take a drink when his son's words hit him like a cool slap. He stood, slowly, a mirthless grin stretching his features. "The events of last night or any night I spend in the company of a member of the opposite sex have been censored by the pirate parents association and may not be broadcast, recounted, or repeated without express and written consent of both of the consenting parties involved. Which means mind your own damn business son."

He brushed past a stunned Ambrois. As an afterthought he paused adding, "But to answer your question...I had an excellent night." Then he was gone, leaving his son to stare at his fruit tray and try to banish the images that came, unbidden, to mind and made the young Arcex wish with a passion that he could pluck his brain from his head and give it a thorough scrubbing. As the others filed in, each seeking their own breakfast, he couldn't answer their questions when he asked them what was wrong. Finally, sick of being jabbed with knives, forks, and digits, he blurted it out.

Saul's face turned redder than Vixen's hair while Donovan's ears plastered flat against his skull. The orphans knew how their friend felt about Vixen, Donovan was only Canin afterall...and Vixen was...well...the best looking Canin any of them had ever seen which must have made her all the more beautiful to Donovan's eyes. He was crushing hard and despite knowing, just like the rest of the group, that his chances were zero to none he couldn't help but dream and act possessive.

Jasper's reaction to the news made him expell a long breath and had Jade smacking him hard in the back of the head again and shuddering. "One more time brother and I'm going to seriously consider gelding you! One more time! I'm so sick to death of your dirty thoughts it isn't even funny!" Jasper laughed and jokingly warded off her attacks. "You're not even trying to block them are you?"

"To be honest I'm not actually trying to have them. They just keep ending up there." Again he fended off her attacks, using a plate this time to help him cover more surface area. Finally, with a huff, she gave up and stood.

"Men. I'll leave you to this tasteless discussion. I'm going to go in search of something without innuendo and tasteless jokes to read. I'm getting enough of that in my life as it is." Her departure was given a fanfair of laughter as three of the remaining orphans chuckled at both her expression and her words.

Ambrois simply stared, a bad feeling in his gut. He nearly jumped out of his skin when his mother's voice spoke in his head. Go after her. Don't let her go away mad. She'll never forget it.

You're right. Thanks Mom. Rising and excusing himself, he left the others to their convorsation and went insearch of Jade.
------------------------------

Angelo, meanwhile, had finally caught up with Vixen when she was in her captain mode. She glanced up at him, all business, wincing when she moved toward him. He raised an eyebrow. "Bit off more than you could chew last night didn't you."

She gave him a rueful smile. "It's that old adage coming back to haunt me. Be careful what you wish for...boy they weren't kidding." As Angelo chuckled Vixen snapped a few orders to her crew in the area and the busied themselves with work that didn't really need all that much attention. When she looked back at him, Vixen was all business. "Actually Angelo, I'm glad you caught me. I'd like to talk to you about that favor."

"Ah yes, this mysterious favor...and what is it actually?"

"Well, you see...I was in this part of space because of Bradogan actually." Vixen found herself cringing back as Angelo's expression flickered murderous hatred for a moment before calming again as the bottle hit his lips.

"Continue." He said in a wintry tone.

"Well...I agreed to help him out with something, a little 'retrieval' if you get my drift and I know you do. I was on my way back when you gave me that little shout out of yours and...long story short I blew off my rendevous with him. He's none too happy about that."

Angelo grinned and took another swig. "Oh I don't doubt that. Bradogan takes every inconvenience as a personal slight, be it a storm that delays his ship or the drop of rain that falls on his nose. He's always looking for that next person to kill...but last I checked he was still a gentleman in the loosest form of the word. Still an honorable enough sort. A slight delay wouldn't get you in too much trouble with him. He'll probably settle for ruining your luck for a few months."

Vixen's ears drooped. "If only. You see Angelo...Mange recently hit Bradogan pretty hard. So Bradogan decided to hit back even harder, not an easy thing to do when most people won't speak to you. I agreed to help because I think Mange is a no good son of a snag fanged bitch and I was honored to tweak his tail. But when I was late Bradogan assumed that I'd sided with Mange, despite everything I told him. He's got no quarter orders raised against me and, well, inspite of it all he is still a pirate Lord and I'm just...me."

Angelo nodded. "I see. So you want me to intercede, to tell Bradogan that you were late because you were bailing my butt out? Not going to happen. If I told anyone that the Muse were out of comission do you realize what would happen?" Vixen nodded slowly and he continued. "If we do this, we do this my way okay? Get Bradogan on the screen."
----------------------------

The craggy visage on the comm screen would have given nightmares to anyone twenty-one and younger for many years to come. It scowled at Vixen, mouth full of broken teeth ready to give her a fata tounge lashing. "Why you no good yellow livered flee infested..."

"Stop right there Bradogan. I'm not going to tolorate that kind of talk towards a lady." The face paled a bit as Angelo emerged into Bradogan's view, beads of sweat rolling up. "Now Vixen is doing me a favor and when I heard what had happened between you two I decided I needed to step in to keep her for being killed."

Bradogan's face reclaimed it's pissed off expression, a bit of a smirk buried deep in it's wrinkles. "Well Angelo Steel, as I live and breath. What brought you out of the bottom of that bottle you crawled into all those years ago? Why choose now to step out into the light? Why not just go back to drowning your sorrows? You can quit playing pirate now and go back to doing something you're really good at...like being the town drunk."

Angelo gripped his bottle hard enough to shatter it. "Well mate, you can sure talk tough when I'm just an image on a holo screen but I'm sure were it you and me over the planks of a deck you'd be a bit more mannerly wouldn't you?" He leaned forward, feral look on his face. "Look here Bradogan, there's a bigger game moving again, one that might see us all Assembled again. First time in...what...twenty years?"

Bradogan's face took on a wary look. "Really? What could be so serious? No. Don't tell me over a screen...you'll have to tell me in person."

Angelo shook his head. "I'm tied up at the moment mate...for the foreseeable future."

"As am I," snarled Bradogan. "That whelp Mange has taken a few things from me but I've no doubt Vixen has told you all about that. They're my prime concern. It may take some time to track them down."

"I'll tell you what. Why don't you two meet in Tallistown?" Both faces turned toward Vixen as she made the suggestion. Strain was in both men's eyes.

Finally Angelo nodded. "You call me when you're ready and I'll be there." Bradogan looked at Angelo sharply. Everyone knew that Angelo was no friend to the dwellers of Tallistown. Wasn't there still a large price on his head there? Yet Angelo grinned and raised an eyebrow. "Do we have an accord?"
---------------------------

Angelo stood on the bow, glowering at the stars. Vixen put a soft hand on his shoulder. "You owe me. Tallistown of all places?"

"I knew he'd agree to go there." For a long moment there was silence before Vixen spoke again. "Angelo. What you said to Bradogan...I can only think of one thing that might make you so worried." She continued into Angelo's steely silence. "But it can't be. The Articles are just a myth...arn't they?"
--------------------------------

What will Angelo do? How much does Vixen know?
-------------------------------

Okay folks...may not seem like it but this is a major DP. Probably the biggest I've yet given you. The story will turn completely different ways depending on what you say so think hard on your responses.

"Music makes you braver."

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
6104 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, she knows of the articles, but not what they are, because she obviously hasn't seen them standing before her and recognized them for what they are, unless i am confused. So angelo tells her only what he needs to get them all out of there with her help and expediency in the matter.

eminem

without the threat of death,
there is no reason to live at all

marilyn manson
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Meph...I think you are a little confused.

The pendants Jade, Jasper, and Angelo wear are the keys to not only the Articles but also to Bloody Red's treasure...but that's another chapter. And yes, there is one Article that is already featuring in the story and it's up to you whether Vixen has knowledge enough to realize what it is or not.

Hopefully that clears some things up.

Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
9744 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would she even mention it if she didn't know what it was? Of course she knows what it is!

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever seen the Holy Grail Lils? How about the Ark of the Covenant, the Spear of Destiny, or Atlantis? What about all those Elvis sightings? All I'm trying to get at is that Vixen might know something or she might be info fishing. And the whole story is hinging upon which of those she's doing and how Angelo reacts.

The Articles are a major legend with lots of secrets and some serious connections to pirate-kind. That's all I'm going to give away right now. But don't worry. Either way you'll find out about this most mysterious of treasures and why they're so important.

The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
5046 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he should tell her a little bit of a white lie. Tell her that he's been researching the Articles, and thinks he might have something on it, but he shouldn't tell her what he 'thinks he might have' on it.

Tea Cures All.
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
10229 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm going to try to give you a general impression of my opinion about this chapter. First of all, there needs to be more description. I know it's hard to describe a single boat continually, but Melville did it, so you have to try as well.

There is a lot of character development in this storygame. That's good, but don't forget about action and scene description. Don't let the focus on characters entirely dominate the story.

The dialogue seems a bit rushed. This is only my opinion, of course, but maybe you should elaborate on the dialogue so it doesn't appear contrived. If you can, you might want to add certain colloquialisms or identifiable speech to make every character unique.

Quote:
"Stop right there Bradogan. I'm not going to tolorate that kind of talk towards a lady."

tolerate. Don't forget the spell check.

Quote:
Angelo had been about to take a drink when his son's words hit him like a cool slap. He stood, slowly, a mirthless grin stretching his features. "The events of last night or any night I spend in the company of a member of the opposite sex have been censored by the pirate parents association and may not be broadcast, recounted, or repeated without express and written consent of both of the consenting parties involved. Which means mind your own damn business son."

He brushed past a stunned Ambrois. As an afterthought he paused adding, "But to answer your question...I had an excellent night."

Why is he so harsh if he's just kidding? This part is confusing.

Quote:
he couldn't answer their questions when he asked them what was wrong.

They asked him, maybe?

Uh, as for the DP, it isn't a very good DP in my consideration. You claim it is important, but is there much of a decision to make? Does Angelo meet with Bradogan and begin a very tight-ass adventure, or does he wander around in space aimlessly until his boat is fixed? I think the choice is obvious, and as for how much Vixen knows... who cares? If she needs protection against Bradogan, then she's not very dangerous.

Well, that's the way I see it, but I only read the synopsis and this last chapter, so maybe I'm missing something.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the honesty D, I needed it.

Okay, the boats havn't been discussed much because, as of yet, they've only been a means of transportation with the exception of the Muse which was described in some slight detail in a previous chappy. I had planned on that changing, especially when repaires were underway.

Secondly, Angelo wasn't kidding when he was talking to Ambrois. However, because he's Angelo and it's the way he works, he couldn't resist bragging a little.

Third...yeah the DP is crappy because I'm asking you all to make a leap in the dark. I hadn't anticipated this DP for a few more chappies but, since the poll was tied, I had to bump up my schedual. Thus, you've been deprived of some material that would really be helpful. All I can say is this. Vixen's knowledge in this case represents what is common knowledge for the common pirate. Since the Articles are something of a secret...if the common pirates know more than they're letting on it changes a few things.

And D. The kick ass adventure is coming....really it is. As soon as the Muse is repaired which should be chapter after next if all goes well.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
10415 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say she knows very little, but is kidding on she knows more than she really does.

If she is suggesting the two meet in Tallistown, it must be for a reason known only to her. I suggest he meets Bradogan, but somewhere else.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There be a poll...ye best be voting.

Mattheus
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
138 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good story.

Having only read this chapter, I am still a bit behind with what is going on overall.

I voted for the starting a discussion and being interrupted because I was thinking about Ambrois going after Jade. Maybe these two interrupt the discussion in some way.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt!

And that's a nice bit of inferring. I'll file it away for future note that you can read into a story quickly.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Galleons of the Stars All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: