Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Chapter 12: The Legend of Immortality

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> Galleons of the Stars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Chapter 12: The Legend of Immortality Reply with quote

Okay it was another tied poll. *sighs* So indecisive of you but I'm okay with that. Okay...so I just didn't want to wait for a tie breaker or make any choices myself! Enjoy!
-------------------------

Chapter Twelve: The Legend of Immortality

Angelo took a contemplative sip off his bottle, looking back at her with a single raised eyebrow. "Well that's a leap of logic if I ever heard one. I suggest a matter of Assembly and you go spouting off old sea tales." He stared at the bottle long and hard for a moment. "Unless, of course, it's just my poor brain that's unable to make the connection."

Vixen snorted and insinuated herself into his arms with all the skill of a trained professional. Turning she smiled up at him, batting her large and luminous eyes. "Oh come on Angelo. You can tell me, one of the old crew." She reached up to run a hand along his jaw, wincing when he caught her fingers and gracefully twisted out of the embrace.

"Tell you what? That you've got a head stuffed full of fairy stories? That you're off chasing rainbows again? When will you learn Vixen..." his voice trailed off. When he finally finished his statement there was a world of pain behind the thin veil of booze. "Fairy tales don't have happy endings." He took another long drink, the kind of drink a man takes when he's not too concerned with living anymore.

Vixen wanted to comfort him, really desperately for her own selfish sake wanted to comfort him, but her curiosity warred with her lust and won. "They're not a fairy tale Angelo. The Articles do exist and somebody will find them one of these days. And when they do that person is going to live forever."

Angelo chuckled. "Oh yes. As if we didn't screw enough things up during the course of our normal span of years, we've got to seek immortality!" He chuckled again, this one just as mirthless and dark as the one before. He took another swig and sat down hard on a coil of rope. "Believe me Vixen when I say sometimes it's better off to die when you're appointed. The longer you live, the more pain you collect."

"And the more pleasure! Don't go getting morose on me Angelo! And quit trying to mislead me! The Articles have to exist...He existed didn't He? And they belonged to Him." She folded her arms triumphantly as if that explained everything.

Angelo only snickered, sputtering a bit as some liquor burned into his lungs. "You can say his name Vixen. It's not going to kill you."

She looked around nervously, licking her lips as she fidgeted a bit. "Alright. I'll admit it, I'm superstitious. But aren't all sailors as a general rule." Catching the look Angelo shot her as he paused with the bottle on his lips she had to smile. "Alright, so you're the exception to the rule I'm so happy for you. But maybe it's because you're an Arcex, like he was. Maybe it's because you're like him."

Angelo was suddenly on his feet, towering over Vixen with a very hard look in his eyes. "Let's get something straight Vixen. I am NOTHING like Angel Blade."

She hissed, her ears going flat as her tail tried to curl between her legs. But when no ghostly ship suddenly appeared to blast the Amour out of the stars, no awesome figure other than that of Angelo arrived on the winds of hell, she slowly relaxed. "You've got more in common with him than you're willing to admit. You're an Arcex pirate, and a damn good one at that. You're imposing, you've yet to be beaten in battle...or if you have been you've not told anyone about it."

"Uh, love? I hate to spoil your delusions but I just had my ship blown to bits by a pissed off seventeen year old pluni girl. To top it off she nearly killed me with a single shot...just one! Me, unbeatable...please. Once again you're talking fairy tales."

Vixen wrinkled her nose. "But you must admit, when the lords are Assembled your word carries extra weight. You could be High Lord if you wanted. And you are the only one who still really keeps to the Accord of Honor."

Angelo grinned at her. "That's a life choice, hardly a hallmark of legend. It's not like I was the one that penned the Accord. That was Angel Blade who, by coincidence, happens to be the last High Lord we had. And look at where it all got him...dead." He took anther sip and grinned at her. "And speaking of his being dead, if the Articles of Immortality really did live up to the legend...don't you think he'd still be alive?"

"Ha! So you admit that the Articles do exist!" Vixen grinned and pressed her attack. "And who's to say he's not still alive? Have YOU seen his bones."

"Yes."

That one word stunned Vixen into silence for a long time. When she finally spoke again it was with a trembling voice. "So you know where his grave is?"

"Yes."

Now it was Vixen's turn to sit on the coil of rope and stare out across the star-scape that lay beyond the elegantly carved figurehead that looked somewhat like Vixen herself. "I can't believe it. I just can't. I mean...No. I'm not going to let you talk me out of them. They're still out there Angelo, all five of them. The Band, the Boots, the Belt, the Bracers, and the Blade. There are too many legends...too many descriptions. I've memorized them all by heart."

Angelo nodded. "And you assume you'll just recognize them the instant you see them, is that it? That when you do find them, you'll just be able to walk right over and pick them up?" He sighed. "What wonderful dreams you have Vixen. I wish I still had enough left in me for a few of my own. But it seems all I've got left are the nightmares a lifetime of livin' has left me."

Vixen opened her mouth and her eyes suddenly slid to the hilt of Angelo's sword and narrowed. "Draw your blade Angelo." She regretted the request when, an instant later the massive blade lay between them. She realized she was rather unarmed. But her interest was sparked as she racked her brain for the descriptions of the Blade of Immortality. "Where did you get this sword...and I want the truth Angelo. On your honor..."

With any other pirate asking for something on their honor would have been nothing short of a joke...or very nearly one. But with Angelo it guaranteed absolute honesty. Which is why the answer he gave her was so disappointing. "My father."

But hope springs eternal and Vixen pressed on. "And where did he get it?"

"He forged it."

Now Vixen's curiosity was of a different nature as she examined the high quality workmanship of the sword. She realized with a start that the metal wasn't veined with crystal, but was all the same material save that some had been treated differently and shone with a brilliant gleam. "Out of what?"

"I don't really know. I never actually asked him."

She was about to ask another question when a commotion broke out on the main deck and they both rushed back down the ship to see what was the matter. Vixen was amazed to see one of her crew, a strapping canin named Vyel, flat out on the deck with a very, very pissed Ambrois standing over him. A smile curved Vixen's lips at the sight of the young Arcex. "He looks so much like his mother...but moments like this show who's son he really is." The cold steel edge of Angelo's wing casually pressed against the side of her neck.

"So much as breath a word of it to anyone and it'll be the last time you breath lass."

"I've no intention of telling anyone Angelo. I'd hate to see you end up like Bradogan." An instant of understanding passed between them as their eyes briefly met. Angelo now knew what had preoccupied the other pirate lord so. Mange was known to leave his victims in pieces.

Meanwhile Ambrois had grabbed a fistful of the front of the canin's shirt, his free hand curling into a fist so tight that his veins became visible under his skin as his knuckles whitened. He brought the fist down with surprising force, dispatching his foe with one savage snap to the forehead. Everyone present could see the internal struggle that took place for a moment as he reigned in his temper and something like his usual calm returned. His voice was glacial when he spoke again, matching the chips of ice his blue eyes had become. "Touch her again and I won't leave you breathing."

He turned and his gaze quietly swept the other members of the crew who had swarmed in on the commotion. "That goes for the rest of you as well. Leave the girl alone." Ambrois's eyes suddenly met Angelo's and the older pirate lifted his bottle ever so slightly to toast the young man's victory.
---------------------------------

Jade couldn't stop shaking, hugging her arms to herself and too frozen to even cry. Her blouse was torn at the collar and one shoulder, her skirt ragged from the canin's short claws. Yet she shied away from Ambrois's first touch as well, some instinctive part of her brain recognizing him as more dangerous than her previous attacker had been. Then she realized who's hands were reaching out to her, who's arms were encircling her, and she finally began to sob. Ambrois led her away from the amassed eyes while Vixen barked orders that dispersed the crowd and Angelo muttered a few choice words about getting risky with his crew. That, far more than Ambrois's threat, made many spines freeze among the sailors of the Amour.

Jade couldn't figure out why Jasper wasn't responding to her, hadn't come when he'd felt her mental cries. "Why?" She muttered into Ambrois's shoulder time and again. She could feel his puzzled eyes on her, the way his arm tightened.

"I don't know Jade. You'd think this wouldn't happen. I mean with Angelo being Angelo and our being not only his crew but guests of the captain..."

"Jasper..." She whispered and the squeeze that followed let her know that Ambrois understood. She looked up to find his blue eyes troubled, his hair disheveled. A tiny cut on his knuckle bled and, for some reason, her brain fixed on the image of the bright silver blood as being wrong. There was something wrong with that...not that he was bleeding...but something her fractured thoughts couldn't work out wasn't right. But he was bleeding and he was bleeding for her, not just his knuckle but the angry scratched on his face and shoulder as well.

There was the sudden sound of a canin's laboured breathing, the sound of weary but rapid footfalls. Jade found herself thrust behind Jasper as his wings flared out wide to protect her from whatever foolish sailor was about to attempt to exact his revenge for what had transpired. She pressed her face into her hands, unwilling to see any more violence, feel any more violence. Jasper's pain was making her dizzy, his bruises pairing with her own painfully.

"Whoa! Ambrois!" The familiar voice made Jade's heart thump with relief and she turned to see Ambrois slowly folding his wings, a slightly sickened look on his face as Donovan cringed in front of him. "Easy man!"

"Sorry...I just..."

"Understandable. I mean hell...you should have seen Jasper." Donovan's eyes narrowed as Ambrois turned to help Jade up. "You okay Jade."

"Jasper?" She croaked back at him, her voice painfully locked with worry for her brother. He was hurt and worse she couldn't feel him. They'd put him under again and she felt...lonely in her head.

Donovan's face twisted in disgust. "Well we knew something was up when he stood up and tipped the table over, vaulting it on his way out of the room to get to you. Saul and I went right after him because...well you know the kind of trouble Jasper can get into and you know how he needs backup. Well we found him in the hall with this sailor...big guy. Huge!" Donovan extended himself to his full height and gestured to a shoulder span nearly double his own.

"Well he'd blocked Jasper and just kinda chuckled. Didn't say much other than taunt Jasper...say how Angelo was really scrapin' the bottom for his crew. Then when Jasper asked him to move so he could get past...he just started swinging. Man...even when Jasper went after Angelo I don't think I've ever seen him like that. He was...shit I don't know how he was but I can tell you he learned a thing or two from that fight with Ambrois's dad."

Neither of them missed the flinch Ambrois gave. "Not too loud Van...walls have ears. And I take it Jasper's laid up again?"

Donovan nodded. "Yeah. He woulda won but...well I'd side with inexperience on this one. That damned motherless sonova...well that sailor got in a sneaky blow that laid him out." Donovan suddenly grinned. "But Saul and I...we finished him off. We got him back." Then the canin youth's ears laid back down. "Still, now Jasper's all stretched out in sickbay with enough tranq on board to keep a Trumorin Feckbeast under for a week."

Jade's head swam, grateful to know why her brother hadn't been able to reach her, terrified with worries about his health. She wasn't able to clearly separate who'd been dealt which blow at the moment. All she could concentrate on was the fact she was safe, Ambrois like a bulwark against the world lending her his strength and warmth.

"Jade," Donovan began. "Is there anything..."

"No. I'm...okay for now. I've got Ambrois looking out for me...Jasper needs you more Van. Please...will you and Saul..." She broke off as horrible thoughts of what vengeful sailors could do entered her mind. She was so upset she missed it as Donovan looked to Ambrois for approval, missed Ambrois's slight nod in reply. But she was profoundly grateful as Donovan took off again in the direction he'd come and Ambrois shifted more of her weight onto him.

"Lean on me, it's still a ways to our quarters." She did as he asked, pressing closer and closer to him as they slowly made their way to her small room. It was partially because she needed his help but she'd be lying if she said that was the only reason she wanted to be so close to him. When they reached her quarters she wanted to cry all over again as he pulled away, opening the door and ushering her inside.

Once the door was secured Ambrois put Jade into bed, pulling the blankets over her just as Jasper would have. He started toward the door and glanced back at her his voice almost flat it was so controlled. "I'll lock it and be right outside. I doubt they'll want to attempt anything then."

Jade nodded, not the least bit reassured, as Ambrois started toward the door again, relieved when he turned back again. "Are you sure you're not hurt? He didn't..." Worry and a deep current of anger were present, the worry touching and the fury frightening. When had Ambrois, St. Ambrois, developed such a mean streak.

Still, Jade stammered out an answer. "No. You...you stopped him." She sat up and quickly covered the distance, throwing herself against him. "I can't be alone right now. I just can't. And I can't be cooped up in this room." She looked up at him with tears sparkling on her lashes. "Damn the bastards. Let's go up on deck and watch the worlds go by. I heard something about us making planetfall..." The ship vibrated and bounced before she was done speaking, tossing the pair of them onto the floor.

For a moment they remained there before Ambrois quickly scrambled up with an unsettled cough. "Yes. Let's go on deck."
-------------------------------------
They'd missed splashdown and only the clinging droplets of salt water on the rigging and the wet sag of the glimmering golden solar sails belied the quantity of spray the impact of the ships' hulls on the ocean surface must have made. It was a testimony to Angelo's engineering skills, and perhaps his helmsman-ship as well, that the Muse was still neatly tethered to the Amour and floating docilely behind it. Ambrois scowled around as they emerged on deck, Jade's silent shadow as she walked over to the elegantly carved rail with it's sea foam stylized scroll work and leaned upon it with a sigh that was very much like a stifled sob.

With Jade stared intently off into the sunset and the wind playing with her ruby tresses a silence descended. Ambrois stood a ways off, staring at her just as intently. The sunset poured across her, tinting Jade and the world around her as if seen through rose colored glasses although the very thought made Ambrois shudder. How could he even be thinking like this? Then again, he thought as he studied her lithe figure, how could he not?

He ran a hand through his hair and tore his eyes away from Jade, forcing himself to focus on the ship instead. After being on the Muse, he could already see deficiencies in the Amour. Her planking fit together surely enough, but he could see the places where less than stellar repairs had been made. The lines of her hull seemed ungainly and awkward even though his brain acknowledge her to be a ship of fine caliber. She had a shallow draft for a galleon and a low profile allowing her to maneuver in less water and with greater speed. In that respect she was like the Muse.

He glanced into the shrouds and for a brief moment locked eyes with one of the grizzled Canin sailors there. He gave a wolfish grin back, revealing pointed canine teeth that must have been surgically altered for that shape. Ambrois didn't even realize his wings were mantled until a flair from the crystal around his neck brought his attention to it. He'd wondered why his mother hadn't already scolded him for his behaviour.

Because I knew this was going to happen. I'm not confined to this crystal you know, just attached to it for the moment. And even if people can't hear me, I can hear them. I knew it was dangerous for the girl to go off on her own and I knew she means something to you. Although I didn't realize how much until today. My little boy is...

Will you stop it! I'm not anyone's little boy. Hell, I'm neither a boy, nor little by the definition of either word. I'm...

----------------------------------

"I wonder what they're talking about?"

"Who?" Vixen asked quizzically as she followed Angelo's line of sight. The two of them were standing near the wheel, Angelo having steered them in to splashdown. "The girl doesn't seem to be saying anything...nor does your...never mind." The last word had been uttered under the threat of a death glare from Angelo.

A few moments passed before Vixen spoke again, depressing the button that cut the Muse loose from the towlines. "Well...welcome home Angelo. You leaving in the morning?"

"No. I'm going ashore. You're leaving. See, thanks to you I don't just have to patch up my ship...I've got to patch up my crew." He shook his head. "That wasn't very hospitable of ye love."

She shoved him. "Somebody has to keep you mostly out of trouble."
---------------------------------

The next morning found the six of them standing on the shore watching the Amour take flight and exit the planet's atmosphere. For a moment Angelo merely squinted into the sunrise after the fading spark, then he clapped his hands together and rubbed them fiercely. "Alright, let's get moving. I've got to get the systems up and running before I can bring the Muse into her berth. And I've got to get you all settled in for the duration of repairs."

Donovan perked his ears up. "Oh? Where'll we be staying?"

"My home." Angelo said slowly. "Which is only about a day's hike that way." Everyone followed the slim man's pointing finger and groaned. Saul in particular disliked the route they were to follow.

"Not another frigging jungle! What the hell is it with pirates and tropical settings I ask you!" He turned big eyes on Angelo. "Do we have to walk?"

"Unless you can fly...or I can try clicking my heels together thrice and saying 'There's no place like home.' But for some copyrighted reason I don't think that'll work."

With a few snickers all around, the groaning orphans set off after the unusually cheerful pirate who was singing a song who's chief words seemed to be swearing. Yet Ambrois in particular couldn't shake the feeling that something huge was about to happen.
-------------------------------------

What is that huge thing?
------------------------------------

Okay it's long and involved but I hope you enjoyed!

"Music makes you braver."

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:12 am; edited 7 times in total
CurlyBear
Tourist

Topics: 0
Location: On one of a group of islands of the coast of Asia. Guess which one.

Items
Legends
91 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
some instinctive part of her brain recognizing him as more dangerous that her previous attacker had been

than

Just thought I'd point it out.

I was hated my entire life, and things only got worse when my sister told me she hated me, too. I walked away, and was rescued by three travelers. That night, we were hunted and separated, but we found each other in the end. I met my sister again in a town quite similar to our own. She apologized with such regret that I found the heart to forgive her. We're now together, but things will never be the same.

Read Strength Within, by Adalia.
Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
6104 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do you tempt me so, Rai? the huge thing, the thing that is creating a tremendous sense of excitement deep down in Ambrois's body? The thing that is creating such tension that he feels it mounting, and he eagerly awaits its' explosive outlet?

He is going to see his father's home, and possibly learn more about the man than his mother could possibly explain to him. Perhaps more will be explained about the twins also.

I do have one little question though: how are they getting jasper and donovan through the jungle while they are laid up with injuries? perhaps more time passed than i thought?
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Topics: 5

Items
Legends
2410 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good read. I enjoyed it. Smile

Maybe they will find someone else at Angelo's home? An intruder in his home? That would add a new character, now that Vixen is away.

Beyond Good and Evil
Could it be that being good is not good at all?
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
10229 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With any other pirate asking for something on their honor would have been nothing short of a joke...or very nearly one. But with Angelo it garunteed absolute honesty.

Really? This seems like a big weakness; Angelo can't even not answer a question... Maybe you should clarify about this.

Quote:
Let's go up on deck and watch the worlds go by. I heard something about us making planetfall...

Quote:
Jade stared intently off into the sunset, the wind playing with her ruby tresses.

Quote:
For a moment Angelo merely squinted into the sunrise after the fading spark,

There was an insufficient attempt at description in this chapter. Those two sentences comprised most of the description. You need more in order to create a setting; the picture, although very pretty, isn't going to cut it.

One last thing: Why does the crew attempt to rape Jade? Isn't it a bit reckless, considering that the crew must know about Angelo's fury? It seems a bit contrived, and no explanations are even offered as to why it happened. The reason is implied, but in this reader's opinion, it isn't sufficient. I can't imagine why the crew would risk a rape when they face severe punishment for their actions.

As for the DP, something huge... Angelo's house is actually Angel Blade's old secret residence, before he died, of course, and someone finds a hidden clue in the house as to the location of the Articles (btw, it sounds like the Articles of Confederation).
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
10415 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a little bit confused after the POV switched to Jade. The interactions and histories between all the characters are complex, and I find it difficult to follow at times.

Still I enjoyed the first part of the chapter, it was well written.

As for the DP - the something big is going to happen RIGHT NOW, and it is going to delay their getting to Angelo's house - maybe until later in the story.

I think it will be some kind of storm, and they will have to make alternative arrangements. Maybe set up camp for the injured ones whilst the stronger ones press on alone.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...I went back and edited this chapter heavily. It's been rather lengthened with Jade's POV being clarified and more description of both the Amour and the sunset moment added.

As for the attempt on Jade. The why's and wherefors of that are present in forthcoming plotting so you'll just have to sit back and anticipate that move. I can't reveal the whole plot now...why would you want to keep reading?

The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
5046 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a ship lands on the planet? And it's the ship of a group of asassins who've been following Angelo, waiting for him to reveal his home and/or where the articles can be found.

Tea Cures All.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay! The poll is going, please be voting!

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Galleons of the Stars All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: