Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Chapter 13: The Abode of the High Lord

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> Galleons of the Stars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Chapter 13: The Abode of the High Lord Reply with quote

Okay my perceptive readers. This was actually going to happen anyway, but you wanted it sooner rather than later so here you go! Enjoy!
--------------------------

Chapter 13: The Abode of the High Lord

The orphans sat on the beach, watching the sunrise over the ocean. It had become something of a ritual for them, a brief moment of peace after breakfast and before their daily arse-kicking began. It was a moment to reinforce the ties that bound them all together, brothers and sister, comrades in arms, life long friends. And, of course, it was a moment away from Angelo who was always busy doing something else at this time of day, though in eighteen months since they'd first arrived here the orphans hadn't been able to figure out what. Other than that the slim man was always winded and sweaty by the time he showed up to collect them for their routine.

The first rays of the dawn struck the massive cliff face that reared above them, pouring along the wind-carved contours of the rocky outcrop like a lover's touch. They highlighted the reds and golds, the buff cremes and the subtle oranges, shadows collecting in the discreet niches that were windows and doors, lingering on ledges that were balconies and outdoor walkways. It never failed to amaze them, this vista, this awesome dwelling. They were still as struck by it's lonely beauty as they had been when, stumbling wounded, sweaty and at each other's throats from the dense jungles that surrounded it.

The sounds of the surf breaking against the foot of the other side of the cliff and the morning bellows of the sea dwelling beasts accompanied the sunrise like a natural symphony. It was a cleansing thing and the orphans stood, blissfully enraptured, each thinking their own thoughts, save Jasper and Jade who mused together over things past and present. Then their reverie was shattered by the sound breaking glass as Angelo hurled his now empty bottle onto the rocks a few feet away.

"As impressive as she ever was mates, but she'll still be here long after we're gone so there's better uses of our time to be had are there not?" The orphans, their heart rates beginning to slow as they each wondered where the hell the slim man had come from and why he delighted in sneaking up on them, sighed discontentedly. "No none of that! I don't work you any harder than I work myself, quite a bit less actually, and you don't hear me complaining none."

He enjoys pain too much to complain. Jasper thought at Jade who merely nodded.

Actually I'm not all that fond of it mates. Pain is...well...painful. I'd much prefer a good night with a wench. Jade elbowed her brother as Jasper liberally applied the heel of his hand to his forehead. They'd both forgotten the hardest lesson they'd learned, namely that the slim man could and often did eavesdrop on their private conversations. It's for your own good mates. Can't have you relying too much on this form of communication in battle. I'm not the only psychic in the universe and neither are you two.

Striding around to the front of the group, his footsteps slightly wobbly and drunken, he addressed them all with a smile. "Now I've set out some books for you all in the Library and I'd like to see you finish most of them. And by that I mean all of them."

"Not fair man!" Saul shouted, giving his best sixteen year old glare to Angelo. But he was still more than a foot shorter than the pirate who was now grinning down at him in a dangerous manner.

"Well mate. Would you rather have extra fighting lessons?"

Saul instantly paled and took a deep swallow. "Ah, no thank you sir. I'll be attending to my studies right shortly." Angelo chuckled mirthlessly while the other orphans hid smirks of their own. Their mirth was short lived though as, after a strenuous climb up the cliff face since Angelo had no stairs, they followed the wide passages to the most awesome room in the whole complex...the library.

Ambrois had almost died the first time he'd seen this room, as it was he'd collapsed from the effort it had taken to it. It was a perfect example of a traditional Arcex architectural style, a massively vaulted room with plenty of room that an Arcex should have been able to take off and fly...had that still been a genetic possibility. Indeed, the faintest of lofty ledges could be seen way up near the top of the room, a landing ledge no doubt leading to a room that held untold mysteries in the minds of the orphans since it was one of many places in Angelo's home they couldn't get to.

They all found it strange that a flightless Arcex like Angelo was living in a home obviously designed for an Arcex that wasn't so hampered. Yet any time they'd questioned him about it he never said much, only that there was great history in the stones. But all of them could see it was more than that, he had a deeper connection that not even Cele could explain. And it was always most evident here, in the library, where books, record cubes, holo tiles, and info disks lined the walls as high as the eye could see. Saul had often tried climbing the racks of them but, to his great and utter dismay, found that they stopped a good twelve feet from the mysterious landing ledge and the expanse of stone that made up the distance was silky smooth.

But now they were each ushered to one of the desks that were scattered about the ground floor of the library, neat piles of materials on each desk. Angelo watched and waited until the were all settled and giving at least the pretense of working diligently. "Right then, I'm doing some circuit repairs on the main weapons systems so weapons practice might be a little late today. Don't take that as an excuse to forget about it though mates. You won't be happy if you do." With a wink and wicked smile to punctuate his words he swept out of the room like a silver breeze.

The orphans all glanced at each other, Ambrois the first to begin delving into the massive pile heaped on his desk. With any luck he could have much of it browsed before lunch. Jade wasn't far behind, quickly opening a book and quietly urging Jasper to do the same. After much grumbling he did as his sister asked with Donovan following suit. But Saul let out an explosive breath and grinned impishly. "Who's up for more exploring?"

Ambrois groaned. "Did a broken rib and busted ankle teach you nothing?" He asked as the slim youth rose to his feet in a catlike manner.

Again Saul grinned at him. "Nope." He cracked his fingers and rolled his head from side to side to pop his neck. "I take it that you're out then. Jade? Jasper?" Both of them mutely shook their heads, Jasper snorting but refraining from saying out loud how pointless Saul's searches were. With a desperate look Saul turned pleading eyes on his longtime best friend. "Donovan? You'll come won't you."

Donovan turned a puppy eyed stare on the other three but they completely ignored him. With a resigned sigh the seventeen year old Canin youth shoved his chair back and stood. "Somebody's got to go for help when you bust yourself up again. But don't expect me to go crawling through those dammed air shafts Saul. The fur on my shoulders still hasn't grown back." It was true. Another eighteen months had added another pair of inches to the already stocky Canin's shoulders. Other changes were present in the lightening of both skin and fur, with only light swipes of brown in the otherwise ashen mop atop his head and a newly fair complexion.

As he padded off behind Saul, who hadn't changed much eighteen months save that he'd gained another three inches making him a whole 5'8", Ambrois and the twins watched them go with slightly irritated expressions. Now Angelo was going to make their life hell when it came time to practice with him, just because Saul had gotten restless feet again. "I hope he finds something worth it this time." Jasper briefly muttered before all three were totally consumed by their studies.
----------------------------------

Some hours had passed and Saul was now to be found back in the same dank passages that had captivated his attention last time he'd been bitten by the exploring bug. They were obviously deep in the rock because of the moisture that was present in the air, the coolness of it. Glowing veins of the same mineral the lit the rest of the complex were present here as well, unpolished and faint, covered with many years worth of grit and grime. Saul had a torch in his hand, the illumination of the single crystal bulb bolstering the conditions in the passages from late to early twilight. Donovan snorted behind him. "I'm not real fond of it down here."

"You smell something?" The excitement was plain in Saul's voice.

"Well Angelo for one, thick and heavy." Donovan took another sniff. "And recent. Probably early this morning." The Canin shuddered. He'd never really gotten used to the smell of the pirate and was liking it less and less as Angelo drank less and less booze. Without the ever present scent of drink it allowed other things to come forward...the sharp smell of metal and the tang of blood.

"That all? Just Angelo? Hell you smell him every day Van."

"And wish I didn't but it's not just that. There's fainter smells down here too, the rock traps them. Just like I can still smell Ambrois's scent as strong as if he'd been here a month ago." That comment had Saul turning wide eyes.

"But...impossible. He hasn't been down here with us since that first time! And that was right after we got here!"

"I know, I know. But it's there."

For a long moment the two explorers stood still, then Saul got that impish grin on his face again. "Maybe this is where Angelo hides all his loot! Find out where his scent is thickest and let's track him." Saul rubbed his hands together, ignoring the way Donovan's ears went flat with dismay and brushing off the comments that it might not be such a good idea. Saul's enthusiasm was undaunted and he urged his companion on until Donovan had no choice but to agree.

Once again they slowly proceeded into the tunnels, Donovan on all fours to follow the trail better, Saul right by his side. It was lucky for them both that Donovan was so close to the ground and in the lead, otherwise Saul might well have fallen down the shaft they discovered and such a fall would have been the end of him.

It was a massive pit, probably thirty feet wide, maybe thirty five and deeper than they could guess since neither of them wanted to drop the torch. Holding the torch aloft the could see the blank wall that rimmed the edge of the pit, following it all the way around to where the path met it's remaining edge "Well, I guess he went down from here."

"No shit." Saul said sarcastically as he unwound the coil of rope from his shoulder. "Here," he said handing Donovan one end. "Tie this off on yourself and don't let me fall. If I run out of rope before I reach the end then I'll come back so we can go get more. If I reach the bottom I'll call up and let you know, alright?" Not waiting for Donovan's nod he began to climb down the wall of the pit only to have the foot holds give way to a smooth surface before half his body was in. "Shit, you're going to have to lower me down."

"Saul, listen to me. This isn't a good idea, we should get the others at least."

"No way Donovan. We may never get this chance again, I promise I just want to see what's down there, you can pull me up as soon as I do." Reluctantly the canin agreed and began to lower Saul down. Saul did his best not to squirm, knowing it couldn't be easy for his friend to slowly lower him the ever lengthening distance. Just as he was beginning to seriously worry about the muscles in Donovan's arms, he hit bottom. The rock was so black the torch didn't even glitter off of it, making it seem like the darkness went on forever. Saul took an instinctive gulp, some inner sense telling him something wasn't right.

He held the torch out in front of him and began to walk, gingerly testing each step before committing his full weight. A ghostly glow emanated from in front of him slowly resolving into a glowing pair of heavily runed doors. His resolve suddenly failed and he faltered, not wanting to open the doors without knowing what those smudged symbols meant. Scrambling back towards the edge, he tugged on the rope. They'd need Ambrois for this...his brain probably had the answers tucked away in it.
---------------------------------

At the same time Donovan was hauling Saul up from the pit, the other three had dispersed in search of the lunch their bellies were already demanding. Jasper was actually reading and eating at the same time, having found the cube of star charts Angelo had set out for him engrossing. He was currently swapping between that cube and the pirate record cube he'd gotten from Yunni what seemed like a lifetime ago, plotting out the places where battles of interest to him had taken place. He casually chewed a sandwich as he plotted patterns of pirates he'd never met, and a few he had, and one he'd learned more than he wanted to know about.

Jade, on the other hand, was looking for Ambrois. She had a nice lunch made up and placed delicately in a basket and had steeled her nerves. She didn't know why she felt so nervous, it was only Ambrois after all. Then she caught sight of him, standing on the highest point of the cliff with the sun striking him full on, like some sculpted angel come to earth. The gentle wind toyed with his hair and her heart slammed painfully in her chest. She took a moment to strengthen her shields even though she knew Jasper was too absorbed in what he was doing to care.

Taking a deep breath she took a step forward and screamed as a lose piece of turf gave way under her foot, setting her off balance and sliding toward the sea four hundred feet below. Suddenly, her fall was stopped by a pair of strong hands around her wrist, Ambrois's blue eyes staring into her own as he hauled her up. Jasper's worry burned through her mind and she took a few moments to assure him everything was fine, waiting for him to get back to his work before she tried to pursue Ambrois any further. It took Jasper some time to become absorbed again but Jade didn't mind, content to lean against Ambrois until the sun fell out of the sky. But he broke the embrace all too soon, grinning down at her. "You've got to watch where you step up here. If I fall I can glide down, you're a whole 'nother thing entirely. Speaking of which...what are you doing up here?"

Jade sheepishly hefted the basket which her hand had remained stubbornly clamped to during her moment. The petals of the blooming trees and flowers that made up the garden that covered the clifftop blew around them in the wind, framing his face as he looked at her. "You could have just tried shouting for me."

Jade laughed. "But I'd much rather eat lunch up here where there's a view than cooped up in the library. Did you find anything interesting today, I know Jasper's absorbed." If Ambrois noticed Jade's nervous, quick change of subject he said nothing about it, merely went along with it.

"Not from the books he set out for me but I did find something extremely interesting in that old manuscript I had Saul grab from Up Top for me." By Up Top he meant the high shelves in the library, books Angelo had asked them not to touch. And now, Jade surmised, Ambrois knew the reason.

"What?"

Ambrois stared back out to sea. "This entire place. It doesn't really fit Angelo. That's because it wasn't built by him." He turned back to her with an unfathomable look on his place. "Jade...this was Angel Blade's home." He gestured around him with a trembling hand. "This garden, these waters, this entire world! He lived here, he worked here...and Jade," his voice dropped lower than was possible. "Jade I think he died here."

Jade sat on the rock hard, feeding the information to Jasper who fed her equally interesting information in return. "Ambrois. Saul and Donovan have found something in the deeper tunnels. If what you said is true, I think it's time to go to Angelo about things."
-----------------------------------------

What do they do now?
--------------------------------

Humm, so the plot thickens. A clue has been found, or is it merely another mystery? Either way I hope you liked it.

"Music makes you braver."

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:21 am; edited 6 times in total
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
9744 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*squeals in delight* OH GOODY! More piratey legends and lore... and more trouble to get into ... LOVING IT!

Now is Angel Blade's body/loot behind the two doors I wonder?

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
6104 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about they find more books? just to make it seem not really worth while, yet through reading the books, they gain knowledge of the artifacts and a map that would lead them to the objects?

good chappy rai! very much enjoying this tale.

eminem

without the threat of death,
there is no reason to live at all

marilyn manson
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Topics: 5

Items
Legends
2410 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That scene where Ambrois saved Jade... ah, heart melting. Wink

Now, I think they shouldn't say anything. They need some solid proof that Angelo was hiding something, and it would be best if they find proof other than that script from Up Top. After all, they weren't supposed to be there at all.

Beyond Good and Evil
Could it be that being good is not good at all?
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
10229 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then their reverie was shattered by the sound breaking glass as Angelo hurled his now empty bottle onto the rocks a few feet away.

I noticed a greater number of small mistakes than usual. Don't rush- give your chapters the time they need.

This chapter had more description, and I especially enjoyed the cave scene, although in my consideration it needs a little more special attention in detail. It seems unlikely that Donovan could have the strength to lower Saul; it seems as though the author made it that way to simplify things. Let the characters speak and act for themselves. Once again, don't rush things.

As for the DP- it is once again inadequate because it's too general in its implications- what I mean to say is that it hasn't enough specific substance to enrapture the mind.

Anyway, now they use a diversion tactic. Jade keeps Angelo busy and the rest of them explore the weird cave. If they run into trouble, Jasper can communicate telepathically with Jade and Angelo can save them...
Kirranna
Resident

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
616 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, loved it, as I expected to. I liked the scene where Ambrois saves Jade from falling but i feel like you could do more with it, draw it out so it is more frightening, or more heart melting as Cy said.

As for the DP: Ambrois should visit the glowing doors, see what he can make of the markings, but not go in. Instead they should do some late night researching to see if the door and Angel Blade are connected, because some of the markings on the door hinted at a bad consequence to anyone who opened the door for the wrong reasons....

Last edited by Kirranna on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. Donovan isn't human, he's a Canin. Canin have the greatest physical prowess of all four races. I realize I've never really outlined this but there hasn't been the right time in the story to point it out.

As for the rushed-ness, I'll agree with that. And the late night writing once again resulting in errors. I'll canvas back over the tale soon and see if I cannot fix things.

The Meaning Of Fear
Respected Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
2439 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally! I caught up on this! *Ticks Galleons off from a mile-long list*

This is a great story, Rai. A lot of minor mistakes (Take all of the mistakes from this SG, quadruple it, and you have the amount of mistakes Sax would have in one chapter) about, though. You might want to run your earlier chapters through Word or read them through to check for mistakes.

I was kinda confused with the 18 months time-jump you did... I don't mind it too much, but interludes like these are usually only around half a year or take place inbetween book 1 & 2, etc.

The relationships in this story seem a bit tangled up to me, but you'll probably un-weave (Sorry, MW) them in time...

Confront Angelo, face to face, just like how Jasper did it the first time, but instead of going with rage boiling their brains, go calmly but firmly... show him they're not gonna budge but they aren't just being nosey, unlike that damn whore who shot him.

Finally I'd like to take this opportunity to stamp Underdark's ending into the dust again (Yes I know you have a sequel going, or so you say, but still)... Please don't do that to this SG... Make it at the very least 30 chapters long. Underdark could've gone on for months.

~You friendly (I don't bite... I prefer dirtying my HANDS thank you very much...) neighbourhood physical and more than likely verbal incarnation of Fear,

Meanie

Doors to the truth, an SG where a boy is propelled into worlds he is unfamiliar with. He crosses many worlds, and sees many things that force him to throw away his innocence, once, and for all. Fourth Chapter, out for viewing!
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*laughs*

Meanie, UnderDark ended because I was frankly sick of writing it at that time. I am editing and in the process expanding it.

Galleons, however, could easily reach 40-50+ installments since it's got a lot of tale telling to do. Look at it this way...so far all they've done is go from orphanage to ship to planet where a villian emerges, and are just now begining their training.

The main treasure is still slightly mysterious, they havn't even met the main villain in person, and there's been relatively little fighting or seeking of booty (both kinds heh).

There's a lot of wind left in these sails yet. Don't go thinking I'm suddenly going to end this in four chapters...I don't think it's possible. Even if they were 5-6 parts long each.

Deus Ex Machina

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new here, and so far this is the first storygame I've read. Let me just say that I'm enjoying it immensely! I think that behind the doors should be some kind of catacomb where the body of Angel Blade lies. (I think someone may have suggested this already, but I think it would be a cool idea).

I look forward to reading more!
The Meaning Of Fear
Respected Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
2439 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Welcome to IF!

While we all wait for the new chappy, why don't we try to find a nickname for ya?

hmm...

How bout DEM?

Sorry for the Off topicness...

Doors to the truth, an SG where a boy is propelled into worlds he is unfamiliar with. He crosses many worlds, and sees many things that force him to throw away his innocence, once, and for all. Fourth Chapter, out for viewing!
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Deus and I'm glad you're enjoying Galleons.

Now as for suggestions, the poll will be going up directly after this post. Votes should be cast directly after that.

The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
5046 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted. By the way, the first option is repeated.

Oh, and Off Topic

Welcome and I believe we should call you Goddo.

Tea Cures All.
Mattheus
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
138 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great chapter.

Really enjoying the story so far.

Confront Angelo about everything and see what happens. Maybe it is all part of their training.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
10415 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just caught up on this one. Very descriptive and colourful. Whilst the reason for the time lapse escapes me, (especially when the last chapter ended with something 'huge' about to happen and we dont find out about it for another 18 months) it did give the chance to recap on the characters and their relationships. I had become a little lost in that. Things seem much more straightforward now.

There is rather a large amount of spelling errors there that can easily be fixed with a spell checker, and I found them a little offputting. Still, very enjoyable!

...and voted. Smile
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. One last time, I this actually IS NOT based on POTC. Sadly they came out first and I do listen to the soundtrack while writing this...which is probably where most of the crossove comes from. Angelo is not Jack. Jack actually cares about people, Angelo does not. Wait and see what I mean...

As for the lack of description on the races, Galaxy, and general background info sadly there just hasn't been time yet in the helter skelter pace of the story. I told you guys I'd be writing this at a faster pace than I usually did so what gets left behind? The details I love and enjoy. Don't worry, I'm working them in as I progress so don't be too surprised to find that in the next chapter a few of your questions about anatomy are discussed or maybe it'll be history...havn't decided which yet.

Also I don't have Word or any of those cute little word processing programs that make life easy. However, due to all your comments and my own being fed up with the little errors, I've downloaded some new software that should help me.

I'll start it on the next chapter* so lemme know if you notice a difference!

*And please forgive me if I forget because I am writing these usually coming off a long shift at work and in the middle of the night.

Kirranna
Resident

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
616 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice disclaimer there Rai Wink

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Galleons of the Stars All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: