Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Chapter 18: The Meeting

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> Galleons of the Stars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Chapter 18: The Meeting Reply with quote

Okay folks. You've been ever so paitent, now it's time to give you something to sink your teeth into. Enjoy!
Caution: Language and some Adult Content
--------------------------

Chapter Eighteen: The Meeting

Angelo woke them all at dawn with a roughness perhaps deserved after the revelations of the previous night. Hauling them bodily from their beds by whatever appendage he happened to grab, the impact upon the cold stone floor more than enough to jar all thoughts of sleep from their benumbed brains. "We set sail." He said simply, giving them no inkling of what was to come, only that they would be leaving this place for the first time in four years.

He kept them busy, barking orders in a harsh voice, every mistake met with a sharp rebuke and a physical blow. Obviously Angelo was not an easy captain to sail under, his years of sever training now beginning to make sense in the eyes of the four young people who labored to carry out his commands. Crates of food and synthetic nutrients had to be loaded and stowed, water pumped into the cooling and hydration systems. Medical supplies loaded into the sick-bay and personal effects gathered.

There was one good thing about crewing under Angelo, they quickly discovered. A ship the size of the Muse should normally have had a crew of fifteen to twenty. Currently running a crew of five, counting Angelo, left plenty of living space. They had just finished stowing their gear in their chosen compartments when Angelo strode down the corridor. Taking a look at the rooms Jade and Ambrois had picked, he shook his head. "Were it just up to me as a man, I'd let things lie. As your father Ambrois and the man your father asked to watch over you Jade, I have cause to be worried. But it's because I'm your captain that I'm ordering you to switch that arrangement. What you do in port is one thing, what you do on board is another."

And he'd waited until the rearrangements were completed to his satisfaction, shaking his head at the grumbling. "No complaints or I'll impose even harsher measures. I've sailed with mixed race and mixed gender crews for a long time, I'm rather skilled in keeping folks apart when I've got to be."

But all that, all the preparations and four years worth of repairs, was about to pay off as Angelo sent them up into the rigging. With movements more studied than practiced they managed to unfurl the sails and cast off the ropes. Angelo's voice cracked like a whip, driving their movements to even greater speeds, making them draw forth their best efforts. He paced back and forth on the deck, calling out mistakes as he spotted them, his expression stormy. Finally he took up his position behind the wheel, just as the wind caught the sails and tugged them forward on the water.

Saul was as far forward as he could be, Donovan leaning idly against the rail. Jade shot Ambrois a look as he passed her on his way to Angelo's side and he could only shrug in response. A slight grin curved Angelo's lips as they picked up speed, his eyes flicking from the water he was steering them across to his console and back. He cleared his throat, gaining all their attentions. "Lads and lass, I feel it only fair to warn you there's a slight chance we'll never make it aloft."

"Wha..." Saul began but Angelo raised his voice to speak over the youth.

"I did some modifications on the engines, expounded on some research I'd been doing prior to this little...mishap. If I've figured it right, the Muse should burn fuel 25% more efficiently and be faster by a margin of 12%."

"And if you're wrong." Ambrois asked in a quiet but terse tone.

"We blow up." Angelo said simply.

Saul instantly hit the deck on both knees, fingers laced in front of him as his eyes shot skyward. "Oh holy Lord I'm sorry for all the horrible things I've done, said, and thought in my life. I'm sorry for dropping Ambrois's toothbrush in the toilet and not washing it before I put it back...I'm sorry for spying on Jade when she was in the shower...and I'm sorry for..."

Angelo pushed the button, a shudder running through the ship as the massive engines began to warm up, power cells arcing to deliver the means needed to drive them into the stars. With a noise indescribable to those who have not heard it, the massive engines ignited. Blue fire sparked from the numerous channels along the Muse's hull and they were catapulted into the air so quickly the deck seemed to jump out from under their feet, sending all but Angelo sprawling. Angelo was spared only because he still gripped the wheel tightly, maniac laughter spilling forth as a look of exhilaration crossed his features. "Now THIS is living!"

"Crazy bastard," Saul muttered getting to his feet. "Could have killed us all." The young man suddenly found himself hitting the deck again for a very different reason as pain exploded in a very tender region of his anatomy. Jade stood there, one leg returning to the deck after delivering the blow, angry expression on her face.

"That's for spying on me you little pervert." She said before stalking away.

With his forehead and knees pressed against the deck, both hands otherwise occupied, Saul blinked the tears out of his eyes. "It just doesn't pay to pray."
---------------------------

The course was set for Tallistown, the autopilot engaged, and all anyone had to look forward to was the monotony of the voyage. Angelo figured with the new engines it would take them maybe fourteen days, two weeks, total to reach their destination. Which was fourteen days, two weeks, of nothing but drilling on the parts of the ship and their correct uses. Top sail, main sail, shrouds, capstan, and a million and a half other pieces were pointed out and drilled into their heads with ruthless precision.

They were run through their exercises until they were ready to drop from exhaustion and they kept the sick-bay well used tending minor injuries. Like cuts, nicks, bruises, sprains, strains, and a couple of accidentally broken fingers. Ambrois and Jade made three failed attempts to find a little 'together time' much to the delight of Saul, who made a great deal of laughing over their obvious discomfort. "You two were better off virgins."

"So sayith the boy who doesn't know what he's missing." Ambrois said with a scowl. Then he winked. "But where there's a will, there's always a way. Love conquers all."

Those words sent Ambrois on a three day quest of begging the aid of his mother, no easy task when Angelo was on his case every time he turned around. While there was a lot he wanted to ask, even more he wanted to know, needed to know, he wasn't about to tackle the job of asking his father those hard questions. He had a feeling that Angelo would tell him everything he needed to know in time, and not a moment before. But now was not that time, now was time he should be spending with Jade...alone...completely alone...

It wasn't until the last day of their voyage that everything came together for them, Cele's aid and the upcoming destination proving more than enough to engross the whole of Angelo's attention as well as that of Saul. Donovan was wise enough to mind his own business, wandering up on deck where the ion wind scrubbed his nostrils clean of anything he didn't particularly want to deal with.

He snorted, those two had no idea what their angst did to him. There were way too many pheromones flying on any given day to make him feel comfortable. Indeed it only served to remind him that he himself needed to find somebody soon, it was ingrained in his race. But when the only woman you've been anywhere near for four years is clearly spoken for...Donovan sighed. It wasn't like he could challenge Ambrois for Jade's affections. The arcex had him beat in the looks department and the brains department. And he'd gotten there first...

A light touch on the bunched muscles of his shoulder was unwelcome, inviting a growl. "Easy there." Saul said slowly. "Some body's in a bad mood." Donovan flicked an ear at the young man, his tail twitching as his muscles bunched and relaxed.

"Now's not a good time Saul."

A snort answered his words. "Van, you're too damn quiet you realize. We've known each other all our lives and of us all, you're definitely the least vocal. Even when Ambrois was all nerdy and stuff, he still talked a whole hell of a lot. Then Jasper was always saying 'Here's what we're going to do'. And me...well shit...I never shut up." He offered up a lopsided grin to his longtime best friend, brown hair getting in his eyes. "So now it's your turn, get it off your chest. Talk to me brother."

Donovan sighed. Of all the times Saul had to pick to be stubborn, invasive, and right...He rubbed his nose absently. "Well...it's like this..."
-------------------------------

Meanwhile in Ambrois's quarters, two satisfied lovers lay near the edge of sleep. The gentle motion of the ship combined with the strong heartbeat in the chest below her ear was making it almost impossible for Jade to keep her eyelids open. "You're sure you're comfortable? That this isn't hurting your wings?" A tremor ran through the flesh under her, his laughter echoing like contained thunder.

"I'm fine as long as you don't start making any sudden movements. This damn hammock is liable to pitch us both if you do that." Ambrois's hand stroked Jade's hair, the feathers of his wings lightly sweeping across the floor as they swayed gently with the ship's movement. He was in some discomfort, arcex were not built to lie on their backs for extended periods of time...certainly not with someone else on top of them. But he wasn't about to kick a sleepy Jade off of him. A yawn made his jaw crack and she shifted her weight, causing him to grimace a bit as a feather was pulled clear.

"Ambrois." She said sleepily.

"Humm?"

"I love you." She said softly, snuggling closer to him. He suddenly wasn't sleepy any more, laying there wide awake instead.

Mom?

What sweetie?

What's he doing? Ambrois didn't need to mention who he was, Cele wasn't stupid.

Your father is busy plotting to humiliate Bradogan.

Do you think he'd mind an interruption?

When Cele spoke again there was a great deal of warmth in her voice. No, no I don't Ambrois. Your father is a very secretive man, make no mistake he's not even told me the half of everything. But he's a good man under it all. Honorable. And I think it's time for you to take advantage of that. He loves you very much.

As Jade began to softly snore, Ambrois gently extracted himself from under her. I'm not so sure about that Mom. He seems more like the type to eat his own young.

His mother chuckled at him. That's a chance you'll have to take...
-----------------------------

Angelo looked up at the soft rap on his door, knowing almost instinctively who it was. He didn't need Cele's silence to tell him his son had come calling. He waited for the door to swing open, revealing the child that had grown into his lineage. Ambrois looked very little like the bookish youth Angelo had taken on four years ago. He'd gained several inches of height, although he'd never be as tall as his old man, and his body was corded in classic arcex muscular style. Right down to the well developed wing muscles...

"Sir, I think it's time we talked." He said in cultured tones made deeper by adulthood, causing Angelo to smile.

"I suppose it is. I hope you realize what that little moment with the lass is going to cost." Angelo was rewarded by his son's shocked look as he settled into the other chair in the room. "Please don't think you can pull one over on me...and no I don't have your quarters' bugged and I wasn't spying on you. I've better uses of my time."

"Humm...score one for you then captain." Ambrois said flatly.

Angelo sighed. "Look lad. It's not that I want to keep you away from the lass but I now is not the right time to be falling in love. And it's certainly not the right time to be starting a family, especially not at your age." He pinched the bridge of his nose and decided against the drink he needed so badly.

"Look, Ambrois, horrible things are going to happen soon. I can feel it, my mother's legacy if you will. I can feel slaughter, bloodshed, and turmoil on such a scale that it makes me want to crawl back into a bottle and drown. But that's not a choice I can make, not if I want to make sure you can grow old and have that family." He smiled a crooked smile at his puzzled son.

"Let me start at the beginning with your grandfather. You know the legends about him right? How people say he accomplished his tasks in life?"

"Which one? The one that said he was the spawn of a demon or the one that said he sold his soul to the Infernal powers?" Ambrois said it lightly, in the manner of a disbelieving man.

Angelo reclined in his seat, eyes straying to the ceiling. "Ah, well both have their truths but neither are wholly correct. You see, his soul was sold...but not by him. His parents promised the soul of their firstborn son in exchange for power, position, and wealth. Which they had, for a time, until after the Wars of Genocide when my great-grandfather was chosen to bury the knowledge deemed too dangerous. Then they lost everything but their lives fleeing. By the time my father was born, they were little more than poor colonists barely scraping by. They expected their end of the bargain to be fulfilled the moment he was born.

But it wasn't. My father lived, played, laughed, learned, grew from infancy, to childhood, to his youthful years, to adulthood. He went to sea and learned the sailor's trade, found a young arcex maid and wooed her for his bride. And the ill-fated bargain was all but forgotten until the day of his wedding...that was when they came to collect his soul. Needless to say he was rather surprised by all this, never having been told he was foresworn to the powers of evil. He argued the bargain, pointing out that they were rather late in collecting their payment.

Perhaps in jest they told him that if he could find someone to take his place he'd be exempt from paying the price. His would-be bride stepped forward and, ignoring all pleas against her actions, she traded herself for my father." Angelo paused, his eyes locking now with those of Ambrois. "That young maid was my mother."

For a moment, neither spoke. Ambrois ingesting the information, Angelo finding the will to continue. His voice was quiet and somber when he spoke again. "She became what you saw in that vision, a demoness of sorts, craven and capricious. A creature made of living steel, forged for war and the destruction of men. My father forever felt responsible although the love between them eventually became a mutual hatred. He sought a way to destroy the monster he'd created even as he sought a way to forever keep that which his father had forsaken everything for a secret.

Because despite all their allegations that they'd never again seek the technology that nearly destroyed us all, the Star Council so rarely keeps it's word. My father always knew they'd never stop seeking it and that it was impossible to keep it from them forever. There were bound to be hidden cache's his father might have forgotten or maybe was never told about. So he set about finding a way to stop them.

First came the unification of the pirates. They had always been a thorn in the Star Council's side, lovers of freedom and free enterprise. Always willful and wild, the code of conduct they held to amongst themselves was less than understandable. My father carved his name on their hearts, wrote it in fear, long before he penned the Accord of Honor. But he established the rule of order pirates obey today, the pirates choosing from among the best of them Lords to serve under the best of them all, a High Lord. My father is, to date, the only High Lord the pirates have every had.

But he didn't stop there, that only prevented the Star Council from gaining an iron grip on the stars. He needed a way to keep my mother and her machinations in check, a way to forever keep an eye on things. That is why he made the bargain for the Articles."

"Another bargain?" Ambrois said incredulously.

Angelo laughed. "Life is made of dealings, dealers, and deals broken. In the case of our family, those deals are made and broken with powers higher and lower for causes greater than our mortal selves." He reached behind him and took hold of the sword, drawing it and laying it on the table between them. "This is the Blade. There is no foe it cannot cut down, no shield that can block it, no blood that can stain it. And no hand, save those with the blood of Angel Blade in their veins, that can wield it. It is one of five pieces, all of which have their own properties, that my father sold one thousand years of his life, and his eternal rest for.

The others are scattered, hidden in places held secret from the world by Radiant and I. We'll be gathering them again though, now. The day my father envisioned is coming, I can feel it. Perhaps he had the foresight he always claimed, perhaps he was as I am...good at reading people." Angelo sighed and the silence stretched between them.

"So that's it? No mention of how you even came to be? I mean if your parents hated each other so much...why are you here? And what is up between you and your mother? I mean she all but..."

Angelo shook his head. "Later lad. I've got other worries on my mind. I'll explain all about your Grandmother and her ways later."

Ambrois abruptly shoved his chair back, glaring as Angelo rose to his feet just as quickly, the Blade humming between them. "It's always later with you Angelo. When will you realize we don't all have your kind of time?" Before another word could be said, Ambrois stalked out...frustrated once more.

Angelo sat back down with a sigh rubbing his right wrist. "My time is running out lad...faster than you know..."
----------------------------

Cobalt strode through the clustered dingy buildings that made up Tallistown's wharf district. Damn Tabor for leaving her again, no doubt drunk and staggering somewhere into some other wench's bed. She flipped some of her newly dyed hair back over her slim shoulder, she was over him. She'd been second in command long enough and was tired of propping him up. Wasn't she always the one making sure they were in good graces with Mange? Wasn't she always the one dredging up the information that somehow escaped Tabor?

She wrinkled her nose at the derelict scow that had arrived sometime in the night, the nerve of some people and what they'd sail in. It was an eyesore and she made a mental note to firebomb it later. Right now, if her information was good, Bradogan himself was at the Seven Arms in. Mange was still upset with Bradogan, the man had made quite a bit of trouble during his quest to get all of the pieces of his son back in one place. Cobalt shook her head...maybe the boss should have given it a little more thought before he chopped up a Pirate Lord's son into little bits. That kind of thing wasn't good for relations.

She managed to worm her way into the Seven Arms, her bribes paying off generously as nobody even batted an eye at her presence. A discreet jerk of a bartender's head told her where the cloaked door was, a smile playing her blue lips as the scrambler built into her headband allowed her to see it and pass through the force-shield on it. A staircase wound it's way down into the depths of oblivion, angry roars rising from below.

Descending it a single gentle footfall at a time, Cobalt eased her way down into the hidden space at the bottom. Her eyes nearly popped out of her head at the sight she observed. The crew of Bradogan's ship, the Manticore were all shouting angrily, weapons drawn. At the other end of the room stood a figure in a long red and black coat Cobalt knew all too well. His silver hair was cut short, his silver wings mantled, touching the ceiling and both walls in their half expanded state. His sword was in one hand, blood smeared along the edge, and in his other he held Bradogan's severed ear.

"Now I realize I've impaired your hearing mate but maybe this will make you pay more attention to me in the future." Angelo lashed out with the flat of his blade to catch the other lord on the left knee, causing Bradogan to howl with pain as it buckled under his weight. Using the point of his massive sword, Angelo lifted Bradogan's chin so that the man was staring into his eyes from where he was kneeling on the floor. "Never again think you can order me around. No more insults, no more ultimatums. I'm not Mange, I'm not subtle like that. When something reeks, I take out the trash."

A booted foot knocked Bradogan backwards and Angelo's wings folded as he shook the blood from his blade and sheathed it. "Now that we're on the same page mate, here's your ear back. You're going to need to listen up for this next information." Angelo pulled something small out of one of his many pockets. "These are recordings of transmissions from the Armada and the Council Chambers. The information on them is something I'm not willing to completely discuss surrounded by those I cannot completely trust. But I'll allow you to listen." He extended a small speaker, pressing a button that activated a shimmering bubble.

Cobalt wrinkled her nose in frustration. Trust Angelo to have a sonic damper handy, how was she going to get her hands on that succulent information. No doubt Mange needed to hear whatever it was that was giving Bradogan such an expression of horror. The man had even dropped his ear as his mouth opened in shock. As the sonic damper collapsed, signalling the end of whatever it was they were listening to, Bradogan looked at Angelo in horror. "Steel...they've gone mad. The Assembly must hear of this, you were right."

Angelo smirked. "I generally am. Drunk or not, I've got my sources and resources. You've got...fleas."

Cobalt's body stiffened. The Assembly? All the Pirate Lords in one place? Oh Mange definitely needed to know about that. It would be so easy to eliminate all of them ahead of time...so easy if she just had that damned information. But how was she going to get it?
-------------------------------------

So Angelo has some information, which you'll find out in the next chapter, and Cobalt needs to get hold of it. How's she going to do this.
----------------------------

Yes Cobalt is back in all her scheming glory. Hope you all liked.

"Music makes you braver."

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Syranore
Citizen

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
1633 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Bradogan. He might be a little weak after his experiences with Angelo, and surely telling an innocent girl couldn't hurt, if she was oh-so-nice.
Kirranna
Resident

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
616 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seduce Sual and get him to filch it?

The Meaning Of Fear
Respected Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
2439 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, oh why did you have to bring the b**** back! Why couldn't she just have died in an extremely fatal and non-suspicious accident, that was obviously NOT set up by Angelo?

Quote:
I'm rather skilling in

Skilled.

Around about another 8 mistakes in there, most of them to do with wrong vowel-usage/missing letters.

Nice chapter, I'm not too sure about the humor though. The praying bit was worth a chuckle but otherwise it smelled like a sciffy.

I'll F5 Kirri on that DP. Saul will likely refuse, maybe even attack her outright, but you never know. He is, after all, a guy, right. Razz

Besides, it will make for a GREAT humor scene if she gets pummeled while trying to seduce him.

Doors to the truth, an SG where a boy is propelled into worlds he is unfamiliar with. He crosses many worlds, and sees many things that force him to throw away his innocence, once, and for all. Fourth Chapter, out for viewing!
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chappy got too long Meanie, so the humor scene planned for it has been bumped to the beginning of next chapter.

And pitting my characters against each other? How evil....I like it!

The Meaning Of Fear
Respected Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
2439 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that shiny thing on top of her head in the piccy actually there? Or can we just ignore hte piccy altogether?

Doors to the truth, an SG where a boy is propelled into worlds he is unfamiliar with. He crosses many worlds, and sees many things that force him to throw away his innocence, once, and for all. Fourth Chapter, out for viewing!
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...as the scrambler built into her headband allowed her to see it and pass through the force-shield on it.

Yes Meanie, it's actually there...

Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
6104 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems to me that the wench would be better off seducing donovan, but...seeing as how she betrayed the whole gang, i doubt that any of them would allow her any closer to them than it would take to cut off a limb. She's going to have to get everyone really, really, drunk somehow, sneak on board the ship, and try to find the info herself. Best idea I can offer for this one Rai.

eminem

without the threat of death,
there is no reason to live at all

marilyn manson
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
10415 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A much easier read now mistakes have been fixed, and that goes for the previous chapter too. Good work! Smile

I think Cobalt's instinct would be to get back 'in' with one of the crew, and since Saul is so obviously jealous of Jade and Ambrois's relationship, he'll be the one that's most pliable, I think.

Meph is right - they're not going to welcome her to the fold that easily, they've spent years together without her, and will treat her with suspicion. And Angelo? Forget it. He won't have her anywhere near the ship.

I'd say lure Saul away, get him drunk, seduce him, then blackmail him into doing her dirty work for her.
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
9744 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f5 ing Crunchy here.. And no whining from you Rai! That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Topics: 5

Items
Legends
2410 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I agree with CF as well. I'm always for sneaky tactics, and this sounds like an interesting choice... mwahahaha! Smile

Beyond Good and Evil
Could it be that being good is not good at all?
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Look. A Poll! Vote!

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Galleons of the Stars All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: