Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Chapter 20: The Plot Thickens

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> Galleons of the Stars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Chapter 20: The Plot Thickens Reply with quote

Hey look, I've reached chapter 20, woot. Ahem, that aside you all wanted to pick Angelo's brain, fine by me. Enjoy!
---------------------------

Chapter Twenty: The Plot Thickens

Saul slowly pulled on his soaking pants, dripping hair hiding furious eyes. He'd been duped! What an idiot! He ground his teeth as he listened to Cobalt hum, picking up her sodden things and dumping them in a hamper near a door carved with flowers. "Well Saul? I'm waiting..." It took all his willpower not to walk over there and smash her delicate face like a sledge hammer smashing a china plate. What would Angelo do he wondered. And just like that the little light bulb over his head went on.

Lifting his chin, he met her eyes with a smirk. "Wait all you want. I've got better ways things to do with two weeks than spend them with you." He shook his head, sending droplets of water spraying everywhere.

Suddenly Cobalt's hand was locked in his hair, yanking his head around painfully so that she could plant one last kiss on his lips, one hand plucking at his waistband. "Suit your self Saul." She said in a loud, mocking tone. Then, as he pulled away, she whispered something in his ear. "They're watching me." She slapped his hip as she quickly pulled back, swinging her hips as she vanished through a different doorway. "Later lover-boy."

He was completely bewildered now, standing there with a uselessly angry look on his face. Was she trying to trick him? Again? How dumb did she think he was? On second thought, he wasn't sure he wanted that question answered. Turning, gathering the remains of his shredded shirt, he slammed the door on his way back onto the street, ignoring the shocked looks the few passers by gave him. "Women." He said with the utmost disgust. Then, recalling what had been done to him before the metaphorical knife had been thrust in his back, he shook his head again. "Women." He said with a sigh.
------------------------------

Cherry sniffed the ground again, not giving a damn the kind of looks she was being given and ignoring the insults her keen ears picked out. 'Filthy canin' indeed, that fat lard of a drunk was one to talk. Even a human could smell him...standing upwind at that. She growled in frustration. Angelo had obviously not followed his crew...hell he might as well have vanished off the face of the planet. His scent certainly had. Admittedly, there wasn't much to follow after the crowd had trampled the spot flat but she'd managed to pick out a different scent. That of the boy Angelo had had hold of.

Taking out the small scrap of cloth that had been part of the human youth's shirt, she inhaled again to make sure she was on the right trail. Yes, he'd definitely come this way. She looked up again and sighed. This particular avenue was no stranger to young men seeing as it catered to 'particular' needs. Anyone could find anything here if they knew the right people or had the money to buy the right people. Yet the trail the youth had left behind was not one of lust but one of fear. It seemed, to Cherry at least, that he'd only been seeking the docks or to rejoin his companions, but had gotten lost along the way.

"A poor place to end up." The unwary could easily get hurt in the Bath House district. There were several of the shops that were little more than discreet assassin mills, catering only to those sirens and charmers that beguiled the easily persuaded then shoved a dagger between their ribs after robbing them blind. Cherry had often heard her mother raving about the place and forbidding her to set foot anywhere near it. Needless to say that Cherry hadn't listened, curiosity had often driven her down this path...which is why she recognized the pluni who stepped out of the Whispering Sahid just then.

Her lip curled in a snarl as she watched the woman flick her long blue hair, hadn't it been dyed a different color only yesterday? The witch was a quick-change artist, one of the best Cherry had to admit, and she specialized in leaving her lovers lacking something. Usually their life. Cold as the ice-caps in winter was the heart of Cobalt the Silken. Cherry froze as the woman strolled past her, doing her level best to keep her ears drooping and not flatten them back in distaste. But, as the witch passed her, she caught wind of something clinging to the woman's skin. The youth! He'd been with her...recently too.

It was faint, smothered under the foul essence of drushii mist and that cloying perfume the pluni favored, but it was there. Cautiously, only after the woman had been gone for several minutes, Cherry walked up to the door and sniffed around. The youth had been there alright and that meant one of two things. Either he was as bad as Cobalt was, which didn't make sense if he was crewing with Angelo knowing Angelo's strange sense of honor. Or he'd been seduced which put him squarely on Cherry's sympathy list.

His scent was strong, he'd been there recently. Making sure her whomping stick was secured to her back, she dropped to all fours and began to rapidly track the scent. With any luck she'd be able to either catch him or follow him back to Angelo's ship.
-----------------------------

Donovan, Ambrois, and Jade didn't quite know what to make of their day. It had started off well enough, a grand adventure. They'd been pissed when Angelo had forbidden them shore leave, feeling utterly cheated. Which is why when Saul suggested they all jump ship they'd done so with very little fuss or argument to the contrary. First order of business had been to let Saul lift a purse, then they'd hit the town with the stolen coin. Food, cooked hot and fresh and not put through a synthesizer or begged from Angelo's hands, had only given them a need for more. Drinks had quickly followed, from various establishments, until the disaster in one tiny corner pub.

An enormously fat barmaid had waddled up to them with a tray full of pitchers and mistaken Saul's wide-eyed stare for an invitation. When she'd asked him if he wanted some time in a back room, he'd instead replied with an only slightly drunken comment about her size. That had gotten him knocked across the room and started a bar-fight that would be remembered for years to come. Tables had toppled, chairs had smashed. An old woman had been hurled at the dartboard and her sharp nose had stuck in the bullseye.

It had spilled onto the street and engulfed other pubs until an entire mob of drunken angry townsfolk had smashed up quite a few streets and done more damage than anyone could ever repay...and be expected to live. So needless to say the mob had been quite happy to run them down and string them up after the barmaid had pointed them out as the cause of everything. They were back on the ship and all in one piece. But they weren't all there...

"I still say we need to go back and find Saul!" Donovan yelled at the top of his lungs

"And I say that we need to stay put!" Jade screamed back.

Poor Ambrois was sitting in the middle, rubbing his aching temples while his mother gave him the mind-chewing of his life. Unable to stand listening to three people screaming all at once, he finally lost his temper. "SHUT UP!" He roared his voice eerily reminiscent of Angelo. Silence fell as his blue eyes glared in a sizzling manner from under his mop of golden hair. "Listen to me. We three are too recognizable to just go wandering back out on those streets. I didn't see a single other Arcex out there. Jade, that blazing red mane of yours was commented on how many times by how many different people? And Donovan, there isn't a canin out there who can't recognize you by scent alone. Of us all, Saul blends the best and, let's face it, he gets in and out of trouble the best."

"But he's in over his head this time Ambrois." Donovan whined, ears drooping. "None of us are there to back him up." It was obvious the canin was extremely distressed over the well-being of his longtime friend, a friend as close to him as any brother could ever have been.

Ambrois opened his mouth to speak but Jade beat him to the punch. "Angelo's out there still Van. I'm willing to bet that..."

"Willing to bet what lass?" The three of them turned at the sound of the slim man's angry voice, his boots hitting the deck with an ominous thud as he landed from vaulting over the railing. "Willing to bet that I'll...wait a second." Angelo pointed at each of them, counting them off and shaking his head. "Well this is no good. I started with four and I've only got three. Where's the lad?"

"Saul hasn't come back yet Angelo." Donovan said miserably. "I want to go look for him."

The pirate shook his head. "Not on your life. The light's going now, sun'll be down soon. And if you caused this much trouble in Tallistown in the day, I don't want you wandering loose in the streets at night. I'm not going to be saving your sorry arses from another angry mob anytime soon. If the lad's out there, he'll either make his way here or he won't. Simple as that."

"But you can't just...." Donovan stopped, head cocked to the side as his ears picked something up. Nose twitching in the wind he suddenly sprang for the deck railing, reaching down to grasp the pale arm that shot up from below. With and exuberant tug, he yanked Saul so hard the slender boy shot upward and was slung around like a rag doll, landing with a bone jarring thud on his back on the deck. "Saul! You're ALIVE!"

"Not for much longer if you keep tossing me around like that Van." With a groan Saul managed to get to his feet, shaking his head to quell the ringing in his ears. He regained his balance only to be caught in Donovan's crushing hug.

"Dammit! I was so worried I was ready to...you smell funny. You smell like s-oomph!" Whatever Saul smelled like was never to be known as the younger lad spun and planted a sharp jab into Donovan's gut, driving the air out of him. The canin wheezed painfully as his friend broke away, smirking a bit and tousling his hair. He caught a glimpse of movement out of the corner of his eye and turned his head, mouth falling open as he beheld the vision of beauty standing there.

In the dying light of the day gathered in her sparkling blue-grey hair, falling across her pale skin like honey. Her dress fluttered and ruffled in the slight sea wind, her stern expression unreadable as her dark eyes swept the ship. Her silver ears were skewed in a non-committal fashion, her tail curling lightly behind her. Her feet were bare, wrapped with rags around the arches, contrasting with the quanity of golden jewelry that glittered on her arms, around her neck, and the circlet on her head. She had several tattoos, tribal designs that decorated her upper right and lower left arms as well as one on her upper right thigh and lower right calf, one on her lower left calf and the last one in the middle of her forehead. She was, without a doubt, the most beautiful creature Donovan had ever laid eyes on.

And without a moment's hesitation, she hefted the long pole in her hand and strode toward Angelo, face growing stormy. "You! I don't know how you escaped the mob and frankly I don't care because that just makes it more satisfying to do it myself." Her pole licked forward as she spoke those words, aiming for Angelo with blinding speed. "You insulted my mother, and you declined her invitation for dinner! I don't know which is worse."

"Oh the cooking by far. I commend your fortitude for stomaching it lass." Angelo said lightly, catching the pole in his right hand. There was a muffled sound, metal hitting wrapped metal, as the girl's eyes grew wide. "Now Cherry, lass, stop being foolish." He released his grip on the pole, flexing his fingers and stepping back as the canin maid gaped in astonishment. "And you may wish to close your mouth...you look like a stunned flounder."

Cherry's mouth shut with an audible snap, her eyes going flinty as she flipped the pole back around and leaned on it. "Angelo, you are a piece of work."

"Thank you...I think."

"No, I mean that. I don't know of another pirate lord that's so negligent with his crew. Honestly, letting a youth like that be seduced by a man-eater like Cobalt the Silken on his first shore leave...that's just irresponsible."

"WHAT!?!" Donovan, Ambrois, and Jade exclaimed in unison as they turned to stare at Saul. Saul, for his part, turned as red as a beet and flipped Cherry the bird.

Angelo snickered. "I'd say getting seduced after disobeying your captain isn't a half bad way to start a career as a pirate. Although I could say something about his taste in women..." Then Angelo stopped dead. "Wait...Cobalt?" Saul swallowed a large lump in his throat, knees obviously weak as Angelo turned a cold gaze on him. "This wouldn't happen to be a certain pluni we have unfinished business with would it?"

Taking a deep breath Saul told the story from the beginning to end, obvious shame and self-loathing written on his features and expressed in the way he spat his words, as if they were the most distasteful thing ever to hit his tongue. He told about how he'd gotten separated from the others, gotten lost in the unfamiliar Tallistown streets, and run smack into an open door. How Cobalt had sweet talked him, praising his skills like none of them ever had, how they'd eventually ended up without a single strip of clothing between them. Donovan almost choked at that, Ambrois's arm wrapping gently around Jade's waist and pulling her close.

"I hope it was worth it." Angelo said flatly before grinning. "Of course it was. She's a professional...they generally are."

"Worth getting poisoned over?" Saul said, almost hysterically.

Angelo made an 'in-between' gesture with his hand. "Depends on the poison she uses. Casicor wasn't too bad but I wouldn't want to try dialphian again."

"You survived dialphian poisoning...I take it back Angelo. You're not a piece of work, you're the original work." Cherry said, shaking her head. "Shit, is there anything that effects you?"

"Bullets work nicely." Angelo said darkly before returning his attention to Saul. "So what poison did she use?"

"She didn't say. All she said was that it was a toxin in the steam and one in the oil that, when combined, were lethal unless treated with the antidote." Saul shook his head. "I guess she didn't want to make it easy for me."

"In the steam and scented oil you say..." Angelo muttered, glancing at Cherry. "Lass, I'll take back those things I said about your mother's attire and cooking if you'll take a whiff of the lad and tell me if you recognize anything."

Cherry shook her head, grinning devilishly at him. "No dice Angelo. I will never, ever, ever help..." She broke off as Donovan whined gently at her, his ears so low they looked like some comical cosmic add on to his physical nature.

"Please? He's family..."

Cherry blinked for a moment, taking in the canin's obviously devastated state, the pained looks on the Arcex youth and his red-haired companions faces', before nodding slowly. "Alright. Although you could just use the med-bay...you do have one?"

"Sure lass but this saves time. Some of the tests for the more insidious poisons could take too long, we'd lose any hope of treating him we had." Angelo said quietly, hands already fishing around his pockets for something.

Cherry sighed. "Here goes nothing." Slowly, she walked over and inhaled a couple of times, closing her eyes to concentrate better. "Drushii mist, the perfume...it's Loyo essence, and the oil is just goshoban. Standard bath house fair."

"So what does that mean?" Saul said anxiously as Angelo started to laugh. "What's so funny."

"She hasn't poisoned you lad. She did use several mood enhancers on you though...it's no wonder you were more than ready to succumb to her charms." He laughed a little harder. "I'm surprised you didn't give in right away actually, I guess willpower does come in handy."

"You mean she tricked me? Again! That wench!" He jammed his hands in his pockets, a strange look coming onto his face as he fished around in one and pulled clear a small square of metal. "Huh? What's this?"

Angelo neatly plucked it from his grip, frowning slightly. "Message chip. Play it for me will you beloved?" Angelo said as he slid the chip into the panel next to the wheel. A hologram of the embedded message quickly buzzed to life, Cobalt's fine features pinched slightly in what was unmistakably fear.

If you're getting this love, don't shut me off! Get Angelo, convince him to watch! You're in no danger from poison, the mist toxin is harmless without the one in the oil...and I switched out oil bottles. But I had to make you think I'd gone through with it...they were watching me! The plan was simple. Find you, seduce you. Bring you back to the bath house with me. Poison you and send you to fetch that information...but I couldn't go through with it!

I can't do this any more! I need out! I was wrong to blow up the Muse, I was wrong to make that shot. Angelo, you've got to believe me, I was aiming to miss! And had I not set those charges, Tabor would never have gone through with his end of the deal. I just wanted away from you back then, I was so angry after you took my eye. But I was a fool! You have honor but these...these freebooters have nothing but their own needs. They'll kill me the moment I cease to be useful to them, they almost killed me at first when I couldn't provide them with enough information about you.

That's right, they know virtually nothing. They know your ship has a soul...but not who's and they certainly don't know you have a son...

Cherry's hissed intake of breath went unnoticed as the message continued on.

I know you won't believe me but I'm offering you something. I'll tell you what Mange knows about the Articles...and what he plans to do with them. All you have to do is keep me safe from him. I'll be at the bath house tonight, when the moons all hang high in the sky and the bells in the sea towers toll. I'll be there for an hour, any longer than that and they'll get suspicious.

Please Angelo. Give me one last chance...

As the image faded out, Saul spat on the deck. "She's lying."

Angelo nodded. "Indeed. But she's genuinely afraid of something, be that me or Mange or a little of both. That I know for sure, pluni don't fake fear well...there are telltale signs when they try. She had none of those."

"Afraid of what'll happen if she doesn't get the information she sent me after?"

"Could be..."

Ambrois drummed his fingers on the railing. "So what are we going to do about it?"

"That," Angelo sighed "Is the platium plated question."
-------------------------------------

Is Cobalt's information worth the risk? Or is there some way to get it without holding up their end of the bargain? Only you can say...
------------------------------

Alrighty. We've got a little more elaboration on how Cobalt set things up. A new character has been thrown into the mix. And the mysterious 'Articles' are back in play. A strange brew indeed. Hope you enjoyed!

"Music makes you braver."

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:01 am; edited 4 times in total
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
5046 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go along, but take every possible caution. If it's an ambush, they could use all the help they can get, and if not then the more people who know what she has to say the better. But, obviously, don't reveal the backups to her.

Is Cherry going to be joining the crew?

Tea Cures All.
Gallant
Citizen

Topics: 14

Items
Legends
1645 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say wait for her to come out. That way she doesn't have the comfort (or traps) of the bath house and basically set a trap of your own. Then you could kidnap her and shove her in the brig. Take the fish out the water so to speak.
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
9744 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell.. go. She's scared shitless of Angelo anyways, she'd have to be a vegetable not to be... plus, counting Cherry, it's 6 against one anyways..

But, if that is the option that wins, then whose to say that Cobalt's just good and they're being lead by the noose into a trap....

mmmmm... interesting puzzle indeed, Rai..

Btw, Cherry is cool in my book. Smile

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Topics: 5

Items
Legends
2410 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say she's not acting. Not anymore. She is desperate, though she is not totally scared because she has a backup plan if everything goes wrong. She does hope that Angelo will take her back, though.

I say that only Angelo and Ambrois go, and the rest position themselves around and above the bath house, just in case something goes wrong. I'm always for the surprise backup. Smile

Beyond Good and Evil
Could it be that being good is not good at all?
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, its the poll. How bout some handy-dandy voting!

"Music makes you braver."
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Galleons of the Stars All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: