Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Journey's Witness Chapter the Fifth (Finally) - NOW POLLING
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

(currently a favorite of 2 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm, there's some tricksy tricks going on here. Ol' Cross eye either knows exactly where the princess is, so can go in the same direction as a search party and know to get there first. Or, he knows they all are going in the wrong direction.

If left is North, right is South, and the forest is straight ahead. That still leaves West (well known summer location for wicked witches).

Whilst puzzling what he meant by insurance in a 'blue thing', I want us to circle around the city/castle and head west.

Great chapter, Trav.

Quote:
I looked up to see Connor sitting on the fence post of the last stall. He had a mischievous grin on his face and I knew he was congratulating himself for biting Old Cross-eye’s toe.
Think you meant Garreth there.

Happy Writing Smile
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just out of curiosity, why would a rat blush at the suggestion of a kiss from a cat?

Would it not be more realistic to run in fear?

otherwise, still great!
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew... longer one there Traveller..

Hrmmm.... (btw I am loving the accents of Garreth and Rufus! So much personality!)

What the heck, head South I say! Smile (No reasoning why though)
Traveller
Citizen

Topics: 4

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the early comments folks...I realize that I didn't leave y'all much to work with as for why to pick any given direction...suffice to say I do know what lies in each direction so the choices won't be as arbitrary as they seem...will try to give you more to work with next time...T.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 339

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had quickly ran from the kitchen

run

Quote:
if you find anything…” His voice choked up for a moment before he continued, “…anything at all.”

We don't know this king yet, but I would imagine such a ruler would be strong enough to not choke up in front of his people. Maybe cat can see him looking weary/worried or something in a private moment.

The sentence after this is readable, but rather run-ony.

Anyway, DP:

Well, I'd say follow the man, he seems to know more than everyone else. It's not much, but somewhere to start.

Nice chapter T!
Traveller
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chin...will do that edit soon...as for the King...I figured this was his only daughter and the emotions kinda caught up with him...as for the next sentence...you're right...very run on-y...ooops...will watch for that in the future...thanks again for the comments...T.
Fats_Masterson
Citizen

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive first story Trav.

I have to say, I love your choice of VP character. They way you tell the cat's story as a parallel to the main story, (or vice versa depending on how you look at it) and manage to keep both stories intertwined and distinct, and memorable to us the readers.

What you've decided here it both complex and tricky, yet you are doing a superb job of it. Keep up the good work Trav!

As for the DP, as a cat I know that when in doubt about where to go you simply put your nose on the ground (so that it looks like your searching for something), then bound off in the first direction that looks good.

*Cats are the worlds greatest Daoists Mr. Masterson

My reality tunnel is bigger than Yours

Last edited by Fats_Masterson on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
scissorkitty
Respected Citizen

Topics: 59

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Fats. Although cats aren't usually thought of when it comes to tracking, they are able to track by smell. How else do you think little rattings get caught for lunch?

Between Jewel and her friends, and all their assorted noses and talents, they should be able to choose a direction. I bet Garreth has an excellent sense of smell, and all three should be able to track animal signs and the odds-and-ends that people leave quite easily.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh - of course they can. How silly of me not to realise. Razz
Traveller
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright folks...Poll is up...as I said, this poll is fairly cut and dry...but I do know what lies in each direction so it isn't some random choice...The three heroes will stop at the crossroads to sniff out a direction...you need to decide which direction they sniff...Thanks...T.
Traveller
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll's closed...looks like we are heading West into the unknown...chapter to be posted soon...T.
Traveller
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this is taking so long folks...been a rough week for me...I know what's going to happen in the next chapter...just gotta find the time to write...soon...very soon...T.
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Traveller, take your time.... It is a tale worth the wait, trust me.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Tipico
Resident

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......Wow.......

sigh.... i wish i could inspire an audience to love my literature..... Smile

would you like a little lemon and lime with that mister??
Novelest_Ninjagirl
Respected Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. I gotta adit, for a first shot at a sg (I just rea dup right now) this rocks! I love how the stories remain intertwined, yet different! One thing though, and I relized it from thhe others posts, it's plain the got nad mouse are male, but the gender of the cat, jewel, is unknown. Yes, jewel is a girls name, yet think about it. . .little girls have a tendicy to name evryhting girlish. I love this! Keep it coming!
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*pokes Traveller* Okay, long enough. Chappy please.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Traveller
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't forgotten...its just been a tough summer for me to find the time to write...(The irony of that is I have had nothing but time on my hands as I recovered from some minor surgery but was in too much pain to be inspired)

I have the chapter half written and will try to finish it up in the next couple of days...its going to be pretty long so hopefully the wait will have been worth it...

Sorry to leave you all hanging...T.
Traveller
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Folks...here it is. Once again I apologize for the long wait but I hope it was worth it. This is a pretty long chapter and could have been even longer but I cut back on alot of description and shortened the end significantly. Maybe one day in a grand edit I will add everything back in. I hope you all enjoy and that it was worth the wait...T.

Chapter the Forth

The rain poured down heavily, creating a curtain, closing off the entrance to the cave we had found, and obscuring the view of the valley I knew lay below us. I could hear Rufus behind me, deeper in the cave, shivering in his sleep and I thought, not for the first time, of the providence of finding this cave . The alternative, spending a night as a victim to the elements, could have been devastating. As I lay, staring out through the curtain of water, the days events returned to me, reminding me how little time we had.

The day had started out with no indication of the fury to come. The sun was rising in the East, adding some much needed light to our frantic search.

We had stood in the center of the cross-roads, trying to guess which way we needed to go. The wrong decision would not only cost us much needed time, but, with those two imposters on the hunt too, could cost Journey her life.

Luckily, for us, we had Garreth with us. His keen sense of smell had rarely let him down in his search for scraps of food around the castle and now, having had a taste of “Ol’ Cross-eye’s” foot, I was confident he would have no problems tracking them. Rufus and I watched as he scurried around the dusty ground, his nose leading the way. The cross-roads was a mess of criss-crossing footprints, hoof prints, cart tracks and wagon ruts and I heard Rufus wonder aloud what I had been thinking.

“How’s y’all gonna find any scent in all this mess, Garreth?”

Garreth never looked up but continued to snuffle his way around the roads.

“Don’t worry, Rufuth,” Garreth replied, “The nothe alwayth knowths.”

Suddenly, I saw his ears prick up and a shiver ran down his entire body from his nose to his tail. He sniffed at the ground again and a small smile crossed his face as he looked down the Southern road.

“The definetly went thith way, Jewel,” Garreth lisped proudly.

“Are you positive, Garreth?” I questioned, not doubting him but wanting to be sure all the same.

“Abtholutly. I’ll never forget hith thmell,” Garreth grimaced as he continued, “Like a micthture of rotten cheethe and thweaty thtockings. Bleagh!”

I smiled in spite of myself as the three of us hurried along the Southern road, Garreth ranging ahead, still following “Ol’ Cross-eye’s” ghastly scent, while Rufus and I followed.

We walked along in companionable silence for a few minutes, watching Garreth, before Rufus broke the silence.

“I’m a-sure she’ll be aright’, Jewel. She’s a good soul. Me Pappy says that good things happen to good people. That Princess of yourn is mos’ definetly good people.”

I smiled at Rufus’ good intentions. He was obviously trying to cheer me up. But I also knew that he meant every word he said. He owed Journey his life.

“Tell me how she saved your life, Rufus.” I asked him.

Rufus smiled a huge buck toothed goat smile back at me as he recollected his brush with death.

“It twas the last night of the Harvest Festival,” Rufus began his story, staring back into his memory as we walked. “The night was dark but the courtyard was lit up with fires and I stood at the entrance to the barn watching all the revelry. There was jugglers and mummers, singers and dancers, musicians of all shapes and sizes, a-playin’ on every instrument you ever heard of, and some that you never heard of a-fore. But all my attention was caught on the tumblers.

“They were simply beyond description. I found myself drawn outta the barn and towards the spectacle before me. I warn’t the only one who found their antics exciting, I reckon, and soon I was in the middle of a throng of revelers, all “ooh-in’” and “ahh-in’” to every move the performers would make. I watched as a young man, obviously their star attraction, climbed precariously up his cohorts to the top of a pyramid made of their bodies. As he reached the top, the watchin’ crowd erupted in cheers at his showmanship.

“ I looked around at the faces near by me and was surprised to see yourn princess standin’ right next to me, starin’ up at the young man, the admiration on her face for anyone to see. I followed her gaze and saw that the young man was grinning’ back at her, as if he had done the whole show for only her.

“As I watched her face a huge shadow loomed over her and an immense hand came down on her shoulder. She looked up to see her Father grinning’ down at her.

“Oh, Father, isn’t he…I mean…aren’t they wonderful,” She said, looking up to her father.

“They are magnificent, Journey. But it is time to go. You and I need to talk about something very important now. Come on.” He began to steer her away from the crowd as he spoke but she resisted.

“But Daddy, I want to watch them some more. And I was going to get something to eat.”

“This is very important, Journey. And as for food, let me see what I can do.”

“He snapped his fingers and one of his guards stepped out of the shadows and gave him a punctilious salute.

The King allowed his gaze to drift past Journey and locked eyes with me, “Bring that goat to the kitchens and have them prepare him immediately. The Princess and I will be waiting for it in my quarters.”

“The King spun on his heel and began to lead Journey away but suddenly the air was split with a bone chillin’ scream. People all aroun’ the square all spun to see what the commotion was. E'en I wasn’t sure what was goin’ on when Journey threw her arms aroun’ my neck, tears streamin’ down her face.

“Oh Daddy, How could you! You can’t eat this goat. He is just a baby!” Journey wailed as the crowd stood silently watching the scene she was creatin’

“I almost felt bad for the King as his head swung around to look at all the people now starin’ at him and his daughter and their little argument. His face went red and he leaned in close to his daughter. I could feel his hot breath on my beard as he whispered for only Journey to hear,

“You are making a scene, Journey. Now come with me immediately, we have something to discuss.”

“Journey didn’t budge, but kept her voice low in response, “I’m not going anywhere until you promise not to eat this little guy.”

“The King barely glanced at me a-fore sayin’, “Alright, whatever you say. Just come with me now.”

“With that he took her gently but firmly by the shoulder an’ led her away from the starin’ peoples and off towards the castle. I figgered that I was best to get outta there a-fore anyone else got any idears so I ran back to the stables. That’s what happened and now I wanna return the favour. If she’s in trouble…”

Rufus’ thoughts went unfinished as there was a squeak from out little scout up ahead. He stood facing West off the road and was obviously excited about something. Rufus and I ran to catch up.

Garreth was standing by the side of the road looking into the trees that lined it. As we approached, there was two very obvious wheel tracks, swathing their way into the underbrush and disappearing into the forest beyond.

It occurred to me immediately that this must be the cart of the two men we were pursuing as the King was headed South and had no reason to send off any of his soldiers at this random location. If “Ol’ Cross-eye” and Connor had a reason to leave the road here, we had to hurry. They obviously knew something we didn’t.

I smiled my thanks to Garreth as we turned off the road and began to follow the trail the two scoundrels had left us.

We made good time heading through the thick underbrush, and I was pleased as I realized that the cart we were following would not have had as easy a time as we were having. In what seemed like no time at all, we had caught up to the cart sitting abandoned on a scree lined cleft overlooking the Great River than wound its way through the King’s lands.

The river lay below us winding its way, slowly at this time of the year, from North to South through a lush, green valley. Beyond the river the land climbed steadily and quickly to the mountains in the distance. High above the mountains I could see the dark clouds that hinted that the days nice weather would not last.

I looked down the cleft and could see the obvious signs of where our quarry had slid down the scree and knew we could not be that far behind them anymore. I felt relieved to know we were on the right track.

The pitiful looking horse was standing at the front of the cart, looking as abandoned as the cart itself. I moved over to where he stood and leapt up on to a nearby branch where I could look him in the face.

“They left you here, didn’t they?” I said quietly and a little sympathetically.

"They is coming back, they is," The buck toothed horse replied, clearly not believing his own words.

"I think we both know that that is not true," I looked him deep in the eyes as I said this, seeing the resignation as he accepted my words.

"I guess you is right, you is."

The horse began to make a sound I can only describe as crying. It was a sniffling, guffawing whinny that came from deep within him. Rufus, Garreth and I shared a look before Rufus spoke up softly.

"What's yourn name, mister horse?"

The horse gasp between sniffles, "They didn't even gave me a name, they didn't. They just called me "Horse", they did."

"Well you's gotta have a name," Rufus continued, "Didn' yourn mama call you sumpin'?"

The horse's sobs were slowing down as he seemed to be getting a hold on himself, "Well, she did used to call me "Pumpkin'", she did."

"Well we are very pleased to meet you, Pumpkin," I spoke gladly, "My name is Jewel and these are my friends, Rufus and Garreth."

Both my friends greeted Pumpkin heartily and soon the big goofy looking horse was smiling from ear to ear.

"Pumpkin, "I continued when the greeting were over, "Did you happen to see which way those men went after they left you?"

Pumpkin looked proud of himself as he looked over the cleft to the river, "I sure did see them, I did. They had a little boat hidden in the reeds down there, they did, and they hopped on board and sailed on down the river, they did."

I followed his gaze down the river and cursed under my breath. How was I going to follow them now?

"Thank you, Pumpkin. You are a brave and noble steed to be left alone in the woods. But this is no place for you. Garreth, can you do something about his harnesses?" I asked.

Garreth smiled as he scurried up the cart and over to the harnesses holding Pumpkin in place, "Thure can, Jewel. It would be my pleathure."

As Garreth went to work on the worn leather, I looked Pumpkin in the eye again. I could see a new resolve forming within them, "There is one other thing I would ask you to do for us Pumpkin. Once you are free, head back up to the road and head North. Go as quickly as you can back to the castle and into the stables. Wait there until the King's horse, Demetrius returns. Do you know the horse I am talking about?"

Pumpkin nodded and added, "He is the big black one, he is."

I continued, "That's right. When Demetrius returns you tell him everything that has gone on here and that you can lead him back to this spot. Tell no one but Demetrius, is that understood?"

Pumpkin nodded as the harness' fell away. Garreth had proven his worth again.

"Thank you Jewel, and you too Garreth and Rufus. I won't forget this, I won't."

And with that he galloped off back into the brush and towards the road. Our hopes rode with him.

As one we all turned back to stare down the scree lined hill where our quarry had made good on their escape. My skin tingled as the far off clouds let out a rumbling boom from over the mountains.

Without a word, the three of us all began to scramble down the bank and toward the river below. Myself and Garreth moving gracefully, disrupting few rocks while Rufus caused small landslides whenever his hooves slipped, which was often. Luckily there were no major mishaps and soon we were standing within the reeds looking at the wide river stretching out in front of us.

There were obvious signs of the two miscreants being here before us; trampled reeds and a little piece of cut rope that must have been used to secure their boat. The problem facing us now is how we would be able to follow them. None of us were strong enough swimmers to brave the waters of the Great River and, too often, the grassy banks got choked off by large looming cliffs that made travelling along the riverside an impossibility.

My friends must have seen the dejection on my face. I felt like I had failed Journey. I was ready to just lie down here in the reeds and give up. I should have known better that Garreth wouldn't give up so easily.

"Maybe there ith another way, Jewel." Garreth whispered in my ear.

My ears perked up at Garreth's suggestion of hope.

"Another way? What do you mean?"

Garreth smiled as he responded, clearly seeing the attitude adjustment he gave me, "Well, I often travel the cathle at night, and I like to thneak into the King'th private chamberth thinthe he hath all thorth of thtrage and interethting thingth in there. In that room there is a giant map hanging on one of the wallth. If my memory therveth me the river loopth around on itthelf up ahead. It ith running thlow thith time of year and meanderth around quite abit before heading back thith way on the other thide of thith valley. Tho, if we were to thwim acroth the river and head up over the mountainth, we thould be able to catch up with the river again on the other thide. It'th a long thot but we may be able to head them off."

I practically leapt on Garreth and gave him a huge kiss on the top of his head, causing him to blush with an "aw shucks" look on his face. "Garreth you are a genius"

Rufus broke up our reveille, "We had better get to swimmin' then. That is a long road ahead of us, if'n we's a gonna catch 'em. And dem clouds don' look to forgivin', neither."

I looked up and into the mountains, whose tops were now obscured by the fast moving black clouds. Thunder shook the earth and flashes of lightning lit the clouds up. Rufus was right. We had no time to waste.

Without another word we all waded into the shallows of the sluggish waters. I had to keep reminding myself why I was doing this as it is no secret that we cats do not like water. But if Journey needed me, I would swim the ocean for her.

The river did not seem too wide as we began but as the swim continued, I wondered if we would ever get there. The first droplets of rain began to fall before we were half way but being that we were surrounded by water they didn't seem to bother us much.

After what seemed like an eternity to me, my feet stumbled on the rocky river bottom and soon I was wading ashore, my companions on either side of me. We all gave our fur a good shake to get the excess water off but knew it would be a losing battle as, by now, the rain was coming down quire steadily.

By mutual consent we did not stop long at the river side but quickly began to move inland. The roots of the mountains stretched all the way down to here and, although they were tree covered, we found ourselves heading steadily upwards, hour after hour, as the rains became steadily stronger.

The winds had begun to howl around us when Rufus leaned close and yelled in my ear to make himself heard.

"We need to find somewhere to get outta this rain. We ain't gonna make it very far if'n we don'"

I had been thinking along the same lines as I looked down and to my right. Garreth was shivering beside me, his teeth chattering as he bravely tried to continue on. What were we thinking? We were not made for this kind of travelling. I was used to sleeping on fluffy beds or next to a raging fireplace and being fed only the finest of foods out of silver dishes.

I was so lost in these thoughts of self doubt that I walked clear past the opening and would have continued on if I hadn't had noticed that Garreth's chattering had stopped beside me. I turned back to see where he was and saw him standing proudly in front of a low overhang that looked to go deeper into the mountain side. I weakly smiled at him, proud of his resilience once again, as we all squeezed through the opening and out of the rain and wind.

The inside of this little cave was larger than it appeared from the outside and, while not completely dry, we were happy to be out of the worst of it. We were all too tired and cold to do to much talking and soon we were all laying down and soon, looking out of the cave entrance, I drifted off to sleep.

The next morning the dawn broke with no hint of the tempest of the night before. I woke to the distinct smell that comes after the rain and could hear my two companions just beginning to stir behind me. I peered out of the cave and down into the valley below me. We had climbed far higher that I had thought in the storm yesterday and took that as a promising sign. If we could make that kind of distance under those conditions, we should be at the other side of the river's loop in no time.

Garreth darted past me and out of the cave into the beaming sunlight beyond. He was squeaking in delight and doing a sort of dance he was so excited to have survived the vicious storm. I laughed as I watched him and blinked away tears that were forming. I heard a strange whooshing sound and when I looked again, my heart almost stopped. Garreth was gone.

I raced out of the cave with Rufus right behind me and looked around for any sign of my diminutive friend but could see no trace of him. Suddenly from above I heard my name squealed in fear and pain.

"Jeeeeeeewwwwweeeeelllllll!!!!"

I looked up to see Garreth being taken away, in ever climbing circles, by a large eagle.

The bird continued to climb in an ever expanding flight as Garreth continued to squirm and scream for his life. Rufus and I stood, still as the mountains around us, in complete shock, unable to think of anything we could do to rescue our friend.

Just when I began to believe that things couldn't get any worse for Garreth, another eagle, this one dwarfing the one that held Garreth, came circling into view. The two eagles began circling each other, like a dangerous dance, with Garreth for the prize. The larger eagle constantly getting closer and closer to the other who seemed to be trying to get away with his new found treat but to no avail.

Then, suddenly, the larger eagle charged his adversary and Rufus and I held our breath as the in flight dance became deadly.

They locked in combat, the smaller eagle still clinging to Rufus, but they were quickly losing altitude. The battle raged on, the two eagles darting this way and that trying to win dominance over the other. The two winged beasts suddenly collided in the air, just above the river and I clearly saw something small and black drop into the water, causing a small splash.

I stared at the water, the two birds lost to my eyes, looking for any sign that my little friend had survived. I could not see anything from this distance and collapsed on the ground where I stood.

"He sure was one brave rat, Jewel," Rufus tried to comfort me but his words washed over me without sinking in.

Was Garreth really gone. I had to be sure. He didn't deserve this fate. He came along on this adventure because he was my friend and now he may be...I couldn't bring myself to even think of that word yet. Not until I was sure.

Rufus looked at me expectantly, wondering what we were going to do next. I realized that I had no idea. I knew I should continue on the trail of the two men we had been pursuing but my heart wanted to race back to the river to answer the burning question in my heart. There was also a seething need for revenge on those two birds but I had no idea how to achieve that. The one thing I did know was I needed to make a decision now
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! *cries and sobs*

GO BACK AND FISH HIM OUT! CATS CAN FISH YOU KNOW! *shrieks*

(excellent chapter)

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Garreth! I love the rodent with the lithp!

Hang on a minute, Garreth said that if they cross the river it loops round and they may be able to head off the men in the boat. Garreth is in the water already - he'll be carried along with the current, and will probably be too far down the river for them to catch by the time they get to the waters' edge. Rats can swim so he has a chance - I would have thought he'd be a better swimmer than the cat or the goat...

I think they should continue with Garreth's original plan, cross the river, and get to the other side - if they move now, they'll have time. If they find Garreth in the river alive later on, it will be a bonus. But for now the little rat will have to fend for himself.
Traveller
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments Lil and CF...I am going to leave this open for a couple more days in hopes that a few more of my former readers return to the fold...I hope I haven't lost too many with my hiatus but fear not...The tale is far from over...T.
Traveller
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright...so it doesn't seem like I'm gonna get anymore comments on this chapter so I might as well put the poll up...hopefully some more readers will return (or join, c'mon, its only 4 chapters in) If there is not alot of response I will try to bring the story to a close soon...might take another chapter or two...I've got another idea brewing...but I would really like to finish this story properly so PLEASE tell all your friends that there is a cat, a rat and a goat (not to mention a missing princess)that really need their help...T.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 339

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Trav, just caught up. I'd have suggested something along the lines of CF's idea anyway, so voted accordingly. Very Happy
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted, Traveller, ... hehe.. get the poor rat out soon? He was one of my favorites. Sad

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and voted. Ah. Neck and neck. May the best suggestion win! heheee... Very Happy
hopesfallyn
Visitor

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poor lil rat. good chapter, trav, well worth the wait. sorry it took me two weeks to read it *sheepish*
Fats_Masterson
Citizen

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, been out of the loop for a while.

Great Chapter Trav, this is a great story and I eagerly await the next installment!

My reality tunnel is bigger than Yours
FatHairyApe
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh! I didn't know you had a storygame until I saw your nom in the Sept SGOTM thread (congrats, btw). I really like it! Keep going, and I'll be sure to follow it!

Items

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright my vote won. Wink Hey you still around Traveller?
Traveller
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello my little Ifian Cat Lovers!!! I'm Back!!!

Thought I would bring Journey's Witness back to all of your attentions as a new chapter will soon be coming. Just trying to refamiliarize myself with the story and where our favorite cat, rat and goat are going. In that vein, I am going to reopen the poll here (which, in actuality, was never closed) for anyone new who wants to join our adventure for the next couple of days while I try to get a new chapter out from behind all the spiderwebs I allowed to grow in my head...T.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it! Very Happy
Traveller
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll is officially closed and I am currently writing the next chapter.

Looks like we need to go backwrads before we go forwards so it is back down the mountain to (hopefully) locate our little lisping friend.

Chapter the Fifth will be up in the next few hours...looking forward to hearing your opinions after such a long hiatus...T.
Traveller
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is, folks...The long awaited Fifth Chapter of Journey's Witness. I have literally been sitting in front of my computer all day but I am happy with the direction it has gone even if I am not thrilled with the DP...but I'll let you be the judge. Looking forward to your feedback...Traveller.

Chapter The Fifth

The next few hours seemed like days as we picked our way back down the mountain towards where we had last seen Garreth enter the water. Even with the river lazily meandering along its route, I held little hope that we would find my little friend.

My memories of the journey back down the mountain consist mainly of absent-mindedly watching the play of the rising sun off of the multitude of water droplets falling from the leaves or being kicked up out of puddles along the forest floor by Rufus. The goat had noticed that I was lost in my grief over Garreth and had taken charge, leading me on our quest to find the apparently drowned rat while I allowed my thoughts to drift back to when I had first met my friend.

I had heard the humans refer to the winter I had been adopted by Journey as the coldest in recent memory and I was inclined to believe them. Luckily, my young fur was thick and insulated me well and I found great adventure exploring my new surroundings while most others were huddled around the fires in attempts to stay warm in an extremely draughty castle.

I was prowling along a corridor, sparring with the other cat that seemed to be following me very closely. Whenever I passed a window or torch, there she was. But she seemed to virtually disappear otherwise and, try as I might, I could not catch her. In one of my attempts to pounce on her, I landed against a door which swung open under my attack. Finding no resistance where I had expected a solid door, I made a very uncharacteristic, ungraceful landing, sliding across the polished stone floor, legs flailing, until I came to rest under the corner of the bed.

I quickly righted myself and nonchalantly looked around, making sure no one saw my un-cat-like entrance into the room but, luckily for my pride, no one was there.

The room I was in was what I had come to consider as ‘typical’ for humans. The large, wooden bed I was currently under dominated the room. A small table with two chairs sat near the window and a small but functional fireplace was situated along the wall opposite the door. No fire burned there now, though, and the chill in the room was almost unbearable.

Satisfied that no one was around, I turned to head back to the door and see if I could pick up the trail of that elusive cat when a strange anomaly caught my eye.

Situated almost in the exact center of the wall, hidden under the bed, was a small hole. It occurred to me that my mysterious prey might have slipped through this hole while I was sliding around on my back and so, crept over to investigate. I quietly slipped my head through the opening and gasped at what I saw.

I was looking down into a shaft that seemed to run the entire height of the castle. Wooden beams ran across the opening in all directions, providing support for the stone walls surrounding it.. Countless rays of light criss-crossed throughout the shaft, illuminating the tiny particles of dust that floated in the still air and gave the entire scene a mystical air that sent a shiver down my spine that had nothing to do with the cold.

I quickly realized that the rays of light were coming from countless other holes in countless other rooms throughout the castle. I had found a secret access to the whole castle and was so overjoyed at my discovery, I completely forgot my elusive prey. The wooden support beams would allow me to climb, up or down, with a series of short jumps and balancing acts. Two unremarkable feats for a cat.

For the next few moments I sat with my head through the hole, looking both up and down, trying to decide which of the many access holes I would try first when suddenly, and without warning, my senses were awash with the most wonderful scents, drifting up from somewhere far below me.

The warm, earthy smell of fresh baked bread, the succulent tang of roasted meat, the sharp scent of spices all rushed up and hit me in the face like a brick wall, causing me to lose control. I watched in bemused surprise as a long strand of my saliva hung momentarily from my mouth before dropping into the darkness far below. There and then I knew my decision was made for me. One of the multitude of holes below me led to the kitchens and it would be a small matter of following my nose to find it. I set off immediately through the hole and onto the first beam.

I began the long decent, leaping from beam to beam, deciphering the maze of supports that had become my stairway. Only twice did I have to turn back and find another route but soon found myself understanding the pattern of the beams and made short work of the rest of the distance between my nose and the wonderful scents below me.

I soon discovered that the hole I was being led to was the bottommost hole in the long shaft and as I leapt from the last beam to the dusty stone floor I was anticipating the feast that I imagined lay before me. I turned to the hole and crept slowly towards it, sliding my head through the hole.

The vision before me was breathtaking. I had visited the kitchens many times before with Journey but had never seen it from this vantage point, and had never seen it this full. Many cooks and servants ran around, shouting or obeying orders and preparing all sorts of foods that covered every flat surface available. I was about to climb out of the hole to see what I could find when I heard the unmistakable barking of Journey’s father’s brand new puppies moving quickly along the passageway leading to the conventional entrance into the kitchens.

I had been “introduced” to Rex and Bruce only a few days ago and it was quickly apparent that we were not to be best of friends. Since then I have been chased around the castle halls too numerous times to count, and the idea of running into them now did not appeal to me one bit so I stayed where I was, peering out of the hole.

Apparently, I was not the only object of their wrath as someone or something preceded them through the kitchen door by mere moments. A small grey blur zigged and zagged around the feet of all the inhabitants of the room with the two stupid brutes hot on its tail. Suddenly the whole room was in turmoil as laden trays went flying in the air, scattering their contents across the floor, the tables and the people. Someone was screaming and the another lady was chasing the three of them with a broom. I couldn’t help but chuckle to myself but my merriment was short lived as I suddenly realized that the little grey blur was heading my way…

…WHAM!!

I was bowled over as the blur came rushing through the hole to safety from the dogs. The two of us were suddenly entangled as we tumbled head over heels before coming to a rest against the far wall of the shaft. I lay there for a few moments, upside down, while I waited for the room to stop spinning before untangling myself from whatever had collided with me.

There before me was the smallest rat I had ever seen. Even back then Garreth’s fur had a splotchy, unhealthy look and I saw the glassy, weepy look in his eyes that I would discover was common for him.

I looked behind me to see the snouts of the two dogs, trying to force their way through the far too small hole while the people in the next room attempted to restrain them. Perhaps if the next few moments had played themselves out different, I would never had become friends with Garreth but that little rat earned my respect when he scampered over to the hole and took a nip out of Bruce’s nose, sending the dog whimpering away with Rex following behind him.

He turned around, looking quite proud of himself before he startled when he realized he was face to face with a cat. The silence that followed was unbearable as both of us waited for the other to make a move.

Now, all my cat instincts were screaming at me that I was looking at dinner, but watching that rat stand up to Rex and Bruce made me fight against nature and after a couple of introductions a great friendship and alliance was born. Together, Garreth and I used the secret shaft to explore the castle, stealing food and generally making the lives of Rex and Bruce a living hell.

I was brought out of my reminiscence by Rufus’ slow drawl, rushing me back to the present from so many years away.

“If’n y’all are trying to join Garreth, keep on a-goin’ that way.”

Although my eyes must have been open all along, I only began to see again when I heard Rufus’ warning. I looked around to notice I was only one step away from falling into the river myself. Rufus had led me down the mountain in my grief and I had almost repaid him by walking right into the river myself.

“Rufus, my friend,” I said as I looked deep into his concerned eyes, “I imagine I have not been much company today, but you led the two of us back to the river to look for Garreth and for that I am forever grateful.”

“T’was nothing’, Jewel. My mama taught me long ago to let someone have the time they need with their grief.”

“Well, once again, Rufus, your mama’s wisdom has served you well,” I smiled weakly at him as I spoke, “I needed that quiet time. I am scared Rufus. What if we don’t find him?”

Rufus shook his head, “Don’ y’all go thinking’ that way, Jewel. We’re a-gonna find him. If’n there’s one thing I’ve gone and learned about Garreth it’s that it’ll take a lot more than a little fall to stop him.”

We began to pick our way along the reeds and grasses that lined the Great River as it carved its way through the King’s land. With every step, I half expected to see his water-logged, lifeless body laying there but mile after mile we searched without any sign of Garreth. I found my hopes rising and falling over and over as I despaired about not being able to find him and then feeling relief about not having found him yet. Suddenly I was brought out of my thoughts again by Rufus calling to me from the top of a small hill he was standing on.

My heart raced as I ran to where he was standing. Had he found him? Was he dead or alive? I could see Rufus staring across the river but could not see what he was seeing as the grass was far too long.

“What is it, Rufus?” I asked as I ran up to him, trying not to sound too panicked but realizing I failed at that as the words left my mouth. “What do you see?”

“Shhh…Look over there,” he nodded with his head at the point he was watching and then, seeing I was too short to see what he could see, motioned for me to hop up on his back for a better vantage point.

I immediately saw what Rufus had seen and the sight made my stomach leap as I tried to make sense of the scene before me.

There, on the far bank, caught up in a jam of fallen trees was an overturned boat. From the way it was lying on top of the other flotsam it was apparent that it had just landed there and by the condition of it, not on purpose. Huge holes were ripped in the bottom of the boat and long scratch marks down the side told the story of the misadventure the boat and its occupants had had.

“It must have been the storm last night,” Rufus whispered to me and I nodded in agreement. “Do y’all reckon it was them?”

I knew he was thinking about ol’ Cross-eye and Connor and the same thoughts were rolling around my brain. We knew that the two of them were on the river last night when that storm hit and forced us into the cave. Had it caused them to have this disaster as well? From where Rufus and I were standing, there was no sign of either of them, but I knew that didn’t mean much as we did not have a good vantage point from here. My dilemma was that I was not sure if it really mattered. If those two had not survived the storm last night were we really in any different of a situation. Journey was still missing and Garreth was still…well, missing as well. I had another decision to make. Do we take another detour to the other side of the river to investigate the overturned boat? The swim would not be easy and the boat could be completely unrelated to our search, in which case we would be wasting a lot of valuable time. Or do we continue along the river in hopes of finding Garreth. As much as it pained me to think this, our chances were getting slimmer as the time went. If he had miraculously survived, he would be a long way from here. I just knew that somehow. Besides, the river was starting to turn and enter the steep cliffs where we would not be able to walk along its banks any longer. My heart would not let me forget about Journey either. I knew that this decision could be the difference between success and failure, between life and death.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember right from the previous chapters, the animals are trailing 'Ol Cross-eye and Connor' who took off in that boat. They're supposed to know something about Journey's dissappearance, right?

Well, if the boat is wrecked, I think it is unlikely that it will yield many clues, although there may be some scent that they can pick up from there. If the humans survived, they'd have gone ahead on foot.

As for Garreth - if he was not able to escape the river, he'd be over those steep cliffs by now, and dead. If he did manage to swim to safety, he'd be heading off elsewhere over land, too.

Not much point in chasing a dead body over the cliff - Journey's best bet IMO is to check out the boat and see if she can figure out what direction the humans have headed. Her best and only hope for Garreth is that if he survived, he continued on ahead.

Examine the boat!
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its still too early to give up chasing down the rat. Use your cat instincts to pick up the trail of the critter, as if you were hunting him. I doubt the boat would provide much for clues, but we can always go back for it anyhow.

Wonderful story traveller. I'm glad I took the time to read it through. I'm onboard now. Keep up the good work!
Traveller
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Decision Time!!! Is Jewel going to swim across the river and check out the boat...or will she continue down river looking for Garreth (knowing that she may have toturn back when she reaches the cliffs) or get back to her search for Journey and head back cross country to cut off the river's loop?

You Decide!!
Fenris
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for check out the boat. Fate has a funny way of changing pace in the most unusual places.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo... caught myself up with this, T. Was a most pleasant surprise to discover there were two chapters for me to read.

And great chapters they were. I loved the flashback to when Jewel first met Gareth. The undignified sprawl across the polish floor tickled me.

Personally I think there's been a distinct lack of calling out for Gareth as they've wandered the riverbank. If he made it to shore then he's likely holded up somewhere, shivering and trying to get warm, possibly exhausted and dozing. They could have easily missed him.

I agree that searching the boat is unlikely to yield much to go on. All the water, from both the river and rain, would have washed away any useful scents. It's just a long swim for nothing in my opinion. And yet another swim back again if they then decided to go over the mountains. Jewel is yet to get anything to eat. Another two swims is a waste of limited energy.

Back to the mountains via the riverbank again, this time calling out for Gareth incase he is holed up somewhere.

Happy Writing Smile
Traveller
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost a week into voting and we have a three way tie!!! I am hoping to do some writing in the next couple of days so get your votes in now, please! There's a cat that really needs your help!...T.

(p.s. Thanks to those who have voted and commented already...would love to hear some more comments if you have the time)
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay caught up! Continual good work Travs.

Which means i get to choose. MWAHAHAHAHA!

I'm leaning towards checking out the boat, since i feel that Garreth either got out of the river himself or died. Either way, there isn't much Rufus and Jewel can do for him at this point.

Which Way To Go?
Head across the river and check out the wrecked boat?
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Continue down river in our search for Garreth?
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Head back cross country, cut off the river loop and resume the search for Journey?
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9
Who Voted: Crunchyfrog, DeadManWalking, Eva Ree, Fats_Masterson, Fenris, Mirel, Scheherazade, Smee, Thunderbird

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: