Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
The Orb- New Chapter 5 up!!! Readreadread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*pokes Phan*

*narrows eyes*

*shows her a picture of a duck gagged and tied to a chair*
msmelton
Tourist

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great story
Phantomfan
Citizen

Topics: 7

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I should give a really good excuse for the lateness of this chapter, but I can only think
of one word- School. Hopefully the next ones won't be nearly as late...

Anyways, Enjoy!

Chapter 5

The column of smoke rose into the air, writhing and twisting like a living creature. It billowed and swirled about in a menacing manner, rising higher and higher into the sky blood red with sunrise.

Transfixed, Aria watched the smoke climb up and up, then turned away from the window, heart pounding with fear. She glanced around wildly at the room, looking for a weapon- any weapon. The sword! She ran towards the bed, grabbing the leather strap attached to the sword sheath and slung it over her shoulder.

“What are you doing?” The Phantom asked, voice calm and cold, currently in the shape of a large cat.

“I’m going to my village,” Aria replied, grabbing the Sightseer’s journal and tucking it under her arm. “Something’s wrong, and I need to find out what.”

With a snarl, the Phantom leaped and landed on the bed, directly in front of Aria. “Not with Esther’s journal, you don’t.”

“But I need to finish it!” Aria cried. “There are secrets and explanations in her visions- they would explain so much about what is going on at this very moment, and maybe even how to stop it!”

“It isn’t yours.” The Phantom said, a quiet and deadly threat in every word. “It belongs to Esther.”

“Who is dead-”

“She is NOT dead, you foolish girl. If she WERE dead, do you think I would still be here? Her Sight has not moved to another person- else I would be with them, and not with such an ignorant child,” The Phantom spat, the painful discord in its voice growing until it sounded like thousands of people were all speaking at once. “She was the last Sightseer, and as such, I am bound to
protect her journal until she truly is dead and the Sight finds a different host.”

Aria was silent, glaring at the Phantom, green eyes meeting black pools. Forcing herself to return the unblinking stare, she handed the book back to the Phantom, who changed into the shape of a human in order to receive it.

“I wish you luck in finding Esther, I suppose.” she said, voice devoid of emotion.

The Phantom nodded. “And I wish you the same fortune in fighting the danger in your village.”

Without another word, Aria turned around and walked out of the bedroom, sword bouncing along with every step she took. She ran down the stairs, causing a huge avalanche of dust pouring down the stairs. Coughing violently, she stumbled out of the house and back into the yard. She dropped to her knees and crawled back through the small tunnel in the thorns, ignorant of the thorns scratching her arms and face. Once out of the tunnel, she stood up and began running as fast as she could towards her village, distant screams ringing in her ears and the smell of smoke only growing more and more evident.

Images of her family and friends flashed before her eyes as she tore blindly through the trees. What was going on? Who would want to attack her peaceful village? After a few minutes, Aria’s legs and lungs began protesting the speed and length of her strides, forcing her to stop for a moment to catch her breath. According to her wavering vision, she was in the clearing where she had first seen the Kyrieky. Gasping for breath, she leaned against a tree and closed her eyes, the sound of her pounding heart filling her ears and mind.

“Aria?”
Aria’s eyes snapped open and she fell backwards before leaping back to her feet, pulling out the sword and dropping into a defensive position. In front of her was the Phantom, looking just as stunned and confused as Aria felt- black eyes unreadable and book in hand.

“What do you want?” Aria said angrily, resheathing the sword and standing up as straight as she could despite the cramp that was forming in her side.

The Phantom opened its mouth, but seemed at a loss for words. Its form wavered for a second before it regained its composure. “I did not want to come here, but the compulsion was too great… It seems I am bound to you after all, though I do not know how.”

All danger momentarily forgotten, Aria raised an eyebrow. “Bound to me?”

“Yes. I have never experienced such a bond before, with neither the Sightseers nor the Tion. Though- perhaps it is a part of the spell Esther placed on me.”

There was a brief uncertain silence, which Aria broke with a sigh. “Well, if you’re going to join me, that’s fine. But I need to call you something other then Phantom or ghost or specter or whatever.” She said, exasperated. “What’s your name?”

The Phantom’s eyes widened. “Name?” Its ghostly brow furrowed in confusion. “You can call me… Myrrir. Yes, I think I was called that once.”

“Well then Myrrir, let’s go.” Aria began to run again, ducking out of the way of trees and leaping over branches, the Phantom beside her, loping easily along in the form of a lion. As she made her way through the forest in her panicked state, Aria realized that the sound of screams had stopped.

All of a sudden, the forest ended. Aria skidded to a halt, tripped over a loose stone and tumbled to the ground. Out of breath, she lay face down in the dirt for a few seconds, the smell of burnt wood and flesh permeating her sense of smell. Dreading what she would see, she slowly sat up.

The village was completely and utterly destroyed. Houses were toppled over like dominoes, burned down to the foundations, or crushed, as if a large being had sat on top of them. Bodies and the parts of bodies were everywhere, some burnt, some crushed, propped up against buildings, some with axes or other make-shift weapons still in hand. Aria walked through the silent wreckage as if in a dream. She was inside a void. A noiseless, emotionless void where nothing could touch her. Around her lay the bodies and heads of neighbors, friends… an arm was sticking out from underneath a large group of stones that was in the exact spot her house had been. Around the wrist of that arm was a blue bracelet… one that looked suspiciously like-

A cough off to her left caught her attention. She turned towards the toppled house from which it had come It came again, and Aria suddenly felt a surge of emotion in her empty mind, and she ran forwards towards the sound. There, underneath the remnants of her kitchen ceiling, was her mother, upper body burnt beyond recognition.

Aria crouched down, clutching her mother’s hand that was oozing with sores. “Mother?” she asked quietly, urgently.

Her mother cracked open her eyes. They were burning brightly- far too brightly… “Aria.” she croaked, voice harsh and rasping. “They wanted… you…” She clutched at Aria’s arm, bright eyes open but seeing nothing. “Find uncle…city. You are…last hope…” The bright, bright eyes filmed over, and the hand in Aria’s grasp went limp.

Gently, slowly, Aria lowered her mother’s charred hand to her chest. She stood up and began walking, past rubble, bodies, blood- walking, walking. Her mind was empty, her body numb, eyes blind to the destruction around her, ears deaf to dying breaths, sword forgotten and clanging with every step she took. She walked, past the last house, walked, past the ring of trees, walked, past everything she knew, walked…

Had any of the villagers been alive, they would have seen, directly above the young girl’s head, a large, semi-transparent eagle, soaring high above the land, book clutched in its black talons.

And here's your DP- Where should she walk to? What to do? Her entire family and past life is gone...

Hope you enjoyed the chapter, and thanks for waiting!

Here's some stuff I started writing a long time ago. Orb. Nexus.

Last edited by Phantomfan on Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, assuming she knows where her uncle is exactly, I'd say go to him.

not much else she can do is there?

Nice Chappy, despite the wait.
BlackAmaranth
Tourist

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha...his name is Myrrir Smile *ahem* sorry, I know this is a serious chapter, I just found that amusing. Anyway. I agree with DMW, there's not much else to do right now besides find her uncle...assuming he's still alive, of course. Then maybe the Phantom can tell her where to go from there, or she could keep reading Esther's journal to figure out what's going on...
Phantomfan
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apoligize for the rather bad DP this time... isn't really much to suggest, I know.

Still, if there are any random suggestions or ideas, they are all appreciated!

zahark
Citizen

Topics: 3

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay it lives!
nice chapy

and she really only has two options or so.....

see what the journal says and follow that or go to her uncle.

And the shadow of the day
Will embrace the world in grey

And the sun will set for you ~shadow of the day, linkin park

-------------

I'm not crazy*, my reality is just different from yours.

*most of the time
Phantomfan
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll is up!

Scheherazade
Resident

Topics: 2
Location: Land of Rain and More Rain (but really southwestern BC, in Canada)

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed the time to suggest things... school eats all free time.

I'd say she goes to the house to read and talk to Myrrir, as that's the only safe place she knows. Also probably the only shelter within a day or two's walk. She can at least go there while the shock wears off, maybe sit for a day or so in a daze.

another thought... does she even know her uncle at all? or where in this city he lives? or even where the city is? methinks it's possibly a rather large journey to take with no planning or provisions...

Here is Scheherazade
by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

What to do?
Go find the uncle
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Talk to Myrrir
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Read the journal for other possible options
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5
Who Voted: Adalia, BlackAmaranth, Crunchyfrog, DeadManWalking, Scheherazade

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: