Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Chapter 30: The Love Lost

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> Galleons of the Stars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Chapter 30: The Love Lost Reply with quote

Hey everyone, the moster of real life has finally released me and I've come back with a brand new chapter for you all. I only had to re-write it about fifty times. *laughs* Enjoy!

Warning: Violence, Mild Gore, and Language.
----------------------

Chapter 30: The Love Lost

"You'll be doing no such daft thing, insolent whelp. I should have strangled you at birth!" The enraged roar Mange sent out as he sprang forward seemed to shake the rotting timbers of the shabby tavern, it certainly shook the crowd who stepped back as far as they could, trampling several of their numbers in the process.

Yet Donovan easily evaded the strike, sending an armored fist clashing into the broad space inbetween Mange's massive shoulders, bringing a knee up as the same moment. "I believe you tried," he said as he moved to sieze hold of the other male, a searing pain raking his thighs. Mange's sharpened blunt claws had torn through the material of his trousers and the flesh below.

Roars of pain quickly filled the air as the two Canin circled. Though Donovan still wore the his 'war claws' Mange had picked up Ambrois's borrowed blade, wielding it like a long knife in a reverse grip. A savage snarl burst from the elder canin as he charged again, feinting with his longer blade only to slash viciously with the shorter as soon as Donovan was distracted. A line of scarlet spilled against Donovan's hazel pelt and the younger Canin gave a quick howl of pain.

He lashed out, deliberately giving Mange another opening, offering up his shoulder as sacrifice in order to get in a pair of wicked slashes to the unprotected torso of his foe. Mange, sensing something amiss, kept his blow light and managed to turn one of Donovan's steel taloned hands away from his gut, biting back a yelp as the other shredded down his ribcage.

Blood flew, tattered scraps of clothing, the material stained scarlet, soon littered the floor as the garmets of both father and son were shredded by the combat. Crimson droplets added to the offal, refuse, and already spilt liquid on the floor making the footing terrible at best...fatal at worst. Yet neither seemed to make a misstep in this most deadly of dances, never seemed to falter in their circling and striking.

Always Donovan kept himself between his friends and his father, when he could not he attacked with blazing fury, making it clear that Mange would have no oppertunity to attack Ambrois and Jade without his son flaying the hide from his bones and tearing his head from his neck. Bloodlust wafted off the two and, had the crowd been less terrified of the visceral carnage, it might have infected the onlookers. As it was everyone was too busy not getting trampled or inadvertantly shoved into the middle of the combat to actually start something of their own.

Chests heaving as lungs gulped down air the same way Angelo gulped ale, Donovan and Mange parted for a moment. Their muscles quivered with fatiuge, abuse, and adrenaline. Neither was yet willing to admit defeat, neither was going to surrender, and one would not walk away alive...it had been silently but mutually agreed. Now they just waited for their second winds, both of them trying not to feel the wounds that had already been inflicted, neither of them super-human enough to succeed.

Donovan could feel his salty sweat seeping into scrapes, cuts, and gashes. Stinging on top of the throbbing aches that the wounds already possessed in their own right. The four slashes that Mange's claws had inflicted on his upper left thigh, the oozing cut on his right bicep, numerous little knicks on his forarms where the ends of his war claws ended, the chunk missing from his right ear that trailed into a nasty cut across his forehead and down the left side of his face. The blood that ran from it looked like some kind of savage war-paint and impeaded his vision at times.

Mange was little better. He was missing both ears now and that side of his head bore four deep wounds were Donovan had very nearly ripped his scalp off, blood soaking into the iron grey hair and patches of flesh shifting on the older canin's skull with every move of his head. His torso was little better, several deep gouges running down one side of his ribcage, the blood like some ritual tattoo that twisted down his leg to anchor him to the ground.

Tails were held ridged and, in Donovan's case, beautiful tufted ears still remained pinned flat to the skulls they were attatched to. Blood slowly dripped from weapons and battered bodies, the soft plipping noises it made, like the first raindrops of the storm, went unheard over the general din of the crowd and the combatans could barely hear over the thunder of their own pounding heartbeats or the rasp of their lungs, each drawn breath sounding like sandpaper on hardwood.

Finally, Mange spoke, a savage grin wrinkling his face. "I'll admit this boy, you can fight."

Donovan's sardonic snarl was something a demon's trickster might have worn. "Why thank you Dad, I had an excellent teacher. Crazy as hell but then that's Angelo for you."

The smile abruptly vanished as the jib drove home and Mange's fists tightened anew on his bloodied blades. "I will gut you and festoon this foul excuse for a tavern with your entrails." The elder Canin's voice was sepulcheral, as menacing as a sharpened ax hanging from a gossamer thread above one's neck.

Yet all Donovan did was laugh at the threat. "You havn't seemed to manage it yet. What's wrong Daddy? Getting old?" The blank rage returned in Mange's eyes and his muscles tensed to spring anew. However, before the combat could resume, a shot roared out, the echoing boom causing all heads to whip to the doorway.

A burly man in filthy canvas trousers and an equally filthy vest, slowly lowered his smoking pistol. Knees were pressed tightly together with one hand firmly squeezed between his thighs, his face and intersting shade of puce. "FOR GOD SAKES WHERE'S THE HEAD?!"

As one every hand in the crowd pointed toward a small door to the left of the combat zone and with a thankful squealed, the pirate charged toward it before he disgraced himself by having an 'accident'. Mange and Donvan, their postures as relaxed as if they hadn't been fighting at all shared an amused glance, chuckling and shaking their heads. Then, as if a switch had been flipped, it was back to blood lust and death combat, snarls rippling in the air.

Donovan had just started toward Mange, one fist upraised to smash through any guard the older canin could mount, and Mange had just crouched into a position that would let him defend and attempt a strike at Donovan's belly when another gunshot rang out. Unlike the previous one, this sounded like a small nuclear device had gone off, dropping everyone to their knees with their hands over their ears.

"WE TOLD YOU WHERE THE DAMN BATHROOM...was..." The last word of the barkeep's fierce shout died to an ignoble squeak as the figure in the door became visible.

Angelo lowered his gun and calmly brushed the ceiling plaster from his red duster, glaring into the darkened room with eyes of burnished platinum. His wings shifted, steel feathers rustling against each other almost musically. With an arctic glance he took in Jade, crouched next to Ambrois, blade at the ready to make anyone who came close aware just what a bad idea that was. Ambrois himself sitting up at last, tearing his shirt into strips to make a sling for his smashed wing, face pale with near shock. And the bleeding, battered Donovan.

Walking over to a table he hooked a foot around one of the chairs and spun it close to him, settling down on it the opposite of how it should have been sat upon, legs straddling the back of it while his forearms rested atop that. He smiled mildly at the others. "Oh do carry on...what are the betting odds can anyone tell me?"

There was a vaccume of silence, the entire crowd slowly finding a way out of the Dry Heave by any exit possible. Infact one ingenious fellow, seeing that it was now extremely hazardous to his health to continue to stand within six miles of the tavern, had taken one of the better spoons and pried up the floorboards, now industriously appling himself to the soil below in an effort to tunnel out. Others were making good use of the windows, nobody was stupid enough to edge toward the door.

Mange himself had stared in naked terror for a moment, now a blank and glassy look ruling his eyes. With a terse snarl he turned back to the weary Donovan and pointed the end of his battle scarred cutlass at his progeny. "You win the day lad...but mark my words this is far from settled."

He gave a sharp bark, his crew suddenly coagulating around him like fouled blood, and they slowly backed out of the tavern en mass. For a moment Donovan stared after him, strong, proud, defiant, and every inch a victor. Then he crumbled as the adreniline and other hormones flushed from his system and he collapsed back in on himself, crouching on the floor and shuddering.

A few of the crowd glanced back, clearly wondering if there was an oppertunity to be had. They were quickly dissuaded as Angelo rose, sword and pistole drawn, wings spread as he kicked off from the doorway toward the remnants of the crowd. They broke like an expensive vase in the hands of a toddler, scattering into about as many pieces with screams boardering on ultrasonic in some cases.

Angelo chuckled, putting away his weapons and staring after them with the same mild smile he'd worn for the entire evening, turning on his heel and returning to the chair he'd vacated. He patted his coat pockets and held out a hand, the red duster twitching and spitting a silver flask into the open palm a few moments later. "That's a coat, I'd give you a bar snack but I'd rather you don't get sick."

He unscrewed the flask, took a few sips, and put it back before turning his gaze on the three that were slowly regaining their feet, leaning on each other for support. His voice was mild, his tone a brightly cheerful thing that so many parents use when their children have done something particularly stupid but obviously will never do it again. "So children, what have we learned today?"

Ambrois glared at his father then dropped his eyes. "I learned that rushing off without talking to people is rarely a good idea." Obviously he'd had time to talk things over with Jade, however briefly, during the battle between Donovan and his father.

Jade rubbed his arm gently, leaning her head against his good shoulder. "I learned that it's easier to face down danger when your loved ones are in peril than it is just for your own profit. And that party fowls can be deadly." She grimaced at the memory of the spilled beer and how it had in all probability cost her victory.

Of them all Donovan was silent the longest. When he did speak his eyes were hard, the blood crusting his face making him seem like a wholly different person than the loyal, mild-mannered companion they'd all known so long. "I learned that who my father was, that I hate him, and that if I don't kill him he will kill me."

Angelo chuckled lightly, nodding to the three of them, Donovan in particular. "Welcome to the 'Mange must Die' Club...I suppose we need jackets now." His grin faded and he shook his head. "That was a piss poor excuse for an engagment, worse I'm down two crewmembers. This means I'm in serious danger of having to delay my plans."

The pirate lord stood, pacing the empty tavern, hands in pockets. "I mean, having the walking wounded attend is not going to be a show of force now is it? And Ambrois lad, I had hoped that you'd wait until I was done with a few neccessary things before letting our relation out to the air."

Ambrois jerked his head stiffly. "Well I'm so sorry to spoil your precious plans but-"

"But nothing boy...now you'll just have to help me make new ones. I think it's time we head back to the ship. We'll need your deceptive little friend and his traitorus bitch of a girlfriend to help. Afterall, the more devious deviants plotting something, the better."

Jade straightened, looking at Angelo curiously. "What exactly are we plotting if you don't mind me asking?"

Angelo glanced back, smile now devlish. "Why, we're plotting how to get me into the High Lord's chair without all of you being riddled with bullets."
-------------------------------

So, what might their plan be? Trickery and deception? Something straight forward? Is there some way to show force despite the fact there are several wounded in the small crew? It's all up to you, be creative.
----------------------------

At last, it's back, it's improved. And I hope you liked it.

"Music makes you braver."

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
9744 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose suggesting Cobalt sleep her way for favors is out of the question so...

*smiles* I'll have to go think for awhile. I can't just snap out anything for you like I used to my old friend. But I'll try to think of something for you.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
The Meaning Of Fear
Respected Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
2439 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
clear that Mange would have no oppertunity to attack

opportunity.

Quote:
Chests heaving as lungs gulped down air the same way Angelo gulped ale

Laughing Angelo drinks more ale than normal people breathe in air? Wow!

Quote:
Their muscles quivered with fatiuge

fatigue

Quote:
there was an oppertunity to be had

opportunity

Quote:
dissuaded as Angelo rose, sword and pistole drawn

pistols, maybe?

Huzzah! New chapter!

I missed this... took a long time to come back, but again, HUZZAH!

As long as it's going to be dangerous anyway, they might as well have the chance to bash some faces in. I'm all for the direct approach.

And what's Angelo going to do with the position of High Lord? Don't tell me it's something to do with booze. Razz

Doors to the truth, an SG where a boy is propelled into worlds he is unfamiliar with. He crosses many worlds, and sees many things that force him to throw away his innocence, once, and for all. Fourth Chapter, out for viewing!
Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
6104 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mayhap they have within their possession a projector that will fill the deck with sailors, with there really being only three or four on deck?

sorry to take so long to get back rai...i will try to be a bit more rapid in response next chappy.

eminem

without the threat of death,
there is no reason to live at all

marilyn manson
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo Meph. Sorry I missed you. You just squeaked in for the vote.

The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
5046 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make the exact opposite of a show of force. Limp in and beg for medical aid for the walking wounded. Try and make their wounds seem worse than they are, and if possible pretend Angelo or Saul or someone is also wounded. That will get them in and there won't (obviously) be as tight a guard on them if they seem wounded and unable to fight. Then they have the element of surprise, and can wing it from there.

Tea Cures All.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hey, it's polling.

Which means you could vote humm?

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
10415 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gahh. I tied it...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Galleons of the Stars All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: