Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Heavy Metal - Chapter 16: The Big Questions

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Skiffiville - Science Fiction and Experimental SGs -> Heavy Metal
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Heavy Metal - Chapter 16: The Big Questions Reply with quote

Heavy Metal
Chapter 16
The Big Questions

“Well, I guess,” Walt began after some considerable stroking of his chin, “this would be my grand opportunity to ask the BIG questions, eh?”

Michael, the angelic figure by his side, chuckled warmly, the baritones of his voice finding it impossible to avoid harmonizing with the disembodied quire that saturated the silver hallway. “Yes, Walter, this would be the time to clear up all those curiosities that have inspired your journey.”

“Hmm,” Walt paused in the hallway to ponder some more. “Ok, how am I supposed to walk here?”

The angel looked taken aback, realizing he’d allowed himself the luxury of an oversight. “Oh, yes, I suppose you would be finding it a bit difficult to get around. The gravity here is quite different to that of Earth and you have not the ability to adjust your density to accommodate.”

“Adjust my density?” Walt asked, arching an eyebrow. Thus far he’d been uncomfortably hopping along, each step forcing an unnaturally long delay for his feet to return to the floor whilst the angel had maintained a steady, gliding pace. It was not entirely unlike trying to walk underwater.

“We don’t use the wings for lift, so much as for thrust, you see. Ironically, our ability to adjust our weight is based on a biological application of the very technology you so…” Michael paused considering his words, “innovatively employed to travel here.

In fact, you may be intrigued to note that our wings are telempathic projections of our soul. We can retract them into our flesh as we please and in their physical manifestation, they will always aesthetically reflect what is in our hearts. You could say we ‘wear our feelings on our sleeves’… that is something you say in the United States, is it not?”

“Yep,” Walter conceded, “but that doesn’t help me to get around in this funny half-weightlessness, now does it?”

“No, I suppose not,” the angel chortled once more. “Here,” he said as he threw his thick arm around the old man’s shoulder. “Had you gone on with your life without this journey, you’d someday soon need such assistance to hold you up as you walk. Here, you will need it to hold you down.” Michael smiled mirthfully.

Walt harrumphed though he did find it easier to move with some downward pressure, and the angel’s touch felt… warm, soothing, like a cup of hot cocoa on a winter’s eve. He tried warning himself to remain vigilant, but the sensation of peace that radiated from the being made feeling wary difficult.

Nevertheless, he managed to identify some concerns that had been rattling around in the back of his mind as they traipsed down the long flat-floored tube.

“What are you intending to do with me once God and I have finished with our little chat?” Walt asked.

“Well, that will depend, as all our determinations always do, on His will. However, as it stands now, I believe you are to be released back to your ship such that you may return peacefully,” Michael’s voice rumbled through his chest and through Walter’s body, causing a comforting shiver to scintillate down his spine.

“You’re not going to erase my memories?” Walt asked, surprised by the angel’s reply.

“Doubtful,” Michael answered with a smile. “You aren’t the first to meet with him and go on to tell the tale, you know. There’s a word for those that have had such experiences.”

“Prophet…” Walt said with some awe. Heh, imagine ME a prophet! he thought cynically.

“Stranger means have been utilized to attain a connection with God, Walter Steele. Though, true, perhaps His message for you is not one for the masses as it has been with many well known prophets.” Michael seemed to Walt that he knew more than he was letting on. But something told the silver-haired astronaut that if the angel was withholding anything, it would soon be revealed in this imminent meeting with the divine.

“Alright, then, fair enough. And, not to harp on fears or anything,” the use of the term ‘harp’ struck an ironic chord with Walt momentarily, and he almost chuckled at himself before continuing, “but this all seems like it could really be rather contrived. I mean, it just seems like I’m being approached the way you know I should be approached. You’re in my head after all. So… I guess what I mean is… If I were a Hindi, would all this be the same? Would you still be appearing to me as an angel or would you be some four armed, blue-skinned dude with a red dot on his forehead?”

Michael smiled widely, his pearl white teeth gleaming in the soft light that filled the tunnel from no obvious source. “I would still be as you see me now, Walter Steele.

However, consider that our skin, like our wings, presents itself physically as a reflection of our souls within. The more intellectually centered among us tend towards a blue skin-tone. And for some of us, our wings manifest as additional arm appendages.

But these things are subject to change and alter with our moods as well. You may see us as green skinned when we are infatuated, or envious, though such are differing in tone. The pink white skin you see me with now is a reflection of my centered inner calm. Many of us strive to maintain this state of mind. It brings out our ‘charming and diplomatic’ side.” Michael winked at Walt in a friendly gesture. All the while, his tone of voice never wavered from one of patience and reassurance.

Walt was glad the angel was discussing these matters verbally. Perhaps Michael had realized that the telepathic communication had been unsettling.

A light was growing at the end of the tunnel. And the beauteous singing had been edging upwards in volume. Near the end of the tunnel, Walt could see a drastic incline approaching, the light spilling down from above. The hall did not veer off at quite a ninety degree angle, but steeply inclined to the point that he was beginning to wonder if it would eventually become a straight vertical shaft.

“You know,” Walt mused, “All of this is reminding me of what people report after near death experiences. What’s up with that anyhow?”

“The world of the spirit is not so bound to spatial relations in the same manner as the physical world,” Michael answered. “It is ordained for spirits to come to this hallowed place for their… debriefing let’s call it. Some would say it is so they may be ‘judged’ but this is not entirely accurate. Regardless, after death, many spirits travel here to have audience with God before completing their transcendence.”

“Transcendence? Ok, so, yeah, now you have me interested,” Walt exclaimed, “what’s the deal with the ‘afterlife’? What exactly happens after we die?”

“Oooh,” the angel smacked his lips, “that’s a tough one to answer, really.”

“But you said spirits travel here after they die, right? So you obviously know something!”

“Yes, the problem is not any lack of knowledge. Rather, it is how I must express it to you.” An intensely thoughtful look settled on Michael’s face as Walt began to feel something akin to a ‘tickle’ inside his brain. “I’m sorry to intrude,” Michael said before Walt could comment, “But I need to understand your perspectives and assumptions on the matter before I can answer you in a way you will comprehend.”

“Um… makes sense I guess…” Walt grumbled though Michael seemed mentally distant, then snapped back to nearly interrupt Walter’s statement.

“You do not fully understand what a soul is.” Michael stated matter-of-factly.

“Uh, yeah, thus the question,” Walt said but was unable to finish before Michael, a glazed blue glow shining from his eyes, continued to speak, almost as if he were, in some way, possessed or channeling.

“The soul is what you are. It is the center of your perspective. You are not your body. Your body is your soul’s vessel. It limits you to understanding only the experiences of your current lifespan… at least the one you are in does – not all species maintain this quality – even some humans can break through this mental barrier. When they do, they realize that they have had many lives, and will have many lives to come.” Michael paused, presumably to allow Walt to process what he was expressing.

“Kinda blows the whole Heaven and Hell being eternal thing doesn’t it?” Walt harrumphed. He’d never been much of a believer in reincarnation and past-life memories.

“Heaven and Hell are frames of existence. It is possible to become spiritually trapped in these frames. They are ‘layers’ of inter-dimensional reality that overlap the one you know. In fact, they are better expressed as ‘directions’ of travel through such layers. Hell is a ‘denser’ frequency of reality while ‘Heaven’ is a higher frequency. Each layer seems much like the ones they border, making traversing these layers nearly imperceptible to the traveler. You, yourself, even in your own lifetime, have traversed many such layers of existence without ever realizing you did.”

“Huh?” Walt felt rather confused.

“With each layer, however, reality is ever so slightly different. The further one ascends layers, the more pleasant and uplifting life seems to be. Those who exist on such frequencies have a hard time understanding how life could be negatively perceived. The opposite is true for those who exist in the lower layers. The fascinating aspect of this is that many layers overlap in such a simultaneous manner that people you meet will invariably differ in the layer of reality they exist in.

You’re Mother, for example, was a very kind and happy person who simply did not understand the sordid side of life, could not comprehend depression, and maintained a vast and impenetrable optimism towards every challenge she ever faced. She existed in a ‘higher’ frame of reality. She lived a more Heavenly existence throughout her life. And in fact, her reality was a much more pleasing one than it is for many Humans.

Simultaneously, your Father was living in a very serious, very threatening, extremely stressful world where no missteps could be allowed for fear of crushing failure and defeat. His was a more ‘Hellish’ existence.

While this has been noted by Humans, they tend to see this effect as being the product of ‘perspective’. There is some truth in this. However, their ‘perspective’ is also largely a reflection of the layer of reality they exist in. It is a product of the TRUTH they recognize about their lives and the world as they understand it.”

“Ok?” Walter said, still sounding a bit lost as to where all this would go to bring them back to the topic of the afterlife.

“What you must realize about these layers of reality is, that one can travel so far from another in their frame of existence that the other person completely disappears from their lives. Creation makes this seem to be a matter of ‘falling out of touch’ or ‘forgetting about a person’ but in reality, they have really disappeared – the greater the disparity between the frames they exist in, the less likely they are to ever interact. The two now exist in entirely differing frames of reality.

Now, where the future is grim and dark for the one who exists in the Hellish frame, it is still alive and vibrant and full of potential for the one who exists in the Heavenly frame.”

“Are you telling me,” Walt began to try to piece this all together, “that if I’m all happy and life’s full of roses, and… say… a meteor strikes the Earth, then because I’m all positive and stuff, I won’t experience it? My world will go on without the meteor while Bill the bad boy is there with the rest of those eradicated?”

“Precisely,” Michael explained. “The physics is difficult to wrap a Human’s mind around as you have been firmly entrenched in the belief that there is only one answer for the way something is. You see only one story to a person’s life. But the reality is that the paths through life are infinite, and all of them happen, simultaneously. What you experience is a matter of what frame of experience you exist in.”

“Ok, so now you’re talking about parallel universes and such.” Walt connected the dots.

“Yes, the way you would understand it… except that they are not so distinct from one another but a gradient blend from one end of a spectrum to another.”

The scientist in Walt grabbed that explanation and found it satisfactory to achieving some understanding of what the angel was trying to get across. Regardless, he had to ask, “But that doesn’t really explain the afterlife does it?”

“The spirit continues to exist, Walter Steele. It always has and it always will. There are some few horrific means known in the universe to eradicate a soul, but provided you never encounter the employ of such a thing, your soul will never know an end to experience.

Souls have limited capacity to sense the physical realm, as they exist in a timeless state that would be difficult to explain to your mathematical understanding of spatial relations. Suffice it to say, their interactions in this world are largely confined to where their emotions draw them.

Emotions are part of the body, but they are carried as memories in the soul. Emotions, in fact, are the primary reason souls choose to incarnate into a new life form where the opportunities to generate new feelings present themselves. Being in the spirit is much like being in a dream. Reality flows without a clear connection to cause and effect, but rather like a swim through an emotional pool of life-memories.

This is critical to understand because emotions are what define our frame of reality as either Hellish or Heavenly. It is the content of our emotional well that determines where we exist. If we bear guilt, we tend to be dense, drifting into the Hellish layers.

If our conscience is clean, we float into the higher realms. Humans have a vast capacity to deny what they really feel so as to pretend that they are not present in the lower frames they have found themselves in. This way of adjusting ‘perspective’ is in error and is a part of the trap these frames weave to encase the soul in suffering.”

“I can certainly see what you mean there,” Walt said gruffly.

“Can you?” Michael turned to look so deep into Walt’s eyes that Walter felt as if the Angel’s starlit pupils were glaring through his soul. “Can you truly grasp what I am telling you Walter Steele?”

Walt felt like he might be somehow missing the point here but was so unnerved by the sudden shift of personality from Michael that he simply stammered, “Well, uh, yeah. I mean, denial is pretty much the Human norm, right? You see it all the time. ‘Specially on the Vegas freeways!”

Michael smiled, but there was a touch of sadness on his lips this time that gave Walt a sudden shiver.

The angel then said, as he returned to walking towards the nearing incline, “Souls come here after death to review their state of being. This is why it is called judgment. The Lord helps them to see who they are, who they have become, and who they could have been. This helps them to heal from the many wounds that souls incur during their travels through life, particularly on the trying planet you call Earth.

From there, they process their experiences. Some may remain here, some moving on to other regions of the Kingdom of God, and others still holding on to their denials and remaining locked in their tortured existences. Invariably, all of them will eventually long to incarnate into a lifeform once more and will eventually take on a new body. This is the best I can explain to you regarding the afterlife for now.”

“So what’s the point then? You know… of life?”

Michael smiled wide and full. “To experience, my friend. To experience. You are an expression of the source of Creation. You are a window into Creation itself and the source desires all experiences, therefore you walk whatever road you desire and it will please Creation.”

“You say ‘Creation’ like I might have said ‘God’ but I noticed you used it with a distinct differentiation. That’s interesting coming from someone who seems comfortable using the terms ‘the Lord’ and ‘God’.” Walt pointed this out to preface the next question on his mind. “So help me understand this then. What, or Who is God? I figure this is pretty important to understand given I’m about to meet the guy.”

“Yes, I realized you would want some definition to who He is before meeting with him,” Michael said softly, the azure glow now diminished from his eyes, replaced by his usual gentle countenance.

“But we have reached a point where I must carry you. I will explain as we move on from here,” Michael stated, bringing Walt’s attention back to the fact that the incline beneath them had become rather steep. Michael moved behind Walt and hugged the old man under the arms, holding him close and tight like a father might carry a son.

As the angel spread his wings, Walt swallowed hard. He knew what must be coming.

Michael launched off the ground, but the lurch was gentler than the aging senior had expected. The flight felt much like… taking off in the Independent, he realized. Gradually, aided by a few thrusts from the angel’s wings, they accelerated through the tunnel. Walt found the sensation felt far safer than he’d assumed it would.

The tunnel stretched on and upwards for as far as the eye could see. Each moment brought them nearer to a bright glowing light and those angelic voices in song. Walt was finding it increasingly difficult to believe that he wasn’t dead. Something was so… incredibly familiar about it all.

Michael’s voice in his ear caused him a start, a jolt coursing through his veins. “God and you, meaning Humanity, have much in common, biologically and spiritually speaking. It is not in error that it is written in the Bible that Man was made in His image. Well, more properly, OUR image.

However, there came a time in your history that the Lord determined that He would leave the Human race to understand Him more as a spiritual Father… a distant deity rather than a present being on Earth, as he and his brethren once were.”

“His brethren? What, you mean angels like yourself?” Walt found himself speaking a bit louder now with the wind whistling through his hair and the growing volume of the choir.

“Yes. But they who came from the Heavens to Earth are from a previous generation from mine own. They are our ancestors though they still live to this day as they are for all intents and purposes immortal.”

“You say THEY but also call God HE. Which is it then?,” Walter hollered.

“There is much to understand about this, Walter Steele. God, as he is known to be now, was once a mere prince of a greater nation, given command of the colony planet you call Earth by His Father, whom has since decided to pass into a final ascension. When An, his father, passed his spirit to creation, he imparted his foremost son with his mantle of Godhood over the solar system as a whole.”

“Only the solar system? What about the rest of the galaxy?”

“There are many divine entities, Walter Steele. Here, He is the Lord.”

“So, what, he’s Jesus Christ or something?” Walt tried to clarify.

“No, the Christ was his only son by a Human woman. You would know him as Jehova, or perhaps Yahweh. He has been called many names.”

“Yeah… the towelheads like to call him ‘Allah’ right?”

Walter felt the angel smirk from behind him. “I will never understand the brutal capacity for Human beings to accept hatred into their hearts. You cannot be blamed for it I suppose. It is we who teach you to war such that we might empower you to stand on your intergalactic ‘feet’ someday.”

Walt felt a shudder of guilt at having spouted the term in front of this holy creature.

“That sense of shame is not where you should end your process of emotional development, Walter Steele. It is that guilt which warns you that you are drifting lower through the frames of existence. Use that feeling to guide you to a better self, and thus a better reality.”

Walt pondered the angel’s words for a moment before his thoughts were broken by further discussion.

“Allah is not God. He is God’s first son. In ancient times, he was known as Nannar. He is the Lord of the World we are currently in, however, as he has always been the master of this planetesimile you call ‘the Moon’. The connection to who Allah was in your ‘ancient era’ has been long forgotten despite the fact that the people of the region you call the ‘middle-east’ still use his ancient symbol of the crescent moon to represent him. Today, memory of what was once the most popular worshipped God in the world has become what you call Islam.

You may be shocked to discover that the Lord and Allah are staunch allies. They always have been. And they are nearly peers in power, although since An’s passing, the Lord’s influence and authority has become indisputable.”

It seemed entirely foreign to Walt to think of God as having relatives, let alone that his family members might be called God by another culture. This served to sever a degree of reverence in Walt, who suddenly felt a bit suspicious once more.

“What kind of powers then does ‘God’ control?” Walt asked.

“Although your tone borders on the acceptable limits of disrespect, Walter Steele, I understand the nature of your question and why you ask it. Scientific thinking among Humans has been disconnecting them from faith for quite some time now. This is why He cannot be entirely forthright with Humanity. You tend to think of yourselves as equals if you can see it, touch it, interact with it. If it is an authority figure, you, by nature, tend to seek to overthrow it.

Again, such traits are very much in God’s image as well. God is practical and empirical. And to make matters yet further tense between Humanity and God, He and his brethren, you may call them the Elohim, rose up to overthrow their own gods at a point in their history. You may know that the Greeks told some of these stories and called the creators of the Elohim the ‘Titans’.

To answer your question pointedly, God wields the full power and might of creation itself. He is the Voice of creation in this solar system, the ultimate authority. As a result of His connection to the source and the mantle he wields as the Lord, his power here is infinite. He sometimes has trouble differentiating himself from the source but thus is the nature of his connection. You may address Him as you would address the sum total of all things.

His son, Allah, Nannar, whatever you wish to call him, wields the same power here among the Moon sphere. But if there were any contest between them where their ability to command reality is concerned, the Lord would clearly be instantly victorious as his connection to the Divine Source is ultimate over the system within which the Moon exists. Thus, Allah has authority only so far as the Lord allows such authority. This may help you to understand the nature of the Powers.”

“Hmph… I can’t say I really understand all that completely,” Walt shrugged in the angel’s arms.

“I understand it is confusing to Human Beings. It is not something He really wishes fully understood so as to suppress some of your genetic predisposition towards revolution – not that any such revolution could possibly succeed. He wishes to love your people and receive your love. It really is that simple. It is like the relationship between a parent and His child – in fact that is exactly what it is, as it was the Elohim who created Humanity.”

“And the Heavens and the Earth from what I recall,” Walt interjected.

“This claim is made valid through their blended connection to the source of creation. It is their spirits who dreamed this world to be as it is.

Creation is much like an act of lucid dreaming. We have theoretical debates here in an attempt to understand if Creation inspired the dream, if the dreamer ‘found’ a place in Creation, or if the dreamer was given authority by Creation to create something Creation had not yet considered. But such discourses would be foreign to the Human mindset so although I am an avid philosopher, I shall not muddy the waters of your mind yet further.” Walt could hear the smile in Michael’s voice.

What struck Walt was that even the angels didn’t seem to know all the facts.

“We are incarnate beings, Walter Steele, and as a result, we are limited to a framework to understand Creation from. Our perspective alone limits understanding everything. Thus I cannot claim to know all.”

“Can God?” Walt asked, recalling a verse in the Bible claiming God to be omniscient.

“God does not always exist in a physical body. He only does so when he wishes to show us his purest manifestation of his original self. God CAN know whatever he wishes to but a mind can only hold so much at once, though His can hold nearly everything that transpires in this system simultaneously. Such is the gift of his mantle.”

“I’ve heard you use that term a couple times now – mantle. What do you mean by that?”

“We have evolved to understand things Humanity has not, Walter Steele. Mantles are what define our power focuses. We all have at least a limited spiritual power over reality that you may call ‘Magic’. Humans have this ability but are not given to know it nor how to access it. It is an ability that springs from the soul. The slant of its definition is called a mantle.

This is why in your ancient era, the gods were known for varied powers and realms of influence. Command of the Wind and Sky, for example, is a mantle, and it is the one that the Lord wielded during the days when Humanity knew him physically.

His mantle has expanded as He was given An’s mantle when His Father passed. That mantle is what gives God his Divine connection to Creation and what gives him his authority over reality here.

To help you understand this from a ‘polytheistic’ perspective, you may think of the Lord as ‘the God of Gods, the Lord of the Solar System.”

“Wow… that kinda makes sense… sorta. If you were just a neighbor sharing your theories with me I’d say you were a crackpot. But I guess since its coming from you I can take it as fact. It sounds farfetched but then again, we’re flying towards that bright light everyone comes back from the dead talking about too… so there’s probably something to what you’re saying here,” Walt commented.

After a moment of thinking, Walt added, “So why allow all the different religions then? Why not just tell us the truth and let it be what it is? Why are we kept in the damned dark about it all? Is God afraid of us?”

Michael chuckled again, “No, Walter Steele. God is NOT afraid of you. He has tried many approaches to managing Humans without stripping them of their freedoms while attempting to manage a great many issues regarding the process.

Suffice it to say, He explained different things to different peoples in attempts to address what they needed at the time. He’s tried the old transparency route and to be honest, it just didn’t work. Humans repeatedly proved too difficult to work with that way, for a great many reasons.

You may recall, in the Bible, where it discusses the atrocities Humans were committing against my race? Where it discusses how Humans refused to be considered less than the gods and attempted to build a…” he paused for a moment as if looking for the right word, “tower to the Heavens so that they could be like God? Where it talks about how incapable humanity is of choosing a moral road through life? These things cause problems for the Lord where full transparency is concerned.”

“Yeah, well, I haven’t forgotten that you also said you were ‘teaching us to war’. What’s that all about? Population control?”

“Perhaps as a side-effect. There are threats in the galaxy, Walter Steele. God wishes Humanity to eventually be exactly what it desires to be, fully self-realized. But to do so, Humans must ‘grow up’. It is just like raising a child to face a dangerous environment. There are enemies of this solar system, enemies of God and of Man. If Humanity is to stand shoulder to shoulder with the Elohim, they will need to be advanced in strategies, tactics, and the art of war in general. For war is always at our borders and it is but the Lord’s power that keeps it at bay at all.”

“Who’s the enemy then? Satan?”

Michael’s voice saddened an octave. “Hmm… that’s a special case… more of an ongoing civil war you might say. There are external factors as well. Other species recognize the value of the planet you call Earth. You could see it as ‘prime galactic real-estate’ really. The Elohim crafted it quite lovingly. At the core, however, it is envy, greed, and malice that make up the essence of the enemies of Human and Elohim alike.”

“A civil war? Ok, so tell me more… Who IS the Devil then?” Walt felt he was pinching a nerve asking this question but he’d always wanted desperately to understand what the truth WAS where the mythical embodiment of evil was concerned.

“Let’s call him a renegade. The real story there isn’t the one you’ve probably been told, about the first angel revolting against God and so on. It’s far deeper than that. It has been deemed spiritually unhealthy for Humans to be told the full story so I apologize but my hands are somewhat tied here. Still, I’ll tell you this such that you might be able to piece the story together.

The Devil, Satan as you call him, is the Lord’s brother. He has vast disagreements with God and is not content to allow them to be without challenge. Some of my brethren even feel that he alone has the right to challenge the Lord and I can understand the basis of their claims. I, however, see only that those who follow him are hopelessly lost in the darker layers of reality…” A moist droplet fell on Walt’s shoulder. It felt both warm and cold at the same time and his skin literally vibrated under the liquid before it evaporated in the breeze.

“I’m sorry I cannot go into much more detail. The Devil WAS once one of the best of us. That side of the story is true. It’s hard to accept what he has become now.”

“Is he as powerful as God then?” Walt asked, hungry for more despite Michael’s protests.

“No.” Michael said simply, leaving it at that.

For a time they flew in silence, the light ahead growing ever closer still. Walt was going to ask why God allows the Devil to exist but something clicked when Michael explained the Darklord was God’s brother. The whole idea of God having family still seemed ridiculous to Walt but then, he reminded himself that he never had any reason to think he knew anything about any of this… only what he’d ever been told or exposed to.

But a question still persisted that seemed relevant. “So… why DOES God allow bad things to happen then?” he asked.

“Creation is an act of making something out of nothing,” Michael answered. “To make something good and right, something must equally be defined as evil and wrong. This is the law of creation. Not even God can change the core definitions that allow for Creation to be.”

Walt nodded, suspecting the answer was the simplest it could be without going into ultra-philosophical depth about the ‘frames of reality’ and such.

“Some would say that God is angry with Humans and will destroy us all soon. Is there anything to this? Is Armageddon around the corner?” Walt suddenly asked.

“Yes. But it is not God’s desire for Humanity to be destroyed. What you call Armageddon is the experience to come of those who exist on the lower layers. In the higher realms of experience, the change will be an amazing thing to behold, full of wonder and joy. What is happening is simply the changing of an age.

Long ago, God defined 12 ages, points on the solar system’s clock that related to its place in the rest of the galaxy. Life under a given sign has some universally defining features. Your written histories go as far back as the age of Taurus. We now enter the age of Aquarius. At the changing of an age, there are always amazing events and great changes.

When we entered the current age, that of Pisces, God gave humanity his first and only Son born of a human. What transpired from there defined the age. For some, this will be a very turbulent time, possibly violent and destructive. For others it will be an awakening to a bold new world of life and love. It depends on who you are and in what frame you exist I suppose.”

“So does that mean all we have to do to avoid ‘God’s wrath’ is to become better people?” Walt asked incredulously.

“Now you are beginning to see the light,” Michael said as they suddenly emerged through the tunnel into a vast and open plain, one which appeared quite natural and Earthy. Luminance filled the sky as if the sun were not an orb but a blanket over the whole place.

Everywhere he looked, Walt saw other angels, both male and female, flittering about. All were perfectly beautiful, wearing billowing silk white robes. Some lounged next to crystal clear creek waters while others held discourse under majestic oak trees.

It was as if he had entered the most beautiful park he had ever seen, one which stretched on as far as the eye could see, twisting his concept of measurements to the brink. Could he still even be inside the Moon?

“Welcome,” Michael announced as he placed Walt down on the cool, crunchy grass, “to the Kingdom of God.” He waved his hand to present the lush gardenscape.

In the distance, Walt saw an imposing mountainous peak stretching into the brightest of the illumination. It was as if the clouds here were made of light itself and the mountaintop were lost in the luminous haze.

“Now, I realize we’ve talked about a lot of things here,” Michael smiled warmly, the light glinting epically off his eyes, his entire form bathed in a radiant glow under the light overhead, “I can hear your mind still moving though. As we make our way to God’s abode, please feel free to continue to pose whatever questions remain.”

Ok, another fairly long one (sorry). And I didn’t even get to every question. So there’s still some on the plate here, some fuel for the next chapter. But I thought some of what I brought up may have inspired some new perspective and thus some new curiosities. I also thought I might inspire some interesting commentary. So, anyhow, I hope this one didn’t drone on too much… let me know if you felt it did.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...

Last edited by Thunderbird on Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating reading TB - are you some kind of Prophet? *giggles*

The idea of these gradients/layers of existance is most intriguing. I was trying to get my head around it, but Walt's leap of understanding took me by surprise.

Quote:
“that if I’m all happy and life’s full of roses, and… say… a meteor strikes the Earth, then because I’m all positive and stuff, I won’t experience it? My world will go on without the meteor while Bill the bad boy is there with the rest of those eradicated?”

Tricky physics indeed. Surely it either hits or it doesn't, as a physical body of rock? I could understand those being in a higher frame being more likely to escape harm/injury, but to not experience it at all?

Quote:
“What you must realize about these layers of reality is, that one can travel so far from another in their frame of existence that the other person completely disappears from their lives. Creation makes this seem to be a matter of ‘falling out of touch’ or ‘forgetting about a person’ but in reality, they have really disappeared – the greater the disparity between the frames they exist in, the less likely they are to ever interact. The two now exist in entirely differing frames of reality.

This one I'm struggling with. In concept, it's genius. But... Say you're in a relatively hellish frame, and watch the 6 o'clock news every night. The news reader though is a heavenly thinker, and is slowly rising higher. S/he suddenly reaches a point where their frame is so different to the hellish that they've disappeared. To the hellish person watching the news, do they have a new, more hellish new reader replace them, simulaneously whilst the heavenly one continues broadcasting to the good viewers? Does some 'event' manifest to explain the disappearance? It would seem our history would be rife with an awful lot more 'missing people' if they just disappear with no event to explain it.

The 'falling out of touch' is a cunning clause, but in the age of social networking / facebook, I receive updates (whether I want them or not) on the minutiae of the lives of all sorts of people I would ordinarily consider 'out of touch with'. Unless of course 'Creation' is feeding false updates into facebook *chuckles*

Then there's the fact of hidden criminals, and evils. Those who act nice, friendly to gain access to their victims. Rapists, Murderers. Surely such low framed people wouldn't even be aware of the existance of good people? Was Mother Terasa just a myth to such people, was she effectively invisible to any who could consider he harm?

~

Quote:
If we bear guilt, we tend to be dense, drifting into the Hellish layers. If our conscience is clean, we float into the higher realms.

From various Roleplaying and writing guides I've read, it is often mentioned during the inevitable chapter on 'roleplaying a villain' that the most convincing villains often see themselves as being the victim, their motives are correct, and therefore their conscience is clean. They don't have guilt. This sounds like it would float them higher!?

Guilt, remorse - these are traits, to my mind, of better minds. Not perfect, of course, but to be able to feel guilt is a sign that not all decency has left the building. If you do something heinous, sure that makes you more dense, but I think guilt/remorse should counter a very small part of the act.

~

Fun to think about, thanks TB.

Happy Writing Smile
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
10415 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's one enormous infodump - and so much that I - and perhaps Walt would probably need to digest it all before asking any more questions.

This is an interestingly thought-out angle on existence, creation and religion, with some plausible explanations tying things together.

Odd - after reading Smee's post - For me I kind of understood the concept of multiple realities, and that people move up and down them depending upon their perspective on things. I believe that you make your own luck... so in this fictional setting I can understand where Walt's coming from when he uses the analogy of hopping to a reality where that destructive meteor misses - where in another reality it hits.

But what can Walt really do now? Does he just accept what Michael is saying, and what God will ultmately say to him? Or does he question it, even disbelieve it?

(actually, it'd be interesting to know what Michael has to say about athiests, agnostics, pagans etc. and how all the Greek, Roman and Norse gods fit into it all)

But right here, right now, I think Walt needs to wake himself up to his immediate situation. We need to know about Bouncer and Thomas, and we need to know why the alien voice in his head told him his memory would be erased, and why Michael is telling him that this is no longer the plan - at least not for the moment.

Something happened between him being 'extracted' from his spaceship, and waking up here, and Walt needs to get to the bottom of it.

An amazing chapter, TB - and on the mindblowing scale I'd score it a 10 out of 10. I liked the little touches of humour, too.
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Smee: The angel had mentioned that there are many parallel layers to a person as well. So unless the difference between frames was drastic enough, you'd probably still interact with everyone as normal (though less with those on lower realms if you were much higher etc...) This gradual 'dissapearance' can only be explained by saying you might not have been watching the news that night simply because your life was bein fulfilled otherwise - at a higher frame you may not have take much notice of the news. It is really a matter of synchronistically experiencing different things. It is not that those people on lower frames don't exist - it is that they are better people in this frame you are in if you've come to a higher range.

It gets a bit trickier there too. Each soul would have a 'range' of frames from which they are centered. Usually, throughout the course of a human life, those exterior frames are never so greatly exceeded that a person would cease to exist for another person... but it is possible, under this Angelic theory, for one to become so 'enlightened' that those of great darkness cease to exist entirely for them... that they could simply 'blink' out of existence to the majority of people (perhaps even vanishing before the eye.)

And yes, where the changes are drastic enough, there can be shifts so vast that massive events take place in some frames where it doesn't in others. Lets say that you travel from a frame where a meteor hits the earth to one that does not... the meteor would simply shrink in size with each shift, so gradually that you would hardly notice until the point at which its nothing more than a shooting star in the frame you're in.

You mentioned modern technology and its role in this and I'd say all connected to modern technology are tied in their frames to each other - to some extent. The technology itself tends to influence our frame of existence and keeps us all clustered - I could go into greater detail here but suffice it to say, the guilt factor is not the only way a person stays in a given frame - there IS more to the story. And the holes in the angel's theories serve to show he hasn't told us everything. (It was a long chapter as it was Wink )

In all frames, an understanding of the opposite pole still remains. It is only past a certain (drastic) point that one can say they are so distant from darkness that it simply ceases to exist for them. (and vice-versa)

About guilt: recall that the angel pointed out the power of denial. Most who bear great guilt do not feel that they do at all. The ability to FEEL guilt is a good thing - it means you are aware of it and being compelled to do something to expell it. Thus, it is the worst people who feel no guilt whatsoever. In short guilt, as a feeling, is telling you the sources of your negative 'karma' (though the angel wouldn't use such a term to the Western minded Walt). It is the Karmic degree of the soul that shifts individuals through various frames. Villains have disabled their ability to feel such remorse and guilt and that IS what makes them tend to gather so much, being numb to it.

@CF:
Thanks for your feedback. Perhaps you're right... I have some questions still remaining, including those you posed again here. Perhaps the real question I should be asking the audience right now is: how much does Walt believe what the angel is telling him?

Zephyrrr! And...
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Topics: 75
Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
18382 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely with Crunchy, this chapter is truly mindblowing, and not least the fact that you thought all of this up. It's an extraordinary piece of writing, the likes of which I couldn't see myself being able to acheive, not in a billion years. It's obvious that you really thought this one out, and it's really paid off. Very well done TB!

I haven't got any ideas for any extra questions that Walt might want to ask Michael yet. In fact, I think I may need to read it through a couple more times before I will have any suggestions, as there is alot, alot, alot of information to embed in this little brain of mine. Wink But I just wanted to say how fabulous a chapter I though it was. Smile

Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Smee: I'd like to add the realization that hit me today regarding the meteor scenario. Another way the meteor could manifest differently throughout different 'frames' could be that it does hit all of them - but those who are of a higher existence may die quickly and painlessly, blissfully released into spirit with pleasant memories of life, while those on the lower frames may live on to suffer through massive devestation. Higher framed beings may experience the event as eye-opening, or as opening the door to a better world thereafter, while lower may only ever understand the negative impacts such an event carries with it.

This doesn't change my earlier answer, it just adds a new way to consider the differences in experiences from one frame to another.

@ Tika: I can't take all the credit here for 'thinking all of this up'. I've done a LOT of research on a LOT of spiritual and historic matters, and this tale is largely my grand attempt to express the sum result of all I have considered throughout my studies. I have read and felt truth in many places, and have disputed much of what was said in all those texts as well. This chapter represents a pretty point blank explanation of some of the bullet points of my ever-developing 'unified' theory. I approach the vast variety of religious and scientific views with the presumption that they are all partly true and attempt to root out what I feel is correct from what I feel is not. This theory blends every religious view I've ever researched along with a growing understanding of Ancient Aliens theory. I could offer some suggested reading to go along with this if you like.

I invite anyone to read this chapter through more than once. There are many small hints I'm dropping to suggest much much more than simply what is being said directly... Wink

All I can say is I've been really nervous about writing this chapter as it and some more to come, are very important for me to get right as they pave the way for much of the epic to follow, providing an understanding of 'what is' at the core of my little comic-style universe. Its very much intended to simply get us thinking things we may not have considered before... and I hope I've delivered on that.

Thanks, again, for reading... it means quite a lot to me really as I'm baring my very strange little soul here for all of you to see Smile .

Zephyrrr! And...
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
24787 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Heavy Reply with quote

Yes Thunderbird, 6000 words is huge, but more importantly it could really use more abstraction. For instance:

Quote:
“Transcendence? Ok, so, yeah, now you have me interested,” Walt exclaimed, “what’s the deal with the ‘afterlife’? What exactly happens after we die?”

“Oooh,” the angel smacked his lips, “that’s a tough one to answer, really.”

“But you said spirits travel here after they die, right? So you obviously know something!”

“Yes, the problem is not any lack of knowledge. Rather, it is how I must express it to you.” An intensely thoughtful look settled on Michael’s face as Walt began to feel something akin to a ‘tickle’ inside his brain. “I’m sorry to intrude,” Michael said before Walt could comment, “But I need to understand your perspectives and assumptions on the matter before I can answer you in a way you will comprehend.”

“Um… makes sense I guess…” Walt grumbled though Michael seemed mentally distant, then snapped back to nearly interrupt Walter’s statement.

“You do not fully understand what a soul is.” Michael stated matter-of-factly.

Could easily be presented as:

Quote:
“Transcendence? Ok, so, yeah, now you have me interested,” Walt exclaimed. “What’s the deal with the ‘afterlife’? What exactly happens after we die?”

The angel struggled to answer. Walt felt a tickle inside his mind as the angel appeared distant.

"I'm sorry to intrude," Michael said, "but I needed to understand your perspectives and assumptions on the matter before I could answer you in a way you would comprehend. You do not fully understand what a soul is."

Naturally, there's a distinct style difference between us, but my point is that, to me, there is too much lip smacking and thoughtful pauses trying to grasp at a precise representation of the conversation. I would prefer the condensed version, where only the most important subtleties were mentioned. Also have some faith in the reader to tell the difference between a literal tickle in the brain and figurative one. Call it a tickle, it's a great description that makes a statement quickly, instead of "something akin to a tickle". For that matter, you don't have to say "mentally distant". We know you don't mean he flew away to think about it when he looks "distant".

Thanks for the invitation to criticize. Smile You have great detail in your writing and a strong vision for the story. However, all of this information we're getting is eluding to an entirely new story, as though we've just concluded the prologue. As peaceful as the moon has appeared, knowledge that the soul can be destroyed (even if by extraordinary means) and the devil is actively seeking to stake his claim on Earth makes me far more uneasy than being lost in space with no fuel. We're not approaching any kind of resolution, we're hefting a ton of new troubles onto our shoulders.

I'm not sure where all of this puts Walt, who came on a mission to see the moon and what was on it, but now how more information than he can act on. It doesn't seem to be Walt's destiny. His destiny was to overcome a great obstacle and discover the wonders of the cosmos. He literally found God... how do you top that? How do you go from an old man who has finally achieved everything he ever really wanted to ... what? A holy warrior? A prophet? He's not even spiritual, philosophical, or religious to any real extent (as far as I can tell).

Then of course, there's what you said in Tome City:
Quote:
If you look carefully, I have hinted at some cracks in the angel's story. I thought you of all people might've found them (In otherwords, I'm hoping you, as a reader do bring along with you the thinking encapsulated in the Star Trek quote: "What need does God have for a spaceship?")

So you're saying we should look for the man behind the curtain? Ok. Let's do that. Question everything, trust no one. The truth is out there. Cool

Welcome To Purgatory - current storygame
Please visit my Library of completed works.
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The irony in your comments is stunning, Lebby. I have just begun to go back through, reading my story from the beginning now that I am more distant from the original writing of those chapters. And what I found was much the same as what you pointed out in this chapter. I do tend to use a hell of a lot more words than necessary to say what I'm trying to get across. And I tend to repeat myself a lot. I found that if I were simply a reader, not only would I sometimes get lost in an overwhelming amount of irrelevant detail, but would have often felt that my intelligence were insulted.

I have a problem in thinking that I'm not likely to be very understood so I do try too hard where more careful wording could overcome the problem. I'm not sure how to overcome this except to lay it out there and see those things in retrospect, long after the original writing.

Your example was superb. It makes me wonder why I struggle to simplify so much - but its always been a problem for me. Perhaps its just going to be that aspect of authoring where I'll always need others to help me see how I could have worded things more efficiently.

But then, this is why I invite criticism. It really does help.

On the matter of the storytelling aspect here,
Quote:
However, all of this information we're getting is eluding to an entirely new story, as though we've just concluded the prologue. As peaceful as the moon has appeared, knowledge that the soul can be destroyed (even if by extraordinary means) and the devil is actively seeking to stake his claim on Earth makes me far more uneasy than being lost in space with no fuel. We're not approaching any kind of resolution, we're hefting a ton of new troubles onto our shoulders.

I hope you don't mean that you're being made uneasy by the suggestion that this tale might be just a 'beginning' to perhaps many more? Because you are apt enough to observe that indeed, this story IS very much my overall prologue, intended to encapsulate an introduction into a much larger story (or collection of stories rather.) And I'm hoping the suggestion of this is not somehow daunting.

Quote:
So you're saying we should look for the man behind the curtain? Ok. Let's do that. Question everything, trust no one. The truth is out there.

Well, from what we learned about Walt in chapter 6, I'd say that would certainly keep him 'in character'. I suppose what I would want to ask you then, presuming we'd like to adopt this approach for Walt, is what aspects of the story, as told so far, would he be feeling suspicious of?

Zephyrrr! And...
Emperor
Citizen

Topics: 29

Items
Legends
2041 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird wrote:
The irony in your comments is stunning, Lebby. I have just begun to go back through, reading my story from the beginning now that I am more distant from the original writing of those chapters. And what I found was much the same as what you pointed out in this chapter. I do tend to use a hell of a lot more words than necessary to say what I'm trying to get across. And I tend to repeat myself a lot. I found that if I were simply a reader, not only would I sometimes get lost in an overwhelming amount of irrelevant detail, but would have often felt that my intelligence were insulted.

I have a problem in thinking that I'm not likely to be very understood so I do try too hard where more careful wording could overcome the problem. I'm not sure how to overcome this except to lay it out there and see those things in retrospect, long after the original writing.

Your example was superb. It makes me wonder why I struggle to simplify so much - but its always been a problem for me. Perhaps its just going to be that aspect of authoring where I'll always need others to help me see how I could have worded things more efficiently.

But then, this is why I invite criticism. It really does help.

As you well know Thunder, I too suffer from over verbiage and I also find myself repeating what I have just wrote. And I also find myself repeating what I have just wrote.... okay bad jokes aside. I do think that, though these are things you should try your best to be aware of, but in essence it is okay to do so as well. All in all, in my opinion, it was that much of a problem as I saw it and in general as your first writing things up - if this "habit" helps your initial writing process then there is always time for "clean up" when your done. You do bring up an excellent point about the reader being potentially insulted, it is something I never thought of myself and I wonder how close to home that observation is?

I think that as long as you keep yourself open to these critiques, allow yourself to see your error's and where you could improve - then you are on the right path. The only way to learn from your mistakes is to make them in the first place.
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks E... I was sorta thinking the same way. Reminding myself its just a first draft... that said - I'm really thinking of going through the whole story for a full on edit phase. Reading back through it has shown me a great many blaring errors I couldn't see before. Let's just say, I can see how some may never make it through to the parts of this story that I feel would catch a reader.

Zephyrrr! And...
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
24787 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird wrote:
The irony in your comments is stunning, Lebby.

Ironic in what way? That's such a tricky word, I'm not sure what you mean. I think I may have taken your invitation a little too eagerly and I'm sorry about that. What we decide to describe as authors reflects what we consider important to the story. The inflections, social awkwardness, and the intracies of body language are not trifles, it is just my opinion that with so much information to digest in the last chapter, I would prefer more abstraction. Please don't go tearing up your chapters looking for ways to reduce the details merely for the sake of streamlining them. I was only referring to the latest chapter in my critique, and that was largely in response to the large size of the chapter.

As for the concern that we are just concluding the prologue... ok, yeah, I'm worried. I like prologues to be as short as possible in storygames. I want to get to the guts of the story at the very beginning and work towards a meaningful conclusion. If Heavy Metal is intended to be the figurehead of a collections of stories, or a saga if you will, great, just give us some closure along the way. Luke Skywalker destroyed the Death Star and Beowulf killed Grendel long before the final chapters of their stories. Walt has just achieved something great, give him a conclusion of some kind before launching him into a battle between heaven and hell and aliens and humanity. We have enough loose ends that need some kind of tying up before we get a whole new collection of loose ends.

Of course, this is personal taste. Especially these days, I've been favoring the faster paced SG's. I would wait for more participants to comment before drawing your conclusions.

Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no don't worry, Leb's... I wasn't taking offense. And my reaction is more to my own self-criticism regarding my earlier reading of chapters 1-4 (ugh...). It was poignant what you noted as it was much what I was picking out in my writing as something to consider. A streamline edit is definately in order... not just here, in this chapter. In fact, what you pointed out was probably a very minor adjustment compared to other areas I felt needed more addressing - it was just along the same lines as my own thinking. I meant 'ironic' in a more appreciative way than I think it could have been read to have meant.

Honestly, I would love to have you and Crunchy (and maybe Smee if he's willing) give the whole story a thorough once over when I've wrapped it up. Your contributions to such a final edit would really help to break down the weaknesses in my own writing style.

As for the prologue issue - this tale certainly has a resolution point we're approaching. As with any 'first installment' it will definately leave the door open for a lot more but there is something coming that I have been building my hints at since chapter 1. So far, I've felt, despite being led on a number of rabbit-trails thanks to the DPs (which have really enriched and fleshed out the skeleton of a story I had in mind) that the plot has been building to these final scenes quite nicely. I'm really looking forward to seeing how you all react to the conclusion! (and it shouldn't be tooo far off - though I find the chapters don't ever cover as much ground as I thought they would Wink )

Zephyrrr! And...
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's irritating - I wrote a fairly lengthy reply yesterday, arrived today to see responses, and my post isn't there. Internet gremlins!

*tries to remember what he wrote*

I think there was some questions... aah yes. (Note, I expressed these more elegantly yesterday... Wink )

- The solar system really is a rather teeny tiny part of the universe. Seems our God isn't that important in the scheme of things. Do other 'gods' have 'mantles' that cover larger tracts of space, or do they all have similarly small areas with vast amounts of no-mans-land inbetween?

- Why is Earth so special? If the power of Creation is so powerful, wouldn't more have been made of Mars, which really only needs to be a little warmer? To be 'God' of the entire solar system for so long, seems he's been sat on his ass rather a lot, and not been 'creating' much. Or is it there, but hidden from us like the Moon?

- On the galactic warfare scale, is 'God' impressed with the power of Nukes, or are they still rather simplistic/pointless?

Hmmm I think there was more ... but I can't remember.

Aah yes, I think I made some comment about me not finding the chapter too long or wordy at all, but then I was reading it at work where I want to fill as much time as possible. Perhaps if I were reading from home with Warcraft awaiting my presence I'd have views similar to Lebby's Wink

Anyhoo - most stimulating discussion on this chapter, I'm enjoying it.

Happy Writing Smile
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
13801 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Huaahhh Reply with quote

Huaaahhh!!! So, MUch, INFO! *Brain explodes* Ugh *Stands up* well, that was a lot of brain dead info intake...I'll make sense of it later. Heheheh. Info aside, I like the descriptions of the diferent angels, and the park. I have seen this park in many a deam, or so it feels. I also love the walking issue. I would like to see what's happening on earth beore another big info dump, but the chapters are up to you! Sorry it took so long for me to read. First out of state, then cleaning, then...other things, but I'm glad I got to it today!

*Peeks at the info* Ummmm.....You really did do your reasearch, and it really shows here. Kuudos! I can't wait to see how you deal with the rest of the questions, but mostly I look forward to seeing more of "The Kingdom of God"

Keep up the good work!!!

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed you came back and said you were 'back' and I was thinking... He hadn't really been gone for long... then you vanished for about a week - I thought that a bit ironic Wink But it IS nice to see you back Pope Very Happy

And yeah, I know its a lot to take in. But thanks for reading. And yes, I'm opening up a poll in a couple of minutes here for the last chapter so we can return to what's happening with Thomas, etc... back on Earth next week.

Zephyrrr! And...
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
10229 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the use of scientific concepts to explore issues of spirituality is very clever, it doesn't appear that the author intended for it to be interpreted as comedy. Maybe that's what this story needs, some comedy-- like in A Hitch-hikers's Guide to the Galaxy. My feeling is that this story takes itself too seriously... it is too solemn.

If this is a grand attempt to unify all the different theories you have encountered throughout your studies-- which seems like a terribly ambitious project-- why did you choose the form of a science-fiction narrative? Wouldn't you be better off writing an academic paper?

I ask because I want you to truly consider why it is you are writing this kind of literature. Is it the best medium for your purposes?

Let me add that this is the only chapter I have read so far, so my evaluation is limited.
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you should ask, D!

Solemn does seem to fit the tone I'm aiming for. Comedy, while making a more light and perhaps entertaining read, suffers from cheapening the message. South Park does a good job of cleverly utilizing comedy to convey some powerful and meaningful points, but this can almost be offensive to some to weave messages into something that is to be taken seriously.

While I could probably compile enough to write an academic paper, the reality is, I don't know everything, nor all the answers to all the questions I'd like to propose answers to. Thus, I feel that presenting theories into the realm of 'solemn' sci-fi gives me the ability to present these as thoughts to consider, rather than to outright present all the evidence. At the same time, while many may never encounter, or even outright avoid a 'term paper', an exciting and entertaining sci-fi can be read for its proposed theories OR for its enjoyability (or both) without coming off as 'smug' or 'cheap'.

Additionally, in a story format, I have the ability to fill in the missing details with imagination - which may ironically prove to be as or more accurate than any researched conclusions.

This approach has been shown to be valid and effective by such successful franchises as say, 'Star Trek', 'Star Wars', the entire Marvel and DC comic lines and the list goes on. All of these have put much effort into suggesting cutting edge scientific and theoretical conclusions, yet have proposed it oustide the realm of the academic, which is a realm where only that which can be proven to the degree that little doubt may remain is allowed to gain wide visibility. Yet, everyday, science and academy gradually explore the concepts presented in these 'stories' and find many to be true.

Since the realm of discussion that I wish to bring to the audience's consideration is 'radical', I find it is much better presented in Sci-fi form. Since it is potentially a very serious matter, which I feel it is, I have decided to forgo any attempt at presenting it through outright 'comedy'.

Zephyrrr! And...
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
10229 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good explanation. Although from what I remember from Star Trek (at least the original series) there was a fair bit of comedy. I don't think comedy necessarily cheapens the 'message' (does there need to be a message in literature?) if it's done in the right way-- e.g. Shakespeare's As You Like It.

Also, I don't think it's necessary to 'know everything' in order to write an academic paper. Often, academics leave questions unanswered or pose new questions through their writings. But you do make a good point about accessibility-- perhaps a sci-fi narrative will reach more people. If that is the case, however, there needs to be more narrative and less monologue from the angel Michael. It sounds a bit preachy at the moment. Form is neglected in order to concentrate on theory.

But honestly, try not to turn into L. Ron Hubbard. Wink
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's two comments I've recieved stating that the chapter was too 'preachy'. In a strange way, I take that as a positive comment though considering that if it were taken as a comment on the angel's character, it'd be spot on to what I would consider an angel to be.

And, I admit that I allowed theory over form in this chapter. I believe, however, if you were to have read the rest of the story leading up to this point, you may feel it was a bit more warranted.

I went about this trying to stay 'in character' for both Walt and Michael. I can't see how I could have avoided getting 'preachy' in this chapter, especially considering that I would expect the reader to remain questioning of whether Walt's getting the whole story here. But, I CAN understand how that can be unpleasant. So perhaps I'll have to consider ways to adjust it some so it doesn't come off too preachy while keeping Michael in character.

And, yeah, L. Ron Hubbard. A bit of a piece of work that one. Took it a step too far - which was waaaaaaaay too far. I'm certainly not trying to form a new church here by any means. If anything, my motives tend to sway towards the opposite. I personally feel that too many are still stuck in beliefs that aren't taking into consideration some very important details that place those beliefs in question.

Zephyrrr! And...
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, hey all, sorry to double post here but it is for a separate purpose than the last so I figured it was warranted.

Just wanted to say that next weekend should see a new chapter running off of this plot thread. There is no need for a poll this week, but any further thoughts, curiosities, or considerations are more than welcome. As before, this is basically a question/answer DP continuing from the previous one.

I'm considering ways to increase the 'narrative' a bit too. But I'm having a hard time with that, being that if I were Walt, I would be so full of questions that a book's worth of material would be covered here or I wouldn't be satisfied. And I don't want to shortchange this brief, golden opportunity to express a great many things I won't have the opportunity to express again in the future.

But I recognize that we need more 'activity' so any suggestions (as 'meta-dp' as it may be to ask Wink ) as to what can be done to break the information stream up a bit would be appreciated and will be taken into consideration when I write the next installment.

Thanks everyone!

Zephyrrr! And...
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
24787 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just summarize more. You don't have to go through every word, you could do something like this:

"Walt and the angel talked of many things: of life and death, of God and his place in the cosmos... enough information to fill up a book. But the most important things Walt learned were..."

Et Cetera.

D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
10229 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively, you could make the stream of information into a narrative in itself. Rather than have a question and answer session, invite the reader in by telling a story. It's what the Bible does. Pretty basic. Cool
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
10415 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something has been nagging at me about this chapter, and reading through these responses has helped me crystalise it a bit. Yes, it is preachy, and it did grate with me a little. I'm not sure that by distancing ourselves from the characters by moving to a narrative form would reduce this effect without losing touch with the scene.

Make sure the preachyness is coming from Michael, and not from the writing itself. You could do this by using Walt's inner reactions to all this as the buffer. He's the human being experiencing all this, so his reactions should be mirroring what we as human beings might feel, right?

Michael's are raising more questions, and even contradictions. He's introducing new ideas which are turning what Walt knows on its head. This naturally leads to more doubt and skepticism, so let's see a little more of that from Walt.

Having said that, juxtaposed with what's going on back on Earth, (the only obvious link going on at the moment with Michael being Thomas) the reader should be able to draw his/her own conclusions from what's going on here. Walt is only experiencing half of the story.
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lebby: Not sure how to do that when this information is critical to the reader down the road. I mean, perhaps some of it could be glossed over. In particular, the Heaven and Hell explenation may have been less necessary, though it did inspire the most discussion.

D: You may need to give me an example of what you're suggesting for me to get the concept. I think what you're saying is that I'm over-relying on the show it instead of tell it approach and that you're suggesting I paraphrase the angel a bit more. I wouldn't have thought that would be a good thing... but perhaps in this sort of situation it might be.

CF: I scanned through the chapter after reading your comment and found quite a few places where Walt expressed some definite skeptisicm. Are you saying there should be more?

I'll admit, in review, the Angel is allowed to carry on a bit. But then, I had a lot of questions to answer and was trying hard to keep it all in a reasonable span of a chapter. Lebby has shown me where I could have cut down on some things, but had I given Walt yet more quibbling, it would have extended the chapter considerably. Then again, I suppose some of the narrative paraphrasing could have improved on that, but it would have taken us a bit out of the immersion in the scene. And by so doing, I worried that the information would not be as memorable. After all, the Angel is telling the audience what it needs to know to understand that which is to come.

But trust and believe that while I tell one side of a story here, I will be giving the other side its due as well. In this, I, as the author, remain impartial, even if my characters do not.

Zephyrrr! And...
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
10229 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a Tolkien style tale of genesis rather than explain it in a fragmented, pseudo scientific way. I can't tell you how to do everything down to the last detail, it wouldn't be your story.
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... I see what you're getting at now. Hmm... I may in fact employ that a bit. This might be a good time to go about that actually.

Zephyrrr! And...
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Heavy Metal All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: