Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
The Color of Sound ((CHAPTER 10))
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author Chapter
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Topics: 20
Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: The Color of Sound ((CHAPTER 10)) Reply with quote

"It takes a special person to work there," I've often heard it said. Does it really though? Does it take a specific type of person to play with a sick child? Is there criteria for the person who can wipe away tears and bring smiles in their places? I'd say not...not for me anyway. For me, this place is a little corner of Heaven. For me, these children are my own. Sometimes one is called Home before what we earthly beings would deem to be their time, but isn't that rather selfish of us? Would we rather them stay here to suffer the illnesses that have ravaged their tiny bodies? Or a worse yet fate, that they live to face all the evils the world has to throw at them? Life is a precious thing, there is no denying that. We want to see our children grow and have lives of their own, but given the choice of Heaven or Earth...who wouldn't choose the former?

So for me, this is a happy place. One where someone like me can do some genuine good to help those who are most in need of a little brighter lining to their days. It is difficult to see them suffer so, but what better job could there be than to be able to be the one to ease their pain--even if it's only for a little while?

Here. At the medical center, that is my job. My place. My purpose. It is here that I use my Gift to give these children whatever wild fantasies can pop from the imaginations that have far outgrown the bodies. My Gift that brings out the most colorful laughter--the most beautiful sound you've ever seen. My Gift.

Yes. I am one of The Gifted. That's the politically correct label that's been slapped on the face of all the weirdos like me. Those of us born with special abilities. Some are Gifted with levitation, others with mind control, others yet with seemingly silly things like becoming liquid or turning into a potted plant. For most, ((with perhaps the exception of potted plant man)) the Gifts were a thing of pride. Those with particularly fantastic or useful gifts are instantly moved into the height of society. I guess it's better that way...we could have been rejected by society instead...

Me? Well, I'm the freak of freaks. Not only was I born Gifted, I was lucky enough to be born deaf. Along with that, I have not one, but two Gifts. One is useful for cheap tricks and to amuse children. The other is my for myself only--perhaps my body's way of compensating for my lack of hearing. Let's not get ahead of ourselves though.

Firstly, I draw things to life. Sounds sort of fun, huh? Yeah...it would...until you start to doodle in your college classes and your random ideas begin running around the classroom...That happens to be frowned upon. No hiding the lack of attention span there. The children, however, love my Gift. Little girl wants a glittery, rainbow unicorn? Done. Boy wants a dragon that breathes fire that doesn't hurt? You got it! I lost count of the hours I've spent here at the Center drawing and laughing. It makes the days go by much faster.

My other Gift? Well that's one that only I can see. It's a shame, really, because if everyone could see what I see, no one would ever speak...they'd all be too blown away just by what happens when they open their eyes. You see, I see sound. Every voice, every drop of rain, every car that goes by, each has it's own color and pattern. It travels in waves emanating from the source and bouncing off every object it touches. Some things make brighter, more vibrant colors than others, and the laughter of children...well, there's no comparison.

That's what made me decide to follow my current career path. I want to be a children's nurse. Most would call this a lowly profession for a Gifted, but what could be more noble than caring for those who need it most?

These are the thoughts that ran through my head as I walked home from the Center on a warm, summer day. The sun felt hot on my pale skin, but I reveled in the feel of it. Perhaps today would be the day. The day when I would hear from one of the seemingly thousands of Nursing Programs I had applied to. After two years of prerequisites at a community college, I was more than ready to move on with my big plans. With trembling hands, I reached for the mailbox. The sound of the screeching metal on metal made a nasty grey, zigzag pattern that made me cringe.

To my surprise, as I shuffled quickly through the pile of bills and letters from family, I found that two of the schools for which I had applied had sent a response on this happy day. But now I was faced with a tough decision.

One of the letters was from Kingston Crown--a college specifically designed for The Gifted, and the other was an average, normal school for normal people. Both were very close to my little apartment, and both had very good programs and nice facilities. The difference? The classmates, of course. The program at Kingston Crown would be significantly smaller as--as I already pointed out--Nursing was not exactly a career that was high on the list for Gifteds. This would mean smaller, more intimate classes with people like me. Warren, on the other hand, was larger, giving me opportunity to see much more, and it would be where normal people were going. Here, I could start over as a normal girl, not as a Gifted.

What should I do?

Last edited by Andolyn on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:30 pm; edited 25 times in total
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 24

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you changed the whole DP and the story...

The opening lines, and nursing sick children made me think of Mother Teresa (Only a slight connection though). Nicely written anyway. Also as a side note, if "Gifted" is a politically correct term, then the others shouldn't be referred to as "normal". This would indierectly mean that the "gifted" are abnormal. Actually, something similar caused a uproar over here, and I did find it silly, but I'm just saying Wink

I would go with the place for "normal" people. Its always better to have a wider view of things. Try getting into the society as much as you can. Also find out if you can draw stuff that don't come to life immediately. That'd be cool Very Happy

The eyes are useless if the mind is blind.
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Your re-write is way more engaging and personal. And the DP is actually quite good! Overall, I'd rather go to a place where I can communicate with my classmates on equal footing and create lasting bonds. I wouldn't want to feel left out or like an outcast no matter how great the programs are in the so called 'normal' school.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: I think..... Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..................I can't say I enjoy the complete change from one story to another here. Oki, so maybe it's the same story, but it's veryu jarring to go from the mousy girl in the back of a classroom, to the bright hopeful happy girl on her way to a "Bright" future....I kinda liked it the other way...BUT! Anyway.

Interesting, indeed. It's laking taking somthing mentiond before and re-wraping around that rather than a complete scrapping. I like the visual sounds idea, kinda like visual flavors from Ratattolli Razz

I only see a one way or another DP here, so I'ma go left feild on you. *Evil Grin* Decide to remain a free uneducated gifted, traveling the world helping children smile. Forget school and run!

Nice wrting, keep it up.

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys! and yes, I'm liking this direction much more. Dont worry, Pope, she's still that same girl. She's just more open with herself than she is with others...we are inside her head now. Wink as for the politically correctness, you could say it's my own was of satiring the whole concept...i really hate it. if you think about it, all "politically correct" labels are ridiculous. Take "african-american" for example. are all black people from Africa? are all of them even of African descent? no. how about Jamaican people or Haitians? anyway...stepping off my soap box. haha! i'm really excited to see where this goes now. =)
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting rework. Clever way to ease us into the romantic aspect. I would think if she wants to head towards the nursing she might want to go in the direction of the larger of the two uni's.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Vikas Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This IS the first time Im reading it.... And its amazing.

Im just wondering.. The character is obviously a Synesthete... Just to know more about the character, Does he see only sounds as colors or numbers as well?!

Right now I think (s)he should got to Kingston. Might be more useful since it IS specially designed for him/her.

Be sure to read HATE in Romance section Wink

Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

she only sees the colors. =) and thank you!
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm going to go ahead and poll this one, since there are really only two major options...and running off to be a traveling Mother Teresa...LOL!!
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Mother Teresa wasn't a suggestion. She just reminded me of her. I still don't know why Razz

Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice polling turnout so far (but my preffered option is losing Sad ) Razz

Zephyrrr! And...
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good start. I did get thrown by the initial replies to this thread, and then I realised I'd come in after the rewrite. Anyway, I've voted, and for the most unexpected option.

I see it's all looking very close though...
Author Chapter
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main building of Kingston Crown loomed over my head. Everywhere, there were Gifteds showing off their powers--especially the new comers. Best to make good impressions right off the bat. I rolled my eyes, pausing for a brief moment to look at the paper in my hands. "Developmental Psychology--Marshall Hall, Room 707."

Looks like I'm heading in the right direction, I thought as I tried to interpret the directional signs around me. The grounds of Kingston were breathtaking. Lush gardens accented with glorious fountains spot the entirety of the outdoor areas of the campus. I knew I was going to make use of these places...

Suddenly, I tripped over what I was certain was a branch from the tree I was walking by...that is, until I saw the burst of color signifying a shout from over to my right. I looked down to see what exactly it was I'd fallen over, and had to stifle a startled cry myself when I saw a green hand and wrist laying next to my foot.

I wasn't given much time to process the scene however as soon a young man with skin matching the hand came trotting around the tree. He was clad completely in black, showing off what I was sure was a very darkened taste. His hair was jet black, leaving only the curiously green tinted skin looking abnormal. Looking at his eyes though, I could see other differences. The deep red of his eyes held a world of pain that was masked by the playful, almost apologetic smile that hung on his stitched lips. Pain that one of his age should never have known.

"Sorry, about that," he said, his face turning a bright crimson color. His sound waves were a deep black with tinges of red throughout the pattern, "I've been looking everywhere for that...danged jocks decided it'd be funny to use that instead of a football for practice today. I never know where I'll end up when that happens...sometimes finding myself takes more time than others."

Looking at the young man's arm, it was easy to see where the wrist had cleanly detached in a wound that would have surely killed any normal person. I can only imagine what my expression must have looked like, but the young man was quick to apologize for any offense.

"I'm sorry," he fumbled, laughing nervously, "I know that's no way to meet someone...tripping over one of their body parts...it's the unfortunate reality of possessing zombie qualities, though. I heal extremely quickly, but i manage to fall apart at the slightest stress..."

"It's alright," I assured him as I pick up his dislodged hand. I gently dusted away the dirt before handing it back to him like I'd hand someone a book. He seemed surprised by my nonchalant acceptance of his oddities. I'm not exactly the elite of the Gifted either, and I'm certainly too odd to be a "Normal", so I think we'll make a good pair.

Putting the detached hand beneath his arm, he extended the other one in greeting, "Hi, I'm Mike, it's nice to meet--dangit."

The other hand was now in my own. I couldn't stop myself. The horrified, embarrassed look on the young man's face didn't help at all. I began to laugh like I hadn't laughed in a long time.

I had spent so long in my safe, little, silent bubble that I had almost forgotten how to have a friend, but in the two minutes I'd known him, Mike had managed to burst in and become just the friend I have needed for so long.

I laughed until I felt tears streaming down my face, and then laughed some more. It's then that Mike began to laugh with me. It seemed as though he too, hadn't experienced true laughter in quite awhile. Perhaps this friendship wouldn't be one sided. Perhaps I'd found someone who would see me for what I can do, instead of stopping at the burden of what they think I can't. Maybe to Mike, I won't be a charity case...and maybe, just maybe, I can help him in return.

"C'mon," I said, still giggling, "Surely the office will have some tape or something to hold you together until your skin reconnects..."

Where do we go from here? this DP is free reign. you all decide.

Last edited by Andolyn on Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:17 pm; edited 4 times in total
misterbiz
Horror Mod

Topics: 50

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the office and get the poor lad some duct tape. Then maybe chill with him to see that he doesn't continue falling apart.
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely chapter here An! The character introduction was classic - yet greatly enhanced by Mike's... er... peculiarity. It's always good to establish these sorts of friendships in a tale of this nature and it was perfectly timed. The laughter was quite endearing, and the note of the pain in his eyes - emotional pain from living life as the man he is - certainly sets him up to become a very close friend. Someone like he would need one (but I can see some serious pitfalls in the future here for the same reasons! Wonderful plot working indeed...)

Anyhow, as for the DP, what options do we have here? She's already stated where they're headed. So when you ask, where to from here, what are you asking exactly?

Zephyrrr! And...
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, T! and you can do whatever you'd like. they can go where she suggests, he can refuse, he can suggest they do something else, they can be on their way and get interrupted, there are many options. =)
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great chapter there!!

Slightly funny, and very enjoyable.

Also, I too have no idea what the DP is, and how it'll affect the story in any way. So yeah, What exactly do ou want. If its a very free DP, then I'd suggest let him go back to practice football or whatever. Looks like this has happened before. That guy can come back to us if he wants to.

Vikas Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFL!

Amazing chapter...beautifully written. Im guessing that she should indeed go for the tape...

Not much to suggest though.... Wink

Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... I got the impression, as D mentioned, that this sort of thing is a pretty constant ongoing issue for him and he's too proud to use 'tape' or anything of that nature (otherwise he would go around taped up his whole life)

So I believe he'd insist its not going to help to see the nurses... they usher him out every time he steps foot in there anyhow - then spray the whole place down with disinfectant, even though they really don't need to.

Instead, he offers to show her around campus. He doesn't really have any friends I think, so he's not trying to introduce her to any ONE but does want to take her to see some of his projects he's had going on at this school - unless he's just new, in which case, they're exploring it together.

This gives us, as readers, a chance to get more general info on the school site, the background of our tale, and it gives the characters a full chance to bond and get to know each other and share some of their backgrounds.

Zephyrrr! And...
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I F5 T-bird.

Tea Cures All.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: I Think...... Reply with quote

Hah! lurvz it! Quite the epic way to meet someone.

The new character, and his "gift" seem quite original, and I like that. I can see many a fun occassion to use said gift...*Lets mind wander around the gutter for a time before pulling it back* Anyway! *Blushes* A good second chapter. Short, but sweet!

Pokes, Again, seemed a little short, but that's fine, lesee...A little note on the wording. If his pain is so easly hidden by the smile, how does she see it? I know she sees sound, but I didn't think she could see emotions too. Just a little thing there that some re-wording could fix.

Other than that, good one!

DP: Have the hottest girl in school he has a crush on walk by and have him literaly fall to pieces so our heroin has to cary him to the nurse. Or put him back together herself! Now TAHT'D be funny. Have her have to put him ALL back together!

More more mores!

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAHAHAHA!!! TBird and Pope, i LOVE your ideas!! see, THIS is why i left it an open DP. =)
Vikas Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBird's Idea would move ths story forward in a nice way..

Pope's idea would mean that this has to be moved to the humor house Razz LOL

Tainted Biohazard
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Mike' is certainly my kind of guy. I take it he's not really undead so much as his body maintains itself as if he is one? Does he heal as quickly as he falls apart I wonder? It could be useful when going on long flights to stuff one's self into a suitcase to avoid airfares. Does he have that rot smell about him or does he manage to contain it somehow? (I assume it would be that he could or she wouldn't be laughing about now.)

I suggest that she stops herself, remembering that she has a small first aid pack with her at all times, pulls out a needle and thread and begins sewing him up under a tree in the park. This gives them a chance to get to know each other better too.

He seems like he will be a very important tragic figure in your romance story. Tragedy is always good to blend in with these kinds of things.

And I must admit. You and Mr. Biz were right. This isn't the standard fare of romance so it is good. Your main character reminds me of the deaf girl in Heroes. I liked that character but the deaf part needed to go which you did here. You also gave her some unique traits to counter the fact that she was reminiscent of the other character. And that was good too.

But I think she needs more history. For any love story there are always ones that came before that slant the opinions and impressions of the characters in it. And she can give us some of that, as can Mike, as they discuss things in the park.
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna Poll now!!
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Topics: 75
Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking great, Andolyn! That first chapter is absolutely fabulous! Such wonderful writing and idea!

Voted, and looking forward to the next one! Smile

The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted for the hot girl. Can't make this easy for them, and I want to see how the comedy element gets introduced.

Tea Cures All.
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're still polling?!

Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've just been very busy & havent been able to get a new chappie up. apologies Vishal! haha a new one should be up in the next day or two.

Last edited by Andolyn on Tue May 31, 2011 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was funny, and I'm glad I caught it before the next chapter is put in. Voted, but haven't changed the outcome.

Good going!

Very Happy
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.. no need to apologize! Take your time. Smile

Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's going up tonight! i should be done here in about 30 minutes. also, i've not forgotten your PM. i'm still brainstorming some ideas for that.
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. I was just too polite to ask Whistle

Author Chapter
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Eh, it's ok." Mike shrugged nonchalantly. "This sort of thing happens all the time." His face turned slightly sheepish. "Besides, the nurses seem to think I'm diseased or something. They just shove me out of the office and Lysol the place to death."

I stopped in my tracks and raised an eyebrow. I almost giggled at my new friend's humor...until I saw by the look on his face that he was only half kidding. Instead, I smiled as warmly as I possibly could.

"Well then, why don't we explore the campus? It's my first day here, and I haven't had a chance to see much yet."

Mimicking my smile, Mike nodded.

"I can show you a few of my favorite haunts if you like," he said with a stitched grin.

At that moment though, I watched as Mike's face went from that happy smile to a look resembling rage. He began trembling all over. I could see sound waves that were an ugly puke orange coming from behind me. When I turned, I saw several guys in football uniforms chuckling in a circle. I assumed this is the same bunch that set up my meeting with Mike. I then saw what had angered Mike so.

The group was blatantly examining my body while the leader stepped up. Despite the fact that I was modestly dressed in a tshirt and blue jeans, I felt the need to further cover myself.

"Hey, Kitten," his filthy sound waves flooded the air surrounding me. "You must be new around here. I haven't gotten a taste of you yet..."

I could almost feel the waves of anger hitting my back as I turned to see Mike spewing death threats and profanity at the vulgar boy.

When I saw that the boy was talking again, I turned. "You should leave that worthless piece of trash, and come with us if you really want to have a good time. Anyone seen associating with him is automatically trash too."

Mike fell silent as I put on the most seductive walk I could and sauntered up to the jock and his buddies. I smiled and flipped my curtain of blonde curls over my shoulder...before I landed a hard right directly on the jock's jaw.

"Before you talk about trash again, you might want to check out a mirror," I spat before stepping back. Angrily, the vulgar boy stood again, ready to take me on, but then he looked frightened and started backing away with his mob in tow. "Weird..." I muttered, but when I turned around, I saw why they left.

A tall, thin young man with jet black hair and electric blue eyes was standing silently over Mike with a glare that would freeze the soul.

Mike, on the other hand, was now a pile of body parts lying in the grass, still shouting insults.

"You'd better be glad my foot's over there under that tree or I'd shove it up your-"

"Mike!" I was concerned, but I couldn't help the laugh that burst from me at his pitiful state. "Did it really bother you that bad??" I leaned down and picked up his head. Mike looks away.

"I didn't like the way they looked at you," his eyes found the ground beside me. It was then that I remembered the silent man who'd saved the day. I looked up, and he was still standing over us, watching for any other trouble.

"Thank you," I managed, blushing madly. He only nodded respectfully with a kind smile.

"Yeah, thanks, Julian." Mike's stitched smile half returned. "But I could have taken them." Julian nodded again, suddenly tossing something in my direction. I caught the roll of duct tape in my left hand as Julian disappeared. "Thats Julian...he's a good guy. Quiet. Keeps to himself most of the time, but he's always been good to me."

I stared at the spot where Julian had been thoughtfully. Julian...I hope I actually get to meet you one day. I looked at the duct tape in my hand.

"Well, lets get you put back together then, shall we?" I laughed.

"You really must be a good person if you're willing to tape me back together the first time we meet," Mike responded playfully.

"Hey, you fell apart for me," I retorted slyly, "so what does that make you?" Mike didn't say anything, but I could see that the idea of himself that he kept in his own mind was anything but a "good person".

I started the long process by attaching his head to his neck then pulling Mike's torso and his waist--separated just above the belly button--together and taping all around.

"Watch it! That tickles!" he laughed.

"Quit your complaining or I'll leave you here in the grass. You'll eventually come together again, right?" my threat was empty, and he knew it, so we both laughed again.

I found the left shoulder and taped it, followed by the elbow and his left hand. Now that one arm was back together, he was able to sit up and help me by holding the parts together while I taped. As we sat, we found ourselves in casual conversation.

"So...is it too soon to ask you a personal question?" Mike ventured.

"I'm duct taping your body back together...I think we passed personal questions awhile back." I laughed. He laughed too, but it was a dark, thoughtful one.

"H-Have you always been...deaf?" he choked. I was slightly taken off guard by the question. It wasn't that I had never been asked before. Quite the contrary really. A lot of people were curious. Rather, it was the way he asked...and the fact that I hadn't told him I was deaf...yet somehow he knew. His wasn't the typical tone with the blatant discomfort at asking about a disability. No traces of pity. Just curiosity...plain, simple desire to know.

"No." This wasn't the first time I've told the story before either, but something about telling him made the sadness of the memory resurface. I didn't feel the need to hide my pain from Mike. His blind friendship demanded utter truth. "I could hear until I was seven years old." I could see my own pain reflecting in his crimson eyes.

"You don't have to tell me..."

"It's alright," I promised him. "There was a car crash...It was raining that night, and dad was in a hurry. He ran a red light. It was a hummer vs. our little Honda Civic. It hit the back seat where I was sitting. I was about two inches away from being crushed to death. The doctors said it was the sound of the impact that destroyed my eardrums. They said my family didn't feel any pain. That they-"

"Shh," Mike was wiping away the tears I didn't feel on my cheeks. "You can tell me the rest some other time, ok?" I nodded and allowed myself to be pulled into an awkward seated hug. It was there that for the first time since I was a little girl, I let myself go. Every tear that has been suppressed since I became an orphan, since my life of being shuffled through the system began, came bursting out on this man I had just met. This man who cared about me. This man who was now my best friend.

When I finally regained my composure, the sun was starting to set over the massive bell tower of the main building. I sat up and looked at Mike with bloodshot eyes. I found that his were misty as well.

"Hey, how about we go grab a snack or something?"

"Sounds good to me," I laughed, wiping my face. "Where should we go?"

"Well, there's a bar & grill if you want a drink too, we could hit a fast food joint..." he thought for a moment. "There's always the campus coffee house..."

Where are we going? Should we ask how he knows we're deaf?

Last edited by Andolyn on Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
misterbiz
Horror Mod

Topics: 50

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing chapter. I'm starting to quite like this Mike fellow Wink

I say head to the bar and grill and yes...ask him. He doesn't seem the type to mind.
Vikas Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely ask him how he knows...

And how come we didnt know?! :O

The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, how exactly is Mike falling apart? Is he properly rotting (because you'd need to be fairly rotted for your skeleton to not suffice to keep you together) or is he kind of just... made of separate bits? [/scientific curiosity]

Definitely ask him. And I say coffee house - she just doesn't seem the type for a fast food place, and I imagine the sort of genteel, intellectual chatter that might permeate a coffee house would look much nicer than a bar and grill.

Tea Cures All.
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he just falls apart. haha no rotting, just...comes apart. he was born that way. it's the world where there are Gifteds. just roll with it. haha!
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why its called fiction, lol!

But I do agree with what Whitey said, Coffee house and definitely ask him how he found out we were deaf. Also ask him about this Mike guy. He's just too cool for me to ignore Smile

Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teehee...as he should be. Wink

Test poll (no point in voting)
Option 1
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Option 2
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1
Who Voted: Tazgirl18992

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: