Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Contest: The IF Labs Write-a-story

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author Chapter
The IF Labs Payroll
Visitor

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Contest: The IF Labs Write-a-story Reply with quote

The rules are actually quite simple. I will write the first chapter of a story. Based on that, you will offer a paragraph or two summarizing what you think should happen next. We will put the paragraphs to a vote, and the winner gets to write the next chapter, DP included. The process will then be repeated- people will submit entries, we will vote on them, and the winner will write the next chapter.

"Why, that sounds awesome!" I can hear you saying. "How do I join in on this awesome fun?" Well, it's simple! Simply pay an entry fee of 50 fables, and your idea will be up for consideration! It's so cheap, right? And each entry is just a few paragraphs! That's not much work, either! And if you win? Not only do you get to write an awesome chapter, you also get to collect all of the entry fees as a reward. Could it get any better? Yes, yes it can. If you are a member of the IF Labs, your entry is free. What a great reason to join, am I right? Of course I am.

Post all comments and entries in this thread. I am not worried about keeping this contest anonymous. Unpaid entries simply won't be up for vote. Since this is a contest, not a proper storygame, chapters will be ~700-1000 words in length. Before posting, chapters will be briefly scanned for grammar and continuity, though I doubt this will be a major roadblock.

IF Labs Presents: Magus Rising (Working Title)
Chapter one- Shillelagh
Chapter two-

Last edited by The IF Labs Payroll on Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Author Chapter
The IF Labs Payroll
Visitor

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter One

Patrick crept into the room, covering most of the candle's light with his hand. He knew his master was asleep two floors above him, but a certain feeling lingered in the air. His unease rose as he entered the chamber, but there was nothing for it. The Resistance had gotten word that Hedge was working on an ultimate weapon- he heard it straight from the wizard's mouth. If they couldn't use the device to their own ends, then the least they could do would be to remove the threat.

He glanced around the study, which had grown all too familiar these past few weeks. The chamber that normally held his fascination grew menacing in the candlelight, but he shook it off. All he had to do was find the new item, and take it back to headquarters. He had played the roll of apprentice long enough. Patrick had never imagined that he would spy on one of the land’s most powerful wizards.

But then, he had never imagined that his home village would be caught in the middle of a battle of mages. There were at least three of them, desperately trying to eliminate the others in an attempt to become the ultimate magus. Only then would the ancient relics respond to an owner. With these relics, the ultimate magus would have the power to rule the entire kingdom; perhaps the entire world.

The old rule had been bad enough. The king couldn’t be bothered to care about his subjects, and the entire system had been filled with corruption, from the tax collectors on up. But even then, you were safe if you kept your head ducked low. The mages who were fighting for power… their mission was to eliminate the competition by any means necessary. The death of innocent bystanders was just unfortunate collateral damage to them. The king was dead; the castle, ruined. One third of the kingdom’s population was now homeless. No village could hope to withstand fire, or frost, or flood. A skilled mage could harness any of these powers, and more. Most of the battles ended in stalemate, but the fighting was destroying the countryside.

That was where the Resistance came in. Even the most powerful of mages were still just human. Without their tools and spells, they were harmless. Only a small amount of their magic power came from innate skill. It was the rods, books, and relics which were amplifying their power to dangerous levels. Perhaps these tools could even be used against them! A land without mages would be a land without peace, especially if the Resistance took the place of the old monarchy. The ancient relics weren’t necessary to their life and livelihood. The end goal of a democratic government seemed unrealistic to Patrick, but it was a dream worth fighting for.

There it was, sitting right on top of Hedge's desk: a simple, crimson stone. The ultimate weapon he had heard about. No lock, no protective barriers, nothing. It wasn't a matter of trust- you'd have to be mad to try and steal from a mage. Well, maybe he was mad.

Patrick reached out to grab the stone. But the small rock began to glow, emitting a loud screech. He watched helplessly as ropes of fire poured out from the rock, surrounding his body and holding him in place. Patrick was stuck, helpless, floating in midair, bound by the flaming bonds that held him tight.

"Come now, boy,” said Hedge, stepping out from the shadows. “Did you really think you could get away with this for so long? Most of my artifacts have been made by hand. Once I realized my own spear was being used by peasants at the battle of Andolin, I knew right away I had a leak giving magic to the enemy. And now, you're going to pay."

Hedge walked over to his desk, and picked up the crimson stone. "Funny thing, this. It's not a weapon with the power to decimate my enemies. It's not a weapon at all. It was a trap; one I knew you wouldn't be able to avoid." He laughed, pocketing the stone in a pouch at his belt. “The question remains… what should I do with you, now that I’ve caught you? Of course, I need to make an example out of you… but I don’t even know who you’re working for. There’s always petrification. The statue treatment is a classic method of…”

Patrick could no longer try and listen to his master’s words. The magic rope was beginning to burn into his skin, and the pain was unbearable. He winced, squirming against the fiery cords, hoping to find comfort as a searing pain flowed through his veins. “Surely it can’t end like this!” he cried out.

Suddenly, a flash of white light filled the room. Patrick was blinded, yet relieved. The flames vanished, and he fell to the ground, free of his bonds. He rubbed his eyes, trying to quickly gain back his vision.

“What was that?” shrieked Hedge, who must have also been blinded. “Was that you, whelp? That trick won’t be able to save you! You haven’t escaped yet! I’ll fight you to the bitter end, if I must!”

Patrick crawled over the bookcase on the far side of the room, and…
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be playing catchup later and will return to revisit this shortly.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Shillelagh
Citizen

Topics: 20

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone? Anyone at all?

Ihniwid Chapter 5 is up- find it here!
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Patrick could no longer try and listen to his master’s words. The magic rope was beginning to burn into his skin, and the pain was unbearable. He winced, squirming against the fiery cords, hoping to find comfort as a searing pain flowed through his veins. “Surely it can’t end like this!” he cried out.

Suddenly, a flash of white light filled the room. Patrick was blinded, yet relieved. The flames vanished, and he fell to the ground, free of his bonds. He rubbed his eyes, trying to quickly gain back his vision.

“What was that?” shrieked Hedge, who must have also been blinded. “Was that you, whelp? That trick won’t be able to save you! You haven’t escaped yet! I’ll fight you to the bitter end, if I must!”

Patrick crawled over the bookcase on the far side of the room, and…

dove behind an open desk. His mind scrambled. What WAS that flash? he wondered, realizing he'd of course had nothing to do with its source of origin. Closing his eyes, momentarily, he studied the shadows that played across the backs of his eyelids. There he could see a shape, a silhouette.

Someone else had created that flash, someone who must be here for...

"GUILCK!" grunted his Master in a choking gurgle through what Patrick could only assume was his own blood, spilled down his throat as a crimson smile could be heard drawn across Hedge's neck. No other noise aside from the slashing blade gave away the identity of the sudden assailant.

Patrick heard his Master's body hit the floor with a squelching thud.

Zephyrrr! And...
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm... TB, I'm not convinced you understand my intent for this contest. You wrote (admittedly very good) paragraphs for what immediately happens next. What I'm looking for are summary paragraphs which would describe what happens within the next 800ish words. Then we vote, and the winner expands his summary into a full chapter.

Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got that, but I thought those paragraphs were to be extending from the end of the last chapter rather than just summary para's. And that in those few paragraphs we'd have to present the summary concept of the next chapter to come...

But ok...

So Master is killed by an assassin who's here for the artifacts this old wizard has made. The assassin is exactly the threat the Master suspected he would be up against and was just waiting for someone else to throw the trap before attacking (has been watching for a long time.)

When the Assassin takes a number of powerful artifacts, it leads our protagonist into the search for understanding what has been taken and why and who sent someone to kill his master. He finds another artifact that was missed and at the end of the chapter finds that the assassin is now after HIM to get that last piece they must have to fulfill their plans.

Zephyrrr! And...
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird wrote:
Well, I got that, but I thought those paragraphs were to be extending from the end of the last chapter rather than just summary para's. And that in those few paragraphs we'd have to present the summary concept of the next chapter to come...

I... think I understand what you mean. Interesting. But, nope- I'm asking for something even more simple than that.

Interesting approach with the assassin. Of all the ways I thought people would continue the story, I can honestly say I didn't expect to see anything like that.

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: