Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
SparkleSteps - Chapter Sixteen: Part 2 is up!

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> The Fantasy Forest - Fantasy Storygames -> SparkleSteps
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Topics: 75
Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
18382 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: SparkleSteps - Chapter Sixteen: Part 2 is up! Reply with quote

SparkleSteps - Chapter 16: Part 2

Bob looked down at the shapeless bulk of the Veeka below him. The creature continued to sleep on, each breath it took bubbling sickeningly in its throat. Bob shuddered again, but pulled himself together quickly. He needed his full attention for the task at hand, and as such he needed to forget the disgust he felt for his captor, at least for now. He focused on the bars. The gap made by the broken one wasn't nearly big enough for him to attempt squeezing through. He would need to crack at least two, possibly three more.

After one more quick glance down at the monster, to make sure that it still slumbered, Bob placed a foot against the next bar, and began to slowly press against it, pushing it outwards. He could feel the wood giving beneath the pressure, but he didn't rush it. He couldn't risk it making too much noise or falling down and alerting the Veeka. He continued to slowly apply more pressure to it, and at last, he was rewarded with a small cracking sound, as the wood began to split. A small smile crept across his face, as he looked to see if the Veeka or Sorren had heard the noise, and he found that both remained as they had been. A few more minutes of pushing steadily against it rewarded him with the bar spliting in two, allowing him to remove it completely.

The gap was now considerably bigger, though still not big enough, a fact that Bob noted with disappointment, though not surprise. So he started on the next one, doing so in the same manner as the previous, with patience.

"Slow and steady always wins the race..." he murmered, in a voice so quiet, it was barely even a whisper. But the words calmed him, and reminded him to ignore the wish to move faster. Within a few minutes, another bar lay broken in his palms, and to his delight, he found that the gap was now big enough to allow him to exit his prison.

The pull of the force from the south-west was so strong now, it took every bit of will power he had, to stop himself from just bolting, likely drawing attention to his escape in the process. He tried his best to ignore the urge, and focused instead on getting out of the tree and to the ground without being seen or heard. Slipping between the bars, his shirt catching on the rough surface of the nearest ones, he grasped a nearby branch, and attempted to step out on to another. But it was too far away, and he decided that the only way to escape was going to be through making a leap for it.

He steeled himself, analysing how and where he should land. Keeping a firm hold on his branch, he balanced procariously on the cage rim, and focus upon the bough he'd previously attempted to reach. If he did it just right, he could use the tree's massive trunk to steady himself upon landing, and would also, in theory, make as little noise as possible. The bough itself was thick, and sturdy, and there would be less chance of it moving around and rustling.

Taking a deep breath, Old Bob, closed his eyes, and muttered a prayer. He wasn't a religious man, and even now he didn't know exactly who his prayers went out to. All he knew was that it wasn't doing any harm, and could do the world of good. Then he re-opened his eyes, and leapt.

~~~

Looking out into the hall, Mot made ready to leave the premises and make haste to the forest. He'd heard Jem roaming the halls a short while before, but all was now silent and still. He waited a moment longer, listening hard for even the slightest noise, but when he heard none, he slipped out of his room, and limped down the hall. He stopped at the top of the stairs and listened again. Nothing reached his ears, from neither upstairs nor down. So he continued on.

The descent down the staircase was far more painful than the walk from his room had been, and Mot grimaced with each step he took. Around a dozen steps down, he had to take a rest, the pain having got too much for him. It occured to him that, considering the trouble a mere staircase was giving him, the journey through the forest wasn't going to be a piece of cake. But he had to try, all the same. It was the only way to end everything.

While he rested, he pondered the new information he'd aquired. Tianna, the legendary warrior, still lived and breathed, all these years later. It had been assumed by all, that she must have been dead and buried many decades before. But no, she was here, and she called to him, astounding him not only with her presence, but also her plan. One that should have been carried out when the Veeka had first escaped, but hadn't, due to a dire error on the part of the Elven people. If all went well, that mistake would be remedied tonight.

"...Or this morning," he murmered, correcting himself, as he looked out of the window, and saw the sliver of sunlight upon the horizon. With any luck, the new day would begin with the monster's demise.

Deciding he'd rested quite long enough, Mot finally got back to his feet, and took on the remainder of the staircase, feeling stronger in the knowledge that he was greatly needed for the plan to succeed. He crossed the floor awkwardly, opened the front door, and stepped out into the dim half light of early morning. Limping though he was, there was purpose in his step, as he made his way down to the forest. Stopping at the edge, he closed his eyes, and allowed his elven senses to guide him in the correct direction. Upon turning them to his east, he found her. He spoke her a quick message, sending it through his thoughts to her, even as his lips formed the words.

"I'm on my way, Tianna."

Then he hobbled forward once more, and disappeared into the trees.

~~~

Milo and Chanah passed through the tree's surrounding the clearing, making their way to a point directly behind the alcove where the Veeka slept, and in turn the tree where Old Bob's cage hung. When they reached their destination, Chanah gave Milo's shoulder a squeeze, and continued on to Sorren. Milo positioned himself, so that he could see her giving a descrete signal that she was ready, and in turn he would give her his.

His attention was suddenly drawn by a movement from above. Looking up, his eyes widened as he saw the familiar figure of Old Bob, standing on the dangerously narrow edge on the outside of his cage. Bob's focus was on a thick nearby branch, and Milo knew what the old man planned to do. Despite his heart skipping several beats, as he thought of the consiquences of Bob's actions should he wake their enemy, he still couldn't help but be in awe of him. Despite his age and form, the gardener had a spirit and spryness to rival that of a man half his age.

Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Chanah giving her signal, and he indicated back for her to wait. He turned back to Old Bob, waiting for the right moment to gesture for Chanah to blow her whistle and draw Sorren away. Milo's heart froze, as Bob took a flying leap from the cage, and closed his eyes, breathing a sigh of relief, as the old man landed, his arms wrapped around the trunk of the tree. Milo looked down at the Veeka, who hadn't stirred in the slightest, apart from the movement of it's awkward breathing, punctuated with the sickeningly wet sounds.

At that moment, Bob looked down, and their eyes locked. Milo saw a slight smile pass over the old man's face, despite the dire nature of their circumstances. Milo gestured for him to start decending the tree, and began to watch the Veeka closely for any sign of waking, as Old Bob did so. Milo was again surprised by his ability to move so quickly and flawlessly. Instinct seemed to tell Bob where his next step should fall, to prevent breakage or even noise. But even as he thought it, Milo remembered that Bob was no ordinary old man. Not even a man at all. The thought that the craggy-faced gardener would soon be gone, and instead become a part of the beautiful creature Milo had left in the clearing not an hour ago, seemed unreal to the boy.

Within a few minutes, Old Bob's feet touched the forest floor, and he snuck quickly over to Milo, and shared his hiding place. To his surprise, the old man, threw his arms about Milo's shoulders and drew him into a hearty hug.

"You shouldn't be here, boy," he whispered, gruffly. "You know from past experience that it's dangerous. And you certainly shouldn't have come here to save me!"

"I had to," Milo replied, smiling up at him. "The survival of an entire race depends upon your own survival."

Milo put his finger to his lips, as Bob's expression twisted into one of puzzlement, and he opened his mouth to question Milo's words.

"I can't explain, there's no time. Please, just listen to what I have to say. There is somewhere that you need to go..."

"Yes!" Bob interrupted, his head nodding vigorously, "I can feel it! That's why I came out here in the first place..."

"Right, so you know where to go?"

Bob nodded.

"Okay," Milo continued, "Chanah is over there in the trees, near Sorren. When I give her a signal, she will create a distraction. When I tell you, you then have to go as fast as you can to the clearing. Don't let anything stop you. Just get there, got it?"

He was rewarded with another nod of ascent. Again, a strange feeling washed over Milo, at being the one giving out the orders to those who knew so much more than himself, and had experience in this type of thing. But he pushed the feeling aside, knowing that his plan was a good one.

He looked over to where Chanah still sat, waiting for him to gesture that it was time. He met her eyes, and gave her a quick wave. He saw her sneak further into the trees and disappear from view. For a few moments there was silence, broken only by the sound of the Veeka's noisy sleep. Then suddenly, with a snort, and the simultanious opening of it's dozens of eyes, the Veeka gave a roar of fury, so loud that Milo and Bob had to cover their ears.

"IT'S HER!" the monster raged. "AFTER HER! GET HER! BRING HER TO ME NOW!"

Sorren broke into action, disappearing into the trees, seemingly in the direction that Chanah had gone, though, as he couldn't hear the whistle himself, Milo didn't know for sure. While the Veeka continued to splutter with anger, Milo and Bob started to make their way around the edge of the clearing, making sure to stay out of sight. They were nearly at the position to make a discreet run for it, when a twig snapped beneath Milo's foot. Upon looking around, he found every one of the Veeka's eyes upon him.

"GO!" he shouted to Old Bob, and they began to run. But as they did so, the ground beneath their feet began to shift and move, as the roots of the trees started to spring out of the earth to grab them. Chanah had said that the Veeka kept the trees dormant, but obviously it was more then that. He had the ability to control them too. He then noticed to his horror, that the thick trunks were beginning to move towards each other, the branches of each tree knitting with that of it's neighbouring brother or sister. The Veeka was going to use the tree's to trap them in the clearing.

As Milo spun around, searching for gaps, and trying to avoid the roots at the same time, he noticed a fairly large opening, easily big enough for them to squeeze through, but reducing rapidly. He pointed it out to Bob, and they made a run for it. But the roots caught and tripped them, and all the while the gap became less and less, prompting Milo to evaluate their situation. By the time they reached the hole, he'd made a decision. Bob tried to usher him through, but Milo insisted that he go first.

"You have to get out, or all of this will be for nothing. Now go, before the hole closes. Get to Tianna!"

Bob hesitated a second longer then did as he was told. Then he gestured for Milo to do the same. But even as he stooped to do so, Milo could tell that the he wouldn't be able to fit through. He watched helplessly as the gap disappeared, and he was left alone in the clearing with the Veeka, wondering what the hell he was going to do next.

Okies, I hope that was okay, guys! Thanks for reading, and part 3 will be up as soon as possible.

DP - What does Milo do now? The trees are after him, and judging by what he saw happen to the Harimane in the last chappie, he likely doesn't want to stay amongst them. Also he can't get out, but nothing else can get in. Not without a little brute force anyway (or magic). But he doesn't know that obviously. In Milo's mind, he is trapped with the Veeka, but everything else is also prevented from entering. Now, the Veeka, though it hasn't been seen to move over the course of the story, if you cast your minds back to the prologue, it was out of the clearing then, when it captured Sorren and Mot. And it also managed to get itself here at one point. So it can move around, even though it chooses not to much of the time. Milo has with him...*checks*...a knife, the two torches, and the Al'loren'etta. There may also be a chance that some kind of weapon or something that can be used as one might be found around the clearing (the Veeka has killed elves (who carried weapons) before now). Milo also knows that Tianna is on her way, and that, now that Bob has escaped and is headed for her, that she will have her strength and powers restored to her. There is also a good chance that Chanah will do the same, once she hopefully has Bob restrained. So would he be better trying to continually avoid the Veeka, rather than attempting to defend himself? Let's hear what you have to say, and feel free to ask any questions that might help. I've answered as much as I can to be helpful, but I could easily have missed something. Wink

Thanks again for reading! Always much appreciated! Smile

Last edited by Tikanni Corazon on Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
9744 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STAB A TREE! Maybe it losing some sap and bark will get the Veeka's control off? Pain is a powerful motivator, ya know. Wink

But yes, cause a tree some pain to see if it helps pull itself out of the Veeka's control, and if that doesn't work... stab the Veeka in one of the eyes and... I dunno if you should try to keep the Al'loren'etta hidden from the Veeka so it can't use it to find Chanah, or if you could use it in some twisted way to find (MAYBE!) any of the elf that used to be inside the Veeka (all after-school special-like).

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Topics: 20
Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Items
Legends
12390 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE this!!

well, Milo knows that help is coming...and he knows the power of the Elves...maybe he does just bide his time. i just read the Hobbit again, so maybe my mind is stuck there, but when in danger, Bilbo always tried to strike up a conversation with whatever threatened him to bide some time. a riddle game with gollum, stoking Smaug's ego...it's an effective method.
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
18382 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lil and Andi!

I have to say, when I posted up the chapter, I was completely clueless as to what could be the answer really. I just kept writing and writing, and as it unfolded, I almost had no real sense of where I was going with it. Just kept thinking of things the moment before I typed them out. And when I reached the end, I didn't know if it was too restraining a DP. But I love the answers you guys have come up with so far!

Thanks so much for reading! Smile

PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
13801 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: I Think....... Reply with quote

Love love love, as always!

I was kinda on edge when Bob started making his move, but I'm glad you worked it into the Milo/Chanah plan. Very well meshed there!

As for the DP, now that ld Bob is out of there, I see Milo just going on a distraction binge. Yell, scream, runa round, use whatever he can get his hands on to hurl at the Veeka. The yuelling will also give Chanah an excelent idea as to where he is for the rescue. If he can find some old weapons laying arouns, chuck those at it too! Get that sucker useing all of it's attention on Milo. Not only for Bob's sake, but Chanah's too. The Veeka can not be allowed to get either, but if Milo is half as mature as he seems, he'll understand he's expendable. Also, the longer he can stall, the more time Old Bob has to get back together with himself! THEN things will be looking MUCH better for our little hero! As a last resort, if he actually is gotten ahold of, I see some sort of inbred reaction useing the. . . I can't spell it, the magic do-dad. It has eyes, it makes light, BLINDING!!!!

Oki, that's my piece, keep up with the writings!

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
18382 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Pope, for your comments on both this and for Part 1, and I'm glad you liked it! Your consistant readership is very much appreciated. And the suggestions are very good ones too. Smile

Hoping to get part three up in the next couple of days. Started it yesterday, so fingers crossed that it doesn't take too long to complete.

Thanks again for reading all! Smile

Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent chapter Tika!

I'm going to suggest two courses of action for Milo here.

1) climb the trees (probably a bad idea though as they have enough branch control to cause him harm)

2) turn around and innocently approach the Veeka asking questions and initiating a dialogue to 'get to know' the creature. Face the fear if for no other reason than to distract the villain.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
18382 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TB! Your comments and suggestions are always much appreciated! Smile

Okie doke, the final part of chapter 16 should be up very soon. Due to a few issues in RL at the moment, my time is rather stretched, so I'm just finding the odd moments to write and comment on IF. I'm hoping these issues will smooth out a little soon, though it is going to be an ongoing thing, so I'm not likely going to be quite as active as I have been from now on anyway. I should still be able to make it on here at least once a day though, so I'll still be around if and when needed, and I'm determined that this SG WILL be finished within the next couple of months. Thanks for your patience everyone! Smile

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
18382 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, guys! Poll is now up! Smile

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
18382 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll closed! Thanks for voting! Smile

What does Milo do now?
Stab one of the trees, to see if anything happens (pain breaks it from the spell etc)
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Strike up a convo with the Veeka to try and buy some time
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
Basically, go crazy! Scream, shout, throw things, all in an attempt to distract and possibly hurt the beast as much as possible
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Climb into the trees
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4
Who Voted: Andolyn, Lilith, PopeAlessandrosXVIII, Thunderbird

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> SparkleSteps All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: