Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
The Color of Sound: Chapter ONE

(currently a favorite of 2 users)
   Storygames Home -> The Fantasy Forest - Fantasy Storygames -> Storygames: Fantasy
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author Chapter
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Topics: 20
Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Items
Legends
12390 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: The Color of Sound: Chapter ONE Reply with quote

Guess what's getting a reboot!! Okay, so most of you won't even remember this one, and that's good. Last time, it was...less than great. I have a better direction for it now, though, so I figured, "What the heck? Let's do this!"

Prologue first, so no DP. Enjoy!

~#*CoS*#~

"It takes a special person to work there," I've often heard it said.

Does it really though? Does it take a specific type of person to play with a sick child? Is there criteria for the person who can wipe away tears and bring smiles in their places? I'd say not...not for me anyway. For me, this place is a little corner of Heaven. For me, these children are my own, and this is a happy place--one where someone like me can do some genuine good to help those who are most in need of a little brighter lining to their days. It is difficult to see them suffer so, but what better job could there be than to be able to be the one to ease their pain--even if it's only for a little while?

Here, at the medical center, that is my job. My place. My purpose. It is here that I use my Gift to give these children whatever wild fantasies can pop from the imaginations that have far outgrown the bodies. My Gift brings out the most colorful laughter--the most beautiful sound you've ever seen.

My Gift.

Yes. I am one of The Gifted. That's the label that's been slapped on the face of all the weirdos like me--those of us born with special abilities. Some are Gifted with levitation, others with mind control, others yet with seemingly silly things like becoming liquid or turning into a potted plant. For most, (with, perhaps, the exception of potted plant man) the Gifts were a thing of pride. Those with particularly fantastic or useful gifts are instantly moved into the height of society. I guess it's better that way... We could have been rejected by society instead.

Me? Well, I'm the freak of freaks. Not only was I born Gifted, I'm deaf. Along with that, I have not one, but two Gifts. One is useful for cheap tricks and to amuse children. The other is my for myself only. Perhaps it's my body's way of compensating for my lack of hearing. Let's not get ahead of ourselves though.

Firstly, I draw things to life. Sounds sort of fun, huh? Yeah, it would...until you start to doodle in your college classes, and your random ideas begin running around the classroom. That happens to be frowned upon. No hiding the lack of attention span there. The children, however, love my Gift. Little girl wants a glittery, rainbow unicorn? Done. Boy wants a dragon that breathes fire that doesn't hurt? You got it! I lost count of the hours I've spent here at the Center drawing and laughing. It makes the days go by much faster.

My other Gift? Well, that's one that only I can see. It's a shame, really, because if everyone could see what I see, no one would ever speak. They'd all be too blown away just by what happens when they open their eyes. You see, I see sound. Every voice, every drop of rain, every car that goes by, each has it's own color and pattern. It travels in waves emanating from the source and bouncing off every object it touches. Some things make brighter, more vibrant colors than others, and the laughter of children...well, there's no comparison.

That's what made me decide to follow my current career path. I want to be a children's nurse. Most would call this a lowly profession for a Gifted, but what could be more noble than caring for those who need it most?

My walk home from the Center is warm today. It's summertime, and it's been a particularly hot one. My navy scrubs aren't helping with that. It's okay, though. I'm just thanking my lucky stars that I don't have to wear Barney purple like the staff in geriatrics.

I giggle at the thought as I reach for the mailbox. As I sift through the various bills and junk, my eyes are caught by a particular envelope. In excited anxiety, I drop all of the other letters and rip the envelope with shanking hands.

"Miss Aria Nolan,
We at Kingston Crowne are delighted to inform you that your application for enrollment has been accepted..."

There's a lot more to that letter, but I'm too busy jumping up and down squealing like a child to read it right now. My impressive transcript all through grade school and the two years I spent at the community college doing my prerequisites have paid off. I've been accepted into the nursing program at one of the most prestigious schools for the Gifted in the country. I applied to several programs, but this is the one that I really wanted.

Kingston Crowne is a center of excellence across the board. Even when compared to the regular schools, it has some of the highest marks in every field. I already mentioned that nursing is considered a lowly profession for a Gifted, so the classes there will be smaller and much more intimate. In addition to all of this, Kingston is located within walking distance from my apartment. This means I can keep my job at the Center too, and that thrills me just as much as the acceptance itself.

Life is good. It seems like everything is going my way. I just hope it lasts.

Last edited by Andolyn on Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
5512 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all KNOW its not going to last XD

I love this, Andi! I wasn't around for the original installment, but I'm glad I get the chance to read it now! Can't wait for more :3
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
9744 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cackles at a character hoping something good lasts with Andi writing her story* That's so adorable sweetheart, you keep believing that....

Now correct me if I'm wrong, we don't even know this hopeful lass's name yet... who is this? And also, I didn't get to read this last time around so I'm glad it's got a re-boot! <3

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Author Chapter
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Topics: 20
Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Items
Legends
12390 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 1!! Don't worry. I'm not going to be posting this one as rapid fire as my others because it's not pre-written. This one will be up for comments for a while. Enjoy!

~#*CoS*#~

The main building of Kingston Crown looms over my head. Everywhere, there are Gifteds showing off their powers--especially the new comers. Best to make good impressions right off the bat. I roll my eyes, pausing for a brief moment to look at the paper in my hands. "Developmental Psychology--Marshall Hall, Room 707."

Looks like I'm heading in the right direction. Trying to interpret the directional signs around me is somewhat of a challenge. The grounds of Kingston are breathtaking. Lush gardens accented with glorious fountains spot the entirety of the outdoor areas of the campus. I'm definitely going to make use of these places...

Suddenly, I trip over what I'm certain is a branch from the tree I'm walking by...that is, until I see the burst of color signifying a shout from over to my right. I look back to see what exactly it was I fell over, and I have to stifle a startled cry, myself, when I see a green hand and wrist lying next to my foot.

I'm not given much time to process the scene, however, as soon a young man with skin matching the hand comes trotting around the tree. He's clad completely in black, showing off what I'm sure is a very darkened taste. His hair is jet black, leaving only the curiously green-tinted skin appearing abnormal. Looking at his eyes though, I can see other differences. The deep red of them holds a world of pain that's masked by the playful, almost apologetic smile hanging on his stitched lips--pain that one of his age shouldn't know.

"Sorry, about that," he says, his face turning a bright crimson color beneath the green. His sound waves are a deep red with tinges of black throughout the pattern. "I've been looking everywhere for that. Danged jocks decided it'd be funny to use that instead of a football for practice today. I never know where I'll end up when that happens... Sometimes finding myself takes more time than others."

Looking at the young man's arm, it's easy to see where the wrist had cleanly detached, leaving both his arm and the hand looking like clean, healed amputations with skin covering the ends of both pieces. I can only imagine what my expression must look like, but the young man is quick to apologize for any offense.

"I'm sorry," he fumbles, laughing nervously. "I know that's no way to meet someone...tripping over one of their body parts... It's the unfortunate reality of possessing my Gift, though. I heal extremely quickly, but I manage to fall apart at the slightest stress..."

"It's alright," I assure him as I pick up his dislodged hand.

I gently dust away the dirt before handing it back to him like I'd hand someone a book. He seems surprised by my nonchalant acceptance of his oddities. I'm not exactly the elite of the Gifted either, though, and I'm certainly too odd to be a "Normal", so I think we'll make a good pair.

Putting the detached hand beneath his arm, he extends the other one in greeting.

"Hi, I'm Mike. It's nice to meet--dangit."

The other hand is now in my own, and I can't stop myself. My first reaction is to burst out laughing. The horrified, embarrassed look on the young man's face doesn't help at all.

I have spent so long in my safe, little, silent bubble that I've almost forgotten how to have a friend. I have the kids at the Center, but no adults ever try to get too close. In the two minutes I've known him, though, Mike has managed to burst in and become just the friend I have needed for so long.

I laugh until I feel tears streaming down my face, and then I giggle some more. Mike begins to chuckle with me. It seems as though he, too, hasn't experienced true laughter in quite awhile. Perhaps this friendship won't be one sided. Perhaps I've found someone who will see me for what I can do, instead of stopping at the burden of what they think I can't. Maybe to Mike, I won't be a charity case, and maybe, just maybe, I can help him in return.

"C'mon," I say, still giggling. "Surely the office will have some tape or something to hold you together until your skin reconnects...or whatever it is that you do."

"Eh, it's ok." Mike shrugs nonchalantly. "This sort of thing happens all the time."

His face turns slightly sheepish.

"Besides, the nurses seem to think I'm diseased or something. They just shove me out of the office and Lysol the place to death."

I stop in my tracks and raise an eyebrow. I almost giggle again at my new friend's humor...until I see by the look on his face that he's only half kidding. Instead, I smile as warmly as I possibly can.

"Well then, why don't we explore the campus? It's my first day here, and I haven't had a chance to see much yet."

Mimicking my smile, Mike nods.

"I can show you a few of my favorite haunts if you like," he says with a stitched grin.

At that moment though, I watch as Mike's face goes from that happy smile to a look resembling rage, and he begins trembling all over. I can see sound waves that were an ugly, puke orange coming from behind me. When I turn, several guys in football uniforms are chuckling in a circle. I assume this is the same bunch that set up my meeting with Mike. Then, I see what angered Mike so.

The group is blatantly examining my body while the leader steps up. Despite the fact that I'm modestly dressed in a t-shirt and blue jeans, I feel the need to further cover myself.

"Hey, Kitten," his filthy sound waves flood the air surrounding me. "You must be new around here. I haven't gotten a taste of you yet..."

I can almost feel the waves of anger hitting my back as I turn to see Mike spewing death threats and profanity at the vulgar boy.

When I notice that the guy is talking again, I turn.

"You should leave that worthless piece of trash, and come with us if you really want to have a good time. Anyone seen associating with him is automatically trash too."

Mike falls silent as I put on the most seductive walk I can muster and saunter up to the jock and his buddies. I smile and flip my curtain of blonde curls over my shoulder.

"Before you talk about trash again, you might want to check out a mirror," I smile sweetly.

Angrily, the jock grabs my wrist, and on reflex alone, I drop into a forward position before landing a hard left jab to his stomach followed by a roundhouse kick to his jaw. After recovering from his shock, he stands again, ready to take me on, but then he looks frightened and starts backing away with his mob in tow.

"We'll catch up some other time, kitten," he pants, swiping at the blood on his lip.

"Weird..." I mutter, but when I turn around, I see why they left.

A tall, thin young man with jet black hair and electric blue eyes is standing silently over Mike with a glare that would freeze the soul.

Mike, on the other hand, is now a pile of body parts lying in the grass, still shouting insults.

"You'd better be glad my foot's over there under that tree, or I'd shove it up your-"

"Mike!" I'm concerned, but I can't help the laugh that bursts from me at his pitiful state. "Did it really bother you that bad??"

I lean down and pick up his head. Mike looks away.

"I didn't like the way they looked at you, and then he had the nerve to touch you. Jerk has no respect for women," Mike's eyes find the ground beside me. It's then that I remember the silent man who saved the day. I look up, and he's still standing over us, watching for any other trouble.

"Thank you," I manage, blushing slightly. He only nods respectfully with a kind smile.

"Yeah, thanks, Vinny," Mike's stitched smile half returns. "But I could have taken them."

Vinny nods again, suddenly tossing something in my direction. I catch the roll of duct tape in my left hand as Vinny disappears.

"Thats Vincent... He's a good guy. Quiet. Keeps to himself most of the time, but he's always been good to me."

I stare at the spot where Vinny had been, thoughtfully.

Vincent... I hope I actually get to meet you one day.

I look at the duct tape in my hand.

"Well, lets get you put back together then, shall we?" I laugh.

"You really must be a good person if you're willing to tape me back together the first time we meet," Mike responds playfully.

"Hey, you fell apart for me," I retort slyly, "so what does that make you?"

Mike doesn't say anything, but I can see that the idea of himself that he keeps in his own mind is anything but a "good person".

I start the long process by attaching his head to his neck then pulling Mike's torso and his waist--separated just above the belly button--together and taping all around.

"Watch it! That tickles!" he laughs.

"Quit your complaining, or I'll leave you here in the grass. You'll eventually come together again, right?" My threat is empty, and he knows it, so we both laughed again.

I find the left shoulder and tape it, followed by the elbow and his left hand. Now that one arm is back together, Mike is able to sit up and help me by holding the parts together while I tape. As we work, we find ourselves in casual conversation.

"So...is it too soon to ask you a personal question?" Mike ventures.

"I'm duct taping your body back together... I think we passed personal questions awhile back," I laugh. He laughs too, but it's a dark, thoughtful one.

"H-Have you always been...deaf?" he chokes.

I'm slightly taken off guard by the question. It isn't that I've never been asked before. Quite the contrary, really. A lot of people are curious. Rather, it's the way he asked, and the fact that I haven't told him I'm deaf...yet somehow, he knew. His wasn't the typical tone with the blatant discomfort at asking about a disability. There were no traces of pity. Just curiosity--plain, simple desire to know.

"No." This isn't the first time I've told the story before either, but something about telling him makes the sadness of the memory resurface. I don't feel the need to hide my pain from Mike. His blind friendship demands utter truth. "I could hear until I was seven years old."

"You don't have to tell me..." I can see my own pain reflecting in his crimson eyes.

"It's alright," I promise him. "There was a car crash... It was raining that night, and dad was in a hurry. He ran a red light. It was a hummer vs. our little Honda Civic. It hit the back seat where I was sitting. I was about two inches away from being crushed to death. The doctors said it was the sound of the impact that destroyed my eardrums. They said my family didn't feel any pain. That they-"

"Shh," Mike pulls me into an awkward, seated hug. "You can tell me the rest some other time, ok?"

I nod, feeling embarrassed that I let so much emotion come bursting out on this man I just met. This man who cares about me for some crazy reason. This man who is now, suddenly, my best friend.

When I finally regain my composure, the sun is starting to set over the massive bell tower of the main building. I sit up and look at Mike with bloodshot eyes, and I find that his are misty as well.

"Hey, how about we go grab a snack or something?"

"Sounds good to me," I laugh, wiping my face. "Where should we go?"

"Well, there's a bar & grill if you want a drink too. We could hit a fast food joint..." he thinks for a moment. "There's always the campus coffee house..."

~#*CoS*#~

And there's your DP! Where does our odd little pair go?
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
5512 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike is precious. I like Mike. And, as unfortunate as it is that he flops apart so easily, I find it infinitely funny that when he's angry there's this head ranting on the ground while his body parts writhe with rage. Adorable. XD

Vincent intrigues me, and I am ever so curious about what his Gift is. Something dangerous if the jocks hightailing it out of there are any indication. (I mean I assume he has a gift anyway, lol).

Also, our girl Aria knows some moves. Which is awesome.

For the DP I'm going to say...food truck. Cheap, accessible, delicious, and then they can sit anywhere they want to dine and chat :3
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Topics: 75
Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
18382 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knew I recognised the title! This one was a while back and I know I was enjoying it way back when.

I'm going to say head to the campus coffee house, so we can get a better picture of this new environment we find ourselves in.

Looking forward to more! Keep up the good work. Smile

Novelest_Ninjagirl
Respected Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
5126 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Warning: I am on cold meds. Take my post with a grain of salt if it gets weird and I don't notice. XD))

I definitely like Mike! And I find myself wondering what the connection between Mike and Vinny is that he'd step up to defend him like that. The instant friendship thing seems odd, as someone with trouble making friends, but then again, it happens. I hope the friendship deepens cause their interactions are so cute! Wonder how he was able to tell she was deaf, though. Hmm...

As for the DP, I vote a nearby fast food place.

Thegaywizardly
Tourist

Items
Legends
39 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does The Gift advance as you get older? You know like from written signs and symbols could give life instead of just the drawing. A fine balance in this here SG. I like the way mike is portraited, has a certain resonance. Male.

Can I suggest something spontaineous? Like they take a walk around the block several times playing a word game or something.
Novelest_Ninjagirl
Respected Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
5126 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*nudge nudge* I was curious, do you think this is ready for a poll yet? I'm anxious to see it continue!
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 339

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also ~nudge~
Emperor
Citizen

Topics: 29

Items
Legends
2041 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its nice to see some of the heavy hitters back. There are many things I liked about both pieces.

I particularly liked this
Quote:
"Hey, you fell apart for me," I retort slyly, "so what does that make you?"

Good work Andolyn!
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Storygames: Fantasy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: