Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Memories of the Sea - Chapter 9 now up!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

(currently a favorite of 5 users)
   Storygames Home -> The Fantasy Forest - Fantasy Storygames -> Storygames: Fantasy
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author Chapter
themightyzan
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
1150 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Memories of the Sea - Chapter 9 now up! Reply with quote

Taking a chance and joining in on the storygames. Just a bit of prologue to start, so no DP but the next part should be up soon so I figured I would go ahead and post this part for people to see.

~~

She never had been any good at starting a story.

The middle she could find, and the end was usually something that came to her halfway through, but the beginning, the place where the whole thing needed to take that first step? She could sit with that for days before it struggled to its feet.

There had been a teacher once, wasn’t there always, that had told her that she needed to write about what she knew, what was important to her, and that when she did the words would come to her easily.

She’d always found that wisdom to be a particularly useless type of bullshit.

Writing what she knew wasn’t easier. Just because she could tell someone about the migration patterns of tiger sharks and why they were completed didn’t mean she could put down into written words the shark’s feelings as such things were happening, or what they saw along the way.

Writing required emotions, and details, and thousands of little things that built up the world that was being discussed. And her? She was the type of person who got stuck trying to explain how one brown was brown, but another brown was a different brown entirely.

But this was her life that she wanted to write about now. She had been there for the details of it, for the ups and down and emotions that had stretched out over the years. She didn’t have to make up interesting facts because she had lived through them, could picture them, sometimes too clearly, when she closed her eyes and thought back.

How simple everything had been when it started out. She had been so sure of everything. The world was the world, the unknowns small, and she never had to question her place in it.

She should have known better. The problem with complacency was that fate didn’t care how comfortable you wanted to stay.

Not that she had any right to complain. While she might not have asked for the turns her life had taken they had all lead to more than she could ever have imagined.

She wanted to share all that, wanted to write it all down while she could still do so with clarity. She wanted others to understand the moments of terror and joy, pain and comfort, each tiny thing that lead to now.

Maybe no one would read it, maybe it would sit forgotten in some library eons after she was little more than dust and memories, or maybe, just maybe, someone would read it and relate, would see themselves in her words.

Or maybe she was just fooling herself, and all this was nothing more than useless drabble that she would give up on halfway through.

Laughing at the idea, because it wasn’t entirely without merit knowing her track record with such attempts, she focused back on the blank page before her and started.

Last edited by themightyzan on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:57 pm; edited 21 times in total
Novelest_Ninjagirl
Respected Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
5126 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely intrigued! I find myself wondering what kind of life they've led that they want to write about, wondering why it is they're feeling driven to write when it doesn't come naturally. Can't wait to see more, and welcome to If!
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Topics: 20
Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Items
Legends
12390 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAAAAY ZAN!!

I'm so glad you're here. =D Very well done with the intro! I'm interested to see what comes of this.
sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
2730 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for the first chapter, mate. Smile This looks interesting!

Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 24

Items
Legends
5251 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done! Simple, yet very effective start. Looking forward to the chapter Very Happy

The eyes are useless if the mind is blind.
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
9744 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've given us what is essentially a snippet into the mind of one person deliberating over one decision. While this is an interesting way to start a tale, I hope to see more description of her surroundings, her world, the people who are interacting with her, ect in the following chapters.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
10415 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder now if we're being invited to shape the events of the character's life through the DPs as she puts pen to paper... truly interesting indeed!
Author Chapter
themightyzan
Resident

Items
Legends
1150 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad people are interested. ^.^

There will definitely be more detail in the actual chapters, the first of which should be up tonight.
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
5512 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very intriguing! I'm eager to read more :3
Author Chapter
themightyzan
Resident

Items
Legends
1150 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Chapter! You get to learn the name of the writer! Heh, hope you enjoy!
~~

Bree’s story began in a library.

Well, that wasn’t technically true. Technically her story had began when she was born, which definitely wasn’t in a library, and was instead, as most births were, in a hospital. But that didn’t really matter, especially since it paled in comparison to where she would go.

So, the important part of her story started in a library.

And what a lovely library it was.

It had been converted from an old house, pre-victorian by the looks of it, not that she had ever been knowledgeable about house styles. It sat square in an outcrop of trees off the main city road, the once bright bricks of its facade dulled to a muddled white from years of facing the elements. She stood in front of it for a long time, eyes trailing over the clean, simple lines of the double porch that shielded the doors on both floors and the sign that sat just to the side.

“Oceanbreaker Family Library”

Lovely, she thought to herself as she forced her feet to move up the stairs and to the door. Testing the knob, she pushed through and into the dark interior. The tapping of her heels echoed on the wood floor as she searched along the walls for a switch. Finding it, she blinked through the yellowed light at the foyer she stood in.

To each side she could see through archways into rooms filled to bursting with row after row of books, and behind the main desk before her the stairs seemed to lead to more of the same.

She couldn’t help smiling at it, and, after making sure she was alone, closing her eyes and taking in a deep breath, her smile widening at the musty smell of paper and binding. It was the smell of history, of knowledge, and one that was too easily overlooked in the age of the internet and instant information.

She took a few hesitant steps forward, voice lifting as she called out to see if anyone else was in the building. Getting no response, she grew bolder and started through the rooms. Each one was a different genre, and she gave cursory glances to the books as she went. Finally, she paused before a door with a sign that read 'Other' on it.

Intrigued, Bree tried the handle and clicked it open when she found no resistance. She stepped into a small room, amazed to see that every available space was covered with books, and reached out automatically to pick one up from the closest pile.

“Icthological Invocation,” she sounded out under her breath, frowning at the title a moment before she shifted the book in her hands so she could open it.

“Can I help you?”

The question seemed to boom around her, causing her to jump and fumble the book in her hands before getting a firm grip on it and spinning around.

A man stood in the doorway, and Bree found herself staring at him the same way she had at the front of the building when she had first arrived. Lovely, the thought came again, although this time it was accompanied by a healthy dose of uncertainty. The man was huge; his head stooped down slightly in the doorway and the width of his shoulders blocking out the rest of the house behind him.

He was dressed in a suit, the gray of it stark in the morning light that streamed in from the window behind her, and the cut of his hair, so blonde it was nearly white, put her in mind of a lawyer.

And his eyes were the most interesting shade of pale grey she had ever seen.

That thought alone had her snapping back to herself.

“Yes,” She stated simply, setting the book back on its stack. “You can. I’m Brighid Casen and I was supposed to be meeting with Mr. Hadlem about my new position.”

“Mr. Hadlem isn’t here,” he replied, his arms coming up to fold over his chest, and putting her in mind of a brick wall. “He sent me in his place.”

“Oh, alright then,” Bree breathed out before mentally forcing her voice back to normalcy. The way he was staring at her made her want to smooth a hand down her coal black suit or check to see if her hair was in place. She had to stop herself to keep from doing so.

“I’m the new librarian. He was supposed to be showing me around, Mr…” She trailed off and stuck out her hand to shake his, wondering if he would take her up on it.

Time seemed to stretch out between them, and his gaze never softened, before he finally took her hand, his palm engulfing hers, in a brief shake before pulling away. “Oceanbreaker. It’s a pleasure to meet you Ms. Casen.”

It didn’t seem like a pleasure, it seemed like an inconvenience that he wished would leave before he had to deal with it, but she had of course recognized the last name so stopped herself from saying so, instead forcing a pleasant smile to her face.

“Mr. Oceanbreaker, so you’re the one who owns the library?”

“Hardly. It belongs to my father though he will rarely be out here himself. I simply get the task of checking up on things.”

“So are you the one I’ll be answering to?”

“Apparently.” The word was ground out, the man’s eyes narrowing before he turned on his heels and started out the door. “Come with me, I’ll show you around.”

“Well, I’ve already…” Bree trailed off when he didn’t acknowledge her words and frowned at his back before hurrying after him. “Mr. Oceanbreaker, I’ve already had a look around. I know which rooms hold which genres and while I like the room idea I have ideas on how to better sort things within each room so that they can found more easily.”

Oceanbreaker paused in his tracks, causing her to almost run into his back, and looked down at her. “Ideas? Ms. Casen, the former librarian worked here for more years than you’ve been alive. I’m sure his way of handling things was just fine.”

“It’s fine if you already know where things are,” she agreed, taking a few steps back so she could look up at him. “But if you are hoping to attract new people you need to make things easier to find.”

He hummed at her, neither agreement nor disagreement in the sound, then started walking again.

Bree didn’t bother saying anything else, merely quickened her pace so she could follow him as he showed her back rooms and main offices, his tone clipped as he listed off what each place was before moving onto the next. When he finally reached a closed door, the words ‘Keep Out’ written in bold letters on the plaque, she was nearly out of breath from trying to keep up.

“This room, Ms. Casen, is off limits. Even to you.”

“What is it,” she asked, curiosity getting the better of her as she stepped closer, and was immediately blocked off by his hand.

“Nothing you need to worry about.”

Bree recognized a brush off when she heard one, and years of experience with them had her filing any other questions she had for him away as he lead her back to the front of the building.

Reaching the information desk that sat in front of the main doors, Oceanbreaker turned to look at her again, his expression no less soft than it had been when they had met upstairs. “That should be everything you need to know today, Ms. Casen. Unless you had questions.”

“Only one, Mr. Oceanbreaker,” she replied. keeping her voice even as she stood under his annoyed regard. “Why do you seem to dislike me so much?”

To his credit Oceanbreaker’s expression never changed, but for some reason Bree couldn’t help thinking that he was smiling at her, even if his face never showed it. The feeling passed as quickly as it had appeared, and she was left staring up into the overly polite lack of emotion again.

“I will be honest with you, Ms. Casen, it wasn’t my idea to hire you in the first place. In fact, if I had my way, you wouldn’t be here at all. However, I don’t get to make that decision, my father and Mr. Hadlem do, and they wanted you. So, while I can’t say I know you enough to dislike you, I also can’t say I’m happy about the situation.”

Bree blinked, surprised enough by the words that she could only nod and offer a weak “I’m sorry” before he gave her a short bow and turn away.

She stared at his retreating back, what he had said rushing back to her when they broke eye contact and causing her shoulders to tighten. He was acting like there was something wrong with her like it was her fault others had seen something worthy in her, like she had something to be ashamed off.

How dare he, she thought, her fingers curling up into her palms. How dare he act like she wasn’t qualified to be here.

She wanted to chase after him, wanted to tell him exactly where he could take his disapproval and shove it, wanted to make him see her as something other than an inconvenience, but at the same time she didn’t want to give him the satisfaction of riling her up. She had other things to worry about after all.

Her inner turmoil didn’t seem to phase him, however, since he walked out of the building without another word, the door slamming behind him.
~~

So, first DP. Does Bree go after him, annoyed that he is mad at her for no reason, decide it would be easier to ignore him and stay inside the library, or does she do something else?

Last edited by themightyzan on Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
5512 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bree should stay at the library...and reorganize things as she suggested regardless of what this gruff wall of a man had to say about it. That'll teach him Wink
Novelest_Ninjagirl
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
5126 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the fact that it involves a library. Just instantly in love with the story, I need no more. The fact that there IS more though, is fantastic. I'm liking the way it feels like it's amping up to something.

As for the dp, I think the best thing to do would be to set out to prove yourself- immediately. Running after him and acting like a child won't solve anything, getting this library in tip top shape will. She should definitely go deeper into the library and start taking notes on what needs to be done.

kkdestiny
Mayor

Topics: 56

Items
Legends
7049 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah...kill him with work and proof Very Happy

*cough* I mean...I agree with the idea that we can't prove ourself much by chasing after him and protesting. He might appreciate us sticking up for ourselves, but he might not, and he's already unhappy.

We should probably take his disapproval and use it to add fire to our work ethic, and getting some real work done. The best way to make someone think that you're qualified for something is to show them, because words are easily cast aside and ignored but results are not.

"The Freedom of Magic" Just got its THIRD chapter up!

Hope you all find the time to read them Very Happy *goes off to look for an SG to read*

Note to self: The Elven Moon; Coin; SVI; Black Animals; Two Wolves; Angel Cat
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Items
Legends
12390 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be checking out that door! lol!

There has to be a key hole or a space under the door with a building that old...go check that sucker out!

Great start, Zan! You're going to fit right in, here! Very Happy
sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
2730 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha Andi has the same idea as me. I wanna check the door out!

But, she just started in the library. Perhaps she should organise the place according to her system, first.

Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
5251 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. He's already made up his mind about us, so there's nothing we can say that'll change his mind. The things we do however...

I agree with everyone else here! Ignore the douche and check out that door!

Author Chapter
themightyzan
Resident

Items
Legends
1150 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! I like the way you all think. ^.^

Thank you for all the suggestions! The poll is now up to vote on.
themightyzan
Resident

Items
Legends
1150 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closing the poll so the next part should be out soon. ^.^

What should Bree do?
Begin working on organizing books in rooms? 16%
Go more thoroughly through the library to see what she is working with? 33%
Go to check out the door that she was told to leave alone? 50%
Vikas Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
3192 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, caught up a bit too late Razz

Its okay though, the suggestion I had won the poll! xD

And just like the others, Im loving what you've brought to the story so far! Cant wait for the next installment!

Be sure to read HATE in Romance section Wink

Author Chapter
themightyzan
Resident

Items
Legends
1150 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 2! I'm glad you all are enjoying it, hopefully you continue to do so! ^.^

~~

“Rude.” Bree muttered the word at the shut door before loosening her hands and then relaxing her shoulders. It didn’t matter after all, as he had said himself he wasn’t the one she needed to worry about impressing.

Judging by the suit and haircut he probably thought he had better things to do and wouldn’t be here often anyway, maybe even at all.

She could always hope. Which of course meant he would probably be there all the time.

She inhaled slowly, willing away the last of her tension, then looked back at the hall they had come out of, her mind going to the door he had told her to leave alone. It was all well and good of course that the owners had a private room, but she was the librarian, this was her space. Surely she should be allowed to at least know what was in there and whether or not she should be concerned about it.

And if it had been anyone else from the family, perhaps a member that didn’t seem to dislike her on sight, they would probably have been happy to share. That thought was motivation enough to at least get her down the hall and back in front of the door.

Bree tried the handle first, unsurprised when the door held firm. She probably would have been disappointed if it had been as easy as all that to investigate anyway. She swept her hand along the edges of the door, her fingers catching in cracks and on hinges, but found nothing that seemed a wide enough gap that she would be able to see anything through. Bree chewed on the inside of her cheek as she stepped back and regarded the dark, wooden barrier, noting the simple swirling design that seemed to cover most of the doors in the building. Finally, she heaved a sigh, and, mindful of her suit and what it would look like after sitting on the dusty floor, squated down enough that she was eye level with the antique looking keyhole that sat beneath the handle.

She had the thought that they really should update such things before she pressed her eye closer and tried to focus through the small view port. Unsurprisingly, it didn’t offer much besides the vague impression of what she could only assume was another door across from her.

“Huh.” She pushed herself back to standing and glanced around before making her way back to the front doors and out onto the porch. Seeing a pathway that lead from the main walk to around the building she stepped down to follow it.

The house was big yes, but she hadn’t noticed any offshoots from the original square design when she had first past it on the road to find the walk to the front, which meant of course that the door she thought she saw would lead directly to the outside. Now, nearing the back edge, she could see that she had been right about the design, at least to a degree.

The library was square, the tall squatness of it, and wasn’t that a contradiction that made no sense, but did describe the building in a strange, not-quite-right, way, seeming to grow out of the underbrush that hid most of the foundation. It just didn’t have a back quite like she was expecting.

There was a sunroom, or at least that is what her grandmother had always called the all windowed rooms off houses that Bree herself had never seen a point in. If you wanted to sit in the sun, why wouldn’t you also want to feel the breeze or hear the noises that came with it? But unlike most sunrooms, which set attached to a house even if they weren’t actually a part of it, this one sat within the square space, the tall windows that made up two sides of it flush with the siding of the top floor and closed off rooms beside it.

Bree stepped closer to one of the windows, her hand coming up to touch the cool glass as she stared at the gauzy drappings that covered the other side. All the windows seemed to have them, and with the sun angling through the trees behind her she could just make out the faint outlines of the furniture inside.

She could also hear what sounded like running water, and wondered if there was perhaps a fountain since they were not near enough to the bay the town was situated around to hear anything from it.

Stepping away, she stared at the half formed scene behind the drapes another moment before moving around the corner and finding the door she had guessed at before.

It was simpler than the main one, and even the ones inside, its plain, white painted wood unassuming and surprisingly flimsy looking compared to the rest of the place. She didn’t expect it to be any more unlocked then the other door had been, but she tested it in case, and was surprised to find that it was not only locked but it barely moved. Most doors would give some, and the knobs or handles would move at least a little when shook. This one merely stood stoically, as if budging at all would be a failure on its part.

Bree got the distinct impression of a soldier guarding a gate, and frowned at the feeling before moving to another windows to see if she could get a better look.

“What are you doing?”

The voice was pleasant, curious in an amused way, but the suddenness of it had Bree jumping nearly as badly as Oceanbreaker had. She jerk away from the window, her heel catching on some root from the plants around her before her foot pulled itself from her shoe and she went toppling backwards.

Warm hands closed around her wrists, stopping her backwards decent before she could meet the ground, and yanked hard enough that she nearly jumped forward again. Her breath rushed out with the movements, leaving her gasping as the hands moved from her wrists to her shoulders to steady her.

“Careful now. Can’t have you ruining such a nice suit.”

She stared dumbly at the person in front of her, noting flashing white teeth in a friendly smile before she was able to put her thoughts together.

“I- I am so sorry. Thank you.” She managed to get out, stepping back immediately so that she could look around for her now missing shoe. “I didn’t hear you.” She found the sensible pump, as her sister had laughingly called it, still tangled in the roots and pulled it out to slip back on her foot.

“No, you were too busy trying to peep through windows.”

She stiffened at the comment, and felt her cheeks flame as she stared down at her feet. Counting to five, and willing the blush to leave, she made sure her expression was carefully neutral before she turned back to the other person.

He, it was a he, and he was still smiling at her. She forced herself to study him, since it seemed to be what he was doing to her, and felt her brows lower over her eyes. He was handsome enough in a lanky way. He was just as tall as Oceanbreaker had been, but lean with it, and had shaggy hair that was so black the edges of it shone blue in the light, but the way he was dressed…

She remembered watching a musical when she was little, before she had known what they were and discovered that she didn’t much care for them, that had been set vaguely in the 1920s with costumes that seemed to pick and borrow from the eras around it.

He reminded her of that. He wore trim fitting trousers, because that word seemed more appropriate than pants, made of some ambiguous, dark blue fabric, that were pulled up high on his waist, the ends near his feet cuffed above the ankles, showing off high topped leather shoes, and a vest the same color as his pants hanging open over a tucked in white long sleeved shirt that he had rolled up over his forearms.

He was also wearing what appeared to be some sort of narrow brimmed hat that she couldn’t remember the name of pushed back on his head.

“What are you,” she found herself asking before politeness reinserted itself and she realized that probably wasn’t the appropriate or even acceptable thing to say.

The man laughed, eyes almost the same color as his clothing crinkling at the edges as he slid his hands into his pockets. “I never know how to answer that.”

Bree stared at him, horrified at herself for asking such a thing, especially after he had caught her doing her best snooping act and saving her from destroying herself against the ground.

Straightening her back and squaring her shoulders, she forced herself to look him in the eye, pretending a confidence that she didn’t actually have. “I’m sorry, that’s not what I meant. I meant to ask who you are.”

His smile widened, and he rocked back on his heels for a second before replying. “Shouldn’t I be asking you that? Seeing as you’re the one who was peeking through windows.”

He was probably right, and she took a few steps toward him, hand raising in an offer to shake his. “Of course, sorry, you’re right. I’m Brighid Casen, the new librarian here.”

“Ah, the mysterious Brighid. Named for the patroness of poetry, among other things, in celtic legend. Do you write poetry yourself?” He took her hand as he spoke, a dark eyebrow quirking up as they shook.

“No,” Bree stated, unsure if she should say more but not knowing what type of response he was looking for. She hadn’t been named after the celtic legend, she had been named after her great aunt on her mother’s side. She hadn’t written poetry either.

“Too bad.” He dropped her hand and looked her over again before focusing back on her face. “Should have known though, you don’t dress like someone who writes poetry.”

What did that even mean? She looked down at herself, trying to find fault with the black dress suit she was wearing before giving up. It had been a sensible choice, unassuming and professional. Perfect for a first impression at work.

“So tell me, are you going to stand on formalities and insist I call you Ms. Casen, or can I call you Brighid?”

She looked back up and blinked at him before shaking her head in an effort to clear it. “I don’t care either way, though if you are going to call me anything other than Ms. Casen, I would rather it be Bree.”

“Like the cheese?”

Bree rolled her eyes at the question. It was not the first time it had been asked of her, and she doubted it would be the last. “Yes, like the cheese, though I doubt I taste as good.”

“There are always ways to find out,” he quipped before an emotion she couldn’t quite place raced across his face and was gone before she was even sure she had seen it. “Shouldn’t have said that, sorry. Not my place to taste. So, I hear you come to us with a background in mythological studies. I suppose that’s one of the reasons you’re here.”

“Yes, my studies have mainly been in how myths are adapted over time depending on cultural-” She broke off and scowled at him, her hand coming up in a vague gesture of confusion. “Wait. Sorry, who are you exactly that you know this about me.”

He seemed genuinely surprised a moment, as if he had never had anyone not know who he was before. “Oh, right. I’m Micah Oceanbreaker. So do you know any of the myths originating out of Syria?”

“Syria?” Her brain scrambled to keep up, and she contemplated running her hands over her eyes before thinking better of it. “I- uh, yes. I’m sorry,” she continued, aware that she had probably said ‘sorry’ more times today than she ever had in her life, “You’re last name is Oceanbreaker?”

"Like the sign up front, yes."

"Oh," she said quietly, "are you related to the Mr. Oceanbreaker that was here before?"

"Mr. Oceanbreaker," he said quizzically, amusement curling his mouth into another smile. "Did he ask you to call him that? Anything to keep distant I suppose. I hope you weren't planning on using that on me."

"What would you like me to call you?"

"Micah of course, since that's my name. Alex will come off it sooner or later, he’s usually not so pushy about formalities. As to if we are related, yes. He’s my brother.”

Bree tried to process that, mentally comparing the relaxed man in front of her with the mountain of annoyance and short answers she had met before. It didn’t seem possible, so she simply shook her head. “I have a question if I may.”

“Of course.”

“Is your brother a lawyer?”

“Alex, a lawyer?” Micah laughed at the idea, the bright sound of it echoing off the trees around them. “Thankfully, no. He’s a…” he trailed off, apparently unsure of what his brother actually was. “A politician.”

“A politician, here?” She could see how he would easily fit that role also.

"No. But that's boring. I'd rather talk about you."

She opened her mouth to respond when she finally noticed that the door that lead into the locked off room was open. “Did you come from in there,” she asked, pushing past him as all thoughts of politeness fled in the wake of her curiosity.

Micah tracked her movements, humor lacing through his voice again as he replied. “I did.”

“But you weren’t in there before,” she shot back. She hadn’t been able to see much through the covered windows but she knew she hadn’t seen anything that might have been a person.

“The room does have more than one door.”

That was true, of course. It was entirely possible that he had come in through the building and seen her nearly pressed to the glass from the inside. “I was told I wasn’t allowed in there.”

“And so the first thing you did was see if you could get in? I do think I am going to like you, Bree. I don’t know why you would want to get in there in the first place though. It’s mostly used as storage.” He gestured towards the door with his hand as he spoke, looking for all the world like he was challenging her to prove him wrong.

Bree ascended the steps, eyes scanning the room as she passed into the coolness of it. Micah had apparently been telling the truth about the storage part, if the stacks of chairs and tables were any indication. In fact, the only thing of interest was the large waterfall of a fountain that set along the inner wall just beside the door heading back into the library proper. The curtain of water had to be at least three feet wide, and splashed merrily into a shallow pool at the bottom that was guarded on either side by the laughing stone visages of a half dozen nymphs.

She might have called it garish and tacky if she hadn’t been with someone who was part of the family who owned it. “Moisture is bad for books,” is what she came up with instead.

Micah closed the outside door and grinned at her. “We’re lucky it’s not near the books then.”

He moved to the inner door and opened it, gesturing again when she focused back on him. “Unless you want to look around more.”

She did a quick turn, still not seeing what was important enough that she wouldn't be allowed a key. Biting back a disappointed sigh she preceded him out and watched as he closed and locked the door with a small copper key.

Micah pocketed the key and shot her an assessing gaze from the corner of his eye. "I have to go into town. If you want to walk with me I’ll be happy to answer questions about the town and whatnot. Since it seems Alex is still fighting the inevitable.”

Bree started to reply, but he continued on as if he didn’t see her, his wide grin back in place. “Unless you have things you need to be doing. In that case I’ll be happy to leave you to your work.”

She did have things to do, and getting started on them would be the smart thing, but having someone willing to tell her about her new home, or even maybe about the family she was now working for, seemed like an excellent opportunity.

She had always hated such choices.

~~

DP! What should she do?
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Items
Legends
12390 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go wiiith him! He's funny, and he likes us. Goooooo. =D

Great chapter! I REALLY like this new character. I want to know more about him and how he can enter rooms through waterfalls. Wink
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
5512 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great new chapter, Zan! Loving the new character. And while we know what is in the sunroom now, it is still super duper mysterious to me, and I hope we get to go back.

For the DP...while common sense dictates she should stay at the library (I think she's the only one there now that Alex is gone...?), the temptation to know more about this man and the town she finds herself in is all too great. Besides, Micah can lock up, right? XD
kkdestiny
Mayor

Items
Legends
7049 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOOOO :O

XD

I know we said we'd do our job first but...he's /related/ to the job, kinda, maybe, right? Very Happy

Hope you all find the time to read them Very Happy *goes off to look for an SG to read*

themightyzan
Resident

Items
Legends
1150 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, is everyone going to say go with him? He could be a serial killer! Razz

Also, Andi, you are assuming an awful lot about a random fountain. There is a door right there. ^.~
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
5512 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made him too witty and charming, Zan. We can't not choose for her to go along, potential serial killer or not, lol.
Novelest_Ninjagirl
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
5126 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm loving this already, and can't wait to see if there's more to learn about that fountain. Somehow my brain is going fountain of youth, but that's waaaaay to obvious.

I'm gonna go ahead and be the dissenting voice and say that she should ask for a rain check, and stick around the library. (definitely should say she'll take him up on the offer another time though)
kkdestiny
Mayor

Items
Legends
7049 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new suggestion to us going with him: ask what he is again. XD or, alternatively, ask why he's interested in syrian mythology, since its not one that most people dig into I think. (most people i know either like norse, egyptian or greek/roman mythology)

themightyzan
Resident

Items
Legends
1150 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see where this is going, so poll is now up! Razz
Phantomfan
Citizen

Topics: 7

Items
Legends
2507 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, Zan! I got here to late to add a suggestion, but not too late to vote!
Just a few comments:
Firstly, I really like what you're setting up here. There's a lot of possibilities, which feels very freeing for an SG!
As far as your writing style goes, I'm not sure how I feel about how long some of your sentences get. On one hand, the length can make them rather confusing and difficult to follow. (not always, but sometimes) But on the other hand, they seem to mimic the "train of thought" idea, which makes sense considering it's being written by Bree, who is not a writer. If that's intentional, then by all means continue it, but I might suggest looking at some of the longer ones and shortening them down a bit. Particularly dialogue- you'd be amazed at how many periods actually happen when people are conversing.

Keep 'em coming!

Here's some stuff I started writing a long time ago. Orb. Nexus.
Author Chapter
themightyzan
Resident

Items
Legends
1150 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll results! Woot woot! ^.^

What should Bree do?
Tell Micah she has work and take rain check. 20%
Go with Micah and ask him general questions about himself and the town. 60%
Go with Micah and ask him specific questions about himself. 20%
Author Chapter
themightyzan
Resident

Items
Legends
1150 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 3!

~~

“I would greatly appreciate more answers,” Bree stated, offering a polite hint of a smile when Micah clap his hands together in pleased response.

“Excellent.” Micah grabbed her hand and pulled her out the front door, pausing only long enough to hook her fingers in and over his arm. When she frowned at the gesture--because who really walked like that anymore?--and he patted her hand lightly.

“Nothing like a pretty lady on your arm to make a day better.”

The compliment might have made Bree blush if she wasn’t still trying to get her feet back under her. Micah had the same ground eating stride as his brother, and while she had hurried to keep up with the latter, the former seemed content to haul her with him whether her legs wanted to move that fast or not.

“So, answers, I believe that’s what you wanted. You’ll need to ask the questions first.”

It was too casual a thing to say, too flippant at least to her mind--considering all the things she didn’t know. About her employers, about what they expected of her, or even about the town they were now steadily walking towards the heart of.

Well, she did know a bit more about the town she supposed. She knew that it was named Beck, a strange word for a stream that she had found more than a little amusing since bays often formed at the mouth of such things. It was located on what was technically an island off the coast of South Carolina; it was mostly known for its fishing and tourists, and there were less than 500 actual residents that lived here full time. But all that was just researched--and not even hard research--information.

She searched her mind for a question that would reveal things about the town, something that she couldn’t simply find on a computer.

“Has your family lived here a long time?” The question sounded ridiculously boring to her own ears and Bree mentally chastised herself for not starting with something better, but since Micah tilted his head as if he was thinking over the answer she supposed he didn’t mind.

“We don’t live here,” he finally said, mouth twisting as if he was trying to find a better way to phrase it. “But we’ve been around since there was a town to speak of. Well, ‘we’ve’ is relative, since I can’t say that myself or my siblings and parents have been around that long, but an Oceanbreaker always has. Where are you from?”

Bree frowned at the information. “North Carolina. Where do you live if you don’t live here? Another town nearby?” But that wouldn’t make sense seeing as there wasn’t another town nearby, at least by normal standards. She wanted to say the closest was still over 40 minutes’ drive by car.

“No. Not a town nearby,” Micah replied after a few seconds of hesitation, his voice warbling with humor as if he had just told some private joke that he had no intention of sharing with her.

“That isn’t an answer.”

“And that isn’t a question,” he countered, his face angling down so that he could look at her. “What are your plans for the library? An enterprising young woman like yourself must have some.”

It was a change of subject, a very obvious one, and Bree stopped herself from pointing it out only because she didn’t think it would actually help focus the conversation back on what they had been talking about.

“I was thinking that I might rearrange the books in each room to be more easily found. While a room per genre is a good idea, as I told your brother, having sections within each room would make them more user friendly. So, an example being, in the romance room you could have shelves clearly marked by what type of romance it is. That way if someone is trying to find a specific book about a romance between an 18th century woman and a werewolf, or something to that effect, they would know that they could go right to the shelves that hold the period paranormal pieces and find what they are looking for. There will be crossover of course, but-”

Bree cut herself off, realizing suddenly that they had stopped walking and Micah was staring at her as if she was some puzzle that needed figuring out.

“What?”

He shook his head, his face clearing as he stepped away from her enough to take her hand and spin her in a haphazard twirl. He kissed her knuckles as she steadied herself.

“Nothing. I was just thinking that you are lovely, and perfect, and I can’t wait to see how this plays out.”

“What plays out?”

“All of it,” he replied, offering a wide grin before throwing his arm around her as if they were old friends-- at least she assumed as much since none of her friends were really the throwing arms type,-- and pushing her into walking again. “Unless I steal you for myself first. So I’m assuming you will need help completing this grand plan.”

She wasn’t exactly sure what he wanted to steal her from, but if that was a strange roundabout way of saying he wanted to ask her on a date, well, it was better than the sweaty palms and stuttering of the last man who had done so.

She got lost on that memory for a minute before Micah squeezed her arm in question and Bree realized she hadn’t answered him. “I can work on it myself, it will just take awhile to get situated.”

It would hardly be the first series of long nights and endless weekends that she had pulled for a job, and at least with this one she would be doing something that she could see herself enjoying. She had always liked books, and discovering new ones, and, if she was being completely honest, creating organization systems.

It was probably a good thing she had gotten a degree in library studies.

“Nonsense,” Micah was saying, his tone leaving little room for argument. Not that she would try very hard to argue if he knew of someone who was willing to take on some of the work.

“You already have Agnes working with you, and I can talk Ash into bringing the sisters to help, plus Alex and I should both be free.”

The idea of Alex helping seemed about as likely as the ground opening up and swallowing her after his admission of not wanting her there, but it seemed useless pointing that out to his brother who would probably hear nothing against him, so she focused on the first two parts instead. “I have someone named Agnes working with me? And who is Ash and the sisters?”

“Right,” Micah laughed out, “you haven’t met them yet, don’t know why I assumed you had. Agnes isn’t one for just introducing herself. To the second part, Ash is my sister.”

“How many siblings do you have?”

“Just the two. Ash was busy today with her training so couldn’t come herself to meet you, but she’ll be free tomorrow.”

“I can’t ask your sister, who I’ve never met and is part of the family I work for, to help me.”

“You aren’t. I am. Don’t worry, she can’t say no to me. Neither can the sisters, but I’ll have to see who shows up before I tell you about them.”

Bree wondered if there was anyone who could say no to him.

Probably not, if the world worked the way she knew it did when it came to handsome men with a knack for words.

“What does your sister do?”

He didn’t answer her right away, and she looked up to see the same thoughtful expression that he’d had when trying to explain Alex’s job. When he did speak his words were distracted. “She’s learning alternative medicine.”

It became clear after a moment that no other elaboration was coming, so she decided to move the subject forward herself. “So your brother is a politician, and your sister works with medicine, what is it that you do?”

Micah laughed, his arm tightening again as if he was proud of her for thinking to ask. “I, my dear, am a younger brother, and am quite happy with the role. Younger brothers get to do just about whatever they please without having to worry about taking anything too seriously.”

It didn’t ring entirely true. She of course believed that he was a younger brother, and that he didn’t do anything specific as a job, but the not taking things seriously part was where the persona seemed to falter, almost like it was a jacket that didn’t fit quite right, and drooped in one sleeve while it bunched painfully on the other. She wasn’t sure why she felt that way though.

“And here we are, right where I must leave you.” Micah’s words broke through Bree’s thoughts and she looked up at him as he dropped his arm from around her and stepped back.

“I’ll leave you here to do as you please, and drown in anticipation until I can see you again in the morning.” His lips tilted up slightly with his words, and he lifted a hand to his hat to bob it up and down in some sort of parting gesture to her.

“Good afternoon,” she said looking around for the first time at where they had stopped. It was the last intersection before reaching the town proper. The large, light blue sign that had the town name written in a flourish of gold across it was right before her.

“Good afternoon, Bree,” Micah echoed before turning away.

~~

Ok! So! Bree has a lot of options for the next DP because you all need to decide where she goes after this. She can head downtown and to the shops that are there, or she can go down to the harbor, or she can head home, or even return to the library. Or she can go somewhere even more specific that you all can think of. I'm excited to see where you pick! ^.^
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Items
Legends
12390 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say the harbor...but that's far to easy. }:] Micah was VERY vague with what it is that he does...I'm going to say we follow him all sneaky-like. We'll probably get caught, but we might not! And if we do, he might like it. Wink

I just want to snuggle with him. He's so fantastic. =D

Also, you're welcome. }:]
kkdestiny
Mayor

Items
Legends
7049 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to be a stalker....quite badly...but we also left on good terms...

So I'm going to internally agree with Andi, but throw out the option to check out the shops, grab something to eat for lunch, and get back to the library to get some actual work done. We still have a grumpy Alex to try and impress~

Novelest_Ninjagirl
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
5126 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna be the one who votes Bree heads back to the library immediately. Maybe grab some lunch first, but the library is a priority. Loving the story so far!
TheSecondSeal
Visitor

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
22 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: My vote for chapter three Reply with quote

*waves* new to this whole thing, but Zan sucked me in. Very Happy

I'm so conflicted! I know that Bree needs to get back to work, but I want her to go exploring. Town first for lunch. She needs a good meal in her if she's going to be dancing around with mysterious cute strangers.
Author Chapter
themightyzan
Resident

Items
Legends
1150 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the places these suggestions can go. ^.^

I'll leave this open today today to see if anyone else wants to make a suggestion and then put the poll up tonight.
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
5251 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalk stalk stalk! Loving this!

Author Chapter
themightyzan
Resident

Items
Legends
1150 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll up! Glad you all are enjoying it!
kkdestiny
Mayor

Items
Legends
7049 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooo~ Very Happy Hey, you're a great writer! Of course we're loving it.

Author Chapter
themightyzan
Resident

Items
Legends
1150 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwwwww.... thanks! ^.^

Closing the poll since everyone so far has picked the same thing, and it would be almost impossible for something else to win now.

What does Bree plan to do next?
Be a creepy Stalkery McStalkerson who no one is going to want to be friends with? 0%
Go into town for lunch and to look around? 0%
Go into town for lunch then head back to the library? 100%
Immediately head back to the library? 0%

New chapter should be up soon!
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Storygames: Fantasy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: