Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Rise of Shadows chapter 5 - Corporate.
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Rise of Shadows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Rise of Shadows chapter 5 - Corporate.  

Chapter 5 - Corporate.

{removed}
DELETED

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject:  

DELETED
CunningFox

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject:  

Another coolchapter. I like these corporation people. I think he should try and convince Cole to send rescue squads over to his ship. Mmm. Can’t think of anything else just now.
DELETED

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject:  

DELETED
Lilith

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject:  

Blow the ship!

(Sorry I kinda been a little scattered lately and forgot all about reading this.)
algu95

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject:  

A few minutes ago, i came thinking of this as a possible SGotM, but sadly, another SG has entered the fray. Tales of Arathenia deservews the place XD

DP? I don't know!
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject:  

Tales of Arathenia may well be a good choice, but unfortunately it isn't elegible for SGotM yet Algu, as it's not in the main forums.
Crossfire

Location: Somewhere between here and not-here, now and not-now... in the half-light, the borderlands, between.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject:  

Well, before we make a decision, could we please have a quick overview of the protagonist's assets? We would like to be informed, and apart from the party itself, it seems a little confused... Of course, I'm far too lazy to actually look, and it should be somewhere far more obvious if the average Joerathixinyon Citizen such as myself cannot find it within three pulses of Idearium energy from a standard crystal or less! :o
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject:  

Crossfire wrote: Well, before we make a decision, could we please have a quick overview of the protagonist's assets? We would like to be informed, and apart from the party itself, it seems a little confused... :o

Ah, well here you come across a technique I like to call 'keeping it fuzzy until I need it.'

Basically put, apart from the items already exposed in the plot (such as the knife, gun, light cube and the camo device) the 'unspecified' items are there in case I suddenly need him to have something later on. ;)

Having said that, nothing he's carrying is likely to be anything uber. He went through his pockets a little while ago, if I remember correctly.

Suggestions accepted though.
Crossfire

Location: Somewhere between here and not-here, now and not-now... in the half-light, the borderlands, between.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject:  

A dozen lighters, some adhesive devices, a large, air-tight unfoldable dodecahedron, a portable oxygen tank and a length of cloth. There's a very good reason why the protagonist has all of these and it will be explained in Chapter n+1, n being the value of the number of the latest chapter. :P In short, tie it to a fuel tank, now useless, then launch it out of an operational launch tube, hopefully not guarded by the enemy, of an approrpriate variety, to the ship, assuming it fires on them.

It'll do enough damage to destroy them, if aimed correctly, because they use highly explosive and volatile fuel now. They might be able to take down a small amount of people if they're circumspect and use good tactics, which means keeping themselves calm and their wits collected. Admittedly, your ship is still under the control of the enemy, but that's when guerrilla warfare comes in: pick off the enemy, one by one. Admittedly, you'll be low on fuel, but you're nearby a planet... You'll have just enough to refuel, and then you'll be fine... Right?

I know there is probably something incredibly and horribly wrong with that suggestion, and I anticipate eagerly your reply to it. :o
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject:  

I'm sorry Cross! I got all confused and thought this was the Avarice thread!

I have to go now, but I'll answer this correctly later...
Crossfire

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject:  

*sighs* Ah well. Looks like there's another SG I need to read... :o I was sure I didn't remember the light cube anyway... ;)
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject:  

Right, now I have my head on straight...

Max doesn't have much of anything with him, other than what you would carry around on a normal day on a spaceship.

His handgun is being 'held' by the Corporates, for security purposes. The rest of the rescued crew, and no, we don't know if they got everyone, is secure in another part of the corp. ship.
Crossfire

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject:  

Ouch. No weaponry, no supplies... He doesn't really have much hope of defeating an enemy, does he? The nearby surrounds will not help him very much, so what should he do? I really don't believe he has many options but to sit tight and wait, hoping that the approaching ship isn't hostile. If it is, he's stuffed, because he won't have long before the ship is completely taken over.

I suppose he could overpower some of the Corporate guards, but it is unlikely... Alright, I suppose that the best option is to while the time away talking with the Director in an attempt that may or may not be successful, but probably not, to make her listen to reason.

The two of them seem to be fairly diametrically opposed idealistically, coming from two warring sides with directly conflicting interests and all, so they probably won't come to a solution soon, if at all, but at the very least her office is fairly secure, and the Captain will not be in an unfamiliar situation in there... It might even be fun! Get rid of some stress in a good ole' fashioned shouting match. :P

In concisely, elegantly short and utter summarisation, I go for the option of "Argue pointlessly and loudly in the Director's office with her until something interesting happens.". ;)
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject:  

Any other suggestions? I'll be putting a poll up shortly. So far we have:

Convince Cole to send over rescue squads.

Destroy the Fleet ship.

Sit tight and see what Cole does!
NeverNeverGirl

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject:  

could cole double cross ? that would be interesting...
DELETED

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject:  

DELETED
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject:  

Very well then. Poll is up. Engage the Hyperdrive of voting.
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject:  

Wooo yeah! One vote, now we're cooking.

:poke:

Any others?
CunningFox

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject:  

Poor chinaren, no one loves you. I voted and tied it. :lol:
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject:  

Anyone want to break the tie?
DELETED

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject:  

DELETED
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject:  

It's strange actually. My skiffy stories never get many followers. There are two on hold somewhere, which is partly because of this, though the people that read them say they are ok.

I am, of course, very thankful that anyone reads my ramblings, so please don't think I'm being sulky! Your input is valuble to me. Heh, now I feel like one of those recorded messages:

"We value your reading here at Chinren Inc. and hope you can remain patient whilst we deal with your call. There are four hundred and thirty two people in front of you..."

[/drunken rambling]
Crossfire

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject:  

It's a three-way tie now. The thing is, Rise of Shadows doesn't really have a huge presence in IF- you don't see it very frequently as you browse, if at all, it's not a regularly posted on story and so, unless you have some reason to do so, you don't generally find it.

In order to actually get some traffic here, you must have some publicity, y'know?

The only reason why I remembered to post here again and vote is because I look regularly through my posts to see whether my mental anguish has made me look stranger than I wish to seem...

I don't really think science fiction is as much your thing as the sort of fantasy that you churn out. I could be wrong, but this is the resonance that I pick up, regardless of it being definitively the right one.

Regardless... Solar Hyperdrive Activated! Sunspot Activity Renders It Ineffective! Switching to Ion Drive and Solid Fuel Thrusters! *moves very, very slowly towards the voting ballot station, some mere few thousand light years away*

One last point... *shock* *shock* Chinaren Double Post! Chinaren Double Post! Alert! Alert! :o :o

[/mysterious semi-arcane mystical ramblings]
D-Lotus

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject:  

A good bureaucratic-filled chappy.
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject:  

Very well then, Ask Cole to destroy the Dragnet won in the end. 8 votes too, not bad for this SGame.

I'll be working on this one in Mongolia*, should I get the chance.

*There's something you don't say everyday.
CunningFox

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject:  

Hows the next chapter coming on China?
Crossfire

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject:  

*sulks* So... close... Ah well. Let's see what happens! I both look forward to and eagerly anticipate the next chapter, chinaren.

*holds an imaginary breath* :o

Storygames Home -> Rise of Shadows
Page 1 of 1