Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

SparkleSteps - Chapter Fourteen - POLL is up!
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> SparkleSteps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tikanni Corazon

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: SparkleSteps - Chapter Fourteen - POLL is up!  

Thought I was going to be late, but just about managed it! ;) Thanks for reading, I hope I don't disappoint!

SparkleSteps - Chapter Fourteen

Milo remained, squatted down, hiding in the bushes for a moment. He watched the woman writhing on the floor, and listening to her cries of agony. She pulsated with a white glow, that filled the clearing lighting up the dark of the night. The distance between them was too far for him to be able to see if he recognised her or not, and he didn't dare set foot inside the clearing, in case it was a trap. He needed help, and he cursed himself for having been stupid enough to go it alone.

'Why didn't I wait for Uncle Jem?' he asked himself, with a slight bitterness. 'I always have to go charging in, without thinking of the consequences of my actions. Well, not this time.'

He was just about to turn and quietly sneak off, back to the house, when the woman let out another pitiful howl of pain, and he could hear her sobbing afterwards, and mumbling something indecipherable. Despite his worry that it was a trap, his heart went out to her. He turned back, and sat down to think again. Suddenly he frowned, and pulled the two pendants from out of his shirt, one Chanah's whistle, and the other the Al'loren'etta. If there was one person he could reach without moving from his post, it was Chanah. But which to use? Would the whistle also alert the Veeka and his minions to his presence, considering that the Veeka had once been an elven mage. He dropped the whistle, and let it dangle around his neck, and made his choice. The Al'loren'etta would locate Chanah, and let him know if she still remained close by, and then he could decide if it was worth taking the risk to use the whistle.

He allowed it to hang down, then placed his fingers to open it when he gave the command, as to who he needed to find. He repeated her name in his head over and over...

'Chanah, find Chanah, find Chanah, find Chanah, find... elves!'

The last word popped into his head, just as he opened the locket, and he had no idea why. It was almost instinctual, like...like the Al'loren'etta was telling him what he should be looking for.

As it opened, the Al'loren'etta's light shone forth in a bright beam, pointing dead straight ahead of him. As Milo looked at it, he could see that the beam was made up of many narrow threads of light, all swirling together. Suddenly, a few of the threads crackled and hissed, as they began to seperate from the main colomn, and branch out in different directions. One thread pointed directly back where Milo had come from, so he knew that one was Mot. Another was in a similar direction, but more to the east, and two others were directed into the bowels of the forest. The latter two, he decided, must indicate the whereabouts of Sorren and the Veeka, which left the other to be Chanah.

Milo started, as a fifth thread of light suddenly broke away from the mother beam, with an extra loud pop. As he watched, he saw the thread unweave itself, into three sections, resembling almost hair-like strands. These new finer threads were very insubstancial, sometimes seeming to disappear completely.One of the three twisted, to point in the same direction as that of the threads belonging to the Veeka, and his slave. But the other two aimed themselves directly at the maiden, lying on the ground in the clearing.

"She's an elf too..." Milo whispered to himself, as he tried to make his eyes see further, so as to get a better look at the woman. But the distance was too far for him to make out any of her features, though he could hear her continual sobs of pain. As he listened more closely, he found that the moans were intersparsed with speech. But, though he knew the words came from the mouth of the elven maid, it sounded much like two seperate people, having a conversation.

'There are even slight differences to the voices,' he thought to himself, 'One is of a slightly higher pitch, and sounds younger.' Though her agony was painful to witness, he decided to sit and listen to her words for a moment, to see if he could work out what she was doing there.

"It hurts..." the younger voice, the weaker and more fragile of the two spoke first. '...When will it ever stop?...I've never known pain like it before.'

"I know, I know..." the second voice, though still feeble, was notably stronger than the first, and more calm and collected. "...I feel it all too...But we mustn't let the pain dull our thoughts, my darling...We must be prepared... for when we are whole again, we have a job to do..."

"It didn't hurt this way at first...Why must it be so now?" The end of the sentence was punctuated by another scream, followed by desperate weeping. "...I cannot do this...I need it to stop!"

"Hush...hush...You can do this...you're strong, and you're brave, and you can't let this pain take that away from you...It hurts because the process is taking longer...had we all come together immediately, we wouldn't have gone through this for such an extended period of time..." The voice was so comforting, that Milo felt as if a pair of arms had slipped around his person, and held him to a loving heart. "...You can do this...we can do this...the third will be here soon, I promise..."

'The third?' thought Milo, looking at the wayward strand of light, pointing in the direction of the enemy, and he knew, the comforting voice was wrong. The third, whatever it might be wasn't going to be with them soon. The Veeka had found a new prisoner, though for what reason, Milo couldn't fathom. He decided he would have to get closer, and ask her about what was going on, if he was to have any chance of understanding. The woman continued to mumble incoherantly, as Milo exited the bushes surrounding the clearing, and began to walk towards her. He didn't speak, attempting to get a better look at her before he made himself known.

As he drew closer, it became clear to Milo, that the elf was entirely unclothed, and this made him stop in his tracks. Embarassed, he looked down at the ground, and wondered how to proceed, not knowing how much she would appreciate him seeing her in such a way. He wanted more than anything to return to the bushes, and head back home, especially since he was having a near uncontrollable urge to take a second look. But this woman was obviously the cause of the light, that had near killed him and his loved ones, and he knew that something that created such an effect must have some importance. She was also very much in distress, and vulnerable in her present condition. He couldn't just leave her there.

The distance between them was considerably less than it was before, so he decided he would stay where he was, and attempt to talk with her. He sat down, with his back to her, making it slightly easier to resist the temptation to peek.

"He...hello?" he began, not knowing what else to say. He heard a gasp behind him, and the crying and moaning momentarily stopped. "Are you okay?" he continued on, "Can I do anything to help you?"

"Who are you?" The second, calmer of the two voices, sounded wary, though still very much in control. "Show yourself!"

"But..." replied Milo, horrified at the idea. "Your clothes..."

"I don't care if the eyes of humans see my true form, I wish to see your face...Show..." Her demand was cut of by another jolt of pain running through her body, making her cry out.

"Please, tell me what is wrong," Milo asked, resisting the urge to cover his ears. "What is it that hurts you so?"

This time, the other voice answered, it's innocent tones unable to hide the discomfort she was in.

"We're still split...we need the third to join with us, to make us whole...It's been too long between the unions...and the longer it goes on, the worse the pain will become..."

"Who are you, and who is the third?"

"We asked you first," the calm voice broke in. "Let us see you, boy."

"It's okay, child..."

With a deep breath, Milo got to his feet, and turned to face the elven woman. She lay where she had been before, still taking laboured breaths, and grimacing every so often. But her gaze was directed at the boy before her. Her arms were folded across her chest, to save him the humiliaton of not knowing where to look, and she had positioned herself to hide her modesty.

"Come closer, child," came the younger, more innocent tones. Milo did as she asked, trying to keep his gaze focused on the ground in front of him, though he couldn't help but glance at the creamy, flawless skin of her shapely body, the perfection of which seemed more enhanced by the glow ommitting from her.

He stopped some ten feet away from her, and stood looking down, fiddling with a loose thread, on the hem of his tshirt. She didn't say anything, though he could feel her eyes regarding him intensely. Suddenly, she spoke one word. One word which made Milo forget his embarassment, and his head flew up to look directly at her own.

"Milo!" The younger voice exclaimed.

But what he found when he looked up shocked him even more. The almond-shaped elven eyes, the flowing golden locks, the indescribable beauty that rediated from her person, were all too familiar.

"Tianna!"

But she ignored his surprised acknowledgment of her identity. Instead, the second voice joined in with her.

"It is! It's our Milo!" They spoke as if they knew him, and Milo grew confused. Tianna's face broke into a gentle smile, making her look all the more beautiful. "Of course, he doesn't know us... Milo it's us..."

Milo listened to the voices, suddenly finding a great familiarity in them, and then it clicked.

"Rosie! Violet!"

The revelation was too much for Milo to take, and he collapsed heavily to the floor, and sat there, trying to take it all in. He looked up to see Tianna trying to sit up. That is why Rosie had seemed so familiar that day they'd first met her, and how she knew so much about the history of the elves. Looking at Tianna now, though she was now younger and had taken on the ethereal look of her kind, he could still see the old woman's features behind it all. He tried to speak, tried to ask how, and why, and what, but he could only sit there, mouth gaping like a fish.

Tianna finally managed to pull herself into a sitting position, and a long, elegant finger towards one of the pools, scattered around the clearing. A gust of power, errupted from the end of it, and Milo watched in astonishment, as a tendril of water snaked its way into the air, and began to swirl around, onto itself, over and over, forming a shape, though he couldn't tell what it was. When it was done, he found a simple sheath dress before him. Her energy spent, Tianna fell forward, managing to prop herself up on her elbows.

"Please," she said, with Rosie's voice, "Please...can you bring it to me..."

Milo got shakily to his feet, and stumbled over to the dress, which still floated in the air, above the pool. He reached out to touch it, expecting his fingers to run straight through it, what with it being made of water. But her was surprised to find that the 'water' had become a solid piece of silky fabric, smooth to the touch, and falling in elegant folds, reminding him very much of it's previous form. He took it over to Tianna, and handed it to her. She reached out a hand to him.

"Please could you help me to get up?"

He took her hand, feeling the softness of her skin, as assisted her weakened muscles, in pulling her to her feet. In an instant, she'd slipped the dress over her head, and hidden her body from view, allowing Milo only the briefest of glimpses. She placed a hand upon his shoulder, and he helped her over to one of the pools, where she proceeded to wash her face with the cool water. Afterwards, she sat, looking down at her reflection in the pool. She reached up a hand, and traced the line of her cheekbone, down, and across her jawline.

"It has been many, many years since I looked like this..." she said softly, almost as if she were saying it to herself. "So long, in fact, that much of me had forgotten who I really was. I know that the part of youth and vitality had no memories of her former self. The segment of my soul containing the beauty, and the wisdom of magic retained much of the knowledge, but had forgotten how she knew. The third... I do not know..."

"Who is the third?"

Tianna turned to look at him, and smiled.

"Is it not obvious, given my weakened state, what part is missing? The third is my strength, my stamina, and holds the wisdom of battle. It has been so long, I fear that something has happened to him..."

"Old Bob?! Old Bob is the third?!" The knowledge suddenly hit Milo, like a ton of bricks. Tianna nodded. "But...but why is he...a he?!"

Tianna laughed, and shrugged.

"I have no idea, that is just the form that was taken. Just as I don't know why Violet kept regenerating herself, seeming like many different people over the years. Just as I don't know why Rosie was blind. That's just the way it turned out."

The two sat in silence for a moment. Finally Milo spoke.

"I think the Veeka has Old Bob..."

Tianna nodded, her mouth set in a grim line.

"I was afraid that might be the case. If it is so, we need to get him back. Out of everyone here, I am the only one who has a chance of destroying that monster, and of making amends for the foolishness of my people, for creating him in the first place. He should have been put to death, rather than given a further chance of life, in his present form." She turned her beautiful face upon Milo. "Though you have done so much already, I need you to help me once again. I need the third in order to be complete, otherwise I will not have the strength to defeat the Veeka."

"But...I'm just a kid," Milo replied. The magnitude of the task before him, made him feel very small. Tianna let out a small, but friendly chuckle, before choking back another cry of pain. She allowed the wave to pass, before replying to his comment.

"You are far more than 'just a kid', Milo. If you wish, you may go back to gather help from the others. But with every minute that passes, I grow weaker, and the chance of something terrible happening to the third becomes greater. I just pray that the Veeka doesn't know what it is that he holds prisoner." She returned to looking at her glorious reflection. "The choice is yours."

So, Milo has another choice to make...what will he do? Thanks very much for reading! I hope you enjoyed it! :)
Thunderbird

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: knowing how much she would appreciate him seeing her in such a way. He wanted more than anything to return to the bushes Yeah, I think I might feel the same way in such a scenario ;) (oops... did I just say that?)

Great chapter! I got a clear sense of all those wonderful themes that make for Fantasy at its best here, the beautiful maiden in distress, the magical forest, the spellcraft, magical items at work, all wonderful elements coalescing here.

Unfortunately, it has been a bit since I felt I had a bead on the personalities of the characters involved in this 'union' but that's just one of those problems one gets from storygaming that I'm sure will be much less problematic when I get the chance to read a final version someday.

Nevertheless, I have absolutely no complaints with how this chapter was delivered. The writing was superb, some of your best yet I think. And the plotwork was a really clever unexpected twist.

At this point, Milo has shown he's brave and capable of going off to challenge the dark forces alone - he might FEEL a bit uncomfortable with potentially facing the Veeka (I don't think he quite had that much in mind here) but the time pressure being an issue is reason enough to give it a go. I say he mans up (nothing like a beautiful naked lady asking him for a favor to inspire him) and heads off after the Veeka's presumed location. If he finds another worthy goal along the way, such as Chanah perhaps, that'd be good all the same.
Tikanni Corazon

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject:  

Just bumping this, as I would like to get a new chapter written by the beginning of next week at the latest, if possible. ;)
Amichan

Location: RL:Roseboro, NC./ IF: Retuning from a long journey in the land of OFF

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject:  

we all have been busy So i can understand your pain .. i havent even had the chance to even start writing mine that have lined up .. once things setle i would love to try and catch up on your story i heard a lot of great things about it
D-Lotus

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject:  

Quote: As it opened, the Al'loren'etta's light shone forth in a bright beam, pointing dead straight ahead of him. As Milo looked at it, he could see that the beam was made up of many narrow threads of light, all swirling together. Suddenly, a few of the threads crackled and hissed, as they began to seperate from the main colomn, and branch out in different directions. One thread pointed directly back where Milo had come from, so he knew that one was Mot. Another was in a similar direction, but more to the east, and two others were directed into the bowels of the forest. The latter two, he decided, must indicate the whereabouts of Sorren and the Veeka, which left the other to be Chanah.

Milo started, as a fifth thread of light suddenly broke away from the mother beam, with an extra loud pop. As he watched, he saw the thread unweave itself, into three sections, resembling almost hair-like strands. These new finer threads were very insubstancial, sometimes seeming to disappear completely.One of the three twisted, to point in the same direction as that of the threads belonging to the Veeka, and his slave. But the other two aimed themselves directly at the maiden, lying on the ground in the clearing.

This was the only part I had problems with in this chapter. It's a bit muddled. There's so many light-acrobatics I'm becoming a bit confused. You seem to have as much of a penchant for beams and threads of light as TB's Enlil. Between the both of you I'll end up blind. :cool:

Try to re-write this section so as to make it more clear and crisp.

As for the rest, it was brilliant! I really enjoyed it, even Milo's exaggerated sense of modesty. The revelation of Tianna's triple essence was unexpected and delightful. The creation of a water-dress was sublime. Good job!

As for the DP, I think we should search for Channah to help us in our mission. I know this has been stated many times, but I don't think Milo can handle the Veeka on his own. Although there have been some signs that Milo has grown and matured, he doesn't have much combat experience.
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks guys! :)

@TB - Thanks so much for your comments! You're always so positive, and constructive with any niggles that you may have, and your participation in this tale is always much appreciated!

@Kang - I means alot that you would like to take the time to read through the whole thing, as has reached that length now, where it seems a little foreboding. Thankyou!

@D - I actually wasn't happy with this part myself, truth be told. I think you're absolutely right, it needs a bit of tweaking, so that it flows better. If I have time, I'll have a go at re-writing it over the next few days. If I don't it will have to wait until a later date, but thanks for pointing it out. And I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of the chapter!

Thanks again! As always, it means alot! :)
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject:  

I'll be putting the poll up in the next day or two, if anyone else has anything to add. ;)
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: I Think.....  

Another wonderful chapter! So glad I got here before polling! *Dances* Oki, now on we go!

I was a bit confused about the lights myself, but it only took a re-read to get it. It's is a pritty scene. Milo's over-reaction to the nekidness is all too adorable! Makes me wanna squeeze him! *Sigh* But so many pritty girl elves,a nd ony one injured and one evil male, both of whom get so little screen time. :? Sorry, it's the fanboy in me. The dress making was kool, and I like how Milo expected to go right through it. It gives me a real solid(Or fluid as it were) mental image of what it looks like.

*Fanboys again* As for the DP, GO GET JEM! I know time is of the essance, but if Milo fails and gets captured, that'll just take even MORE time for Jem and Winnie to come rescue both Moli and Bob! *Mumbles*That, and Jem gets too little screen time*Mutters* Anyway, I really think, back to the house, whistle for Chanah when we get there, and fetch Jem(Maybe Winnie) from the house. Convince Jem it';s time to MOVE, and go to the resue! With the spear this time!

Great chappy, can't wait for more!
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks Pope!

*giggles* What are you going to do when this SG finishes in a month or so, and you can't get your Jem fix? :lol: Guess we'll have to attempt to give him as much 'screen time' as possibly over the next 2-3 chappies. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, and I'm really glad you liked it! Your readership is much appreciated!
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject:  

Poll is up guys! Thankyou for your comments and suggestions, and hopefully, I can get a new chapter up by Monday, ;)
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject:  

Poll is now closed. Thanks everyone who voted! :)

Unfortunately, due to RL issues, I'm going to be putting this on hold for just a little while. Not for long, just until I feel I can do the next chapter justice.

Thanks again!
Andolyn

Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject:  

DEAR. LORD. TIKA!!! i'm in FREAKING LOVE with this!! write more!! do it NOW!! ((not that i'd be demanding or anything. :whist: ))
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject:  

Hmmm... surely I shouldn't feel a strange pride at being bad juju to your insomnia... and yet I do. *giggles* Thankyou Andi, for reading through the whole thing, and I don't think it's weird having a crush on Jem...who wouldn't. ;)

I truly won't be too long with the next chapter. I'm just taking a few days to get myself sorted out, and then I'll be onto it. Hopefully won't be any later than midway through next week.

Thanks again! Great to have a new reader for SS! :)
Thunderbird

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject:  

Looking forward to that Tika!
Lilith

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject:  

Tikanni Corazon wrote: Hmmm... surely I shouldn't feel a strange pride at being bad juju to your insomnia... and yet I do. *giggles* Thankyou Andi, for reading through the whole thing, and I don't think it's weird having a crush on Jem...who wouldn't. ;)

I truly won't be too long with the next chapter. I'm just taking a few days to get myself sorted out, and then I'll be onto it. Hopefully won't be any later than midway through next week.

Thanks again! Great to have a new reader for SS! :)

Bad juju? And I thought that was me. :P Not so patiently waiting on the new chapter Tiki... *taps foot*
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject:  

*giggles* Lol Lil!

*squirts super-glue beneath the tapping foot*

Patience...it won't be too long! ;)
crazybookgal

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject:  

Yay Chapters!!!! excellant excellant Tika haha sry for not commenting in a while-password stuff being stupid. But awesome as always
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject:  

Woo! Welcome back, CBG!

And thanks, I'm glad you liked the chappie! Wont' be too long with the next one, okay. :)

Storygames Home -> SparkleSteps
Page 1 of 1