Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

SparkleSteps - Chapter Sixteen: Part 1 is up!
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> SparkleSteps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tikanni Corazon

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: SparkleSteps - Chapter Sixteen: Part 1 is up!  

Right folks, part 1 of chapter 16 is up! Hope you like it, and thanks for reading! :)

SparkleSteps ~ Chapter 16: Part 1

The options posed to them swirled around in Milo's head, yet he kept coming back to the same conclusion. Despite the risk involved, Chanah was going to have to put herself in harms way, and distract Sorren. Old Bob was essential to their ultimate survival. They had to get him out of that cage, or they stood no chance in the long run. Milo's heart pounded, as he made his decision. He turned to Chanah, who continued to patiently wait for his orders, a small, barely contained smile twitching at the corners of her mouth. He pulled the whistle out of the front of his t-shirt, and looped it back over his head. He held it out to her, and she took it in one elegant hand, and placed it around her neck.

"You will have to get his attention," Milo related, pointing at the motionless elven male, who remained standing in the same spot as before. "Sneak around behind him, and blow the whistle. If you try and lure him away, I'll try and get into a position to rescue Bob. Okay?"

It felt strange to Milo to be passing out orders to this strong, beautiful woman, who had saved his life on more than one occassion, and he wasn't entirely sure of his plan, even though he knew there was no other way to get around the situation they found themselves in. He needed her confirmation that he was doing right. He breathed a sigh of relief as Chanah nodded her ascent, and even gave him a reassuring pat on the back.

"Where should I lead him to?" she asked, scanning the clearing and the surrounding woodland thoughtfully, and Milo decided she must be making some plan of action. Her question had him stumped for a moment. She couldn't keep running forever, she would have to lead Sorren somewhere that he could be contained...or restrained. As if a lightswitch had been flicked on in his brain, Milo knew what to do.

"The trees! The trees can hold him, to keep him from both harming you and returning here. The birch tree took on three Harlimane all on it's own. Surely it or another can do the same with Sorren."

Chanah looked thoughtful.

"I will have to lead him a fair way, I imagine, though I'm not entirely sure how far...The trees here are kept in a dormant state by the Veeka's magic, so they will be unable to help."

She frowned, in thought, then reached forward and grasped Milo's head with both hands, one on either side, and closed her eyes. All at once, he felt the strangest sensation inside his head, one of being subtly searched and scanned, as if a tiny person was inside his head, rifling through his thoughts, searching for something. His eyes widened as he realised that was exactly what Chanah was doing. His mind instantly flew to the very recent memory of how he'd felt when Chanah had held him, to stop him from getting himself killed. He reached up, and tried to pull her hands away.

"Stop!" he hissed, in as strong a whisper as he felt was safe. "What do you think you're doing?!"

Suddenly, a new feeling washed through him, one of peace, tranquility, and a lack of will to protest. He stopped trying to prize her hands off, and slumped slightly. He heard Chanah murmering, soothingly.

"I just need to read your memories of your path here, so that I can find my way back to the birch tree. At least we know that she is awake and ready for action. If I meet another on the way, even better."

She paused, and Milo felt her continue to gently probe his thoughts a moment longer, before releasing him.

"Okay, got it," she said, and got to her feet, pulling him to his at the same time.

The fuzziness in his head clearing rapidly, the panic grew in him once again, at the possibility of what she may have found. He looked up to find her smiling down at him.

"Don't worry, Milo. You're not the first to find me so, and doubt you'll be the last. Why worry so much anyway? Do you think a woman is going to complain that a member of the opposite sex finds her desirable?" She flashed him a sightly smug grin, then got back down to business.

She silently positioned herself, so that she could again scan the area, planning her route to Sorren. She turned back to Milo, who was still stood where he had been, feeling a little sheepish. She huffed impatiently.

"Snap out of it, will you? I don't mind, I don't care, and right now it's getting in the way of what we're doing. If you have to dwell on it, please wait until later. Right now, we have a rescue to carry out. Get your head straight."

Milo paused a moment, then followed, and stood next to her.

"What are you going to do?" he asked, looking up at her.

She didn't return his gaze, instead frowning thoughtfully as she took in the entire area. She indicated to her right, away from Sorren.

"I'll go this way with you. We'll go around the edge of the clearing, until you're in a position to help the old man. Once you're settled, I'll continue on, and carry out my half of the plan. I'll lead Sorren away, towards the birch tree, so that she can restrain him. Or, if I meet another before then, they can do it instead. That will then leave me free to return here, and help you if you need it. If you get Bob out before I return, take the same path as I plan to, and we're sure to meet at some point."

Finally, she looked down at him.

"It will not be wise to speak when we're so close to the Veeka, so I'll say this now." She placed a hand on his shoulder. "Good luck."

And with that, they set off to carry out their plan.

~~~

Entering Winnie's room, to check on her one last time, Jem found her still sleeping. Flicking on the lightswitch, he walked over to her, and sat down on the edge of the bed, just to take a look at the bump on her head. A large, purple bruise covered her right temple, and disappeared into her hairline, but didn't seem to be swollen at all.

He stroked the golden head affectionately, hoping that she'd be okay, while he was gone. Though he'd thought about asking Mot to take care of her, he knew the elven man was in no state to do much more than what Winnie was doing now. He decided that to leave her sleeping soundly was the best thing to do, if he was to try and keep both children safe. He got to his feet, and left the room, turning off the light and closing the door behind him.

He made his way quickly across the upstairs landing and down the staircase. A small pack lay by the front door, and he shouldered it, before stepping out into the half light of the fast approaching dawn. He walked purposefully to the edge of the forest, pausing before entering to check the contents of his pack one more time. He pulled out the torch first, switched it on and off to check it was in perfect working order, and then fumbled through the rest of the contents. Matches, rope, a couple of daggers from a collection of family heirlooms, spare batteries for the torch, and a few other bits and pieces he deemed might come in useful.

Finally his hands clasped upon the one thing that had seemed incredibly important to take with him. He pulled Tianna's spear out of the pack, and gazed at it. Something about it had called to him, while he was packing everything. He looked over the short, fairly stout weapon, taking in the intricate patterns marking the gold, the odd turquoise cabochan dotted along the shaft. Then he placed it back in the bag, along with everything else, keeping just the torch. He slung the pack back over his shoulder, and entered the forest.

The darkness, as always, was absolute once he'd passed the treeline, and he flipped the torch-switch immediately. The bright shaft of light shone a path through the trees, and Jem moved swiftly, knowing that time was of the essence.

Without stopping, he began to wonder where he should be headed. At that moment, he was aiming for the clearing, where he knew the Veeka dwelled, thinking that to be the most obvious place for Milo to have gone. But was it? So many strange things had happened that night, could Milo be planning something else? Rosie, Bob...Violet. All three had gone missing. Could Milo be looking for them, rather than planning a head to head with the Veeka?

Jem's heart ached slightly, when he thought about Violet. He'd always thought that his affection for the girl had been merely due to a great respect for her spirit, her kindness, and her determination. Now though, he wasn't so sure. Since discovering that she'd gone missing, it felt like he had a heavy ball of nothingness, sat at the base of his gut, weighing down his spirits. It had never occured to him before, that his feelings for her might be more than he truly realised...

He shook his head, and turned his thoughts back to the matter at hand. For the first time, he paused in his determined stride, and pondered which way he should go. Though his plan had been to head straight for the Veeka, he remembered the light they'd seen pulsating in the east. Could that have been where Milo had gone? Even if he hadn't, Jem found that he was intrigued by the idea of discovering what the light was anyway. Or had Milo gone searching the grounds for Chanah? By going to the forest, he might be looking in the wrong place entirely.

He had a decision to make, and he needed to make it fast.

Okie doke, first dp, what does Jem choose to do now? Of course, we all know where Milo is, but Jem doesn't. And we also know what he would/might find if he chose to go elsewhere in the forest. Like the last chapter, this one will be in three parts, with three dps, which will all be combined into the next chapter. Thanks for reading! I hope it was okay, as I've been having such trouble writing lately, and finally got the urge to get some done. Might be a few spelling mistakes that I've missed to, so please point them out to me. ;) Parts 2 and 3 will hopefully follow soon! Thanks again! :)
Thunderbird

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject:  

I'll be back to read this soon... having some internet trouble.
Lilith

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject:  

Grahh! So hard to chose! If he stumbles into the Veeka's clearing and doesn't realize what Milo and Chanah are doing, he could get himself killed! But... Chanah and Milo could really use the distraction....

Um... um...

Alright! I'll say it! Offer him up as Veeka-bait! (Have Jem head towards the Veeka's ... lair.)
Andolyn

Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject:  

i'm with Lilith! i think Jem is smart enough to realize when something is going on. i dont see him as the type to just barrel in, so i think we'd be just fine sending him to the Veeka's clearing. he might even be able to help! ;)
Tikanni Corazon

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject:  

Thanks Lil and Andi, for reading and for your suggestions. As always, it's much appreciated. :)

So we have two suggestions that our dashing Uncle Jem goes straight to brave the wrath of the Veeka. Such a hero! ;)
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject:  

Yes, but he has offered himself for Winnie when the Veeka kidnapped her before. The Veeka will be more suspicious this time around. He won't know about Tianna, and since Milo has taken the Alnoretta (not sure of the spelling) - which was linked to the light, Jem may well assume that it is towards the light that Milo has gone.

So... towards where the light was, only because I think Jem will assume that's where Milo has gone.
Thunderbird

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject:  

I'm going to say that his main concern would be for Milo. So, even if Milo went for the light, ultimately, the danger is from the Veeka. And so he would start by trying to get close to and observe the dangerous one. (Though with Harlimane around, it would help if he had some keen tracking skills or magic...)

The notes on Violet... I think I may have an idea as to where THAT might be headed... but to thing... Ol' Bob'd be a part of that tossed salad... hmph.

Enjoyed the chapter as always Tikky! Glad I was able to finally find some time for it.
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject:  

Thanks Crunchy and TB for your comments and suggestions! Always much appreciated! :)

Quote: The notes on Violet... I think I may have an idea as to where THAT might be headed... but to thing... Ol' Bob'd be a part of that tossed salad... hmph.

*sniggers* Well, who knows...maybe Jem will think the same thing. Although really it's best to just push the idea to the back of your mind, to ease the discomfort. ;) He was, after all a part of Tianna before she split, so he's not really an old man. But yeah, had I planned this from the start, I likely would have made a couple of small changes. *giggles* I guess that's the drawback of just going with the flow. ;)

Thanks again to all who've commented so far! Don't forget to check out parts 2 and 3 (the latter when it's done anyway;))!
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: My thoughts  

Sooooo sorry this took so long! I'm still kicking myself over my distractions.

Great chapter, I didn't hit any stumbling blocks that I can remember, so that's a very nice thing. The flow went well, and the plan seems solid! As for Jem and his feelings. . . . .

Here is just my little niggle I have about 90% of stories out there, and nothing against yours, but WHY does there always have to be a love interst? It was going along fine without one, and now this little last minute"He may be in love" moment does not fit with the plot and had absolutely NO development. Now, if he feels a draw to her for the reason of she has a type of magic his blood finds interesting and nothing romantic, that would make sense. But a last minute romance not only doesn't fit here, but does the actual relationship no build-up, or justice. There was no lead up, and no precident. Now, if you re-wrote the story with some buits added about a glace across the room, or late night talks, that would make a BIT more sense.

Oki, done ranting. As for the DP. . . . . . Hate to ring the second bell twice, but I see him heading for the light. His focus is more narrowly focused on Milo, and with his experience as a child handler(a.k.a., very little) I see him busting down children's thought process to "Purdy light, must go look".

Great chapter, can't wait to see more!
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks so much, guys! Poll is now up! :)
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject:  

Poll closed! Thanks for voting! :)

Storygames Home -> SparkleSteps
Page 1 of 1