Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Grim Reaping Chapter Sixteen

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> Grim Reaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  

ashkent
Citizen

Topics: 18

Items
Legends
886 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Grim Reaping Chapter Sixteen Reply with quote

“Did it not occur to mention this earlier?” I asked anyone willing to give me a sensible answer.

“I just assumed that you would already know,” Gibbs said. “I thought with you coming to collect me that you must know about all of this.”

“Your collection was not as expected as you may think,” I told him. “I was advised to collect you to help with my…” The word found its way out of my mouth before I could stop it. “..plight.”

“Because of the woman and these Wee people you keep asking me about? Well I did know about them, as you can tell by the ruddy great hole in my head, but I don’t know how much of what I’ve said made any sense or –”

“Quiet,” I interjected. “Was it the woman who shot you?”

“Yes. We completed the sale of the suit order, then we went through the details of the house and worked out a deal between us, then the next thing I knew there was a gun in my mouth and then blam.”

“Blam?”

“Yes, blam. Boom. Splat. She shot me!”

“Oh, right,” I said scratching my forehead. “Sorry, I became lost off for a moment there. Something just doesn’t sit right with all this.”

And it did not sit right at all.

Gibbs had been murdered by the woman who currently seemed most likely to be the leader of the Wee, possibly the mind behind the plots of my demise, yet somehow his soul had not only been locked inside his mortal flesh but had also been prevented from appearing on The List at the time of its passing.

This was becoming more than a small insignificant event. If the Wee were able to control the way a soul acted after its body died and interfere with the workings of the Business of Life then the whole of existence could be about to face a threat greater than any before. Even the Harbingers of Destruction from the Black Realms had not gone this far.

“Two days,” I muttered under metaphorical breath.

“Excuse me?” Gibbs said, still sat behind the table.

I lifted my head and looked at his face. Now that I knew the secret I became aware of little signs that Gibbs no longer “lived” in the true sense of the word. His eyes were slightly sunken, lips chapped, skin pale. They were not obvious indications of this rarest of incidents so I saw no reason why I should have noticed it before. It would have been something of a help though. It would also have prevented me feeling like I had been duped.

“Two days,” I repeated, louder this time. “I was unaware of your death for two days.”

“Arr arra arararr arr?” Pinkie contributed from the back of the room, where he had given up on retrieving the bullet.

“You would barely know if you were dead never mind someone like him,” I replied before speaking to Gibbs. “I’m assuming you have tried to leave and failed.”

“How did you know that?” Gibbs asked wide-eyed.

“I would say I know everything, but that seems a somewhat redundant statement now. I am just guessing that you have not just been sitting there for the last two days waiting of me turning up for you?”

“I did try to leave but…well…I couldn’t. Something stopped me going past the door.”

“There are some rules that cannot be broken without the right authority. Your soul died within the restrictive walls of this building, so to this building it is bound.”

“So how long does this last for? Being stuck inside here?”

“I really have no idea.” I replied. “None of this is regular business. I should have collected over one hundred billion souls in the time I have spent with you.”

“Really? Wow. I feel oddly privileged.”

“You need not bother,” I said. “I am very rude remember.”

“Ah, yes,” Gibbs said, trying to find something interesting to look at in the corner of the ceiling. “Well, I maybe didn’t really mean that. I mean you said this isn’t normal for you…it isn’t for me either. Maybe we just got off to a bad start. There could be–”

“Do not make this sound like a beginning. Remember, you are still simply my business. You just happen to be more complex than usual. What happened after the woman shot you?”

“She left,” Gibbs said. “She said something about leaving me here for the time being then she took the suits and left.”

“Presumably to arrange my grave,” I said absently.

“Your grave? What do you need a grave for? You’re Death.”

“You have a knack for stating the obvious, Mr Gibbs. It is a long story and I really do not want to tell it just now. I cannot afford to stay here much longer without causing ripples, but likewise I am not about to leave you here. If this Wee group can do something like this, then perhaps they can do worse.”

“Arr arr arrr arr arararr arr ?”

I looked over Gibb’s head at Pinkie.

“I had already thought of that,” I said. “But I would rather there were some alternative.”

“Thought of what?” Gibbs asked, switching his gaze from Pinkie to me and back again.

“Mr Gibbs,” I said. “Much to my regret, you are going to have to come with me.”

“I thought you couldn’t take me while I was inside my body?”

“I can’t. But I can take you in the body. I have a number of places to be in a very short time, so you had better make sure you hold on tight.”

Grim Reaping

Follow Grim's travels on Twitter -

A Christmas Carol Retold – Available now.

Become a fan of the author and keep up to date with the blog at
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Grim Reaping All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: