Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Heavy Metal - Chapter 5.1: Foresight, Part 1

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Skiffiville - Science Fiction and Experimental SGs -> Heavy Metal
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
37957 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Heavy Metal - Chapter 5.1: Foresight, Part 1 Reply with quote

Heavy Metal
Chapter 5.1
Foresight, Part 1

1 year ago

“Awaken, foremost descendant of Aaron.”

The gentle, hollow, distant voice sung out in the darkness. Despite its peaceful nature, it pierced through the indulgent tug of drowsiness that beset the man who lay in slumber. His sky blue eyes flickered open. His heart picked up a beat, pulsing charged blood through his veins to shred the last vestiges of lethargy from his limbs.

Sitting up in his bed, a twin sized mattress that had been slapped down onto the cold stone floor of this rented basement, he backed against the equally stone wall behind him. His gaze flickered and darted from one corner of the shadowy room to the next. Only a sliver of moonlight broke through his diminutive window, casting a lone silver beam down towards the base of the mattress.

“Who’s there?” he asked in a forced whisper. When no answer was immediately forthcoming, he reached to the side of the bed. Where his hands could have found the plug-in reading lamp to provide some light to his dark domain, instead, he reached first for that which provided yet more comfort still, his Bible, and the finely crafted wooden cross that he always placed upon it. In one hand, then, he clutched the holy text, while the other held forth the symbol of his faith.

“Be not alarmed, man of God.”

There it was again, that voice, so soothing, so seductive and confident.

Thomas Forsythe was about to ask, once more, whom had intruded upon his premises, when suddenly, an apparition shimmered into view before him, perfectly bisected by the piercing moonbeam. It shone through the image, a ghostly, spiritual manifestation.

A beautiful azure glow surrounded the figure, which appeared to be a genderless human, garbed in flowing ribbons for clothing. They swayed in an unseen breeze, making the apparition appear to be floating in some underwater environment. Its face was more beautiful than any he had seen and its large, luminous eyes gazed down at him with what appeared to be loving admiration mixed with stern consternation.

“Who… who are you?”

“I am an angel, descendant of Aaron. I have been sent by God to bring you tidings of what is to come, to enlist you in his struggles, as you have prayed for.” The answer was simple and direct, leaving little to doubt.

“Certainly I am not worthy,” Thomas plead, “I have sinned.”

“All men have sinned, Thomas,” the angel explained. “Few have such faith as yourself. And none but you can lay claim to the blessed bloodline. You are the foremost descendant of Aaron. It is most fortuitous that you have embraced such faith. For these reasons, God has chosen you.”

“Chosen me? Chosen me for what? Aaron? He was a Hebrew! I know no such connection in my family lineage…”

“Your knowledge of your ancestry is not prerequisite for its reality,” the angel explained, “nevertheless, it is true. First born of the first born of the first born and so on through the generations from Aaron to thee. Let the blood of the first Priest of God be the last preeminent Priest of God, He has ordained. As he has said it so, we shall make it so.”

“I would have thought such a man to be an Israelite,” Thomas interjected.

“Were but the people of God still following his path,” the angel expressed with great sorrow.

Thomas nodded, some understanding slipping in through his consciousness. Long had he suspected something had gone wrong among the Hebrew faith, perhaps in their rejection of the Son as their Messiah?

The angel nodded as if hearing his thoughts. “The Red Shield among them that has long guided their actions, and the actions of the whole of the world, has turned away from our Lord Yahweh. They guide all men to their own ends. God shall bring this to an end soon. A war is afoot, both in the Heavens and on Earth. God has sent me to make you his spear, to be thrust into the hearts of the enemies of Heaven.”

A sense of pride and humility washed through Thomas, unsure how to gracefully accept such a role. Somehow, he’d known, all along, that his life would become something like this. No matter how strongly his skeptical mind might have argued that such destiny was impossible for a mere mortal as himself, he’d known, underneath it all, all along.

“I’m ready,” he nodded in a faithful reverence.

For hours, thereafter, the basement apartment that the impoverished pastor, Thomas Forsythe, had rented with his last dime, was filled with a glorious holy light. A single beam escaped from his minute domain, striking back towards the sky to caress the moon in return for the light it sent.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Heavy Metal All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: