Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
IFQ Issue #43

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Info Street - FAQs and Guides to the City -> IFquirer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: IFQ Issue #43 Reply with quote

Bringing you the News The Old fashioned Way

Events Aplenty!
These last two month have been busy with both the election reaching it's close and the IFys bringing a bout of activity unseen in quite some time here in out illustrious city. What is the results of all this activity? I wonder. . . . .

Electoral Finals

Story by PopeAlessandrosXVIII

The election has finally come to an end. After a hard run between the Shunshine Princess is the Master of Darkness, one has finally come out victorious. The light has outshone the dark with 9 out of 14 votes, Andolyn has come out on top. Congratz rained all around, and soon after taking office, Her Mayorness took on a Vice mayor. Tikanni Corazon now sits at the Mayor's right hand, deftly assisting her in her Mayorly duties.

A Word From Our Mayor

Passing through IF Stein spotted our esteemed Mayor passing through the Fantasy Forest, where she is resputed to spend much of her time, and decided to grab a word from her about her victory. Afterwards he returned to the agency. After reading through it I decided to retitle it because of the Mayor herself's view of the election. So, here we go.

Alright, here goes. I'm not really sure what to say here, exactly, because I was asked to give a "victory speech". I do not really think that is what is needed here, however.

Winning the election to become mayoress was not a victory, as such. It really wasn't important to me whether I had the title or not. It was bigger than one person defeating another. It was a step in a bigger process.

MisterBiz, the other candidate, shares my passion for the City, and both of us would have worked together with our council for the betterment of the City no matter which of us won. He has kept up his end of that bargain, and for that, I am forever grateful to him both as a co-worker for the city and as my friend.

I do thank the citizens of the City of If for stepping up and showing your faith in my abilities to lead with your votes and for trusting me with your City. I will do my best to honor your faith.

I also want to thank my council. Sagittaeri, who is working side by side with Key to update the City on a technical level, Lilith, who has done a masterful job of handling the Ifys, MisterBiz, who has been a little bit of everywhere helping me any way I need him, and Tikanni, who has been my right hand since I took on the role of Mayoress. If we were to stop now, I would call this term a magnificent success already thanks to the hard work of these people, but we still have 5 more months, and I hope the best has yet to come. Thank you for everything you have done and are doing.

You have already seen some of the ideas with which I came into this term, but there are more to come, and more already working in the background. This already promises to be a revolutionary term, and I hope that I, as mayoress, am able to meet and surpass your expectations as a City.

Ah, such an impassioned speech. I'm sure we can expect great thing for this Mayor. New to the post, I'm sure we will all come together to support her in this brave new endeavor. Let's hear it for Andolyn!

Linear Lane Looky Loo
Story by Pockey

Linear Lane

Blades Edge - Kalanna Rai

Legacy – PaperSwan

The Lost - Mr. Biz

Dark Linear

Getting Lucky - Mr. Biz

The Hell Half - Mr. Biz

Come support the muse in Linear Lane today!

IFys Finale!

The dust has settled, the voting booths are down, and at last we have our best-of-the-best sporting new shiny golden badges. Each an every win is dually earned by our fellow IFians who put their heart and souls into their fine works. This devotion and hard work has show through to the readers and now we give recognition here at the IF Quirer to these fine IFians!

Mr. Biz

Winner of -

Best General Fiction Supporting Character

Best Horror Author

Best Horror SG

Best Horror Plot

Best Horror Character

Best Horror Supporting Character

Tikanni Corazon

Winner of -

Best Fantasy Author

Best Fantasy Plot

Best Fantasy Supporting Character

Best Critic

Best SG Player

Best RolePlay

Kalanna Rai

Winner of -

Best Fantasy Character

SuperAlpha96

Winner of -

Best General Fiction SG

Best General Fiction Author

Best General Fiction Plot

Best General Fiction Character

sagittaeri

Winner of -

Best Horror Plot

Emperor

Winner of -

Best Scifi/Experimental SG

Best Scifi/Experimental Plot

Syranore

Winner of -

Best Scifi/Experimental Author

Best Scifi/Experimental Character

Best Scifi/Experimental Supporting Character

Andolyn

Winner of -

Best Fantasy SG

Best Fight Scene

Best Poet

Lilith

Winner of -

Best SG Player

Best Linear Tale

Best RolePlay

And there you have it my fellow IFians. Winners of this year's IFys have received the recognition they so justly deserve, along with some shiny new badges to let the rest of us know just how awesome they really are. Until next year, that's all we have on the 2011 – 2012 IFys!!!!

The Children of Leyond – Kalanna Rai – 5
Eden's Call – Lilith – 4
Escaping Eternia – misterbiz – 3
The Other Side – Tikanni Corazon – 3
Beyond Good and Evil – Cyberworm – 2

Climbing up 2 spaces into first place this month is The Children of Leyond by IF's own stunning dragon, Kalanna Rai. After a small tumble Lilith's Eden's Call comes to rest in second place. With a small hop up the food chain, Escaping Eternia by misterbiz works it's way into third place. In fourth place we find the new and already popular The Other Side by our beloved Tikanni Corazon moving up the list. Out of nowhere Cyberworm makes a comeback with Beyond Good and Evil sidling up into fifth place.

Top 5 Peek

The Children of Leyond – This tale of rights and succession is full of off the wall twists as well as a good level of humor. The characters easily capture the heart, and with the ever evolving plot this is sure to be a best seller some day. The decision has been made, now how will our new successor handle something he isn't ready for, alongside a change no one ever saw coming?

Eden's Call – After battle clean-up has begun, and our poor hero and heroin are riding this roller coaster of myth and magic the best they can. From the modern world to the underground realm of magic these two normal people are starting to understand just how extraordinary this world they've never known existed behind their own is, and the adventure, had just begun.

Escaping Eternia – At last the evil spawn, what seems to be a major player in the events leading to Eternia's fall, has once again shown his face. The power behind his cations are enough to make a grown man wet himself. In this zombie filled town, will our hero and his friends survive? Or will the evil behind it all consume them whole. . . . .

The Other Side – The other side brings us back to a beloved place this author had let us see once before. The same old kid who've already captured our hearts now have a new adventure to undertake, but that's only if they can get over the more mundane and every day happenings such as “overprotective big brother syndrome”. Where fantasy and modern day come together in wonderful harmony, the tales of Allington Estate, those who inhabit it, and the mysterious world beyond the forest, has once again taken flight.

Beyond Good and Evil – After a long absence this tale takes life once again. This editor takes no shame n saying he's still working to get caught up, however from what I've read this is a truly intriguing tale and will have more for you when he finishes reading.

All of these tales are dually recommended by this editor.

Interfable: A History

Here we are once again to learn more about the history of this City that many of us now consider a second home. Our King, Key, fought long and hard to try and make his dream a reality and today we will take a look at the final bit of wilderness he had to pass through before breaking ground on our now illustrious City. After the first two wilderness, was one last hurdle. . . .

While doing his research the King came across a new concept, The AI approach. From it's description is seemed to be almost exactly what he was looking for. However after some in depth research he was sorely disappointed. Yes it was an interactive way of building stories with the readers in charge of the flow, but over all the story told were, for lack of a better word, boring. For the most part, the stories themselves had a disjointed feel with things not matching up quite right. In incoherent nature of these games were very disheartening, and there was only one example that really had much interest for the king.

A project called “Facade” was a 3D interactive program which allowed the player to interact in a 3D environment, and with their choices influence the outcome of the story playing before their eyes. The main characters were a couple in an apartment and the player was their friend. As the story goes along interactions with the AI changed the flow of the story. But in the end it too was not quite what the King wanted. The project was limited to two AI and one player, as well as only one location. Hard to go on en epic adventure with several companions that way. Also, they story itself is already written, with only so many ending to reach. So this wilderness to was passed through, with the King taking what he needed from it.

With a longing for a more socially interactive way of storying, for a more human approach, the king had to move on. After four years conferring with allies who wished for the same thing he did, the King cam up with an outline for what he wanted. This outline is what we today consider the standard way Storygames are run, in 4 simple steps. We all know this as Chapter, Discussion/Suggestions, Polling, New Chapter. The first chapter ends with a Decision Point, people put forward their Ideas and Suggestions, the author makes a Poll that consists of the suggestions made which are then voted on, and the winning idea from the poll served as the Basis for the next chapter. To this day, this first outline is the central format behind most Storygames.

Looking over this outline the King was delighted by the flexibility and heavily story oriented kind of activity it represented. It had a Strong Narrative nature which gave it a smoother and more coherent feel while still maintaining it's interactivity. The Social Activity brought up by coming up with and defending your suggestions, as well as interactions between players giving the whole experience a more social feel. And unlike all other researched forms, the requirements of the author having to write each chapter as the story progresses gave a level of Flexibility as far as the tale went. Also, due to the players all working together over the players in the Storygame as a whole, players could come and go as they please. One could sit out several rounds and just watch as the story unfolds, only jumping in when you like, and leaving the tale be at ones own leisure. It was becoming everything the King could hope for.

Join us next time as we revisit the Dragons and Treasures and see how out King began setting the foundations of this amazing world, The City of IF.

Poetry Corner

This month's poetry corner is hosted by the “Word” competition. All poem presented will be from said competition. Feel free to join the competition today!

crazybookgal - Inner Warfare

Wars are waged
With artillery and guns
But there are sharper swords
That slaughter our sons

We all have the personal
Demons we fight
The decisions we make
About wrong and right

Pressure is evident
As you climb to the peaks
If we do not give in
We are classified as freaks

Everything seems fine
But it’s all a disguise
You can see the truth
If only you look into her eyes

Ends come over the counter
These days
There are so many chances
Let me be strong, he prays

Desperate to be a victor
Farther into the war a person delves
But how can we win
If we are battling ourselves?

The exterior does not
Always reveal what is within
So suddenly it seems
It is the end-Fin

Some of the worst wars
Are the ones that we hide
The battles we fight
On the inside

PopeAlessandrosXVIII - Patriot

Suit up, ready for the fight
my love behind me
my goal before me
I go forward towards the enemy
my weapon in hand
my heart set firm
I will defend the ones I love
my only home
my love of freedom
With gun, or sword, or explosive fire
my faith wil be strong
my hand will remain firm
Family calls, tellng me they belive in me
my place in this war
my resolve to do right
I fight this war, so you don't have to
my head held high
my feet stand firm
You spit on me, although I'd give
my life for you
my joy for you
I am a soldier, scared by horrors so you may be innocent
my soul torn and broken
my tears dried up from over use
On my honor, and my life, I will go on
my love left alone
my family left crying
Can you ever understand why I do what I do
my loyalty to you
my love for our freedoms
Or will you always shun me, and leave me alone
my gun my salvation
my comrades my home
Will you ever understand how I hate this war, but know it's right
my gift to you
my burden to bare
Will you ever understand, that I am a Patriot

Mr. Biz - Your Light

You and I coexist as well,
As a twisted yin and yang.
I reside in the dark because
It's a safer place to stay.
Yet you try to bring in your light,
And shine my safety away.
You come and search all the dark depths
But I hide to your dismay.
You promise that you will save me
Because I refuse to pray.

You bring your light and walk about,
Try to purify my soul.
You try to lure me from my dark
And promise you'll make me whole.
But you won't pull me from the black,
I'll just stay and watch you stroll
As you try to lure me with talks
Of pure happiness and gold.
But with your promise comes a price,
And I will not pay your toll.

You walk straight out of my domain,
Defeated and all alone.
Where you will forever reside
Until you're placed under stone.
You'll stare into my precious dark
As you mumble and you moan.
You say that you really don't care,
I know that you envy my throne,
Because you know that my darkness
Came from the first light you shone

Thunderbird - Lovers

Tiger fights Dragon
in the dead of the night
He pounces, she thrashes
They grapple in tight

They dig in their claws
He jabs with his teeth
She rolls him across
and breathes in deep

Upwards he thrusts
To send her higher
Her wings she trusts
As she screams her fire

She clamps on with talons
Lifts him into the sky
He relies on his talents
To hang on as they fly

She screams in defiance
As he lets loose a roar
Her spine aligns in compliance
As he gouges her more

He flips her around
and chomps on her chest
she falls to the ground
at his violent behest

Wildly he scratches
and digs in his claws
Across his back she matches
Red blood she draws

She furiously screams
Her flame billows out
Her glowing eyes beam
In this final bout

He roars in his rage
His blood goes to boil
released from his cage
The war becomes toil

And in one last gasp
She claws him in tight
He slays her at last
with a final bite

His jaws opens heart
His tongue tastes her blood
They finally part
And lay in the mud

For the rest of the night
Resting under her wing
Recalling the fight
It makes his soul sing.

And she in her heavenly place
deep within
delights in herself as she tastes
the real win.

General News Report

+There's a big push for more activity for the site. The Mayor and her council are working franticly to figure out a new strategy for bringing up activity following the steep falloff after the IFys.

+(Edit) Due to a vicious reprimand by a council member, this bit of news has been redacted.

+No new Storygames seem to have popped up this month but many of our SGs are up and running, keeping pace with our low level of smooth activity.

+Rover came to me this evening after a bout of lone reporting. He played me a little recording and if I understand it correctly it seems that we can see a new Spotlight competition on the horizon.

+This part too has been redacted just in case.

+Lastly, the IF Quirer is looking for some writers. Our editor slots are all filled, but it would be nice to have some articles written by our fellow IFians to add. I know you guys have things you'd like to express, so feel free to send the chief Editor any articles you'd like to add to the paper. Thank you.

And that's all for general news this last month! If you feel you have a bit of news you'd like to see in the next edition of the IF Quirer, feel free to contact the Chief Editor PopeAlessandrosXVIII at any time during the month.

Happy IF Day!

Forgive this editor but IF Days will have to canceled for this issue due to time constraints, and our usual editor for this section is having troubles getting online to do the editing.

Words O' Wisdom

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Would you like to advertise in ?

Look here for more information!
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> IFquirer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: