Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Character Experiment! Discussion Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Linear Lane - Linear stories, Critiques and writing competitions. -> Writers' Arena
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Topics: 75
Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Character Experiment! Discussion Thread Reply with quote

New writing game to help push your boundaries and thrust you out of your comfort zone! More info coming soon! Watch this space! Wink

Last edited by Tikanni Corazon on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all! Smile

Right, we're going to be using this as our work/discussion thread for the game, as long as enough people are interested.

First of all, I'm sure you're wondering what this Character Experiment might consist of, which I'm here to enlighten you on. I'm going to link you to the following:

Character Experiment Thread
Character Experiment Working Thread

These are the two threads used when this game was played a few years ago, with Smee being in charge of the game. I've had permission from him (thought it was only polite to ask, lol!) to use the idea, and I'm much intrigued as to whether we can actually finish the game. As you will see from looking at the old threads, a lot of the people disappeared and the game had to be unfortunately abandoned. So there's a little incentive for whomever decides to play to make an extra effort, lol! Wink

Okay, the basic premise. Anyone who signs up to play will invent a character. For this character they will create a post based around an event in the character's life. The character will then be passed on to the next player down, and they will write a second event in this character's life. Then it will be passed to the next player, and then the next, and so on, until we have gone through everyone. I hope that's clear, though there's a lot more information in the thread linked above if you're confused, or you can PM me or leave a message in this thread. Smile

Now, a few rules and bits of essential info...

For the initial character posts: There are basically no limitations to the characters. They can be of any genre you wish, and don't even necessarily have to be human. And this is also extended to the following posts by other players as well, as long as it fits in with the original. As an example (using Smee's working thread), the first character, Jhoni. This character was first created by Smee, and in his post, he has the character working at using a bow and arrow. There aren't any specific links to the fantasy genre, but it would work, due to the general setting. In the next post for Jhoni, I am the author and I've extended it further into the fantasy genre, by placing the character at a younger age in the middle of a dragon war.

Unfortunately, the character didn't get beyond that point, but I'm sure you all get what I mean.

Each post is also going to be using the method used in the previous attempt at the game, in that the character will be turning over a card to start, and upon reaching the end of the memory in the post, it will be ended with a summary of what is written on the card to prompt such a memory.

Keep in mind that your characters are going to be looking back and remembering their lives. Therefore, they will be required to be adult and of a certain age to give enough of a timeline to work with.

I will be adding a prompt/prompts to each round following the first. These will be required to be integrated into your post. Generally they will be to do with a stage of life, though there may be other things also.

Each character will be set in a certain colour, and each post made for that character will be required to be in that same colour, in order to make it easier to follow the individual stories.

Once you've made the initial post for your character, you will have nothing further to do with their creation, unless we decide to go for a second round, which is a possibility depending on the amount of players involved. Regardless though, you will have nothing more to do with the character until that point. The whole idea behind the game is that it will push you outside your comfort zone and help you to expand your character building ability. You might have trouble writing from the point of view of the opposite sex, or from a child's perspective, or in a certain tense. I hope that I can give everyone the chance to confront these writing demons through this game. Wink You are to remain in the tense and style used for a certain character.

There is a word-count minimum of 500 words. I'm not giving the restriction of a maximum word-count, but I would ask you use common sense, and not post up something enormously long, lol!

I want good grammar and spelling used throughout please. I will also be expecting regular posts, so please make sure you're ready to commit to the game. It won't be particularly fast paced, but I want to get at least one round a week done. If you join up and then disappear, I will ask for a volunteer to play in your place. If you're going to have trouble making the deadline at some point, let me know and we can arrange something.

I may add more should I deem it necessary, but that's all for now. Feel free to ask questions in order to clarify anything that's confusing you, and please check out both threads linked above to give you and idea of how it's going to work and what I expect from you.

~~~

And, without further ado, I'm opening the thread to volunteers to play! If you're interested, please post so in here so that I know and can note down how many will be playing, and then, if you wish, you can get started on your character posts for when the game officially starts. Smile

Hopefully this idea will appeal to a few of you!

misterbiz
Horror Mod

Topics: 50

Items
Legends
Fables
2895 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Biz is in

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, Biz! Thanks! Smile

As soon as someone signs up, they can start to create their first post at their leisure. No character sheet required, just an initial post for the character ready for it to be passed on to another. Remember not to include too many details from the past, as it leaves less room for others to develop the character from ideas that naturally pop up in their own imaginations.

The initial post can be set at any point in the character's life, so feel free to let you imaginations run wild. The only thing I ask, as I mentioned before, is that the hand turning over the cards at the very start of the post be an adult, so that there is a longer period of time to work with. Smile

Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
Fables
1827 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in! Very Happy
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
7870 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wanna play too!

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
Fables
1341 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in too!
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome guys, thank you! Smile

As I said in the last post, feel free to start creating the the initial posts for the characters. I'll leave the game open for more players for a little longer, but we have enough players with the five of us, so it shouldn't be too long until we're ready to start.

I'll open a game thread over the next few days and we'll go from there. But don't worry, there's no rush atm. I'll likely leave it open for more players for at least another 5 days, as it's not possible to join afterwards. Though the joining up period can be open for as long as the first round is playing. It's once that round is closed that it won't be possible for others to join.

Thanks again! I hope we can have some fun with this! Smile

Phantomfan
Citizen

Topics: 7

Items
Legends
Fables
30 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me me me! I really liked the one we did with Smee way back in the day, and maybe we'll get to finish it this time!

Here's some stuff I started writing a long time ago. Orb. Nexus.
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Phan! Great to have you on board! Smile

I'm going to give a final call out to any last minute players, as I need to know the exact amount of people in order to start playing. The current number is perfectly sufficient though and I thank you all for the interest.

Okay, a little more info to clarify some things for you, even though it is all set out in the thread linked in my other post...

We currently have six players, so I'm going to use this amount as an example. This part is the same as in the original game. Should the number remain the same, each player will have 7 cards set out before them. If we just have everyone in order here...

Tikanni
Biz
Seraphi
Pope
Sagi
Phan

We'll use my character (whoever he/she turns out to be) to show how the order is going to work.

Tikanni --> Biz --> Seraphi --> Pope --> Sagi --> Phan --> Tikanni

NOTE: This might not be the exact order, depending on who posts their initial post when. This is just an example using the order of sign up. Wink

Seven cards with seven rounds, each character being finished off by the person who started it. The setting is almost like a 'judgement day' type thing. Kinda like one of those old Tales From the Crypt movies. But this doesn't need to end in them being a bad guy and going to hell for their sins. They can be a perfectly nice, friendly character too, just so you know. Wink

The characters rather than the authors will be coloured to removed the need to wait for each person before you to post before you're able to. I will set out the colours later on when the game begins (probably over the weekend).

I am just going to say at this point that, though more emphasis is on building one's writing skills and overcoming personal writing boundaries, like the original game, this will involve building solid, well-developed characters. The creator of the initial and ending post for a character will retain the copyright for said character and will be entirely free to go use them in a story once the game is over, should they wish to.

More to come soon, I'm sure, but feel free to ask any questions! Wink

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, you may have noticed that I've set up the game thread for this. Gameplay is NOT open yet, but I wanted to give you all an example of what I'm expecting (I've noted that there are 7 cards laid out before my character. Should more people join the game, I will edit this to allow for that). And you can all start working on your posts whenever you're ready.

It's up to you whether you decide to step out of your comfort zone with your character. You'll no doubt get a chance to do so anyway, so your boundaries should be pushed regardless. I have chosen to do so, by stepping out of fantasy and into a more sci-fi setting, but it's not essential. Wink

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Character Colours

The colours that are chosen for each character will be used for that character throughout the game. Below I will set out the colours available, and as each is used, I will mark it so.

Jenna Pelloma - indigo
Nevin - dark red
Jack - green
Talo Murkasi - dark blue
Alexander White/Weiss - blue

~~~

Order of Play for Each Character

Jenna Pelloma: Tikanni --> Biz --> Pope --> Seraphi --> Sagi --> Tikanni

Nevin: Biz --> Pope --> Seraphi--> Sagi --> Tikanni --> Biz

Jack: Pope --> Seraphi --> Sagi --> Tikanni --> Biz --> Pope

Talo Murkasi: Seraphi --> Sagi --> Tikanni --> Biz --> Pope --> Seraphi

Alexander White/Weiss: Sagi --> Tikanni --> Biz --> Pope --> Seraphi --> Sagi

NOTE: You don't have to use the colours in the order I've given. Pick one as you wish and I'll switch the order around to suit. Smile

More will be added if needed. Wink

Last edited by Tikanni Corazon on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:52 am; edited 8 times in total
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change of plan...

I've decided that the time for entering the game is now closed. But people may still express interest, and if there are enough potential entrants, we'll play again once this game is over with.

So all that needs to be done is for the first entries to be posted up. Once we have the initial character posts up, and we have names and colours assigned, then the game can begin properly. I'm officially announcing the game to be open! Smile

sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
1341 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already started writing my character. Very Happy

I have a question: do the "memories" unlocked in each round have to be in chronological order? E.g. is it possible to show a later memory first, and then an earlier memory later?
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not in any specific order, no. I may give a prompt at times, which could well include a certain stage of life. The only part that you need to make sure is in the present is the part at the beginning, where the cards are being flipped over. Other than that, it's open unless stated otherwise. Smile

sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
1341 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question: at the beginning, just before the card's flipped over, is it possible for the character to describe his own physical characteristics from self-observation? E.g. scar on hand, or whatever.
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands would be the only thing that you're able to describe, as they would be visible in the light. There are no mirrors or anything, and the characters cannot remember who they are or what they look like. But hands are fine, yes. Smile

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phan has informed me that she unfortunately is unable to participate in the Character Experiment this time around, due to RL issues, though she does still want to play next time if possible. *fingers crossed* And so with that, I've decided that we're going to start playing. I'll need to edit my post a little, as I've specified the number of cards as seven, when it will now be six.

There will be a prompt, which I'll post up a little later. But get ready for the second round to begin! Smile

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys! Round 2 is officially open!

You have a prompt as a guide for this round...well, almost two prompts really, I suppose, lol! It is:

Preparation during childhood for something the character is expected to do

Just in case that seems a little vague, I'll give a little more information. Childhood here is ranging from very young up to the age of 15 years. Any period within those boundaries is fine. As for the part about preparation, this I will give a little more embellishment on. This might be something that they're expected to do by their parents, or as a law of the land in which they live, etc. It could be something that they're doing to prepare for something that they wish to do themselves also. Please note though, this doesn't have to connect to the original posts. For example, Jenna doesn't have to be preparing for her career as a futuristic biologist, and Talo doesn't need to be preparing to become a necromancer. They could be, if you wish, but they don't have to be. They could have had entirely different plans at this period in their life. Whatever you choose to do is entirely up to you - and no making background plans with each other or discussing if the original author minds if you do so and so, lol! Wink

~~~

The order for the next round is as follows:

Jenna Pelloma: Biz
Nevin: Pope
Jack: Seraphi
Talo Murkasi: Sagi
Alexander White/Weiss: Tikanni

~~~

I'd also like the posts to be made in this order please, so Biz will go first and I will go last. It's just so the characters are posted in the original order. Wink Please also remember to use the correct colour for the characters.

I have also edited the first part of my original post to say that there are now six cards and the position of them has been changed. This is now set, and you are free to use the information for your own reference. Note: All the cards for each player will be set out in the same manner, so if you specify anything about them at any time, please use my description as a reference. Smile

Any questions, let me know, but otherwise, the floor is yours! Start us off Biz! Wink

sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
1341 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tika, how would you feel about people putting a "placeholder" post for their chapter, to be replaced with the actual chapters when they are finished? This way, people down the list can put up their post any time they want, without waiting for the others. Razz
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol! Somehow I get the feeling that you really want to post, Sagi. Wink

That sounds like a reasonable request, yes. Feel free to go along with that suggestion all!

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, love the Talo post, Sagi!

I have a day off work today, so I'm going to be working on my post for Alexander a little later, amongst other things, lol! Really sorry to everyone that I've been unable to get on IF more this week. I've just started a new job and it's quite a physical one, so I'm just exhausted when I get home. But I'm certain that will change over the next few weeks, as my very unfit self gets used to it. Wink

But I will be posting in the CE thread later, I'm determined!

sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
1341 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I love what you did with Alex's childhood! From an apprentice carpenter to a Nazi, and then to a loving grand uncle. Already he has layers. Hehe I really love CE. Such a brilliant idea. Very Happy

Oh, and you have nothing to apologise for, Tika! Wink
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just posting to bump for the remaining entries in round 2, so that we can move on to round 3, before it gets to a point where the thread gets forgotten about, lol! I would actually like to see this through to it's end. Wink

EDIT
In the meantime, I'm going to post up the order for the next round so that the rest of you can start thinking about what you might like to do for the entries for round 3. Though don't post them up until I give the word please. Wink

Jenna Pelloma - Pope
Nevin - Seraphi
Jack - Sagi
Talo Murkasi - Tikanni
Alexander White/Weiss - Biz

And the prompt for the next round too. The next round is to be set at whatever age you wish, but must involve the loss of someone/something that the character loves. This could be a person or a pet or an object that has a connection to someone in the characters past, or anything else that your imaginations can come up with. I can't wait to see how they all turn out! Smile

Last edited by Tikanni Corazon on Sun May 12, 2013 5:49 am; edited 2 times in total
misterbiz
Horror Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
2895 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be working on mine today and hopefully get some motivation to finish it

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Biz! Much appreciated, thank you. Smile Over the next 2-3 days would be good.

Just an added note to say that I've edited the above post to include the order for the next round and the prompt as well, if any of you would like to take a gander.

sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
1341 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd absolutely love to write up for the next character...I'm so excited! Very Happy

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go right ahead and write it up Sagi, if you like! You just won't be able to actually post it just yet, lol! Wink

On that note, could the remaining characters be put up asap please.

misterbiz
Horror Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
2895 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenna's part 2 is now done and up...just waiting on Seraphi

Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
1827 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin!
sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
1341 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing chapters, biz and seraphi! Omg, seraphi, the twist. You're awesome.

kkdestiny
Mayor

Topics: 56

Items
Legends
Fables
119 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am officially stating interest in any future game that may be set up Smile

"The Freedom of Magic" Just got its THIRD chapter up!

Hope you all find the time to read them Very Happy *goes off to look for an SG to read*

Note to self: The Elven Moon; Coin; SVI; Black Animals; Two Wolves; Angel Cat
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fab, round three is now open! Look above for the prompt and order of play, then off you go!

@KK - I'll let you know about any future games of this that we play. As long as this one manages to reach it's end, we'll certainly be doing this again, I promise. Wink

sagittaeri
Scifi/Experimental Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
1341 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehehe I'm so excited for this round, and I haven't even decided on what to write, yet!

Last edited by sagittaeri on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
7870 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: I was wondering Reply with quote

Hey, could we do the place saver thing again this round?

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's fine. It's okay to do that for each round. Smile

kkdestiny
Mayor

Topics: 56

Items
Legends
Fables
119 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I miss reading this stuff you guys! :O

It's been crawling in the back of my head since activity started up again, I just couldnt remember where it was!

"The Freedom of Magic" Just got its THIRD chapter up!

Hope you all find the time to read them Very Happy *goes off to look for an SG to read*

Note to self: The Elven Moon; Coin; SVI; Black Animals; Two Wolves; Angel Cat
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
1827 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss it, too, kk! Biz mentioned starting it up again at some point :3
misterbiz
Horror Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
2895 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much would like to bring it back. May have to start up an interest gathering thread for it

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds cool, guys. And probably the kind if thing I could be involved with given my current situation. Would everyone previously involved be interested in continuing or would we be needing new players?

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Writers' Arena All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: