Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Walkabout Part 5 - Command

(currently a favorite of 1 user)
   Storygames Home -> Manor of the Macabre - Horror, Mystery, and Suspense -> Storygames: Horror, Mystery and Suspense
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author Chapter
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 339

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Walkabout Part 5 - Command Reply with quote

Ian hefted his pack and slung it over his shoulder. Waving at the guy in the pickup as he pulled away, he looked around at his new location.

It was a medium sized city, somewhere in a place he'd never heard of.

Ian had once seen a cartoon with a man driving a car. The man had been holding a map labelled 'nowhere', and there was a sign by the road saying 'Now entering the Middle.'

This must have been how he felt.

“Well, fuck it.” It was hardly the fist strange place he'd ended up.

Follwing his intuition, he turned around and walked down a nondescript street in the failing light.

Ian hated being somewhere new when it was dark. He liked to get his bearings when it was light, then he could find his way around better.

Still, it was what it was.

Glancing at his watch he saw it was half past seven. Still plenty of time.

The street he was on was on the outskirts of the town centre, home to all the shops and businesses that aspired to be on the main street, but hadn't quite made it. Second rate burger joints and charity shops lined the road. And bars. And, yes, there it was. A club.

The 'Rowdy Buck' wasn't busy when he strolled up to it, but there was still a large bald white man with tattoos on his head outside.

“ID,” the bouncer said, when it became clear Ian was intending to enter.

“These are not the droids you are looking for,” Ian said in way of reply, waving a hand.

The bouncer went blank for a moment, and Ian slid inside. He'd always been a fan of Star Wars.

The bar wasn't busy yet, but there was still a reasonable smattering of clients. Mostly middle aged guys on their own, but some younger couples.

He looked around. There was a pattern to these things, and he was well familiar with it.

Crossing the dance floor, he made his way to the corner of the place, to an unmarked door. It opened at his touch, and, going through, he found himself in small but clean office. It was dominated by a desk that was covered in paperwork. Behind it sat a large man with an even larger beard.

“Who the fuck are you?” he began to rise.

“I'm employed here,” Ian said.

The man hesitated a moment. A strong willed one this chap. Then he sank back into his chair. “Oh, yes,” he said.

“I'm Ian, you hired me a week ago, but I had stuff to do, only just arrived.”

“Yeah... yeah sure,” said the man, frowning.

“What's your name?”

“Kevin,” the man answered, still uncertainly.

“Well, Kevin, I need a room. Where's the best place?” Ian dumped his backpack down on the floor.

“We have a spare room upstairs, I was saving it for... saving it for...” Kevin frowned, as if confused. Not surprisingly.

“You were saving it for me,” Ian said. “Where is it?”

“Oh, yes. Sure.” Kevin pulled out a drawer and, after a moment of fumbling about, pulled out a key on a tarnished ring. “Here. Number three.” He threw the key at Ian, who caught it with his left hand. “That way.” He nodded to a door at the back of the office.

“Cool. See you around.” Ian picked his bag up again and headed towards the exit.

“Yeah...” Kevin shook his head. Ian did too, he'd have to watch this one.

Still, nothing to worry about for the moment. He made his way up a rickety flight of steps coated with a carpet that that was apparently held together with semen stains, and found a brown wooden door with a faded 'three' embossed upon it.

Using the key, he opened it to find a surprisingly roomy and clean place beyond. There was even an en-suite bathrooom.

“Top notch,” Ian said, throwing himself onto the bed. “This will do.”

>>

The club was in full swing, and Ian had hooked his mark. A fit older guy, probably about fifty. Grey haired, but surprisingly intelligent and strong willed, he'd stood out the moment he'd walked in.

It had taken Ian only minutes to hook him. His new friend was called Ron, and he was the owner of some precious gem business, just passing though.

As they went, this one was good. He was clean, well educated and paid for everything without Ian having to even suggest it.

And when it got late, he wasn't adversed to staggering up to Ian's new room for some... extras.

All in all a good night was had by all. Ian went to sleep as satisfied as he'd been in a while.

>>>

Sunlight streaming in woke him.

“Damn.” Ian rubbed at his head. He hated mornings, it was when he was weakest, unsure of himself.

He frowned and looked at his hand. It was covered in something.

“What the hell?”

Sitting up he looked around. The place was trashed. His nice new room was a tip, with most of the furniture matchwood. The bathroom door was hanging off one hinge.

That wasn't all. Ian's nice new friend had not been spared. He was ripped apart. Pieces of Ron decorated the walls, floor, furniture and Ian.

“What the fu...”

There was a hammering at the door. The sort of hammering that suggests serious people in uniform on the other side. The sort of people that wish to ask questions, such as... 'what the fuck happened to Ron and why did you do it?'”

Instinct took over, and Ian ran to the window, which overlooked the car park, which, he soon saw, was full of flashing blue lights.

“Oh bollocks,” he said.

>>>

I have no idea what's going on here, 'cos... beer. Help a drunken bastard out?

<<<

Last edited by Chinaren on Mon May 25, 2020 2:53 am; edited 7 times in total
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like whatever our mysterious psychic was running from caught up to him. My guess, either a malevolent spirit, a curse, or a jilted psychic ex.

Either way since you can't jump out the window and I'm assuming you can't just mumbo jumbo your way out of this...might I suggest quickly making yourself look like the second victim? Even if they don't buy it they still have to transport you to a hospital and guard the room, giving you time to think things through and possibly make a more productive escape.

"Music makes you braver."
Emperor
Citizen

Topics: 29

Items
Legends
2041 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming he can further influence people, maybe he can turn them against each other and wait long enough to get one alone and figure out what is going on.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
24787 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Town Ain't Big Enough Reply with quote

Fun, I like this idea of going around throwing people's minds around. Maybe he's being framed now, maybe he's just going crazy while he sleeps.

I like Kalanna's idea of acting like a victim but another fun idea could be just cooperating. Don't tell them about the psychic stuff, but otherwise tell them what little he knows. Make an escape later, when there are fewer people. Maybe much later... spend a little time in jail, he's got the means to get out when he wants. Get some intel from the inside. My guess is there is some supernatural entity in this town that's trying to scare this psychic away. Maybe taking care of things like that is what Ian is about, using his intuition as his only guide.

Welcome To Purgatory - current storygame
Please visit my Library of completed works.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, them's great ideas people! Thank you.

I'll give it a tiny bit more time and then poll...
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll is up then peeps.

Last edited by Chinaren on Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
24787 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Yar Reply with quote

Voted me own

Author Chapter
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay then, poll closed. I'm going to actually try writing something! OMG.
Author Chapter
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Part 2 - Not a Good Morning Reply with quote

Ian looked around wildly, he was far too hungover and not remotely enough awake to be in this sort of situation. Plus, what that fuck?

Another round of banging on the door encouraged him to focus on the matter at hand, namely not to be dragged off and locked up for murder. He could only 'encourage' people so much, and then there was the other matter...

The door started to buckle as the banging stepped up a notch. Ian made a decision. He dashed over to his small bathroom and dived in, flipping the lock behind him.

Just in time. There was a loud crash as the room door finally gave way, followed closely by the sound of serious people in body armour shouting “Freeze!”, though to whom it wasn't certain.

Ian squeezed himself up under the sink and put on a face of abject terror, which wasn't too much of a stretch given the circumstances.

It was only seconds before somebody tried the door, and, only a few more seconds before it, too, was kicked in.

Two large men in dark paramilitary gear filled the room, swinging guns before them.

“Please!” Ian screamed, cowering, “Help! Someone help!” Just for good measure he started to blubber.

One of the cops relaxed a little, and pulled his helmet faceplate up. The other didn't move, the gun still trained on Ian.

“Who are you son? What happened? Who butchered everyone?”

“I... I don't know,” Ian sniffled, absorbing the 'everyone'. He thought quickly. “I... I was in here, and then there was a lot of screaming. A lot of screaming! I was scared, so I hid.” He looked up at the cops and summoned what little strength he had. “That's what happened,” he added.

They wavered for a second, but then relaxed.

“Yeah,” the first one said. “Yeah, that's right.” He nodded at the second cop, who pulled off his helmet, and then back at Ian. “Here lad, are you hurt?”

“Not much, just really shaken up. I'm probably in shock,” he added.

“He's probably in shock,” said the second cop, speaking for the first time. “We should get him to the ambulance.”

“Yeah, okay.” First cop nodded, and they both helped him stand, on legs that really did shake.

They let him throw on some clothes, and then led him out through the club.

It was a slaughterhouse. It seemed that everyone, everyone who had been in the club last night was dead, though it was a little hard to tell, as whatever had happened to them had ripped them, literally, into pieces. Ian shuddered. There could be only one explanation, though why he had escaped was a mystery.

The two cops led him outside, and handed him over to a paramedic in a waiting ambulance. Telling him someone would be back to question him later, they left, presumably to kick any remaining doors down.

The ambulance guy, a kindly fellow, asked him a few basic questions, took a pulse, measured his blood pressure and did all the usual things medical people do when there's nothing really wrong with someone. Finally he gave him a blanket and told him to keep warm and get some rest.

Nodding, Ian wandered off, wondering if they would let him back into his room to get his stuff, and, more importantly, where he was going to stay tonight. Perhaps he could break back into the club...

He stopped. A tall man in an immaculate, long black coat was looking down at him through expensive looking sunglasses.

“Er, hello?” Ian said.

“Hello Ian,” the man replied, smiling with his mouth only.

“How do you know my name?” Ian asked, panic beginning to rise.

“Oh, we know who you are.” That smile again.

Ian focussed hard. “I'm not Ian, I'm not who you're looking for.”

The smile remained, and for a second Ian thought the man was going to leave. No such luck.

“Good try,” the stranger said. “You are really strong, probably more than you know.”

Ian's knees started to buckle. “Oh shit. You're...”

“Yes. We've finally caught up with you.” The man took his sunglasses off, and unnaturally pale eyes bored into Ian.

“D... did you, was that...” Ian gestured at the club.

“Yes, that was us. We wanted to show you what we were capable of. It was a reminder of our power, in case you had forgotten, but also how kind we are.”

“Kind?” Ian raised an eyebrow.

“Yes. You're alive aren't you?”

“Mmm.” Ian narrowed his eyes and ran through where this was going. “You want something from me don't you?”

The man, or whatever he was, smiled again. “Yes, I was told you were smart.”

“I'm not going to like this am I?”

“Probably not, but then, you wouldn't like the alternative either. You've been giving us the run-around, and you know how that makes us feel.”

Ian pulled his blanket around him and shivered. This was not turning out to be a good morning.

>>>>

Very well, short and sweet. Bearing in mind we don't know who (or what) this stranger is/represents (suggestions welcome!), what is the task Ian has to fulfil?

Be imaginative folks, nothing's off the table here. In fact, there's not even a table.

<<<<

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
41350 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every good cult needs brainwashed minions. While these guys can mentally start fires, destroy property, and rip people limb from limb they're not very gifted in the suggestion department. Ian is.

So he's needed to make a few dozen 'willing' converts for whatever this shadowy cult desires. Meat puppets, scapegoats, fall guys. Better them than him right?

"Music makes you braver."
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
24787 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That went pretty well!

It's for a political assassination. Someone who is coming into power isn't doing what they're supposed to. The shadow organization that more or less runs everything needs an assassin that will be completely untraceable to kill them. The assassin would need to do the job without knowing why they're doing it, no plausible motive beyond "They're crazy! They just wanted to kill someone important!" Ian would be preparing the assassin for the job.

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, two excellent suggestions! THanks chaps!

Very Happy

Last edited by Chinaren on Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key
King

Topics: 207

Items
Legends
7053 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They want him to infiltrate a rival magical organization. Pretend to be a new recruit, get in the door, and then turn off the alarms so these guys can come in and kill everybody.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh! Nice one you rotunulance! Smile

Last edited by Chinaren on Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
scribe siren
Citizen

Topics: 10

Items
Legends
877 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well If Ian is sooo important to those that have been following him. I'm sure they wouldn't kill him. How long have they been following him-- depending on the time taken to finally show up and kill everyone--I'm sure they wouldn't pose a threat.

Someone must be behind it all, so I suggest following along since they know Ian was talking c\!#p just to save his ass.
So I guess he can save it if he befriends his enemies. Some way he could learn their weaknesses and get them off his trail.

So I aggree to being part of the magical community, but don't show any of your other talents. Keep some cards hidden and then. Bam!
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay then, thanks all!

I'll post a poll soon. Just have an issue with heating in my apartment atm, so I'm just too cold to write! Sad

Last edited by Chinaren on Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally this is polling!!

Last edited by Chinaren on Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Author Chapter
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Part 3 - Test Reply with quote

So the poll was won on Opus path, hence...

---------------

“So, what do you want then?” Ian asked.

“No beating about the bush eh, Ian?” The man nodded. “Very well.” He glanced back at the club, which was still swarming in police. “When I said we did that,” he waved a hand at the chaos behind him, “I was only telling you half of the story.”

“I don't get it,” Ian said. He was having trouble focussing. He'd been awake less than ten minutes and a lot had happening in that short time.

“It was us, but it was also... another group.”

“What?” That woke Ian up. “What other group? Who else could do that?”

“They were after you, we think. We arrived about the same time as they did and the situation... got slightly out of hand.”

“I'll say,” Ian said.

“We beat them off, no pun intended,” the man continued, “but by then the cops were on the way. So we had to... dispose of any witnesses. Sorry about your friend.” He didn't sound sorry.

“Well, he'd run his course,” Ian said, distractedly. “So, I assume I'm not screaming under torture because you would like me to do something?”

“Yes. Well done, such a lovely boy, and so quick on the uptake.” The man lifted Ian's chin with a smooth hand, raising his head and looking at him with a slight tilt to his own head.

Ian went cold.

“Such a shame,” he said to himself. “Next time maybe.” He stroked Ian's cheek and then dropped his hand.

“This group calls themselves 'The Red Hand,' for reasons we aren't sure of. Probably because it sounds 'cool'. Still.” He took a deep breath and looked around before continuing.

“They're still gathering their strength, which is why we think they were looking for you.”

“I'm not sure I like where this is going,” Ian said, beginning to twig.

“Of course you are. It will be fun. An adventure.” The man smiled his smile again. “We don't know where the leaders of this Red Hand are, and we don't know who they know in our operation, so we would like you to infiltrate them for us. Say you got away from us, we'll make it convincing, and get them to trust you. I'm sure for a boy of such charm that won't be hard.”

“But I don't know where to find them!” Ian complained.

“Oh, don't worry, they'll find you I'm sure. We'll hang back this time. Unless you would rather the alternative?” Smile. “Oh, there will be a test first of course.”

“Of course,” said Ian. “Written or oral?”

“Such a clever boy.” The man stroked his cheek again. “Well, let's start then. I'm sure they're watching us. The test is: You will need to escape from me.”

“I see.” Ian nodded. This was a training scenario that he was well familiar with.

“I'm sure you do. Such a clever boy. Quick on the uptake for sure. If you haven't got away before we return to where I'm staying, then we shall consider that a fail.”

“No doubt that will be fun for you,” Ian said.

“So cynical for one so young,” the man replied. “Now, where's my car?”

He waited until the car came between them and the multitude of emergency services and then slapped Ian around the head.

Unexpected as it was, Ian had been trained by the same methods, and his unconscious at least, was half ready. He deflected some of the blow and rolled with the rest of it, which had the added effect of making him look like he'd been knocked down.

He kept rolling, and so the following kick only grazed him. Then something grabbed him and slammed him against the car, holding him steady as several more kicks didn't miss.

“There now, that should be convincing enough,” the man said.

Ian, now gasping for breath, winced as another shape loomed over him. The man, or possibly half gorilla, was dressed in a classic chauffeurs uniform, and loomed over him like a terminal asteroid about to strike the earth.

“Put him in the car,” said the man.

Gorilla driver grunted, and some unseen force dragged Ian off to the side, and then catapulted him into the rear of the vehicle, which turned out to be a limousine of some kind. Ian landed on the floor.

The man climbed in after him and sat demurely on the seat. The door closed of its own accord and then, a few seconds later, Ian felt the car begin to move.

“The journey back to where I'm staying takes about forty minutes or so, depending upon traffic,” the man said. “I suggest you don't hold back.”

>>>>

Oh oh. Trouble! How the heck is Ian going to escape?

Without wishing to give away any backstory, he is very capable if needs be, and who knows what, if any, other 'skills' he may have at his disposal, so be imaginative when suggesting how he's going to get away!

All options on the table!

<<<<

Author Chapter
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Limo Ride. Reply with quote

“So, do I get to know your name then?” Ian asked the man, as the limo surged away. 

The man, who had taken a seat opposite him, looked at him even more coolly than before. 

Eventually, just as Ian thought he wasn't going to respond, he said: “You may call me Mr. Mann.”

“A bit generic,” replied Ian, but only half heartedly.  As cool as he was trying to appear on the outside, inside his head he was frantically trying to work out how to get away.  He wasn't sure how much time he had before they reached wherever they were headed.  The newly named Mr. Mann had already proved resistant to his charms, and the partition was up to the driver's section, assuming he could get through to the gorilla that was driving.

He looked out of the tinted window.  They were winding their way through the city streets.  It looked like they were heading towards the town centre.  No doubt Mr. Mann was staying at some expensive hotel.  Senior operatives like him usually did.

“I'm not very impressed so far,” his captor said.  “I'd have expected you to do something by now.”

“Well, if you're expecting it, then it's not a good time then is it?” Ian replied.  He scowled at his captive and wondered if he should try again on him.  If he concentrated...

“There's some kind of diversion ahead,” came the voice of the driver over the intercom.

“What is it?” asked Mann, pushing the intercom button.

“It might be the Hand,” came the driver's voice.  “It's probably a trap.”

“Very well, drive...”

“Crash the car!!” Ian shouted, projecting as much strength into the command as possible.

“You fu...”

Mann's expletive was  cut off as the limo swerved violently, throwing Ian and his unwelcome companion to the side.

There was a loud noise, followed by several moments of weightlessness, followed by several more moments of, much more painful, non-weightlessness, which involved a lot of being thrown about the inside of the car as it rolled over.

After what seemed liked a thousand years, the car came to rest. 

Ian, aware of the urgency of his situation, recovered first.  Removing Mr. Mann's shoe from his face, he forced  himself upright. 

The car had come to rest on it's side, from what he could make out.  He was lying on top of his abductor, who was groaning.

“Go to sleep!” he ordered, trying to focus.

Mann immediately slumped back and stopped moving.

“Ha,” muttered Ian.  Even people who were resistant to his charms often succumbed when they were confused or slightly out of it. It was why he was an advocate of drug taking in others.  It made his life easier.

“Yay, test passed,” he muttered to himself as he tried to haul himself upright.

There was a moment of dizzyness, and he woke up again to see someone reaching down from above, through the broken window of the car.

“Come with me if you want to live,” said a voice, just before he blacked out again.

~ * ~

“I think he's coming around,” said a voice.

It was a cute voice, thought Ian.  A freckle faced, red haired kind of voice.  A voice that was brought up in the countryside. probably on a farm, and was fit as fuck...

He opened his eyes.

The girl that was looking down at him had emerald green eyes, freckles, and red hair that tumbled down over her shoulders.

“Fuck me,” muttered Ian. “You know you sound just like your voice?”

“Really?” asked the girl, smiling a toothpaste-white smile.

“Except I was expecting a boy.”

Ian passed out again.

~ * ~

“Well hello there,” said another voice.  It wasn't the same voice as before.  This one belonged to an older male.  Ian knew this for a fact.

He opened his eyes.  Looking down on him was a man.  Grey hair, thin face, grey stubble covering his lower jaw.  A tired but kindly expression.  Everything about him screamed doctor.

“S'up?” asked Ian, woozily.

“You're going to be okay,” the man said.

“Well, gee whizz.  Fancy a blow job?”

The man gave him a wry smile.  “I don't think you're up to that kind of exertion just yet,” he replied. 

There was a noise, and the doctor looked around.

“He's awake,” he said to someone else.

Ian managed, with no slight effort, to move his head slightly to the right.  He saw a familiar freckled red-haired, female face.  This time he noted how young she looked.

“Hey,” he muttered.

“Can he talk?” Freckles asked the doctor, who nodded.

Ian watched as the medic gave him a quick once over before nodding at the girl, and the then leaving.

Freckles leaned over him, a serious look on her face.

“Hi there,” he groaned.  “Fancy a fuck?”

“You're as strong as they said,” she replied, a slight frown marring her features.

“I like to live up to...”

“Shut up.”  Freckles interrupted. 

“Okay.”

“We've exposed our entire organisation to get you,” she went on. 

“Nice to feel wanted...”

“So if you don't live up to all the hype I will personally pull your brain out through you nose,” she went on.

“How very Egyption of you,” Ian said.

Freckles nodded and then leaned down next to him.

“You're a cute one, I'll admit,” she said.  “And maybe that's part of your power, I don't know, but I don't have the time I'd like to find out either.”

“Are we in a rush?” asked Ian, trying to exert his will slightly.

Her eyes narrowed.  “Don't.”

Ian didn't.  He was simply to banged up.

“Better.”  She sat back slightly.  “Listen, we're not enemies, but obviously They're onto us, and we're not ready, not strong enough to fight back yet.  We need time.”

“And what?” Ian said.  “You expect me to do something about this?”

“Yes.  You have information that could tilt the balance,” Freckles said.

“I find that unlikely,” Ian replied, finding enough strength to push himself up onto one elbow.  “Still why don't you enlighten me?”

>>>>

I could barely type this out I'm so drunk, but there you go what iwll be wil be.

So, what's the info that Ian knows?  Please help, 'cos I've no clue!

[Sober edit - I'd forgotten I wrote this! Lol.  When I found it today I went through this again and corrected the worst of the spelling mistakes.  I can't spell when I can't see straight apparently. ]

<<<<

Key
King

Items
Legends
7053 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... well, I'm assuming these people are the Red Hand and the enemy they're talking about is Mr. Mann's organization.

It sounds like Ian's tangled with Mr. Mann's organization before, since they tracked him down (and maybe he was running from them?). So it stands to reason he might know something about them. Maybe he knows the location of one of their HQ, or one of their hideouts. Or maybe the identity of one of the higher-ups? Maybe the information could be Ian's "assignment" - like, "We know they're planning on infiltrating our organization. Who are they sending to do that?"
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key wrote:
Hmm... well, I'm assuming these people are the Red Hand and the enemy they're talking about is Mr. Mann's organization.

Yup!

Key wrote:
It sounds like Ian's tangled with Mr. Mann's organization before, since they tracked him down (and maybe he was running from them?).

I think it isn't too much of a spoiler to say that is also correct, although 'tangled' would be slightly understating it.

Key wrote:
So it stands to reason he might know something about them. Maybe he knows the location of one of their HQ, or one of their hideouts. Or maybe the identity of one of the higher-ups? Maybe the information could be Ian's "assignment" - like, "We know they're planning on infiltrating our organization. Who are they sending to do that?"

Excellent ideas your Most Rotundness! Smile

I shall wait for a bit for the, sadly, unlikely chance that someone else may suggest something, in which case I shall put up a poll.

Cool
Author Chapter
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“We pulled you out of a car that held a seriously high up agent,” Freckles said, “and he has information that we need, information that you can help us extract.”

“Y.. you mean Mann?” Ian asked, trying to stay focussed enough to follow what she was saying.  It was hard enough that he was still concussed, but she  was really very cute too.  For a girl.

“I don't know his name, but probably.  The guy that was in the car with you.  He's very powerful, but we have him sedated, and under guard.”

“He probably has a tracker on him too,” Ian suggested.

Freckles rolled her eyes.  “You think?” she asked, sarcasm dripping all over him.  “Oh, how I wish you'd been here earlier to warn us.”  She glared.

“Okay, okay,” Ian said, trying to raise his hands to avert her stare.  “So, you can't get a bit of information out of him without me then?  I'm not sure I'm joining the right side.”

“No one said anything about you joining us,” she replied, straightening up. 

“Fine, so I'm what?  A prisoner?”

“Let's just say you're a guest of ours, okay?” she replied.

“Fairy snuff.”  He groaned and clutched at his bruised ribs.  “You don't happen to have any pain-killing drugs on you by any chance?”

~ * ~

Ian ran his fingers through his hair, newly washed, and took a deep breath.  It was amazing what good day of rest, along with several well cooked meals could do.  He was feeling on top form nearly.  At least mentally, his side still ached.

“You ready?” asked Freckles, whose name he had learned was Amanda. 

“I'm always ready,” he replied, with a confident nod of his head.

“Mmm,” she mused, but opened the door anyway.

Beyond was Mr. Mann, sitting with his hands chained to a metal loop, which was attached to the table his chair was drawn up to. 

Behind him stood two large, serious looking men, both armed with pistols in shoulder holsters.

“Hello there.”  Ian grinned at his former captor.  “I passed your silly test, do I get a star?”

Mann just glared at him, unable to respond because of the ball gag currently inserted into his mouth.

“His power is through his voice mostly,” Amanda had explained.  “You have to try and listen to what he's saying, not what he's, er, speaking.” 

Despite her rather vague explanation, Ian had understood what she meant.  He'd met others with similar powers before, and his training, ironically by the same organisation that Mann worked for, had taught him methods to resist such.  He'd said as much, although Amanda didn't seem to be reassured.

“Chill babe,” he'd replied.

Ian pulled out a chair opposite his formed captor, and sat on it.  “Hey there, s'up?”  He grinned widely.

Mann snarled through his gag. 

“Now,” Ian said, leaning forward.  “I'm given to understand, from my new friends, who, by the way, haven't tried to kill me...”

Mann interrupted him, garbling something through his mouthpiece.

“Yes, yes, I know,” Ian replied, interpreting the missive correctly.  “There's still time.”  He waved a hand dismissively.  “But for now, I understand that you know the location of a certain... item.”

That took the agent by surprise, he could tell, despite Mann's quick attempt to cover his shock up. 

“Ah ha!  So, it's true then.”  Smiling, Ian placed his hands upon Manns'.  Ignoring his attempts to shake them off, he concentrated hard, really hard, and glared at the man. 

Tell me what you know about the artefact, especially where it is!” he commanded, putting every ounce of energy into his voice.

As he did so, one of the guards behind man stepped forward and ripped the gag out of Mann's mouth.

“It's in the tower... it's guarded by the...”  Mann, with what was obviously extreme effort,  gritted his teeth.  “By... the...”  Two more words slipped out before he again managed to stem the flow.

Tell me!” ordered Ian.

“Guarded by the...”  Mann started to shudder.  “By the... Wa...  By the W...”  He was turning purple now, and sweat was pouring down his face.

“Stop it,” cried Amanda.  “He's...”

Too late.  Mann gave one great convulsion, and slumped forward. 

Ian pulled his hands back quickly.  “Bloody hell,” he said.

“Dammit!” Amanda shouted, slamming her hand down on the table.  “You, see if you the doctor can do something, quickly!  Be careful though, he's dangerous.”

“Yes ma'am,” said the same guard who'd pulled the gag out.  Between him and the other man, they quickly detached Mann's chains from the table, and half carried, half dragged the unconscious, possibly dead, agent from the room.

“I've never seen anyone do that before,” Ian said, leaning back.

“He had some kind of block,” Amanda said, slumping down in the chair so recently vacated by Mann.  “Someone, probably with your kind of ability, commanded him not to say anything.”  She looked at him with those big, wide, innocent looking eyes.  “It says something for your power that you could get him to say as much as you did.  You must be really something.”

“You should try me in bed,” said Ian.

Amanda just shook her head.

>>>>
Woot!  I write! 

So then, Main SP here is:  What/who is guarding the Artefact?  Something/one called the Wa....??  maybe?  All ideas welcome.

Secondary thing: I know, or at least I think I know, what he artefact is/does, but I'd like to hear any ideas y'all have too!

And thank you for reading.

<<<
jnmrcs
Builder

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
7547 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. I got some crazy ideas to add some spice to this Very Happy

If you want a who I though about Wakko from animaniacs. He has a "huge appetite and a "gag bag" full of tricks".

But if you are looking something more serious then a Walt (serious name, maybe old and wise)

If you want a what. How about the Warden (of course you will have to add a legend or something or some kind of creature) or the Wayward.

Anyway, about the artifact it can have some power that protect its users against all powers (or some powers) or it could help its user to copycat other powers (with some limitation). At least those are the 2 most important things for a small organization expose itself without being ready; to obtain the artifact.

Good work, getting very interesting...
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, them's some stonking ideas there Jmsdrsusfkssks!

I shall add them to the pile, we may even have enough ideas for a poll this time. WooOOOoo.

Last edited by Chinaren on Sat May 16, 2020 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Key
King

Items
Legends
7053 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of possibilities:

Warrior
Watcher (in the Shadows, of Men, on High, Without Eyes, of Time, etc.)
Walker
Walking Dead
Water
Warthog
Ward
Wall of (Flame, Ice, Swords, Heads, etc.)

If I had to narrow, I'd go with some variation of "Watcher", which seems appropriate for a guard.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warthog. Lol.

I typed Wa off the cuff, who knew there could be so many variations?

Thanks KK! I shall defo have enough suggestions for a poll this time. Very Happy
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well, the Wa... poll is now up and ready for input!

And the name is...
Walker
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Watcher
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Warden
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Who Voted: Chinaren, jnmrcs, Key

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Storygames: Horror, Mystery and Suspense All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: