IFY's- Rules and Regulations
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

City of IF -> The IFY 2006 Archive

#1: IFY's- Rules and Regulations Author: D-LotusLocation: Hollywood, USA PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:03 pm
    —
Hello and welcome, one and all, to the grand IFy awards!
But let me explain...

Last year, I had an idea while talking to sparta12 in the chat room. Why don't we have storygame oscars?

Yes, I know, it seems ridiculous, but why not?

We could have a yearly voting or so, and then find out who is the best out of ALL, even active storygames.

We could also have different compartments, like, Best Plot, Best character, etc.

Well, it was just an idea. However, when I presented the idea to all the other moderators and authors in the secret moderator forum (yes, the one only moderators and authors can see), I knew we had something good. The responses were all positive.

So I present you in sparta's famous words:

Ladies and Gentlemen here's the idea. One time during the year we decide which storygame that ended this year or is still running, stands out among the rest... which is the cream of the crop. We call this...
The Storygame Oscars

However, stoygame oscars sounded somewhat plagiarized from some other competition (I don't recall which one), so we changed to: The IFy's!

Last year, the organization of this competition was...lacking, but even so, the tradition will continue this year, and hopefully for a very long time.

The only thing you need to have to participate is:

A storygame that ended this year or is still running this year.

RULES
________

There are 8 categories you can nominate for:

Best Description/Detail : Have you read a storygame and become totally immersed in its imagery and detail? Then nominate it for the Best Description/Detail Ify.

Best Style/Most Original : Which author, in your opinion, has written the most original and imaginative storygame in the past year? Who deserves the Best Style/Most Original Ify?

Best Plot : Have you read a storygame lately, where the quality of plot has left you wowed? Then nominate it for the best plot Ify.

Best Decision Points : Which storygame, in your opinion, has given you the best, most interactive decision points overall? Support it for the Best Decision Points Ify.

Best Character : Which storygame, in your opinion, has a main character that has come to life in the text? Give it your nomination in the Best Character Ify.

Best Supporting Character : Which storygame, in your opinion, has a supporting character that you've grown to love/hate/pity etc.? Nominate it for the Best Supporting Character Ify.

Best Co-Written SG : Which storygame, written by multiple authors, has gripped you in the last year? Nominate it for the Best Co-Written Ify.

All Round Best : Which storygame, in your opinion, is the most well-rounded, engrossing and all-round best of the year? Nominate it for the All-Round Best Ify.

The nominations will be taken for Jester Park, Skiffiville, and Fantasy Forest.

From there, each forum moderator will begin the voting process, from which 8 winners of each forum will be selected. Then, the final 24 winners will fight for the IFy's in the City Auditorium. Only 8 will remain to claim the prize.

Elegibility:

Any story that is currently in process of being written, voted on, etc is elligible for nomination, as well as any story that was FINISHED in May 2005-April 2006. Linear stories can participate as well, except for best interaction (obviously). Also, to nominate a storygame it must at least have 2 CHAPTERS. The Wheel stories are not elegible, and Battle to the End stories can be nominated in the Fantasy Forum.

Here is some advice to keep in mind before voting (or nominating):

1) Do not be influenced because you heard other people voted for one story.
2) Try to read at least most of the stories BEFORE you vote.
3)Don't vote for someone just because they sent you a PM telling you to do so.
4) Do not vote for someone ONLY because they advertise a lot.
5) Try to be objective and fair, don't vote for someone only because you feel sympathetic towards them. Vote because you truly think their story deserves it, even if they've won all the IFy's so far.
6) Try to avoid voting for yourself...if everybody votes for themeselves, we are going nowhere...

Dates:

Present day-May 8th :Nominations
May8-May 15th :Voting for individual forums
May15th-22nd :Final Voting
23rd :Awards day

Well, I think that covers it all...Thank you, and have a great nomination!

- D-Lotus

Last edited by D-Lotus on Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:45 pm
    —
The only problem I have with the IFy's, is it seems like only the most recent stories will stand much chance of being nominated.

Older stories will probably not be nominated, as people will have forgotten about them.

#3:  Author: Solomon BirchLocation: England..... but Japan beckons..... PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:46 pm
    —
Not if they're good enough.

#4:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:37 am
    —
Damn!! Just thought of another category:

Sexiest Babe and Hottest Hunk in a Sgame! Shocked

#5:  Author: Shady StoatLocation: England PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:56 am
    —
chinaren wrote:
Damn!! Just thought of another category:

Sexiest Babe and Hottest Hunk in a Sgame! Shocked

You been reading about Elladora and Chuzzle again, Chinaren? Shocked

#6:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:20 am
    —
Hey, that Playgnome channel is HOT!

#7:  Author: D-LotusLocation: Hollywood, USA PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:33 pm
    —
lordofthenight wrote:
The only problem I have with the IFy's, is it seems like only the most recent stories will stand much chance of being nominated.

Older stories will probably not be nominated, as people will have forgotten about them.

You might be right, but this is not always necessarily true. Last year Mordok's story won, and it had been finished a while ago.

If you liked some old stories, then go ahead and nominate them (like Sheerluck Holmes). Wink

#8:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:05 pm
    —
Hmm, yeah - that was a good story.

Remind me who wrote it again?

#9:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:09 pm
    —
LOL. Giving a plug for your old SG, D?

#10:  Author: AlegriaLocation: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course. PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:19 pm
    —
Subliminalmessagessubliminalmessagessubliminalmessages

Huh, I wonder if Lotus is trying to accomplish anything

#11:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:15 am
    —
Lotus? Hmm, no one has ever called D that. Cool

#12:  Author: D-LotusLocation: Hollywood, USA PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:22 pm
    —
Well, it's only a difference of one letter: D. Actually, it makes more sense to call me Lotus than to call me D if you don't know my real name (which also starts with D, hence the nick).

Anyway, the question has been raised about Soap for nominee. I'm afraid it doesn't meet the requirements of an Ify nominee (it needs at least 2 chapters, and they have to have been written by one author, or two authors who had decided at the time to work together).

But linear stories are still valid for everything except best decision points (last year we had one or two linears).

#13:  Author: AlegriaLocation: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course. PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:25 pm
    —
Question: Does a prolouge count as a chapter, even if it doesn't have a descision point?

I mean, you're allowing the linear stories.

#14:  Author: D-LotusLocation: Hollywood, USA PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:55 pm
    —
I don't see anything wrong with it, so yes.

#15:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:04 pm
    —
But Lotus is a mouthful, I would rather call you Lotty then. Very Happy

Totally off-topic. I know.
Off Topic

City of IF -> The IFY 2006 Archive

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 8 Hours

Page 1 of 1