# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  :| |:
City of IF -> The Time Before
How does Norral answer the guard?
Humbly deny all knowledge of any Sempa?
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Explain that your fire was throwing up a lot of sparks last night? Easily mistaken for fireballs at a distance.
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Sempa killed your family. You're heading straight to the Capital to complain and demand recompense?
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Author option (DO NOT USE)
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7
Who Voted: algu95, Chinaren, D-Lotus, DeadManWalking, Key, Reiso, Smee

#441:  Author: Muaddib PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:04 am
    —
Well I just caught up with Trengin. And what can I say...its just brilliant.

Ill give my eyes some rest, and do Norral tomorrow.

#442:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:49 am
    —
Had to give Bob a poke here. Cool

#443:  Author: SmeeLocation: UK PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:08 am
    —
So did I seeing your post Wink

#444:  Author: OmegaTerra PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:58 pm
    —
Gun

#445:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:06 pm
    —
LOL. Well if I keep poking Bob here, I help keep this thread alive until you post the second part.

#446:  Author: Sorrow_A PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:30 pm
    —
Hmm...interesting to see Norral so eager to get the mage back quickly. He says he wants revenge, but do we know for sure...? Well, he is most likely inherently evil, so...

#447:  Author: SmeeLocation: UK PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:17 pm
    —
I would guess he wants to experiment more with the power draining spell he's discovered. Wink

#448:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:55 am
    —
That and maybe also to give payment for the death of comrades.

#449:  Author: Solomon BirchLocation: England..... but Japan beckons..... PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:16 am
    —
Yes! I have caught up! And it's marvellous! A wonderful world with a very well thought out magical system that adds masses of realism to it, which is very admirable. Well done Smee! *pats back* :biggrin:

And onto my first descision point here! I think that saving face with the soldiers is vastly the most important thing to do at the moment. Srune set up the circle so that they could show the soldiers that the mages were getting more serious about helping them against the Sempa, and saying that they should stay with the books may make them seem not to care about the men at the bridge, and possibly more concerned with the knowledge stored within the caravans.

One thing I noticed which confuzzled me a little was:

Quote:
A book written by a scholar who actually knew Alchien

Does this mean that Alchien is still alive, or at least his death has not been confirmed? Or has the tense been mixed a little? Very Happy

This should be avoided, so going to the bridge should be attempted. Before they go they should try and find as many useful texts that could help them with the bridge, and anything that is supremely valuable, so that if the Sempa did attack again and the caravans had to be destroyed, then at least some knowledge would be retained. I'm sure much of the information stored there would be useful and interesting for a mage to read, but only things which are immediately useful rather than history books, should be brought with them. The circle should head to the bridge, for it seems that on thier own thier capavilities would be greatly diminished, so if there was any danger at the bridge then they could combat it effectively.

As for telling the captain about the rumour spreading characters in the army, I think that they should. Though the captain may interpret it as mage paranoia and a disregard for his men, if Trengin can convince him that what he saw was really important, and identify the culprit, then I think he would take his concerns into consideration.

Really looking forward to the next installment now! :biggrin:

*holds breath* Shocked

#450:  Author: SmeeLocation: UK PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:29 am
    —
Hey Soily,

Fantastic that you've caught up - great to have you here. And a good comment too. Smile

Quote:
Early afternoon on the first day of travel saw my own discovery of note. A book written by a scholar who actually knew Alchien.

Hmmm, it's well documented with this story that I have a problem with tenses, but I'm not seeing it with this one. Confused

Ah - I get it (delete's all his waffle trying to work it out) - you mean it implies the author is still alive?

If I make it ... "A book written by a scholar of those times, who ...."

Thanks again, and ...

Happy Playing. Smile

#451:  Author: Solomon BirchLocation: England..... but Japan beckons..... PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:31 am
    —
Heh, yeah, sorry about that Smee, it does seem a bit of a lame point to bring up, but I just wanted to clarify that 'Alcien's' age wasn't a couple of years ago, though their wonderment at fiding books from that time should have dispelled my fears over that. Ah well... Very Happy

#452:  Author: SmeeLocation: UK PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:53 pm
    —
Not a problem - glad you did. Things like that can easily slip in and clarification is always good. Smile

#453:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:03 pm
    —
Spoily, stop distracting Smee from writing the next half of his chapter. I am still binding here.

#454:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:17 pm
    —
LOL. China, you getting that impatient? Cool

Last edited by Ravenwing on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

#455:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:19 pm
    —
Biding takes a lot of energy you know. At least if you do it properly. Wink

#456:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:08 pm
    —
Bidding or binding? I would think both would take a lot of effort.

#457:  Author: SmeeLocation: UK PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:44 pm
    —
Laughing I think there are other things distracting me than a new reader. *cough* Mayoral Essays *cough*

If anything Soily has reminded me I need to get Norral finished so I can get Trengin moving again. Smile

Happy Biding.* Smile

*But feel free to bid too - they won't happen but you're welcome to give me the fables. Wink

#458:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:46 am
    —
Good luck Smee, writing.

#459:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:03 am
    —
Well, if the essays are getting you down Smee, then you could always withdraw...

#460:  Author: ninja baloon PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:33 pm
    —
I suggest fighting 'till the bloody end. Never say die. Push it to the max and so forthe(sp?)

^simpsons quote^

#461:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:14 pm
    —
Smee, I don't think you need any more fables. You have plenty enough.

#462:  Author: Muaddib PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:47 pm
    —
I caught up with Norral too.

#463:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:55 pm
    —
...and I thwacked Bob. Everybody* wins!

*except Bob.

#464:  Author: SmeeLocation: UK PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:59 pm
    —
me too again Very Happy

#465:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:25 am
    —
Like the signs in your sig, china.

#466:  Author: OmegaTerra PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:44 pm
    —
Smee, how's the writing going? :twisted:
Any places to stop and have a nice "picnic" in the next chapter? Poke

#467:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:11 pm
    —
LOL. I was going to ask that myself. Maybe he is preparing for the party since it seems like he is leading in the polls for Mayor.

#468:  Author: SmeeLocation: UK PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:14 pm
    —
*Dangles feet in the crystal clear spring flowly gently through the wooded clearing and admires the perfect stillness of the perfect picnic spot.*

I don't think we're going to find anything better than before, unless you fancy a picnic on the Leader's lap. Smile

#469:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:17 pm
    —
Not really. Much prefer the serene stillness of the quiet stream. A good place to sleep and meditate.

#470:  Author: SmeeLocation: UK PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:40 pm
    —
and do battle against the Sempa Wink

#471:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:45 pm
    —
Let me meditate on a plan first before I go stand up and fight. Wink

#472:  Author: ChinarenLocation: https://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:26 pm
    —
Sempa, soda and sandwiches!

#473:  Author: LordoftheNightLocation: Hell PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:41 am
    —
Sounds like a meal.

#474:  Author: ethereal_faunaLocation: USA PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:51 am
    —
*shows up with a basket and a checkered blanket*

The Leader's lap...better not go there. Cool I'll just set up here on the floor.

#475:  Author: OmegaTerra PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:40 am
    —
*Joins Fauna on her checkered blanket*

#476:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:30 pm
    —
lordofthenight wrote:
Sounds like a meal.

It is a meal, Lordy. LOL.

#477:  Author: Stubby PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:37 am
    —
An interesting though occurred to me earlier.

Now, I could be way off on this one, since I'm not totally sure what the Emfilkar are, nor how the spell works, but....

From what I can see, the Emfilkar are basically magic junkies - they are hooked on using their magic, getting a buzz out of the act of casting, and this goes on until they push too far and burn out all their skill, or until they get lost in their own heads and don't bother with minor annoyances like eating.

From what I can also see, Norral's new spell alows him to draw the magical power out of a (live) victim, right up to the point where they cannot use magic any more themselves.

So... what would happen if he were to use it on an Emfilkar?

I get the definite impression, from the recent chapter with his eraser squad's discomfort, and the earlier passing mentions about Trengin's close approach and return, that, if you could convince (or prevent) an Emfilkar not to use magic - for however brief a time - that it may be possible to then reason with the potentially sane former mage inside, and perhaps bring them back, with their magic still intact.

Just one pencil's musings and random scribblings.

#478:  Author: RavenwingLocation: Virginia PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:19 pm
    —
Hmm. Interesting an interesting thought Stubby. I would like to see what the answer to that idea would be.

#479:  Author: SmeeLocation: UK PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:35 pm
    —
Very interesting Stubby Smile

We know that by the time we get to BttE times that Emflikar can be sorted and become Jomakar as Yahoo is, although of course neither Norral nor Trengin know such things.

Just to clarify, Emflikar are more than hooked on using magic. They are hooked on the pleasure magics that Jakeen almost got stuck in when he was playing in the inn for the first time. Pleasure magics fill their body with such ecstasy that, as you mentioned, such minor annoyances like eating become insignificant.

Becoming Emflikar can happen in two ways. By deliberately casting pleasure magics and then not stopping in time. Or by being violently stripped of power like happened to Norral's team. In the latter, they can escape their fate by tolerating the pain until some trace of their powers recharge.

#480:  Author: SmeeLocation: UK PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:43 am
    —
Hey Everybody

Chapter 14b has just been posted here. Smile

Sorry for the delay everyone, but I'll make it up to you. Wink

Happy discussion and thanks for playing Smile

City of IF -> The Time Before

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 8 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  :| |:
Page 12 of 16