Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
IFQ Issue #26 Special Election Edition Nov. 2009

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Info Street - FAQs and Guides to the City -> IFquirer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Amichan
Treasurer

Topics: 18
Location: RL:Roseboro, NC./ IF: Retuning from a long journey in the land of OFF

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: IFQ Issue #26 Special Election Edition Nov. 2009 Reply with quote

Bringing you the news the old fashioned way!

Smee now 3 times Mayor!

Despite predictions for a heated election, Smee retains the Mayor’s seat unchallenged. This is a surprising turn of events as many Ifians have started to migrate back in to the city and it was presumed that someone may try and challenge him this election. The IQ cites that guards from Smeebay may have instilled some fear over the city and scared off any would-be opponents.

The IQ was able to steal a few seconds of the mayors time as he was paraded through the city while many citizens hurled tomatoes and other items during his acceptance speech.

Smee:….So dust off those notepads, and tell us your news.
Plug in the keyboards, and coax out your muse.
The fire is burning, and the armchairs are in place.
Gather up for stories of pirates, dragons, and aliens in space.
Whatever your tale, we want to hear.
And vote on your decision points whilst sharing a beer.
The city is yours, lets go out to play.
And relax in the Inn at the end of the day….

What is that samurai doing here isn’t it bad enough you messed up Toe jam 2009?

Kang: Sorry mayor but we need some answers….

Smee: Fine Fine but make it quick

Kang: We're you surprised that no one decided to challenge you this term?

Smee: Little surprised perhaps, but probably good for them they didn't challenge me. Mwahahaah... erm, yeah cut that last bit.

Kang: As you continue to be mayor, what can we expect from you and Crunchyfrog over the next six months?

Smee: We've initiated a lot of changes in the last month, so we will be looking forward to seeing some fruits to those labors, as well as enjoying a bit of life in the city. Coming up in November IF can look forward to the first of our new Spotlight Competitions. Stay tuned to learn more nearer the time.

Once again Congrats to Smee for retaining the Mayorship for a 3rd time!

Nanowrimo 2009

For those who don't know, Nanowrimo stands for National Novel Writing Month and happens every year in November.

Over the years, quite a few Ifians have partaken in this massive marathon to write a novel in a month.

This 50,000 word race starts at 12:00:01 am on November 1st and ends on November 30 at 11:59:59. The objective is simple: WRITE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!!! It’s all about quantity not quality (kind of like Smee’s next 6 months in office)

The IQ has learned that scissorkitty, Fats_Masterson, Mirel, our Newest IFian ChoKiba, Halfemptyhero and Kalanna Rai have stepped up to the challenge this year whilst veteran Ifian Emperor, with two Nano titles under his belt already, is taking a break.

The IQ and the City commend them on their efforts and offer our best wishes in their attempt to bag a Nano, with an extra shout out to Mirel who's Nano-ing for the 7th time!

To see what has been said about this years Nanowrimo check out the Thread!!

Welcoming back some long-lost members!

The city has not only been polished up from the new members sharing their ideas but a lot of dust has been whisked away as our older members have started to return.

The IQ has learned that scissorkitty, Novelest_Ninjagirl (aka Noni) Sparta12, and Lilith have all made a hasty return back to the city at last ( and about time as well )

Spotlight Details Released!

In last month's IFQuirer we brought to you in an exclusive feature that the old Storygame of the Month contest is being replaced in November. Unlike the Storygame of the Month competition where candidates were nominated and seconded, the new Spotlight candidates are identified based on the quality of their writing, decision points and frequency of chapters, and are 'stickied' at the top of their Storygame forums.

The winner of the competition will receive their own forum for the story, a free Platinum level Ad in the IFQuirer and the chance to represent the City of IF on its home page!

If you want to know how to have your Storygame stickied and qualify for the Spotlight competition, or get a sneak preview of who's in the running for November's contest, check out Mayor Smee's Press Release on what you need to do.

The First Spotlight Competition will be held on November 1st.

Trade Windows, by Smee
If it's too good to be true, it probably is. The cold space of the New Eden Galaxy
has taught this time and time again. But for Targh, the lesson has a life of its own,
one intent on snaring him in its web. With limited resources, and too few choices,
can Targh escape unharmed?

Voted Storygame of the Month, Feb 2009.

IQ Classifieds: Advertise your Storygame!
Contact Kang for moreinfo

Finding the favorites

Have you ever had it where you found a real good Storygame and went back later and struggled through all the paperwork to find it again? Well you don’t have to anymore.

You can bookmark it as a favorite! Here’s how:

At the top of every Storygame there is a link that says “Add to my favorites” clicking this will allow you to track this story in your favorites and avoid all the red tape of searching for it!

You can track your favorites as well as see how many others have that story as their favorite by clicking on the “Favorites” at the top of the page. Please note that the favorites are reported in the IQ (either in the Top 5’s or in the Metro News section) so if you want a story to get a little Notoriety make that bad boy one of your favorites!

The story will stay in your favorites for 28 days unless you renew it as a favorite (so authors if you see your favorites count dropping don’t hesitate to remind your readers to re-add your story or take out an ad to help boost your numbers and get maximum exposure!)

Note: Authors that have their own forum will have their favorites renewed automatically providing they post a new chapter within 28 days

SoaP results:

This Months Story of a Picture featured 5 solid stories and 1 poem (which after this month His Mayorness has declared no more poems ) For the whole month these stories battled it out until one became the victor…It was an untitled submission but taking 43% of the vote here is the winning SoaP Entry by Traveller

The wind rushed through my prematurely white hair, and yet I held on. All around me my brothers were taking to the air, their shouts of laughter filling the space around us with a sense of gaiety not heard in these parts in nigh on a year.

And yet I still hung on.

The wind was tearing at me now, screaming at me to release my grip, trying to send me into the air with my brothers to ride the currents but I was not ready to let go. Not quite yet.

And so I held on.

I held on not out of fear. We all grew knowing this day would come. I held on in anticipation. Every moment of my short life had led to this point and I intended on savouring every moment of it. My brothers did not understand me. They did not see the point of waiting, of letting the anticipation build, and as I watched them drift away, bobbing up and down as they rode out across the field I knew it was time.

I let go.

The wind took ahold of me and ripped me from my perch, throwing me violently up. Fear washed over me. I was tossed from side to side, struggling to get my bearings, wondering why I had let this moment take such a hold on me.

And then suddenly, just as suddenly as it had started, the turbulence of my flight ended and I leveled out.

By now, most of my brothers had landed and so I had the sky to myself, just like I planned. The sun was lighting up the world in a way I had never seen before. The contrast between light and shadow was so intense the whole feild seemed to appear in black and white. The blue sky was so inviting I tried to climb higher and higher, looking down on the world I thought I knew and realizing it was a stranger to me. All the while, the wind whispered in my ear, describing the scene before me in such stunning detail that I was speechlessly wishing that it would never end.

But, like the summer, all good things must end. The wind whispered to me that our time was over and She slowly started guiding me to the field floor, both of us silent now in our grief. I landed softly on the dusty ground as the wind rushed on her way, without another word. Silently, I sat, feeling the dust and dirt collect around my leg, securing me in place for the long winter ahead.

Congrats to Traveller! ( 1000F for the win )

To see the other submissions check out the October SoaP page in the Writers Arena

Storygame Debuts:

The Experimental District of the city came across some Idearium and has belched out three new Storygames for our reading pleasure they are…

Eddies Big Secret by Javert;

And two untitled stories by Kang and betrayedyetloved

Help get these stories rockin’ to the top!!!

Kicking up dust:

The Idearium has been slowly trickling back into the city and….

Crunchyfrog’s Magicians Touch,
Smee’s Trade Windows,
Fathairyape’s The Weatherwarden
DeadManWalking’s The Hunt
And
Resio’s Sector 17
Have all found new life are back up and running! Feel free to check these out!!!!

Thunderbirds Heavy Metal has fallen to a tie for 4th with Resio’s Sector 17 with 2 votes While Crunchyfrog’s Magicians Touch, has joined Sky Island by Deadmanwalking, and Trade Windowsby Smee in a tie for the top spot each with 5 votes each.

Summary:

Smee Hits the mayor hat trick while Ifians are
on the move cranking out new stories and
restarting ones that were thought to be dead.
SoaP and Nano help pave the way for the
New Spotlight competition.

External Classifieds: Want a link to an external website?
Contact Kang for more details.

Census and Economy:

Since the last issue of the IQ the population has risen 24
Notable additions : ChoKiba and Tikanni Corazon Welcome to the City
The ASS (Anti spam squad) reports that the Deadweight average is at 11.3 %

Happy IF Day!!!!:
Yes we have Ifians Celebrating an IF day in the month of November. Most Notably is Emperor celebrating 5 years on November 2nd For the complete list for this month and for previous IF Days check out our If day Announcement page

Fatback Index (FBIA)
The City has found a reason to spend a few of their coveted fatbacks as the Index fell 42.99 (-1.93%) to end this months session at 2178.19

See News Happening??? Contribute to

Last edited by Amichan on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work, Kang!

Mmm. Think I'm going to have to get an ad in for the next one... Very Happy
Emperor
Citizen

Topics: 29

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A first time for me, I was mentioned twice. My notoriety continues to rise. Just as any f.y.i, I chose not to do nano this year not because I failed on my third attempt - I chose not to do it because I simply have proven what I needed to with two successes and I don't need the stress this year.
Amichan
Treasurer

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thank you for the Heads up Emperor i don't think i listed you in the Nano feature and if i did i will edit that to reflect that you are not in Nano
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incorrect. I am again attempting Nano even as we speak. *shakes head* I said I failed last year, which only motivates me to try harder this year.

"Music makes you braver."
Amichan
Treasurer

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the notification i will make sure to correct it
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> IFquirer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: