Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
IFQ #27 Year Ending Issue

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Info Street - FAQs and Guides to the City -> IFquirer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Amichan
Treasurer

Topics: 18
Location: RL:Roseboro, NC./ IF: Retuning from a long journey in the land of OFF

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: IFQ #27 Year Ending Issue Reply with quote

Bringing you the news the old fashioned way!

IF Gets its Wiki on!!

The IFQ has now established a Wiki in the IFki for those that wish to dive into the museum of past histories and forgotten knowledge. Those interested in reading the IFki for the city or the IFQ Ifki can be checked out Here

Long lost members return bearing gifts!

Claims that recent sightings of Shady Stoat were a mirage caused by the Wizards of THE creating rifts in the City Structure were dispelled this month, when the Stoat returned bringing gifts of Storygame and Competition in the form of The Liar, the Snitch and the Wardrobe and the quirky Prompt Plus. Speculation that our Deputy Mayor Crunchyfrog is another incarnation of the Stoat still abounds despite both denying the allegation.

This month also saw the return of Guyron, a veteran Interfabler who found his way back to the city after a record 5 year hiatus. Guyron brings his new Linear epic Just Like You Imagined.

And finally, much excitement and catching up was done when Geek_girl72 returned and resurrected the much loved Storygame I don't believe in Fate. We welcome them all back to the city and wish them a long and happy stay.

Spotlight Won by Heavy Metal

After a close Battle Heavy Metal by Thunderbird emerged as the winner of the November Spotlight Competition. Klafarius’ Biv-Wacked put up a great fight but Heavy Metal pulled away in the final week of polling and cruised to a solid victory. Congrats to both authors on a good competition. Both stories are a great read - feel free to check them out.

The IFQ was able to secure an interview with Thunderbird shortly after his victory.

Q: How did you come up with the idea for your story?

In my down time away from the city I had been considering ways to ressurect the stories that I had previously been writing here. I've seen it happen before that an author returns after a long break only to find that when they try to pick up where they left off, even where the story was of excellent quality, the active members in the city had changed to such a degree that they got little to no response. It's a lot to expect for a story to just pick up where it left off and still have readers, given that those who are new to the tale see so many chapters before them if they wish to catch up (and we all know how much you can miss with synopses.)

So, in wishing to ressurect an old tale, I decided I should start a new story that will intersect with the old. The SG I wish to bring back online had a loose end, a character I wanted to introduce into the story at some point that had yet to be injected. So I figured I could start a story for that character and when the paths crossed I could pause on the currently running story and bring back the old one re-edited chapter at a time so that everyone who had or had not yet read the old story could follow along with it as if it were a currently developing tale, which in some ways, it will be.

Heavy Metal introduces this new character, Walt, into the backstory of my core SG, Superhuman.

Q: What are your plans for the story? Where do you hope the plot goes in your story?

Well, I don't wish to reveal tooooo much given that I'm hoping the unexpected twists are what will keep my audience reading. That said, I'm really looking forward to some of the upcoming chapters where Walt finally reaches his goal of achieving spaceflight. Mind you, I don't intend to rewrite history here... we all know the X-prize was won by a company other than Walt and crew, but there will be a clear reason for this.

Furthermore, as revealed in my last answer, I intend for Heavy Metal to intersect with one of my old tales and once that happens, it will take on a whole new direction. At this stage of the story, I'm laying the foundational groundwork for the longterm plot. Walt will end up with a grudge over all that has been transpiring and will be meeting with another who's grudge against the same parties goes even deeper still. That said, they'll have some other things to be concerned about before they can address these issues, adventures to hone their newfound abilities as partners.

Q: are there any other Projects that you have running or any Projects that you may be close to launching

This is a phase of a much larger project which some IFians may remember as Superhuman. I've had a lot of requests to pick up that tale again, and while I really want to do so, I need to do some file recovery on a broken laptop to do it as seamlessly as I'd like to.

Either way, I WILL return to tell that epic tale, but I figured I should complete the backstory first before picking up the main. It's kinda like J.R.R. Tokein finishing 'The Hobbit' before delving further into the Ring trilogy.

I'm hoping Superhuman players will follow Heavy Metal to gain insight into the current plot their characters are suspended in, while understanding that the time for their characters' glorious returns is approaching.

This tale should give meaning to much of the underlying plotwork in Superhuman that has yet to fully reveal itself still.

As for projects that shall soon be launching, I intend to write a Prologue for HM soon and Heavy Metal is rapidly approaching the juncture with the aforementioned story I mean to resurrect, which I suppose is a new project in the works in and of itself.

City gets Competition Fever

Along with Spotlight hitting the City a few other competitions have been held in the past month. Short and Curly has wrapped up but check out Smee's Character Experiment and Shady Stoat's Prompt Plus and see where your competitive juices fit in.

Heavy Metal, by Thunderbird
An elderly man on a quest to achieve his lifelong dream
of flying into outer space finds a lot more than he bargains for along the way. Where spirituality and technology collide,
you find: Heavy Metal.
Voted Spotlight Competition Winner November 2009

IQ Classifieds: Advertise your Storygame!
Contact Kang for more info

An Outbreak of New Storygames!

While Skiffyville celebrates its recent Spotlight win, new storygames have been breaking through the vines and weeds in the Fantasy Forest and exploding through the General Fiction and Experimental laboratory roof. Check 'em out while they're still new!

Treasury hits 4 years!

Our trusty Treasury has been in service for 4 years! Despite Mayor Smee's abolition of taxes the Treasury still accounts for 25% of the City’s Fables, and still nobody knows where the keys are.

There's a 3-way tie at the top this week with Thunderbird's Heavy Metal Smee's Trade Windows and Crunchyfrog’s Magicians Touch all battling out for first place with 6 favorites apiece. Alexandrie's Fairie Premonitions, Kang's Wild and Free, Reiso's Sector 17, Chinaren's Give Me and Stoaty's Liar, Snitch and the Wardrobe are tied for fourth place with 2 faves each.

Summary:

Nano Winds down and other competitions heat up. Oldies but goldies make their return only to see Spotlight crown its first winner

External Classifieds: Want a link to an external website?
Contact Kang for more details.

Census and Economy:

The ASS reports that a Dead weight sweep was made taking out 32 dead masses but even with the sweep population has increased by 4
Notable additions: Tatkret Sos, Judge Frollo, Trenda08, and Spowerq Welcome to the City!

The ASS (Anti spam squad) reports that the Deadweight sweep effectively dropped the deadweight average to 5.7 %

Happy IF Day!!!!:
There were 8 that celebrated an IF day in December most notably is Muaddib!

For other IF days check
out our If day Announcement page

Fatback Index (FBIA)
New members joining in have helped to bring the city to a positive note as the Fat back gained 6.43 (+.29%) to end this months session at 2178.19

See News Happening??? Contribute to
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Very Happy
Shady Stoat
Elder

Topics: 76

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*does the smug dance* I made headlines! I'm a superstar!

*hides from the paparazzi*
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done there, Kang! Cool
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the excellent coverage Kang!

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*snaps Stoat doing the dance, then holds the camera aloft*

This will make me millions!

Well done, Kang.

Tea Cures All.
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> IFquirer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: