Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
IFQuirer Editorship Comp... Congrats to Tayfinch and Pope!

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Info Street - FAQs and Guides to the City -> IFquirer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: IFQuirer Editorship Comp... Congrats to Tayfinch and Pope! Reply with quote

Roll up, roll up!

The IFQuirer needs YOU!

Fancy yourself as a journalist? Well, here's the chance - the IFQuirer offices are holding an Editorship Competition!

The Challenge

Write an article for the IFQuirer, covering any aspect of IF. Articles should be between 200 and 500 words, and may contain pictures if you wish.

The Prize

The winning article will be published as the headline article in the IFQuirer issue #29. In addition, there will be a 500 fable prize, and a chance to run IFQuirer issue #30 if you want.

And that's not all...

As part of the challenge, each entrant will be assigned one of the more regular features (such as Top 5 SGs, IFday announcements, fake advertisements, etc) in the IFQ. These articles will be guaranteed a spot in the next issue. (Assistance with these can be given if needed)

Timelines:

Post here if you'd like to take up the challenge before November 10th.

Articles and Features must be submitted before November 24th.

Voting will take place between November 24th and December 1st.

IFQ #29, containing the winning entry, plus features written by all entrants will be posted during the first week in December!

Last edited by Crunchyfrog on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:51 am; edited 9 times in total
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone brave enough?

Very Happy

Items

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to I am a journalist! So I won't mind doing that for you guys! Smile If I may have permission to do so.
Emperor
Citizen

Topics: 29

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to do this, I've been looking at the Ifquirer for a while now, wanting to somehow contribute to it. Alas, my timing is hell once again as I have too much on my plate right now. Don't even know why I posted this, I guess I wanted some whine with all this cheese.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay! We have two entrants so far - I'll leave it open until after the weekend for any other entrants. Very Happy
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: *Bounce* Reply with quote

OH! ME ME!! *Jumps up and down, waveing franticly* I'LL DO IT! PICK MEEE!!!!!!!!!

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I mis-read Emperor's but we still have two entrants so far. Any more?
tayfinch
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: I'll give it a whirl Reply with quote

You said we can still enter through the weekend, da? Sign me up!

The SPEEDGAME is BACK ON!! I need some readers to come and vote to get it going again! Looking forward to storygaming with you!
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly is!

Okay, so far we have

Barking_Basenji_Splitpin
Pope
Tayfinch

Any more? Very Happy
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay! We have 3 entrants - they will be PM'd their instructions. Watch this space for a vote in the next couple of weeks!

Items

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll send the article tonight CF! Tomorrow is voting time.
Amichan
Treasurer

Topics: 18
Location: RL:Roseboro, NC./ IF: Retuning from a long journey in the land of OFF

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know i havnt been on in a while so good luck who ever wins it .. you have some big shoes to fill.. if your not sure what i mean check out the IFki about the history of the IFQ.

I havnt been on lately as there are a lot of RL things going on with me including closing out a divorce and possibly moving within the next year .. i do miss you guys a lot and will try to check in on occasion
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missing you too, Kang! Good to see you checking in. *waves* Very Happy
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 3 entries have been received!

Poll will be up today - watch this space! Very Happy
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so, here was the Challenge....

Write an article for the IFQuirer, covering any aspect of IF. Articles should be between 200 and 500 words, and may contain pictures if you wish.

Three bold contenders stepped forward and all have submitted some fine pieces. Now it's time to vote...

Please read each of these entries carefully, and vote on which you think would make the best IFQuirer leading article. The winning lead article may be subject to formatting and tweaking in the editing stages of the next issue, so concentrate on the content.

While you're all voting, our three contestants will be working with me on the regular features, which will appear along with the winning lead article.

Voting will last for approximately 10 days.

Enjoy! Very Happy

Quote:
Two-Word-At-A-Time in IF

Added recently by our King, Key, are several Two-Word-At-A-Time stories in Skiffiville and the Fantasy Forest. Taking the idea that, a story doesn't always have to be about some one person's ideas, but a community built tale, with simple two words bricks as building blocks.

I asked a few of the more frequent visitors to the T.W.A.A.T. topics to give me a little insight into their thoughts on these unique Story Games. Here are some responses.

When asked the question: What about Two-Word-At-A-Time stories do you find appealing, author Vikas Muralidharan replied “I think the idea about writing a whole story with all the other IFians appeals to me the most. Its not like the other SGs, Here you have much more interaction and participation which is completely outstanding.”

When asked: What are your opinions on the whole concept of them, author Thunderbird said “They lack true story quality by not being vision driven, but that's really not what they are about. Instead, they seem to appeal based on the unexpected twists and turns they take, whilst somehow retaining some semblance of cohesion. This aspect of them is really quite fascinating, especially when you have a great group running them, as I feel we do right now.”

And finally, when asked: What do you try to achieve with your two words, authors Key, Vikas Muralidharan, and Thunderbird answered as follows.

“In many cases you can't make anything happen in two words, all you can do is say "of the" or something like that. But when I have a little more freedom, I try to use an action word to make something happen. And the thing I try to make happen is whatever seems to follow most from what's gone before.” -Key

“There's no doubt in my mind that with my two words, I keep the story moving in an interesting direction and want them to be epic.” -Vikas Muralidharan

“The most logical conclusion so far. There are some moments where you have some plot control based on what's been said up to now, and if you're watching closely, you can capture those moments.” -Thunderbird

As common face around the T.W.A.A.T. water cooler myself, I must say it gives me a great sense of satisfaction when I can, with just my two words, push the story in a direction I feel it never would have gone without my little nudge. Makes me feel better on those days I'm too exhausted after work for much activity in the fine City of IF.

When you think about it, all stories are just a mix of words grouped together to form a cohesive idea, and for an entire community to come together with that singular goal in mind, it warms the heart to know that such a thing is possible. Covering the subjects of Romance, Horror, Science Fiction, and Fantasy, any type of writer can find a little bite out of their busy day to jot down a couple of words to keep the story rollin'.

Quote:
I'd like this to be a gentle article, that makes a few practical points and upsets no one. Gives encouragement and guidance to those writers out there thinking of teaching one day or passing their traits and teachings over to others.

Sometimes for a writer love is most important other times, hate fuels them which makes an impact in writing skills. Hate for politicians is often known as liberty and in an idealistic world you'd wish there was no rules. But fact is this is a hard world and a writer is like the paper they write on.

Well, for your story there could be up to 17 options, and 32 plots. Errors in thinking is the way the writer is influenced by others or him/herself
http://blog.beliefnet.com/freshliving/argument.jpg

First off the errors in thinking is Partialism, Time scale, Egocentricity, arrogance and conceit, Initial judgment, adversary thinking, ego-involvement, magnitude error and finally extremes.

Errors in thinking: Most people suffer from each of these errors, its nothing to be ashamed of. How to solve it??

Partialism: Error in perception. Thinker is only looking at part of the situation. It is an error often used by politicians or by anyone else who has to make a point. They rely on logic. Intentional sometimes unintentional

Time scale: This is a part of partialism. Its when two are correct but argues on a different time scale. One argues that he wants to leave school early because he wants to earn money sooner, the teacher argues that lessons can give him more money to earn in later future.

Egocentricity: They see a situation only in terms of how it affects them personally. Their unable to see the rest of the situation. Widen your perception...

Arrogance and conceit: If the person has a logical answer why should they look furter?The result is when people lack imagination.

Initial judgement: Logical errors in thinking, both might be wrong or right, depends on the argument. It's arrogance to assume there is only two sharply polorized positions on an issue, one is wrong and right.

Solving the problem in thinking:

Read a few books and take in the voice of the writer, try and see the flow of the story. Now compare it with your story's first chapter. The compare it with an edited phase and an unedited part. Try to see your own faults before exclaiming an other person's faults. Try to be clear as possible and try to be kind and gentle all the same, while making a point and impact in a person's life. I take it you've had times where you argued or used sarcasm, look at my writing style, does it tell you I'm making a point, or does it tell you that I'm straying from my path.

You see the first article and the second, totally different, 1# that is after I've read “Teaching in Thinking” book. And 2# after I've stayed away from it for a couple of days. Teaching yourself thinking skills can become a part of you. So Take this tip with you, but don't use it against anyone.

Quote:
“Do you even know where you are, kid?”

When I first popped into existence here at the city, things were much different than they are now. It was a tougher neighborhood back then. I started out like a lot of people did: commenting in the Fantasy Forest, taking some long walks down what we now call Linear Lane, and easing my way into things. One day, as fate would have it, I was invited to join a secret group which had its own, secret webpage full of secretive secrets. I was amazed that such things had grown up in the City without my knowledge... without any obvious traces.

Voicing my surprise to another member in a long and detailed PM, I received a one-line message in return:
“Lol... Do you know even where you are, kid?”

His point was that, while I'd been around the boards and made myself comfortable with many of the city's aspects, I knew little to nothing of its history. I knew little to nothing of what had come before.

Since those early days much has changed for me, personally: I was forced to leave the City and only re-registered two years ago under my old username. Upon my return I found that the city's image is cleaner, sleeker, and that new members continue to be ignorant of the history they've taken upon themselves.

Do you new members know where you are?

Have you ever heard of the “Head Eaters”? I didn't think so. Scary group, they were. Scarier, however, by far that after their breakup they're still lurking among us... Somewhere...

Have you ever heard of the City of IF Communist Party? Of course not. No, not with Chinaren and his lackeys writing the history books.

Speaking of him, have you read much about Chinaren Inc. and its shady subsidiaries? Its cloning vats? Its bank? The Arena of Death?

Here's my advice to you: get on the IFki (that's the City of If wiki) and read all you can. Some really good history is there, and not all of it has been scrubbed clean. Find out as much as you can about these seemingly immortals which run the city. Learn about the power struggles and epic battles which have defined the city today.

Armed with such knowledge, you will be ready to truly make a mark in this place.

You will know “where you are.”
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... now that is three entirely different writing styles! Some great work there!

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true, TB. It's nice to have a variety, isn't it? The first one is the most journalistic (that's a word right?). The second one doesn't seem appropriate for the IFQuirer, but may be better as a post in the Technical Institute. The third one is very interesting and feeds the lore of the City.

The first and third are the ones I need to pick from. The first one does a better job of providing news from various sources and it is more neutral (which is appropriate). The third is steeped with opinion and mulls over the old ways, but it does it in a really interesting way. I would like to see what else the third author has to say about Old IF.

I've decided to vote for the entry that does what I think the IFQuirer should do. The IFQuirer is meant to highlight new events and storygames that may be of interest to the City. Since it serves everyone, the author should maintain as much neutrality as possible, using outside sources for information. The first entry succeeds at those objectives very well and is actually the only entry that does.

Welcome To Purgatory - current storygame
Please visit my Library of completed works.
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, Lebs... couldn't help but feel you voiced every minute detail of my opinion on this matter to a T! That was my exact thought process here too.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...

Items

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry that I'm not perfect... Maybe I'm better suited at the IT section... I'm withdrawing my article... It certainly does help people, but I think the if quirier needs a direction in which it can grow.... Very Happy
tayfinch
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Crunchy, when are you closing the poll?

The SPEEDGAME is BACK ON!! I need some readers to come and vote to get it going again! Looking forward to storygaming with you!
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poll is set to automatically time out after 10 days - so that'll be Wednesday or Thursday depending on where you are in the world.

Still plenty of time for those votes to come in! Very Happy
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 24

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt so happy when I cast the tie-breaking vote!! Wink

The eyes are useless if the mind is blind.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Tie Breaker Reply with quote

Not so broken now though.....

To Be A Knight
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple more days to vote folks - and it's still very close! Shocked
tayfinch
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchy, I wanted to tell you earlier, but your holiday avatar rocks.

... Man! Still so close... This waiting thing is going to drive me nuts!

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Thanks Tayfinch!

Okay, a little announcement here - unfortunately we ran into some problems with the poll, and after speaking with the contestants it was agreed that it would be fairest to everyone to restart the vote.

As Barking_Basenji_Splitpin has withdrawn from the competition, this poll is now between Pope and Tayfinch, and will run for another 10 days.

Thanks to everyone who voted in the last poll, and thanks to the contestants for agreeing to re-poll.

The poll is re-running as of now - good luck to both! Very Happy
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll's tied at the moment... and less than 48 hours to go. Poll expires on Friday or Saturday depending on where you are in the world, so if you've not voted, hurry! Very Happy
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head Eaters never die, they just go AWOL.

And I thought I'd broken the poll for you, but it seems someone else did that first, so instead...I tied it again. My bad.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
tayfinch
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryptic and well spoken, LOTN : )

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 339

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems like hard work. Why don't you just let the two remaining people share the load?
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Yeah Reply with quote

Yeah, why not put both our articals in if everyone loves them so much?

To Be A Knight
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Staggers out of the frozen wastes back into the world of virtual internet-ness*

Poll is closed... *looks around* - er, guess you knew that.

And.... It's a tie! Ah, you knew that too. Blush

Sorry for being AWOL for the last few days - seasonal commitments and unexpected but still very seasonal weather has kept me away from all keyboards for the past week or so.

There is nothing between these two excellent entries, they both deserved to win, and I think that the tie reflects that. So, they will both feature in the Christmas IFQuirer - which, like the blimmin' buses, trains and postal services on these islands where I live will be fashionably late.

Tayfinch's contributions are ready to go, and I just have to sort something out with Pope... but expect the new issue very soon. Smile

Congratulations to both entrants, who will both be 500 fables richer, and each will have the option to edit a future IFQuirer edition if they'd like.

Well done! Clapping

Which article should lead the next IFQuirer issue?
Two-Word-at-a-time in IF
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Do You even know where you are, kid?
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 12
Who Voted: Chinaren, Crunchyfrog, Ingrothechundyer, Lebrenth, LordoftheNight, PopeAlessandrosXVIII, raerain94, Shillelagh, Smee, tayfinch, Thunderbird, Tikanni Corazon

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> IFquirer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: