Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
IFQ Issue #31

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Info Street - FAQs and Guides to the City -> IFquirer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: IFQ Issue #31 Reply with quote

Bringing you the News The Old fashioned Way

Election campaigns underway!
Who will be the next mayor?

The City of IF is all abuzz with anticipation and exuberant enthusiasm over the coming election. Questions have been flying around for both candidates and voters alike to try and help voter decide on the best Mayor for IF in the following term. Pose your own questions and thoughts at the 'I have a Question' Thread and let your thoughts be heard!

A word from the candidates.

Story by PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Thinderbird's Words

After some hard searching, Ace reporters Stein and Rover managed to wring a few words from the candidates to the people of IF. First one captured was Thunderbird.

When I joined the City of IF, I took the time to read, in full, Key's vision.

At once, I was hooked. I HAD to try this, not just reading and playing storygames, which was a great deal more interesting than I had initially suspected it would be. I had to put a foot forward and try to write one of these fascinating little tales.

I have long been a roll-player and the concept of storygaming not only appealed to that storytelling side of me, with the interactive element that adds so much to stories, but to the little voice in the back of my head that had always wanted to try it's hand at writing something substantial beyond my few sparse attempts at a novel.

Once I had posted my first chapter, I was overwhelmed with the amount of response I received. I always had to struggle to get anyone to read anything I had written... but not here. I thrived on the environment, thanks to such wonderful members as Smee, Chinaren, Lord of the Night, Ethereal Fauna, Shady Stoat and Muaddib to name just a few. And I was hooked even further.

I quickly began to see what I was writing could become not just a story, but a line of stories. I thrived on the feedback, both positive and constructive and continue to do so today. Now, my most central hopes and dreams are located here.

I fell in love with the city and it's denizens became fast and real friends, and throughout my time here, I've grown to feel IF is much like a big wonderful family, some of whom have earned more trust than most I know in RL.

The city is not great because of the way the forum is arranged. Though it has become far more intricate and sophisticated since I initially joined.

It is not great because the stories are superb, though many of them are just as good as what you would purchase at Borders.

It is not just great because of the ingenious concept that lies behind the genesis of Storygaming as a whole.

It is great because it's members are. It is the reaction the city gives to it's newcomers, returning IFians, and longtime standards alike that makes the city exceed the expression 'wonderful'.

I was here when Smee took the first election. I've been in and out ever since. I've seen what the city has been since those days to now. I know that the mayor makes a difference. The site can fly without one, but it's only on glide at that point, doomed to peter down to an inactive, frozen husk of what it once was.

Just after the end of my last incarnation, a new series of mayors took the helm, and they invariably disappeared, and did very little overall. As a result, when I returned, I found the city was almost completely inactive.

But I started a new SG anyhow. And though responses were mostly limited to the few remaining die-hard IFians that were still here, I plodded along with the story at a slow pace in hopes that more would return. I read the works of those who were here and activity picked up overall a little.

There came a time, a year or two ago, when I faded a bit from the site, for the first time voluntarily. I was going through a lot in RL and was a bit tired of trying to keep up with everything so I relaxed in hopes that others would fill the gap. Every couple weeks when I would check in, I found the site lagging farther and farther, to the point that it was nearly completely dead and inactive. Even my own SG was left to sit for a time.

I decided I could not bear to let this site vanish. So I determined I would buckle down and get involved again, in every one of the few storygames that were running, even attempt a new experimental SG (which didn't go quite as far as I had hoped but was successful in gathering some interest in the site for a time.)

As I did this, I noticed a couple other names were beginning to join in, posting more responses more regularly. I began posting my chapters more often and began noting that so were others. Before long, some of the older IFians returned and started joining in. New IFians began to stay.

I'm not claiming to have led a revival. Just making a point that I have seen firsthand - we all make a huge difference, individually. The more active we are, the more active we find everyone else becomes. This has a greater power than any administrative position can present. Regardless, I feel that the Mayor has a couple extra tools at his/her disposal.

And as mayor, I will be looking to find more ways to enhance activity than have ever been attempted before - not for the sake of change, nor out of a great disagreement with anything the way they are. But for the sake of continuing the process of measuring what works and what doesn't. Perhaps that is too radical for some who fear change or simply like things to stay reliably 'just as they are'.

But for those of you who love a vibrant, active city, even if you may disagree with some of the decisions I might make, I ask that you back them and allow these concepts some time to determine how effective they can be in enhancing activity. If the city is not ready for this, I will fully understand and sit back and continue to be the active member I have been striving to be.

Although a mayor can make a huge difference, it is all of us that make the site wonderful. It has always been, and will continue to be, that those who react when chapters are posted are the heroes that drive this site.

PopeAlessandrosXVIII's words

Stein the traveled back to his own lab only to find this editor pawing through his work. After a few good whacks with a lead pipe, this editor finally came up with something to say.

As many of you know, I'm fairly new to The City of IF. Most of you have seen me at one time or another haunting the Inn, or throwing little comments and criticisms at the end of one of your story games. Because of this, I feel that I know, even some of you older IFians, rather well.

When my friend told me about this idea of “story gaming”, I almost took her head off. A part of me couldn't imagine giving anyone sway in how I write my stories. It was a horrifying thought. I told her again and again, “It's not a real story if it doesn't all come from the author. That goes to show how much of a fool I was, and not that long ago.

She finally convinced me to read a story game. I read the two chapters that had been posted, and there was a poll. When I threw my vote in and not a day later saw a new chapter following my decision, my interest was piqued.

It made me wonder about my own talents as a writer. Could I really do it? Could I really let others decide the coarse of my imagination? So I started. Many of you know my first decision point was abysmally simple; North, South, East, or West essentially. I wasn't ready to let go of my control yet. But when I began seeing responses, others' thought on something I'd written, in less than a day? The interest was so new to me....

Before I knew it, I was ready to let go of that control, thanks to the people here on IF. The people, few at the time, boosted not only my moral, but my confidence. My imagination went wild, and I ended up starting another Story Game not too long after. The feeling elicited by this wonderful place gave me a renewed sense of determination. Because of this feeling, when I noticed people talking about how few people were still around, I felt the call.

I went on a rampage though IF, posting on anything I found interesting, inactive or not. I had no idea if it would help, but at the time, it was all I could do. I got a few thanks from grateful authors who had fallen behind in their writing and appreciated the nudge. This made my heart swell. I had made a difference. In the place that had already given me so much in a short amount of time, I had contributed in my own small way.

That feeling has held true every day for me here on IF. The urge to help IF live and keep moving forward. This job as editor was my first big step in making this happen in my mind. By receiving an actual duty in this wonderful city, I became even more active, and felt even more connected to this place.

I look around today at the people, both old and new, and wonder what would happen to them if this place fell. Some would just move on with their lives, but several I know, myself included, would be devastated. This realization frightens me. So I put myself forward as a candidate. My heart tells me Thunderbird would be a perfect Mayor. In truth, I didn't think I'd have any backing, being a newbie, but I was wrong. The kind words from both my opponent and you denizens of IF has bolstered my confidence.

I have many ideas for the future of this fine city, and I'm sure not all of which will be viewed with a favorable eye. I do not seek to change IF, but to open it to more of the world. I am will, by any means necessary, to keep IF up and running, for all those here who feel as I do, towards this amazing place. Body and soul, I am comited to being an exemplary citizen, and if elected, Mayor, here in The City of IF.

In this place where the lust for reading, and the lust for writing, meet in perfect harmony, I will give my all to anything and everything that will allow it to grow, and more forward towards the bright horizon of imagination.

Remember to vote for your favorite candidate, election poll coming soon!

Murder in the Intergalactic Garden was created to be a challenge for the mystery enthusiasts of IF. The main storyline can be read like a normal storygame, but also included is nearly 100 supplemental posts that have been cross-referenced with the story to provide more clues. The readers have uncovered several important clues already, but they have a feeling there’s something staring them in the face that they just haven’t figured out yet. If you aren’t following the investigation already, you might want to take a look to see if you can find what they missed.

Murder in the Intergalactic Garden is set on a spacecraft that looks like a floating island. The characters that populate the craft have become paranoid from the quiet darkness of space, and the murder only seems to confirm their fears, whether they are of soldiers gone mad, robots revolting against their masters, or strange alien creatures with a taste for human flesh. The chief security officer, John Dunaway, never could have guessed the things that have already happened and he can only hope to survive long enough to see where Fate is steering him next.

Thoughts of the young and old.

Let us leap inside the minds of one of our older, and one of our youngest, Citizens of IF. Lurking around the IF Only Inn, Stein managed to snag a couple of interviews. One from one of our older members, and one from a newcomer to our fine City.

LordoftheNight Interview – An old one's words

Stein: Alright then. First off, thank you for taking the time for this.

LordoftheNight: I suppose you may ask your questions, if you really must Stein. Do try to be quick about it though, would you?

Stein: Being relatively new myself, I find it difficult to gauge changes from before my time. So, let's start with the activity. I hear it's much lower as of late. Can you think of any reasons why that it?

LordoftheNight: Well...I would say that several members of the City - often those that were seen as being 'big' names back when I joined, have moved on, or are no longer around as much. And while there have been replacements, maybe they are simply not as active as those before them? I could not say how much the actual activity has been affected though - I remember times when the Game forums were the most popular, but now they seem fairly scarce.

Stein: Thank you. Now, an easier question. What has been you all time favorite story game since joining IF, and why?

LordoftheNight: My favorite storygame...difficult question. Probably I would say one of Chinaren's, but that may well be because they are particularly memorable, due to the...*ahem* capitalist nature of Chinaren Inc. The original Greed perhaps? There have been several fine stories over the years though, so I would not like to commit myself to just one.

Stein: Hahah, I see. What story game did you first write?

LordoftheNight: The first storygame I started here was A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi...and further chapters are still planned.

Stein: Could you tell us a bit about it?

LordoftheNight: In hindsight, using a Latin title was...slightly unfortunately, as no-one can ever recall the correct spelling. Loosely translated, it says 'Caught between a Cliff and Wolves'...or, caught between a rock and a hard place, for the modern adaptation. It is a fantasy story, following a half-breed rogue who would really rather have avoided the entire thing.

Stein: Interesting. Lastly, is their anything you'd like to say to the new aspiring writers here on IF?

LordoftheNight: Just keep on writing, and try not to get bogged down in getting it perfect. That is my main failing, I put too much effort into getting it correct, which then means nothing actually gets written. And listen to the advice of people when they try to help you by criticizing your work.

Stein: Sound advice indeed! *Bows low* I thank you for taking time out of your busy day for this interview. I shall be putting this in the next issue of the IF Quirer. Be sure to stop by and see! *Wanders off with Rover close behind*

LordoftheNight: Yes yes...do send up Smudgey on your way out, would you? The butler has some cleaning to do.

Andolyn Interview – A new face

Stein: Hello there. Do you have a few minutes?

Andolyn: What are we doing?

Stein: I'd like to get an interview for the next issue of the IF Quirer, are you up for it?

Andolyn: Sure!

Stein: Thank you. Rover, sit.

Rover: Wuff *Sits facing Andolyn, a whirring noise coming from his head*

Stein: Ok, now we are ready. First off, how are you today?

Andolyn: I am fabulous! how are you?

Stein: Good good. Now, I'd like to ask, as a new member here, what are your first impressions about our fine city?

Andolyn: I love it! The people are very welcoming, and there are so many places to explore!

Stein: Good to hear. Now, what are you looking for here in IF? Please elaborate.

Andolyn: I really just stumbled across the City when I was looking for something to do. I wasn’t really planning on anything in particular, but thought it might be fun to get in on the action, so to speak. As for what I'm looking for...I'm really not sure. I'm just looking. So far what I've found have been some great new friends with a love of literature and writing. =)

Stein: That's what IF is all about. Now, your first Story Game. Could you tell us a little bit about it? A little...peek into what's here on IF thus far?

Andolyn: Hmm...well, Line of Kavanagh is about a girl on the run from her past. After a year of running, she stumbles upon two young men who instantly become her protectors and best friends. Together, they go on a grand adventure to find out the truth about their homeland, Ardara, and save it from the tyrannical rulers. In it, I took the last three years of my life and turned it into a symbolic representation using the real people that have built me into who I am. I could never thank them enough for all they've done for me, so i decided to tell them how I felt using my skills as a writer. LoK is actually a completed story, but by posting it here in the City as an SG, I hope to get some good feedback from my readers that might spark some new additions to the story before I have it published.

Stein: Or so you think! You never know where a story will go once the IFians get their hands on them! Sounds like a good book. Lastly, Are their and story games that have caught your eye? Any you feel you'll be seeing through to the end?

Andolyn: Well, there are several actually that I've really gotten into...PopeAlessandrosXVIII has a very nice game--Save Grargoth--for which I'm anxiously awaiting the next chapter...and Thunderbird's Heavy Metal has definitely caught my attention. I've only been able to read the first couple of chapters, but so far, I really like it.

Stein: *Bows low* I thank you for your time. Please be sure to check out the next issue of the IF Quirer. Good day. *Wanders off, Rover clicking along behind him*

If Only Wordfind
First person to find all the words, mail me and you shall be rewarded from the IF Treasury!

Wordfind Words:
Zogby
Magicians Touch
Linear Lane
Kang
Is This Me
Idearium
Crunchyfrog
aHEM Guild

Last Month Wordfind Winners!

1st Place: Cyberworm
2nd Place: LordoftheNight
3rd Place: crazybookgal

Heavy Metal- Thunderbird - 7
Nightmares Trilogy - Vishal Muralidharan - 4
Murder in the Intergalactic Garden - Lebrenth - 4
Legion of Soul Breakers - warriorofdoom - 4
SparkleSteps – Tikanni Corazon - 3

Taking first place yet again this month is Thunderbird's Heavy Metal. Following close behind for the second month running is Vishal Muralidharan's Nightmares Trilogy. Keeping up the trend for the top five list is Lebrenth's Murder in the Intergalactic Garden. Shouldering into forth place is warriorofdoom's Legion of Soul Breakers. And last, but not least, Tikanni Corazon's SparkleSteps taking fifth place. All of these fine story games are recommended by this editor.

Top 5 Quick Peek

The ever evolving Heavy Metal continues to stretch the limits of the imagination with it's creative style and intricate cast of characters. Nightmares Trilogy is giving even the most thoughtful person a moment of pause with it's ever shifting plot twists and cold realistic premise. Creating a perfect center of mystery, Murder in the Intergalactic Garden draws you in deep with it's informative links and logic based storyline. Setting you on the other side of the men in black situation, Legion of Soul Breakers gets your inner conspiracy theorist up and running. Still going strong, SparkleSteps stresses the importance of family while pitting it against the responsibility of saving the world.

The Who and When of Story Gaming

The tense and perspective of a story are an important part of both reading and writing of any kind.
A note on Tense. Tense is the when of a story. Present tense is something IS happening, past is something DID happen, and future is something WILL happen.
A note on perspectives. 1st person is where the writer uses the "I" point of view. -I look across an open field-. 2nd person is the "You" point of view. -You look across an open field-. 3rd person is the "He/She/They" point of view. -He/She/They look across an open field-.

Switching between present and past tense can cause confusion for a reader. Changing the point of view can be equally befuddling. So, I asked IFians their opinions and preferences on the matters of Perspective and Tense.

“I don't outright have any problems with any tense or perspective choices the author makes - just like to see them carried through and executed well, which for present tense and 2nd and 3rd person perspectives, can be a bit more difficult.” - Thunderbird

“In storygames, I think there is more use for present tense and second person perspectives than in traditional stories, as part of the point of a storygame is to make the reader feel like they have a role in a story that is actively unfolding.” – Lebrenth

“Second person to me is kind of awkward to read and write. As for the other two perspectives...I don't favor one or the other. I kind of match the perspective to the feel of the story-like his one feels like it should be first but this one has a third feel. If that makes sense, which it probably doesn't. As for the present/past thing- well since all books are pretty much past tense, until now I...uh... I thought it was a kind of rule that it had to be past tense unless it was second person.” – crazybookgal

”I realized this since I started reading books, the fact that present tense is hardly used in books. Like Thunderbird said, It's just hard to write. As for perspective, I have never favored second person. I don't choose between third person and first person though. I use them according to the needs of the plot, and the way the story develops. It would, however, be very annoying if you find inconsistency in perspectives in a story. Shifting between first person and third person should never be done, except in mystery stories.” – Vishal Muralidharan

”I'd have to chime in on the "ugh, second person" bandwagon. There is no escaping the fact that your reader and your protagonist are two entirely different people. Even on something as simple as gender, you've got a 50/50 chance of getting it completely wrong. When you use the second person, you've just got to accept that the reader is going to have to filter through the story as if he were an actor.” – Shillelagh

I must thank all members who gave their opinions on the matter, *Bows* Head here and join the discussion today!

Spotlight Competition

We have a winner! IF Quirer's own editor, PopeAlessandrosXVIII takes the prize with Is This Me? in a close win against Vishal Muralidharan's Nightmares Trilogy by two votes. This editor feels honored and hopes to keep up with the citizens expectations in the up coming chapters. Please take a look at the tale in it's shiny new forum found here. It can also be seen on the City's front page and in the Fantasy Forest.

Spotlight Quick Peek

The story Is This Me? follows the life of a boy who has no memories of who, or what he is. Awakening alone in a field of tall grass and stones, there isn't a single hint to solve this mystery. His unusual features make him an outcast in civilized society, but with the help of other outcasts and mythical creatures he can slowly piece his shattered memory back together. Meanwhile, an evil force moves in the shadows. It's mission? Only time will tell...

Business

FBIA – The Fatback Industrial Average has fallen by -3.85 (-.20%) in the past month to 2127.04. Want to see that number rise? Participation in Story Games will bring up the index, and make IF a “Richer” City!

Deadweight average- The Anti Spam Squad ( ASS) reports that the Deadweight Average has risen seven percent to a startling 64% in only a few weeks! If things continue along this line, I see a depression in IF's near future.

Words O' Wisdom

“Only a fool tests the depth of the water with both feet.” - African Proverb

Would you like to advertise in ?

Look here for more information!

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day

Last edited by PopeAlessandrosXVIII on Sun May 01, 2011 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Ingrothechundyer
Royal Arch-Mage

Topics: 63

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Nice job! Reply with quote

I loved this months issue Very Happy
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great edition! Nice to see you've followed your first success so well. The ad looks pretty good too. I guess I better pay the treasury now!

By the way, you keep using the spelling "story game" where I believe the most accepted form is "storygame". Besides being my own preference, it is also how it is spelled in the "Storygames Home" link, on the navigation bar, and the opening screen of IF declares it is "The Home of Storygaming".

Anyone else have an opinion on the spelling?

Welcome To Purgatory - current storygame
Please visit my Library of completed works.
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storygame without the space seems to work better imo. Nevertheless, great article Pope! Looks like you caught a rare glimpse of Lordy being, well, Lordy Very Happy Nice coverage overall on all points. My only critique, not that its posted for much of that sort of feedback, is that it may have been good to put an article headline after the mayor statements to shift the topic to your featured SG, Lebby's Murder in the Intergalactic Garden. But yeah, that aside, it was a terrific job! Keep 'em comin.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Pope!

I agree that Storygame is always how I've typed it.. and how I've always known it. But hey that's a technicality... a great issue!

Keep 'em coming!

Cool
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: I think..... Reply with quote

About the Add for Lebrenth's storygame, I thought of it as that...an add, and I look in my paper and see no header for these things most of the time. Sorry if it's cunfusing, it just seemed right at the time....And I have to say, it's not 100% my fault on the storybame/story game issue.....my program I use to write on has this auto correct feature that I'm trying to figure out how to disable..... It splits my Storygame and I forget to go back and fix them *Bows* Sorry!

To Be A Knight
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read it. Loved it. Surprising that the fatback has fallen, considering the recent surge in activity-- maybe it isn't being channeled to the storygames?
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 24

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an issue, this was terrific!!

But Deadweight average and FBIA reports are quite.... not good. Loved the issue though. Great job!

The eyes are useless if the mind is blind.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Wordfind Reply with quote

*Pokes* We currently only have first place filled for the Wordsearck competition this month, so if you've been holding off thinking you won't place.....Well, let's see some more Wordfind action!

To Be A Knight
Ingrothechundyer
Royal Arch-Mage

Topics: 63

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wordfind Reply with quote

PopeAlessandrosXVIII wrote:
*Pokes* We currently only have first place filled for the Wordsearck competition this month, so if you've been holding off thinking you won't place.....Well, let's see some more Wordfind action!

*pokes back* did you see my PM? I'm showing you haven't read it yet... Wink
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> IFquirer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: