Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Strata-gems

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> City Central -> City Auditorium -> Auditorium Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Strata-gems Reply with quote

Ok, folks, I'm also adjusting our currency system a bit. We've had our beloved fables for a long time and I'm NOT taking them away.

But I'm introducing a new currency, earned by a different sort of site participation, the Strata-gem.

If I'm understanding the controls correctly, Strata-gems should be tradable with Fables at an exchange rate. (probably 1 fable to 10 Strata-gems) More on that in a bit once that's all sorted out.

But for now, understand that Strata-gems are earned by game play in the games (which will likely be disected over the course of the next few weeks and filtered into one of the two new districts:), RP district and Word Play district. I've also established them in a few other places to add some bonus points for participation there, such as Critique Corner.

This should be fun to see what we can come up with regarding the interplay between the two currencies! Ideas anyone?

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see Strata-Gems integrated closely with the currency of the Land of Odd. Currently, it is possible exchange fables for Realities in Land of Odd - which enables you then continue to play more than 20 games in any 24 hours or skim through games more quickly.

A number of new signups come to IF and only ever play the Land of Odd - and despite the lure of earning fables in order to continue playing, there has never once been a cross over to the forums specifically to earn fables for this. If Strata-Gems are to be designed to attract people who are more RP/Game play orientated, that might be interesting to see if that kickstarts a cross-over.

Another thought I've toyed with in the past (and other Mayors before me) is to introduce a credit currency for critiquing which would be exchangeable for fables.

Smile
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea on the critiquing currency... but before I really promote that, I have some more concepts I want to talk specifically to you about CF, and will need to bring that discussion back to the new Programmer's Circle to initiate.

Is the fable exchange with realities working now? I had understood it didn't work. It would be neat to see Strata-gems exchange at a more favorable rate there, making some fun (clever driven) financial management between the three.

Zephyrrr! And...
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I missed the point, but what exactly do you do with stratagems, other than trade them for fables (which I don't use much anyway)?
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one thing I'm hoping to see is some ideas come forward for that. But I'm also thinking the games section may be able to utilize them a bit more regularly.

For example, when I ran Superhuman, I charged Fables for creating the character - you remember how this was done. I'm thinking Strata-gems might be a currency of choice for such interactions.

CFs idea about the transactions with the Land of Odd is good too.

And hopefully more ideas will be forthcoming.

For now, its mainly just for fun, as fables always have been.

Zephyrrr! And...
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm not sure this is your greatest idea, but we'll see. Btw, what is the number of stratagems one gets for each post based on? Because I just got 12 fables and 10 stratagems for one post, which doesn't make sense considering the exchange rate. Also, is the exchange rate based on supply and demand, or is it just randomnly fixed?
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exchange rate is based on the primary focus remaining on Fables. I primarily considered Stratagems as a sub-fable bonus for the games sections and as an added bonus for those sections I'm wanting more promoted. You can't set fable awards differently for various districts so a second currency helps to craft a more complex bonus scheme.

Currently, the Raceway is one of these few regions that gets BOTH!

Games sections only get strategems and generally the sg forums only get fables, with the exception of the Raceway. An added benefit of this currency scheme is that it will show on the user where their primary interests lie.

Zephyrrr! And...
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird wrote:
Is the fable exchange with realities working now? I had understood it didn't work. It would be neat to see Strata-gems exchange at a more favorable rate there, making some fun (clever driven) financial management between the three.

There was a time when it didn't work, but it does now. I often spend Realities to hop on my winged balloon to travel the oddlongs more quickly. I then buy more Realities using my Fables. Smile
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The exchange rate is based on the primary focus remaining on Fables.

So it's not going to change regardless of how many stratagms there are in circulation? Wouldn't it actually make more sense then to post in Fable forums and exchange for stratagems rather than post in stratagem only forums? You'd get about 10x more if you posted in fable forums...
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... and that's the idea. But you should be keeping in mind the nature of the post or it will be moved for you.

Zephyrrr! And...
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be watching to see how it evolves, although it doesn't make much sense to me yet.
Shillelagh
Citizen

Topics: 20

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems pretty nifty to me, as I understand it. Fables are worth more, because those are the posts which take time and effort to craft. Stratagems are cheaper, because you can earn those by making easy posts in word game areas and such. A few rounds of 'one word story' gets you a lot of Stratagems, because that's the new money of the old '0 fable' areas.

Right?

Ihniwid Chapter 5 is up- find it here!
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems unnecessary to me. Like D, I hardly use Fables as it is, and I'm actually quite fond of them. Adding strata-gems seems to complicate things and I prefer simplicity. I thought purchasing "realities" worked because they had immediate purpose, like buying tickets to see a movie. I don't really see what strata gems will be used for.

Welcome To Purgatory - current storygame
Please visit my Library of completed works.
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shillelagh wrote:
It seems pretty nifty to me, as I understand it. Fables are worth more, because those are the posts which take time and effort to craft. Stratagems are cheaper, because you can earn those by making easy posts in word game areas and such. A few rounds of 'one word story' gets you a lot of Stratagems, because that's the new money of the old '0 fable' areas.

Right?

That's the idea exactly. Its a way to reward in a lesser manner to the usual Fable award. We can't change fable earning rates by forum - just on or off and otherwise the rates are set the same everywhere.

So Strata-gems gives us a way to more finely refine the benefits of posting in places which have, up to now, been benefitless, and helps to add further benefit to posters where both Fables and Stratagems may be earned.

The idea isn't so much to make each currency have a different 'function' but to have a fractional fable. Still, I'm thinking some may find ways to play with the system by giving each a differing 'spending' purpose in some situations.

Zephyrrr! And...
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shillelagh wrote:

Right?

That's the idea exactly. Its a way to reward in a lesser manner to the usual Fable award. We can't change fable earning rates by forum - just on or off and otherwise the rates are set the same everywhere.

So Strata-gems gives us a way to more finely refine the benefits of posting in places which have, up to now, been benefitless, and helps to add further bonus to posters where both Fables and Stratagems may be earned.

The idea isn't so much to make each currency have a different 'function' but to have a fractional fable. Still, I'm thinking some may find ways to play with the system by giving each a differing 'spending' purpose in some situations.

Zephyrrr! And...
Amichan
Treasurer

Topics: 18
Location: RL:Roseboro, NC./ IF: Retuning from a long journey in the land of OFF

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is possible but i wouls like to see how the stratos can be used to intiegrae into all aspects and have the ability to track them ( kinda like how the Fables are done ) if they are just useing the RP districts then that is fine that will open the door to more of an RP atomosphere if we can get the right group in . as it has ben said many play LOO if we can encourge growth there and within the all districts and the strato is the answer then i can can its use very well outside of that i am not sure if adding another currency will be beneficial
Shillelagh
Citizen

Topics: 20

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, okay- we keep treating these as two separate forms of money. But if the point of the stratagem is to reward people for posting, but with cheap money instead of valuable fables... What if we made them two elements of the same currency?

Fables are paper money, and Stratagems are coins. If you get enough coins, that equals a bill. Obviously, you'd rather have one large post for payment with bills... but if all you can manage is a few short posts, you'll still get enough coins to equal a bill or two.

That would make Stratagems a fractional amount of a Fable instead of an entirely new currency, and it would eliminate a lot of the counterpoints I'm seeing.

Ihniwid Chapter 5 is up- find it here!
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the 'cash mod' is not so sophisticated as to do this automatically, you'll find that if you go into your profile, you can exchange strata-gems for fables and vice-versa at a 10 strata-gems to 1 fable rate. They are interchangeable. And yes... it is more like coins vs bucks.

Zephyrrr! And...
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> City Auditorium -> Auditorium Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: