Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
IFQ Issue #32

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Info Street - FAQs and Guides to the City -> IFquirer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: IFQ Issue #32 Reply with quote

Bringing you the News The Old fashioned Way

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*IF Reborn!*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A New Mayor has risen from the nest and his presence has had a profound impact on every aspect of the City as Thunderbird takes his place as IF's 9th Mayor. His mayorness has sent the City into overdrive calling a new council overhauling the Economy adding many new districts and overseeing the City's re-constrution. We brace ourselves for a possible new look for the City. All of this in our Page to page coverage of this Election Edition of IFQ.

Thunderbird's Council

Story by Kang

Council has been reorganized after being inactive for a few years. These chosen few are not only your administration, but also ones that will be overseeing the new districts that are open and underway.

Behold our council under Thuderbird!~

High Lord Chancellor(deputy mayor) – PopeAllesandrosXVIII
Treasurer – Kang
Welcome Coordinator – Crunchyfrog
Headmaster of the Academy – HalfEmptyHero
Competition Coordinator- Crunchyfrog & Pope
Advertising Manager – T-Bird and Pope
Awards Supervisor – Crunchyfrog
Fantasy Guildmaster - Tikanni Corazon & Cyberworm
Sci-Fi Guildmaster - Smee
Horror Guildmaster - misterbiz
Humor Guildmaster - Barking_Basenji_Splitpin
Romance Guildmaster - Vishal Muralidharan & Andolyn
Experimental Guildmaster - Shillelagh
Linear Guildmaster - Crunchyfrog
Artistic Avenue Guildmaster - D-Lotus
Speedgame Guildmaster - Vacant
Role Player's Den Guildmaster - PopeAlessandrosXVIII

New Districts

Story by Kang

Along with Thunderbirds new Economy, he has laid the foundations for 8 New Districs for more refined Storygames, and paved the way for an aspect of that IFians have neglected for quite some time, Roleplaying.

The new districts include:

- Creepy Cave
- Lovers Court
- Humor House
- Speedwriters Square
- Innovation Isle
- Roleplayers Den
- Artistic Avenue
- Word game way

Feel free to check these Distrcits out and help promote their growth!

New District - Disected

Story by PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Creepy Cave, Moderated by our own twisted author misterbiz, is a great place for those seeking the darker side of the human Psyche. Filled with psychopaths and monsters, this is just the place for fear seekers!

Lovers Court, looked after dually by Vishal Muralidharan and Andolyn, is a jovial place, filled to the brim with what most call “The mushy stuff”. Hearts and flowers, smiles and laughter as far as you can hear and see, this is the place for the romantic within all of us!

Humor House, occupied by Barking_Basenji_Splitpin, is a gigglerific collection of humorous stories and other amusements. This is the perfect place to visit if you need some cheering up, with either amusing pictures, stories, or slightly off color jokes.

Speedwriters Square, still up for grabs, is a place where fast minds and fingers combine to create works of literary art as fast as the author can get it down. No long waiting between chapters, and no lagging plots is what you find here on the Square.

Innovation Isle, overseen by Shillelagh, floats innocently out of the way, but is slowly filling with unknown experiments and bizarre oddities. Once known as the Experimental section, this newly renamed area lives up to it's reputation of containing all manner of strange and unusual stories.

The Roleplayers Den, under the wary eye of PopeAlessandrosXVIII, works it's way into place for those who have enjoyed the long held tradition of RPing. From it's humble beginnings in the minds and hearts of geeks and nerds, Roleplaying has finally made it's way to our esteemed City.

Artistic Avenue, lorded over by our dear D-Lotus, gathers together the more artsy and poetic collections of our IFian society. Whether art sculpted by hand, or poems from the heart, you can find it here, and perhaps try your own hand at this growing trend.

Word Game Way, under the other critical eye of PopeAlessandrosXVIII, is a place for you to have fun with, or even make fun of, the English language. With riddles, codes, challenges, and word games, this is a place to give your fingers a rest, and give your mind a workout!

Please have fun with these great new destinations within our fine City!

Returns Don't Expire

The last month has seen many returns. Old threads revived, old themes resurected, and most of all, old and new IFians returning to partake in our ever evolving community. Here is a little collection of thought from a few of these returnees.

IFian Interview of misterbiz
Lurking around the Inn, Stein managed to snag and interview with the desolate and depressing misterbiz.

Stein: Hello there misterbiz. Thank you for taking time out to answer my questions. Ready Rover?

Rover: Wuff *Ears click into place to record the interview*

Stein: Ok. So, first off this morning, how are you doing this fine day?

misterbiz: I'm doing Just fine. Just fine. I can't complain.

Stein: Good good. Now, standard question. Just how did you come to be a writer here in the City?

misterbiz: Well, my good buddy Thunderbird mentioned it a couple times in Tome. I got curious and checked it out. I had intended to write something but was unsure of my storygaming abilities so I left and kinda forgot about the account. Then Thunderbird suggested a few days ago that I run my storygame from Tome here on IF, to see what would change. I agreed, remembered my info and BAM!...here I am. Now I'm here and I'm here to stay.

Stein: Ha ha, very nice. I can see that so well in my mind. Next, may I ask, what is your approach to storygameing? Do you come with a preset full sory in mind? Take it as it comes? How do you go about making a good story?

misterbiz: When I go about writing any story, I ask myself: Would I want to read this? If not, then I don't go through with it. Usually I have some sort of idea of where I'm going but with storygaming I don't. I go into a sotrygam with ideas, characters and an destination. I know where I want it to end up, some things i'd like to happen along the way and the people that are going to be involved. The rest of it and the way the characters are introduced all depends on the way the story goes.

Stein: I see. I like it! Let's see....What is your current favorite as far as others' storygames? Any one in particular you can't wait for it to continue and why?

misterbiz: Even though I'm not to far into it, I'm a fan of Thunderbird's Heavy Metal and I'm also liking Line of Kavanagh by Andolyn.

Stein: I see, what exactly do you like about them?

misterbiz: Well, LoK has gotten me hooked thanks to the character Spade. I was originally drawn to Heavy Metal because of the title. *laughs* But I kept reading because I love the character, Walt and the fact that its a good sci-fi tale.

Stein: I enjoy them as well. I have read some of your poetry, and I enjoy it. What is your insperation behind your poetry?

misterbiz: I have a lot of different source of inspiration. Half of it is inspired by things that have happened to me like breakups, being beat around and losing a loved one. The other half of my material is inspired by things that fascinate me or I simply want to write about like falling for a succubus, Norse mythology, The seven deadly sins and even Mortal Kombat.

Stein: Facinating. What in your life made you want to start writing? How long have you been writing? Do you feel The City of IF is helping you to become a better writer?

misterbiz: I originally started writing at 14 and I used it as a way to cope with events in my life. I went through a fair amount of hardship growing up and poetry helped keep me somewhat sane. Then I tried my hand at some prose and loved it. And yes, The City of IF is helping out quite a bit. There are quite a few very talented writers here.

Stein: Alright, almost done here. One more question. What would you like to see more of here on IF. Story wise, competition wise, and all around general IFiness?

misterbiz: I'd like to see a short story competition actually. Maybe a different one each month with a different challenge each time like: Write a story with no dialogue or start a story with a specific sentence. And maybe have a different person run the challenge each time. The only other thing I'd like to see is a bit more horror. There's nothing better than sitting down and reading some piece of dark depravity.

Stein: I must agree with that. Well, that's all for today. *Bows* I thank you again for your time. Good day.

misterbiz: No problem, Stein. Its been my pleasure.

Exclusive Interview with IFQ's own Kang
Our most talented reporter, Stein, managed to sneak past me and get an interview with out dear editor, Kang, right here at the IF Quirer offices!

Stein: *Wanders into the back of the IF Quirer editorial room and finds Kang among the sleu of papers*

Stein: Hello hello, and good day. Rover you ready?

Rover: Wuff *Activates michrophone ears*

Stein: Alright. First off, how are you today?

Kang: *silently looks up from his stack of papers* Busy as usual getting the next issue ready as we have had many happenings in the City.

Stein: Alright, now on to the fun questions. Just how did you find IF?

Kang: I was personally invited by Lilith and Liana over 4 years ago. *Wonders how Lilith is doing*

Stein: What have you stayed so long?

Kang: I have just loved seeing others creative writing and have contributed so much to the city but as it has been known real life steals me away so much. *sighs at the last remark *

Stein: What is IF to you, as a person, and a writer?

Kang: If is a great way to meet new people and an awesome way to help up and coming writers to get their feet wet and hone their skills.

Stein:What do you think of all thses radical changes?

Kang: I think that it has been long over due and has definately been well needed.

Stein: What is your favorite game here on IF?

Kang: My all time favorite is Chinaren's Tired of death as it takes the hack and slash concept of story telling to a completely different level as we just don't get the heros aspect we see it from the dark side as well.

Stein: What made you choose the name, Kang?

Kang: Kang was a name I had picked for a D&D character a long time ago and since then it has stuck I have a few other pen names that I have used, some that may make it into my newest storygame that is in the works.

Stein: What is your take on being part of the Thunderbird Administration as his Treasurer?

Kang:I would have to say that being considered for such a position is a great honor and I hope to cover the post as well as I have covered the IFQ.

Stein: As Treasurer what are your thoughts on the Economy of IF?

Kang: The Economy of IF is a delicate entity as many IFians are finding hard to want to spend their fables. This has been an ongoing issue over the years but I assure you that I am consulting with His Mayorness as to what we can do to find a more suitable use for the Fatback.

Stein: Well that's all for now. *Bows* Thank you so much for your time. I'm glad you could find time in your buist schedule for my questions *Turns to leave* Come Rover.

Kang: *echos * Tell Pope to not forget his deadlines for the next issue.

Rover: Wuff *Trots off*

If Only Wordfind
First three persons to find all the words, mail me and you shall be rewarded from the IF Treasury!

Wordfind Words
Ingro
Album
Ramol
Lover's Court
IFki
Creepy Cave
Arena
IF Quirer

Wordfind Winners from last month:
1st: Ingrothechundyer
2nd: LordoftheNight
3rd: N/A

Heavy Metal – Tunderbird – 8
Line of Kavanagh – Andolyn – 6
Tempora Crepusculi – Shillelagh – 5
Is This Me? - PopeAlessandrosXVIII – 5
SparkleSteps – Tikanni Corazon – 5

Keeping up with the popularity, Thunderbird's Heavy Metal takes first place once again. In a surprising and wonderful performance, one of our newest members, Andolyn, takes second place with Line of Kavanagh. Returning with a bang, Shillelagh muscles into third place with the long beloved Tempora Crepusculi. Recent winner of the Spotlight competition PopeAlessandrosXVIII takes forth place with Is This Me?. And last but cirtainly not least, Tikanni Corazon's SparkleSteps smiles and waves from fifth place.

All of these are dually recommended by this editor!

Top 5 Peek

Thunderbird's Heavy Metal forces readers to stop and think with it's well woven plot of both myth and intrigue. Line of Kavanagh by Andolyn entertains with it's complex characters and heart felt interactions, while giving the reader a peek into the life and mind of the author. Shillelagh gets the fantasy fan up and running with Tempora Crepusculi, adding a twist on to the way one views reality. Is This Me? by PopeAlessandrosXVIII challenges the laws of heroism by viewing the world through the eyes of a boy with a fractured soul. Our dear SparkleSteps by Tikanni Corazon reaches out from the hearts of two loving siblings, tossed into a fight not their own, with a world, they shouldn’t even know about.

Great people are after her and she doesn't know who, the only people she can rely on is her new found friend, whomever he trusts she will trust. She is running out of time Capetown is under attack by a strange inhuman being. Her friend Nouda has to protect her and also solve the mystery of her past. Who is her friend or foe? Who can she trust? Can she trust only herself?

IF Getting A Face Lift

Story by Kang

A few of IF's finest minds have been seen behind closed doors as they are going over IF's blueprints to pursue the option of taking IF to a new platform. The platform of PHPBB2 while limited has been a great asset but the idea of going to PHPBB3 is in the works and is progressing as this is being written keep an eye on the IFQ as we will update the progress on this project as we get information on how this is going. You can also join the discussion here. Throw in your two cents today!

IF Going Vocal?

Story by Barking_Basenji_Splitpin

The audio recording is a very useful device, it can train the author to learn to speak with an audience, bring confidence into a writer or singer.

I asked the king...

I'd like to know if the city would have some use for an audio option on City of IF? Somewhere near other games. I think it'll be a great idea, it could also make the IF Quirer more lively, and be a plus for the city. But it depends on you, since your the king of this forum. Please talk to the mayor and council ask them if their willing to work on something like it. If they said yes. I'll put up a poll, or you can to see who'd want this in the near (or far) future.

I'm not so sure if it'll make City of IF any slower than normal. so that has to be checked first, since all the data is stored into one or more hard drives, it would possibly help this world get some newcomers into the world of IF. I'd like to have run for the mayor side, or even part of the council, but I am not good with computers.

So I hope this would be of benefit to the place. An audio upload option, which has to be checked by a few council members at least. These audio uploads can be done for the IF Quirer, but not for personal messages. It can be done for stories, which can bring together a few people to read along the story with their friends, which will include a lot more people. If the others wish to keep their audio uploads a secret it has to be marked down by a council member and locked away into the chambers until the person is ready to open the uploads for listening to a group of people actually working together.

Here is what the King had to say on the matter.

King: I encourage you to try this out and see how it goes. And you're welcome to post in the Suggestion Box thread if you'd like feedback from others as well.

Sincerely,

Splitpin

Business

IF Economy Explained and Changes Made

Story by Kang

Recently His Mayorness has overhauled the Economy to promote growth in all the districts. On top of his 1000F Stimulus plan for new storygames here is the overview of the new Economy:

FablesThe standard currency of the City of IF
- Earned primarily by writing and participating in Storygames
- 1 Fable = 10 Straga-gem
- Base 1 earned for starting a topic.
- 5 Fables earned for every reply to a topic you've begun.
- Base 10 for a reply (adjusted to weight more support towards readers/participators)
- 0.005 earned per character (half what it was recently to balance out other adjustments)
- Earning Cap per post: now 200 fables. (I found that a 7 page (MS Word) post didn't even cap out so there's a wide range of earnings now possible on your chapter posts.)

Strata-gems
-10 Strata-gems = 1 Fable
- Completely interchangeable with Fables at the exchange rate.
- Earned by participation in lighter pursuits, RP, Word Play, Debates, and as a bonus in some storygame areas.
- Base 25 earned by starting a new post in a Strata-gem earning region to inspire new activities in those areas.
- 5 earned for the originator of a thread for each reply posted there.
- .01 per character, the old Fable earnings per character rate to support shorter posts in these affairs.
- Maximum of 50 earned per post in recognition that in such regions.

This Does not address the Issue of how it effects the FBIA or the Deadweight average. Stein and Rover Tracked down our very own Kang whom is also IF's Treasurer for an explination.

"The FBIA is an average of total fablesearned versus those that have fables. The average varies on the activity we have in storygames and newcomers we have coming into IF. More activity in SG's the average goes up less activity and more newcomers it goes down slightly.

As for the Deadweight average, it is a calculation on of those that have not a fable or post to their name. However, after Crunchyfrog lead an investigation with the ASS, it has been discovered that some of the deadweight isnt dead at all. More that they are oddlings as they actively participate in Land of Odd. This can throw the average off considerably, and will be investigated more in depth"

Just for fun, let's see if you all followed that. Can YOU calculate the FBIA and DWA? Submit your numbers to PopeAlessandrosXVIII and see if your comprehension and math skills are up to par!

Happy IF Day!

A number of the City's residents celebrated their IF days in the month of May, and here they are!

Ravenwing, Mephistopheles, Argonaut, Idea Master, SchoolMarm!, Mother Goose, The Meaning Of Fear, Phantomfan, The Powers That Be, Klafarius, DeadManWalking, Head Eater, Swordfish, Tipico, Ronjun, shy_blu_eyes, Squakka, Design, illusionist, and Jyoukage.

Congratulations on your IF days!

Words O' Wisdom

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Would you like to advertise in ?

Look here for more information!
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyny typoes abownd but overall, a very entertaining issue!

The reporters have some surprises in store for the next issue, methinks Wink

And I'd like to add that further changes to the economic structure are right around the corner. But progress moves more slowly than I'd hoped as my internet connection lags severely.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 24

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**sigh**

Im bored of saying "Great Issue" everytime!!!

But this was a really good issue pope! Keep the good work going!!

The eyes are useless if the mind is blind.
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IF Going Vocal?

Story by Barking_Basenji_Splitpin

The audio recording is a very useful device, it can train the author to learn to speak with an audience, bring confidence into a writer or singer.

I asked the king...

I'd like to know if the city would have some use for an audio option on City of IF? Somewhere near other games. I think it'll be a great idea, it could also make the IF Quirer more lively, and be a plus for the city. But it depends on you, since your the king of this forum. Please talk to the mayor and council ask them if their willing to work on something like it. If they said yes. I'll put up a poll, or you can to see who'd want this in the near (or far) future.

I'm not so sure if it'll make City of IF any slower than normal. so that has to be checked first, since all the data is stored into one or more hard drives, it would possibly help this world get some newcomers into the world of IF. I'd like to have run for the mayor side, or even part of the council, but I am not good with computers.

So I hope this would be of benefit to the place. An audio upload option, which has to be checked by a few council members at least. These audio uploads can be done for the IF Quirer, but not for personal messages. It can be done for stories, which can bring together a few people to read along the story with their friends, which will include a lot more people. If the others wish to keep their audio uploads a secret it has to be marked down by a council member and locked away into the chambers until the person is ready to open the uploads for listening to a group of people actually working together.

Here is what the King had to say on the matter.

King: I encourage you to try this out and see how it goes. And you're welcome to post in the Suggestion Box thread if you'd like feedback from others as well.

Sincerely,

Splitpin

Very Happy I did this once with the first chapter of the last SG I did before RL and other things ate me. It was fun but as D-Lotus advised, if others do audio for SGing, please do enunciate clearly and take it slow. (My brain moves too fast for my mouth to keep up, personally.) Cool!

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Ingrothechundyer
Royal Arch-Mage

Topics: 63

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job an a getting a good edition! I enjoyed it Very Happy
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: *Fidgets* Reply with quote

Soooo......We have one winner for the Wordfind, any one else going to try their hand?

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Bookwizard
Respected Citizen

Topics: 33

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spectacular!

I must say I almost fainted with joy upon logging into IF today... I love all the changes, all beautifully executed and creatively done. I can't wait to jump back in to all of this! Especially the new RP section... I have had one of those brewing on my desktop for quite some time now...

Overall, amazing issue, very informative... all these changes were a bit overwhelming at first!

Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WB my most well spoken proponent in the election before last! Nice to have you back BW!

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Win Reply with quote

Ok.....still only one person for the Wordfind? 2nd prize is 150 fables~ Is no one up for the challenge?

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> IFquirer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: