Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Personal Blogs on IF Policy

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> City Central -> City Auditorium -> Auditorium Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Personal Blogs on IF Policy Reply with quote

Generally speaking, I am a bit of an anarchist. What I mean is, I strongly believe that the government that governs the least governs the best.

However, there are times when problems emerge that require action by the governing body to keep the overall peace and prosperity of the whole. Recently, we've seen an upheaval on the site, a resurgence of an old and reoccurring issue that is causing a great deal of distress among many IFians.

It has become clear that if something is not done to smooth out the situation, its going to tear the city apart - from the top down as someone said during these massive backroom debates.

While appearing complex, the problem is actually quite simple. At the root of it all, we cannot seem to agree as to what is or is not acceptable to post on the site.

We are all very clear that this is a writing site first and foremost, the proverbial 'Home of Storygaming'. Some feel that this should be thus what we are primarily limited to. Most of us also agree that we should be conduscive to the concept of developing friendships and a community. But it is on that last matter that we find it can be taken too far, to a point of irritating and embarrassing not only other members but to the point of violating the integrity and viability of the site itself.

We then struggle to define what constitues, violates, and should be protected by the value of free speech, and even whether we should value such an ideal at all here. We point at the person or people responsible for the posts and we point at those who've shown irritation and there is not a clear answer as to what is 'right' or 'wrong' but it is very clear we'll never completely agree.

Nor should we have to always agree with each other such as to remain close friends and companions along the journey of open self-discovery, self-development, and expression that storygaming is to us all. We cannot allow these fundamental disagreements to shred our respect for one another, though I daresay many of us, myself included, have already shamefully allowed ourselves to fall prey to this to some extent already.

For my own involvement in that, I apologize. (Especially to you Crunchy.)

But all this goes to show we NEED a solution. This isn't just a problem with one person. It is a fundamental disagreement on what we value here. And we NEED an answer that will benefit us all.

Therefore, after much deliberation, the following plan is to be put in place. Now, mind you, this is a very LOOSE and minorly enforcable concept but if we all respect the ideal behind it and try to act within its guidelines, we should all benefit greatly from it.

So I establish the following Personal Blogs on IF Policy:

• IF is generally NOT a site for personal blogs - certainly NOT in the Open Forum and this will be firmly expressed and enforced.

• However, many of us establish friendships and would like to be able to share our 'bloggy' style postings with each other. For such, the following will be the proper proceedure to employ:
    • Establish an 'address' in 'the City' (500 fables for a page, 1000f for a 'sub-forum')(Moderator can set up a sub-forum, Treasurer may establish a page)
    • Establish a Private Group (a personal friends list as it were - the Moderator will have to set this up) 1000 fables
    • You may add/remove anyone you wish to your Private Group so long as you are willing to remove them from this list if they request it of you (moderators may be called on for this if the member is unresponsive to such a request)

• All activity at your City address will be hidden to all but your Private Group (unless you have a page only which you may opt to be public and by default will be.)

• All blog style and self-disclosure style posts must be made from within your Address.

• If members begin finding your blog posts distasteful in any way, a petition may be made to enforce that an 'unhidden' city page be made hidden and have a private group established for it. In such a case, it would be customary for the management to fine a percentage of the fable cost for setting up the private group (depending on how 'at fault' they feel the member is for the need to enforce privacy.)

• The Open Forum is for discussions only and ANY member may at ANY time request removal or to have a thread moved from the Open Forum on the basis of being personally offended by that post. The proper proceedure will then be to move the thread to the Private Address of the member who began that thread or to put it in stasis if there isn't one (with the option then for that member to open up such a service.)

I've led the way in establishing a sub-forum in 'the City' of my own (which means some of you will be seeing more personal posts from me as well now that I won't be worried I'll be stepping on IF's overall intent.) Let me know if you aren't part of my group but would like to be.

So to be clear, 500 fables for one openly visible page in the city, 1500 for a hidden page and your own personal 'group' (which you can pm blast too Smile ), and 2000 for a hidden forum and your own personal group. PM me if you want a hidden group and/or a hidden forum and PM the treasurer (currently Kang) if you want a personal page (and address) in the city.

Additionally, I'm going to be pushing to separate non-SG/Poetry/Art/RP posts from the main pool of 'new posts' and 'recent posts' links so that even if you are on private lists, such posts can never overwhelm the original and core intent of the site - Storygaming, Authoring, and Role-playing.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> City Auditorium -> Auditorium Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: