Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
The Kingdom of Isteraal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Role Player's Den -> Group Role Plays
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
Fables
25 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside the tavern in the garden:

As Baelar approached her, the medium height redhead stepped between the entrance to the kitchens and him, folding her tanned arms over her ample bosom. "My worries are none of your concern, Bael-whatsit. Guests are not supposed to come to the kitchen entrance. There's supposed to be music being played by a bard soon enough, so I would suggest you go right back into the tavern." The redhaired woman flicked the stray curls off the back of her neck that were falling out of her no-nonsense bun at the nape of her neck, and gave Baelar a hard look.

Meanwhile, Raina was seen to be exiting the kitchen's door behind the redhead and placed a hand on the younger woman's shoulder. "Brie, be gentle with the customers. Remember what happened last time." She said lightly, before ushing along the blonde girl from before, who was decidedly happier looking that earlier although her eyes were still red-rimmed and cheeks damp from crying. She was carrying a wooden bucket in her hands."Now, Aileen, go to the well and just wash your face up a bit. When you've calmed down, come back in and I'll get you a hot meal and walk you back to the temple before the festivities begin, alright." Aileen, the blonde girl, nodded and dropped the bucket to throw her arms around Raina and hug the matronly brunette tightly.

"Thanks." She murmured in the older woman's ear before she snatched the bucket back up and started for the well which was a fair ways away from the kitchen entrance by far.

Inside the tavern:

As the talk and drinking in the tavern's main room wound down, four new people in brightly colored clothing bounded up on the stage, two women and two men, different ages and three with differen instruments. One of the men didn't have an instruments and so when the tune was struck up by his comrades, he was the one that began to sing the tale of the Divine's charge on the temple priests and priestesses.

Drake, while you find the music soothing and your food and drink pleasant, you can't help but notice that Gregori has passed out face first on the table, drooling profusely from a corner of his mouth. Apparently your new friend cannot drink very much for his bottle is barely empty and his glass is still half full.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Topics: 5

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baelar sighed inwardly, and he sighed hard. Tough nut to crack, this one... I like that. But his curiosity for the blonde girl... Aileen, yes, that curiosity was greater. So now he knew all their names, without asking even. A rare occurence that such information is served to him like that.

"I see, so I am out of place in more than one way. I apologize for bothering you, miss Brie." He bowed curteously, and smiled, after which he turned around and started walking to catch up with Aileen. With a name suitable of her stature and apparent role as a maiden, he couldn't do but wonder... why does he have a bad feeling about what is going to happen soon.

Beyond Good and Evil
Could it be that being good is not good at all?
Shillelagh
Citizen

Topics: 20

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laneus's heart skipped a beat. From his corner of the garden, the well was a mere footsteps away. He hadn't actually expected to get another opportunity to talk to her- although Baelar was wrapping up his suave conversation with the kitchen staff, and was making his way over back to the girl. Without giving himself time to think, Laneus quickly placed himself between her and the well, before Baelar had a chance to interfere.

"Excuse me, priestess," he said, bowing his head in respect, "I couldn't help but notice that I... ahh... oh, you're so beautiful..." he said, losing his train of thought and trailing off in a whisper. Laneus flushed with embarrassment. Had he said that out loud!?

"That is-" he said quickly, diverting his gaze to the ground, his whole body tense from social awkwardness, "I'm sorry if this seems creepy, but I couldn't help but notice that you were crying earlier, and I... well, it would be very bold of me to presume that I could help in any way- not that I wouldn't, you know, I would if I could, it's just that I... the people support you, priestess," he said, bumbling from one thought to the next. "No matter what happens next, we're all behind you. This festival... it may as well be for you, y'know. For where would we be if we did not have faith?"

His speech more or less concluded, Laneus dared to look back up at her face, his heart stopped frozen as he waited to see how she would react.

Ihniwid Chapter 5 is up- find it here!
Emperor
Citizen

Topics: 29

Items
Legends
Fables
596 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Gregori passed out at the table and the other two out chasing the bright flares of youth, Drake assessed his options. Not sure exactly what to do with the man of faith, but feeling slightly responsible for his current unconsciousness, Drake motioned over to the inn keeper.

"Can you help me get him to my room. I'll pay the cost."

Drake slinged one arm of the acolyte over his shoulder and waited for the inn keep to help him.
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
25 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brie spotted the direction Baelar's eyes went and she could obviously spot trouble a mile away. She quickly strode to block Baelar's path. "Leave her, sir. You need to return to the tavern. She's in preparation for tonight's festival and is upset enough." She folded her arms stubbornly across her ample bosom and the set of her jaw told of a woman who brokered no arguments.

Meanwhile, Aileen, startled by Laneus's sudden speech dropped her water bucket on the ground, nearly losing her footing herself. For a few moments, she looked as if she might rush away again, yet she listened to what Laneus had to say, the look on her face inscrutable.

"I'm not a priestess. I only serve one." She responds simply, kneeling down to gather her bucket back up, watching Laneus the entire time, seeming confused by him somehow. "Beauty and faith are not intertwined things, nor is faith right when it's put in the wrong person." Aileen adds as she dips her bucket in the water about six inches below the lip of the well and draws it up full. "But it's sweet of you to think me so. What's your name?"

Inside the tavern, the burly innkeeper looked Gregori over, sniffed cautiously at the cup the patron had been using but soon shrugged and lifted Gregori's other arm over his shoulders, helping Drake haul the unconscious priest upstairs. "I suppose we can't deny the representatives of the Divine their fun when it comes to a time like this." The innkeeper chuckled gruffly as he assisted Drake. "Are you staying for the festival tonight?"

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that the timid boy approached the troubled lady, Baelar got a smile of relief on his face. Thank goodness, I thought the boy would never figure out what I wanted from him. He looked at Brie, and with his shoulders far more relaxed now, said:

"No need to shoo me away, my business is done here." He said sounding almost satisfied with himself. "Thank you for your patience, I am sorry to have troubled you. If you ever get a stray thought of wanting to talk to me, feel free to do so. I'd be glad."

He ended his words with a slight bow, and headed for the door he walked through before, approaching back to the tavern.

Beyond Good and Evil

Last edited by Cyberworm on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He tried to keep his breath steady, as his chest surged with the warmth of... Excitement? Happiness? Confidence? Letting these new emotions wash across his face, Laneus replied to Aileen.

"My name is Laneus," he said, crossing his hands in front of him. "And it is a pleasure to meet you. I'm sure the festival season is a stressful time for all the faith, from the highest priestesses to the lowest servants." He paused, considering an alternate implication from those words. "Ahh, not that the servants themselves are lowly, you know, it's just that, you know, compared to... Oh, you know what I mean," finished Laneus, scratching the back of his head.

Emperor
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
596 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yes, I think I will be staying. There are still a few things that need doing."

Getting Gregori to the room was a much easier thing to do with the help of the innkeeper. Drake couldn't help noticing the telltale old scars on the acolytes hands and arms. It seemed that before this man made peace with the Divines, he was no stranger to a harder more visceral life. Drake placed Gregori on the bed with a slight grunt.

Deciding that he had a few hours left in him, he went back to the main room and reseated at the same table he was at a moment ago.
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Topics: 75
Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the garden...

Confident that Baelar got the message, Brie followed his retreating figure back along the path, positioning herself near the door, in order to waylay any further intrusions. Looking back she watched the younger man nervously chat to Aileen.

Aileen listened to Laneus's words, as he spoke in his jarring, anxious voice, her eyes changing from wary to soft and twinkling, and her mouth slowly becoming a small smile. When he was done, she let out a soft chuckle, despite her previous sadness.

"I do know...I think," she said to him, splashing the cold water over her tear-stained face. "And thank you. You've cheered me slightly and helped me put aside my troubles for a moment...though not for long, I fear..." She suddenly looked sad again, a fear touching upon her features. She chewed the inside of her mouth, almost looking as if she wanted to say something...

In the tavern...

The crowd at the bar became more rowdy, the earlier patrons getting more drunken by the minute as was fitting to the time of year. In the middle of it all, a drunken brawl started between two large, burly men, one with dark hair and multiple scars along his muscular arms and his face, with an eye patch resting across his left eye, and the other a slightly smaller man, though wider in girth, a shock of blonde hair tied back in a messy pony-tail, and a metal ring hanging from his nostrils. There was a lot of shouting and cursing, and suddenly, one pulled out a large knife, brandishing it drunkenly at the other. The barkeep moved slowly forward, hands slightly outstretched before him.

"Come now, gentlemen, this is a family establishment. Please take it outside?" The man with the knife and the eye-patch turned to the barkeep, a dangerous look in his eye. With one swift, yet clumsy movement, the man lurched forward, burying the knife in the barkeep's gut.

The barkeeps mouth widened into a silent cry, his eyes shocked and bulging, as he stumbled back, falling heavily against the bar itself, and sliding to the ground, a thick pool of red surrounding his collapsed form.

Emperor
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
596 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years of training kicked in. Drake kicked the table up on end and grabbed it by its sides. Burying his shoulder he hurtled toward the large, slower man and with the full force of his own momentum Drake slammed hard into him, while releasing the table.

Drakes eyes narrowed into slits of pure focus as he cleared his short sword, he stood between the barkeep and two men.

"Move and you stop breathing."

Without taking off his eyes from the other two men, Drake barked out to anyone else in the inn.

"Get this man some help. Now!"
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hearing the commotion and seeing the barkeep and the two men, separated by the shady fellow Drake, he read it all from the knife and the blood.

"By the old hag's teeth..."

After the initial two seconds, he didn't think anymore. He took off his shirt and jumped towards the innkeep, folding the shirt mid-jump and pressing it hard on the wound with a clenched fist, gently but firmly as hell.

"Breathe slowly and don't move."

Seeing quite a few wounds like that in his life, he knew that the most important thing is to keep it clean and pressed hard for now, the internal bleeding is the worst enemy here. He hurried up the nearest waitress for hot water and clean rags.

"Is there a healer here?!" He shouted.

Before waiting for the reply, he hurriedly asked for some needle and threads, along with the strongest alcohol they have in the inn. He didn't know if the girls heard it so he looked aroun again with swift sweeps.

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laneus instictively reached out and placed a supportive hand on her shoulder. "Come now, surely your troubles can't be that bad? Or maybe discussing them will help ease your mind? I know when I was little, complaining about all of my farm chores helped me feel better about them... because at least somebody else knew what I was going through."

He paused, realizing that his hand was placed firmly on a near-stranger's shoulder. He stepped away from the priestess in training, and sat down on the lip of the well. "A-anyway," he said, blushing slightly. "I'd hate to see you cry again, Aileen. Can I do anything to help?" He sat with his left arm close to his body, and his right arm stretched out far away. If she wanted to keep her space, she could sit to his left. And if she sat to his right, maybe he could wrap that arm around her, and... Laneus chided himself mentally. There was no point in planning too far ahead with someone so distraught.

What was that commotion coming from the Inn? Well, the redheaded server who had been protecting Aileen from Baelor was still standing near the door, last he looked, so it must not have been too bad. And, anyway, it would be rude to ignore Aileen, no matter what the reason.

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the garden...

Aileen glanced over towards Brie, where she stood by the door, then looked to Laneus with a small smile. She parted her lips as if to speak, but became distracted by the growing din coming from inside the Inn. As the ruckus grew in volume, Brie frowned and hurried towards the door, opening it a crack, her eyes widening at the commotion on the other side. Her gaze fell upon the slumped form of the Barkeep, the young man Baelar at his side. Turning back to the two youngsters in the garden, she extended a hand, motioning for them to stay away.

"There's a riot started," she explained hurridly, opening the door wider so as to slip through. "The boss is hurt, so I have to go help. Just stay here, okay. I'll be back in a little while." With that, she disappears.

In the tavern...

The Barkeep coughed, lifting and placing a heavy hand upon Baelar's shoulder.

"Thank ye lad," he said weakly, before allowing his arm to fall back to the ground with a thump. The red-haired serving girl, Brie, ran over and fell to her knees beside the barkeep.

"Can I do anything?" she said desperately, looking worriedly over the form of the man who'd been much like a father to her.

The offenders eyed Drake furiously, but his clear background in combat made them wary to push him. The shorter, blonde man, held up his hands in surrender, and backed away. But the other, the one responsible for the stabbing, remained, a mirthless smile upon his lips.

"Come on now, buddy," said the larger man. "We were just fooling around, is all." Despite his reassuring words, his eyes told a different story, and the knife still glinted in his hand.

Emperor
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
596 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake was in this much deeper than he wanted to be, he couldn't come up with a single reason why he had come to the defense of the innkeeper - other than it was the right thing to do.

The slower man in the prone position was still dangerous, every look he threw at Drake was one that wanted Drake dead. He needed to get control of the situation, otherwise this was going to get a lot bloodier than he wanted.

Drake readied himself, mentally going through his actions if things started to resolve in a more violent way.

Speaking to anyone within earshot, Drake spoke loudly.

"For all the guards I see in here, why are we the only one's keeping the peace. Either get this under control or this this poor man won't be the only one bleeding."

Drake was grateful to have Baelar tending to the innkeeper. He would have to thank him if he didn't end up incarcerated tonight.
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baelar looked at Brie with a serious and urging look on his face. He would've smiled at her but he counted every second in his head.

"Miss, he shouldn't talk. Hot water, clean rags, strongest alcohol and some sewing thread and a needle. If possible, soak the sewing threads in alcohol first as well. If you know a healer who can close this wound have someone fetch him. I'll do my best in the meantime."

He kept the pressure under the Barkeep's solar plexus tight.

"I take the hand away, he starts bleeding again. I don't take it off soon, his organs will start dying out for lack of blood. We need to move fast."

His father's teachings, which his father got from a healer he befriended... It wouldn't be so well-rooted in his thinking if he didn't see much of his friends get hurt. Yet, if it could save an innocent man, he was happy to have suffered through that.

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laneus was immediately struck by a feeling of guilt, to find out what the commotion was, and to help in any way he could. This, in turn, was immediately replaced by a desire not to interfere or to get into anyone else's way. If a full tavern of adults couldn't fix the problem, what was he going to do about it?

Better to stay outside with Aileen, as Brie had requested. He looked between her and the door, to see what her reaction would be.

Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
25 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the garden:

After Brie's command, Ailleen paled and looked quite shaken. "Nerat never gets hurt..." She bit down on her lower lip, glanced at Laneus and beckoned him to follow her with a finger as she started back towards the tavern, thankful that Raina had disappeared back into the kitchens for once and that she was unwatched. "C'mon Laneus. I'm worried, I've known the owner for years.. I grew up here even before I was taken by the temple. He has never been hurt in a riot or brawl that starts.. there's too many guards that come to this tavern.." She wrapped her fingers around the heavy iron ring that served as a door handle, pulling the door open slowly. The hinges had been oiled recently for they were blessedly silent as the young acolyte looked to her new friend and then poked her head inside the tavern.

In the tavern:

Brie is sobbing but not hysterically, as the owner of the tavern gurgles beneath the compression of Baelar's hand on his open wound, and the man with the knife grins nastily at Drake.

"Those are no guards, friend.. they're my crew." The man with the knife spits onto the scrubbed wooden floor and that seems to be a signal, as the men who seemed to be guards suddenly stand up and discard the false insignia of the royal family.

Nerat's body goes stiff in Baelar's grip, his body simply too old to compensate for the bloodloss and the owner of the Tangled Ivy lets out a great sigh before his eyelids close. Brie frantically scrambles at Baelar's hands, attempting to claw them away from Nerat, tears streaming down her face, but not making a sound. Finally she gives up and glares up at the man with the knife. "You're foul, you're evil, you're nothing more than a stain on this city!" She shouts at him, angry now.

The man simply laughs as his crew spreads out amongst the staff and patrons of the Inn, most too scared, old or young to fend them off. There's a scream from the kitchen and one of the crew reenters the tavern with a blade pressed to Raina's neck. "Well, well, what have we here? Nerat's wife?" To Raina's credit she doesn't make a sound, but the fear in her eyes is obvious.

Just as the man who stabbed Nerat advances towards the restrained woman, Aileen rushes in between him and Raina, her jaw set and her eyes unwavering with hatred as she stares the man down. "The Divine may grant you mercy in the next life.. but I assuredly won't." A small razor-thin blade glides across the fleshy part of Aileen's hand and she flings the freed blood toward the man, who blanched at the sight of her garments, recognizing her as an acolyte. "A curse on you and all who follow you!" She shouts, smirking when the flecks of blood touch him and he flinches.

"Out of here men! We'll have another place to ransack without priests crawling out of the walls!" The man with the blade shouts, running for the door and wrenching it open. Most of his crew glance at each other, bewildered that their leader is so easily shaken by a mite of a girl but they sheath their weapons and leave just the same.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was done... the commotion settled and only tearfalls and gritting teeth could be heard.

Baelar's hands were bloody, this time stained with blood of a person he didn't kill. He was furious either way, but... no. He was in cold fury, past the heated stage. His thoughts were racing, with one hundred thoughts dealing with the mess and one thought saying he should leave it all... but he couldn't leave, so he dismissed it at once.

"Raina... could you close the inn for today and call for a staff meeting?"

He looked at the woman, his eyes having gentle firmness in them. His brain wouldn't stop working, but he also wouldn't let it show. Now... something had to be done.

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laneus followed Aileen without a word, letting the adrenaline course through his body. He hadn't felt this tense since the time his younger brother had been too fool to bring the sheep in from the pasture before the storm broke. His confusion at the behaivor of the guards- imposters? is quickly forgotten at the sght of Nerat, lying in a pool of blood. Death was a common part of farmhood- be it accident, planned, or passing of age. Murder, though... Laneus did not know quite what to do with himself. His fierce, emotional desire to protect Aileen and the other women was balanced rather quickly by his logic; what could he possibly do to help?

Laneus watches on, impressed with the confidence that Aileen is able to show in driving away the villain. He slips forward, in the event that she should need his shoulder for support once her moment of bravado passes.

Emperor
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
596 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tunneling of Drake's intense focus receded. He debated for a split second on wether to chase down the group and harry them from the rear, but Drake knew that there were too many of them.

He should have crippled the leader, but they had retreated before he could even react. Drake would just have to add it to his long list of regrets.

Drakes solemn grey eyes came to rest on the lifeless form of Nerat as he sheathed his short sword.

Just another life he couldn't save. Just another life the Divines have disregarded.

Drake listened to the curse Aileen spat out and not wanting to add to the situation, Drake unobtusivley back off from the group around Nerat's body.

Was that some kind of blood curse? Since when did followers of the Divine practice blood rites?

Drake needed sleep - but he knew none was to come anytime soon.
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
25 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the ruffians finally leave, Aileen goes grey in her fair complexion and her skin breaks out in a sweat. Raina sweeps toward the blonde girl and wraps her arms around her shoulders. "No sir. I cannot shut down the Inn. I've too many people upstairs asleep already and these good people around is are going to need time to grieve. Most of them are regulars and have been coming since Nerat opened the Tangled Ivy." She chokes back a sob as her eyes fall on her husband's lifeless body and she begins to draw Aileen away from the crowd. "Come. You can rest in our... my bedroom in the back while you recover." She murmurs what most of you swear is the word thank-you in Aileen's ear as she half-drags, half-carries the drowzing girl back toward a door just beyond the stairway that leads down a long hallway into what one would assume is Nerat and Raina's living quarters.

Many patrons are now rising from their seats, rousting from their shock and moving towards Nerat's body, a few old women drawing Brie away and upright while some of the men who aren't quite able to mask the wetness in their eyes move to wrap Nerats body in their cloaks. "Will you take him to the temple tonight?" Brie asks, her voice in a hoarse whisper. One of the gentleman helping to lift Nerat up, reaches out and strokes Brie's cheek. "Yes'm, youngin'. It be best if we told the guard what 'appened too. That ratfaced Castor 'n his crew are known in these parts fer thievery and the lioke, but they ne'er killed before." The man states, shifting Nerats weight and turning to start marching toward the door with his fellows. "Don' ya worry yer head 'bout it, Miss Brie. We'll 'andle it fione, 'n let ya 'n yer auntie have yer time ta grieve. You go ahead and let the ones who are sleepin' sleep but we'll leave for now. Alrigh?" The man's accent was thick but he was understandable, clearly an old face in the tavern as most of the patrons started gathering up their mugs and plates and carrying them over to the kitchen's counters for washing and then said their good-byes to Brie.

Brie says goodbye to the last patron when he leaves and closes the door gently, turning back around and eyeing the spot where Nerat's body had been not ten minutes before. "Raina may not have wanted them to go, but she'll be grateful for it. Did you three pay for rooms? I can refund your gold if you would prefer to stay elsewhere." She asks, her voice void of emotion, still staring at the patch of blood on the floor, most of it mopped up by the good patrons who used spare cloaks for the task.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I wouldn't want to sully the hospitality received from you, and would rather stay here if you don't mind." Baelar said, unsure of how to react towards a woman in post-shock state that she was in.

"It goes without saying that if you need anything of me, please don't hesitate to ask. I will do my best to help... If there's even some work at the kitchen or here, I'll help relieve the burden... Even if Raina wouldn't approve of that, I want to do something for you."

His voice trailed off in reminiscence of the previous events. He couldn't have stopped the bleeding, the wond was skillfully made, with the blade inserted and then moved in such a manner that maximizes internal damage in comparison to the entry wound.

That's what his mind repeated, and with the comments of the regulars... this was a hit. Someone ordered that thug to do this. He touched his bastard sword at his hip, and he felt a soothing cold from it... Yes, not revenge but justice and truth. That's what we'll do and find. His other hand touched the similarly large holster on the other side of his hip. And you, my friend, will have a lot of work to do as well. Let my father's hand guide my own.

He looked at Brie, waiting for an answer, an order or a dismissal. Or something else. Whatever she says, he'll do. Ease the pain by helping when needed, that's what he was taught and so far that creed served him well with good people... and they were all exactly that.

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laneus watched, his limbs heavy with shock, as the aftermath of Nerat's death occured before his eyes. Having only known the man for a few hours, he felt like an intruder on their grief. He really had no idea how one should act in such a case- on one hand, this was now the home of a dead man, and he felt the need to leave so that everyone could mourn without worrying about strangers and customers. And yet, it was equally rude to insult the dead... and what could be more insulting than demanding a refund from his business?

And then there was Aileen. His eyes began to stare down the hallway where Raina had taken her. He couldn't leave without saying goodbye, could he? True, they'd only just met, but... well, he was captivated by her. And, sure, maybe it was just a first crush. Powers be knew he'd never fallen like this for anyone before, although he'd done his fair share of mocking a few of the guys back home. So, sure, maybe he simply had nothing to compare it to. But Aileen was... well, if nothing else, he had to play it through. Or else he'd regret it for the rest of his life as a nagging what if. Who knew what she could possibly see in him, and yet...

Laneus was glad for Brie's interruption from his line of thought. "I... I couldn't possibly," he replied, blushing red. "That is... I, too, wish to do whatever I can to help. I'd hate to be a burden on you, and demanding a refund seems like it would be just that."

Emperor
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
596 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake knew the girl was speaking from a state of shock, he also knew that almost everyone in this inn were still trying to take in the death of Nerat.

Things were still too strange about this night. The sudden and inexplicable passing out of Gregori, the ability of "simple" barmaids to be able to hear a whispered conversation over an entire inn, a murder and the sudden act of the priestess. But it still felt awkward for wanting to stay no matter how strange things were.

Drake decided that he would wait till things calmed down, to see if it was realistic to be able to stay. Besides maybe the passed out priest would know what the Aileen was doing with that curse.

Instead of answering whether he would stay or go, Drake retreated further back in the inn proper and sat down. Watching. Waiting.
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brie listened to the words of the two younger men, and took the actions of the third to mean that all would be keeping their reservations. She nodded and attempted a weak smile at Baelar and Laneus, made even less heartfelt by the appearance of tears running silently down her cheeks. She wiped them hurridly away, and knelt down to pick up some broken crockery that had fallen to the ground during the ruckus.

Around them, the few remaining with a room for the night have left, gone to their rooms either to sleep off large consumptions of drink, or to save themselves the awkwardness of the situation.

Brie got back to her feet, arms full of the smashed plates and cups, and her eyes fell upon the blood staining Baelar's hands. She indicated towards the back room with a nod of her head.

“Come on through to the back,” she said, beginning to walk in the towards the door, where Raina and Aileen had disappeared moments before, looking back at them too follow. “We'll get you cleaned up.”

She glanced at the other two.

“Feel free to come through too, if you wish. I'll get you all a drink to settle your nerves a little. I know I need one.”

Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He noticed her eyes, he noticed the blood. He didn't try to hide, but he did try to make it as inconspicuous as one cou... No use, he just didn't know what to do with them. He nodded and started walking towards the exit Brie headed to, careful not to drip blood on the floor or the tables. His hands were burning hot, be it the aftershock or just blood still pumping strongly through him.

He didn't talk, he just went through the door he was lead to.

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laneus followed meekly behind the rest, heading into the back of the Inn. He didn't really need a stiff drink- he certainly didn't need to wash up like Baelar did- but he wasn't keen on staying in the main room, either. The smell of death lingered in the air, and Laneus could still see Nerat's corpse in his mind's eye. Best to stay around people, lest his mind fill with terrible thoughts.

"And you're desperate for another chance to see Aileen again," added the nasty voice in the back of his head. "Don't kid yourself."

Emperor
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
596 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing the patrons disperse and the others trying to clean up the broken pieces of not only the dishes but also what had been the start of a good night, Drake decided he would stay for the night. Besides, chances were good that the local guards would be wanting a word with him for brandishing a weapon during the festival. There was no sense in having them look for him, it might be misconstrued as him trying to evade them.

Drake began helping with the putting the inn back in some sense of order. It was the least he could do. His scarred hands got a bucket of water and a rag and began cleaning up the blood on the floor. He had seen enough of it in his lifetime, and though not used to it, he was at least partially desensitized to the gore.
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
25 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brie dumps the broken crockery in a large wooden barrel, and from the dull sound of crashing and shattering inside, the barrel is for that purpose in the first place. She beckons Baelar and Laneus quietly towards the back, leading them down the narrow wooden hallway and pushing open a door that led to a small wash area, a large pitcher of clear cool water sitting on a counter, beside a bowl used for washing. A stack of undyed linen towels were sitting beside the bowl and pitcher. "You can clean up in here... I'm going to check on Aileen and Raina before I head back out to the tavern and try to finish cleaning up out there." She adds quietly, turning to push open the door opposite the hall and walking into a small bedroom that has a chest of draws and a wooden bed, both made out of good decent oak.

On top of the patchwork quilt on the bed lay Aileen, the grey pallor in her face concerning Raina who was sitting on the edge of the bed beside her, reaching up and dabbing a wet washcloth over Aileen's face, murmuring."You shouldn't have used that spell, Aileen... blood magic can kill you." Raina's voice was a hoarse whisper as she looked up to see why Brie had entered. "What do you need, Brighid?" She asked, wiping away the tears that trailed down her cheeks.

Brie touched Raina's shoulder softly and suqeezed it. "Nothing, Auntie. I was just checking on you. Is she going to make it?"

"I don't know. You should..."

"I know, I'm going to." Brie kissed Raina's cheek and left the room, looking back once at Aileen, a pained look her face before she pulled the door shut behind her and started back out toward the tavern.

Once in the tavern, Brie approaches Drake and starts helping him with the clean up, her expression grim as she scrubs angrily at the floor, as if it was the offending party.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He approached the washbasin and cleaned up his hands... it was thick, half-dry... He was glad to have it off. The water now turned red.

He wiped his hands and looked around the room, just observing in case something happens in the future. He waited for Laneus to finish... but he grew impatient.

"Hey, Laneus... what are your thoughts on..." He suddenly remembered that the girls were still here, so he smiles and continued "... meeting up tomorrow and discussing the plans for the next few days?"

He gave him a very serious look while smiling, hopefully transferring his real thoughts that way.

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laneus's eyes darted back and forth as Bri led them down the hallway, trying to see where Aileen had retreated. He followed mindlessly after Baelar, standing politely behind him as he began to wash. Standing where he was, in the doorway, he could just make out the conversation between Bri and Raina. Concern set in, but Baelar had finished washing- when he stepped away from the basin, he stepped forward out of habit, taking his due turn.

He paused, looking at the red tint of the basin. He hadn't been involved in the fight in any meaningful way... was washing up actually going to make him dirtier? He shrugged, and started to wash anyway. There was dirt from the road, if nothing else.

He looked up when Baelar started talking. The man was obviously trying to make a point- the smile at his mouth didn't make it to his eyes, and his tone hinted that there was some sort of hidden context that he was supposed to be picking up on. Laneus frowned in confusion. He was bad enough about this sort of thing on a good day, let alone after a night like this. Did he want to talk about what just happened? Was he suspicious about something? Did he want to try and go after the thugs, or report the fake guards? Or was this some sort of "go after the girl" message?

"Umm, yeah, okay," said Laneus, furrowing his brows. "I mean, I have nothing better to do. I really haven't planned anything out, so... yeah," he rambled, picking up both speed and confidence. "We're sharing a room together, after all. If my company isn't a burden to you, I'm willing to acquiesce to your whims." Ending with a confident nod, he dried off his hands while trying to stretch an ear out to the room with Raina and Aileen.

Emperor
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
596 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake nodded at Brie as she joined him in the cleanup. He found himself slightly encouraged at the way she went about the task. Drake kept silent during the grim and messy work, words were useless in times like this.

Once most of the majority of the innkeepers blood was wiped clean, Drake looked around for the requisite saw wood that most inns had hidden away. Using the break in eye contact and proximity as an excuse he broke the pallor of silence that had filled the space.

"I never apologized for breaking all of your serving wear. It was the only think I could think of being outnumbered and in such tight quarters."

Coming around with a small bucket of saw wood - usually reserved for those patrons that couldn't hold their liquor - Drake spread it across the floor where they had been cleaning.

He looked at Brie directly, trying to bring some warmth to his normal colder nature.

"How is the girl? Aileen right?"
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the back rooms...

The door to the bedroom opened once again, followed shortly afterwards by Aileen's form stumbling out of the open doorway, Raina just behind her, clutching lightly at the girl's arm.

"Aileen, no. You have to rest," the brunette landlady said gently, putting her other arm around Aileen's shoulders to offer extra support to the clearly exhausted girl. "That spell took it out of you. I'll have someone hurry a message over to the other acolytes, so they'll not worry. Please, come and lie back down?"

With as much energy as her drained body would allow, Aileen pulled free of Raina's grip.

"I'll be fine," she replied, fixing the older woman with a stubborn expression. "I need to get back. If I stay here, they'll want to know why, and I might get into trouble for using blood magic in the first place."

She made for the door leading back out into the tavern, looking determined.

In the bar...

Brie eyed Drake for a moment, before shrugging and wringing out the blood-stained cloth.

"She's exhausted, but she should be fine after a good rest," she replied, with a grim smile, before nodding her head at the newly scattered saw wood. "Thanks for that." She got to her feet, dropping the cloth into the bucket of water and making towards the outside door to throw the dirty water away. "And for helping with the fight too. It could've gotten uglier if you hadn't stepped in."

She opened the door to the gardens and walked out, pail in hand.

Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since his mind was torn between getting involved and not doing so (well he had to admit, keeping himself out of things was rather boring and useless in general), Baelar gave out a deep, controlled sigh to expel the pressure in his chest.

His ears heard of some blood magic from the Acolyte who once helped him, but to see it in action... and she's not supposed to either, it must have been a strain and she seemed, well, frail.

He sighed again.

Well at least this time it'll be my meddlesome nature and not a woman that gets me into trouble. Though Brie... He now let out an unconscious "hmm". She was attractive, and that attitude made him want to ask her out for a drink and a nice dinner. But alas...

He looked around, didn't see her. Upon walking towards the main hall he saw her and Drake cleaning the floors. He was supposed to go upstairs to his room anyway, but for now he decided to wait for Laneus. It would be a bad time now to act in such a way, romance will have to wait.

His chest told him a different story, but he humbly apologized to himself, and stood near the bar. Waiting...

"Can I help you Miss Brie, Drake?"

Why did he speak? Gah... You do know you should just go upstairs and think of a strategy? Sure, and if both of them send me away I will, but no harm in doing just this, right? *sigh* You're an idiot, as always. Have it your way. I wouldn't have it any other way, thank you very much. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll stop talking (thinking) to myself.

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laneus stepped out of the wash area once he heard Aileen and Raina's exchange. "I could escort you back to the temple, Aileen!" he blurted. Having spoken, he immediately flushed with embarassment. How much of this exchange was supposed to have been private? Well, too late now. He carried on.

"I mean, not that I'm trying to force myself on you," he added, starting to ramble. "You can say 'no' if you want. It's just, y'know, I was planning on taking a walk before going to bed tonight anyway, so it's no trouble for me, and I really didn't have any path in mind, so I may as well go to the temple, and I'd hate for you to go alone if you didn't want to, and ummm... I should probably stop talking and let you answer, huh?" he finished, with an nervous smile. He could almost feel what he imagined to be Raina's disapproving stare shooting daggers into his neck, as he waited for Aileen to respond.

Emperor
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
596 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake noticed Baelar's entrance.

"You are welcome. I'm just sorry I wasn't faster."

Drake got stretched his aching muscles. The long and strenuous hours were catching up to him.

"I can only hope that when the guards come, they will understand."

Drake righted and moved the table he had used as an impromptu shield back in it's place.

He looked at Baelar and saw something unspoken in his eyes. Drake wanted to ask more about the girl Aileen and the events of the night, but decided against it. Feeling a little bit like a third wheel he concluded that it would be easier just to call it a night.

Drake turned his steel grey eyes back on Brie.

"Well if I'm needed, don't hesitate to wake me."

He looked back at Baelar and gave a small nod.

"I think I'll just head to my room."

With that said, he headed upstairs.
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
25 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the tavern...

As Brie entered the tavern with a clean pail of water, she spotted both men in the area and graced each with a small smile before she shook her head at both Baelar's offer of help and Drake's note that she could come get him if she needed him. "It's just a bit of cleaning up. Please, go rest, the both of you. You've done more than your share of help for today." She said, picking up the last of the broken pottery and dumping it the barrel, before she dipped a clean rag in her pail and began to scrub the tables down (now that the floor was blood-free) as if it was just her nightly chore.

In the back hall...

Raina gave Laneus a hard look before glancing at Aileen, who'd turned around and gave him a tired smile. "If you're going to go, young lady, then it'd be best if the lad accompanied you. He's got a strong back and legs, haven't you?" Raina looked down at Laneus with a sort of fierce matronly expression that said Any funny business and I will gut you.

Aileen reached up and squeezed Raina's shoulder gently in gratitude before she turned to hook her arm through Laneus's, leaning slightly heavily on him. "Let's go then, Laneus. I really do have to get back, before I'm missed." She murmured to him quietly, pushing the door open to the tavern. Raina watched them both for a minute before she cleared out the washroom area and got rid of the bloody water in the basin, keeping her hands busy before she disappeared back into her kitchen.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seemed like the lad was busy for the night. Baelar had to smile inwardly. He might be grabbing a tiger by the tail with that lass though... Speaking of tigers, I think I'll call this a day and speak to Raina tomorrow. Noticing that Drake looked at him, Baelar concluded that he must've been thinking the same. After all, they did help each other like that, so I guess they had similar thoughts in at least some areas...

It will be a hard day tomorrow, so I'd better go upstairs for that rest I'm overdue for... And so he climbed the steps to the great upstairs.

Beyond Good and Evil
Emperor
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
596 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake sat down heavily on the bed, and slowly took off his road worn boots one by one. He took out his whetstone. He knew his swords edge was sharp, but there was something about the act of caring for his blade that gave a little solace - just a little - to his soul.

A quiet, rymthic keening chime filled the room as he set the stone to metal. He couldn't help it, his mind would wander as he worked his blade. Thoughts of his beautiful wife Istrela, his precocious son Mizzrik and his gentle daughter Vindici filled him.

Drake put away the stone and relpaced it with some cloth and oil. He tried to push them out of his mind, he tried to hurry. It was no use.

Images of a blood stained house, and his family's still forms covered in white cloth crept into his mind. He choked back tears and put his sword and supplies away.

Drake lay down and closed his eyes.

A festival celbrating the grace of the divines, it makes me sick.

He slowed his breathing.

I would pull the Divines down from the heavens if it meant I could find those responsible.

And with that last thought Drake finally fell asleep.
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laneus's heart raced as they walked toward the temple. Most of Aileen's weight was being carried by Laneus, and it was not nearly as much of a burden as he feared. Puberty had come and gone, and Laneus never received the broad shoulders or rippling muscles like most of his friends. But farming was not an occupation for the weak, and Laneus was forced to admit he was a lot stronger than he usually gave himself credit for.

His skin tingled with excitement; he could feel the warmth of her body on his arm, the clean scent of her hair and skin adding new depth to the fantasies his mind had started creating only hours before. It was all he could do to calm himself; even if he wasn't rushing headlong into things, there was no denying her current, frail state. There was something irreverent about courting a girl who had just been through such a tramatic affair. Yet here he was, escorting her home so shortly after meeting her. Did that make him a horrible person? Just how was he planning to proceed from here?

Laneus shook his head, and looked over at Aileen. "Unless you want to walk in silence, I'm going to need for you to provide conversation prompts," he admitted. "I'm quite bad at small talk."

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Group Role Plays All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: