Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
The Kingdom of Isteraal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Role Player's Den -> Group Role Plays
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Topics: 75
Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Inn...

All is dark, save for the light of the moon outside, and there isn't a sound besides the chirping of crickets and the odd hoot from an owl on the hunt. Suddenly a sharp thud carries through the Inn, the sound reaching even to the highest levels of the building. Moments later there is a smashing noise, as though an item of crockery has fallen from it's place on a shelf or work-surface. Another thud, slightly softer than the first follows a short while afterwards. Then there is silence...

Out in the streets...

Aileen led the way to the temple, guiding Laneus despite her weakened state. At Laneus's words, she gave a soft laugh and nodded.

"I never would have guessed," she replied, a glint in her eye, as she looks to the side, directly at him.

She looked thoughtful for a moment, her eyes on the ground before her, then flickered them back to look at him.

"Why don't you tell me about yourself?" she offered with a smile. "It'll help to pass the time. What do you do?"

Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Topics: 5

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just closed the door to his room, Baelar left his coin pouch and food bag next the the bed, when suddenly he heard that crockery-breaking sound, after which came a thud. Picking up his gloves he ran out of his room and evaluated where the sound might've come from, then proceeded towards it with a brisk but still quiet enough pace, waiting for more sounds.

Do you really want to meddle in their business that much?

They lost too much this evening. Bug off.

You might lose something too. Could've had quite a few times today.

But I didn't. Even if I lose my life, it's fine. I'll have few regrets.

More than a few, don't forget...

I will survive, and this time there will be no deaths of good people. Now concentrate on the task at hand. Talking to yourself is a fool's errand in this situation.

Beyond Good and Evil
Could it be that being good is not good at all?
Shillelagh
Citizen

Topics: 20

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What do I do..." Laneus repeated back, taking time to compose an answer. "Well, I guess you'd say I'm a Farmer. I grew up in the outskirts of Brennae, as the oldest of four children in a farming family. It's what my father's been doing all of his life, and it's what my mother married into. Even then, that side of the family focuses on livestock, so here in the city there's probably not much of a distinction.

"But just because you're born into it, that doesn't mean you like it, you know? I mean, I've been doing fieldwork and chores for all of my life, so it's kind of hard to imagine me doing anything else. But on the other hand, if I don't find something else to do with my life, I just may go insane. My parents just... assume that I'm going to find a nice girl, have a big family, and take up a nice piece of land somewhere. It's like I didn't even get to have a say in my future. They've just planned out my whole life for me, and I... well, how much choice did I have? Schooling doesn't prepare you for other lines of work, and they never let me pursue any opportunities that might have led my life elsewhere. This is the first true shot at independence I've had. They think I'm coming back in two weeks but I... I just don't know if...that is, if I could, I'd..."

He paused, scratching the back of his neck "I... sorry. Well, no, I'm not actually sorry. I just... usually I'm more shy. I didn't expect myself to open up to you that much. I mean, not that you're... oh, forget it," said Laneus, blushing furiously. "You know what I mean. I'll shut up now, before I stumble over my words any further."

Ihniwid Chapter 5 is up- find it here!
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
Fables
25 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside the Inn:
Soon enough Baelar comes across the crockery that fell over and shattered: a large oil lamp that had been full to the brim for the evening... and the wick had been lit when it fell, causing the softer sounds as the flames hungrily burned hot in the oil, catching the wooden boards of the walls and floor in the hallway just outside the sleeping rooms. The only clear paths around the fire were to the downstairs and a somewhat clear back toward his room where he had two windows, yet on the second story, jumping might not be intelligent.

Out in the Streets:

Aileen listened to Laneus as they moved slowly but steady toward the large temple not far from the Royal family's home in the center of the city passing by many merrymakers in the festival mood, as the sun began to set on the horizon. When he began to falter, Aileen stopped and reached up to touch the pads of her fingertips to his mouth with a tired but true smile. "You're an honest soul, Laneus. That's a rare trait in someone in these dark days ahead. Never lose that." She advised him, her voice still rich and musical as she patted his arm gently and leaned against him once more. "A couple more blocks and we'll be to the acolyte entrance to the temple. And I can understand how you feel about the farm life. I know a few acolytes that ran to the temple because they were sick of it." She replied softly, squeezing his arm as she tried to increase the pace.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baelar did have limited options. He wasn't sure if he could put out the fire with only his bedsheets, and he surely didn't have any water to put it out...

Slowly backing towards his room he shouted "Fire! Fire on the second floor!" repeatedly, hoping that someone would come to his aid. He took all of his gear from the room in case he had to make a run for it, then grabbed his bedsheet and folded it three-fold so that it wouldn't catch fire when he hit the flames...

Though it was only a temporary measure. He hit any flames he could on his way to the stairs. And he was thinking... That lad, Drake, he must've been in his room still!

Or was he? Someone must've broken the lamp, there were sounds other than it breaking...

"Drake! Get your ass out of your room, there's a fire!"

Truth will be known soon.

"Goddamit, there's a fire here, someone bring water quickly!"

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laneus let Aileen set the pace, following her cues as she tugged on his arm. He felt both pride from her compliments, and pity for the melancholic depression that loomed behind her words. "It hurts to hear you speak like that," he blurted, unsure of what else to say. "like the only way to win at life is to stop trying so that it doesn't hurt when you lose. I don't know what you're going through right now, but I think... I know that you're stronger. And you can get through with the help of your friends, and your faith."

"I... hmm, I think I'm repeating myself though. Insert generic cheery statement here, follow with encouraging cliche phrase. And I suppose that really is what I'm expected to say- I mean, what kind of person could see such sadness and respond with anything but cheer? I... oh, don't answer that," he added, blushing.

"So... what about you, Aileen? Tell me about yourself. What do you do when you're not preventing disasters at Inns and keeping things from getting worse?"

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Inn...

There is no answer from Drake's room from either he or his room-mate, Gregori, and the smoke filling the hallway and the spreading towards the staircase was getting thicker...too thick to risk hanging around in.

Suddenly dual screams ring out from below. The voices are that of two women, quickly recognisable as being those of Raina and Brie. Cries of 'help!' are discernable amidst the screams of terror. Maybe the fire has spread to the lower floor...

On the road to the temple...

At Laneus's words of comfort and concern, Aileen gave a small smile, glancing at him with eyes that were sad, and yet there was something else behind the sadness...something not dissimilar from amusement at his distinct bashfulness.

As he asked her about herself and her activities, another expression passed over her face. It drained slightly of colour, and her lips formed themselves into a firm line, as though she was trying to prevent herself from speaking. As she glanced at Laneus again, her eyes were clearly frightened and full of a desperate need.

"I can't..." she whispered, trailing off, as a single tear made a glistening track down her cheek.

Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hearing no answer and knowing he has to act swiftly or else the smoke will cut him off, Baelar was left with a choice of either checking the room or going down. He had to make the bitter decision. The guys could help themselves, Gregori did have a bit much to drink but Drake was a strong, sober lad.

Just in case, he rushed to Drake's door, slammed it a few times with his fist and foot to wake and shake them if they could hear. "FIRE!"

And he was off, running towards the stairs. He prayed for the two men, but he knew that helpless people should be helped first. And considering the mental state of the ladies, he was more convinced that they need his help. He rushed down the stairs, holding breath for twice as long because of the smoke.

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You can," said Laneus, positioning himself in front of her, with one hand firmly grasped on each arm. "I have faith in you." And without thinking, he pulled her close for a tight hug. There was something about Aileen's sorrow that screamed the necessity of such a gesture.

Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
25 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside the Temple, Acolyte Entrance:

Aileen froze for a moment when Laneus suddenly hugged her and no friendly-like hug either. She was wrapped up tightly in his arms, a comforting gesture and Aileen soon buried her face in Laneus's shoulder, slipping her arms around his waist and hugging him back. "I can't tell you, Laneus. I'm oathsworn to tell no one... but I can tell you, that I don't want to go back in there. I'm the acolyte that serves under the Lady Rhyanon, Laneus." She stopped, moved her jaw, reaching up to grab at her neck as if choking then she shook her head. "You see? I can't tell you more." The blonde girl explained before she reached out to hammer her thin fist on the wooden door of the High Temple. A male Acolyte, a few years younger than Aileen herself, opened the door slowly and peered out at Aileen, narrowing his eyes at Laneus. "Aileen, she's looking for you. Who's this? New recruit?" He asked gruffly, pointing at Laneus.

"His names Laneus, Cyrneous. He walked me home after Nerat at the Tangled Ivy was killed. Did you not recieve word that he'd been killed from the Lower Temple?" Aileen replied, her voice sharp and almost defensive as she glowered at the male Acolyte.

Inside the Inn, Bottom Floor:

Baelar finds Brie and Raina together in the kitchen area, Brie clutching her arms around Raina and preventing the older woman from rushing at the fire that was spreading down the wall from above, a simple apron in her hands, apparently having attempted to beat the flames out herself, from the burn marks on the woman's forearms. "Raina! Leave off! We need to leave the Inn or we'll die!" Brie shouted to her aunt, trying to haul the woman towards the still open doorway, but Raina will not be moved.

"I can't leave the Inn to die! It'll be like leaving Nerat behind!" Raina shrieked, clawing at her own face and pulling her hair in her anguish and frustration as she tries to escape Brie's iron-grip once agian.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In such commotion, Baelar could do a few things. His mind gave options:

Try to put out the fire himself, tell the two women to go;

Put out the fire with the women still in the room;

Have all of them get away.

Considering everything, nobody could put out those fires that spread faster than the eye could blink. It was really futile to try putting them out.

"Mrs. Raina! Miss Brie! The upper floor is almost completely consumed, we cannot put the fire out in time! Let's move!"

He rushed to the women, fully equipped and yet light enough to sprint, such was his gear. As he saw that Raina was trying everything she could, he felt his heart sink. As it did, he steeled himself.

"Call me a bastard, hit me or kill me afterwards, but I will not let you die here as well, Mrs. Raina."

He went off and grabbed her, put her on his shoulder and carefully yet swiftly treaded towards the exit.

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laneus watched as Aileen's explanation was halted, seemingly by magic, as her words were cut off after one sentence. Blood curses, and now this? Just what were the priests capable of? His concern at her choking gestures were cut short by her exchange at the door.

Laneus opted to stay silent for this exchange. Aileen was clearly in her element, and saying anything might further ruin her situation and cause her to scramble for lies or cover stories. If Aileen really was serving under Lady Rhyanon, she probably out-ranked a simple doorman- and indeed, probably most of the temple. Best to stand in stoic silence. Laneus, at least, had nothing to hide. He remained where he stood, continuing to support Aileen and trying not to look away from the door, lest his shy demeanor be mistaken as suspicious behaivor.

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside the Inn...

Baelar reaches the exit unhindered further, Raina screaming in his arms and beating her fists against his back, as she tries to escape his grip. Brie follows closely, still trying to calm her aunt.

"Please, Raina," she says, taking one of the older woman's flailing fists in her hand and squeezing it. "Nerat wouldn't want you to die trying to save the Inn." Brie lets go of Raina's hand, and moves forward to open the door, reaching back to take Baelar's arm to pull him outside. The cool air outside proves to be a sharp contrast to the heat of the invading flames inside the Inn. Through the open door, the fire can be seen to be licking it's way up the walls in flickering orange tendrils, spreading it's way further through the building.

"I cannot just leave it!" Raina cries, her tears staining her face with thin tracks of moisture. "It's not just Nerat...my whole life is in there. Everything that Nerat and I built together, the memories of our marriage and life, the business we built after all those years of toil..." She broke down, covering her face with her her hands, her body a-rack with shuddering sobs. "If The Tangled Ivy is gone, what am I supposed to do?" she says, her voice muffled by her palms.

Outside the Temple, Acolyte Entrance...

Cyrneous eyes Laneus with a mixture of suspicion and snobbish distaste for a moment, then looks back to Aileen. He doesn't reply to her question about the deceased Nerat, merely eyeing her with an expression of irritated boredom.

"Like I said," he drawls, glancing again at Laneus. "She's looking for you, Aileen. So I'd hurry inside and go to her if I were you. She seems rather displeased..." A taunting smirk appears upon Cyrneous's lips, and, though she tries to hide it, for a moment Aileen visibly tenses at the knowledge that her mistress might be angry with her. But then she draws herself to her full height, gaining back the air of confidence from before.

"I will be there in a moment," she replies testily, narrowing her eyes into a slight glare at the doorman. "Please inform Rhyanon that I am back, and that I apologise for my lateness. I will be with her directly, as soon as I've cleaned myself up." Her expression demanded obedience, and with a slight huff, Cyrneous moves away and can be heard retreating along the corridor beyond the slightly open door.

Aileen turns back to Laneus. For a moment she just stands there, then reaches out a hand to trace a long, pale finger down his cheek.

"Thank you for helping me get back here," she says quietly, with a small smile. "I wish I could tell you more...I really do." Her eyes gleam predicting the possible appearance of tears, but she holds them back. Suddenly she darts forward and plants a soft kiss on Laneus's cheek, and hugs him again.

"Will you meet me tomorrow?" she says in a voice that is barely more than a whisper.

Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnation. The building will be a few planks short from total ash now.

Yes, such is the fate of the Inn. But I know someone lit that up on purpose.

Oh? Clever guy I am.

Don't patronize yourself, idiot. Who might've done it?

Obvious suspects, the guys that killed Nerat.

Less obvious suspects are usually the culprits.

So the less obvious suspects... since those guys are just thugs, they were hired.

Yes, idiot. The possibility of that is high.

Well the guy did say they were his crew... could be a random ransacking, like he said?

Insufficient information. All I know is we have to keep an eye for those thugs, and if it really was random, curse them and possibly get back to them. And when I get back to them, find if they were hired.

I am not a one man army.

Who said I should be? Just be sneaky, as things are to be. Casual.

Yes, but what about this?

He looked at the burning Inn and the girls, and kept an eye out for the bystanders.

This was unfortunate, but...

No, I don't mean that. What about the women?

They were devastated, one of them mentally broken and the other one trying to keep it together. And both of them heartbroken.

Play the hero?

I don't play.

I know, I'm just an idiot.

He sat next to the women, frowning in thoughts, waiting patiently. If the need arises, be a shoulder to cry on. If they need a vent, let them hit you. For now, this is the best thing to do.

Watchman, huh... a disgrace is more like it. I should be ashamed.

And I am...

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laneus looked directly into Aileen's eyes, with what he hoped what a confident smile on his face. His heart was beating rapidly, and he could still feel the heat on his check from Aileen's chaste kiss.

"Absolutely. I would love to. I... where should we meet up? You know the city better than I do, that's for sure. I was planning to venture over to the town square tomorrow morning. Is there a landmark we could meet by? Or, oh, I don't know your schedule. Should I meet you here at a time of your choosing?" Laneus started to blush, but for once his questions were necessary. And he wasn't stuttering. That helped too. She liked him! She really liked him!

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside the Inn...

Finally calming down, Raina sinks to the ground and quietly sobs as the inside of The Tangled Ivy continues to burn, the heat of the fire shattering the glass of the windows, and resulting in the flames licking their way into the outside air and up the outer walls of the building. The crackle and roar can be plainly heard as more and more items of furniture and other things are caught by the flames and are slowly reduced to cinders.

Brie gets to her feet, from her position on the ground beside her Aunt, and sighs heavily. In the odd flicker of firelight lights up the red of her hair, and lands upon her face, showing it to be soot-stained with the odd track weaving from her eyes and down to her chin, revealing that, that despite her strength and determination, she too is as devestated as her Aunt. She looks down at Baelar where he's seated beside Raina.

“Thank you for your help,” she says quietly, attempting a small smile. “We might not have gotten out without you.”

She sniffed and swiped a hand across her eyes, smudging more of the soot and tears together. She turns away, looking towards some woods, situated some one hundred yards away, breathing deeply to try and steady her emotions. Suddenly her expression changes to one that is alert and a little anxious.

“There's something in there,” she says, her voice quiet but insistant. “Look.” She backs away a few steps, her eyes still trained upon the dense treeline. Where she is looking, and just inside the borders of the woodland, a dark shape can be seen almost merged with the shadows, larger in bulk by more than three times the size than a man and with a crouched stance hiding a potential monstrous height to match. And at it's heart, two glowing red eyes watch the three...

Outside the Temple, Acolyte Entrance...

Aileen gives a soft chuckle, and grazes her soft knuckles down the side of Laneus's face affectionately.

“There is a great, ancient weeping-willow tree just outside the city...I'll meet you there tomorrow just after noon,” she replied, with a smile. Suddenly the smile falls from her face, as she look back into the distance the way that they came. “What is that? It looks like fire...”

A glow can be seen over the top of the other buildings, flickering and shifting much in the manner of flames as Aileen has already stated.

“It looks to be close to the Inn...” Aileen muses, her expression anxious. “Oh god...” Her hand moves to cover her mouth, her eyes filling with tears, and her head shaking. “I should never have...Oh god, Raina and Brie! What have I done?”

She turns to Laneus, her expression devestated.

“This is all my fault! We need to help them...please?”

Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baelar let out a sigh.

Great. It's probably a bear. Or more like an elephanton.

Can I fight it?

Nah, too big.

Can we... run?

Probably a little slower than a horse and three times as strong.

So we're... toast?

Speaking of toast, most animals hate fire.

Ah, I see. Good thinking there.

Don't patronize yourself.

Baelar was a bit scared, but more for the girls than for himself. He could most probably find some place to hide, and in the worst case go back to the inn's yard where the well is.

Speaking of wells...

Another good one. I'm on a roll.

Idiot.

"Ms. Raina... Is there a way to enter the backyard of the Ivy from the point we are at now? If there is one, I want you to stand up and start walking briskly towards it. If not, I want you to walk to the wall of the yard."

That thing will chase us, most probably. What's with all these bad things?

He left out an inwards sigh.

"I will be two steps behind you and walking backwards. If I tell you to run, you should run like there's no tomorrow. Probably won't be if it gets us."

I'll grab a piece of burning wood from the Inn and fend it off only as a last resort. I will most probably die if I do so...

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laneus followed Aileen's gaze over toward the horizon. Sure enough, the telltale smoke of a burning building could be seen, and that was the general direction of the Inn... but wasn't that too much of a coincidence? Could that much misfortune really happen to a place in one night? What could they do about the fire even if they were there? Laneus looked back over at Aileen, and stared into her genuine, terrified stare. "This is all my fault! We need to help them... please?" Laneus felt his soul drop. She knew something he did not, and he had a sinking feeling it was related to the way she had been able to dispatch the brigands so easily...

"It took us so long to get here," stated Laneus, talking out the situation. "By the time you walk back, the fire will- hold still, and forgive me," he said, switching gears. Without further warning, Laneus squatted down, grabbed Aileen by her torso, and scooped her over his shoulder in one effective, if not awkward, heaving motion. It was certainly true that he didn't have the broad, muscular build that many of his friends gained upon adulthood... but you can't grow up on a farm without gaining some form of upper body strength. Aileen was certainly heavier than a ram, but hopefully the adrenaline would help make up the difference.

"I talked... on the way here," panted Laneus, between breaths as he ran down the city streets. "Your turn... what do you know... about that fire?"

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside the Inn...

"Gods, what is it?" gasps Brie, backing away towards her Aunt, who, at Baelar's words, looks up from her grief, pointedly at the young man, and then at the forest where his and Brie's gazes are directed. Her eyes widen and she stumbles to her feet, grasping a hold of Brie's arm.

"There's a gate set into the wall, just around the corner," she replies, her eyes fixed upon the shadowy form. Reluctantly she drags her gaze away from the creature that watches them and sets off in the direction she'd indicated, pulling Brie alongside her. Suddenly there's a great cracking sound from the direction of the forest, and the two women cannot resist pausing to look back, at which point they freeze in horror.

Beyond the treeline, the shadowy figure moves, the cracking sounds coming from branches breaking beneath it's clearly substancial weight, it's footsteps thudding noisily upon the forest floor. It's taller now, ascended from it's crouched stance, looking to be well over ten feet in height. The lowest branches of the surrounding trees give way at it's passing, as it steps out of it's hiding place and into the open air.

Both Raina and Brie let out twin gasps of fear, backing against the garden wall as they do so.

The creature is like nothing that any of them have ever seen. A great four-legged beast, it's body is not unlike that of the wild, woolly cattle* that roam the plains in the west, with great, humped shoulders, and long, matted fur coating the entirety of it's bulk. Unlike the cattle though, the legs are hugely muscular, and the feet located at the end of each are almost like that of a pig, though it's trotters are enormous, each one easily the size of the torso of a medium-build man, and made up of three toes. The head matches it's bovinesque body, though it's maw is wide and dripping, a set of fangs flanked by razor sharp teeth standing sentry along it's upper and lower jaw, and a duo of huge, curling horns extend from either side of it's head, the tips sharp and deadly. A great, long tail whips behind it, a spade-shaped appendage located at it's tip.

As the monster steps fully into the open, revealing it's horrifying form in it's entirety, a strange rustling noise is heard, accompanied by the unfurling and extension of a set of wings, each one some twelve or so feet in length. It's burning, red eyes fix upon the trio, and a growl erupts from it's upcurled lips.

The light of the fire suddenly burns brighter, as the heat shatters the glass in the remaining windows and the flames lick out into the open air. Their glow catches upon something around the beast's neck, a medallion upon a length of thickly plaited twine. The object, intricate in design with a large golden-hued stone at it's bronze heart, clashes somehow with the creature's monsterous appearence...

On the road, back towards the Inn...

Aileen, her gaze tragic and set directly upon the distant smoke and glow of flames, lets out a short squeal as she's lifted from the ground and onto Laneus's shoulder, and rushed at a pace back in the direction in which they came. At his question, she opens her mouth to speak, but, as before, her words are cut off by a choking noise coming from her throat. Tears of frustration threaten to spill, and she presses her palms hard against her eyes.

"I can't tell you..." she replies finally, in a half sob-half whisper. "...All I can say is that it's my fault if anything has happened to Raina and Brie. I shouldn't have gotten them involved..." She couldn't hide the stuttered inhale of breath that followed. "I am sorry, Laneus...I really wish I could say more...I'd tell you everything...I just...I...I can't..."

Even indications that there is anything to tell seem to almost catch in her throat, as if the preventative measures put in place to stop her from speaking of the goings on inside the temple are already waiting to cut her off.

As the Inn comes back into view, the heat is thick in the air, and the stone walls of The Tangled Ivy itself are wreathed in flickering flames.

"No..." Aileen gasps in horror at the site, tears falling freely down her cheeks at the knowledge that the building will soon be no more. "RAINA! BRIE!" She detangles her slight form from Laneus, and starts toward the burning Inn.

Suddenly the sound of answering voices break through the night.

"Aileen?" The voice belongs to Brie, and is quickly followed by Raina.

"Aileen, don't come around here!" The older woman is clearly over the opposite side of the outer wall of the Inn's garden, and her tones are distressed and panicked. "Go back to the temple! NOW!"

Despite the warning, Aileen instantly starts to make her way around to the other side. And moments later, an almighty roar breaks through the night...

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bison

Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, look at that.

Yes, it's quite big.

Quite a piece.

Look at that ham.

Seriously though, daddy always told me medallions are rather important.

I should be a bad boy today, no?

Nah, the beastie will be sad.

Better sad then furious.

Might be furious too.

Oh well.

He drew out his composite bow from the pouch against his right hip, extending it with two in his right hand, drawing an arrow and putting up the bow for the aim.

Can I hit it?

It's still slow.

Moving targets are fine, but that small? If I miss I'm toast.

Yes, well, tough luck. It's not falling back. And I just heard Aileen calling.

I'll rip Laneus' sack off when I see him.

He'll probably need his money you know...

Not that sack.

Ha. Ha.

The arrow was set, his elbow was as straight. All that needed to be done is to let the arrow fly, and may the winds guide it well.

Lovely. Three... two...

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laneus gasped for breath, relieved that his burden was back on her feet despite of the new, terrifying situation. How had she known it was the Inn? Just what had she done? The temple-imposed vow of silence certainly wasn't helping his paranoia, nor was the heat of the flames...

"Aileen, don't come around here! Go back to the temple! NOW!"

Naturally, this was Aileen's cue to run directly into danger. Of course, she was quite possibly the most battle competent of all of them... but what good was it if her skills kept attracting more and more danger? Laneus hesitated, unsure if it was a good idea to rush toward an unknown danger without a weapon. It wasn't, of course, but he did it anyway. If nothing else, maybe he could carry Aileen away? Her ability to flee would certainly be hindered if whatever new spell she was preparing took as much out of her as the last.

Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
25 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aileen's mad dash around the side of the burning building reveals to her the great horned beast, pawing the ground after letting out its almighty, earth-shaking roar, annoucing to all nearby that it does indeed exist and it is angry. The beast's mean red eyes fix on Aileen and narrow, almost as if intellect recognizes her behind that mean glare. Raina struggles to free herself from Brie's death-grip as she hauls her aunt steadily towards the back door of the garden, to protect her some how. Almost as if its gaze is drawn by the struggling two women, the beast jerks its head around to face them, with a much quicker and more fluid ease than any would have thought possible for a creature of this size. Terrified, Raina let's out another scream and bolts in Aileen's direction, and when Raina breaks free of Brighid's grip, the beast strikes for her, lowering it's curved horns and charging for the middle-aged woman.

"Auntie! No!" Brie shouts, tearing after her aunt, and shoving her to the ground with both hands, just in time to look down at the two red-stained horn-tips poking through the front of her gown. She looks down at Raina, who is pulling herself upright from the ground and staring in horror at her niece's demise. Then she heaves and vomits on the ground, unable to continue looking at Brie's mangled corpse.

The beast raises its head, blood still dripping down from the redheaded girl's corpse skewered on it's horns, held aloft like a macabre trophy. It fixes those mean red eyes once again on Aileen, and Baelar, Laneus, Aileen and Raina all hear a voice that sounds like wet fingernails on a chalkboard snake out and caress their ears with it's grating chuckle.The price has been one for one. Next it will be two for one, little priestess. Your mistress binds heavy magic to using powerful gifts without her permission.

Aileen's clutched her fingers to her face in shock, having gone completely colorless when she saw Brie die the way she had. Now, she quivers in fear, rooted to the spot by beast's eyes, and speech. A general feeling of dread and hopelessness permates the entire area, seeping in through pores and right down through to the bone. Raina's violent fit of being sick soon wears away and she simply faints clean away when she looks up and spots Brie's form again.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did just...

No...

Baelar kept looking at the beast, magic talk... something of price... no.

Must be the blood curse she did... That means that the ruffian is dead.

That also means that... she's to blame?

What would...

Coulda woulda shoulda didn't do.

Brie is dead, I know.

Yes.

What now?

He feebly put his bow back into it's folded version in his holster, then walked straight to the still timbering Inn. He rummaged through the wreckage until he found what once was the bar and grabbed as many bottles as he could carry, five six... it doesn't matter.

He sat down on the grass, five feet away from Brie's corpse and unconscious Raina, and gulped down the fiery liquid.

It was pointless, he wouldn't get drunk the way he wants to...

He wants to...

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laneus could do nothing but stare hopelessly as the actions of the beast unfolded. Even if he'd had a weapon, the beast radiated such an evil aura that it seemed no mortal could cause it harm. Gods help him, what was that thing?

And then it spoke. Her mistress? Just what was going on in that temple? Until now, Laneus had assumed that Aileen's fear was not unlike a guilty child confessing to a strict parent. But between her vocal bind, and this... horrific monstrousity, Laneus no longer knew what to think. All his life, he'd been a religious person. Growing up on a farm, you almost have to be- much better to hope that there's someone out there, helping your crops grow, keeping your animals safe, carefully choosing each day's weather... but this... this looked to be a beast from Hell itself. Anyone who allowed the use of this abonination as a regulator... heck, anyone who allowed this beast to exist... could not possibly be on the side of good.

Laneus glanced sideways at Aileen. She was the reason the beast was here, and she was the one most likely to end the nightmare. But with Brie dead on the ground, would she have the strength?

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aileen, her gaze remaining transfixed upon the beast before her, backs away a few steps, her cheeks awash with tears of fear, grief and guilt. The creature itself continues to watch her, the gleam in it's ember-like eyes seeming to hold a vindictive, smug quality.

Suddenly the flesh of the beast begins to melt. Before their very eyes, the skin and hair upon it's back turns to liquid, dripping down it's slowly dissipating flanks and falling to the ground with a loud hiss, steam erupting from where each droplet hits. Fur, skin, muscle - each one changing and disappearing, until finally there is only a skeleton left. Even though it's eyes have long melted away, the beast continues to face Aileen, a hideous grin upon it's ivory visage, and one knows that somehow, it can still see. Then the bones start to crumble, the fine grains blown away on the wind, until there is nothing left.

A loud clanging follows the beast's departure. The medallion that was seen to be around it's neck is now on the ground where the creature had been standing, still in one piece.

Though her eyes are fearful, Aileen steps forward and bends down to pick up the medallion. It is nearly the width of her two palms combined in diameter, and clearly made of bronze, though there are accents of gold upon the emblem, which is unfamiliar even to the learned Aileen. The medallion depicts a hanging man, his stomach sliced open and his entrails pouring forth from the gash. Aileen frowns, her face a mask of confusion and horror.

Finally she turns to Laneus, approaching him, and holding out the medallion for him to see.

"I've never seen this emblem before," she states quietly, unable to stop herself from looking at the fallen and bloodies body of Brie, tears instantly entering her eyes at the sight. "Gods, what have I done...?" Her eyes moved to look at Baelar, who's intention is clearly to drink away the memories of the night. She looks again to Laneus. "We cannot let him drink himself into oblivion. As of yet, not a single one of you is safe. We're dealing with magics that are beyond even my comprehension..." She suddenly took on a helpless expression. "I don't even know what I should do...I don't know what will happen to me if I go back to the temple, and even less so if I do not..."

She pauses for a moment, then pushes aside the thoughts and walks over to Baelar, kneeling down beside him, and placing a hand upon his shoulder.

"I'm so sorry about what happened here tonight," she utters, her voice shuddering slightly with emotion.

Suddenly the glow of another light pours forth from the forest. Instantly thinking that it's another monster, Aileen gets sharply to her feet and runs over to the still unconscious Raina, looking fearfully towards the trees.

But it's soon apparent that this is something different. As opposed to the shadows and fire that had made up the creature from before, this light is soft and gentle. Soon, shapes can be seen moving through the trees, each of them far smaller than the beast that preceded them. Finally the shapes leave the forest and step out into the street.

They are human, or at least seem to be in shape and stature. There are nine of them, five of the nine walking freely, with swords at their hips, and the remaining four carrying a curtained and veiled litter between them. Each of them is dressed in fairly tight fitting clothing, showing that both male and female persons are present, and seemingly without discrimination. The clothing that they wear consists of mid-green fitted breeches, ending in long, brown-leather boots, which look to be supple and good for movement. Their upper halves are clad in a a dark-green shirt, with more brown leather making up a waistcoat over the top, secured closed by tough, thick leather string. Upon their heads is a veil, hiding completely their hair, while another section of fabric covers the lower half of their faces, allowing only their eyes to be seen.

The company approach, and when they're close enough, the litter is set upon the ground. One of the five not involved in carrying it steps forward, clearly female in body-shape, though her face, like the rest of her companions, is veiled, so her visage cannot be seen, save for two dark-blue eyes.

"My master and mistress wish to speak with you," she states, speaking to no single person in particular, though she looks around at all, pausing for a moment on the broken body of Brie. "Will you consent?"

Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An apology for the night? I don't know when that ever amounted to be sufficient...

It really is a bad night.

As he saw the approaching persons, he put the bottles away.

Seems like even my feeble attempts to get drunk won't be allowed today.

Yes, well, I know I can't get drunk so much to forget.

My father's curse, strong liver.

He listened, savoring the wind brushing his cheek and three-day stubble.

Are they elves?

Master and mistress? I don't think so.

They do look familiar.

Do they?

Consent?

My will is forfeit for today, I will go with them.

The worst that could happen is that I'll be killed, and that'd be nothing new considering the evening.

"I consent, but I have a request first. We cannot simply leave Brie... We need to at least carry her somewhere where the animals won't get her."

A bit rude, asking for something before something can be done.

Screw yourself, I'm royally pissed.

Yes, I know. But still...

I was polite enough, I'm lucky my lines are still coherent from all this stress.

Oh come on, if something works during stress it's you.

I feel so tired...

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a huige difference between knowing that the supernatural is out there, and actually seeing it in front of you. The departure of the beast was so gruesomely surreal, Laneus had no doubt he would be reviewing that scene again in his nightmares. Now that the fey had arrived, Laneus was simply exhausted. He hadn't really even done anything, except carry Aileen for a few sprinted blocks, but this was shocking life moment... 3? He couldn't decide if Aileen's first curse to scatter the bandits counted, nor if the hell beast and the church's sinister motives were distinct enough to be separate incidents.

"I have no idea what to think anymore," said Laneus. "I haven't known what's been going on the for the past few hours, now. I surrender my consent to Aileen, whose judgement I trust completely. If she consents, then so shall I."

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The female who appeared to be in charge of the guard gave a short nod at Baelar's response.

“We have not the time for a burial,” she replied, gazing at him intently as she spoke, her lips and majority of her visage invisible behind her veil. “But, as there is a fire already burning, would you consent to a cremation?” She indicated the still burning Inn behind them, regarding him with her dark-blue eyes.

At Laneus's reply, her gaze shot to him without waiting for Baelar's answer to her question and she shook her head firmly.

“The girl cannot come with you, she is tainted by the enemy,” she stated firmly. “There is much good within her, but we cannot permit her within the boundries of our realm. The enemy rests atop her soul, like a scarf gently draped about her neck, seemingly innocent enough, but the taint is strong, and we cannot risk the evil one entering our sacred grounds.”

She paused for a moment, regarding Aileen.

“Like I said though, she has a good soul...She will remain here under the watch of my guards until we return, at which point, my people and I will take measures to help her. Will you consent to such terms?”

Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I have no problems with that... but it's not my place to consent to her cremation... Raina?"

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took Laneus a few moments to register their words. "We're... following you? Then why did you bring a litter if..." He paused, and took a moment to consider his words. He looked around- the smouldering Inn, the sight of Raina, the hideous medallion left behind by the beast, and Aileen...

"I still don't know what's going on, but I will do whatever I can to accept. If she's not worried, then neither am I. I agree, and accept."

Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
25 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aileen hangs her head in acceptance of the newcomers terms and clutches the medallion tightly in her hand as she sits down on the ground, burying her face in her free hand, her shoulders shaking slightly as she takes a deep shuddering breath to try and make sense of all that had happened.

At Laneus and Baeler's urging, the speaker kneels down beside Raina and squeezes her shoulder, speaking gently. "I know you were attached to Brie, dear, but I think it's time you come home. We can put her body in the flames and none will be able to desecrate her form. Do you consent to this solution?" Raina looks up into the face of the person holding her shoulder and recognition flickers through her expression before she nods slowly.

The leader gives a hand wave to her comrades and two of their number move forward and takes Brie’s body into their strong hands, carrying her with reverence and respect to the burning Inn. For a few tense moments after the two leather clad newcomers duck into the burning building, it looks as if they may not return… but then they come running out of the back kitchen door, coughing and brushing soot off of their uniforms. One goes up to the leader while the other returns to his or her position with the others. “We laid her on one of the tables and dragged it to the place where the fire burns hottest.” The speaker’s voice is distinctly male and he bows before joining his teammate with the rest.

The leader of the new comers makes another hand gesture and the guards lower the litter on the ground, pulling open the curtains to reveal a silk-covered interior with soft, comfortable pillows on top of the litter-cushion. “Raina, come.” The leader takes the middle-aged woman’s hand gently and leads her to the litter, helping her inside. Then she turns to the two boys left. “ Come. The rest of the city cannot see you leaving this scene. The litter is for discretion and to help Raina make her adjustment back to her home.” The litter is large enough for all three of them to sit in comfortably, and four of the leather-clad guards leave their positions around their comrades to sit down on the ground with Aileen.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're up for a ride.

The night was full of those.

Pillows and blood. Quite a pair.

And fire.

Humans bring death wherever they go.

But humans are just like cattle to the more dangerous creatures.

It is a human folley to think us strong.

For now we're weak. For now we follow.

Maybe we'll die? I don't care.

If I make something out of this, I'd be happy.

And if not?

I'll greet my dad then. And perhaps finally meet the rest of the family.

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laneus paused once again at their odd word choice. Back to her home? Hadn't Raina's home been here? He shook his head, in the grand scheme of things, it probably didn't matter much. There was enough confusion immediately affecting him, without wasting time on all of the rest of it. Best to take it all in one aspect at a time. Laneus walks over to the litter, dazed yet excited by the chance to ride in something he'd always assumed was far above his social standing.

Before boarding, he took one last look back at Aileen, and made what he hoped was a cheerful, confident smile. "It can only look up from here, huh? Wait for us. I'll come back for you, and we'll get you through this." Granted, it's not like there were any other options for Aileen at this point, but it felt like the thing to say.

Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
25 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leader of the leather-clad guards follows them into the litter, seating herself just in front of the curtains as they fall shut and her comrades tie the fastenings tightly; now, the four of them can see everything on all sides, but no one can see inside the litter to find out just who is inside. Once the litter is picked up and begins to move, the guard looks around and then removes the coverings from over her face and head. She has short brown curls, olive skin and wide dark blue eyes rimmed in kohl as is the common tradition with women in the West country.

"I'm sorry for all the mystery but I had to get you all out of there." She begins, resting a hand on Raina's ankle. "My name is Thalia, and I'm an acolyte to Lady Selene of Lorelai's water temple. That is where we're going. She's sent us at the request of Leander, Nereus, Taneth, Moana and Larissa who are our leaders as well." Thalia looks sadly down at Raina's shocked and still form, patting her ankle in reassurance. "Raina was an acolyte-in-training before she married that man. The Lady in charge gave her permission for the union, under the condition that if anything should happen to her husband, Raina would return to her homeland."

Thalia sighs heavily and then removes her heavy leather boots, dropping them outside of the curtains into the hands of one of the guards who is not carrying the litter. "What are your names, and how did you come to survive that fire?" She points back in the direction of the furiously burning Inn.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing how for some reason everything turned to him first, (Razz), Baelar spoke in his usual serious tone.

"My name is Baelar Warlow, miss Thalia. I was awake at the time I heard something hit and break on the second floor, and when I got out of my room I saw everything ablaze. Luckily I didn't go to bed yet and I was still clothed and equipped. I rushed to the first floor and saw Raina and Brie... and I rushed them out."

I could use a cold drink now.

Cold and hot?

Hmm... some cold ale...

No, not alcohol. Something sweet might be better.

To wash away the bitter taste?

Exactly.

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laneus couldn't decide how to feel- although perhaps his confusion at the thought of warring church factions was the strongest feeling rushing through his mind. Every passing moment, he felt more and more out of place among this group. He'd do what he could, of course, but... what could he possibly contribute to the greater good?

"My name is Laneus, and... I, uhh, I wasn't anywhere near the Inn until the final moments. I was walking Aileen back to the temple. She had, umm... well, some sort of spell had taken a lot out of her, so I helped her back. When we saw the smoke on the horizon, Aileen knew she needed to be there instead. So, I carried her back, and once she was there, I think that's when the beast manifested itself. And then, umm... there was the medallion, and it started speaking, and..."

Laneus trailed off, hoping that he wouldn't have to be the one to describe the beast's attack- if it even needed to be explained.

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
918 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elsewhere in the Kingdom of Istraal...*

The trek up to the peak of the great mountain Orsha was a long and hard one. The figure cloaked in black had been travelling continually for the best part of two days. He'd stopped for neither food nor water, merely getting by on the thought of reaching his destination as quickly as possible. Though his form was entirely hidden by his black garb, it was plain that he was of considerable height, his physique narrow and wiry.

Tiredness beginning to catch up with him, he finally reached the peak. Orsha was foretold in the religious books of the temples below to be the place where the gods would meet to seek each other's council. And maybe at one time it truly had been. But the figure in black knew better. Orsha was indeed a place sacred to a god, but none of those worshiped by the fools in the land below.

It was taught by the Priests and Priestesses of the temples that long ago the Dark God Tristis had fought against the other Gods, determined to spread his vision of evil across the Four Kingdoms, as they had been called at the time. It was told that the Goddess of Light, Istra, had vanquished him, turned him to dust and cast his remains across the whole of the Four Kingdoms, scattering his body so that he would be unable to regenerate himself. But each living creature that a speck of the dust touched upon was instantly tainted, and so evil remained in the world though the God himself was gone. And again, maybe it had been so...once. But things were now different, for whatever reason a person wished to speculate. Tristis, God of Darkness was returned and growing in power all the time...and barely a soul even knew of it. Orsha was now his domain, and this man was his servant.

The Figure in Black stood atop the very peak, raised his arms and cried to the cloudless sky, a song of a language long lost to the world. The sky around the peak of Orsha began to darken, a bruising of thick cloud gathering forebodingly, blocking out the deep midnight blue and it's scattering of stars with their dense grey form.

"TRISTIS!" he bellowed, calling to his master. "GRANT ME MINIONS, OH POWERFUL ONE! GRANT ME AN ARMY TO DESTROY ALL OF ISTRAAL AND THE UNWORTHY SOULS WHO RESIDE WITHIN HER!" Taking out a knife, he whispered the blade across his palm, watching as a his own blood fell to the ground, hissing upon contact.

Instantly, the wind began to swirl around him, whipping beneath the cloak that covered him, revealing more black garb beneath. Thunder roiled within the clouds above, and lightning lit up the sky in shades of deep purple and red. As the Figure in Black watched, a vortex appeared at the centre of the clouds, as it lowered towards him. Shapes swirled within the shifting grey, and he covered his eyes against the dirt and dust disturbed by the power of the vortex as it touched the earth. The force of it pushed him back and to the ground. Then suddenly it was gone, leaving only the dark clouds in the sky above, with the odd flash of lightning.

The Figure in Black looked up and then around the area. His gaze fell upon a set of two tiny, glowing green orbs in the darkness. Then another pair...and another. Scattered around the peak of Orsha, he counted nine sets of eyes, the long-limbed bulk of the owners just visible beyond them, cast into shadow. The Figure in Black looked up to the sky in disbelief.

“MY DIVINE GOD, MY LORD, THIS ISN'T AN ARMY!” he lamented, raising his arms again pleadingly. “I NEED MORE IF I AM TO DEFEAT THE UNWORTHY!”

A rumbling sounded in the sky above, distinctly different from the thunder. Then a deep, cutting voice began to speak, it's tone grating and hard, enough to make the hair on ones neck stand on end, and yet as quiet and whispering as the wind.

“...That is all I can give you...for now...If you need more...then a sacrifice must be given. Blood...blood of the innocent...blood of the righteous...blood of the brave and good and true...I shall eat their hearts, and drink their souls...and then...you shall have your army...”

And with that, Tristis was gone, leaving only the shifting, grey clouds hovering over the peak of Orsha, slowly spreading outwards across the sky.

In the litter, on the path to the Water Temple of Lorelai...

Thalia listened to the two young men quietly, her dark eyes intense as she took in all the details. She frowned concernedly at the mention of the beast, and even more so at the news of the medallion. She fixed Laneus with her gaze.

“So you didn't see how the beast appeared?” she said, then instantly turned to Baelar. “And where were you when the monster showed itself?”

She sat back in her seat, the olive-coloured skin of her forehead wrinkled in thought and her eyes downcast, as she tapped her fingers against her thighs, clearly trying to figure out the how and the why of the occurrence. Then she looked back at them, leaning forward, propping her elbows upon her knees and resting her weight against them.

“What of this medallion?” she questioned, looking from one to the other. “Where did it come from, and where is it now? Did either of you see what it looked like? Was there an inscription, like a spell or something? Any details that you can give me will help towards discovering how all of this came to be.”

She regarded them for a moment, waiting for an answer, when the litter suddenly came to a halt, and she looked up with a frown.

“What the hell?” she said, opening the curtain of the litter and hopping outside, calling to one of her men. “What's going on?” she enquired, her voice loud enough to still clearly heard inside the litter.

“Look Thalia,” the man replied. “There, upon the horizon, about the peak of Mount Orsha...”

*- This is just extra info for later installments, neither of you will know any of this...yet. Wink

Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
726 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Miss Thalia... what are we looking at... exactly?"

Beyond Good and Evil
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
913 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laneus frowned at Thalia's concern over the medallion. Was it really that important? How dangerous was it? How dangerous would the things who might want it be? They'd left Aileen and the medallion alone with only a small cluster of priests- would that be enough? Was it a magnet for evil, or just a remnant of an evil already past?

Laneus didn't even bother looking out the stopped litter when everyone else showed concern over Mt. Orsha. What could he do about the mountain? It would be just yet another uncontrollable thing to worry about. And if it truly was worth concern... well, someone would tell him about it soon enough.

Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
25 Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thalia's eyes narrowed in first shock then fury. "How dare they... now! Of all times!" She snapped aloud in a snarl, flinging open the litter's curtains and scrambling out. "Give them weapons and arm yourselves. The Water acolyte commanded her companions as she hopped around on one foot, attempting to put on her shoes again. The sky just outside of the litter's now flapping curtains revealed a smoke-black sky, roiling with activity and a sickly greenish-tinge.

"Come on." One of the males reached into the litter with two long bows and quivers of fresh arrows, as well as a selection of daggers and blades for the two of the men inside to choose from. "Leave her for now. If we all fall, it'll be down to you two to take her to Lady Selene at the Water Temple." He said quickly, ducking back out and joining his comrades to face what looked like a low lying cloud that was slowly creeping down from the peak of Mount Orsha towards them... until spindly limbs and yellow-green eyes could be seen within the smoke and a low, grating laugh could be heard.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Group Role Plays All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: