Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
First Word story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Reality Road - General Fiction SGs -> Storygames - General Fiction
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Key
King

Topics: 207

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

Sorrow was David's life now. His love, his reason for living, had been ripped from him in a sudden twisting of metal on the Interstate, leaving sorrow in her place. Alone in bed, he waited for the next day. It must have been about 5 when the phone rang. After a brief temptation to ignore the ring, curiosity got the better of him and he dragged himself across the room and picked up the phone.

"Hello?" Nothing. Irritated, David said "HELLO?" again.

"For two years she was cheating on you," came a whispered voice. "He killed her when she broke it off."

David gasped. He had suspected Lila had been seeing someone - she'd spent too many nights "working", seemed too distracted - but he'd never imagined it had anything to do with her death. "Who is this?" David demanded. The phone went dead.

Placing it on the receiver, David felt something new. His life wasn't just sorrow now. He had a purpose, something to look forward to: revenge.

"The best thing is just forget it, get on with your life," said Carl.

David stared at him. "What are you talking about? How could I just forget it if someone killed her?" His voice began to rise, and Carl looked nervously around the restaurant.

"A little discretion, please," said Carl. He leaned in and said, "Lila was mixed up in a dangerous scene. Just because she's dead doesn't mean that it's safe now."

"God damn it, Carl!" David hissed, keeping his voice to a whisper. "I thought it was an accident, and you're telling me you knew it was murder?"

"No one knows what happened that night," said Carl. "Yet."

David narrowed his eyes and waited for Carl to continue.

"Listen, Lila was working on a big story about the NSA," said Carl. "She uncovered some incredibly damaging stuff - military, intelligence operations being used for political ends, very illegal - and I think somebody went after her. How they arranged that accident, I don't know. But whoever did could go after you, too - or me, or anyone. Think you're safe, and you're fooling yourself."

"So why didn't she tell me about any of this?" asked David.

"Fear of getting you involved, maybe, I don't know - what difference does it make now?"

"Conspiracies like that have always sounded like crazy-talk to me," said David doubtfully. "You're her editor - was there anything solid in this 'story', any evidence that somebody would kill her over it?"

"Maybe nothing that would stand up in court, but there was enough there that she believed her life was in danger. And she was right."

"Let's not argue about what we don't know," said David. "Instead, let's find out what really happened. Besides you and me, is there anyone else she might have talked to about whatever was going on?"

"Of all the people mixed up in this, there was one person she trusted - her main source. And he's gone missing since she died."

"Well, that sounds like a good place to start. What can you tell me about him?"

Carl hesitated, then reached down to his briefcase to his side and took out a thin folder. With a nervous look around the restaurant, he pushed it across the table to David.

"What is this?" asked David.

"He was a friend of hers from college who went to work for the NSA," said Carl.

David opened the folder. With a quick glance back at Carl, he began to read.

The road was dark and steep, and David had to focus to keep his car from being blown to the side by the gusts of wind that swept across the mountain. He had followed Norton's trail for two months - two months of dead-ends, brushoffs, and friends who knew nothing, until he'd finally found Norton's connection to the cabin. Norton had been Lila's source, and he'd suddenly disappeared right after she died - he had to know something. However desperate or clever Norton was, David swore to himself he would catch him and find out what he knew.
plausible_follicile
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking
Key
King

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

Sorrow was David's life now. His love, his reason for living, had been ripped from him in a sudden twisting of metal on the Interstate, leaving sorrow in her place. Alone in bed, he waited for the next day. It must have been about 5 when the phone rang. After a brief temptation to ignore the ring, curiosity got the better of him and he dragged himself across the room and picked up the phone.

"For two years she was cheating on you," came a whispered voice. "He killed her when she broke it off."

David gasped. He had suspected Lila had been seeing someone - she'd spent too many nights "working", seemed too distracted - but he'd never imagined it had anything to do with her death. "Who is this?" David demanded. The phone went dead.

Placing it on the receiver, David felt something new. His life wasn't just sorrow now. He had a purpose, something to look forward to: revenge.

David stared at him. "What are you talking about? How could I just forget it if someone killed her?" His voice began to rise, and Carl looked nervously around the restaurant.

"A little discretion, please," said Carl. He leaned in and said, "Lila was mixed up in a dangerous scene. Just because she's dead doesn't mean that it's safe now."

"God damn it, Carl!" David hissed, keeping his voice to a whisper. "I thought it was an accident, and you're telling me you knew it was murder?"

"Listen, Lila was working on a big story about the NSA," said Carl. "She uncovered some incredibly damaging stuff - military, intelligence operations being used for political ends, very illegal - and I think somebody went after her. How they arranged that accident, I don't know. But whoever did could go after you, too - or me, or anyone. Think you're safe, and you're fooling yourself."

"Fear of getting you involved, maybe, I don't know - what difference does it make now?"

"Conspiracies like that have always sounded like crazy-talk to me," said David doubtfully. "You're her editor - was there anything solid in this 'story', any evidence that somebody would kill her over it?"

"Maybe nothing that would stand up in court, but there was enough there that she believed her life was in danger. And she was right."

"Let's not argue about what we don't know," said David. "Instead, let's find out what really happened. Besides you and me, is there anyone else she might have talked to about whatever was going on?"

"Of all the people mixed up in this, there was one person she trusted - her main source. And he's gone missing since she died."

Carl hesitated, then reached down to his briefcase to his side and took out a thin folder. With a nervous look around the restaurant, he pushed it across the table to David.

The road was dark and steep, and David had to focus to keep his car from being blown to the side by the gusts of wind that swept across the mountain. He had followed Norton's trail for two months - two months of dead-ends, brushoffs, and friends who knew nothing, until he'd finally found Norton's connection to the cabin. Norton had been Lila's source, and he'd suddenly disappeared right after she died - he had to know something. However desperate or clever Norton was, David swore to himself he would catch him and find out what he knew.

Taking the turns just slow enough to stay on the road, David soon reached the dirt road that led to Norton's cabin.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifting

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Key
King

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

Taking the turns just slow enough to stay on the road, David soon reached the dirt road that led to Norton's cabin. Lifting a trick from an old spy novel, he backed up into the road with his lights off - no one could see him, but he could get out in a hurry if he needed to.
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He
Key
King

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

Taking the turns just slow enough to stay on the road, David soon reached the dirt road that led to Norton's cabin. Lifting a trick from an old spy novel, he backed up into the road with his lights off - no one could see him, but he could get out in a hurry if he needed to. He stopped the car a few hundred yards from the cabin and walked slowly up the path to the cabin, carrying only two things in the inner pockets of his heavy jacket - a voice recorder, and a pistol.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Key
King

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

Taking the turns just slow enough to stay on the road, David soon reached the dirt road that led to Norton's cabin. Lifting a trick from an old spy novel, he backed up into the road with his lights off - no one could see him, but he could get out in a hurry if he needed to. He stopped the car a few hundred yards from the cabin and walked slowly up the path to the cabin, carrying only two things in the inner pockets of his heavy jacket - a voice recorder, and a pistol. Mind sharp as the wind that whipped into him, David reached the cabin door.
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There
Key
King

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

Taking the turns just slow enough to stay on the road, David soon reached the dirt road that led to Norton's cabin. Lifting a trick from an old spy novel, he backed up into the road with his lights off - no one could see him, but he could get out in a hurry if he needed to. He stopped the car a few hundred yards from the cabin and walked slowly up the path to the cabin, carrying only two things in the inner pockets of his heavy jacket - a voice recorder, and a pistol. Mind sharp as the wind that whipped into him, David reached the cabin door. There was smoke curling up from the chimney and the glow of a fire inside.
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully
Key
King

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

Taking the turns just slow enough to stay on the road, David soon reached the dirt road that led to Norton's cabin. Lifting a trick from an old spy novel, he backed up into the road with his lights off - no one could see him, but he could get out in a hurry if he needed to. He stopped the car a few hundred yards from the cabin and walked slowly up the path to the cabin, carrying only two things in the inner pockets of his heavy jacket - a voice recorder, and a pistol. Mind sharp as the wind that whipped into him, David reached the cabin door. There was smoke curling up from the chimney and the glow of a fire inside. Hopefully that meant Norton was both present and at ease.
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With
Key
King

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

Taking the turns just slow enough to stay on the road, David soon reached the dirt road that led to Norton's cabin. Lifting a trick from an old spy novel, he backed up into the road with his lights off - no one could see him, but he could get out in a hurry if he needed to. He stopped the car a few hundred yards from the cabin and walked slowly up the path to the cabin, carrying only two things in the inner pockets of his heavy jacket - a voice recorder, and a pistol. Mind sharp as the wind that whipped into him, David reached the cabin door. There was smoke curling up from the chimney and the glow of a fire inside. Hopefully that meant Norton was both present and at ease.

With a steady hand David rapped three times on the door.
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy
Key
King

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

With a steady hand David rapped three times on the door. Heavy steps sounded from inside the cabin, the handle turned, and the door slowly opened.
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What
Key
King

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

With a steady hand David rapped three times on the door. Heavy steps sounded from inside the cabin, the handle turned, and the door slowly opened.

"What do you want?" asked the gaunt, unshaven figure in the door.
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David
Key
King

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

"What do you want?" asked the gaunt, unshaven figure in the door. David rushed into Norton, pushing him backwards into the cabin.
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The
Key
King

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

"What do you want?" asked the gaunt, unshaven figure in the door. David rushed into Norton, pushing him backwards into the cabin. The door swung wide and the cold wind whipped into the cabin as Norton fell backward, eyes wide in shock and fear.
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do
Key
King

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

"What do you want?" asked the gaunt, unshaven figure in the door. David rushed into Norton, pushing him backwards into the cabin. The door swung wide and the cold wind whipped into the cabin as Norton fell backward, eyes wide in shock and fear.

"Do you know what happened to Lila?" David demanded.
The Powers That Be
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who
Key
King

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

"Who are you?"
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His
Key
King

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

"Who are you?" His voice quivered.
plausible_follicile
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer
Key
King

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

"Answer me!" David growled.
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norton
Key
King

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

Norton stared at David.
The Powers That Be
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before
Key
King

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

Norton stared at David. "Before I answer, just tell me how you found me - and who else knows."
The Powers That Be
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suddenly
kkdestiny
Mayor

Topics: 56

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awe, I just got interested :3

"The Freedom of Magic" Just got its THIRD chapter up!

Hope you all find the time to read them Very Happy *goes off to look for an SG to read*

Note to self: The Elven Moon; Coin; SVI; Black Animals; Two Wolves; Angel Cat
Key
King

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vengeful Moon

Norton stared at David. "Before I answer, just tell me how you found me - and who else knows."

Suddenly the back of David's head was hit by a train, or at least that's what it felt like.
Seraphi
General Fiction Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He
kkdestiny
Mayor

Topics: 56

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poke

"The Freedom of Magic" Just got its THIRD chapter up!

Hope you all find the time to read them Very Happy *goes off to look for an SG to read*

Note to self: The Elven Moon; Coin; SVI; Black Animals; Two Wolves; Angel Cat

Test poll (no point in voting)
Option 1
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Option 2
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0
Who Voted:

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Storygames - General Fiction All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: