Free online storygaming

Chapter 3: First Night
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - The Master of Illusion and Light
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smee

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Chapter 3: First Night  

So far:

Gorin travelled a long way to get to Vlusos for the mages tournament. To announce his arrival he put on an impressive display culminating with a big finale. Finding his way to his accommodation he made himself comfortable for his first evening in a proper bed since his journey began. Whilst receiving a report from his right hand man a rock hurtled through the window, almost colliding with Jarad’s head, saved only by Gorin’s quick reactions. There is something attached to the rock…the story continues.

Chapter 3...

The thing wrapped around the rock caught my interest immediately. I wanted to know what it was, NOW!

“Quick Jarad, open it! What is it?”

I struggled to keep the child-like excitement I was feeling out of my voice. Why was I so fascinated – hadn’t someone just thrown that through my window? I should be doing something.

Jarad, I could see, was even more eager: he was already tearing at the tough fibrous rope that bound a small package to the rock. The rope was reluctant to give way, and even worse, was cutting into his hands as evidenced by the angry red lines of blood that now crossed his fingers. So intent was he on the task at hand that he didn’t even notice or respond to my comment.

The nagging doubt was growing inside me. I needed to see what was in that package – but something wasn’t right. It wasn’t like Jarad to ignore me like that. In fact, why hadn’t he run straight to the window after the rock came through, to see if he could catch the culprit?

Closing my eyes, I whispered to myself whilst rotating my hand in a spiral movement. I finished the spell and opened my eyes. All around the room I could see a pale purple mist, swirling around me and Jarad as if alive.

Understanding crashed through me like a wave. I shouted to Jarad as my hands began another gesture. “Jarad, drop it, it’s a trap – the entire thing is laced with a charm of some kind.”

At the sound of his name he looked up for the briefest second, a small smile of triumph on his face. “I got it! Now let’s see what this is all about.”

In one hand he held the remains of the rope from around the rock. His other hand was reaching for the package.

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” I screamed at him. My right arm stretched towards him and my fist clenched, leaving the thumb sticking out sideways. The package shot out the broken window as fast as it had come in. It had gotten only a few feet into the darkness when suddenly night became day.

A white light of a most beautiful intensity filled my vision. It was so pure. Yellow and red joined the white, dancing together in a perfect blend, but only for a too-brief moment. Then the light was gone. Why had it gone? I wanted it back.

A voice dirtied the experience. I tried to shut it out, but the constant noise dug into my thoughts until the words made sense.

“Gorin, can you hear me? Can you move? Gorin, wake up, we need to go.”

Bizarrely, my eyes were closed – I didn’t remember closing them. It took effort to remember how to open my eyes, but suddenly they snapped open of their own accord. Jarad was crouching over me – I was on the floor.

“Wwwwhaat haaapened?” Trying to speak was a bad idea. My throat felt like fire.

“You saved us, as per usual”

I looked around. We were still in my room, but the whole back wall seemed to be missing. Small flames licked up the edges of a large hole four times the size of the window that used to be there.

“The package. It was a trap.” My voice was stronger now. I coughed a few times, and my throat felt better.

“It sure as hell was, and I intend to find out who it was from and pay them a visit to say thanks.” The cold anger in Jarad’s voice was pleasant to hear. If he was making threats then he wasn’t seriously hurt – good for us, and very bad for our attacker. Despite everything, I couldn’t help smiling.

“Ah, I see you aren’t ‘urt too bad then; look at you, smiling all the damn time. What the hell have we got to smile about!”

“I’m just glad you’re alright, that’s all.” I said as I climbed back to my feet. “What say we get sorted.”

“Aye, you’re right. I’ll go get the landlord.”

As Jarad left, I looked around the room. Closing my eyes again, I repeated the spiral gesture with my left hand. All traces of the purple cloud were gone. The room, though, was a mess. Furniture and parts of the wall were scattered everywhere and covered with a liberal coating of dust. Coughing again, I realised why my throat was so unimpressed. Pointing my little finger at the flickering flames, I drew a mental circle around them whilst waggling my index finger back and forth. The fire hissed and went out with a small rising of smoke and steam.

Jarad appeared with Sindor close behind.

“My good Sirs, how did this happen?” The landlord’s concern for us seemed to overlay his concern for his inn, although the latter was surely a fair worry for him. “Master Jarad said something about an attack?”

“We were attacked Sindor, although the culprit is unknown at this time. I will of course provide recompense for this damage, and I apologise for the disturbance.”

“Recompense…yes, yes, no problem. In the meantime I must find alternate accommodation for you. Allow me to fetch someone to help move your belongings to another suite.”

Again I had to smile. Despite the evening’s events he was forever the host. Before I could reply he’d crossed to the door and yelled down the stairs.

Turning back to us, Sindor said, “Geoff will be here soon. He’s a good lad – works hard, but not too bright, if you know what I mean. Where is he?” Sindor was babbling, so I gestured to Jarad and moved into the relatively undisturbed bedroom. A few minutes later he joined me.

“His lad arrived and they are moving everything to the floor below. It’s another suite, although a little smaller.”

“Excellent, excellent” I replied absently. “Do we have no clues who did this?”

“Not yet. I sent the men out to scout around as soon as I went downstairs, but I don’t expect they’ll find anything at this time. We’ll have to wait until morning and figure this out the hard way. What I don’t understand is how you knew it was a trap?”

“I felt something odd. I instinctively checked it out and saw that the entire thing was covered with a charm of some kind. It seemed to make us obsessed with opening the package – and we know why.”

“That makes sense. I remember saying ‘Thanks’ to you for stopping it from hitting me, and then I was about to run to the window and see who it was. Suddenly I saw the rock and all thoughts just disappeared. I wanted to know what that package was and nothing else.”

“It’s complex magic – we aren’t looking for a common thug with this one. We are going to have to be careful.”

“Great. And there you were thinking this tournament would be fun. We’ve only been here five minutes and already we’re right in the thick of it.”

“Would you have it any other way?” I goaded him. “But enough of that. I’m going to get some sleep before I collapse. What are our options for tomorrow? It’s going to be a busy day.”

“Don’t you think it would be wise for you to stay out of sight tomorrow? Maybe let things calm down a little.”

Jarad was trying to look innocent, as if he didn’t know how I’d react to this suggestion. Cutting through his protective nature, I responded, “I don’t intend to hide away from this guy, Jarad. I’m not exactly defenseless.”

“I know Gorin, it’s just that…ah never mind, you were never going to hide away. You need to go and register your arrival at the Arena, and pick up the details of your first fight. I’ve heard it’s Gregoh but it’ll be worth finding out for certain.”

“You mean carry on as if nothing happened?”

“It’s a good way of drawing out an enemy. I can have you followed so that we can try and spot who is after you.”

“Ok, I’ll think about it. Tell Sindor I’m going to sleep in here tonight, I haven’t the energy to move to another room now. You go to the new room, get things setup and I’ll see you first thing.”

I could see he was about to protest but I cut across him. “He won’t attack again tonight and I can take care of this room. No one will be able to get anywhere near here without me knowing.”

Jarad accepted that and left without another word, closing the door behind him. As I sank onto the bed, I began to think about the next day. Perhaps Jarad was right after all. Maybe I should hideout for a day or two. Allowing his spies to find out what they could without me muddying the waters might prove much faster.

I got undressed and set a ward on the door. Without another thought, I fell immediately into the deep sleep of exhaustion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s that time again folks – I need to know what Gorin is going to do in the morning.

Will he hide out and let the spies go to work - this could give fast results, but perhaps make Gorin a more obvious target. Maybe he could carry on as normal, hoping the men Jarad has tailing him spots anyone about to take him out. Maybe he could do something else entirely.

Lets see what ideas you have. :)

Don’t forget the usual checking for mistakes, inconsistencies etc.

Happy Commenting :D
Muaddib

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject:  

Gorin should cast an illusion that he was grievously injured and then see his opponents' reactions. (Okay fine that was lame...)
The Powers That Be

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject:  

I think Muaddib has something there...

What was I thinking? The people of Vlusos are expecting great things from me (especially after the manner in which I entered the city), and I cannot disappoint them. In fact, I could turn this little episode into some more theater...

I'm reminded of the first appearance of Willy Wonka in the old movie version of "WW and the Chocolate Factory". What better way to get attention (and Gorin loves attention) than to appear to be hurt, only to cast off the illusion in spectacular fashion as he approaches the tournament?
Smee

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject:  

Indeed - you both have a good point. Interesting. :D

Keep the ideas coming, and then I'll make a poll. :)
Idea master

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject:  

A gevious attack, but won't the flash warn the attacker that it didn't quite work? I think that not only should he be followed, but maybe our little mage of light walks into another trap? Say the attacker owns a shop, and our dear mage walks on in to buy magical supplies...
:twisted:
You take it from there.
Smee

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject:  

I think the attacker must have moved on, because Jarad sent some men out almost immediately to scout the area. If the attacker had been lingering somewhere to see if the trap worked then he/she would have been caught.

However, as public a figure as Gorin is, no doubt they will soon learn that he survived and try again. A good idea - a shop trap. :D

Sparta - any ideas from you?

And you Phang. :wink:
Phang

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject:  

Smee wrote: And you Phang. :wink:

I thought of something but it slipped away just as suddenly... :evil:
Idea master

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject:  

Aw, did somebody derail your train of thought?
*Walks in front of a train on it's side*
Yup, I guess they did.
Smee

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject:  

OK we have the original ideas:Hide out for a few days until things have calmed down.Proceed as normal, although allow some people to tail you to try and spot the attacker should he/she try againAnd we have Muaddib's idea, expanded by Powers Create an illusion of being seriously injured by the attack - casting it off spectacularly before the first fight.Idea Masters idea could be good for later on as an idea to how the attacker might attack again.

Any more ideas for the actual decision point?

I'll give it the weekend and then make a poll on Monday.

EDIT:

You've had a little longer than Monday, but the poll is now up with the 3 ideas.

Vote away let's see what happens next. Hopefully I will be leading into the first fight in the next couple of chapters.
Smee

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject:  

Where are the votes? :shock:
Muaddib

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject:  

Voted for my own idea
Smee

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject:  

We have a tie with 2 votes to go - (3 votes including mine if it is required to break another tie).

It doesn't look like we will be hiding out, but just how will we respond.

Whilst we are waiting for the last 2 votes, does anyone have any ideas for the option they voted for? Do you have any thoughts on how you see it playing out, any little details you think would be a nice thing to add? Post them in here and it'll help me, and maybe persuade the other team members to vote for your option. :wink:

Cheers. :D
sparta12

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject:  

Okay I have voted for Option C in the polls.
Doesnt look like it'll be a tiebreaker.
Good writing Smee.
Smee

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject:  

OK, sorry people. My bad.

The new chapter is on its way, I got an hour of it done today.

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - The Master of Illusion and Light
Page 1 of 1