Free online storygaming

Chapter 3: First Lesson
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - Spellsinger
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Chapter 3: First Lesson  

Chapter 3

A flurry of conflict stormed within his chest. Jakeen needed the work, but he wanted the instruction offered by the tall robed man. The entire wearying journey on foot had been to discover more of the magic in his music, but the pressing realities of hunger and shelter had to be dealt with as well.

“I accept your offer,” he said confidently to the barkeep. “I’ll play nightly, for the room and ten silvers.”

He then turned and surveyed the disapproving face of the robed man. He wanted to accept his offer as well; although, judging from the look on the man’s face, he had expected Jakeen to dedicate his attentions as a pupil without distractions. The situation could not be helped.

“I would appreciate your instruction, sir,” he said without apology. “I dedicate my days to your tutelage, at whatever time is convenient for you, and for however long during the day as you deem necessary.”

The robed man dismissed his formal speech with a wave of his hand. After Mace departed, leaving the two alone, Jakeen learned the man’s name as Yahoo, and the two set a time to meet the following day.

He returned to the tavern proper, and played until closing. The loud noise of the rough crowd little deterred his pleasure at playing, and the bawdry patrons cheered as he played the series of notes to alternately light or extinguish the lanterns flickering on the tabletops or along the walls. He felt the patterns of the music cross his awareness and leak out of his fingertips, GAB. The flame sprang to life. In a discordant reverse the fire fizzled leaving a wisp of smoke.

Mace meted out his ten silvers and he was shown to a sparse room after the patrons dispersed into the early morning chill. He fell across the bed, and his fatigue from before consumed his mind. A brief but deep sleep left him refreshed as dawn’s first sunlight peeked in through the shutters to awaken him, and he splashed cool water from a chipped pitcher resting on the splintered nightstand, onto his face. He shrugged into a clean shirt, and breakfasted in the steamy kitchen downstairs before striking off to meet the robed man for his first lesson.

Jakeen eagerly absorbed Yahoo’s instruction, and the man’s words filled his mind and inscribed themselves into Jakeen’s very being. Through some of the first instructions Jakeen had to force a patient listening, because the knowledge seemed second nature to him at this point. He did not dare interrupt or rush his teacher, however, and sat with an intense look of interest on his face. Yahoo presented the most obvious fact first: similar to casting a spell, bards shape the forces of magic through the vibrations of their songs and cause an effect in all who are listening.

The lesson continued with a little history, revealing traditions in music that Jakeen had never suspected. An ancient art, countless generations of bards had handed down the subtleties of song magic. The techniques involved in creating magic from music were complex and considered a trade secret by most spellsingers.

Bards play up to 12 different musical notes. There are the whole-step notes A B C D E F G – and five half-steps in between. Since sharpening a Whole Note simply raises it a half-step and flattening one similarly lowers it, each of these five notes is known by a double name. A# (A sharp) = Bb (B flat). C#=Db. D# =Eb. F#=Gb. G#=Ab. While the musical notation remained similar in transcription to more traditional music, bards were able to produce special sounds that went beyond the effects of ordinary music. By using a musical instrument such as a lyre or harp, bards caused magical harmonies.

Jakeen leaned forward in delight as the instructions addressed the making of magic. Yahoo carefully intoned some basic information. Jakeen learned that at least three notes were required to create substantial magical effects, and that up to seven notes could be strung together to create more impressive magic. Too many notes and the combination became unstable, and had been known to result in lethal backfires of the harmonies. The whole notes - A B C D E F G - have heavier weight than sharps and flats. Depending on the order in which they are played, the notes may have lighter or heavier weights.

Finally the time arrived to practice some magic. Jakeen was asked to recall the pleasure notes he had played the night before. He easily remembered the pattern, and the intense addictive rush that the music elicited in both the musician and the audience. He was instructed to play the pattern, and concentrate on controlling the response in himself. He was also cautioned to practice this only when supervised.

A short string of notes spiraled through his head, patterns of power that he could not quite grasp. G# F Eb. Simple to play, and soothing. The lingering effect left him disoriented as he slowly realized that his instructor had removed the lyre from his hands. Again the profound loss, the flare of anger, and the sense of fatigue followed. This process continued for the remainder of the lesson, until he collapsed from exhaustion.

The lowering light of approaching dusk greeted him as he awoke to find himself alone in Yahoo’s room. He had no idea where the tall man had gone, but knew he wanted to return the following morning for the lessons to continue. He left the room and headed to the market, his hunger urging him to spend some of his silvers on a warm meal and cool drink before another night playing at the Wormy Dog.

He sat on the circular stones of a trickling fountain, placing his lyre carefully at his side, and delved into his purchased dinner with relish. His eyes wandered about the city, scrolling from the cobbled streets to the tops of the tallest structures visible from this vantage point. People milled about busily attending personal activities. A group of boys brushed past him and then ducked into an alley, casting furtive glances his way and passing an object behind their backs in an effort to keep it hidden from view.

For one incredulous moment, Jakeen feared his lyre had been taken, although why someone would steal his instrument was beyond his comprehension. He checked hastily to find the instrument safely at his side, only to belatedly realize that the small pouch of his remaining silvers had disappeared. His eyes returned to the shadows of the alleyway as he contemplated what to do.

What does Jakeen do?

Forget about the money, it's not worth it. 0
Call the city watch. 0
Recover the money himself. 3
Ask for help from the patrons at the Wormy Dog. 2
Random

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject:  

The way I see it we have three choices. Get a guard and tell them what happened, go after them ourselves, or let it go.

Personally I think we would go after the money ourselves. We are in a strange town and who knows how long it will take to find a member of the city watch. We are going to need food if we are to possibly keep up this rough schedule.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject:  

What action would we take if we went after them alone? Who else, besides the guard, could we possibly convince to go with us if we follow these boys and determine that the risk of facing them alone is too great?

Good ideas Random. Now lets expand on them!
Random

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject:  

I had thought of that too, going to someone else but who do we know besides Yahoo? Do we know him well enough to ask for this kind of help? The only other person we really know is the tavern keeper. (Does this person have a name?)

Plus we are tired and hungry. Who knows what the kids will do with the money by the time we get help?
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject:  

We don't know a great many people, so I'm interested in finding out the viewpoint of the other team members on this, but we know a tavern full of rough regulars that appreciate our music. They might be willing to help a fella out.

Chp2 wrote: One had a wooden leg, one missed an arm below the elbow, two had eye patches, and all were drinking. Not one of them weighed in at under two-twenty, and they all looked unshaved and dirty. Strangely, though, they all stood and politely bowed as Sarah’s wagon made its way toward the back of the building.

The tavern owner's name is Mace.
jnmrcs

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject:  

ethereal_fauna wrote: This process continued for the remainder of the lesson, until he collapsed from exhaustion.

He is exhausted.

ethereal_fauna wrote: He checked hastily to find the instrument safely at his side, only to belatedly realize that the small pouch of his remaining silvers had disappeared.

He have his lyre. They just take his money, after work he will have more.

He is alone and has no friends here. So he should go to the tavern to work but first he can talk with Mace and/or with the others in the tavern. Maybe they can help him and maybe not but in anyway he isn't late to work and will have money after working.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject:  

Excellent discussion. Keep it coming!

Do you think if we just let the riff raff take our money without any repercussions, that we might be marked as an easy target in certain areas? Would it be prudent to just let it go in that respect?
jnmrcs

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject:  

Right now, it's better let it go. It's better thath than get killed or take a fight and get hurt; because then they will think that you are an easy target and that they can take you out (kick your ***).

I don't know. That's my opinion, but we need to see more opinions to make a better desicion...
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject:  

Any more thoughts or suggestions before the poll goes up? Haven't heard yet from everyone, and I want to make sure all ideas get discussed.
Cowofdoom666

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject:  

If we chase the boys, and catch them, we can "persuade" them to give our money back, how? The Lyre! If Jarkeen gets in trouble, he could use his lyre, sure it's risky, but I'm not gonna let any snotty little brats take my money!
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject:  

Poll is posted, so let's vote!
Mother Goose

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject:  

I'm back. It's going to take a while to catch up on everything that's been going on in the city. Thanks, fauna, for taking over so capably! I vote for going after the purse-snatchers right away before they melt into the alleyways - no time to go back to the inn for help. As Cow says, we have the lyre and if we find them we can "persuade" them. If they can't be found, though, it's not worth pursuing them further. Jakeen can get more money; he won't starve. And as for being known as an easy mark, do you really think a gang of kids in a big city would have a list of preferred targets? They don't know or care who he is - if they see a chance they'll take money, that's all.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject:  

Welcome back Mother Goose! I hope you enjoyed your vacation and travels went well.

I too doubt we'd get a reputation city-wide as an easy mark, but one group of punks could make life miserable in a certain area of the city if they chose to, I'd think. Although tourism seems a popular industry given the tournament and all, and these kids might have just spotted a easy target.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject:  

Alrighty team Jakeen, I have a tie, so someone else needs to vote or else I will be forced to break the tie. (Which I suppose I could handle that.)

Let me know how you want Jakeen to proceed.
jnmrcs

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject:  

I think that you are the one who should break the tie.
jnmrcs

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject:  

Just do it, Fauna...
(use a coin if you need it :smile: )
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject:  

Okay, I'll do it...well, actually I've done it :cool: and the next chapter is in progress.
jnmrcs

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject:  

Nice :smile:

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - Spellsinger
Page 1 of 1