Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 5: Rebellion
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Fish That Walked
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Chapter 5: Rebellion  

The Story So Far: You are Lewellyn, the son of the Merfolk King, though you yourself have the legendary form of a Maker, with two arms and two legs, instead of a merman. To avoid the notice of the Emperor who might see you as a threat to his rule, you were raised on a remote island and always guarded. The mermaid Lalomea slipped past your guards and brought Lodevar the Ram King, another Maker like you, to see you. You decided that you wanted to be with the Ram King’s people, and you told your father so when he arrived. But your father was angry and magically pulled you into the sea, and sentenced you to live among the sharks of the Bone Trench from now on. The soldiers who had guarded your island took you away.

Last Decision: Look for allies among the merfolk soldiers to lead in a revolution.

This day has been one shock after another, and your blood has not stopped pounding in your ears since the Ram King emerged from the water this morning. But speaking out against Father has given you a freedom you’ve never felt before, and the salt water in your lungs energizes you. Anything seems possible now.

“This is not how a King should act,” you say to Mirisian. “A true King has compassion, and keeps his word.”

A silence falls around you. The merfolk who were in earshot stare. Mirisian’s old broad shoulders are hunched and his face is pained; he says nothing.

You’ve known Mirisian your whole life and he’s always been kind to you, but he’s been a loyal subject of Father’s since before you were born. He even fought against Leviathan in the battle that made Father King. You want to convince him, but you think you might have a better chance with the younger merfolk.

You turn to them and raise your voice. “How many of you live in fear of your King? Do you think that’s the way it has to be, or has always been?” It feels good to speak like this. It’s all coming clear to you now; even Horchow’s history lessons are fitting in. “Think back to the beginning of the Age. Neptune’s children loved their father. And the first Fish Kings – they ruled with wisdom and moderation, not an iron fist. There’s more to the sea than power, and there should be more to its ruler too.”

More of the merfolk crowd around, gripped by the ideas that you’re sure many of them have thought but none ever spoken. They look to Mirisian as if seeking permission to hear such treason, but he’s still silent.

“Didn’t you all see him break his most sacred oath? How can you trust your King, when you’ve seen him lie?”

Fearful murmurs run through the crowd. Finally one of the younger merfolk speaks up: “This is not for our ears, Prince. If you disagree with the way your father rules, there’s no need to tell us common soldiers.”

“Oh, this is beyond disagreement,” you say. “He is not fit to be King.”

The merfolk gasp. This is too much of a shock, you’re starting to lose them. You step up your argument. “Listen! How did my father become King?”

“He saved us,” said one. “He defeated Leviathan.” This was more familiar.

“Yes! The old King couldn’t protect Ulderea from Leviathan, he couldn’t be a true King. Father took the throne because he could do better. It’s the same thing now. Father is not a good King. I can be a better one.”

But the argument is too subtle. They look again to Mirisian, expecting him to shut you down. This was a mistake, you think. I should have done this more gradually. But it’s too late now; you’ve got to win them over. You keep your voice steady, trying not to sound as desperate as you feel: “You all know the prophecy. You know that I’m destined to be a great king. This is my time, and the time for all of us to throw off the weight of the tyrant.”

Blank, scared faces. They look back to Mirisian. He still says nothing. You turn to look at him too, the whole school of merfolk gazing up at one old, haggard bullfish of a soldier.

Finally he speaks: “The Prince is right. His Father is not fit to be King.”

“Thank you,” is the first thing you say to Mirisian when you’re alone with him later, after the uproar has died down, after his calm and steady support of you won over the rest of the merfolk. You always knew that the soldiers respected him, but you never realized how much, never knew that they would risk their lives at his word. It’s a humbling thought. You aren’t the leader that he is, yet.

“I’m not sure I helped you,” says Mirisian. “Before I spoke, your words were just rash talk, but now we’ve broken the surface. We’re in rebellion, and more likely than not it’ll mean our deaths.”

“Don’t you think we can win? Father must have lots of enemies.”

Mirisian shook his head. “Far more are afraid and obedient than rebellious. His sons the generals compete for his favor, not to overthrow him. I’m not a gambler, but if I had to guess who will win this war, I’d say the fish will pick our bones clean before you sit in the Royal Palace.”

“Then why did you support me?”

Mirisian smiles. “Because nothing’s certain in the sea. As the saying goes, we make waves but don’t see them break. And because you’re right: your father has turned the sea into a prison, and that’s not what it should be. But maybe mostly because I owe it to you for saving my life.”

“What do you mean? I never saved your life.”

“You did, you did, just a few hours ago. You see, when the King came to our island, he was furious. Lalomea and the Ram King had slipped by and reached you. His first instinct was to get you safely back in the sea, but I could tell that once that was done he was going to kill me. He needed to vent his anger on someone, and I had failed him by letting them through.

“But then you refused to come. That got him even more angry, but he vented his anger on you by dragging you into the sea and sending you to the Bone Trench. He told me to take you away, and forgot all about punishing me.

“So you see what I mean? We can’t tell what’s going to happen. We don’t see the waves break. From what I can see, this rebellion will fail, but who knows? If you want to swim into the depths and stir up the sea, I’ll follow you, and we can ride the current wherever it takes us.

“And with me comes my school: one hundred and thirty two merman soldiers, eight chariots, thirty dolphins, and a whale. I place these in your service, as your first loyal subjects, my King.” And he bows his head.

You smile. “If your men have half the courage and spirit you do, Mirisian, the rebellion is already won. Now as my general, what do you suggest as our next action?”

“I know some others who might be sympathetic to our cause,” he says. “Relatives of mine and some comrades at arms. They’re far from Ulderea, mostly in the Outer Sea, so we have a good chance of recruiting them without being detected.”

“What about the Ram King? What’s happening with him?”

“He’s still on the island, surrounded by many schools of soldiers. Your father is still there, too; he’s creating a storm that will cover the island with water so that he can kill the Ram King.”

“And the Ram King’s people, the Sheepheads?”

“Still on the island of Freehome, with the Bullroars set to invade. Prince Petrosian is leading the Merfolk army in the waters around Freehome, and his orders are to let the Bullroar fleet pass.”

What do you do?

Read the posts below, and click "Reply" to post a suggestion for the Lewellyn’s next action. Anyone is welcome to post. You can suggest what he would do based on his personality, what you think he should do based on what would be best, or just in general what seems like a good idea to you. Feel free to comment on other’s suggestions, but please be courteous.

You're also welcome to ask questions about Lewellyn's background or about the world of the Wheel.

Update: Poll posted. Scroll down to vote!
Reiso

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject:  

Hmmm, some unexpected support. This is good. Here's an idea now, that seems clear to me in the way of pieces to a puzzle fitting into place. We already know that the Ram King is on our side, from an ethical standpoint. True, the exact nature of that is yet to be tested, considering the chaotic parting that there was between them, but this entire change of spirit on Lewellyn's part can easily be traced back to him, and it's no small thing.

It would be difficult with the Sea King holding vigil, and there is the risk of immediate reprisal preventing the whole of the plan from going as well as would be preferred, but what if he took the general and his new loyal subjects to the island and aided the Ram King, then made the following offer: He will ally his forces with the Sheepheads against invasion, if the Ram King in turn lends his forces to the cause of overthrowing the Merking. Of course there are half a bazillion obstacles to this, and timing which one happens first will be crucial, but with a bit of good luck and careful planning, could this feasibly be done? They are really just two different battles of the same war afterall - from a generalized standpoint.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject:  

I have more support than I'd anticipated, but it still is not enough to overthrow Father's unmerciful rule. Although we are few, I should send someone to aid Lodevar- I sense in him a potential ally.

Have Mirisian choose two trustworthy and able merefolk, along with some dolphins, to assist the Ram King. If the Ram King could sneak onto the island, then two stealthy merefolk should be able to do the same.

Then see what Mirisian thinks about contacting Petrosian. If attempting to gain him as an ally would appear futile, let's sabotage the Bullroar's attack on Freehome. There are bound to be discontent soldiers in the army that would abandon Petrosian's leadership to join our revolt. We just might save the Sheepheads and strengthen both of our revolutionary causes.
Merilly Dayzed

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject:  

I would like to meet Mirisian's allies and have them join our army so that we can try to rescue the Ram King. But if we leave Lodovar for too much longer, it'll be too late to save him. So I'll have to send some ambassadors to Mirisian's relatives and have them meet us. Much as I hate to send our General away, he is the only one for the job. I'm sure I can hold command of these men long enough for that to happen. I will need to appoint someone to advise me in Mirisian's absence. I have no military training, other than what Horchow has taught me. This whole plan depends on Mirisian's powers of persuasion, but he is the reason that I am not a prisoner at this very moment. If anyone can convince his own relatives and friends to join us, it'll be him. In the meantime, I'm sure I can cook up some distraction for my father's army so that he stops going after the Ram King.
D-Lotus

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject:  

What about trying to steal the trident thing from the king of the sea...maybe that´s what gives him power. Send your general to gain allies and all that. As for the bullroars, yes, contact the sheepheads, tell them everything, then ATTACK Petrosian. The best way for their numbers not to have advantage is by creating some sort of trap.
my self

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject:  

As others have said, send ambassadors of some kind to Mirisian's allies. I would recommend going around Pretrosian's army and trying to thwart the Bullroar fleet's attack. Perhaps convince them the Merfolk won't let them pass.
Ravenwing

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject:  

I pondered the facts. Father is probably too distracted with stirring up the sea and inciting the death of the Ram King. I knew Petrosian would not be much of a potencial ally, for he followed Father to the word. Perhaps with a little push, I could incite a mutiny of some sort in the army surrounding Freehome. Or something that would hinder the Bullroar attack from making too much damage. And together with the number Mirisian mentioned, I could do something. I knew the Ram King already had too much to deal with, and so that left me to help his people.

I saw reason in his actions. And if I wanted to prove my worth to him, saving his people seemed a worthy cause. But those that reside in the outer reaches of the sea...what perfect allies they would make. I made my decision. I would send a few of the men I had as messengers to those who resided in the Outer Sea. And together with Mirisian and whatever else I had, I will make contact with those that resided in Freehome, and offer my assistance. I do not know what their reactions may be, but I knew I had to do something.
Key

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject:  

OK, poll's up! I'm assuming that you could be doing several things at once, but the poll is asking which you personally do as Lewellyn.

Happy voting!

:)
Muaddib

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject:  

I voted to go to the Ram King, our most natural ally.
Random

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject:  

I too went with the rescuing the Ram King but only because I have a very one solution at a time mentality. We know the Ram King is in danger now. We do not know when the attack on Freehome will occur. While I believe all of the choices have their importence, right now we know how much danger the Ram King will face.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject:  

I would personally go to rescue the Ram King, but that is where Father is and I'm not ready to face him yet. I'll let Mirisian tend to the rescue, and I personally am heading towards Freehome and the prospect of swaying Petrosian's troops.
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject:  

Steal the trident. With the trident you will be reassured with your power and will be able to stop the other pests easier.
Key

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks for the votes. Your decision was to rescue and ally with the Ram King. Chapter 6 is posted based on that decision.

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Fish That Walked
Page 1 of 1