Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 4: Subtle Suggestion
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - Spellsinger
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Chapter 4: Subtle Suggestion  

So Far: Jakeen, a young bard, has traveled to Vlusos to see if anyone there could help him understand the magic of his music. He arrived penniless and tired, into a city in full festival mode. The great tournament of the Lyceum was taking place. Jakeen found a comfortable carriage behind a stable to spend the night in. After a brutal encounter with the keeper of the carriages, Jakeen ended up at the Wormy Dog, where he obtained employment and a mentor...

Chapter 4

Jakeen had watched three boys disappear into the alleyway. His naiveté galled him. How could he have sat there and let his purse be stolen so easily? The evening closed fast and Mace would expect him to play soon. If he didn’t recover his money now, then most likely those street rats would blend into the cobbled stones, and he’d never see his pouch again. Without further deliberation, Jakeen followed his money into the dimly lit gash between the structures.

The boys had gathered at the end of the alley, and five now conspired over his purse with some snatching and scuffling over who would open it. None took notice of his quiet approach.

“Lemme ‘ave it,” slurred a tall lanky youth, grabbing the jingling pouch from a portly lad.

The scruffiest looking of the bunch casually took the pouch from its new possessor, and wordlessly sneered as the boy relinquished the item. A couple of grumbles and murmurs resulted in pushing and scuffling.

“I’ll have that back,” said Jakeen evenly. “That will solve your problem readily.”

Their own dispute abandoned, the boys turned to face Jakeen. His pouch disappeared once more behind the scruffy boy, and the group lined up to face him. He spared a momentary thought that his coming into the alley might not have been the most prudent idea, and when small blades appeared in the boys’ hands, Jakeen swallowed reflexively in an effort to rid his throat of the large ball of cotton that had sprung open there.

He strummed softly across the strings of his lyre, recalling those patterns he’d recognized for so long, and the instructions Yahoo had recently provided for tapping into their power. F A D E, the notes spilled from the instrument and wrapped around him, the sound echoing off the brick walls of the alley.

“Whut da?” a pimply-faced boy muttered, confusion twisting his forehead into a cratered landscape of ridges and valleys. “Where’d he go?”

It had worked! Jakeen dimmed with the force of the spell, and moved in the poorly lit alley like a silky shadow along the wall. The stunned boys huddled in an outward facing mass, their eyes darting and straining in the confines of the fissure. Jakeen had little access to his money without the risk of discovery. E F A, the notes rang out seemingly from nowhere, and a sudden strong gust of wind knocked the portly lad to the cobbled street.

The youth scrambled to his feet cursing, and dusted his breeches while glancing wildly about. “I don’ like this Sugs,” he stammered, edging away from the group and towards the opening of the alley.

“Git back over ‘ere,” the scruffy Sugs hissed, but the boy scuttled away in cowardice, surprisingly fast for his stout physique.

The four remaining youths stood fast, and the pimply-faced lad swept his blade blindly around the confined space. Jakeen slipped out of reach, focusing on another pattern. Like lighting the candles sitting atop the tables of the Wormy Dog, Jakeen looked at the dirty moth-eaten hats perched on the boys’ heads and played, G A B. Flames flickered to life, and for a few seconds the boys swiveled their heads in amazement at the sudden illumination. Realization dawned on them slowly, and the boys danced in terror as they flung their hats to the street and stamped out the flames.

“Let’s git outta ‘ere,” the tall lanky boy suggested, a quaver in his voice.

“Cheeky enough to steal from me,” thought Jakeen, “but too cowardly to stay for a challenge.”

Unexpectedly the boys took off for the open street, and Jakeen sprang after them in one last hope of recovering his purse. Three of the boys spilled pell-mell from the alley, but Jakeen marveled and halted pursuit as a strong hand reached out and arrested the scruffy boy called Sugs.

“I believe ye still ‘ave property what don’t belong to ye,” a calm voice spoke. The boy hastily dropped the pouch, and head low he fled when the hand gripping him opened. “Thank ye, lad, for bein’ reasonable.”

His dimness spell fading away, Jakeen recovered the pouch from the mouth of the alley, and peered around the corner of the building into the face of his helper. “Thank you sir.”

“Nah problem,” the man dismissed Jakeen’s appreciation. “Name’s Tokes. You’ve a fair talent there bard.”

“Jakeen, sir, and thanks again,” he offered with modesty. He looked over the unassuming young man dressed in a dark cloak and dark trousers with interest.

“I suppose ye be enterin’ the tournament, eh?” Tokes casually asked, appraising Jakeen with shrewd but gentle eyes.

“No sir, I mean I haven’t planned to,” Jakeen stammered. Did this man think him capable of entering the tournament? “I came here hoping to learn from someone more experienced.”

“Ah, ye did,” Tokes mused, “and I bet ye pay a pretty price for lessons.”

“No sir, I have a mentor, and he is a kindly man.”

“Pah,” scoffed Tokes, “A lad of yer talent should enter the tournament. Do well there, and I dare say many a fine mage would beg to have you as a pupil. Much better than lessons from some washed out old wizard.”

With that Tokes turned and strode away, blending with the city much like the street rats had done. Jakeen set out in haste for the Wormy Dog with visions of entering the tournament swirling in his head.

He played brilliantly, his notes pouring over the crowd and ensuring their thirst. In the wee hours of the night, when the last customer stumbled out of the Wormy Dog Tavern, Jakeen accepted his payment from Mace and made his way wearily to his sparse room. He slept soundly and dreamlessly through to the morning, and following the same routine as before upon awakening, he struck out for another lesson with Yahoo.

Jakeen made up his mind on the way to his lesson. He would enter the tournament, although he thought it might not be possible to slip in at such a late date. The first contest would take place the next day, a spectacular event between two powerful mages. His mind continued to dwell on such thoughts as he made his way to Yahoo’s room.

The older man welcomed him with an infectious smile. After a few preliminary greetings, the two set straight to work. This day Jakeen proved more adept at focusing his musical magic, and even played those pleasure notes for a brief period with minimum distraction. How much more could he accomplish with such instruction? For Jakeen the possibilities seemed endless as he thrilled with the accomplishment of grasping the patterns of the magic.

Finally Yahoo relaxed the studies, and the two stepped from the room into the tavern below for a midday meal. Yahoo again smiled.

“I’ve registered for the tournament,” Yahoo began without preamble. “Don’t worry though, I’ll continue to instruct you for as long as we both are in Vlusos. Maybe next tournament you’ll make some fine competition, yeah?”

Jakeen smiled in response. His intention to also register stuck on the tip of his tongue. How would Yahoo feel if he knew that Jakeen intended to register? Would he continue to teach him, knowing that at some point, if they both did well, they might face each other? Jakeen knew he could not hide the information for long if he was allowed to register late. Somehow though he was not quite ready to tell Yahoo of his plans. He struggled with the implications of his silence on the issue, and could not help but feel that he was taking advantage of the man’s kindness by remaining mute. By the same token, he wasn’t prepared to end his lessons just yet, which would most certainly happen if Yahoo didn’t receive the news well. He didn’t know the man enough to judge his reaction.

Making his way once again to the Wormy Dog, Jakeen kept careful track of his belongings. A small party formed around a distinguished looking man near that same fountain where Jakeen had been mugged the night before. Although not his intent, Jakeen could not resist eavesdropping on their conversation once he overheard that the man was entered in the tournament and would face his first competitor tomorrow. Jakeen had even managed the magician’s name, Gregoh.

“I hear they’re allowing late registries, Lord,” wheezed a reedy man accompanying the magician.

“That lout Gorin managed to get himself injured,” scoffed Gregoh. “I imagine he was just too intimidated to face me. After all, better to play sick than lose miserably.” Gregoh and his companions sniggered nastily. “They have to let in late comers to replace all the cowards.”

Jakeen felt disappointment at the jeering attitudes of this man and his consort. However, his heart beat faster with elation at the news that late entrants were being accepted. Seizing his opportunity, he headed quickly towards the Lyceum to register before he would be expected to show at the Wormy Dog.

* The decision point is not clear at this juncture. There are a couple of dilemmas that Jakeen needs to resolve, and I’m certain you players might spot more. Jakeen is registering for the mage’s tournament. What else is he going to do? *

What is Jakeen's next action?
Register for the tournament but hide it from Yahoo until he spots your name on the registry 0
Register for the tournament and discuss it with Yahoo as soon as possible 3
Register under an assumed name and confront Yahoo after your first contest 2
jnmrcs

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject:  

If he gets registered in the tournament, then he has to tell yahoo. I think that it is better that he knows it by Jakeen. We don't know what will be his reaction but it's better to tell him. If he discover by himself that Jakeen get registered then the possibility that he would be mad are high.
Cowofdoom666

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject:  

Interesting situation. But look at it from Yahoo's point of view. He still teaches Jarkeen, therefor he believes his skills are inferior. He would then believe Jarkeen to be an easy target, replacing someone who could possibly be a threat. I don't think then he'd mind much if Jarkeen registered. But the chance of Jarkeen learning less from now on are quite high!
jnmrcs

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject:  

In any way Yahoo can think that he's better than Jakeen. What we need here is to take the lessons if possible. For that, I think, that it's better to tell him.

Anyway, you put me to think in others things. We need to be careful with yahoo. What if he tries something when Jakeen is in training? (If he knows that Jakeen is in the tournament he can do bad things while Jakeen is in training... who knows)

*Needs to think more on this... This is an important decision; we need all players opinions. On that we need to think.*
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject:  

Good points already brought up. If you haven't read the latest chapter of Illusion and Light, you need to check it out too. With the introduction of the ever-so-helpful Tokes in Jakeen's life, there may be more to think about than just Yahoo. Of course, where we're at now in the story, we don't technically know that he's a spy for Gorin yet. Big hint: didn't he appear to know a little too much?
Cowofdoom666

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject:  

Wait a minute.........That's it. I'm getting the feeling that Jarkeen won't be able to trust anyone right now. The Competition is fierce, and people will be willing to cheat when possible! I say Trust no-one. Not even Yahoo.
jnmrcs

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject:  

That's for sure that we don't trust anyone. But here we are talking about other thing.

We need to know if say or not to Yahoo about Jakeen on the tournament. We don't trut anyone, but I still say thet Jakeen has to say it to Yahoo.
Random

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject:  

I believe it would be against his character to not tell him. He might wait until the last minute, perhaps he enters under a false name?

But ultimately our bard is an honest one. I believe he would tell Yahoo if for no other reason, keeping the secret would drive him crazy with guilt.
Cowofdoom666

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject:  

This is the toughest decision yet!

(well, for me anyways.)
Mother Goose

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject:  

Yahoo already has thought about Jakeen's becoming competition at some future date. I don't think it would upset him too much to hear that Jakeen is entering already. He probably doesn't regard him as too much of a threat.

Anyway, if Yahoo is worried about relying too much on the use of magic, wouldn't teaching be a way to earn a good living without indulging in the magic himself? Maybe the benefit is not all to the pupil, but he could gain a reputation as a great teacher, with people flocking to learn from him! (I guess I'm giving suggestions for Yahoo here instead of Jakeen, but the upshot is I think Jakeen should not keep his entry into the tournament a secret.)
jnmrcs

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject:  

You are right. Maybe Yahoo has thought about that Jakeen could be on the tourmnament. So Yahoo maybe knos it, but Jakeen has to tell him. Just for respect to his teacher.
Mordok

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject:  

I only have a few minutes to check in and say hi, so here we go.

HI!

I wasn't able to read your chapters yet Fauna, but I am sure they are your usual quality work. Thanks a million for taking up for my slacker behind. I have a guy building me a new computer, so expect me back at IF soon.

Tell everyone I said hi and that I miss this place in the worst way.

Keep up the good work.

Mordok
Mother Goose

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject:  

Hi Mordok, we miss you too! Good to hear from you.

Fauna has been doing a great job as everybody knew she would, and the epic continues....

Hope your computer is finished soon.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject:  

Mordok wrote: I only have a few minutes to check in and say hi, so here we go.

HI!

I wasn't able to read your chapters yet Fauna, but I am sure they are your usual quality work. Thanks a million for taking up for my slacker behind. I have a guy building me a new computer, so expect me back at IF soon.

Tell everyone I said hi and that I miss this place in the worst way.

Keep up the good work.

Mordok

*hugs*

I look forward to your return. :)

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - Spellsinger
Page 1 of 1