Free online storygaming

Chapter 4: Developments
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - The Master of Illusion and Light
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smee

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Chapter 4: Developments  

So far:

Gorin travelled a long way to get to Vlusos for the Mages Tournament. To announce his arrival he put on an impressive display culminating with a big finale. Finding his way to his accommodation he made himself comfortable for his first evening in a proper bed since his journey began. Whilst receiving a report from his right hand man a rock hurtled through the window, almost colliding with Jarad's head, saved only by Gorin's quick reactions. The rock proved to be a magical trap that almost caught them out. With the room partially destroyed Gorin heads to bed for much needed sleep - plans would begin in the morning...

Chapter 4...

Delicious sleep enclosed around me almost instantly. I don't suffer from nightmares, but disturbing flashes from the trap flew through my head, the details as inconsistent as any dream. Who would attack me so soon after my arrival, why was Jarad wearing a bear costume and dancing with Luc?

"Gorin, Gorin, wake up ... morning here and I can't get through the door."

Jarad's voice jolted through my dream, followed immediately by the magical sense of someone beyond the bedroom door. I must have been in a very deep sleep not to have been woken by it.

With a sleepy wave of my hand I released the hold on the door and called Jarad in. As I rubbed sleep from my eyes I realised how much good the sleep had done. I felt amazing. A smile leapt to my face.

"You seem to be in a good mood this morning."

"I've had some great sleep and I have a plan."

"A plan? Why am I immediately suspicious that you'll be putting yourself in more danger than the plans we had last night"

Jarad's face confirmed his suspicion, his eyes narrowed as he contemplated his master and friend. I noticed a light danced in his eyes, he wasn't too concerned with the danger, more interested in what I had in mind.

"No, no, no, not at all. In fact, it's probably safer."

"Spit it out will you"

"It's easier if I show you."

Knowing that he hated being teased like this made me smile even more, but it was genuinely easier to demonstrate.

Feeling my now full reserves of power I tapped into it and performed the simple but lengthy series of gestures required. With each one my perfectly healthy body became more and more injured. With a final flourish a spectacular black eye appeared on my face.

Jarad's face was first shocked and then he too smiled as he cast his gaze up my spectacular fake injures. Both my legs were black and mangled. A large slash that might have been caused by a flying glass shard decorated my upper chest, surrounded by dozens of smaller cuts and bruising. My right arm hung limp, blackened around the shoulder, and covered with burns. The burns followed up my neck and the right side of my face and scalp - the hair appearing to have been burnt away.

"Wow, that's pretty convincing."

I smiled back "Of course, would you expect anything else!" Jarad's face suddenly screwed up in a grimace.

"Did that not hurt?"

"What?" I responded, feeling confused

"Your face just twisted horribly, did that not hurt?"

Realisation made me smile again, and once again Jarad winced.

"No it doesn't hurt, but it appears that I have achieved a good look if I smile."

"That was a smile..." Jarad's words faded as he half shook his head in disbelief. "So what is the rest of the plan then" he continued.

"Ok, we need to spread the word that I was gravely injured last night. As much as I dislike the idea I'm going to stay in here for the next two days whilst that information circulates. I want my position in the tournament to be safe, but rumour to say that I'm too injured to continue and most likely out of it. Bribe whoever we have to but I want the fight with Gregoh to go ahead as originally planned."

"No problem. What are you going to do on the day of the fight?"

"I'll be carried down to the arena on a litter, clearly showing how injured I am. The litter will appear to be taking me to the audience area, but at the last second I will cast the injuries aside and enter to fight. It's going to require some co-operation from the officials, Gregoh new opponent won't be happy about being delayed."

"I'll sort it. Sindor has a litter I saw in the stables, so no problem there either. Are you ok maintaining the injuries for so long?"

"Absolutely fine, it's no different from maintaining any other outer image which I'm well practiced at."

The nod of grim acknowledgement said what we couldn't voice in this room - he understood.

"I'll get everything done. You had better practice being injured. I'll send someone up with a light breakfast"

"Light! I'm starving, make it a heavy one"

"You're gravely injured, there is no way you'd have the energy to eat much. Plus I'll have to send a medic to see you."

The small details of my plan suddenly dawned on me. Admiration for Jarad came with it. I was always good at the overall plan, but I depended on Jarad on making them work. Realisation of the hell I'd go through for the next two days swamped my good mood and a collapsed helplessly onto the bed.

"That's better" Jarad added with a wry smile, "I must admit I was very surprised to hear you condemn yourself to bed for two days. I thought I'd have to fight you to get you to agree. The medic will be up very soon."

With that sorry news he left. The door closed behind him and I surveyed my 48 hour prison.

Despite my dread, and several times of near suicidal boredom, the time actually passed quite quickly.

I had to remain alert, maintaining the illusions and altering them to match the progress the doctor expected. This required as much detail as possible and any questions I didn't ask were asked by Jarad as he left, merely appearing as a dutiful and deeply concerned servant. Whilst surprised the doctor would answer and between us we managed to keep the charade convincing.

Interspersed with the doctors visits were reports from the spies Jarad kept constantly on watch. Most were mundane, but for some reason Tokes's daily report on the mage that caused the disturbance caught my interest.

The mage's name was Yahoo and despite being a mage of some considerable power spent most of my first day bed bound manually cleaning the inn he'd partially destroyed the night before. Tokes soon confirmed why, he'd been Emflikar for a time and now was reluctant to use magic. A feeling of sympathy welled up in me, but I quickly squashed it. I couldn't afford such thoughts. Regardless, my interest was aroused and Tokes continued to watch.

My first night saw another development. A young musician played in the inn that Yahoo was staying in. Tokes reported that not long after his performance started it was ended suddenly by Yahoo. He then proceeded to take the musician into a backroom for some time. I noticed a strange disappointment in Tokes face as he spoke of the musicians performance ending. It took me a little while but it soon dawned on me why. Yahoo's strange behaviour was now explained: the musician was a latent magician.

The next morning this was confirmed when Tokes witnessed what seemed to be a lesson given by Yahoo. The musicians name was discovered to be Jakeen and by Tokes expression despite only one lesson he was already performing some impressive magic. Despite this he hadn't signed up for the tournament, or even seemed aware of it. He spent his time working in the bar playing music or learning with Yahoo.

An idea came to me then and after some discussion with Jarad we sent Tokes out again, but this time to watch Jakeen. He was to watch for an opportunity to talk to him alone, gauge his personality more and covertly put the idea of the tournament in his head.

I spent some time that night pondering Bard magic. It was certainly an interesting discipline that required immense amount of skill and precision. I'd experienced an attacking Bard when a sting snapped violently. The chord he'd been trying to play had involved fire and it had consumed him and his attacker before either realised what had happened. Shuddering I reaffirmed my desire to learn more of this young Bard, maybe I could help him not make a similar mistake.

The next morning Tokes confirmed he'd managed to approach Jakeen. With interest I forgot myself and energetically sat up in my bed. Thankfully the doctor wasn't present to witness my miraculous display of energy.

"How did you approach?" I asked eagerly,

"Circumstances made it easy. The poor guy got mugged. He's got some spirit though, ran straight into the alleyway to confront them he did. Five of them as well, although only local ruffians. I was on the roof and climbed down into some shadows. I was about to leap in and help as they headed towards him, but then he took up that lute of his and disappeared."

"Disappeared!" I responded "He's found a form of invisibility in just one lesson."

Jarad's wince reminded me that I must have been smiling again.

"They panicked then and started to run. A sudden wind knocked down one of them but the one with his money made a run for it. I grabbed him and quickly persuaded him to drop the money before introducin' meself to Jakeen."

"Excellent, excellent" I'd murmured as he continued.

"He was pretty shy for someone that had just done magic, and seemed a little unsure of just what he'd done. Mentioning the tournament after that display was easy. I think he plans to try and enrol sometime today."

"Good, and with my last minute drop-out they will be allowing late sign-ups. Once he is in they won't be able to take it back, even though I will be taking my place again. You've done well Tokes."
"Thanks sir, with yer permission I'll head back there. I think he is havin' another lesson this morning."

"Certainly, I look forward to hearing about it."

This news along with it being my final day cooped up in the room made me feel much better. Tomorrow I would head down to the arena and enjoy my first fight of the tournament. I spent the rest of the day buzzing with ideas for it.

Just before dark Jarad entered.
"Ready for tomorrow?" he asked, knowing my response and smiling.

"Of course"

"Sure you don't think pulling out completely is the best plan?"

"What...?" I spluttered before finally noticing his smile. I got revenge by smiling back and watching him wince at my face. It would be good to have my uninjured body back.

"Everything is ready here. The litter is standing by and Sindor has provided enough cushions to make an adult Viricut comfortable. I think he worries about you."

Again he smiled, maybe I was paying him enough if he got this much satisfaction from his work I thought idly.

"He'll be paid and thanked for his worry. Did you have any trouble with the tournament officials?"

"Only one, he wasn't willing to accept a bribe like the others. Eventually though he realised that your safety required such subterfuge and conceded."

"I bet Gregoh isn't impressed that I'm out, but he'll be even more unimpressed when I come back. His face will be a picture."

"Please Gorin, stop smiling, that face..."

"Oh, sorry" I replied, unable to stop another grin.

"Tokes told me that he saw Gregoh this evening. He's at the Wormy Dog - the same inn that Jakeen plays at."

"Interesting. I guess news of my injury has reached him."

"It certainly has and he has a colourful collection of words to describe you as well."

"Oh well, he'll have a chance to say them to my face tomorrow. Did our young Bard sign up like we hoped?"

"Last I heard he'd left the inn and was heading that way, but I don't know if he went through with it."

With that we finished up for the night and I settled down to sleep. My dreams were filled with musical notes and gestures, exploding windows and the lyceum. Tomorrow was a big day and even I get nervous.

The morning dawned bright and warm. This was it. With some care I adjusted my injuries, although not by much. Three days wasn't long enough to heal much. The black eye was now a yellow bruise and the cuts all over me were convincingly scabbed over. I quickly stood up and dressed in my fighting robes. I adjusted the illusion to hide my clothes. Within moments of finishing Jarad appeared.

Getting me down to the litter was a humiliating experience. My twisted, blackened legs meant I couldn't show the slightest movement in them and had to be carried through the rooms and corridors. Sindor was very present, wringing his hands and trying to help but Jarad kept overall control.

Finally making it into the litter I breathed a sigh of relief as the curtain was drawn across granting me much needed privacy. However, I knew I couldn't enjoy it for long as I needed myself to be witnessed. With regret I reached out and opened it again.

The litter made it's way through the streets towards the arena. They were packed with people everywhere. Mages of every type were walking around with various servants and assistants following. Market stalls filled the narrow spaces and shops had opened early to take advantage of the potential for profit.

The nerves I'd felt during the night came back with a vengeance and I closed my eyes to try and gain control. As well as preparation for the fight I had also spent a lot of time preparing for another attack on the way. It was the first time I'd been in public since and the attacker would be keen to see and confirm my injuries. They might also try and finish the job.

The turn onto the road to the competitors rooms was coming up. As soon as I headed down there everyone would know I wasn't going to be in the spectators seating. No going back now. Or was there?

Doubts shot through my mind. Despite the bravado I'd come very close to being killed just a few nights ago, closer than I'd been in many years. Maybe I did have a few too many enemies, maybe my public life was becoming too dangerous to risk. Then I remembered why I'd entered again and my resolve stiffened. It had to be done.
Jarad at the front of my small procession was clearing a path, bolding shouting out why.

"Move out, move out, Gorin, the Master of Light coming through."

Most moved with a glint of eagerness to see my litter as I passed, only to grimace at seeing my injuries. Others were less keen to move out the way and stared at me in fascination as I went by. I clearly wasn't universally loved, but I was certainly something to see.

Hiding the gesture under the blanket I feigned sleep with a simple illusion to make my eyes appear closed. I watched them stare, constantly on the look out for any kind of attack.

Suddenly the turning was made and the stares came faster. I almost saw the shift from the general interest of the main street to the confusion of this one. They were suddenly wondering why an injured mage was heading for the fighters entrance.

One man didn't look confused. He looked delighted. Dressed in a black tunic of expensive cloth, with gold brocade embroidering the sleeves and belt he stood out amid the bright colour and modesty of the more common dress in this area. A large black cloak with equally expensive decoration finished the look.

The litter slowed down and I could hear Jarad now shouting at people to move out the way. They didn't seem to be listening. The strangely dressed man was right next to the litter, easily keeping up with the slow speed. With alarm I noticed his left hand twitching under his cloak. Was he gesturing, was he preparing a spell?

I looked into his eyes. They were locked on to me, with a glint of a suppressed smile on his face. Was he about to attack?

My options flew through my head. I could immediately attack him before he finished. This would announce my fake injuries earlier than I wanted, but could I afford to wait?

What if he wasn't about to attack - could I risk injuring someone innocent even if they looked suspicious? I glanced at Jarad. He was still fighting to get the litter through and was completely unaware of this problem.

What do I do?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's been a while, but time to get your thinking caps on again.

I want corrections and problems, ideas and suggestions and plans for the first tournament fight that will be in the next chapter depending on what happens in the vote.

Most importantly, what is Gorin going to do about this odd stranger that appears to beginning an attack?

Happy posting :)
sparta12

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject:  

Great work Smee.
It is indeed worth the wait to read your chapter.
I reckon he should tell Jarad or one of his companions while acting sick to get this pursuer.
Phang

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject:  

Nice one Smee, I agree with Sparta (damn you Sparta I had a similar idea)
Idea master

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject:  

I say...
That the man attacks. But Jarad has an onslaught of soldiers intuition, and turns around to stop the man from attacking just in time. The soldiers carrying the litter then become distracted, and drop the litter, thus granting our little mage a few real injuries and a chance to cause a very large distraction so that the man in black can be apprehended.
And thus is my contribution.
Hows that?
The Powers That Be

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject:  

Hmm, can I do something more subtle? Cast a spell to make him, say, trip and fall while using my power of illusion to keep people from noticing the movements needed for the spell? Something simpler, like closing the curtain? Groan loudly to get Jarad's attention?
Muaddib

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject:  

Keep up the facade. If you throw it away in your impatience, everything will go wrong.
Smee

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject:  

Hey everyone,

I'm back from my holiday, and it's time for a Poll.

Whilst the idea about Jarad suddenly detecting the threat etc. is a good one, we need to focus on what Gorin does. It could be that Jarad will notice, but at the moment Gorin doesn't think that is likely and he needs to choose what to do.

Cast your vote carefully. :D
Smee

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject:  

Come on team - let's get the votes in.

As soon as we have a decision we can get into the first fight - much more interesting. :D

EDIT:

OK, we have 3 votes.

From a team of 7 it's not great.

4 of you are fairly regular members, so once I get 4 votes I'll call it a day and get on with the next chapter.
Smee

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject:  

2 more days and I'll go with the votes I have.
Hyperion

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject:  

That would be... now. Lucky... I was going to take the storygame out of your hands... :D
Smee

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject:  

You could try, my recently arrived friend, but you would fail. :D

And there I was thinking you'd have a comment to make about the four chapters you've just read (I presume). :)

Anyhoo - as I now have 4 votes, and the newest team member has snuck in his vote, I'm now closing voting and will commence the next chapter with:

Cast a spell to make the attacker trip/fall, but try and maintain the injured illusion

Look out for it the day after you expect it. :)
Hyperion

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject:  

Hmm... I read them ages ago, just could never post... I read Jakeen, then Gorin, then Yahoo.

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - The Master of Illusion and Light
Page 1 of 1