Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 4: The Club of the Bizzarre
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - Yahoo: Mind over Magic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-Lotus

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Chapter 4: The Club of the Bizzarre  

Story so far: Yahoo, an old emflikar comes to town to get involved in a Magic tournament, and in his inn he gets into a fight. He finds another magician, Jakeen, and helps him with his magic. A mysterious man talks to Yahoo and leads him into a secluded inn where:

Chapter 4

“What sort of item is this you bring me, stranger?”

The man smiled and pondered on his question. He held the packet with one hand, putting its weight range out of the question for the bearded magician. It; and by it, I refer to the packet, which was covered in a thin layer of almost transparent paper, was also vibrating softly, almost unnoticeably, and in Yahoo’s mind became immediately suspicious...if the irregular sequences hadn't put him in alert already.

“It’s a surprise!” shouted the small man. His widening grin made flow creases through his clean shaven maxilla. Bushy eyebrows and long curly sideburns stared back at Yahoo’s amused and scrutinizing look.

“A surprise, you say, Mr. Zachis?”

Standing majestically above the short and wildly brown toussled haired man, Yahoo’s mirth at the sight of the clownish midget began to give way into his strategic advance of discovering a possible trap. The packet began to shake almost as excitedly as was the man, Zachis. Yahoo gave a step back, preparing some sort of defense for himself, but immediately became unarmed by the little eccentric man’s dance. The dark cloak fell from around Zachis’s shoulders, revealing lively colors that seemed to shine in the damp room of the lothesome inn. A blouse of deep yellow contrasted with sparkling dyed green trousers. As he enigmatically raised his hand in the air, wind started arising form the strange packet.

“Take it!” He cried again, his happy face shining brighter than the wide trousers, which were billowing and flapping as he ran around in circles. He threw the hissing object at Yahoo, his face flushing and his movements abruptly stopping. Yahoo summoned a small net quickly with the turn of his hand and shot it into the path of the flung packet. The objects collided against each other briefly, the net curling around the magical packet with absurd facility. Both objects fell onto the ground with a loud bump, rolling around in an intricate embrace, until they rested in front of the magus’ feet. Yahoo’s eyes slanted and studied his contrary yet again. Silence reigned in the room except for the occasional panting of the colorful clown. Seconds ticked by, both men scrutinizing each other to the limit of insanity. Abruptly, a thin blinding white ray shot out through the corner of the packet. Then, without warning, the whole room exploded into white. As if a star had exploded in the room, everything became a myriad of white upon white, showering Yahoo’s vision with the monotony of the rigorous color. A panic pierced his heart; his vision was blocked from the world, a wall of white invisibility falling on him, beating him back from sight. As abruptly as it had begun, it ended. Yahoo crawled his way out through the rubble of the white invisible wall, into the colorful field of vision that creates the foundation of hope in every survivor’s heart. And what greeted his vision was strange indeed.

“Welcome to the Club of the Bizzarre, Mr. Yahoo!”

A room full of strange and colorful men, smiling at him and regaling him with strange and wonderful gifts stared back at him. Each of them held some sort of item, and they were all holding it out to him from a short distance. Their clothes were a feast of colors, although not as accentuated now by the light which seeped through wide windows which Yahoo hadn’t seen before. A big banner hung across the ceiling, it read, Welcome back, Yahoo in red letters. From his position on the floor, Yahoo wondered at the rich furniture and warm glowing fireplace.

“Where am I?” asked the disbelieving magician from the floor. Zachis’s small and bulky figure materialized and separated from the clot of strange men. He smiled and fell to his knees. In his hand, he held yet another light weight wrapped item. Yahoo scrambled back hastily, his long white beard sweeping up dust from the ill cared floor. Zachis laughed. His nose twitched merrily as he pointed one finger at the wrapping paper. Slowly, the paper began to unfold which wise patience. Then, as the item inside began to show, the wrapping paper suddenly ripped into pieces like if an impatient child were holding it between his eager hands. Zachis picked up the item and pushed it towards Yahoo carefully. The colorful people clapped from behind, their sleeves jumping wildly. Yahoo examined the small item in front of him as he incorporated himself into a sitting position. The members of the Club of the Bizzarre apparently weren’t here to hurt him, so he examined it in silence and tranquility.

It was elongated and ended in a small tip, like an umbrella, except much smaller and orange. Its surface was bumpy but smooth; Yahoo picked it up slowly and held it in his hand.

“It’s a carrot.”

The little man nodded in agreement. Then, he turned to the people behind him and made a signal. The members of the Club of Bizzare turned towards Yahoo again and sucked in air. They began to sing, mimicking the voice of Argula Creep, one of the most famous entertainers in the world. Their fake deep voices rang across the room.

The best club we are
The club of all bizzarre.
We have no scruples
Nor any pupils
And yet we never lose
Because:

We have the power to be good, and we have the power to be bad, we are the bizzarre club, we are the bizzarre club…all the way!

Hello, intelligent magician
We greet you to our club
Hello, Mr. Yahoo
We greet you to our pub
You may want to say
Where’s the stupid beer tub?
No where in this silly song, anyway.

Their chests dropped in exhaustion as they got their breath back. As Yahoo tried to make any sense out of the senseless and ill rymed song, Zachis smiled again. In fact, smiling seemed to be all the man did. With a sweep of his hand, he offered a comfortable chair in front of the fireplace. Yahoo walked over and sat down on the springy cushions. The seven men and four women he now counted sat around the fireplace as well, adjacent to him. Zachis sat in front of him, and smiled…again.

“Would you like to know what this carrot does, Mr. Yahoo?”

Yahoo averted his eyes from the other staring members and concentrated on Zachis.

“Yes.”

“Very well, Mr.Yahoo, I’ll tell you what it is. It holds a secret power, which can answer any question you wish, except for the meaning of life…that would be a little unfair to the carrot, wouldn’t it? I mean, he can’t just be revealing these secrets just like that, you understand Mr.Yahoo? Any question Mr.Yahoo, except those that are unanswerable.”

Yahoo stared at the carrot he held delicately in his hand.

“But…but how does it work?”

“That is for you to figure out, Mr. Yahoo. For now, we’d thought you’d like to know your friend Jakeen is signing into the magic tournament.”

“What? How dare he!”

“Goodbye Mr.Yahoo.”

They were gone. The room was empty. No more funny men, or soft cushiony seats, or fireplace, or bright windows. Yahoo was alone, sitting on a wooden stool. The carrot was still in his hand, but his thoughts were in turmoil. Who were these men? What if Jakeen hadn’t really signed into the tournament and it was all a lie? And if it was true, how dare he enter the same competition as his master while still taking classes from him? Yahoo got up and rushed down the stairs, intent on confronting the foolish young man. The door of the shady inn slammed open as Yahoo rushed out into the windy streets followed by looks of curiosity from inside. He ran, his cloak billowing like he had seen Zachis’s billow comically a few moments before. As he bumped into empty stalls and raced through the wind blown streets, the thought of Zachis’s cloak distraught him from his purpose. He slowed down rhythmically as his temper cooled. What was there to do know? What would he say to Jakeen?
Chainfire

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject:  

coolio D. he should confront Jakeen and hear what he has to say about it. hmmm wat to ask the carrot?
D-Lotus

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject:  

just a little note here:

The Club of the Bizzarre is misspelled on purpose, just to make it more bizarre.
Araex

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject:  

You forgot chapter number in the title :P. A very crazy chapter here. I'm sure if we tried to find the other members or asked about them, we would draw a complete blank and get no where, and only waste a whoole chapter.

In that vein of thought, I think our time would be better spent finding Jakeen, and giving him a good talking to. He is not ready to join yet! He has no control over what he does.

Ask the carrot something about his past: like if he starts using magic for everything again will he return to being an emflikar (or is it jomikar)?
D-Lotus

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject:  

Good idea, but remember that first he has to figure out how to use the carrot (apart from eating it...). I'll wait for some more suggestions then post s poll, to catch up with the other two...
kenshin himura

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject:  

Mabey you should rub it like a magick lamp? Or since it is a carrot you should get it drunk first....
D-Lotus

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject:  

try to get a carrot drunk? Wow.

I'm going to add a poll. Sorry, but it's necessary
Araex

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject:  

I said wait for Jakeen to say something. Let's not use the carrot yet, as we have no pressing questions. It is out of character to shout at Jakeen - we are peaceful, and he might have a good explanation, though we should seek him out.
D-Lotus

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject:  

Ok, I had to break the tie. The poll is closed. Waiting for Jakeen to see what he has to see is the decision. New chapter up soon ,although I must say this to my team: PARTICIPATE MORE!
Araex

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject:  

:( I feel hurt :(

What more do you want us to do?
D-Lotus

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject:  

you're doing fine, I need the other team members to react...
kenshin himura

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject:  

We do react!
it just takes us at least a mont or two... :D
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject:  

New chapter up soon...

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - Yahoo: Mind over Magic
Page 1 of 1